QFTCI5GNM15 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: Conn Smythe, brand owners

Mark Brader

Sep 27, 2015, 11:36:18 PM9/27/15
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-05-11,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 4, Round 4 - Sports - Conn Smythe Trophy Winners

The National Hockey League's Conn Smythe Trophy is presented each
year to the most valuable player for his team *in the playoffs*.

1. In 1965, this Montreal Canadien became the first Conn Smythe
Trophy winner. Name him.

2. Name the only Toronto Maple Leaf to have won the award, back
in 1967 when the Leafs last won the Stanley Cup.

3. Only two players have been Conn Smythe winners in back-to-back
years. One was Mario Lemieux of the Pittsburgh Penguins, in
1991 and 1992. Name the other, who did it as a Philadelphia
Flyer in 1974 and 1975.

4. Between them, hockey legends Wayne Gretzky and Bobby Orr have
won a total of how many Conn Smythe awards?

5. Five players have won the Conn Smythe as members of teams
that have *lost* in the Stanley Cup final. The first was Roger
Crozier of the Detroit Red Wings in 1966; the most recent was
Jean-Sebastien Giguere of the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim in 2003.
Name *any one* of the three in between.

6. Who is the only player to have won the trophy three times?
It was in 1986, 1993, and 2001.

7. In 1994 he became the first US-born player to be a Conn Smythe
winner. Name him.

8. In 2009 he became the first Russian-born Conn Smythe winner.
Name him.

9. Four members of the New York Islanders were Conn Smythe winners
when their team won 4 straight Stanley Cups beginning in 1980.
Bryan Trottier was the Conn Smythe winner in 1980, while Mike
Bossy was the recipient in 1982. Name *either* of the other two.

10. He was the Conn Smythe winner in 1971 and went on to win the
Calder Trophy as the NHL's best rookie the *following* season.
Name him.

* Game 4, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - Unfair Trade?

The global economy is based on the notion of open competition in
a free market. But many popular brands are owned by a handful
of corporations, putting this notion to the test. Here are 10
questions on such corporations and their brands. In each case, we
give you a list of brands, and you name the company that owns them.

1. Gatorade, Tropicana, Quakers, Cheetos, Doritos, Lay's.

2. Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini (all cars).

3. Corona, Rolling Rock, Shock Top, Michelob, Hoegaarden, Stella
Artois (all beers).

4. Guinness (beer), Smirnoff (vodka), Tanqueray (gin), Captain
Morgan (rum), Johnnie Walker (whiskey), Crown Royal (whiskey),
Baileys (liqueur).

5. Cadbury, Toblerone (chocolates); Tassimo (coffee); Oreo, Chips
Ahoy, Triscuit (cookies); Trident, Dentyne, Stride (chewing gum).

6. Cover Girl, Olay (cosmetics); Bounty, Tide, Mr. Clean
(household); Head & Shoulders, Gillette (personal care); Crest,
Oral-B (dental care); Vicks, Pepto-Bismol (health care).

7. Aveeno, Neutrogena (cosmetics); Tylenol, Polysporin, Benadryl
(health care); Splenda (sweetener), Lactaid (creamer); Listerine
(mouthwash).

8. Dove, Vaseline, Q-Tips (personal care); Ben and Jerry's, Klondike
(ice cream); Hellman's (mayo), Becel (margarine).

9. Green Giant (frozen vegetables); Betty Crocker, Pillsbury
(baking products); Cheerios, Fibre One (cereals); Liberté
(yogurt).

10. Aero, KitKat, Smarties (chocolates); Delissio, Hot Pockets
(frozen pizza); Purina, Beneful (pet food); Perrier, Poland
Spring (bottled water). The company also owns 30% of cosmetics
company L'Oréal and its brands like Garnier, Maybelline, and
The Body Shop stores.

--
Mark Brader | "I believe we can build a better world!
Toronto | Of course, it'll take a whole lot of rock, water and dirt.

Dan Blum

Sep 28, 2015, 12:14:22 AM9/28/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Sports - Conn Smythe Trophy Winners

> 4. Between them, hockey legends Wayne Gretzky and Bobby Orr have
> won a total of how many Conn Smythe awards?

