QFTCIMM16 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: member nations, historians

Mark Brader

Mar 13, 2017, 4:52:49 AM3/13/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-21,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 9, Round 7 - Geography - Member Nations and Cooperations

Here are 10 questions about international organizations and their
member states.

1. There are only 3 European countries that are members of the
Commonwealth of Nations. Two of them are the UK and Malta.
What's the third?

2. Many entities are given observer status in the UN (such as
the OECD or the European Union), but there are only two
observer *states*. One has had that status since 1964, the
other (under various guises and names) since 1974. Name either
(current name only please).

3. There are two island countries considered self-governing
states in "free association" with New Zealand. This prevents
them from becoming members of the UN, but they participate in
its organizations and agencies. Name either.

4. In how many of the G7 countries do people normally drive on
the left side of the road?

5. There are 188 signatories of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation
Treaty, and 4 UN member nations that have never signed it.
Name *any one* of the four. (Hint: It's a pretty sure thing
that three of them have nuclear weapons.)

6. Which OPEC member lies entirely in the Southern Hemisphere?

7. Besides the US and the UK, what other G7 country is also a
permanent member of the UN Security Council?

8. Angola, Mozambique, Equatorial Guinea, and three other African
countries are members of a cultural and educational association
called PALOP, also known as Lusophone Africa. What do they
all have in common that qualifies them for this organization?

9. The Arctic Council is composed of 8 countries that have territory
in the Arctic. Three of them are kingdoms. Name one of those
kingdoms.

10. At 724 km², which city-state is the smallest signatory of the
Trans Pacific Partnership?

* Game 9, Round 8 - History of History - Historians

1. Name the so called "father of history", a Greek born in Turkey
who lived 484-425 BC.

2. Which English historian and parliamentarian wrote "The History
of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire"?

3. Name the writer of "Origines" ("Origins"), the first recorded
prose history written in Latin. He was a conservative Roman
senator and orator who lived 234-149 BC.

4. Name the Scottish philosopher (1711-1776) who wrote the 6-volume
"History of England, from the invasion of Julius Caesar to the
revolution of 1688".

5. Name the American writer, philosopher, and historian (1885-1981)
best known for "The Story of Civilization", an 11-volume work
written in collaboration with his wife.

6. Name the French Enlightenment writer, historian, and philosopher
(1694-1778) who helped develop the idea of historiography in
works such as "The Age of Louis XIV" and "The Customs and Spirit
of the Nations".

7. Name the politician, statesman, and artist who wrote "A History
of the English-Speaking Peoples", a 4-volume work covering from
Caesar's invasion to World War I.

8. A Canadian professor of political economy at the University of
Toronto he wrote largely on Canadian Economic History. Also the
developer of the "staples theory", regarding Canada's reliance
on exporting natural resources.

9. Name the French diplomat, political scientist, and historian
(1805-59) whose best-known works are "Democracy in America"
and "The Old Regime and the Revolution".

10. Name the English historian and broadcaster (1906-90) who penned
"The Origins of the Second World War" and "The Struggle for
Mastery in Europe".

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "UNIX ... the essential partner for
m...@vex.net | eyespot or rynchosporium control in barley."

Dan Blum

Mar 13, 2017, 8:45:04 AM3/13/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Geography - Member Nations and Cooperations

> 1. There are only 3 European countries that are members of the
> Commonwealth of Nations. Two of them are the UK and Malta.
> What's the third?

Cyprus

> 2. Many entities are given observer status in the UN (such as
> the OECD or the European Union), but there are only two
> observer *states*. One has had that status since 1964, the
> other (under various guises and names) since 1974. Name either
> (current name only please).

Taiwan

> 3. There are two island countries considered self-governing
> states in "free association" with New Zealand. This prevents
> them from becoming members of the UN, but they participate in
> its organizations and agencies. Name either.

Nauru

1

> 5. There are 188 signatories of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation
> Treaty, and 4 UN member nations that have never signed it.
> Name *any one* of the four. (Hint: It's a pretty sure thing
> that three of them have nuclear weapons.)

India

> 6. Which OPEC member lies entirely in the Southern Hemisphere?

Angola

> 7. Besides the US and the UK, what other G7 country is also a
> permanent member of the UN Security Council?

France

> 8. Angola, Mozambique, Equatorial Guinea, and three other African
> countries are members of a cultural and educational association
> called PALOP, also known as Lusophone Africa. What do they
> all have in common that qualifies them for this organization?

Portuguese is an official language

> 9. The Arctic Council is composed of 8 countries that have territory
> in the Arctic. Three of them are kingdoms. Name one of those
> kingdoms.

Norway

> 10. At 724 km?, which city-state is the smallest signatory of the
> Trans Pacific Partnership?

