Google групе више не подржавају нове Usenet постове ни праћења. Претходни садржај остаје видљив.

Rotating Quiz #198: Second Page of the Resume

16 прегледа
Пређи на прву непрочитану поруку

Dan Blum

непрочитано,
30. 9. 2015. 21:50:3230.9.15.
This is Rotating Quiz 198. Entries must be posted by Wednesday, October
7th, 2015 at 11 PM (Eastern Daylight Time).

Usual rules: no looking anything up, no discussion, etc. The winner
gets to create the next RQ.

Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup in the
newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer below each
one. Only one answer is allowed per question.

This quiz has a theme but it is inherent in the questions, not the
answers: each question gives information about a famous person which
is not what they are most famous for (to most people, at least).

In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored on the
hardest questions (defined post-facto as the ones which the fewest
people got right). Second tiebreaker will be posting order.

1. He spent many years working in the courts of Edward III and Richard
II, beginning at a low level but eventually holding offices such as
customs comptroller for London and clerk of the king's works (building
projects).

2. Prior to World War I he taught English in Trieste and Pola (in the
latter city, primarily to Austro-Hungarian naval officers). He also
opened the first dedicated movie theater in Ireland but did not remain
in the business long.

3. During World War II she not only had a romantic relationship with a
German officer, but was an active collaborator, working for General
Schellenberg, the head of SS intelligence. She met with Himmler in
1943. After the war she supported Schellenberg and his family
financially.

4. He was warden and later master of the Royal Mint. He was very
effective at investigating and prosecuting counterfeiters. He also
recommended actions which resulting in Britain adopting a de facto
gold standard.

5. He was a mining engineer and entrepreneur for many years. He and
his wife produced the first English translation of Agricola's De re
metallica; this was the standard English translation for many years
and was used by translators into other languages.

6. She spent twelve years as a teacher before opening a school in New
Jersey. Denied the opportunity to run it she became a clerk at the US
Patent Office. The position was eliminated in the Buchanan
administration but she was able to return as a copyist - briefly -
after Lincoln took office.

7. He served briefly in the old Irish House of Commons, was later
Chief Secretary for Ireland (also briefly), and as prime minister got
the Catholic Relief Bill passed.

8. As a member and later commander of the Varangian Guard he took part
in many military expeditions for the Byzantines, and may have been
awarded a relatively high military office (since a lot of the
information about this is from sagas it is not as relianle as it could
be). This military experience served him in good stead for a while but
ultimately failed him.

9. He was accused of many crimes at various times including
kidnapping, extortion, theft, assault, and rape. Some of these may
have been politically-motived charges stemming from his rivalry with
the Duke of Buckingham. However, he was convicted on several occasions
and spent time in Marshalsea Prison.

10. Unlike <answer 3> she spent World War II working for the Allies,
specifically for the Office of Strategic Services (being too tall for
the WAC or WAVES). She worked for a while in Washington as a research
assistant and was later posted to Sri Lanka and China where she did
communications-related work.

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Chris F.A. Johnson

непрочитано,
1. 10. 2015. 00:10:031.10.15.
On 2015-10-01, Dan Blum wrote:
> This is Rotating Quiz 198. Entries must be posted by Wednesday, October
> 7th, 2015 at 11 PM (Eastern Daylight Time).
>
> Usual rules: no looking anything up, no discussion, etc. The winner
> gets to create the next RQ.
>
> Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup in the
> newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer below each
> one. Only one answer is allowed per question.
>
> This quiz has a theme but it is inherent in the questions, not the
> answers: each question gives information about a famous person which
> is not what they are most famous for (to most people, at least).
>
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored on the
> hardest questions (defined post-facto as the ones which the fewest
> people got right). Second tiebreaker will be posting order.
>
> 1. He spent many years working in the courts of Edward III and Richard
> II, beginning at a low level but eventually holding offices such as
> customs comptroller for London and clerk of the king's works (building
> projects).

Chaucer

> 2. Prior to World War I he taught English in Trieste and Pola (in the
> latter city, primarily to Austro-Hungarian naval officers). He also
> opened the first dedicated movie theater in Ireland but did not remain
> in the business long.

