NHL '94 Advanced Strategy?

John Carlos White

Feb 2, 1994, 4:14:52 AM2/2/94
Here at Caltech, things have moved (IMHO) to a different level...

We started with NHL '93 with only one guy knowing the trick and the
rest of us sucking. Gradually we learned "The Move" as we called
it, and games became a little even (though the guy who owned the
sega would still rock the rest of us).

Then '94 came out. The Move didn't seem to work as well, but ...
ONE TIMERS! You could skate down with anyone, one time a shot, and
30% of the time, it would go in!

Then Greg, the guy who owns the Sega, figured out the nuance of the
Move the works on '94 and could do it with about 40% consistency.
He rocked the rest of us again.

Now we have moved into what I like to call our "Modern Age" of
Sega Hockey. Defense consists of sitting a man in the slot to
block the one timer. That guy can block, and check the guy trying
to do "The Move" on us. Offensive strategy seems to center around
skating down the wing and one timing to the slot. The occansional
"Move" shot does get in, but not that often.

I was wondering if anyone has discovered any more advanced strategies,
ones that take a bit of skill? Ones that I was thinking of consisted
of banking the puck off the boards in such a way as to draw the non-
controlled goalie out, but return to the player for the shot...

Possibly a way to make the goalie fall down consistently?

Anyone? Anything else that I haven't even concieved of?

John
--
John White
john...@unholy1.caltech.edu

mako...@saturn.rowan.edu

Feb 2, 1994, 9:01:59 AM2/2/94

I've heard of a new "Move" discussed in this group recently. It is to
skate down the ice on the left or right. When you hit the center line, start
cutting at a 40 degree angle to the goal line. The trick is that you must be
close enough to the goalie (not too close) he'll kick out to try to stop you,
just fire up a slapshot at the opposite side of the goal. The puck hits the
post and bounces in.
Another one is to skate past the goal on either side. Turn around and
skate towards the goalie (again not too close or the goalie will capture the
puck or knock you down), and again fire up a slapshot at the opposite side of
the goal.
You really have to be good at these to get them to work consistently.
Also there is a cheapy goal my roommate and I do when playing as teammates. As
one of us skates down the ice, the other is skating down next to him maybe a
fraction of a second behind. The guy with the puck slapshots it at the goalie,
while the other immediately institutes a massive body check to the goalie. It
isn't enough to knock the goalie down (do they EVER get knocked down?) but 80%
of the time it will knock the puck free right into the goal.
My roommate and I are also getting pretty good at one timers between
each player (ie. I pass to him , he one-times it). It takes practice and good
timing on both our parts.
Good Luck.

BTW, there was talk about a way to get a bench clearing brawl in this game. If
there was an answer I missed it. DOes anyone know the truth to this myth?

-Jim

Brad Murray

Feb 2, 1994, 12:45:07 PM2/2/94
>skating down the wing and one timing to the slot. The occansional
>"Move" shot does get in, but not that often.

The move is still a good breakaway shot. If the other guy takes the goalie,
you go around to the other side and it is an even better burner. Of course
the best defense against it is to only take the goalie sometimes. It is
kind of a chess match.

>Possibly a way to make the goalie fall down consistently?

Go into the corner and come out just in front of the goalie leading with
the backhand. As you hit the middle of the goal, the goalie will dive and the
far corner will be left wide open. This shot is not tough to defend, but
if you keep trying, you will get it eventually. The other defense is to take
the goalie and hit the player as he comes across the mouth or simply cover
the shot.

Brad Murray bmu...@njcc.wisdom.bubble.org

'The more things change, the more they suck.' - Butthead

mako...@saturn.rowan.edu

Feb 3, 1994, 9:49:04 AM2/3/94
In article <94033.110...@psuvm.psu.edu>, Jim D. <JED...@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:
Some complaints : There are never any 2-on-1s or 3-on-1s. When I have
> the computer outmanned my guys either skate behind me
> or so far to the side they're useless.
> The goalie gives up way too many rebounds, esp. on
> long shots that should be easily gobbled up.
> On a lot of goals there's a guy standing in the crease
> and pushing the goalie out of the way. These goals
> should be disallowed.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Jim D. at PSU

I could not agree more. I don't understand how my player slapping a
shot and then running into the goalie is Interference. Yet the computer pushing
my goalie out of the crease isn't. I think the book says that Interference is
something like interfering with the goalie in or on his way back to the crease.
This is blatantly what the computer does. These should be disallowed.
Another goal that should be disallowed is when your own man puts the
puck in himself. I have a problem with my computer controlled players coming
barrelling down the ice when an opponent takes a slapshot that bounces off the
goalie. All of a sudden my guy has the puck, I have control of the guy and I
have to immediately put on the brakes from about two feet from the goal. Of
course I can't and that leads to my man hitting the post and losing the puck
in the net. That shouldn't be allowed. Like a real hockey player would shoot
it in his own net! Shyeah, right, and pigs will fly out of my butt!
Or how about when the goalie (like an idiot) gets the puck from a shot
while at the far left or right of the goal, and then turns around toward the
goal instead of away. The stupid idiot hits the post with his stick and loses
the puck in the net. What do these goalies have for brains?
I have many more gripes but now is not the time. I still like the game
however.

