Pub Quiz 3

Keith Willoughby

Jun 12, 2004, 11:14:16 AM6/12/04

OK, I have about 45 pub quizzes that I've composed just sitting on my
hard-drive. I keep meaning to post them, but I could never be arsed to
disambiguate them for the international audience, nor make sure they're
rigorous enough for the rec.games.trivia level of correctness.

However, given that traffic in rgt is pretty slow these days, I may as
well post them, and take the slings and arrows as they come. I will try
to snip out the current affairs questions, though.

First one, from 20021707

Science and Nature
1. What is the most common element in the universe?
2. In which US state were the first nuclear bombs developed and tested?
3. Which scientist was master of the Royal Mint between 1699 and 1727?
4. Which kind of animal has a breed called 'Tamworth'?
5. Aboard which ship did Charles Darwin travel from 1831 to 1836?

TV
6. Who hosted Anglia TV's Sale of the Century?
7. The characters Hugo Horton and Alice Tinker featured in which 90s sitcom?
8. What was the name of the pink hippopotamus on the childrens' TV show
'Rainbow'?
9. What was the name of the ship's computer in Red Dwarf? (Two
answers possible)
10. Michael Douglas and Karl Malden starred in which TV crime show?
11. In which year was the Festival of Britain held?
12. Which former Nazi lived in Argentina under the name of Ricardo Clement,
and was hanged in 1962?
13. Who became King of Scotland in 1040?
14. Which folk-hero was hanged in Melbourne on 11th November 1880
15. What title did Edward I confer on his eldest son in 1301?

Literature
16. Who is supposed to have said, on arrival at US Customs, "I have nothing
to declare but my genius"?
17. According to Tennyson, what are more than coronets?
18. How does Cleopatra kill herself in Antony and Cleopatra?
19. By which name is Eric Arthur Blair better known?
20. What was the name of the Secret Seven's dog?

Sport
21. What word is used in golf for hitting two under par for a hole?
22. Which British swimmer won a breastroke gold medal at the 1980 Olympics?
23. In which sport was Michael Doohan world champion?
24. What is the word used to descibe a female horse of less than four years
of age?
25. How high in inches is a table-tennis net?

Movies
26. What was the name of the sequel to Jurrassic Park?
27. What was The Titfield Thunderbolt in the 1952 film of that name?
28. Who was married to both Frank Sinatra and Woody Allen?
29. Whose supposed last words were "I should never have switched from Scotch
to Martinis"?
30. In which film did Goldie Hawn join the army?

Geography
31. On which river did the ancient city of Babylon stand?
32. In which British city would you find The Royal Mile?
(I believe there might be more than one answer to this. I remember
some controversy about it)
33. To which country do the Azores belong?
34. In which British city is there an area called The Gorbals
35. Which of the United States is known as The Lone Star State?

Music
36. St. Winifred's School Choir reached number one in 1980 with which song?
37. With which movie theme did the Central Band of the Royal Airforce reach
number 18 in 1955?
38. What nationality are the folk singers Foster and Allen?
39. Lieutenant Pigeon reached number one in September 1972 with which song?
40. Who was the lead singer with Madness?

General Knowledge

41. The people of which religion follow the teachings of Siddharta Gautama?
42. What flavour is creme de menthe?
43. Who succeeded Richard Nixon as US president in 1974?
44. Who was the captain of the England women's cricket team between 1966 and
1977?
45. In which year did Neil Kinnock become leader of the Labour Party?
46. Which world heavyweight champion was known as The Brown Bomber?
47. Which instrument was Niccolo Paganini most famous for playing?
48. According to the bible, who was the first person to be murdered?
49. The letters EPNS on cutlery stands for what?
50. What was the real name of the Yorkshire Ripper?
51. Which chart topping singer's birth name was Arnold George Dorsey?
52. Which UK daily newspaper was first published on 7th October 1986?
53. Which comedian's catchphrases included "Nay, Nay, and thrice nay"?
54. In which TV show did Ant and Dec start their careers?
55. How was John Merrick, who died in 1890, better known?
56. What was the nationality of mountaineer Edmund Hillary?
57. From which club did Manchester United buy Eric Cantona?
58. In which country was Che Guevara killed?
59. In computing, what are Pascal, Ada, Perl, and Python examples of?
(The people who attend my quizzes aren't a techy bunch)
60. Jean Chretien is^Wwas the Prime Minister of which country?

You can't eat information

Gareth Owen

Jun 12, 2004, 11:20:51 AM6/12/04
Keith Willoughby <ke...@flat222.org> writes:

> 1. What is the most common element in the universe?

Hydrogen

> 2. In which US state were the first nuclear bombs developed and tested?

LANL, Nevada

> 3. Which scientist was master of the Royal Mint between 1699 and 1727?

Newton

> 4. Which kind of animal has a breed called 'Tamworth'?

Pig

> 5. Aboard which ship did Charles Darwin travel from 1831 to 1836?

Beagle

> 6. Who hosted Anglia TV's Sale of the Century?

Nicholas Parsons

> 7. The characters Hugo Horton and Alice Tinker featured in which 90s
> sitcom?

Vicar of Dibley

> 8. What was the name of the pink hippopotamus on the childrens' TV show
> 'Rainbow'?

George

> 9. What was the name of the ship's computer in Red Dwarf? (Two
> answers possible)

Holly or ... the other one

> 10. Michael Douglas and Karl Malden starred in which TV crime show?

Streets of SF

> 11. In which year was the Festival of Britain held?

1955

> 12. Which former Nazi lived in Argentina under the name of Ricardo Clement,
> and was hanged in 1962?

Damn, I should know this.

> 13. Who became King of Scotland in 1040?

Macbeth

> 14. Which folk-hero was hanged in Melbourne on 11th November 1880

Ned Kelly

> 15. What title did Edward I confer on his eldest son in 1301?

Prince of Wales

> 16. Who is supposed to have said, on arrival at US Customs, "I have nothing
> to declare but my genius"?

Wilde

> 17. According to Tennyson, what are more than coronets?

Kind Hearts?

> 18. How does Cleopatra kill herself in Antony and Cleopatra?

Snakebite

> 19. By which name is Eric Arthur Blair better known?