James Joyce

> 3. During World War II she not only had a romantic relationship with a
> German officer, but was an active collaborator, working for General
> Schellenberg, the head of SS intelligence. She met with Himmler in
> 1943. After the war she supported Schellenberg and his family
> financially.
>
> 4. He was warden and later master of the Royal Mint. He was very
> effective at investigating and prosecuting counterfeiters. He also
> recommended actions which resulting in Britain adopting a de facto
> gold standard.

Isaac Newton

> 5. He was a mining engineer and entrepreneur for many years. He and
> his wife produced the first English translation of Agricola's De re
> metallica; this was the standard English translation for many years
> and was used by translators into other languages.
>
> 6. She spent twelve years as a teacher before opening a school in New
> Jersey. Denied the opportunity to run it she became a clerk at the US
> Patent Office. The position was eliminated in the Buchanan
> administration but she was able to return as a copyist - briefly -
> after Lincoln took office.
>
> 7. He served briefly in the old Irish House of Commons, was later
> Chief Secretary for Ireland (also briefly), and as prime minister got
> the Catholic Relief Bill passed.

Duke of Wellington

> 8. As a member and later commander of the Varangian Guard he took part
> in many military expeditions for the Byzantines, and may have been
> awarded a relatively high military office (since a lot of the
> information about this is from sagas it is not as relianle as it could
> be). This military experience served him in good stead for a while but
> ultimately failed him.
>
> 9. He was accused of many crimes at various times including
> kidnapping, extortion, theft, assault, and rape. Some of these may
> have been politically-motived charges stemming from his rivalry with
> the Duke of Buckingham. However, he was convicted on several occasions
> and spent time in Marshalsea Prison.

Wolsey

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Marc Dashevsky

непрочитано,
1. 10. 2015. 10:56:211.10.15.
I've got nothing.

In article <mui3h7$mkr$1...@reader1.panix.com>, to...@panix.com says...

Gareth Owen

непрочитано,
1. 10. 2015. 15:18:181.10.15.
to...@panix.com (Dan Blum) writes:

> 1. He spent many years working in the courts of Edward III and Richard
> II, beginning at a low level but eventually holding offices such as
> customs comptroller for London and clerk of the king's works (building
> projects).

Geoffrey Chaucer

> 2. Prior to World War I he taught English in Trieste and Pola (in the
> latter city, primarily to Austro-Hungarian naval officers). He also
> opened the first dedicated movie theater in Ireland but did not remain
> in the business long.

Ernest Hemingway?

> 3. During World War II she not only had a romantic relationship with a
> German officer, but was an active collaborator, working for General
> Schellenberg, the head of SS intelligence. She met with Himmler in
> 1943. After the war she supported Schellenberg and his family
> financially.

Marlene Dietrich?

> 4. He was warden and later master of the Royal Mint. He was very
> effective at investigating and prosecuting counterfeiters. He also
> recommended actions which resulting in Britain adopting a de facto
> gold standard.

Isaac Newton

> 5. He was a mining engineer and entrepreneur for many years. He and
> his wife produced the first English translation of Agricola's De re
> metallica; this was the standard English translation for many years
> and was used by translators into other languages.

I.K. Brunel???

> 6. She spent twelve years as a teacher before opening a school in New
> Jersey. Denied the opportunity to run it she became a clerk at the US
> Patent Office. The position was eliminated in the Buchanan
> administration but she was able to return as a copyist - briefly -
> after Lincoln took office.

Harriet Tubman?

> 7. He served briefly in the old Irish House of Commons, was later
> Chief Secretary for Ireland (also briefly), and as prime minister got
> the Catholic Relief Bill passed.

Oliver Cromwell?

> 8. As a member and later commander of the Varangian Guard he took part
> in many military expeditions for the Byzantines, and may have been
> awarded a relatively high military office (since a lot of the
> information about this is from sagas it is not as relianle as it could
> be). This military experience served him in good stead for a while but
> ultimately failed him.