4; 3

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - Unfair Trade?

> 1. Gatorade, Tropicana, Quakers, Cheetos, Doritos, Lay's.

PepsiCo; Frito-Lay

> 2. Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini (all cars).

Volkswagen

> 3. Corona, Rolling Rock, Shock Top, Michelob, Hoegaarden, Stella
> Artois (all beers).

Anheuser-Busch

> 4. Guinness (beer), Smirnoff (vodka), Tanqueray (gin), Captain
> Morgan (rum), Johnnie Walker (whiskey), Crown Royal (whiskey),
> Baileys (liqueur).

Seagram's

> 5. Cadbury, Toblerone (chocolates); Tassimo (coffee); Oreo, Chips
> Ahoy, Triscuit (cookies); Trident, Dentyne, Stride (chewing gum).

Nabisco

> 6. Cover Girl, Olay (cosmetics); Bounty, Tide, Mr. Clean
> (household); Head & Shoulders, Gillette (personal care); Crest,
> Oral-B (dental care); Vicks, Pepto-Bismol (health care).

Proctor & Gamble

> 7. Aveeno, Neutrogena (cosmetics); Tylenol, Polysporin, Benadryl
> (health care); Splenda (sweetener), Lactaid (creamer); Listerine
> (mouthwash).

Johnson & Johnson

> 8. Dove, Vaseline, Q-Tips (personal care); Ben and Jerry's, Klondike
> (ice cream); Hellman's (mayo), Becel (margarine).

Best Foods

> 9. Green Giant (frozen vegetables); Betty Crocker, Pillsbury
> (baking products); Cheerios, Fibre One (cereals); Libert?
> (yogurt).

Beatrice

> 10. Aero, KitKat, Smarties (chocolates); Delissio, Hot Pockets
> (frozen pizza); Purina, Beneful (pet food); Perrier, Poland
> Spring (bottled water). The company also owns 30% of cosmetics
> company L'Or?al and its brands like Garnier, Maybelline, and
> The Body Shop stores.

Nestle

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Sep 28, 2015, 12:57:01 AM9/28/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:EradnSuwooEvKJXLnZ2dnUU7-
X2d...@vex.net:

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Sports - Conn Smythe Trophy Winners
>
> The National Hockey League's Conn Smythe Trophy is presented each
> year to the most valuable player for his team *in the playoffs*.
>
> 1. In 1965, this Montreal Canadien became the first Conn Smythe
> Trophy winner. Name him.

Richard

> 4. Between them, hockey legends Wayne Gretzky and Bobby Orr have
> won a total of how many Conn Smythe awards?

0; 1

> 6. Who is the only player to have won the trophy three times?
> It was in 1986, 1993, and 2001.

Lemieux

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - Unfair Trade?
>
> Here are 10
> questions on such corporations and their brands. In each case, we
> give you a list of brands, and you name the company that owns them.
>
> 1. Gatorade, Tropicana, Quakers, Cheetos, Doritos, Lay's.

Pepsico

> 2. Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini (all cars).

Mercedes-Benz; Daimler

> 3. Corona, Rolling Rock, Shock Top, Michelob, Hoegaarden, Stella
> Artois (all beers).

MillerCoors

> 4. Guinness (beer), Smirnoff (vodka), Tanqueray (gin), Captain
> Morgan (rum), Johnnie Walker (whiskey), Crown Royal (whiskey),
> Baileys (liqueur).

Diageo

> 5. Cadbury, Toblerone (chocolates); Tassimo (coffee); Oreo, Chips
> Ahoy, Triscuit (cookies); Trident, Dentyne, Stride (chewing gum).

Mondelez; Kraft

> 6. Cover Girl, Olay (cosmetics); Bounty, Tide, Mr. Clean
> (household); Head & Shoulders, Gillette (personal care); Crest,
> Oral-B (dental care); Vicks, Pepto-Bismol (health care).

