Calvin's Quiz #438

Calvin

May 4, 2016, 8:18:15 PM5/4/16

1 In February Janet Yellen became the first woman to hold which post?
2 Which language is primarily spoken in the Flanders region of Belgium?
3 The clothing manufacturer and retailer Uniqlo is based in which Asian country?
4 The region of Bohemia lies in which present-day European country?
5 "Hakuna Matata" is a song from which 1994 Disney animated film?
6 The Dolomites mountains are located in which European country?
7 By what name is the reindeer more commonly known in the USA?
8 What two-word term is both a children's toy and a fake account created to defend oneself in an online forum?
9 Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton co-starred in which 1996 disaster film?
10 Which US university is often known by the acronym UCSD?

cheers,
calvin

Pete

May 4, 2016, 8:49:49 PM5/4/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 In February Janet Yellen became the first woman to hold which
> post?

Federal Reserve

> 2 Which language is primarily spoken in the Flanders region
> of Belgium?

French

> 3 The clothing manufacturer and retailer Uniqlo is
> based in which Asian country?

Thailand

> 4 The region of Bohemia lies in which present-day European
country?

Czech Republic

> 5 "Hakuna Matata" is a song from which 1994 Disney animated film?

Lion King

> 6 The Dolomites mountains are located in which European country?

Italy

> 7 By what name is the reindeer more commonly known in the USA?

Caribou

> 8 What two-word term is
> both a children's toy and a fake account created to defend oneself in
> an online forum?

Sock puppet

> 9 Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton co-starred in which
> 1996 disaster film?

Twister

> 10 Which US university is often known by the acronym UCSD?

University of California San Diego

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Chris F.A. Johnson

May 4, 2016, 11:08:03 PM5/4/16
On 2016-05-05, Calvin wrote:

> 1 In February Janet Yellen became the first woman to hold which post?

Chair of the US Federal Reserve

> 2 Which language is primarily spoken in the Flanders region of Belgium?

Flemish

> 3 The clothing manufacturer and retailer Uniqlo is based in which Asian country?
> 4 The region of Bohemia lies in which present-day European country?

Czech Republic

> 5 "Hakuna Matata" is a song from which 1994 Disney animated film?

The Lion King

> 6 The Dolomites mountains are located in which European country?

Italy

> 7 By what name is the reindeer more commonly known in the USA?

Caribou

> 8 What two-word term is both a children's toy and a fake account created to defend oneself in an online forum?

Sock puppet

> 9 Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton co-starred in which 1996 disaster film?

Twister

> 10 Which US university is often known by the acronym UCSD?

University of California at San Diego

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Mark Brader

May 5, 2016, 12:20:35 AM5/5/16
"Calvin":
> 1 In February Janet Yellen became the first woman to hold which post?

Chairman of the Fed (US Federal Reserve Bank), I think.

> 2 Which language is primarily spoken in the Flanders region
> of Belgium?

Oh geez, which half of the country is which? I think this is the
Dutch (sometimes called Flemish) -speaking part.

> 3 The clothing manufacturer and retailer Uniqlo is based in
> which Asian country?

India?

> 4 The region of Bohemia lies in which present-day European country?

The Czech Republic, now also known or about to be also known as Czechia.

> 5 "Hakuna Matata" is a song from which 1994 Disney animated film?

"The Lion King".

> 6 The Dolomites mountains are located in which European country?

Italy.

> 7 By what name is the reindeer more commonly known in the USA?

Caribou.

> 8 What two-word term is both a children's toy and a fake
> account created to defend oneself in an online forum?

Sock puppet.

> 9 Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton co-starred in which 1996 disaster film?

"Twister".

> 10 Which US university is often known by the acronym UCSD?

I believe the whole University of California system is actually
one university. UCSD is their campus at San Diego.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Show that 17x17 = 289. Generalise this result."
m...@vex.net | -- Carl E. Linderholm

Björn Lundin

May 5, 2016, 4:58:16 AM5/5/16
On 2016-05-05 02:18, Calvin wrote:

> 1 In February Janet Yellen became the first woman to hold which post?
> 2 Which language is primarily spoken in the Flanders region of Belgium?
Dutch
> 3 The clothing manufacturer and retailer Uniqlo is based in which Asian country?
> 4 The region of Bohemia lies in which present-day European country?
czech republic
> 5 "Hakuna Matata" is a song from which 1994 Disney animated film?
The Lion King
> 6 The Dolomites mountains are located in which European country?
Italy
> 7 By what name is the reindeer more commonly known in the USA?
Carabou
> 8 What two-word term is both a children's toy and a fake account created to defend oneself in an online forum?
> 9 Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton co-starred in which 1996 disaster film?
> 10 Which US university is often known by the acronym UCSD?
Berkley?