Alexander the Great?

> 9. He was accused of many crimes at various times including
> kidnapping, extortion, theft, assault, and rape. Some of these may
> have been politically-motived charges stemming from his rivalry with
> the Duke of Buckingham. However, he was convicted on several occasions
> and spent time in Marshalsea Prison.

Francis Drake?

> 10. Unlike <answer 3> she spent World War II working for the Allies,
> specifically for the Office of Strategic Services (being too tall for
> the WAC or WAVES). She worked for a while in Washington as a research
> assistant and was later posted to Sri Lanka and China where she did
> communications-related work.

Hedy Lamarr?

Really liked this theme, Dan. Nicely done. I've some seriously wild
guesses in there though.

Mark Brader

непрочитано,
1. 10. 2015. 19:03:341.10.15.
Oof, this looks tough. Most of these will be guesses.

Dan Blum:
> 1. He spent many years working in the courts of Edward III and Richard
> II, beginning at a low level but eventually holding offices such as
> customs comptroller for London and clerk of the king's works (building
> projects).

Bacon.

> 2. Prior to World War I he taught English in Trieste and Pola (in the
> latter city, primarily to Austro-Hungarian naval officers). He also
> opened the first dedicated movie theater in Ireland but did not remain
> in the business long.

Joseph Conrad.

> 4. He was warden and later master of the Royal Mint. He was very
> effective at investigating and prosecuting counterfeiters. He also
> recommended actions which resulting in Britain adopting a de facto
> gold standard.

Sir Isaac Newton.

> 5. He was a mining engineer and entrepreneur for many years. He and
> his wife produced the first English translation of Agricola's De re
> metallica; this was the standard English translation for many years
> and was used by translators into other languages.

James Watt.

> 6. She spent twelve years as a teacher before opening a school in New
> Jersey. Denied the opportunity to run it she became a clerk at the US
> Patent Office. The position was eliminated in the Buchanan
> administration but she was able to return as a copyist - briefly -
> after Lincoln took office.

Montessori.

> 7. He served briefly in the old Irish House of Commons, was later
> Chief Secretary for Ireland (also briefly), and as prime minister got
> the Catholic Relief Bill passed.

Gladstone.

> 8. As a member and later commander of the Varangian Guard he took part
> in many military expeditions for the Byzantines, and may have been
> awarded a relatively high military office (since a lot of the
> information about this is from sagas it is not as relianle as it could
> be). This military experience served him in good stead for a while but
> ultimately failed him.

Saladin. (I don't think he was even Byzantine, but so it goes.)

> 9. He was accused of many crimes at various times including
> kidnapping, extortion, theft, assault, and rape. Some of these may
> have been politically-motived charges stemming from his rivalry with
> the Duke of Buckingham. However, he was convicted on several occasions
> and spent time in Marshalsea Prison.

Sir Walter Raleigh.

> 10. Unlike <answer 3> she spent World War II working for the Allies,
> specifically for the Office of Strategic Services (being too tall for
> the WAC or WAVES). She worked for a while in Washington as a research
> assistant and was later posted to Sri Lanka and China where she did
> communications-related work.

Hedy Lamarr (Kiesler).
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "C takes the point of view that the programmer
m...@vex.net | is always right" -- Michael DeCorte

swp

непрочитано,
1. 10. 2015. 22:36:071.10.15.
On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 9:50:32 PM UTC-4, Dan Blum wrote:
> This is Rotating Quiz 198. Entries must be posted by Wednesday, October
> 7th, 2015 at 11 PM (Eastern Daylight Time).

noted

> This quiz has a theme but it is inherent in the questions, not the
> answers: each question gives information about a famous person which
> is not what they are most famous for (to most people, at least).

uh oh

> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored on the
> hardest questions (defined post-facto as the ones which the fewest
> people got right). Second tiebreaker will be posting order.

I predict a lot of ties. at 1.

