Calvin's Quiz #91

Calvin

Jan 18, 2011, 8:40:02 PM1/18/11

1 What type of creature is a marmoset?
2 What is carpaccio?
3 What breed of dog is Snoopy?
4 Which author writes the Twilight series of books?
5 What colour is the liqueur Midori?
6 For his role in which 1953 film did Frank Sinatra win an Oscar?
7 The city of Dar es Salaam is located in which African country?
8 Who is currently President of South Africa?
9 What is the women's equivalent of the Davis Cup?
10 Which metal is the best conductor of electricity?

--

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Jan 18, 2011, 10:47:22 PM1/18/11
Calvin wrote:

> 1 What type of creature is a marmoset?

rodent

> 2 What is carpaccio?

probably some kind of coffee

> 3 What breed of dog is Snoopy?

beagle

> 4 Which author writes the Twilight series of books?
> 5 What colour is the liqueur Midori?

yellow

> 6 For his role in which 1953 film did Frank Sinatra win an Oscar?
> 7 The city of Dar es Salaam is located in which African country?

Senegal

> 8 Who is currently President of South Africa?
> 9 What is the women's equivalent of the Davis Cup?
> 10 Which metal is the best conductor of electricity?

silver

--
Dan Tilque

Marc Dashevsky

Jan 18, 2011, 10:45:27 PM1/18/11
In article <op.vpi78...@04233-jyhzp1s.staff.ad.bond.edu.au>, cal...@phlegm.com says...

> 1 What type of creature is a marmoset?
monkey

> 2 What is carpaccio?
thinly sliced raw beef

> 3 What breed of dog is Snoopy?

beagle

> 4 Which author writes the Twilight series of books?
> 5 What colour is the liqueur Midori?

blue

> 6 For his role in which 1953 film did Frank Sinatra win an Oscar?

From Here To Eternity

> 7 The city of Dar es Salaam is located in which African country?

Tanzania

> 8 Who is currently President of South Africa?

Zuma

> 9 What is the women's equivalent of the Davis Cup?
> 10 Which metal is the best conductor of electricity?

gold

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Chris F.A. Johnson

Jan 18, 2011, 11:15:47 PM1/18/11
On 2011-01-19, Calvin wrote:

> 1 What type of creature is a marmoset?

Monkey

> 2 What is carpaccio?

15/16th C. Italian painter
or thinly sliced raw meat or fish

> 3 What breed of dog is Snoopy?

Beagle

> 4 Which author writes the Twilight series of books?
> 5 What colour is the liqueur Midori?

Green

> 6 For his role in which 1953 film did Frank Sinatra win an Oscar?

From Here to Eternity

> 7 The city of Dar es Salaam is located in which African country?

Tanzania

> 8 Who is currently President of South Africa?
> 9 What is the women's equivalent of the Davis Cup?
> 10 Which metal is the best conductor of electricity?

Gold

--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>
Author: =======================

Mark Brader

Jan 18, 2011, 11:25:02 PM1/18/11
"Calvin":

> 1 What type of creature is a marmoset?

Monkey.

> 2 What is carpaccio?

Italian food?

> 3 What breed of dog is Snoopy?

Beagle.

> 4 Which author writes the Twilight series of books?

Stephenie Meyer, with 5 E's.

> 5 What colour is the liqueur Midori?

Red?

> 6 For his role in which 1953 film did Frank Sinatra win an Oscar?

From Here to Eternity", I think.

> 7 The city of Dar es Salaam is located in which African country?

Tanzania.

> 8 Who is currently President of South Africa?

Johnson.

> 9 What is the women's equivalent of the Davis Cup?

No idea. Now if you'd asked about the Bermuda Bowl...

> 10 Which metal is the best conductor of electricity?

Silver. Above cryogenic temperatures it is, that is.
--
Mark Brader "Poor spelling does not prove poor knowledge,
Toronto but is fatal to the argument by intimidation."

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 19, 2011, 3:34:40 AM1/19/11
Calvin (cal...@phlegm.com) writes:
> 2 What is carpaccio?

Thin slices of rare meat.

> 3 What breed of dog is Snoopy?

Beagle

> 5 What colour is the liqueur Midori?

Greem

> 7 The city of Dar es Salaam is located in which African country?