Procter & Gamble

> 7. Aveeno, Neutrogena (cosmetics); Tylenol, Polysporin, Benadryl
> (health care); Splenda (sweetener), Lactaid (creamer); Listerine
> (mouthwash).

Johnson & Johnson

> 8. Dove, Vaseline, Q-Tips (personal care); Ben and Jerry's, Klondike
> (ice cream); Hellman's (mayo), Becel (margarine).

Unilever

> 9. Green Giant (frozen vegetables); Betty Crocker, Pillsbury
> (baking products); Cheerios, Fibre One (cereals); Liberté
> (yogurt).

General Mills

> 10. Aero, KitKat, Smarties (chocolates); Delissio, Hot Pockets
> (frozen pizza); Purina, Beneful (pet food); Perrier, Poland
> Spring (bottled water). The company also owns 30% of cosmetics
> company L'Oréal and its brands like Garnier, Maybelline, and
> The Body Shop stores.

Nestle

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Sep 28, 2015, 6:40:30 AM9/28/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Sports - Conn Smythe Trophy Winners
>
> The National Hockey League's Conn Smythe Trophy is presented each
> year to the most valuable player for his team *in the playoffs*.
>
> 1. In 1965, this Montreal Canadien became the first Conn Smythe
> Trophy winner. Name him.
>
> 2. Name the only Toronto Maple Leaf to have won the award, back
> in 1967 when the Leafs last won the Stanley Cup.
>
> 3. Only two players have been Conn Smythe winners in back-to-back
> years. One was Mario Lemieux of the Pittsburgh Penguins, in
> 1991 and 1992. Name the other, who did it as a Philadelphia
> Flyer in 1974 and 1975.
>
> 4. Between them, hockey legends Wayne Gretzky and Bobby Orr have
> won a total of how many Conn Smythe awards?

zero
PepsiCo

> 2. Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini (all cars).

Volkswagen

> 3. Corona, Rolling Rock, Shock Top, Michelob, Hoegaarden, Stella
> Artois (all beers).

Anheuser-Busch InBev

> 4. Guinness (beer), Smirnoff (vodka), Tanqueray (gin), Captain
> Morgan (rum), Johnnie Walker (whiskey), Crown Royal (whiskey),
> Baileys (liqueur).
>
> 5. Cadbury, Toblerone (chocolates); Tassimo (coffee); Oreo, Chips
> Ahoy, Triscuit (cookies); Trident, Dentyne, Stride (chewing gum).

Nabisco

> 6. Cover Girl, Olay (cosmetics); Bounty, Tide, Mr. Clean
> (household); Head & Shoulders, Gillette (personal care); Crest,
> Oral-B (dental care); Vicks, Pepto-Bismol (health care).

Procter & Gamble

> 7. Aveeno, Neutrogena (cosmetics); Tylenol, Polysporin, Benadryl
> (health care); Splenda (sweetener), Lactaid (creamer); Listerine
> (mouthwash).

Johnson & Johnson

> 8. Dove, Vaseline, Q-Tips (personal care); Ben and Jerry's, Klondike
> (ice cream); Hellman's (mayo), Becel (margarine).

Chesebrough-Ponds

> 9. Green Giant (frozen vegetables); Betty Crocker, Pillsbury
> (baking products); Cheerios, Fibre One (cereals); Liberté
> (yogurt).

General Mills

--
Dan Tilque

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 28, 2015, 8:58:37 AM9/28/15
In article <EradnSuwooEvKJXL...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 4, Round 4 - Sports - Conn Smythe Trophy Winners
>
> The National Hockey League's Conn Smythe Trophy is presented each
> year to the most valuable player for his team *in the playoffs*.
>
> 1. In 1965, this Montreal Canadien became the first Conn Smythe
> Trophy winner. Name him.
>
> 2. Name the only Toronto Maple Leaf to have won the award, back
> in 1967 when the Leafs last won the Stanley Cup.
>
> 3. Only two players have been Conn Smythe winners in back-to-back
> years. One was Mario Lemieux of the Pittsburgh Penguins, in
> 1991 and 1992. Name the other, who did it as a Philadelphia
> Flyer in 1974 and 1975.
>
> 4. Between them, hockey legends Wayne Gretzky and Bobby Orr have
> won a total of how many Conn Smythe awards?
4; 5