> 1. He spent many years working in the courts of Edward III and Richard
> II, beginning at a low level but eventually holding offices such as
> customs comptroller for London and clerk of the king's works (building
> projects).

chaucer

> 2. Prior to World War I he taught English in Trieste and Pola (in the
> latter city, primarily to Austro-Hungarian naval officers). He also
> opened the first dedicated movie theater in Ireland but did not remain
> in the business long.

james joyce

> 3. During World War II she not only had a romantic relationship with a
> German officer, but was an active collaborator, working for General
> Schellenberg, the head of SS intelligence. She met with Himmler in
> 1943. After the war she supported Schellenberg and his family
> financially.

coco chanel (it gave 'little black dress' a whole new meaning to me when I found out)

> 4. He was warden and later master of the Royal Mint. He was very
> effective at investigating and prosecuting counterfeiters. He also
> recommended actions which resulting in Britain adopting a de facto
> gold standard.

Sir Isaac Newton

> 5. He was a mining engineer and entrepreneur for many years. He and
> his wife produced the first English translation of Agricola's De re
> metallica; this was the standard English translation for many years
> and was used by translators into other languages.

James Hetfield :-)

> 6. She spent twelve years as a teacher before opening a school in New
> Jersey. Denied the opportunity to run it she became a clerk at the US
> Patent Office. The position was eliminated in the Buchanan
> administration but she was able to return as a copyist - briefly -
> after Lincoln took office.

clara barton?

> 7. He served briefly in the old Irish House of Commons, was later
> Chief Secretary for Ireland (also briefly), and as prime minister got
> the Catholic Relief Bill passed.

graham norton

> 8. As a member and later commander of the Varangian Guard he took part
> in many military expeditions for the Byzantines, and may have been
> awarded a relatively high military office (since a lot of the
> information about this is from sagas it is not as reliable as it could
> be). This military experience served him in good stead for a while but
> ultimately failed him.

some norwegian dude

> 9. He was accused of many crimes at various times including
> kidnapping, extortion, theft, assault, and rape. Some of these may
> have been politically-motivated charges stemming from his rivalry with
> the Duke of Buckingham. However, he was convicted on several occasions
> and spent time in Marshalsea Prison.

charles dickens

> 10. Unlike <answer 3> she spent World War II working for the Allies,
> specifically for the Office of Strategic Services (being too tall for
> the WAC or WAVES). She worked for a while in Washington as a research
> assistant and was later posted to Sri Lanka and China where she did
> communications-related work.

julia child (I learned this at the same time I read about roald dahl's and ian fleming's individual contributions to the war effort. fascinating stuff.)

ok, I probably got a few correct.

#8 was a king of norway, I'm sure of it. hardass or something like that.

my answer to #7 is a joke, of course, because I initially misread the last bit as 'comic relief' for some reason. I like his show. usually.

if #5 is Lars Ulrich I won't be surprised. good question including Metallica! what? not that metallica? uh oh.

__
/ \
| |
_ | |
/' | | _ |
| | | |
| _ | | |
| | | |
| | __ | _ |
| _ | __ / \ | |
| | / \ | || |
| || || |. __ | ./ |
| _. | -- || -- | `| / //
|' | || | | /` (/
| |.--.||.--.| __ |/ .|
| __| || |-' /
|-' \__/ \__/ .|
| _.-' /
| _.-' / |
| / /
| | /
` | /
\ | /'
| ` /
\ .'
| |
| |
| |
| |

swp

Calvin

непрочитано,
1. 10. 2015. 23:50:031.10.15.
On Thursday, October 1, 2015 at 11:50:32 AM UTC+10, Dan Blum wrote:

> 1. He spent many years working in the courts of Edward III and Richard
> II, beginning at a low level but eventually holding offices such as
> customs comptroller for London and clerk of the king's works (building
> projects).

Whitington?

> 2. Prior to World War I he taught English in Trieste and Pola (in the
> latter city, primarily to Austro-Hungarian naval officers). He also
> opened the first dedicated movie theater in Ireland but did not remain
> in the business long.
>
> 3. During World War II she not only had a romantic relationship with a
> German officer, but was an active collaborator, working for General
> Schellenberg, the head of SS intelligence. She met with Himmler in
> 1943. After the war she supported Schellenberg and his family
> financially.