George Orwell

> 20. What was the name of the Secret Seven's dog?

Not Timmy

> 21. What word is used in golf for hitting two under par for a hole?

Eagle

> 22. Which British swimmer won a breastroke gold medal at the 1980
> Olympics?

Goodhew?

> 23. In which sport was Michael Doohan world champion?

Motor cycling

> 24. What is the word used to descibe a female horse of less than four years
> of age?

Filly

> 26. What was the name of the sequel to Jurrassic Park?

The Lost World (JP2)

> 27. What was The Titfield Thunderbolt in the 1952 film of that name?

Train

> 28. Who was married to both Frank Sinatra and Woody Allen?

Mia Farrow

> 29. Whose supposed last words were "I should never have switched from
> Scotch to Martinis"?

Ollie Reed?

> 30. In which film did Goldie Hawn join the army?

Private Benjamin

> 32. In which British city would you find The Royal Mile?

Edinburgh

> 33. To which country do the Azores belong?

Portugal

> 34. In which British city is there an area called The Gorbals

Glasgow

> 35. Which of the United States is known as The Lone Star State?

Texas

> Music
> 36. St. Winifred's School Choir reached number one in 1980 with which song?

Grandma. (Possibly with paranthetical "Theres no one just like")

> 37. With which movie theme did the Central Band of the Royal Airforce reach
> number 18 in 1955?

Dam Busters?

> 39. Lieutenant Pigeon reached number one in September 1972 with which song?

This was definitely number one in late October '72, rather than September,
because it was on top of the charts the when I was born. "Mouldy Old Dough"

> 40. Who was the lead singer with Madness?

Suggs (Graham McPherson?)

> 41. The people of which religion follow the teachings of Siddharta Gautama?

Buddhists

> 42. What flavour is creme de menthe?

Mint

> 43. Who succeeded Richard Nixon as US president in 1974?

His VP, Gerald Ford

> 45. In which year did Neil Kinnock become leader of the Labour Party?

1983?

> 46. Which world heavyweight champion was known as The Brown Bomber?

Joe Louis

> 47. Which instrument was Niccolo Paganini most famous for playing?

Violin

> 48. According to the bible, who was the first person to be murdered?

Abel

> 49. The letters EPNS on cutlery stands for what?

The World Wide Speeder in Lorts?

> 50. What was the real name of the Yorkshire Ripper?

Peter Sutcliffe

> 51. Which chart topping singer's birth name was Arnold George Dorsey?

Englebert Humperdinck was a Dorsey.

> 52. Which UK daily newspaper was first published on 7th October 1986?

Today, again?

> 53. Which comedian's catchphrases included "Nay, Nay, and thrice nay"?

Kenneth Williams

> 54. In which TV show did Ant and Dec start their careers?

Byker, Byker, Byker ... GROVE!

> 55. How was John Merrick, who died in 1890, better known?

The Elephant Man

> 56. What was the nationality of mountaineer Edmund Hillary?

New Zealander. Obligatory English rugby comment omitted.

> 57. From which club did Manchester United buy Eric Cantona?

Leeds

> 58. In which country was Che Guevara killed?

Bolivia

> 59. In computing, what are Pascal, Ada, Perl, and Python examples of?
> (The people who attend my quizzes aren't a techy bunch)

High level programming languages

> 60. Jean Chretien is^Wwas the Prime Minister of which country?

Canada
--
Gareth Owen
The Johnny Walker wisdom's running high

Gareth Owen

Jun 12, 2004, 11:21:45 AM6/12/04
Gareth Owen <use...@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> > 53. Which comedian's catchphrases included "Nay, Nay, and thrice nay"?
>
> Kenneth Williams

Doh! Frankie Howerd.

Keith Willoughby

Jun 12, 2004, 11:40:32 AM6/12/04
Gareth Owen wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <ke...@flat222.org> writes:
>
>> 9. What was the name of the ship's computer in Red Dwarf? (Two
>> answers possible)
>
> Holly or ... the other one

Hilly. Appeared as the ship's computer in the alternative reality, so
"the" ship's computer isn't really a correct question.

>> 11. In which year was the Festival of Britain held?
>
> 1955

Nope.

>> 12. Which former Nazi lived in Argentina under the name of Ricardo Clement,
>> and was hanged in 1962?
>
> Damn, I should know this.

Correct!

>> 17. According to Tennyson, what are more than coronets?
>
> Kind Hearts?

Yup. One of my favourite 5 movies, too.

>> 20. What was the name of the Secret Seven's dog?
>
> Not Timmy

:)

>> 29. Whose supposed last words were "I should never have switched from
>> Scotch to Martinis"?
>
> Ollie Reed?

Nope.

>> 39. Lieutenant Pigeon reached number one in September 1972 with which song?
>
> This was definitely number one in late October '72, rather than September,
> because it was on top of the charts the when I was born. "Mouldy Old Dough"

Yup, and yup. Dunno my source for that, but The Ones website confirms it
as number 1 for 4 weeks from 14 Oct.

>> 49. The letters EPNS on cutlery stands for what?
>
> The World Wide Speeder in Lorts?

Don't get that one :(

>> 51. Which chart topping singer's birth name was Arnold George Dorsey?
>
> Englebert Humperdinck was a Dorsey.

He was. Confusingly, it appears that Gerry Dorsey was also a pseudonym,
and that he was born Arnold George.

>> 52. Which UK daily newspaper was first published on 7th October 1986?
>
> Today, again?

Nope. The other one.

>> 53. Which comedian's catchphrases included "Nay, Nay, and thrice nay"?
>
> Kenneth Williams

I see you rescued yourself from ignominy in another post. Yes, Frankie
Howerd.

>> 54. In which TV show did Ant and Dec start their careers?
>
> Byker, Byker, Byker ... GROVE!

It's in my head now. Oooh, Byker, Byker.

>> 56. What was the nationality of mountaineer Edmund Hillary?
>
> New Zealander.

Aye.

> Obligatory English rugby comment omitted.

Shame.

Others correct.