Jim

Shawn ~Shaman~ Box

Feb 3, 1994, 1:00:00 PM2/3/94
As for your defensive man streaking into his own goal..

Try anticipating this and be ready to quickly "up-pass" as soon as he touches i
t..
It takes a while to get used to, but it is much more successful than trying
to pull up at the last second.

** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * Shawn Box Inc. ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * **
Shaman -- One who uses Magik to Cure the sick, Foretell events, and
Control the future
Shawn Box
SBo...@Maine.Maine.Edu !! Hell acts just like Heaven to fool yah !!
* ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** *

John Carlos White

Feb 8, 1994, 3:40:06 PM2/8/94
huy...@seas.gwu.edu (Huy T. Nguyen) writes:

>Well, for advanced strategies, watch a hockey game and pick up the strategies.
>I apply a lot of the tactics that are used in real_ hockey games (isn't that
>the point in these games?) and they work well for me against the computer or
>another player.

Hmmm... I don't know about this...

>To gain the offensive zone, I'll either try to take it in under control or dump
>and chase.

I almost always go into the zone with the puck under control. It isn't as
hard to break out or gain the zone as in real hockey. Dump and chase is
pretty silly...

>Get the two forecheckers in and pound somebody. Once in, I involve
>my pointmen. They are quite_ useful for the players that just like to run
>around and bodycheck people rather than play a smart positional game. Stuff
>like working it down low and then send it back to the point for a shot or a
>quick pass to an open man at the side of the net.

Hmmm... I totally disagree with you here. Shots from the point account for
<5% of the points in '94. If the goalie doesn't have to move, he can stop
the puck. And even ocntrol it.

>For me, the 'move' is almost a non-factor. When I switch to the defenseman,
>I make sure to set myself up so that if I get beat, it's to the outside where
>the opponent has less of a shooting angle. If he tries to cut back across the
>middle I can ride him into the goalie, check him, hook him, etc.

When I play against my friends, they're starting to be able to the move
from any angle of attack on the goal. Checking to offensive player into
the goalie is a good way to set yourself up for a "power" goal. One of
my friends does this thing where he attempts the move, the goalie flattens
but doesn't control the puck, and he just pushes the puck in.

>Speaking of
>which, I rarely throw bodychecks unless it's along the boards. I prefer to
>hook and hold a lot_.

I agree here. I don't think people have quite caught on to that around
here (but they will once they read this).

I just don't think that trying to imitate real hockey is an effective
way to play sega hockey. Sorry.

John Carlos White

Feb 8, 1994, 3:46:41 PM2/8/94
sj...@ns1.cc.lehigh.edu (STEVEN JAY GIBBLE) writes:

>As far as defense is concerned, I've developed mine after getting my
>butt wiped for a long time. Now I am the reigning champ of the house
>because of it. I use to always try to deck the other guy around the
>blue line with the closest guy that I had. This gave up too many
>breakaways. Now, I let my opponents come into the zone, but I also
>allow my defensemen to setup in front of the goal. Then, I let him
>skate around in the corners and stuff and just prevent the centering
>-one-time type pass. This method has worked really well. I don't go
>for the big hit anymore, I just prevent the passes to the center slot
>area. Plus, this really annoys my opponents because they never
>complete any of their one-time pass attempts.

I guess you didn't see my original post on this thread, but this is
exactly the technique that I use on defense to stop the one-timer.
This and effective holding really helps on defense.

John Jansen

Feb 8, 1994, 3:58:49 PM2/8/94
STEVEN JAY GIBBLE (sj...@ns1.cc.lehigh.edu) wrote
: Has anyone out there played goalieless against the computer?
: i.e. Me 6 skaters vs. Computer 5 skates + 1 goalie.
: I played with Vancouver for two games like this.
: I beat the Flyers 7-3, but lost to the Kings in O.T. 5-4. Has anyone
: else done this to make playing the computer more exciting? This
: teaches you how to play defense real quickly. I only used the cheap

I also like to play the computer without a goalie. My best games so far
has been Detroit(me) vs. Vancouver(comp) 8-1. The shot the computer got
was lucky, as I had two men in the box, and the computer hit a real nice
one-timer from behind the goal. I think this is one of the best ways to
learn defense. And defense definitely makes the difference in head to
head play.

-John

c11jo...@skyfox.usask.ca

Feb 14, 1994, 5:00:22 PM2/14/94
Many of the same tricks that worked in the first SEGA Hockey will work in '94
the one thing you have to do is not fall into a rut, like the cheesy deek
move from Hockey '93. I found if you vary the types of shots, you can score
alot of goals (i.e. 35 in a 60 min game).

Marty
:-)

letn...@cnsvax.uwec.edu

Feb 14, 1994, 6:22:45 PM2/14/94

I agree 100% with this post. You may not beable to pull off " the move " every
time down the ice. Instead, try looking for the most probable goal. Even then
you can be shut down with manual goaltending and a well played defense.
Instead of bringing your center at the goalie(manual), think about who you are
skating with. If you are Borque(for example) you realize your accuracy is
high, so you fake the charge, draw the goalie out a ways, then rifle a wrist
shot past him.
happy skating
dan