> cheers,
> calvin

Björn

bbowler

May 5, 2016, 1:58:05 PM5/5/16
On Wed, 04 May 2016 17:18:15 -0700, Calvin wrote:

> 1 In February Janet Yellen became the first woman to hold which post?

US Secretary of the Treasury

> 2 Which language is primarily spoken in the Flanders region of
Belgium?

Flemish

> 3 The clothing manufacturer and retailer Uniqlo is based in which
Asian
> country?
> 4 The region of Bohemia lies in which present-day European country?
> 5 "Hakuna Matata" is a song from which 1994 Disney animated film?

The Lion King

> 6 The Dolomites mountains are located in which European country?

Greece?

> 7 By what name is the reindeer more commonly known in the USA?

caribou, but Rudolf the Red Nosed Caribou just doesn't roll of the tongue

> 8 What two-word term is both a children's toy and a fake account
created
> to defend oneself in an online forum?
> 9 Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton co-starred in which 1996 disaster film?

Twister

> 10 Which US university is often known by the acronym UCSD?

University of California, San Diego

Peter Smyth

May 5, 2016, 2:02:06 PM5/5/16
Calvin wrote:

> 1 In February Janet Yellen became the first woman to hold which post?
Chairman of the Federal Reserve
> 2 Which language is primarily spoken in the Flanders region of
> Belgium?
Flemish
> 3 The clothing manufacturer and retailer Uniqlo is based in which
> Asian country?
Malaysia
> 4 The region of Bohemia lies in which present-day European country?
Austria
> 5 "Hakuna Matata" is a song from which 1994 Disney animated film?
Lion King
> 6 The Dolomites mountains are located in which European country?
Italy
> 7 By what name is the reindeer more commonly known in the USA?
Caribou
> 8 What two-word term is both a children's toy and a fake account
> created to defend oneself in an online forum?
Sock Puppet
> 9 Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton co-starred in which 1996 disaster film?
Twister
> 10 Which US university is often known by the acronym UCSD?
University of California, San Diego

Peter Smyth

Dan Tilque

May 5, 2016, 6:33:36 PM5/5/16
Calvin wrote:
> 1 In February Janet Yellen became the first woman to hold which post?

Chairperson of the Federal Reserve Bank

> 2 Which language is primarily spoken in the Flanders region of Belgium?

Flemish

> 3 The clothing manufacturer and retailer Uniqlo is based in which Asian country?

Singapore ??

> 4 The region of Bohemia lies in which present-day European country?

Czechia

> 5 "Hakuna Matata" is a song from which 1994 Disney animated film?

Lion King

> 6 The Dolomites mountains are located in which European country?

Italy

> 7 By what name is the reindeer more commonly known in the USA?

aaaarrrrgggh!!!1!

> 8 What two-word term is both a children's toy and a fake account created to defend oneself in an online forum?

sock puppet

> 9 Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton co-starred in which 1996 disaster film?

Twister

> 10 Which US university is often known by the acronym UCSD?

University of California at San Diego

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

May 6, 2016, 4:20:37 AM5/6/16
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 In February Janet Yellen became the first woman to hold which post?

Head of Federal Exchange in US

> 2 Which language is primarily spoken in the Flanders region of
> Belgium?

Dutch

> 3 The clothing manufacturer and retailer Uniqlo is based in which
> Asian country?

Bangladesh

> 4 The region of Bohemia lies in which present-day European country?

Czech Republic

> 6 The Dolomites mountains are located in which European country?

Italy

> 9 Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton co-starred in which 1996 disaster film?