"on day release from hopelessness"

Steve Grant

Jun 12, 2004, 11:43:56 AM6/12/04
"Keith Willoughby" <ke...@flat222.org> wrote in message

> OK, I have about 45 pub quizzes that I've composed just sitting on my
> hard-drive. I keep meaning to post them, but I could never be arsed to
> disambiguate them for the international audience, nor make sure they're
> rigorous enough for the rec.games.trivia level of correctness.
>
> However, given that traffic in rgt is pretty slow these days, I may as
> well post them, and take the slings and arrows as they come. I will try
> to snip out the current affairs questions, though.
>
> First one, from 20021707
>
> Science and Nature
> 1. What is the most common element in the universe?

hydrogen

> 2. In which US state were the first nuclear bombs developed and tested?

New Mexico

> 3. Which scientist was master of the Royal Mint between 1699 and 1727?
> 4. Which kind of animal has a breed called 'Tamworth'?
> 5. Aboard which ship did Charles Darwin travel from 1831 to 1836?

the Beagle

> TV
> 6. Who hosted Anglia TV's Sale of the Century?
> 7. The characters Hugo Horton and Alice Tinker featured in which 90s
sitcom?
> 8. What was the name of the pink hippopotamus on the childrens' TV show
> 'Rainbow'?
> 9. What was the name of the ship's computer in Red Dwarf? (Two
> answers possible)
> 10. Michael Douglas and Karl Malden starred in which TV crime show?

The Streets of San Francisco

> 11. In which year was the Festival of Britain held?
> 12. Which former Nazi lived in Argentina under the name of Ricardo
Clement,
> and was hanged in 1962?

Adolf Eichmann

> 13. Who became King of Scotland in 1040?
> 14. Which folk-hero was hanged in Melbourne on 11th November 1880
> 15. What title did Edward I confer on his eldest son in 1301?
>
> Literature
> 16. Who is supposed to have said, on arrival at US Customs, "I have
nothing
> to declare but my genius"?
> 17. According to Tennyson, what are more than coronets?
> 18. How does Cleopatra kill herself in Antony and Cleopatra?
> 19. By which name is Eric Arthur Blair better known?
> 20. What was the name of the Secret Seven's dog?
>
> Sport
> 21. What word is used in golf for hitting two under par for a hole?

eagle

> 22. Which British swimmer won a breastroke gold medal at the 1980
Olympics?
> 23. In which sport was Michael Doohan world champion?
> 24. What is the word used to descibe a female horse of less than four
years
> of age?

filly

> 25. How high in inches is a table-tennis net?
>
> Movies
> 26. What was the name of the sequel to Jurrassic Park?
> 27. What was The Titfield Thunderbolt in the 1952 film of that name?
> 28. Who was married to both Frank Sinatra and Woody Allen?

Mia Farrow

> 29. Whose supposed last words were "I should never have switched from
Scotch
> to Martinis"?
> 30. In which film did Goldie Hawn join the army?

Private Benjamin

> Geography
> 31. On which river did the ancient city of Babylon stand?
> 32. In which British city would you find The Royal Mile?
> (I believe there might be more than one answer to this. I remember
> some controversy about it)
> 33. To which country do the Azores belong?
> 34. In which British city is there an area called The Gorbals
> 35. Which of the United States is known as The Lone Star State?

Texas

> Music
> 36. St. Winifred's School Choir reached number one in 1980 with which
song?
> 37. With which movie theme did the Central Band of the Royal Airforce
reach
> number 18 in 1955?
> 38. What nationality are the folk singers Foster and Allen?
> 39. Lieutenant Pigeon reached number one in September 1972 with which
song?
> 40. Who was the lead singer with Madness?
>
> General Knowledge
>
> 41. The people of which religion follow the teachings of Siddharta
Gautama?

Buddhism

> 42. What flavour is creme de menthe?

mint

> 43. Who succeeded Richard Nixon as US president in 1974?

Gerald Ford

> 44. Who was the captain of the England women's cricket team between 1966
and
> 1977?
> 45. In which year did Neil Kinnock become leader of the Labour Party?
> 46. Which world heavyweight champion was known as The Brown Bomber?

Joe Louis

> 47. Which instrument was Niccolo Paganini most famous for playing?
> 48. According to the bible, who was the first person to be murdered?

Abel

> 49. The letters EPNS on cutlery stands for what?
> 50. What was the real name of the Yorkshire Ripper?
> 51. Which chart topping singer's birth name was Arnold George Dorsey?
> 52. Which UK daily newspaper was first published on 7th October 1986?
> 53. Which comedian's catchphrases included "Nay, Nay, and thrice nay"?
> 54. In which TV show did Ant and Dec start their careers?
> 55. How was John Merrick, who died in 1890, better known?

the Elephant Man

> 56. What was the nationality of mountaineer Edmund Hillary?

Scottish

> 57. From which club did Manchester United buy Eric Cantona?
> 58. In which country was Che Guevara killed?

Mexico

> 59. In computing, what are Pascal, Ada, Perl, and Python examples of?
> (The people who attend my quizzes aren't a techy bunch)

languages

> 60. Jean Chretien is^Wwas the Prime Minister of which country?

Canada

Gareth Owen

Jun 12, 2004, 11:44:50 AM6/12/04
Keith Willoughby <ke...@flat222.org> writes:

> > Damn, I should know this.
>
> Correct!

Adolf Eichmann

> >> 49. The letters EPNS on cutlery stands for what?
> >
> > The World Wide Speeder in Lorts?
>
> Don't get that one :(

Weak ESPN spoonerism.

Keith Willoughby

Jun 12, 2004, 11:50:54 AM6/12/04
Steve Grant wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <ke...@flat222.org> wrote in message

[...]

>> 12. Which former Nazi lived in Argentina under the name of Ricardo
> Clement,
>> and was hanged in 1962?
>
> Adolf Eichmann

Aye!

[...]

>> 56. What was the nationality of mountaineer Edmund Hillary?
>
> Scottish

New Zealander . . .

>> 58. In which country was Che Guevara killed?
>
> Mexico

. . . and Bolivia, as Gareth had.

Others correct.

"The catcher hits for .318 and catches every day
The pitcher puts religion first and rests on holidays"

Marc Dashevsky

Jun 12, 2004, 11:53:56 AM6/12/04
In article <87brjov...@flat222.dyndns.org>, ke...@flat222.org says...