Tanzania

> 8 Who is currently President of South Africa?

Jacob Zuma

> 9 What is the women's equivalent of the Davis Cup?

Federation Cup

> 10 Which metal is the best conductor of electricity?

Silver

Jeffrey Turner

Jan 19, 2011, 10:54:45 PM1/19/11
On 1/18/2011 8:40 PM, Calvin wrote:

> 1 What type of creature is a marmoset?
small mammal

> 2 What is carpaccio?
> 3 What breed of dog is Snoopy?
beagle

> 4 Which author writes the Twilight series of books?
> 5 What colour is the liqueur Midori?
green

> 6 For his role in which 1953 film did Frank Sinatra win an Oscar?
> 7 The city of Dar es Salaam is located in which African country?
Senegal

> 8 Who is currently President of South Africa?
> 9 What is the women's equivalent of the Davis Cup?
> 10 Which metal is the best conductor of electricity?
Platinum

--Jeff

--
"We can have democracy in this country,
or we can have great wealth concentrated

Peter Smyth

Jan 20, 2011, 7:32:52 PM1/20/11

"Calvin" <cal...@phlegm.com> wrote in message

> 1 What type of creature is a marmoset?

Monkey
> 2 What is carpaccio?

Bread

> 3 What breed of dog is Snoopy?
> 4 Which author writes the Twilight series of books?
> 5 What colour is the liqueur Midori?

green

> 6 For his role in which 1953 film did Frank Sinatra win an Oscar?
> 7 The city of Dar es Salaam is located in which African country?

Ethiopia

> 8 Who is currently President of South Africa?

Zuma

> 9 What is the women's equivalent of the Davis Cup?

Fed Cup

> 10 Which metal is the best conductor of electricity?

Copper

Peter Smyth

Calvin

Jan 21, 2011, 1:03:44 AM1/21/11
On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 11:40:02 +1000, Calvin <cal...@phlegm.com> wrote:

> 1 What type of creature is a marmoset?

Monkey
4/7

> 2 What is carpaccio?

An Italian appetizer consisting of raw beef or other meat. "Food" only
gets half a point sorry Mark, but you will insist on giving as broad an
answer as possible :-)
3.5/7

> 3 What breed of dog is Snoopy?

Beagle
6/7

> 4 Which author writes the Twilight series of books?

Stephenie Meyer
1/7
Well done Mark

> 5 What colour is the liqueur Midori?

Green
4/7

> 6 For his role in which 1953 film did Frank Sinatra win an Oscar?

From Here to Eternity
3/7

> 7 The city of Dar es Salaam is located in which African country?

Tanzania
4/7

> 8 Who is currently President of South Africa?

Jacob Zuma
3/7

> 9 What is the women's equivalent of the Davis Cup?

The Fed (formerly Federation) Cup
2/7

> 10 Which metal is the best conductor of electricity?

Silver (above absolute zero anyway)
3/7

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL Quiz 91
1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 6 Chris Johnson
0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 2 Dan Tilque
0 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 7 Erland S
0 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 Jeffrey Turner
1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 6 Marc Dashevsky
1 0.5 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 6.5 Mark Brader
1 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 4 Peter Smyth
4 3.5 6 1 4 3 4 3 2 3 33.5 TOTAL
48%

A tough quiz with an average < 50%. Congratulations to Erland- his first
win IIRC.

--

cheers,
calvin

Calvin

Jan 23, 2011, 5:49:16 PM1/23/11
On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 16:03:44 +1000, Calvin <cal...@phlegm.com> wrote:

> Congratulations to Erland- his first win IIRC.

Why don't we start a rotating quiz? The winner of the previous one sets
the next 10 questions. Over to you Erland...

[Calvin's quiz will continue regardless.]

--

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 24, 2011, 4:20:52 PM1/24/11
Calvin (cal...@phlegm.com) writes:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 16:03:44 +1000, Calvin <cal...@phlegm.com> wrote:
>
>> Congratulations to Erland- his first win IIRC.
>
> Why don't we start a rotating quiz? The winner of the previous one sets
> the next 10 questions. Over to you Erland...

I have a feeling that this could die out fairly quickly. Or people will
do everything to be second best!

But, OK, here are 10 questions. I can't promise to be as quick to score as
Calvin. I will probably not come around to it until Friday.