Reifenstahl?

> 4. He was warden and later master of the Royal Mint. He was very
> effective at investigating and prosecuting counterfeiters. He also
> recommended actions which resulting in Britain adopting a de facto
> gold standard.

Newton

> 5. He was a mining engineer and entrepreneur for many years. He and
> his wife produced the first English translation of Agricola's De re
> metallica; this was the standard English translation for many years
> and was used by translators into other languages.

Rhodes?

> 6. She spent twelve years as a teacher before opening a school in New
> Jersey. Denied the opportunity to run it she became a clerk at the US
> Patent Office. The position was eliminated in the Buchanan
> administration but she was able to return as a copyist - briefly -
> after Lincoln took office.

Piaget?

> 7. He served briefly in the old Irish House of Commons, was later
> Chief Secretary for Ireland (also briefly), and as prime minister got
> the Catholic Relief Bill passed.

Peel

> 8. As a member and later commander of the Varangian Guard he took part
> in many military expeditions for the Byzantines, and may have been
> awarded a relatively high military office (since a lot of the
> information about this is from sagas it is not as reliable as it could
> be). This military experience served him in good stead for a while but
> ultimately failed him.
>
> 9. He was accused of many crimes at various times including
> kidnapping, extortion, theft, assault, and rape. Some of these may
> have been politically-motived charges stemming from his rivalry with
> the Duke of Buckingham. However, he was convicted on several occasions
> and spent time in Marshalsea Prison.

Lord Palmerston?

> 10. Unlike <answer 3> she spent World War II working for the Allies,
> specifically for the Office of Strategic Services (being too tall for
> the WAC or WAVES). She worked for a while in Washington as a research
> assistant and was later posted to Sri Lanka and China where she did
> communications-related work.

Lynn?

Nice quiz, but dates of birth for the individuals concerned would have been useful :-)

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

непрочитано,
5. 10. 2015. 03:49:295.10.15.
Dan Blum wrote:

> 1. He spent many years working in the courts of Edward III and Richard
> II, beginning at a low level but eventually holding offices such as
> customs comptroller for London and clerk of the king's works (building
> projects).

Chaucer

> 2. Prior to World War I he taught English in Trieste and Pola (in the
> latter city, primarily to Austro-Hungarian naval officers). He also
> opened the first dedicated movie theater in Ireland but did not remain
> in the business long.

Tolkein ??

> 3. During World War II she not only had a romantic relationship with a
> German officer, but was an active collaborator, working for General
> Schellenberg, the head of SS intelligence. She met with Himmler in
> 1943. After the war she supported Schellenberg and his family
> financially.
>
> 4. He was warden and later master of the Royal Mint. He was very
> effective at investigating and prosecuting counterfeiters. He also
> recommended actions which resulting in Britain adopting a de facto
> gold standard.

Isaac Newton

> 5. He was a mining engineer and entrepreneur for many years. He and
> his wife produced the first English translation of Agricola's De re
> metallica; this was the standard English translation for many years
> and was used by translators into other languages.

James Watt

> 6. She spent twelve years as a teacher before opening a school in New
> Jersey. Denied the opportunity to run it she became a clerk at the US
> Patent Office. The position was eliminated in the Buchanan
> administration but she was able to return as a copyist - briefly -
> after Lincoln took office.

Harriet Beecher Stowe

> 7. He served briefly in the old Irish House of Commons, was later
> Chief Secretary for Ireland (also briefly), and as prime minister got
> the Catholic Relief Bill passed.

Churchill ??

> 8. As a member and later commander of the Varangian Guard he took part
> in many military expeditions for the Byzantines, and may have been
> awarded a relatively high military office (since a lot of the
> information about this is from sagas it is not as relianle as it could
> be). This military experience served him in good stead for a while but
> ultimately failed him.

Belisarius

> 9. He was accused of many crimes at various times including
> kidnapping, extortion, theft, assault, and rape. Some of these may
> have been politically-motived charges stemming from his rivalry with
> the Duke of Buckingham. However, he was convicted on several occasions
> and spent time in Marshalsea Prison.