> OK, I have about 45 pub quizzes that I've composed just sitting on my
> hard-drive. I keep meaning to post them, but I could never be arsed to
> disambiguate them for the international audience, nor make sure they're
> rigorous enough for the rec.games.trivia level of correctness.
>
> However, given that traffic in rgt is pretty slow these days, I may as
> well post them, and take the slings and arrows as they come. I will try
> to snip out the current affairs questions, though.
>
> First one, from 20021707
>
> Science and Nature
> 1. What is the most common element in the universe?

hydrogen

> 2. In which US state were the first nuclear bombs developed and tested?

New Mexico

> 3. Which scientist was master of the Royal Mint between 1699 and 1727?

Isaac Newton?

> 4. Which kind of animal has a breed called 'Tamworth'?
> 5. Aboard which ship did Charles Darwin travel from 1831 to 1836?

H.M.S. Beagle

> TV
> 6. Who hosted Anglia TV's Sale of the Century?
> 7. The characters Hugo Horton and Alice Tinker featured in which 90s sitcom?
> 8. What was the name of the pink hippopotamus on the childrens' TV show
> 'Rainbow'?
> 9. What was the name of the ship's computer in Red Dwarf? (Two
> answers possible)
> 10. Michael Douglas and Karl Malden starred in which TV crime show?

The Streets of San Francisco

> 11. In which year was the Festival of Britain held?

> 12. Which former Nazi lived in Argentina under the name of Ricardo Clement,
> and was hanged in 1962?

Adolf Eichmann?

> 13. Who became King of Scotland in 1040?
> 14. Which folk-hero was hanged in Melbourne on 11th November 1880
> 15. What title did Edward I confer on his eldest son in 1301?
>
> Literature
> 16. Who is supposed to have said, on arrival at US Customs, "I have nothing
> to declare but my genius"?

Oscar Wilde?

> 17. According to Tennyson, what are more than coronets?
> 18. How does Cleopatra kill herself in Antony and Cleopatra?

snakebite (asp)

> 19. By which name is Eric Arthur Blair better known?

George Orwell?

> 20. What was the name of the Secret Seven's dog?
>
> Sport
> 21. What word is used in golf for hitting two under par for a hole?

eagle

> 22. Which British swimmer won a breastroke gold medal at the 1980 Olympics?
> 23. In which sport was Michael Doohan world champion?
> 24. What is the word used to descibe a female horse of less than four years
> of age?

filly?

> 25. How high in inches is a table-tennis net?

6?

> Movies
> 26. What was the name of the sequel to Jurrassic Park?

The Lost World?

> 27. What was The Titfield Thunderbolt in the 1952 film of that name?

roller coaster?

> 28. Who was married to both Frank Sinatra and Woody Allen?

Mia Farrow

> 29. Whose supposed last words were "I should never have switched from Scotch
> to Martinis"?
> 30. In which film did Goldie Hawn join the army?

Private Benjamin

> Geography
> 31. On which river did the ancient city of Babylon stand?

Euphrates?

> 32. In which British city would you find The Royal Mile?
> (I believe there might be more than one answer to this. I remember
> some controversy about it)
> 33. To which country do the Azores belong?

Portugal

> 34. In which British city is there an area called The Gorbals
> 35. Which of the United States is known as The Lone Star State?
>
> Music
> 36. St. Winifred's School Choir reached number one in 1980 with which song?
> 37. With which movie theme did the Central Band of the Royal Airforce reach
> number 18 in 1955?

Bridge On The River Kwai?

> 38. What nationality are the folk singers Foster and Allen?
> 39. Lieutenant Pigeon reached number one in September 1972 with which song?
> 40. Who was the lead singer with Madness?
>
> General Knowledge
>
> 41. The people of which religion follow the teachings of Siddharta Gautama?

Buddhism?

> 42. What flavour is creme de menthe?

mint

> 43. Who succeeded Richard Nixon as US president in 1974?
> 44. Who was the captain of the England women's cricket team between 1966 and
> 1977?
> 45. In which year did Neil Kinnock become leader of the Labour Party?
> 46. Which world heavyweight champion was known as The Brown Bomber?

Joe Louis?

> 47. Which instrument was Niccolo Paganini most famous for playing?

violin

> 48. According to the bible, who was the first person to be murdered?

Able

> 49. The letters EPNS on cutlery stands for what?
> 50. What was the real name of the Yorkshire Ripper?
> 51. Which chart topping singer's birth name was Arnold George Dorsey?
> 52. Which UK daily newspaper was first published on 7th October 1986?
> 53. Which comedian's catchphrases included "Nay, Nay, and thrice nay"?
> 54. In which TV show did Ant and Dec start their careers?
> 55. How was John Merrick, who died in 1890, better known?

The Elephant Man

> 56. What was the nationality of mountaineer Edmund Hillary?

New Zealander?

> 57. From which club did Manchester United buy Eric Cantona?
> 58. In which country was Che Guevara killed?
> 59. In computing, what are Pascal, Ada, Perl, and Python examples of?
> (The people who attend my quizzes aren't a techy bunch)
> 60. Jean Chretien is^Wwas the Prime Minister of which country?

Canada

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Joe Strickland

Jun 12, 2004, 11:59:53 AM6/12/04

> 1. What is the most common element in the universe?

Hydrogen

> 2. In which US state were the first nuclear bombs developed and tested?

New Mexico

> 5. Aboard which ship did Charles Darwin travel from 1831 to 1836?

Beagle

> 9. What was the name of the ship's computer in Red Dwarf? (Two
> answers possible)

Computer? never heard Rimmer, Lister or Kryten refer to it as anything else

> 12. Which former Nazi lived in Argentina under the name of Ricardo Clement,
> and was hanged in 1962?

Eichmann

> 30. In which film did Goldie Hawn join the army?

Private Benjamin

> 31. On which river did the ancient city of Babylon stand?

Euphrates

> 33. To which country do the Azores belong?

Portugal

> 35. Which of the United States is known as The Lone Star State?

Texas

> 41. The people of which religion follow the teachings of Siddharta Gautama?

Buddhists

> 42. What flavour is creme de menthe?