1. In the seventies there was a British TV series "The Brothers" that
circled around the company Hammond Transport. But what was the name of
the three brothers?

2. In which country Guaran� both the name of a currency and a widely
spoken language?

3. The World Championships in men's Handball is being played this week.
Which country through the years have assembled most medals in total?

4. In the original recording of Jesus Christ Superstar, who sang the
role of Jesus?

5. In the 1380s Lithuania was the last European country to do what?

6. Donald Tusk is the Prime Minister of which country?

7. "Sakura" is widely celebrated part of the year in Japan. What is it
all about?

8. What kind of animal is a �and�? (You need to be a little more specific
than just saying mammal/fish/bird/etc.)

9. What type of music is Carlos Gardel famous for?

10. How many lashes did Pilate order for Jesus?

Rules as usual: no research, post answers to the newsgroup, and don't
peek ahead!

swp

Jan 24, 2011, 4:31:47 PM1/24/11
On Jan 24, 4:20 pm, Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote:
> Calvin (cal...@phlegm.com) writes:
> > On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 16:03:44 +1000, Calvin <cal...@phlegm.com> wrote:
>
> >>  Congratulations to Erland- his first win IIRC.

congratulations indeed. I would not have scored as many had I
entered, so it is a well earned victory in my eyes.

> > Why don't we start a rotating quiz? The winner of the previous one sets
> > the next 10 questions. Over to you Erland...
>
> I have a feeling that this could die out fairly quickly. Or people will
> do everything to be second best!

interesting. challenge accepted. let's see if we can get Mark Brader
to win next and force a rare entries contest out of him. ;-)

> But, OK, here are 10 questions. I can't promise to be as quick to score as
> Calvin. I will probably not come around to it until Friday.

better than I could usually do

> 8. What kind of animal is a and ? (You need to be a little more specific
>    than just saying mammal/fish/bird/etc.)
>

> Rules as usual: no research, post answers to the newsgroup, and don't
> peek ahead!

can I ask for clarification on #8 above?

this is an excellent set of questions!

swp

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 24, 2011, 4:57:42 PM1/24/11
swp (stephen...@gmail.com) writes:
>> 8. What kind of animal is a and ? (You need to be a little more specific
>>    than just saying mammal/fish/bird/etc.)
>>

>> Rules as usual: no research, post answers to the newsgroup, and don't
>> peek ahead!
>
> can I ask for clarification on #8 above?

You need a better newsreader! Or your newsreader does not like that I
use Windows-1252 for the encoding.

The name of the anmial is <n-tilde>and<u-acute>.

I question #2 the last character is "i" with acute accent over it,
guaran<i-acute>.

Mark Brader

Jan 24, 2011, 6:49:12 PM1/24/11
Erland Sommarskog:
> 2. In which country Guaran� both the name of a currency and a widely
> spoken language?

Paraguay.

> 3. The World Championships in men's Handball is being played this week.
> Which country through the years have assembled most medals in total?

Sweden?

> 5. In the 1380s Lithuania was the last European country to do what?

Have a Black Death outbreak?

> 6. Donald Tusk is the Prime Minister of which country?

Sweden?

> 7. "Sakura" is widely celebrated part of the year in Japan. What is it
> all about?

Swed... er, maybe not. Winter solstice?

> 9. What type of music is Carlos Gardel famous for?

None. :-)

> 10. How many lashes did Pilate order for Jesus?

40?
--
Mark Brader | "I think it's safe to say that no person can hope to
Toronto | achieve basic life competence without consulting my

Marc Dashevsky

Jan 24, 2011, 7:39:38 PM1/24/11
In article <Xns9E77E3561...@127.0.0.1>, esq...@sommarskog.se says...

> Calvin (cal...@phlegm.com) writes:
> > On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 16:03:44 +1000, Calvin <cal...@phlegm.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Congratulations to Erland- his first win IIRC.
> >
> > Why don't we start a rotating quiz? The winner of the previous one sets
> > the next 10 questions. Over to you Erland...
>
> I have a feeling that this could die out fairly quickly. Or people will
> do everything to be second best!
>
> But, OK, here are 10 questions. I can't promise to be as quick to score as
> Calvin. I will probably not come around to it until Friday.
>
> 1. In the seventies there was a British TV series "The Brothers" that
> circled around the company Hammond Transport. But what was the name of
> the three brothers?
>
> 2. In which country Guaraní both the name of a currency and a widely
> spoken language?
Spain

> 3. The World Championships in men's Handball is being played this week.
> Which country through the years have assembled most medals in total?