Sir Walter Raleigh

> 10. Unlike <answer 3> she spent World War II working for the Allies,
> specifically for the Office of Strategic Services (being too tall for
> the WAC or WAVES). She worked for a while in Washington as a research
> assistant and was later posted to Sri Lanka and China where she did
> communications-related work.

Diana Prince

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Blum

непрочитано,
7. 10. 2015. 23:14:117.10.15.
Rotating Quiz #198 is over and Stephen Perry is the winner.

Possibly I should have given more hints.

> 1. He spent many years working in the courts of Edward III and Richard
> II, beginning at a low level but eventually holding offices such as
> customs comptroller for London and clerk of the king's works (building
> projects).

Geoffrey Chaucer

> 2. Prior to World War I he taught English in Trieste and Pola (in the
> latter city, primarily to Austro-Hungarian naval officers). He also
> opened the first dedicated movie theater in Ireland but did not remain
> in the business long.

James Joyce

> 3. During World War II she not only had a romantic relationship with a
> German officer, but was an active collaborator, working for General
> Schellenberg, the head of SS intelligence. She met with Himmler in
> 1943. After the war she supported Schellenberg and his family
> financially.

Coco Chanel

> 4. He was warden and later master of the Royal Mint. He was very
> effective at investigating and prosecuting counterfeiters. He also
> recommended actions which resulting in Britain adopting a de facto
> gold standard.

Isaac Newton

> 5. He was a mining engineer and entrepreneur for many years. He and
> his wife produced the first English translation of Agricola's De re
> metallica; this was the standard English translation for many years
> and was used by translators into other languages.

Herbert Hoover

It was probably unfair not to mention any of his other work prior
to becoming president.

> 6. She spent twelve years as a teacher before opening a school in New
> Jersey. Denied the opportunity to run it she became a clerk at the US
> Patent Office. The position was eliminated in the Buchanan
> administration but she was able to return as a copyist - briefly -
> after Lincoln took office.

Clara Barton

> 7. He served briefly in the old Irish House of Commons, was later
> Chief Secretary for Ireland (also briefly), and as prime minister got
> the Catholic Relief Bill passed.

Arthur Wellesley, the Duke of Wellington

He was born in Ireland, too, but mentioning that probably wouldn't have
helped.

> 8. As a member and later commander of the Varangian Guard he took part
> in many military expeditions for the Byzantines, and may have been
> awarded a relatively high military office (since a lot of the
> information about this is from sagas it is not as relianle as it could
> be). This military experience served him in good stead for a while but
> ultimately failed him.

Harald Hardrada

The Varangian Guard was a Byzantine unit but was composed of
Scandinavians and Anglo-Saxons. The mention of sagas was also supposed
to be a hint, as was the military failure. Still too obscure I guess.

> 9. He was accused of many crimes at various times including
> kidnapping, extortion, theft, assault, and rape. Some of these may
> have been politically-motived charges stemming from his rivalry with
> the Duke of Buckingham. However, he was convicted on several occasions
> and spent time in Marshalsea Prison.

Sir Thomas Malory

I did check Sir Walter Raleigh. He was convicted and spent time in
prison, but the conviction was for treason and he was imprisoned in
the Tower. (He and Malory did both write in prison.)

> 10. Unlike <answer 3> she spent World War II working for the Allies,
> specifically for the Office of Strategic Services (being too tall for
> the WAC or WAVES). She worked for a while in Washington as a research
> assistant and was later posted to Sri Lanka and China where she did
> communications-related work.

Julia Child

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Total
----------------------------------
Stephen 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 6
Chris 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 4
Gareth 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 2
Dan 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 2
Mark 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
Calvin 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
Marc 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

swp

непрочитано,
8. 10. 2015. 19:26:138.10.15.
I'll post the next quiz tomorrow. hopefully.

swp

swp

непрочитано,
11. 10. 2015. 09:59:0611.10.15.
There has been an unavoidable delay. Watch this space for more news as it becomes available.
0 нових порука