Spearmin

> 43. Who succeeded Richard Nixon as US president in 1974?

Gerald Ford

> 46. Which world heavyweight champion was known as The Brown Bomber?

Joe Louis

> 47. Which instrument was Niccolo Paganini most famous for playing?

Violin

> 48. According to the bible, who was the first person to be murdered?

Abel

> 56. What was the nationality of mountaineer Edmund Hillary?

New Zealand

> 59. In computing, what are Pascal, Ada, Perl, and Python examples of?
> (The people who attend my quizzes aren't a techy bunch)

Programming languages

> 60. Jean Chretien is^Wwas the Prime Minister of which country?

Canada

Keith Willoughby

Jun 12, 2004, 12:06:56 PM6/12/04
Marc Dashevsky wrote:

>> 24. What is the word used to descibe a female horse of less than four years
>> of age?
>
> filly?

Yup. ObTrivia: what is a female horse of four years or more?

>> 25. How high in inches is a table-tennis net?
>
> 6?

Yup

>> 27. What was The Titfield Thunderbolt in the 1952 film of that name?
>
> roller coaster?

Steam locomotive. Good film, although not up to the standard of the
other Ealing comedies.

>> 37. With which movie theme did the Central Band of the Royal Airforce reach
>> number 18 in 1955?
>
> Bridge On The River Kwai?

Good guess, but it was The Dam Busters.

Rest correct.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Keith Willoughby

Jun 12, 2004, 12:07:27 PM6/12/04
Gareth Owen wrote:

>> > The World Wide Speeder in Lorts?
>>
>> Don't get that one :(
>
> Weak ESPN spoonerism.

Aha! Sorry, I'm a little slow today.

We have always been at war with Eurasia

Gareth Owen

Jun 12, 2004, 12:03:19 PM6/12/04
Keith Willoughby <ke...@flat222.org> writes:

> Yup. ObTrivia: what is a female horse of four years or more?

A Mare?

--
Gareth Owen
There are a finite number of jokes in the universe.

Keith Willoughby

Jun 12, 2004, 12:10:07 PM6/12/04
Joe Strickland wrote:

>> 9. What was the name of the ship's computer in Red Dwarf? (Two
>> answers possible)
>
> Computer? never heard Rimmer, Lister or Kryten refer to it as anything else

Definitely Holly.

ObTrivia: What were the names of the two computers in Blake's 7?

(The rest were correct.)

". . . it is the job of thinking people, not to be on the side of the
executioners."
- Albert Camus

Joe Strickland

Jun 12, 2004, 12:15:39 PM6/12/04

>> 9. What was the name of the ship's computer in Red Dwarf? (Two
>> answers possible)
>
> Computer? never heard Rimmer, Lister or Kryten refer to it as anything else

Yes, I did. On most of them I laughed so hard, I'd forgotten. Holly.

Keith Willoughby

Jun 12, 2004, 12:21:07 PM6/12/04
Gareth Owen wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <ke...@flat222.org> writes:
>
>> Yup. ObTrivia: what is a female horse of four years or more?
>
> A Mare?

Yup.

ObObTrivia: What does a stallion have that a gelding doesn't?

"The men who run the world are democrats at home and dictators abroad."
- George Monbiot

Jeffrey Turner

Jun 12, 2004, 1:09:41 PM6/12/04
Keith Willoughby wrote:
> Gareth Owen wrote:
>

>>Keith Willoughby <ke...@flat222.org> writes:
>>

>>>Yup. ObTrivia: what is a female horse of four years or more?
>>
>>A Mare?
>

> Yup.
>
> ObObTrivia: What does a stallion have that a gelding doesn't?

A reason to go on living? ;)

--Jeff

--
Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --M. Python

Keith Willoughby

Jun 12, 2004, 1:26:09 PM6/12/04
Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>> Gareth Owen wrote:

>>>A Mare?
>> Yup.
>> ObObTrivia: What does a stallion have that a gelding doesn't?
>
> A reason to go on living? ;)

Hah!

We have always been at war with Eastasia

Mark Brader

Jun 12, 2004, 3:13:11 PM6/12/04
Okay, two easy ones still open:

Keith Willoughby and Gareth Owen:

>>> 11. In which year was the Festival of Britain held?
>>
>> 1955
>
> Nope.

1951.

>>> 49. The letters EPNS on cutlery stands for what?
>>
>> The World Wide Speeder in Lorts?

Electroplated nickel silver.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "*Nature*, Mr. Allnutt, is what we are put in this
m...@vex.net | world *to rise above*." -- The African Queen

Keith Willoughby

Jun 12, 2004, 3:19:44 PM6/12/04
Mark Brader wrote:

> Okay, two easy ones still open:
>
> Keith Willoughby and Gareth Owen:
>>>
>>> 1955
>>
>> Nope.
>
> 1951.

Yup. Hundredth anniversary of the Great Exhibition.

>>> The World Wide Speeder in Lorts?
>
> Electroplated nickel silver.

Aye.

"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
- Peter Ustinov

Steve Grant

Jun 12, 2004, 4:44:52 PM6/12/04

> Gareth Owen wrote:
>
> > Keith Willoughby <ke...@flat222.org> writes:
> >
> >> Yup. ObTrivia: what is a female horse of four years or more?
> >
> > A Mare?
>
> Yup.
>
> ObObTrivia: What does a stallion have that a gelding doesn't?

A future career at stud.

Ted S.

Jun 12, 2004, 7:05:46 PM6/12/04
Somebody claiming to be Keith Willoughby <ke...@flat222.org> wrote in

> 29. Whose supposed last words were "I should never have switched
> from Scotch to Martinis"?

29. Ian Fleming? :-)

--
Ted <fedya at bestweb dot net>
The way I see it, you raised three children who could knock out and hog-

Keith Willoughby

Jun 12, 2004, 7:17:34 PM6/12/04
Ted S. wrote:

> Somebody claiming to be Keith Willoughby <ke...@flat222.org> wrote in
>
>> 29. Whose supposed last words were "I should never have switched
>> from Scotch to Martinis"?
>
> 29. Ian Fleming? :-)

Hah. No.

"Scotch. Shaken, not, uh. Sorry, let me start again."