> 5. Five players have won the Conn Smythe as members of teams
> that have *lost* in the Stanley Cup final. The first was Roger
> Crozier of the Detroit Red Wings in 1966; the most recent was
> Jean-Sebastien Giguere of the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim in 2003.
> Name *any one* of the three in between.
>
> 6. Who is the only player to have won the trophy three times?
> It was in 1986, 1993, and 2001.
Patrick Roy

> 7. In 1994 he became the first US-born player to be a Conn Smythe
> winner. Name him.
>
> 8. In 2009 he became the first Russian-born Conn Smythe winner.
> Name him.
>
> 9. Four members of the New York Islanders were Conn Smythe winners
> when their team won 4 straight Stanley Cups beginning in 1980.
> Bryan Trottier was the Conn Smythe winner in 1980, while Mike
> Bossy was the recipient in 1982. Name *either* of the other two.
>
> 10. He was the Conn Smythe winner in 1971 and went on to win the
> Calder Trophy as the NHL's best rookie the *following* season.
> Name him.
>

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - Unfair Trade?
>
> The global economy is based on the notion of open competition in
> a free market. But many popular brands are owned by a handful
> of corporations, putting this notion to the test. Here are 10
> questions on such corporations and their brands. In each case, we
> give you a list of brands, and you name the company that owns them.
>
> 1. Gatorade, Tropicana, Quakers, Cheetos, Doritos, Lay's.
PepsiCo

> 2. Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini (all cars).
Volkswagen

> 3. Corona, Rolling Rock, Shock Top, Michelob, Hoegaarden, Stella
> Artois (all beers).
>
> 4. Guinness (beer), Smirnoff (vodka), Tanqueray (gin), Captain
> Morgan (rum), Johnnie Walker (whiskey), Crown Royal (whiskey),
> Baileys (liqueur).
>
> 5. Cadbury, Toblerone (chocolates); Tassimo (coffee); Oreo, Chips
> Ahoy, Triscuit (cookies); Trident, Dentyne, Stride (chewing gum).
>
> 6. Cover Girl, Olay (cosmetics); Bounty, Tide, Mr. Clean
> (household); Head & Shoulders, Gillette (personal care); Crest,
> Oral-B (dental care); Vicks, Pepto-Bismol (health care).
Procter & Gamble

> 7. Aveeno, Neutrogena (cosmetics); Tylenol, Polysporin, Benadryl
> (health care); Splenda (sweetener), Lactaid (creamer); Listerine
> (mouthwash).
Johnson & Johnson

> 8. Dove, Vaseline, Q-Tips (personal care); Ben and Jerry's, Klondike
> (ice cream); Hellman's (mayo), Becel (margarine).
>
> 9. Green Giant (frozen vegetables); Betty Crocker, Pillsbury
> (baking products); Cheerios, Fibre One (cereals); Liberté
> (yogurt).
General Mills

> 10. Aero, KitKat, Smarties (chocolates); Delissio, Hot Pockets
> (frozen pizza); Purina, Beneful (pet food); Perrier, Poland
> Spring (bottled water). The company also owns 30% of cosmetics
> company L'Oréal and its brands like Garnier, Maybelline, and
> The Body Shop stores.
Nestle

Pete

Sep 28, 2015, 10:04:04 PM9/28/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:EradnSuwooEvKJXLnZ2dnUU7-
X2d...@vex.net:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-05-11,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Sports - Conn Smythe Trophy Winners
>
> The National Hockey League's Conn Smythe Trophy is presented each
> year to the most valuable player for his team *in the playoffs*.
>
> 1. In 1965, this Montreal Canadien became the first Conn Smythe
> Trophy winner. Name him.

Jean Beliveau; Jacques Plante

> 2. Name the only Toronto Maple Leaf to have won the award, back
> in 1967 when the Leafs last won the Stanley Cup.