Sweden

> 4. In the original recording of Jesus Christ Superstar, who sang the
> role of Jesus?
>
> 5. In the 1380s Lithuania was the last European country to do what?

go Christian

> 6. Donald Tusk is the Prime Minister of which country?
>
> 7. "Sakura" is widely celebrated part of the year in Japan. What is it
> all about?

blossoming of cherry trees

> 8. What kind of animal is a ñandú? (You need to be a little more specific

> than just saying mammal/fish/bird/etc.)
>
> 9. What type of music is Carlos Gardel famous for?

flamenco

> 10. How many lashes did Pilate order for Jesus?

13

Calvin

Jan 24, 2011, 9:24:16 PM1/24/11
On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 07:20:52 +1000, Erland Sommarskog
<esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote:

> 1. In the seventies there was a British TV series "The Brothers" that
> circled around the company Hammond Transport. But what was the name of
> the three brothers?

Well if it isn't Hammond...

> 2. In which country Guaraní both the name of a currency and a widely

> spoken language?
>
> 3. The World Championships in men's Handball is being played this week.
> Which country through the years have assembled most medals in total?

Sweden!

> 4. In the original recording of Jesus Christ Superstar, who sang the
> role of Jesus?
>
> 5. In the 1380s Lithuania was the last European country to do what?
>
> 6. Donald Tusk is the Prime Minister of which country?

Poland

> 7. "Sakura" is widely celebrated part of the year in Japan. What is it
> all about?
>

> 8. What kind of animal is a ñandú? (You need to be a little more specific

> than just saying mammal/fish/bird/etc.)
>
> 9. What type of music is Carlos Gardel famous for?
>
> 10. How many lashes did Pilate order for Jesus?

40

Serves me right I suppose :-)

--

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 25, 2011, 3:11:49 PM1/25/11
Erland Sommarskog (esq...@sommarskog.se) writes:
> 1. In the seventies there was a British TV series "The Brothers" that
> circled around the company Hammond Transport. But what was the name of
> the three brothers?

Of course, I am looking for the first names.

> 2. In which country Guaraní both the name of a currency and a widely
> spoken language?

If you have problems with the character set, the last character is
i with an accent: guaran<i-acute>

> 8. What kind of animal is a ñandú? (You need to be a little more specific
> than just saying mammal/fish/bird/etc.)

For those who have problems with the character set, the first letter is
n-tilde and the last is an accented "u": <n-tilde>and<u-acute>.

swp

Jan 25, 2011, 5:16:05 PM1/25/11
On Jan 24, 4:20 pm, Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote:
> But, OK, here are 10 questions. I can't promise to be as quick to score as
> Calvin. I will probably not come around to it until Friday.
>
> 1. In the seventies there was a British TV series "The Brothers" that
>    circled around the company Hammond Transport. But what was the name of
>    the three brothers?

edward, richard, thomas; edward, john, clive

> 2. In which country Guaran both the name of a currency and a widely
>    spoken language?

paraguay (I learned it on an episode of 'monk')

> 3. The World Championships in men's Handball is being played this week.
>    Which country through the years have assembled most medals in total?

norway

> 4. In the original recording of Jesus Christ Superstar, who sang the
>    role of Jesus?

mark brader

> 5. In the 1380s Lithuania was the last European country to do what?

convert to christianity

> 6. Donald Tusk is the Prime Minister of which country?

fleetwood mac

> 7. "Sakura" is widely celebrated part of the year in Japan. What is it
>    all about?

drinking copious amounts of saki

> 8. What kind of animal is a and ? (You need to be a little more specific
>    than just saying mammal/fish/bird/etc.)

rhea, a large flightless bird with 3 toes. kinda like an emu only
different.