"Far be it from thee to do such a thing,
to slay the righteous with the wicked"

Fred the Wonder Worm

Jun 13, 2004, 5:25:40 AM6/13/04

In article <877jucu...@flat222.dyndns.org>,

Keith Willoughby <ke...@flat222.org> wrote:

> ObTrivia: What were the names of the two computers in Blake's 7?

ORAC and Slave.

Cheers,
Geoff.

Geoff Bailey (Fred the Wonder Worm) | Programmer by trade --
ft...@maths.usyd.edu.au | Gameplayer by vocation.

Richard Schultz

Jun 13, 2004, 6:49:34 AM6/13/04
In rec.games.trivia Gareth Owen <use...@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

:> 28. Who was married to both Frank Sinatra and Woody Allen?
:
: Mia Farrow

Not only was Mia Farrow never married to Woody Allen, they never even
cohabited. She was, however, married to Andre Previn.

-----
Richard Schultz sch...@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"Contrariwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be, and
if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."

Keith Willoughby

Jun 13, 2004, 3:30:20 PM6/13/04
Fred the Wonder Worm wrote:

> In article <877jucu...@flat222.dyndns.org>,
> Keith Willoughby <ke...@flat222.org> wrote:
>>
>> ObTrivia: What were the names of the two computers in Blake's 7?
>
> ORAC and Slave.

Bugger. Forgot about Slave - I was looking for Zen. It was only an
ObTrivia, though. :)

It's 'orrible being in love when you're eight and a half

Keith Willoughby

Jun 13, 2004, 6:17:54 PM6/13/04

I'm losing track of where I am. I don't think I've posted these answers
yet.

Most of them were gotten. In fact, I think Rachel Heyhoe-Flint might be
the only one that wasn't.

Science and Nature
1. What is the most common element in the universe?

Hydrogen

2. In which US state were the first nuclear bombs developed and tested?

New Mexico (Los Alamos)

3. Which scientist was master of the Royal Mint between 1699 and 1727?

Sir Isaac Newton

4. Which kind of animal has a breed called 'Tamworth'?

Pig

5. Aboard which ship did Charles Darwin travel from 1831 to 1836?

The Beagle

TV
6. Who hosted Anglia TV's Sale of the Century?

Nicholas Parsons

7. The characters Hugo Horton and Alice Tinker featured in which 90s sitcom?

Vicar of Dibley

8. What was the name of the pink hippopotamus on the childrens' TV show
'Rainbow'?

George

9. What was the name of the ship's computer in Red Dwarf?

Holly

10. Michael Douglas and Karl Malden starred in which TV crime show?

Streets of San Fransisco
History

11. In which year was the Festival of Britain held?

1951

12. Which former Nazi lived in Argentina under the name of Ricardo Clement,
and was hanged in 1962?

Adolf Eichmann

13. Who became King of Scotland in 1040?

Macbeth

14. Which folk-hero was hanged in Melbourne on 11th November 1880

Ned Kelly

15. What title did Edward I confer on his eldest son in 1301?

Prince of Wales

Literature
16. Who is supposed to have said, on arrival at US Customs, "I have nothing
to declare but my genius"?

Oscar Wilde

17. According to Tennyson, what are more than coronets?

Kind Hearts

18. How does Cleopatra kill herself in Antony and Cleopatra?

Snake bite (with an asp)

19. By which name is Eric Arthur Blair better known?

George Orwell

20. What was the name of the Secret Seven's dog?

Scamper

Sport
21. What word is used in golf for hitting two under par for a hole?

Eagle

22. Which British swimmer won a breastroke gold medal at the 1980 Olympics?

Duncan Goodhew

23. In which sport was Michael Doohan world champion?

Motorcycling

24. What is the word used to descibe a female horse of less than four years
of age?

Filly

25. How high in inches is a table-tennis net?

6 inches

Movies
26. What was the name of the sequel to Jurrassic Park?

The Lost World

27. What was The Titfield Thunderbolt in the 1952 film of that name?

A train

28. Who was married to both Frank Sinatra and Woody Allen?

Mia Farrow

29. Whose supposed last words were "I should never have switched from Scotch
to Martinis"?

Humphrey Bogart

30. In which film did Goldie Hawn join the army?

Private Benjamin

Geography
31. On which river did the ancient city of Babylon stand?

Euphrates

32. In which British city would you find The Royal Mile?

Edinburgh

33. To which country do the Azores belong?

Portugal

34. In which British city is there an area called The Gorbals

Glasgow

35. Which of the United States is known as The Lone Star State?

Texas

Music
36. St. Winifred's School Choir reached number one in 1980 with which song?

No One Quite Like Grandma

37. With which movie theme did the Central Band of the Royal Airforce reach
number 18 in 1955?

Dambusters March

38. What nationality are the folk singers Foster and Allen?

Irish

39. Lieutenant Pigeon reached number one in September 1972 with which song?

Mouldy old dough

40. Who was the lead singer with Madness?

Suggs/Graham McPherson

General Knowledge
41. The people of which religion follow the teachings of Siddharta Gautama?

Buddhism

42. What flavour is creme de menthe?

Mint

43. Who succeeded Richard Nixon as US president in 1974?

Gerald Ford

44. Who was the captain of the England women's cricket team between 1966 and
1977?

Rachel Heyhoe-Flint

45. In which year did Neil Kinnock become leader of the Labour Party?

1983

46. Which world heavyweight champion was known as The Brown Bomber?

Joe Louis

47. Which instrument was Niccolo Paganini most famous for playing?

The violin

48. According to the bible, who was the first person to be murdered?

Abel, mudered by Cain

49. The letters EPNS on cutlery stands for what?

Electro plated nickel silver

50. What was the real name of the Yorkshire Ripper?

Peter Sutcliffe

51. Which chart topping singer's birth name was Arnold George Dorsey?

Englebert Humperdink

52. Which UK daily newspaper was first published on 7th October 1986?

The Independent

53. Which comedian's catchphrases included "Nay, Nay, and thrice nay"?

Frankie Howerd

54. In which TV show did Ant and Dec start their careers?

Byker Grove

55. How was John Merrick, who died in 1890, better known?

Elephant Man

56. What was the nationality of mountaineer Edmund Hillary?

New Zealander

57. From which club did Manchester United buy Eric Cantona?

Leeds United

58. In which country was Che Guevara killed?

Bolivia

59. In computing, what are Pascal, Ada, Perl, and Python examples of?

Programming languages
60. Jean Chretien is the Prime Minister of which country?
Canada

Surveillance makes me free

Mark Brader

Jun 13, 2004, 7:12:17 PM6/13/04
Keith Willoughby:

> 2. In which US state were the first nuclear bombs developed and tested?
> New Mexico (Los Alamos)

More precisely, developed in Los Alamos and tested at Trinity site.
In reference to successively smaller places, the site is about 120
miles south of Albuquerque, 60 miles northnorthwest of Alamogordo,
30 miles west of Carrizozo, and 15 miles south of Bingham.