Bob Baun

> 3. Only two players have been Conn Smythe winners in back-to-back
> years. One was Mario Lemieux of the Pittsburgh Penguins, in
> 1991 and 1992. Name the other, who did it as a Philadelphia
> Flyer in 1974 and 1975.

Bobby (the leg-breaker) Clarke

> 4. Between them, hockey legends Wayne Gretzky and Bobby Orr have
> won a total of how many Conn Smythe awards?

3; 2

> 5. Five players have won the Conn Smythe as members of teams
> that have *lost* in the Stanley Cup final. The first was Roger
> Crozier of the Detroit Red Wings in 1966; the most recent was
> Jean-Sebastien Giguere of the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim in 2003.
> Name *any one* of the three in between.
>
> 6. Who is the only player to have won the trophy three times?
> It was in 1986, 1993, and 2001.

Messier

> 7. In 1994 he became the first US-born player to be a Conn Smythe
> winner. Name him.

Brett Hull

> 8. In 2009 he became the first Russian-born Conn Smythe winner.
> Name him.

Malkin

> 9. Four members of the New York Islanders were Conn Smythe winners
> when their team won 4 straight Stanley Cups beginning in 1980.
> Bryan Trottier was the Conn Smythe winner in 1980, while Mike
> Bossy was the recipient in 1982. Name *either* of the other two.

Smith

> 10. He was the Conn Smythe winner in 1971 and went on to win the
> Calder Trophy as the NHL's best rookie the *following* season.
> Name him.

Sanderson; Dryden

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - Unfair Trade?
>
> The global economy is based on the notion of open competition in
> a free market. But many popular brands are owned by a handful
> of corporations, putting this notion to the test. Here are 10
> questions on such corporations and their brands. In each case, we
> give you a list of brands, and you name the company that owns them.
>
> 1. Gatorade, Tropicana, Quakers, Cheetos, Doritos, Lay's.

Kraft

> 2. Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini (all cars).

Volkswagen

> 3. Corona, Rolling Rock, Shock Top, Michelob, Hoegaarden, Stella
> Artois (all beers).

InBev

> 4. Guinness (beer), Smirnoff (vodka), Tanqueray (gin), Captain
> Morgan (rum), Johnnie Walker (whiskey), Crown Royal (whiskey),
> Baileys (liqueur).

Canada Dry; Schweppes

> 5. Cadbury, Toblerone (chocolates); Tassimo (coffee); Oreo, Chips
> Ahoy, Triscuit (cookies); Trident, Dentyne, Stride (chewing gum).

Mondelez

> 6. Cover Girl, Olay (cosmetics); Bounty, Tide, Mr. Clean
> (household); Head & Shoulders, Gillette (personal care); Crest,
> Oral-B (dental care); Vicks, Pepto-Bismol (health care).

Proctor & Gamble; S.C. Johnson

> 7. Aveeno, Neutrogena (cosmetics); Tylenol, Polysporin, Benadryl
> (health care); Splenda (sweetener), Lactaid (creamer); Listerine
> (mouthwash).

S.C. Johnson; Johnson & Johnson

> 8. Dove, Vaseline, Q-Tips (personal care); Ben and Jerry's, Klondike
> (ice cream); Hellman's (mayo), Becel (margarine).

S.C. Johnson

> 9. Green Giant (frozen vegetables); Betty Crocker, Pillsbury
> (baking products); Cheerios, Fibre One (cereals); Liberté
> (yogurt).

General Mills

> 10. Aero, KitKat, Smarties (chocolates); Delissio, Hot Pockets
> (frozen pizza); Purina, Beneful (pet food); Perrier, Poland
> Spring (bottled water). The company also owns 30% of cosmetics
> company L'Oréal and its brands like Garnier, Maybelline, and
> The Body Shop stores.

Mars

Pete

Calvin

Sep 29, 2015, 5:27:20 AM9/29/15
On Monday, September 28, 2015 at 1:36:18 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Sports - Conn Smythe Trophy Winners

Pass. Or more precisely, Gordie Howe x 10.