Singapore

> * Game 9, Round 8 - History of History - Historians

> 1. Name the so called "father of history", a Greek born in Turkey
> who lived 484-425 BC.

Herodotus

> 2. Which English historian and parliamentarian wrote "The History
> of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire"?

Gibbon

> 3. Name the writer of "Origines" ("Origins"), the first recorded
> prose history written in Latin. He was a conservative Roman
> senator and orator who lived 234-149 BC.

Cato the Elder

> 5. Name the American writer, philosopher, and historian (1885-1981)
> best known for "The Story of Civilization", an 11-volume work
> written in collaboration with his wife.

Durant

> 6. Name the French Enlightenment writer, historian, and philosopher
> (1694-1778) who helped develop the idea of historiography in
> works such as "The Age of Louis XIV" and "The Customs and Spirit
> of the Nations".

Voltaire

> 7. Name the politician, statesman, and artist who wrote "A History
> of the English-Speaking Peoples", a 4-volume work covering from
> Caesar's invasion to World War I.

Churchill

> 9. Name the French diplomat, political scientist, and historian
> (1805-59) whose best-known works are "Democracy in America"
> and "The Old Regime and the Revolution".

de Tocqeville

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Mar 13, 2017, 9:20:24 AM3/13/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:i6qdncQ-oOBBwFvFnZ2dnUU7-
cnN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Geography - Member Nations and Cooperations
>
> Here are 10 questions about international organizations and their
> member states.
>
> 1. There are only 3 European countries that are members of the
> Commonwealth of Nations. Two of them are the UK and Malta.
> What's the third?

Cyprus

> 2. Many entities are given observer status in the UN (such as
> the OECD or the European Union), but there are only two
> observer *states*. One has had that status since 1964, the
> other (under various guises and names) since 1974. Name either
> (current name only please).

Palestine

> 3. There are two island countries considered self-governing
> states in "free association" with New Zealand. This prevents
> them from becoming members of the UN, but they participate in
> its organizations and agencies. Name either.

Cook Islands

> 4. In how many of the G7 countries do people normally drive on
> the left side of the road?

1; 2

> 5. There are 188 signatories of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation
> Treaty, and 4 UN member nations that have never signed it.
> Name *any one* of the four. (Hint: It's a pretty sure thing
> that three of them have nuclear weapons.)

Pakistan

> 6. Which OPEC member lies entirely in the Southern Hemisphere?

Gabon; Angola

> 7. Besides the US and the UK, what other G7 country is also a
> permanent member of the UN Security Council?

France

> 8. Angola, Mozambique, Equatorial Guinea, and three other African
> countries are members of a cultural and educational association
> called PALOP, also known as Lusophone Africa. What do they
> all have in common that qualifies them for this organization?

all have Portuguese as an official language

> 9. The Arctic Council is composed of 8 countries that have territory
> in the Arctic. Three of them are kingdoms. Name one of those
> kingdoms.

Norway

> 10. At 724 km², which city-state is the smallest signatory of the
> Trans Pacific Partnership?

Singapore

> * Game 9, Round 8 - History of History - Historians
>
> 1. Name the so called "father of history", a Greek born in Turkey
> who lived 484-425 BC.

Herodotus

> 2. Which English historian and parliamentarian wrote "The History
> of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire"?

Gibbon

> 5. Name the American writer, philosopher, and historian (1885-1981)
> best known for "The Story of Civilization", an 11-volume work
> written in collaboration with his wife.

Durant

> 7. Name the politician, statesman, and artist who wrote "A History
> of the English-Speaking Peoples", a 4-volume work covering from
> Caesar's invasion to World War I.

Churchill

> 9. Name the French diplomat, political scientist, and historian
> (1805-59) whose best-known works are "Democracy in America"
> and "The Old Regime and the Revolution".

Tocqueville

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Mar 13, 2017, 9:21:34 AM3/13/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Geography - Member Nations and Cooperations
>
> Here are 10 questions about international organizations and their
> member states.
>
> 1. There are only 3 European countries that are members of the
> Commonwealth of Nations. Two of them are the UK and Malta.
> What's the third?

Cyprus

> 2. Many entities are given observer status in the UN (such as
> the OECD or the European Union), but there are only two
> observer *states*. One has had that status since 1964, the
> other (under various guises and names) since 1974. Name either
> (current name only please).

Holy See

> 3. There are two island countries considered self-governing
> states in "free association" with New Zealand. This prevents
> them from becoming members of the UN, but they participate in
> its organizations and agencies. Name either.

Niue

2

> 5. There are 188 signatories of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation
> Treaty, and 4 UN member nations that have never signed it.
> Name *any one* of the four. (Hint: It's a pretty sure thing
> that three of them have nuclear weapons.)

Pakistan

> 6. Which OPEC member lies entirely in the Southern Hemisphere?