> 26. What was the name of the sequel to Jurrassic Park?
> The Lost World

The full title was "Jurassic Park: The Lost World".

> 27. What was The Titfield Thunderbolt in the 1952 film of that name?
> A train

No, a locomotive. Played by the 1838 locomotive Lion -- see
<http://www.asterhobbies.co.uk/pages/models/lion_history.htm>.

Yeah, I would have accepted "train" as a correct answer too.

> 51. Which chart topping singer's birth name was Arnold George Dorsey?
> Englebert Humperdink

Actually spelled Engelbert Humperdinck. He took the name from a German
operatic composer, with the result that in German-speaking countries he
was billed simply as "Engelbert" to avoid confusion. Or so I've heard.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "He seems unable to win without the added
m...@vex.net thrill of changing sides." -- Chess

Jeffrey Turner

Jun 13, 2004, 9:04:19 PM6/13/04
Mark Brader wrote:
> Keith Willoughby:
>
>> 2. In which US state were the first nuclear bombs developed and tested?
>> New Mexico (Los Alamos)
>
> More precisely, developed in Los Alamos and tested at Trinity site.
> In reference to successively smaller places, the site is about 120
> miles south of Albuquerque, 60 miles northnorthwest of Alamogordo,
> 30 miles west of Carrizozo, and 15 miles south of Bingham.

I was going to say the early development work was done in Illinois
(U. Chicago football field), but this refers to nuclear/hydrogen bombs
not atomic/uranium bombs.

>> 26. What was the name of the sequel to Jurrassic Park?
>> The Lost World
>
> The full title was "Jurassic Park: The Lost World".
>
>> 27. What was The Titfield Thunderbolt in the 1952 film of that name?
>> A train
>
> No, a locomotive. Played by the 1838 locomotive Lion -- see
> <http://www.asterhobbies.co.uk/pages/models/lion_history.htm>.
>
> Yeah, I would have accepted "train" as a correct answer too.
>
>> 51. Which chart topping singer's birth name was Arnold George Dorsey?
>> Englebert Humperdink
>
> Actually spelled Engelbert Humperdinck. He took the name from a German
> operatic composer, with the result that in German-speaking countries he
> was billed simply as "Engelbert" to avoid confusion. Or so I've heard.

I've got one word for you, Mark, "Elbridge".

Keith Willoughby

Jun 13, 2004, 10:14:03 PM6/13/04
Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> Mark Brader wrote:
>> Keith Willoughby:
>>
>>> 2. In which US state were the first nuclear bombs developed and tested?
>>> New Mexico (Los Alamos)
>> More precisely, developed in Los Alamos and tested at Trinity site.
>> In reference to successively smaller places, the site is about 120
>> miles south of Albuquerque, 60 miles northnorthwest of Alamogordo,
>> 30 miles west of Carrizozo, and 15 miles south of Bingham.
>
> I was going to say the early development work was done in Illinois
> (U. Chicago football field), but this refers to nuclear/hydrogen bombs
> not atomic/uranium bombs.

It would be incorrect anyway. I didn't say "exclusively developed", and
AFAIK a nuke has never been let off in Chicago :)

"You are the real un-Americans and you should be ashamed of yourselves."
- Paul Robeson to the HUAC

Ted Schuerzinger

Jun 13, 2004, 10:42:39 PM6/13/04
Somebody claiming to be Jeffrey Turner <jtu...@localnet.com> wrote in

> Mark Brader wrote:
>> Keith Willoughby:
>>
>>> 2. In which US state were the first nuclear bombs developed and
>>> tested?
>>> New Mexico (Los Alamos)
>>
>> More precisely, developed in Los Alamos and tested at Trinity site.
>> In reference to successively smaller places, the site is about 120
>> miles south of Albuquerque, 60 miles northnorthwest of Alamogordo, 30
>> miles west of Carrizozo, and 15 miles south of Bingham.
>
> I was going to say the early development work was done in Illinois
> (U. Chicago football field), but this refers to nuclear/hydrogen bombs
> not atomic/uranium bombs.

Never mind that they never actually *tested* the bomb under the U of C
football field. :-)

--
Ted Schuerzinger <fedya at bestweb dot net>

Mark Brader

Jun 14, 2004, 12:02:40 AM6/14/04
Keith Willoughby:
>>> 2. In which US state were the first nuclear bombs developed and tested?
>>> New Mexico (Los Alamos)

Mark Brader:
>> More precisely, developed in Los Alamos and tested at Trinity site. ...

Jeffrey Turner:

> I was going to say the early development work was done in Illinois
> (U. Chicago football field), but this refers to nuclear/hydrogen bombs
> not atomic/uranium bombs.

Er, that statement is either wrong or meaningless.

A "nuclear bomb" is any bomb whose explosive force is based on a nuclear
reaction. This can be fission of heavy elements (uranium or plutonium),
fusion of light elements (hydrogen), or a combination -- indeed, a fusion
bomb always includes a fission bomb as igniter, at least.

Fission bombs were developed first, and the early work in Chicago was part
of that. Once the Los Alamos location got started, the work moved there
(with auxiliary projects at Oak Ridge TN and Hanford WA) and both uranium
and plutonium fission bombs were built. The term "atomic bomb" was used
for them at that time.

Fusion bombs weren't even conceived when the work in Chicago was going on.
When they were being developed, the term "superbombs" was used at first,
and then they came to be known as "hydrogen bombs". They are also called
"thermonuclear bombs".