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - Unfair Trade?
>
> The global economy is based on the notion of open competition in
> a free market. But many popular brands are owned by a handful
> of corporations, putting this notion to the test. Here are 10
> questions on such corporations and their brands. In each case, we
> give you a list of brands, and you name the company that owns them.
>
> 1. Gatorade, Tropicana, Quakers, Cheetos, Doritos, Lay's.
>
> 2. Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini (all cars).

VW

> 3. Corona, Rolling Rock, Shock Top, Michelob, Hoegaarden, Stella
> Artois (all beers).

SAB Miller

> 4. Guinness (beer), Smirnoff (vodka), Tanqueray (gin), Captain
> Morgan (rum), Johnnie Walker (whiskey), Crown Royal (whiskey),
> Baileys (liqueur).

Diageo

> 5. Cadbury, Toblerone (chocolates); Tassimo (coffee); Oreo, Chips
> Ahoy, Triscuit (cookies); Trident, Dentyne, Stride (chewing gum).

Nestle

> 6. Cover Girl, Olay (cosmetics); Bounty, Tide, Mr. Clean
> (household); Head & Shoulders, Gillette (personal care); Crest,
> Oral-B (dental care); Vicks, Pepto-Bismol (health care).
>
> 7. Aveeno, Neutrogena (cosmetics); Tylenol, Polysporin, Benadryl
> (health care); Splenda (sweetener), Lactaid (creamer); Listerine
> (mouthwash).
>
> 8. Dove, Vaseline, Q-Tips (personal care); Ben and Jerry's, Klondike
> (ice cream); Hellman's (mayo), Becel (margarine).
>
> 9. Green Giant (frozen vegetables); Betty Crocker, Pillsbury
> (baking products); Cheerios, Fibre One (cereals); Liberté
> (yogurt).
>
> 10. Aero, KitKat, Smarties (chocolates); Delissio, Hot Pockets
> (frozen pizza); Purina, Beneful (pet food); Perrier, Poland
> Spring (bottled water). The company also owns 30% of cosmetics
> company L'Oréal and its brands like Garnier, Maybelline, and
> The Body Shop stores.

Rowntree, Nestle

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Sep 29, 2015, 9:13:25 AM9/29/15
"Calvin":
> Pass. Or more precisely, Gordie Howe x 10.

I will score this as 10 answers of "Gordie Howe", but in future please
quote each question and give your answer below it.
--
Mark Brader "After many years of teaching, you get to learn
Toronto quite a lot about how to design a better idiot."

Björn Lundin

Sep 29, 2015, 4:42:47 PM9/29/15
On 2015-09-28 05:36, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-05-11,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Sports - Conn Smythe Trophy Winners
>
> The National Hockey League's Conn Smythe Trophy is presented each
> year to the most valuable player for his team *in the playoffs*.
>

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - Unfair Trade?
>
> The global economy is based on the notion of open competition in
> a free market. But many popular brands are owned by a handful
> of corporations, putting this notion to the test. Here are 10
> questions on such corporations and their brands. In each case, we
> give you a list of brands, and you name the company that owns them.
>

> 2. Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini (all cars).

V.A.G

> 3. Corona, Rolling Rock, Shock Top, Michelob, Hoegaarden, Stella
> Artois (all beers).
>
> 4. Guinness (beer), Smirnoff (vodka), Tanqueray (gin), Captain
> Morgan (rum), Johnnie Walker (whiskey), Crown Royal (whiskey),
> Baileys (liqueur).
>
> 5. Cadbury, Toblerone (chocolates); Tassimo (coffee); Oreo, Chips
> Ahoy, Triscuit (cookies); Trident, Dentyne, Stride (chewing gum).

Unilever

> 6. Cover Girl, Olay (cosmetics); Bounty, Tide, Mr. Clean
> (household); Head & Shoulders, Gillette (personal care); Crest,
> Oral-B (dental care); Vicks, Pepto-Bismol (health care).