Angola ??

> 7. Besides the US and the UK, what other G7 country is also a
> permanent member of the UN Security Council?

France

> 8. Angola, Mozambique, Equatorial Guinea, and three other African
> countries are members of a cultural and educational association
> called PALOP, also known as Lusophone Africa. What do they
> all have in common that qualifies them for this organization?

Portuguese as an official language

> 9. The Arctic Council is composed of 8 countries that have territory
> in the Arctic. Three of them are kingdoms. Name one of those
> kingdoms.

Norway

> 10. At 724 km², which city-state is the smallest signatory of the
> Trans Pacific Partnership?

Singapore

> * Game 9, Round 8 - History of History - Historians
>
> 1. Name the so called "father of history", a Greek born in Turkey
> who lived 484-425 BC.

Herodotus

> 2. Which English historian and parliamentarian wrote "The History
> of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire"?

Gibbon

> 3. Name the writer of "Origines" ("Origins"), the first recorded
> prose history written in Latin. He was a conservative Roman
> senator and orator who lived 234-149 BC.
>
> 4. Name the Scottish philosopher (1711-1776) who wrote the 6-volume
> "History of England, from the invasion of Julius Caesar to the
> revolution of 1688".

Hume ??

> 5. Name the American writer, philosopher, and historian (1885-1981)
> best known for "The Story of Civilization", an 11-volume work
> written in collaboration with his wife.
>
> 6. Name the French Enlightenment writer, historian, and philosopher
> (1694-1778) who helped develop the idea of historiography in
> works such as "The Age of Louis XIV" and "The Customs and Spirit
> of the Nations".
>
> 7. Name the politician, statesman, and artist who wrote "A History
> of the English-Speaking Peoples", a 4-volume work covering from
> Caesar's invasion to World War I.

Churchill

> 8. A Canadian professor of political economy at the University of
> Toronto he wrote largely on Canadian Economic History. Also the
> developer of the "staples theory", regarding Canada's reliance
> on exporting natural resources.
>
> 9. Name the French diplomat, political scientist, and historian
> (1805-59) whose best-known works are "Democracy in America"
> and "The Old Regime and the Revolution".

de Tocqueville

--
Dan Tilque

Peter Smyth

Mar 13, 2017, 11:14:33 AM3/13/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Geography - Member Nations and Cooperations
>
> Here are 10 questions about international organizations and their
> member states.
>
> 1. There are only 3 European countries that are members of the
> Commonwealth of Nations. Two of them are the UK and Malta.
> What's the third?
Cyprus
> 2. Many entities are given observer status in the UN (such as
> the OECD or the European Union), but there are only two
> observer states. One has had that status since 1964, the
> other (under various guises and names) since 1974. Name either
> (current name only please).
Vatican City
2
> 5. There are 188 signatories of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation
> Treaty, and 4 UN member nations that have never signed it.
> Name *any one* of the four. (Hint: It's a pretty sure thing
> that three of them have nuclear weapons.)
India
> 6. Which OPEC member lies entirely in the Southern Hemisphere?
Venezuela
> 7. Besides the US and the UK, what other G7 country is also a
> permanent member of the UN Security Council?
France
> 8. Angola, Mozambique, Equatorial Guinea, and three other African
> countries are members of a cultural and educational association
> called PALOP, also known as Lusophone Africa. What do they
> all have in common that qualifies them for this organization?
speaking Portuguese
> 9. The Arctic Council is composed of 8 countries that have territory
> in the Arctic. Three of them are kingdoms. Name one of those
> kingdoms.
Norway
> 10. At 724 km², which city-state is the smallest signatory of the
> Trans Pacific Partnership?
Singapore

> * Game 9, Round 8 - History of History - Historians
>
> 1. Name the so called "father of history", a Greek born in Turkey
> who lived 484-425 BC.
>
> 2. Which English historian and parliamentarian wrote "The History
> of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire"?
Gibbon
> 3. Name the writer of "Origines" ("Origins"), the first recorded
> prose history written in Latin. He was a conservative Roman
> senator and orator who lived 234-149 BC.
>
> 4. Name the Scottish philosopher (1711-1776) who wrote the 6-volume
> "History of England, from the invasion of Julius Caesar to the
> revolution of 1688".
>
> 5. Name the American writer, philosopher, and historian (1885-1981)
> best known for "The Story of Civilization", an 11-volume work
> written in collaboration with his wife.
>
> 6. Name the French Enlightenment writer, historian, and philosopher
> (1694-1778) who helped develop the idea of historiography in
> works such as "The Age of Louis XIV" and "The Customs and Spirit
> of the Nations".
>
> 7. Name the politician, statesman, and artist who wrote "A History
> of the English-Speaking Peoples", a 4-volume work covering from
> Caesar's invasion to World War I.
Winston Churchill
> 8. A Canadian professor of political economy at the University of
> Toronto he wrote largely on Canadian Economic History. Also the
> developer of the "staples theory", regarding Canada's reliance
> on exporting natural resources.
>
> 9. Name the French diplomat, political scientist, and historian
> (1805-59) whose best-known works are "Democracy in America"
> and "The Old Regime and the Revolution".
>
> 10. Name the English historian and broadcaster (1906-90) who penned
> "The Origins of the Second World War" and "The Struggle for
> Mastery in Europe".