Titanic

Marc Dashevsky

May 6, 2016, 2:43:37 PM5/6/16
In article <0702d46d-5240-447c...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 In February Janet Yellen became the first woman to hold which post?
Fed Chair

> 2 Which language is primarily spoken in the Flanders region of Belgium?
Flemish

> 3 The clothing manufacturer and retailer Uniqlo is based in which Asian country?
> 4 The region of Bohemia lies in which present-day European country?
Czech Republic

> 5 "Hakuna Matata" is a song from which 1994 Disney animated film?
Lion King

> 6 The Dolomites mountains are located in which European country?
Italy

> 7 By what name is the reindeer more commonly known in the USA?
caribou

> 8 What two-word term is both a children's toy and a fake account created to defend oneself in an online forum?
> 9 Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton co-starred in which 1996 disaster film?
Twister

> 10 Which US university is often known by the acronym UCSD?
University of California, San Diego

> cheers,
> calvin

ArenEss

May 9, 2016, 1:56:53 PM5/9/16
On Wed, 4 May 2016 17:18:15 -0700 (PDT), Calvin <334...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>1 In February Janet Yellen became the first woman to hold which post?
Federal Reserve Chairperson

>2 Which language is primarily spoken in the Flanders region of Belgium?
Flemish

>3 The clothing manufacturer and retailer Uniqlo is based in which Asian country?
>4 The region of Bohemia lies in which present-day European country?
Austria

>5 "Hakuna Matata" is a song from which 1994 Disney animated film?
The Lion King

>6 The Dolomites mountains are located in which European country?
Italy

>7 By what name is the reindeer more commonly known in the USA?
Caribou

>8 What two-word term is both a children's toy and a fake account created to defend oneself in an online forum?
Sock Puppet?

>9 Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton co-starred in which 1996 disaster film?
Twister

>10 Which US university is often known by the acronym UCSD?
University of California, San Diego

ArenEss

>cheers,
>calvin

Calvin

May 10, 2016, 1:16:02 AM5/10/16
On Thursday, May 5, 2016 at 10:18:15 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 In February Janet Yellen became the first woman to hold which post?

Chair of the US Federal Reserve Bank

> 2 Which language is primarily spoken in the Flanders region of Belgium?

Dutch / Flemish

> 3 The clothing manufacturer and retailer Uniqlo is based in which Asian country?

Japan
No one got this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniqlo

> 4 The region of Bohemia lies in which present-day European country?

Czech Republic

> 5 "Hakuna Matata" is a song from which 1994 Disney animated film?

The Lion King

> 6 The Dolomites mountains are located in which European country?

Italy

> 7 By what name is the reindeer more commonly known in the USA?

Caribou

> 8 What two-word term is both a children's toy and a fake account created to defend oneself in an online forum?

Sock puppet

> 9 Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton co-starred in which 1996 disaster film?

Twister

> 10 Which US university is often known by the acronym UCSD?

University of California, San Diego
As Mark pointed out, it is more properly a campus of UC.

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 438
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 70 Chris Johnson
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 70 Mark Brader
1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 8 62 Dan Tilque
1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 8 63 Peter Smyth
1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 8 63 Aren Ess
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 8 64 Marc Dashevsky
0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 7 55 Pete Gayde
0 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 5 42 Bjorn Lundin
0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 1 1 5 42 Bruce Bowler
0 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 3 25 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
6 9 0 7 9 9 8 6 8 8 70 70%

Congratulations Chris and Mark.

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

May 10, 2016, 3:14:21 AM5/10/16
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
>> 2 Which language is primarily spoken in the Flanders region of
>> Belgium?
>
> Dutch / Flemish

The language is Dutch. Flemish is the dialect. Just like if the question
was what language is spoken in London, the answer would be English, not
Cockney.

Mark Brader

May 10, 2016, 6:36:42 AM5/10/16
Erland Sommarskog:

http://www.britannica.com/topic/Fleming

> Just like if the question was what language is spoken in London, the
> answer would be English, not Cockney.

If the question was what language is spoken in Belgrade, today it would
be Serbian, but in 1980 it would have been Serbo-Croatian.
--
Mark Brader | "You know, you have a very transparent mind --
Toronto | which in no way implies clear thinking!"

Erland Sommarskog

May 10, 2016, 4:09:17 PM5/10/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> If the question was what language is spoken in Belgrade, today it would
> be Serbian, but in 1980 it would have been Serbo-Croatian.

Although, I seem to recall that already in those days, Yugoslavia
recognised four different written standards of Sebro-Croatian. Whereas
the standard for Dutch is controlled by a joint body based in Brussles
and Amsterdam.

(Then again, even today there are two standards for written Serbian, as
the language can be written with both Cyrillic and Latin scripts.)