Procter & Gamble

> 10. Aero, KitKat, Smarties (chocolates); Delissio, Hot Pockets
> (frozen pizza); Purina, Beneful (pet food); Perrier, Poland
> Spring (bottled water). The company also owns 30% of cosmetics
> company L'Oréal and its brands like Garnier, Maybelline, and
> The Body Shop stores.

Nestlé

Björn

Jason Kreitzer

Sep 30, 2015, 6:56:09 PM9/30/15
Zero answers
Zero

Mark Brader

Oct 1, 2015, 12:48:58 AM10/1/15
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-05-11,
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Sports - Conn Smythe Trophy Winners

> The National Hockey League's Conn Smythe Trophy is presented each
> year to the most valuable player for his team *in the playoffs*.

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. In 1965, this Montreal Canadien became the first Conn Smythe
> Trophy winner. Name him.

Jean Béliveau. 3 for Pete.

> 2. Name the only Toronto Maple Leaf to have won the award, back
> in 1967 when the Leafs last won the Stanley Cup.

Dave Keon.

> 3. Only two players have been Conn Smythe winners in back-to-back
> years. One was Mario Lemieux of the Pittsburgh Penguins, in
> 1991 and 1992. Name the other, who did it as a Philadelphia
> Flyer in 1974 and 1975.

Bernie Parent.

> 4. Between them, hockey legends Wayne Gretzky and Bobby Orr have
> won a total of how many Conn Smythe awards?

4. (Orr with the Boston Bruins in 1970 and 1972, Gretzky with the
Edmonton Oilers in 1985 and 1988.) 3 for Dan Blum and Marc.

> 5. Five players have won the Conn Smythe as members of teams
> that have *lost* in the Stanley Cup final. The first was Roger
> Crozier of the Detroit Red Wings in 1966; the most recent was
> Jean-Sebastien Giguere of the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim in 2003.
> Name *any one* of the three in between.

Glenn Hall (1968, St. Louis Blues), Reggie Leach (1976, Philadelphia
Flyers), Ron Hextall (1987, Philadelphia Flyers).

> 6. Who is the only player to have won the trophy three times?
> It was in 1986, 1993, and 2001.

Patrick Roy (twice with the Montreal Canadiens, then with the
Colorado Avalanche). 4 for Marc.

> 7. In 1994 he became the first US-born player to be a Conn Smythe
> winner. Name him.

Brian Leetch (New York Rangers).

> 8. In 2009 he became the first Russian-born Conn Smythe winner.
> Name him.

Evgeni Malkin (Pittsburgh Penguins). 4 for Pete.

> 9. Four members of the New York Islanders were Conn Smythe winners
> when their team won 4 straight Stanley Cups beginning in 1980.
> Bryan Trottier was the Conn Smythe winner in 1980, while Mike
> Bossy was the recipient in 1982. Name *either* of the other two.

Butch Goring (1981), Billy Smith (1983). 2 for Pete.

> 10. He was the Conn Smythe winner in 1971 and went on to win the
> Calder Trophy as the NHL's best rookie the *following* season.
> Name him.

Ken Dryden. 2 for Pete.

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - Unfair Trade?

> The global economy is based on the notion of open competition in
> a free market. But many popular brands are owned by a handful
> of corporations, putting this notion to the test. Here are 10
> questions on such corporations and their brands. In each case, we
> give you a list of brands, and you name the company that owns them.

If you gave an answer that was scored as wrong but you believe it's
now correct because things have changed since the original game,
post a protest and I'll check it out. An answer accepted in this
way need not relate to all the brands in a list; any one will do.

> 1. Gatorade, Tropicana, Quakers, Cheetos, Doritos, Lay's.

PepsiCo. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Marc. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 2. Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini (all cars).

Volkswagen. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Marc, Pete, and Calvin.

> 3. Corona, Rolling Rock, Shock Top, Michelob, Hoegaarden, Stella
> Artois (all beers).

Anheuser-Busch InBev. I accepted either part. 4 for Dan Blum,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 4. Guinness (beer), Smirnoff (vodka), Tanqueray (gin), Captain
> Morgan (rum), Johnnie Walker (whiskey), Crown Royal (whiskey),
> Baileys (liqueur).