Peter Smyth

Marc Dashevsky

Mar 13, 2017, 12:01:52 PM3/13/17
In article <i6qdncQ-oOBBwFvF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 9, Round 7 - Geography - Member Nations and Cooperations
>
> Here are 10 questions about international organizations and their
> member states.
>
> 1. There are only 3 European countries that are members of the
> Commonwealth of Nations. Two of them are the UK and Malta.
> What's the third?
>
> 2. Many entities are given observer status in the UN (such as
> the OECD or the European Union), but there are only two
> observer *states*. One has had that status since 1964, the
> other (under various guises and names) since 1974. Name either
> (current name only please).
Palestine

2

> 5. There are 188 signatories of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation
> Treaty, and 4 UN member nations that have never signed it.
> Name *any one* of the four. (Hint: It's a pretty sure thing
> that three of them have nuclear weapons.)
Israel

> 6. Which OPEC member lies entirely in the Southern Hemisphere?
>
> 7. Besides the US and the UK, what other G7 country is also a
> permanent member of the UN Security Council?
France

> 8. Angola, Mozambique, Equatorial Guinea, and three other African
> countries are members of a cultural and educational association
> called PALOP, also known as Lusophone Africa. What do they
> all have in common that qualifies them for this organization?
previously Portuguese colonies

> 9. The Arctic Council is composed of 8 countries that have territory
> in the Arctic. Three of them are kingdoms. Name one of those
> kingdoms.
Norway

> 10. At 724 km², which city-state is the smallest signatory of the
> Trans Pacific Partnership?
>

> * Game 9, Round 8 - History of History - Historians
>
> 1. Name the so called "father of history", a Greek born in Turkey
> who lived 484-425 BC.
Herodotus

> 2. Which English historian and parliamentarian wrote "The History
> of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire"?
Edward Gibbon

> 3. Name the writer of "Origines" ("Origins"), the first recorded
> prose history written in Latin. He was a conservative Roman
> senator and orator who lived 234-149 BC.
Cato

> 4. Name the Scottish philosopher (1711-1776) who wrote the 6-volume
> "History of England, from the invasion of Julius Caesar to the
> revolution of 1688".
>
> 5. Name the American writer, philosopher, and historian (1885-1981)
> best known for "The Story of Civilization", an 11-volume work
> written in collaboration with his wife.
>
> 6. Name the French Enlightenment writer, historian, and philosopher
> (1694-1778) who helped develop the idea of historiography in
> works such as "The Age of Louis XIV" and "The Customs and Spirit
> of the Nations".
Voltaire

> 7. Name the politician, statesman, and artist who wrote "A History
> of the English-Speaking Peoples", a 4-volume work covering from
> Caesar's invasion to World War I.
Winston Churchill

> 8. A Canadian professor of political economy at the University of
> Toronto he wrote largely on Canadian Economic History. Also the
> developer of the "staples theory", regarding Canada's reliance
> on exporting natural resources.
>
> 9. Name the French diplomat, political scientist, and historian
> (1805-59) whose best-known works are "Democracy in America"
> and "The Old Regime and the Revolution".
de Toqueville

> 10. Name the English historian and broadcaster (1906-90) who penned
> "The Origins of the Second World War" and "The Struggle for
> Mastery in Europe".

Don Piven

Mar 13, 2017, 3:55:29 PM3/13/17
Republic of China (Taiwan)

> 3. There are two island countries considered self-governing
> states in "free association" with New Zealand. This prevents
> them from becoming members of the UN, but they participate in
> its organizations and agencies. Name either.

Pitcairn Island.

> 4. In how many of the G7 countries do people normally drive on
> the left side of the road?

1.

> 5. There are 188 signatories of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation
> Treaty, and 4 UN member nations that have never signed it.
> Name *any one* of the four. (Hint: It's a pretty sure thing
> that three of them have nuclear weapons.)

Pakistan.

> 6. Which OPEC member lies entirely in the Southern Hemisphere?
>
> 7. Besides the US and the UK, what other G7 country is also a
> permanent member of the UN Security Council?

France.

> 8. Angola, Mozambique, Equatorial Guinea, and three other African
> countries are members of a cultural and educational association
> called PALOP, also known as Lusophone Africa. What do they
> all have in common that qualifies them for this organization?