> 9. What type of music is Carlos Gardel famous for?

he isn't

> 10. How many lashes did Pilate order for Jesus?

none of the four gospels give a count that I know of - but the
tradition from the law of moses was 40 lashes (save 1)

swp

Dan Tilque

Jan 28, 2011, 6:56:34 AM1/28/11
Erland Sommarskog wrote:

> 1. In the seventies there was a British TV series "The Brothers" that
> circled around the company Hammond Transport. But what was the name of
> the three brothers?
>

> 2. In which country Guaran� both the name of a currency and a widely
> spoken language?

Paraguay

> 3. The World Championships in men's Handball is being played this week.
> Which country through the years have assembled most medals in total?

Hungary

> 4. In the original recording of Jesus Christ Superstar, who sang the
> role of Jesus?
>
> 5. In the 1380s Lithuania was the last European country to do what?

convert to Chritianity

> 6. Donald Tusk is the Prime Minister of which country?
>
> 7. "Sakura" is widely celebrated part of the year in Japan. What is it
> all about?

all I know is that that's the name of Japanese/Chinese restaurant near
where I work.

> 8. What kind of animal is a �and�? (You need to be a little more specific
> than just saying mammal/fish/bird/etc.)

rodent

> 9. What type of music is Carlos Gardel famous for?
>
> 10. How many lashes did Pilate order for Jesus?

30

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 28, 2011, 4:17:07 PM1/28/11
> 1. In the seventies there was a British TV series "The Brothers" that
> circled around the company Hammond Transport. But what was the name of
> the three brothers?

Edward, Brian and Dick

Only Stephen tried this and got it about half-right.

I'm sorry if people found the question too obscure, but it seems that
quizzes should include TV questions. I am afraid that The Brothers is
about the only TV drama I possess knowledge to ask about.

½/4

> 2. In which country Guaraní both the name of a currency and a widely
> spoken language?

Paraguay. Guaraní is also spoken in Bolivia and Argentina, and probably
also in Brazil and Uruguay.

3/5

> 3. The World Championships in men's Handball is being played this week.
> Which country through the years have assembled most medals in total?

Sweden, indeed. 10 in total if I recall correctly. Maybe there will be
an 11th if we win the bronze match.

3/5

I figured that if Calvin can ask about cricket, I could ash about handball.
At least I did not ask about bandy! (Incidently, the world championships
in bandy is also on this week. Australia sadly had to withdraw, though.)

> 4. In the original recording of Jesus Christ Superstar, who sang the
> role of Jesus?

Ian Gillan. Also known the lead singer of Deep Purple.

> 5. In the 1380s Lithuania was the last European country to do what?

Abandon paganism.

3/5

Everyone answered on the lines "adopting Christianity", and I awarded
full points, since it meets the spirit of the question. However, it is
not really correct, since after Lithuania's conversion there were still
three non-Christian states in Europe. Then again, none of them ever
converted to Christianity. Two of them ceased to exist, and the third
retains the same religion as in the 14th century.

Are you able to spot any of them?

> 6. Donald Tusk is the Prime Minister of which country?

Poland. No, the name is not very typical Polish.

1/5

> 7. "Sakura" is widely celebrated part of the year in Japan. What is it
> all about?

Cherry blossom. And, yes, it does lead to some consumption of sake, but
it's a lot more than so. Most of all, it is immensly beautitful. And
they take it very seriously. For instance on
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/indepth/seasonal/sakura2010/ you can see
how the cherry bloosom progressed over Japan in 2010. It's a little
too early to see the predictions for 2011, but they will be up in due time.

1/5

> 8. What kind of animal is a ñandú? (You need to be a little more specific
> than just saying mammal/fish/bird/etc.)

It's a bird with long legs and long neck, but without wings. Similar to
the ostrich and the emu, but not as tall.

In English the name of the bird is rhea, but since I've seen the bird
in Argentina, and my native language is not English, it did not occur
to me that the bird has an English name.

1/5

> 9. What type of music is Carlos Gardel famous for?

Tango. Don't go to Argentina without knowing who he is!

> 10. How many lashes did Pilate order for Jesus?

So this was really a poor question! Stephen got it perfectly right. There
are no numbers in the bible, but from a rule that 40 lashes would mean
death it has been inferred that the number was 39.

When I read Calvin's challenge I had Jesus Christ Superstar in my
headphones (an alternative recording, not the original, though), which
inspired two of the questions in the quiz. If you are a fan of Jesus
Christ Superstar you do of course "know" that the number is 39, since
"The 39 Lashes" are part of "Trial Before Pilate". It was not until
that people gave other numbers, that I looked it up in the bible, and
when that gave nothing I tried Google and found a discussion along
what Stephen said.