Diageo plc. 4 for Joshua and Calvin.

> 5. Cadbury, Toblerone (chocolates); Tassimo (coffee); Oreo, Chips
> Ahoy, Triscuit (cookies); Trident, Dentyne, Stride (chewing gum).

Mondelez International. With a macron on the second E, yet.
4 for Pete. 3 for Joshua.

Mondelez is a relatively new company, spun off by Kraft Foods 3 years
before the latter merged with Heinz.

> 6. Cover Girl, Olay (cosmetics); Bounty, Tide, Mr. Clean
> (household); Head & Shoulders, Gillette (personal care); Crest,
> Oral-B (dental care); Vicks, Pepto-Bismol (health care).

Proctor & Gamble (accepting P&G). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
Marc, and Björn. 3 for Pete.

> 7. Aveeno, Neutrogena (cosmetics); Tylenol, Polysporin, Benadryl
> (health care); Splenda (sweetener), Lactaid (creamer); Listerine
> (mouthwash).

Johnson & Johnson. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Marc.
2 for Pete.

> 8. Dove, Vaseline, Q-Tips (personal care); Ben and Jerry's, Klondike
> (ice cream); Hellman's (mayo), Becel (margarine).

Unilever. 4 for Joshua.

> 9. Green Giant (frozen vegetables); Betty Crocker, Pillsbury
> (baking products); Cheerios, Fibre One (cereals); Liberté
> (yogurt).

General Mills. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, and Pete.

> 10. Aero, KitKat, Smarties (chocolates); Delissio, Hot Pockets
> (frozen pizza); Purina, Beneful (pet food); Perrier, Poland
> Spring (bottled water). The company also owns 30% of cosmetics
> company L'Oréal and its brands like Garnier, Maybelline, and
> The Body Shop stores.

Nestlé. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, and Björn. 2 for Calvin.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Sci Ent Spo Mis
Marc Dashevsky 40 20 7 24 91
Joshua Kreitzer 18 36 0 31 85
Dan Blum 27 22 3 23 75
Dan Tilque 32 12 0 24 68
Pete Gayde 19 8 11 21 59
Gareth Owen 17 28 -- -- 45
Björn Lundin 24 4 0 8 36
Peter Smyth 20 12 -- -- 32
Erland Sommarskog 24 4 -- -- 28
Jason Kreitzer 8 12 0 0 20
"Calvin" -- -- 0 10 10

--
Mark Brader, Toronto / "There are three types of software documentation:
m...@vex.net / tutorial, mnemonic and misleading." --Larry Colen

Björn Lundin

Oct 1, 2015, 4:25:57 PM10/1/15
On 2015-10-01 06:48, Mark Brader wrote:

>> 2. Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini (all cars).
>
> Volkswagen. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Marc, Pete, and Calvin.

I get nothing for V.A.G ?
That is Volkswagen Auto Groupe

Björn

Mark Brader

Oct 1, 2015, 5:21:53 PM10/1/15
Mark Brader:
>>> 2. Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini (all cars).
>>
>> Volkswagen. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Marc, Pete, and Calvin.

Björn Lundin:
> I get nothing for V.A.G ?

I assumed "AG" was the German equivalent of Co. or Ltd., and I wasn't
accepting a one-letter company name.

> That is Volkswagen Auto Groupe

Is it? Not in English, that I've heard. Okay, 4 for Björn. Scores,
if there are now no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Sci Ent Spo Mis
Marc Dashevsky 40 20 7 24 91
Joshua Kreitzer 18 36 0 31 85
Dan Blum 27 22 3 23 75
Dan Tilque 32 12 0 24 68
Pete Gayde 19 8 11 21 59
Gareth Owen 17 28 -- -- 45
Björn Lundin 24 4 0 12 40
Peter Smyth 20 12 -- -- 32
Erland Sommarskog 24 4 -- -- 28
Jason Kreitzer 8 12 0 0 20
"Calvin" -- -- 0 10 10

--
Mark Brader "There are no prime numbers in Dream London...
Toronto Or there won't be in the future."