They have a significant population of speakers of Portuguese.

> 9. The Arctic Council is composed of 8 countries that have territory
> in the Arctic. Three of them are kingdoms. Name one of those
> kingdoms.

Denmark.

> 10. At 724 km², which city-state is the smallest signatory of the
> Trans Pacific Partnership?

Singapore.

> * Game 9, Round 8 - History of History - Historians
>
> 1. Name the so called "father of history", a Greek born in Turkey
> who lived 484-425 BC.

Herodotus.

> 2. Which English historian and parliamentarian wrote "The History
> of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire"?

Gibbon.

> 3. Name the writer of "Origines" ("Origins"), the first recorded
> prose history written in Latin. He was a conservative Roman
> senator and orator who lived 234-149 BC.
>
> 4. Name the Scottish philosopher (1711-1776) who wrote the 6-volume
> "History of England, from the invasion of Julius Caesar to the
> revolution of 1688".
>
> 5. Name the American writer, philosopher, and historian (1885-1981)
> best known for "The Story of Civilization", an 11-volume work
> written in collaboration with his wife.

Will Durant.

> 6. Name the French Enlightenment writer, historian, and philosopher
> (1694-1778) who helped develop the idea of historiography in
> works such as "The Age of Louis XIV" and "The Customs and Spirit
> of the Nations".
>
> 7. Name the politician, statesman, and artist who wrote "A History
> of the English-Speaking Peoples", a 4-volume work covering from
> Caesar's invasion to World War I.

Winston Churchill.

> 8. A Canadian professor of political economy at the University of
> Toronto he wrote largely on Canadian Economic History. Also the
> developer of the "staples theory", regarding Canada's reliance
> on exporting natural resources.
>
> 9. Name the French diplomat, political scientist, and historian
> (1805-59) whose best-known works are "Democracy in America"
> and "The Old Regime and the Revolution".

Alexis de Tocqueville.

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 13, 2017, 6:30:14 PM3/13/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9, Round 7 - Geography - Member Nations and Cooperations
>
> Here are 10 questions about international organizations and their
> member states.
>
> 1. There are only 3 European countries that are members of the
> Commonwealth of Nations. Two of them are the UK and Malta.
> What's the third?

I suspect that the desired answer is Cyprus, but that country is in Asia.

> 3. There are two island countries considered self-governing
> states in "free association" with New Zealand. This prevents
> them from becoming members of the UN, but they participate in
> its organizations and agencies. Name either.

Niué

> 4. In how many of the G7 countries do people normally drive on
> the left side of the road?

Two: UK and Japan

> 5. There are 188 signatories of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation
> Treaty, and 4 UN member nations that have never signed it.
> Name *any one* of the four. (Hint: It's a pretty sure thing
> that three of them have nuclear weapons.)

North Korea

> 6. Which OPEC member lies entirely in the Southern Hemisphere?

Angola

> 7. Besides the US and the UK, what other G7 country is also a
> permanent member of the UN Security Council?

France

> 8. Angola, Mozambique, Equatorial Guinea, and three other African
> countries are members of a cultural and educational association
> called PALOP, also known as Lusophone Africa. What do they
> all have in common that qualifies them for this organization?

The Portoguese language. (The other three would be Cap Verde, Guinea-
Bissae and São Tomé e Principe.)

> 9. The Arctic Council is composed of 8 countries that have territory
> in the Arctic. Three of them are kingdoms. Name one of those
> kingdoms.

Sweden

(Eight? Someone must have joined recently.)

> 10. At 724 km², which city-state is the smallest signatory of the
> Trans Pacific Partnership?

Palau

> * Game 9, Round 8 - History of History - Historians
>
> 3. Name the writer of "Origines" ("Origins"), the first recorded
> prose history written in Latin. He was a conservative Roman
> senator and orator who lived 234-149 BC.

Cicero

> 6. Name the French Enlightenment writer, historian, and philosopher
> (1694-1778) who helped develop the idea of historiography in
> works such as "The Age of Louis XIV" and "The Customs and Spirit
> of the Nations".

Rosseau

Calvin

Mar 13, 2017, 6:42:56 PM3/13/17
On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 6:52:49 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Geography - Member Nations and Cooperations
>
> Here are 10 questions about international organizations and their
> member states.
>
> 1. There are only 3 European countries that are members of the
> Commonwealth of Nations. Two of them are the UK and Malta.
> What's the third?

Cyprus

> 2. Many entities are given observer status in the UN (such as
> the OECD or the European Union), but there are only two
> observer *states*. One has had that status since 1964, the
> other (under various guises and names) since 1974. Name either
> (current name only please).