1/5

Scores:

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 Total
Mark B 1 1 2
Marc D 1 1 1 3
Calvin 1 1 2
swp ½ 1 1 1 1 4½
Dan T 1 1 2

Stephen, it's up to you now!

Mark Brader

Jan 28, 2011, 6:07:59 PM1/28/11
Erland Sommarskog:

> > 5. In the 1380s Lithuania was the last European country to do what?
> Everyone answered on the lines "adopting Christianity" ...

No, I guessed they had a Black Death outbreak. At least I got it that
it was *some* sort of disaster.

> Stephen, it's up to you now!

For future quizzes in this series, may I suggest a subject-line
designation along the lines of "Rotating quiz #2" or "Rotating
quiz #2 by Stephen"? Otherwise it might get confusing when it gets
back to Calvin.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
"Insecurity is the norm. If any ... voting machine, operating system,

swp

Jan 28, 2011, 7:55:11 PM1/28/11
On Jan 28, 6:07 pm, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:
> For future quizzes in this series, may I suggest a subject-line
> designation along the lines of "Rotating quiz #2" or "Rotating
> quiz #2 by Stephen"?  Otherwise it might get confusing when it gets
> back to Calvin.

so let it be written, so let it be done!

swp

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 29, 2011, 5:53:43 AM1/29/11
Erland Sommarskog (esq...@sommarskog.se) writes:
>> 1. In the seventies there was a British TV series "The Brothers" that
>> circled around the company Hammond Transport. But what was the name of
>> the three brothers?
>
> Edward, Brian and Dick
>
> Only Stephen tried this and got it about half-right.
>
> I'm sorry if people found the question too obscure, but it seems that
> quizzes should include TV questions. I am afraid that The Brothers is
> about the only TV drama I possess knowledge to ask about.

And maybe I not even that. The youngest brother was named David, not Dick.

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 29, 2011, 5:56:11 AM1/29/11
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Erland Sommarskog:
>> > 5. In the 1380s Lithuania was the last European country to do what?
>> Everyone answered on the lines "adopting Christianity" ...
>
> No, I guessed they had a Black Death outbreak. At least I got it that
> it was *some* sort of disaster.

Yeah, but I meant everyone who had a clue. :-)

swp

Jan 29, 2011, 9:44:38 AM1/29/11

my guesses were of the wild variety on this question, so any
resemblance to correct answers were merely coincidental.

swp

Calvin

Jan 30, 2011, 8:08:35 PM1/30/11
On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 07:17:07 +1000, Erland Sommarskog
<esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote:

>> 3. The World Championships in men's Handball is being played this week.
>> Which country through the years have assembled most medals in total?
>
> Sweden, indeed. 10 in total if I recall correctly. Maybe there will be
> an 11th if we win the bronze match.
>
> 3/5
>
> I figured that if Calvin can ask about cricket, I could ash about
> handball.
> At least I did not ask about bandy! (Incidently, the world championships
> in bandy is also on this week. Australia sadly had to withdraw, though.)

I have played Kubb with a Swedish friend so feel free to ask questions
about that :-)

--

cheers,
calvin

Calvin

Jan 30, 2011, 8:11:26 PM1/30/11
On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 09:07:59 +1000, Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> For future quizzes in this series, may I suggest a subject-line
> designation along the lines of "Rotating quiz #2" or "Rotating
> quiz #2 by Stephen"? Otherwise it might get confusing when it gets
> back to Calvin.

I assume you mean "if"...

--

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 31, 2011, 3:45:11 PM1/31/11
Erland Sommarskog (esq...@sommarskog.se) writes:
> Everyone answered on the lines "adopting Christianity", and I awarded
> full points, since it meets the spirit of the question. However, it is
> not really correct, since after Lithuania's conversion there were still
> three non-Christian states in Europe. Then again, none of them ever
> converted to Christianity. Two of them ceased to exist, and the third
> retains the same religion as in the 14th century.
>
> Are you able to spot any of them?

The three are the Caliphate of Granada, The Ottoman Empire and the
Golden Horde. All three muslim.