At some point "nuclear bomb" was introduced as a suitable term to include
both kinds, and one that was more precise than "atomic bomb" anyway.
--
Mark Brader "When a supposedly indivisible transaction
Toronto fails to complete properly, this is known

Gareth Owen

Jun 14, 2004, 6:26:04 AM6/14/04
Keith Willoughby <ke...@flat222.org> writes:

> Yup. Hundredth anniversary of the Great Exhibition.

Well, I knew *that*. I just thought the Great Exhibition was 1855.

Noel

Jun 14, 2004, 4:21:12 PM6/14/04
Keith Willoughby <ke...@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87oennm...@flat222.dyndns.org>...

> 50. What was the real name of the Yorkshire Ripper?
> Peter Sutcliffe

problem was that Sutcliffe was not the real Ripper. He was a copycat
killer who confessed to all the Ripper's murders as well as his own 4
murders to bent cops who had previously eliminated this mad man 12
times at least and had proved beyond all doubt that the mad man
Sutcliffe was not the Ripper.
After he was arrested in Sheffield he started confessing to excited
cops who didnt know he was already thoroughly eliminated. The
Sheffield cops thought they had the Ripper while the West York guys
who knew the true story kept quiet. Meanwhile the real Ripper remains
free in London today.
for the real evidence never shown to the public see this site.
http://www.yorkshireripper.co.uk/hyper/ripper.htm

Glenn C. Rhoads

Jun 14, 2004, 10:10:32 PM6/14/04
Keith Willoughby <ke...@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87brjov...@flat222.dyndns.org>...

> First one, from 20021707

> Science and Nature
> 1. What is the most common element in the universe?

Hydrogen

> 2. In which US state were the first nuclear bombs developed and tested?

New Mexico

> 3. Which scientist was master of the Royal Mint between 1699 and 1727?

> 4. Which kind of animal has a breed called 'Tamworth'?

> 5. Aboard which ship did Charles Darwin travel from 1831 to 1836?

The Beagle

> TV
> 6. Who hosted Anglia TV's Sale of the Century?

> 7. The characters Hugo Horton and Alice Tinker featured in which 90s sitcom?

> 8. What was the name of the pink hippopotamus on the childrens' TV show
> 'Rainbow'?

> 9. What was the name of the ship's computer in Red Dwarf? (Two
> answers possible)

> 10. Michael Douglas and Karl Malden starred in which TV crime show?

The Streets of SanFrancisco

> 11. In which year was the Festival of Britain held?

> 12. Which former Nazi lived in Argentina under the name of Ricardo Clement,
> and was hanged in 1962?

Adolf Eichmann?

> 13. Who became King of Scotland in 1040?

> 14. Which folk-hero was hanged in Melbourne on 11th November 1880

> 15. What title did Edward I confer on his eldest son in 1301?
>

> Literature
> 16. Who is supposed to have said, on arrival at US Customs, "I have nothing
> to declare but my genius"?

> 17. According to Tennyson, what are more than coronets?

> 18. How does Cleopatra kill herself in Antony and Cleopatra?

> 19. By which name is Eric Arthur Blair better known?

George Orwell

> 20. What was the name of the Secret Seven's dog?

> Sport
> 21. What word is used in golf for hitting two under par for a hole?

Eagle

> 22. Which British swimmer won a breastroke gold medal at the 1980 Olympics?

> 23. In which sport was Michael Doohan world champion?

> 24. What is the word used to descibe a female horse of less than four years
> of age?

> 25. How high in inches is a table-tennis net?
>

> Movies

> 26. What was the name of the sequel to Jurrassic Park?

The Lost World

> 27. What was The Titfield Thunderbolt in the 1952 film of that name?

> 28. Who was married to both Frank Sinatra and Woody Allen?

Mia Farrow

> 29. Whose supposed last words were "I should never have switched from Scotch
> to Martinis"?

> 30. In which film did Goldie Hawn join the army?

Private Benjamin

> Geography
> 31. On which river did the ancient city of Babylon stand?

> 32. In which British city would you find The Royal Mile?

> (I believe there might be more than one answer to this. I remember
> some controversy about it)

> 33. To which country do the Azores belong?

Portugal?

> 34. In which British city is there an area called The Gorbals

> 35. Which of the United States is known as The Lone Star State?

Texas

> Music
> 36. St. Winifred's School Choir reached number one in 1980 with which song?

> 37. With which movie theme did the Central Band of the Royal Airforce reach
> number 18 in 1955?

> 38. What nationality are the folk singers Foster and Allen?

> 39. Lieutenant Pigeon reached number one in September 1972 with which song?

> 40. Who was the lead singer with Madness?
>

> General Knowledge
>
> 41. The people of which religion follow the teachings of Siddharta Gautama?

> 42. What flavour is creme de menthe?

White or Green? :-)

They are both mint-flavored (the green is sweeter).

> 43. Who succeeded Richard Nixon as US president in 1974?

Gerald Rudolph Ford

> 44. Who was the captain of the England women's cricket team between 1966 and
> 1977?

> 45. In which year did Neil Kinnock become leader of the Labour Party?

> 46. Which world heavyweight champion was known as The Brown Bomber?

Joe Louis

> 47. Which instrument was Niccolo Paganini most famous for playing?

The violin

> 48. According to the bible, who was the first person to be murdered?

Abel (murdered by his brother Cain).

> 49. The letters EPNS on cutlery stands for what?

> 50. What was the real name of the Yorkshire Ripper?

> 51. Which chart topping singer's birth name was Arnold George Dorsey?

> 52. Which UK daily newspaper was first published on 7th October 1986?

> 53. Which comedian's catchphrases included "Nay, Nay, and thrice nay"?

> 54. In which TV show did Ant and Dec start their careers?

> 55. How was John Merrick, who died in 1890, better known?

The Elephant Man

> 56. What was the nationality of mountaineer Edmund Hillary?

> 57. From which club did Manchester United buy Eric Cantona?

> 58. In which country was Che Guevara killed?

> 59. In computing, what are Pascal, Ada, Perl, and Python examples of?

> (The people who attend my quizzes aren't a techy bunch)

Programming Languages