Taiwan, Palestine

2

> 5. There are 188 signatories of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation
> Treaty, and 4 UN member nations that have never signed it.
> Name *any one* of the four. (Hint: It's a pretty sure thing
> that three of them have nuclear weapons.)

North Korea, India

> 6. Which OPEC member lies entirely in the Southern Hemisphere?

Indonesia?

> 7. Besides the US and the UK, what other G7 country is also a
> permanent member of the UN Security Council?

France

> 8. Angola, Mozambique, Equatorial Guinea, and three other African
> countries are members of a cultural and educational association
> called PALOP, also known as Lusophone Africa. What do they
> all have in common that qualifies them for this organization?

Former Portuguese colonies

> 9. The Arctic Council is composed of 8 countries that have territory
> in the Arctic. Three of them are kingdoms. Name one of those
> kingdoms.

Norway

> 10. At 724 km², which city-state is the smallest signatory of the
> Trans Pacific Partnership?

Singapore

> * Game 9, Round 8 - History of History - Historians
>
> 1. Name the so called "father of history", a Greek born in Turkey
> who lived 484-425 BC.

Herodotus

> 2. Which English historian and parliamentarian wrote "The History
> of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire"?

Gibbon

> 3. Name the writer of "Origines" ("Origins"), the first recorded
> prose history written in Latin. He was a conservative Roman
> senator and orator who lived 234-149 BC.

Cicero?

> 4. Name the Scottish philosopher (1711-1776) who wrote the 6-volume
> "History of England, from the invasion of Julius Caesar to the
> revolution of 1688".
>
> 5. Name the American writer, philosopher, and historian (1885-1981)
> best known for "The Story of Civilization", an 11-volume work
> written in collaboration with his wife.
>
> 6. Name the French Enlightenment writer, historian, and philosopher
> (1694-1778) who helped develop the idea of historiography in
> works such as "The Age of Louis XIV" and "The Customs and Spirit
> of the Nations".
>
> 7. Name the politician, statesman, and artist who wrote "A History
> of the English-Speaking Peoples", a 4-volume work covering from
> Caesar's invasion to World War I.

Churchill

> 8. A Canadian professor of political economy at the University of
> Toronto he wrote largely on Canadian Economic History. Also the
> developer of the "staples theory", regarding Canada's reliance
> on exporting natural resources.
>
> 9. Name the French diplomat, political scientist, and historian
> (1805-59) whose best-known works are "Democracy in America"
> and "The Old Regime and the Revolution".

de Toqueville

> 10. Name the English historian and broadcaster (1906-90) who penned
> "The Origins of the Second World War" and "The Struggle for
> Mastery in Europe".

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Mar 13, 2017, 6:47:53 PM3/13/17
Erland Sommarskog:
> (Eight? Someone must have joined recently.)

I wouldn't've known if they had, but

http://www.arctic-council.org/index.php/en/about-us/arctic-council

says the Council is a successor to the Arctic Environmental Protection
Strategy group, which was formed in 1989 at the instigation of Finland
and had same 8 countries except that one of them then was the USSR
rather than Russia.
--
Mark Brader "Those who do not know USENET
Toronto are doomed to repeat each other."

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 14, 2017, 4:11:21 AM3/14/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Erland Sommarskog:
>> (Eight? Someone must have joined recently.)
>
> I wouldn't've known if they had, but
>
> http://www.arctic-council.org/index.php/en/about-us/arctic-council
>
> says the Council is a successor to the Arctic Environmental Protection
> Strategy group, which was formed in 1989 at the instigation of Finland
> and had same 8 countries except that one of them then was the USSR
> rather than Russia.

For some reason I did remember the number as seven, and when I tried to
think countries that could qualify, I could only think of seven. But looking
at the link I realise that very embarassingly I had overlooked one
country.

Pete Gayde

Mar 14, 2017, 12:07:22 PM3/14/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:i6qdncQ-oOBBwFvFnZ2dnUU7-
cnN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-21,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Geography - Member Nations and Cooperations
>
> Here are 10 questions about international organizations and their
> member states.
>
> 1. There are only 3 European countries that are members of the
> Commonwealth of Nations. Two of them are the UK and Malta.
> What's the third?

Republic of Ireland

> 2. Many entities are given observer status in the UN (such as
> the OECD or the European Union), but there are only two
> observer *states*. One has had that status since 1964, the
> other (under various guises and names) since 1974. Name either
> (current name only please).

Vatican City

> 3. There are two island countries considered self-governing
> states in "free association" with New Zealand. This prevents
> them from becoming members of the UN, but they participate in
> its organizations and agencies. Name either.

Cook Island

> 4. In how many of the G7 countries do people normally drive on
> the left side of the road?

2; 3

> 5. There are 188 signatories of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation
> Treaty, and 4 UN member nations that have never signed it.
> Name *any one* of the four. (Hint: It's a pretty sure thing
> that three of them have nuclear weapons.)

North Korea

> 6. Which OPEC member lies entirely in the Southern Hemisphere?
>
> 7. Besides the US and the UK, what other G7 country is also a
> permanent member of the UN Security Council?

France

> 8. Angola, Mozambique, Equatorial Guinea, and three other African
> countries are members of a cultural and educational association
> called PALOP, also known as Lusophone Africa. What do they
> all have in common that qualifies them for this organization?
>
> 9. The Arctic Council is composed of 8 countries that have territory
> in the Arctic. Three of them are kingdoms. Name one of those
> kingdoms.

Norway

> 10. At 724 km², which city-state is the smallest signatory of the
> Trans Pacific Partnership?

Singapore

> * Game 9, Round 8 - History of History - Historians
>
> 1. Name the so called "father of history", a Greek born in Turkey
> who lived 484-425 BC.
>
> 2. Which English historian and parliamentarian wrote "The History
> of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire"?
>
> 3. Name the writer of "Origines" ("Origins"), the first recorded
> prose history written in Latin. He was a conservative Roman
> senator and orator who lived 234-149 BC.

Cato

> 4. Name the Scottish philosopher (1711-1776) who wrote the 6-volume
> "History of England, from the invasion of Julius Caesar to the
> revolution of 1688".
>
> 5. Name the American writer, philosopher, and historian (1885-1981)
> best known for "The Story of Civilization", an 11-volume work
> written in collaboration with his wife.
>
> 6. Name the French Enlightenment writer, historian, and philosopher
> (1694-1778) who helped develop the idea of historiography in
> works such as "The Age of Louis XIV" and "The Customs and Spirit
> of the Nations".
>
> 7. Name the politician, statesman, and artist who wrote "A History
> of the English-Speaking Peoples", a 4-volume work covering from
> Caesar's invasion to World War I.
>
> 8. A Canadian professor of political economy at the University of
> Toronto he wrote largely on Canadian Economic History. Also the
> developer of the "staples theory", regarding Canada's reliance
> on exporting natural resources.
>
> 9. Name the French diplomat, political scientist, and historian
> (1805-59) whose best-known works are "Democracy in America"
> and "The Old Regime and the Revolution".
>
> 10. Name the English historian and broadcaster (1906-90) who penned
> "The Origins of the Second World War" and "The Struggle for
> Mastery in Europe".

Pete Gayde

---
http://www.avg.com

Jason Kreitzer

Mar 14, 2017, 3:48:33 PM3/14/17
The U.S.?
> 6. Which OPEC member lies entirely in the Southern Hemisphere?
>
> 7. Besides the US and the UK, what other G7 country is also a
> permanent member of the UN Security Council?
Russia
> 8. Angola, Mozambique, Equatorial Guinea, and three other African
> countries are members of a cultural and educational association
> called PALOP, also known as Lusophone Africa. What do they
> all have in common that qualifies them for this organization?
>
> 9. The Arctic Council is composed of 8 countries that have territory
> in the Arctic. Three of them are kingdoms. Name one of those
> kingdoms.
Denmark
Alexis de Tocqueville

Mark Brader

Mar 16, 2017, 6:42:23 AM3/16/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-21,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Geography - Member Nations and Cooperations

> Here are 10 questions about international organizations and their
> member states.

> 1. There are only 3 European countries that are members of the
> Commonwealth of Nations. Two of them are the UK and Malta.
> What's the third?

Cyprus. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Peter, Erland,
and Calvin.

Yes, I know, Cyprus is located just off the coast of Asia, not Europe.
But it belongs to a number of European organizations and is frequently
counted as European.

> 2. Many entities are given observer status in the UN (such as
> the OECD or the European Union), but there are only two
> observer *states*. One has had that status since 1964, the
> other (under various guises and names) since 1974. Name either
> (current name only please).

Vatican City (or Holy See), Palestine (State; not PLO). 4 for Joshua,
Dan Tilque, Peter, Marc, and Pete. 2 for Calvin.

> 3. There are two island countries considered self-governing
> states in "free association" with New Zealand. This prevents
> them from becoming members of the UN, but they participate in
> its organizations and agencies. Name either.

Cook Islands, Niue. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Peter, Erland,
Calvin, and Pete.

> 4. In how many of the G7 countries do people normally drive on
> the left side of the road?

2. (Japan, UK.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Peter, Marc, Erland, and Calvin.
3 for Pete. 2 for Joshua.

> 5. There are 188 signatories of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation
> Treaty, and 4 UN member nations that have never signed it.
> Name *any one* of the four. (Hint: It's a pretty sure thing
> that three of them have nuclear weapons.)

India, Israel, Pakistan, South Sudan. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, Peter, Marc, and Don. 2 for Calvin.

> 6. Which OPEC member lies entirely in the Southern Hemisphere?

Angola. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Erland. 2 for Joshua.

> 7. Besides the US and the UK, what other G7 country is also a
> permanent member of the UN Security Council?

France. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Peter, Marc, Don,
Erland, Calvin, and Pete.

Russia was kicked out of the G8 a while ago, which is why it went
back to being the G7.

> 8. Angola, Mozambique, Equatorial Guinea, and three other African
> countries are members of a cultural and educational association
> called PALOP, also known as Lusophone Africa. What do they
> all have in common that qualifies them for this organization?

PALOP means "African Countries of Portuguese Official Language".
I scored non-linguistic references to Portugal as almost correct.
4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Peter, Don, Erland, and Calvin.
3 for Marc.

As Erland said, the others are Cabo (or Cape) Verde, São Tomé &
Príncipe, and Guinea-Bissau.

You will all no doubt remember that when I started posting Questions
from the Canadian Inquisition, I began on 2008-02-04 with questions
from a special non-team game written by the Usual Suspects and
played on 2006-01-09. And the very first question (which I wrote,
as it happens) was simply: "What is a lusophone?". (Peter Smyth
and Stephen Perry got it that time.)

> 9. The Arctic Council is composed of 8 countries that have territory
> in the Arctic. Three of them are kingdoms. Name one of those
> kingdoms.

Denmark, Norway, Sweden. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, Peter, Marc, Don, Erland, Calvin, Pete, and Jason.

> 10. At 724 km², which city-state is the smallest signatory of the
> Trans Pacific Partnership?

Singapore. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Peter, Don, Calvin,
and Pete.

> * Game 9, Round 8 - History of History - Historians

> 1. Name the so called "father of history", a Greek born in Turkey
> who lived 484-425 BC.

Herodotus. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, Don, and Calvin.

> 2. Which English historian and parliamentarian wrote "The History
> of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire"?

Edward Gibbon. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Peter, Marc,
Don, and Calvin.

> 3. Name the writer of "Origines" ("Origins"), the first recorded
> prose history written in Latin. He was a conservative Roman
> senator and orator who lived 234-149 BC.

Cato (the Elder). 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, and Pete.

Two entrants guessed Cicero. He was also a conservative Roman
senator and orator, but he lived 106-43 BC: he was a contempoary
of Julius Caesar.

> 4. Name the Scottish philosopher (1711-1776) who wrote the 6-volume
> "History of England, from the invasion of Julius Caesar to the
> revolution of 1688".

David Hume. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 5. Name the American writer, philosopher, and historian (1885-1981)
> best known for "The Story of Civilization", an 11-volume work
> written in collaboration with his wife.

Will Durant. (His wife was Ariel.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Don.

> 6. Name the French Enlightenment writer, historian, and philosopher
> (1694-1778) who helped develop the idea of historiography in
> works such as "The Age of Louis XIV" and "The Customs and Spirit
> of the Nations".

Voltaire (François-Marie Arouet). 4 for Dan Blum and Marc.

> 7. Name the politician, statesman, and artist who wrote "A History
> of the English-Speaking Peoples", a 4-volume work covering from
> Caesar's invasion to World War I.

Sir Winston Churchill. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Peter,
Marc, Don, and Calvin.

> 8. A Canadian professor of political economy at the University of
> Toronto he wrote largely on Canadian Economic History. Also the
> developer of the "staples theory", regarding Canada's reliance
> on exporting natural resources.

Harold Innes.

> 9. Name the French diplomat, political scientist, and historian
> (1805-59) whose best-known works are "Democracy in America"
> and "The Old Regime and the Revolution".

Alexis de Tocqueville. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc,
Don, Calvin, and Jason.

> 10. Name the English historian and broadcaster (1906-90) who penned
> "The Origins of the Second World War" and "The Struggle for
> Mastery in Europe".

A.J.P. Taylor.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Lit Ent Spo Sci Geo His FOUR
Dan Tilque 40 0 24 31 40 20 135
Don Piven 40 0 32 40 20 20 132
Dan Blum 32 28 8 40 28 28 128
Marc Dashevsky 36 16 12 32 23 24 115
Joshua Kreitzer 20 36 4 19 36 20 112
Peter Smyth 8 8 20 23 36 8 87
"Calvin" 14 12 16 12 32 16 78
Stephen Perry 40 35 -- -- -- -- 75
Pete Gayde 20 8 12 20 23 4 75
Erland Sommarskog 22 0 16 7 28 0 73
Bruce Bowler 4 12 12 38 -- -- 66
Jason Kreitzer -- -- 0 15 4 4 23

--
Mark Brader, Toronto Premature generalization is
m...@vex.net the square root of all evil.