QFTCIBSI Game 007, Rounds 4,6: Bond locations, real spies

Mark Brader

Apr 2, 2016, 1:25:43 AM4/2/16
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-11-09,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 007, Round 4 - Geography - James Bond Locations

1. In "Moonraker", Bond engages in a boat chase with the assassin
Jaws that ends with Jaws going over Iguassu Falls. This massive
cataract with the 6th-highest annual water flow of any waterfall
is second only in length and size to Victoria Falls, and is
located on the border of *which two South American countries*?

2. After hang-gliding over Iguassu Falls, Bond follows a beautiful
woman through the jungle to a secret pyramid. Although in the
movie the falls and the pyramid are only a few minutes away
from each other, in the real world the pyramid is a part of the
ancient Mayan city of Tikal -- which can be found today in what
Central American country?

3. In "From Russia With Love", Bond meets with his contact Kerim
Bey inside of a large Byzantine structure in Istanbul that has
been at one time or another a Greek Orthodox cathedral, a Roman
Catholic cathedral, and an imperial mosque. It was the largest
cathedral in the world for over 1,000 years, but it's now the
second-most-visited museum in Turkey. What is its name?

4. In "The Man With the Golden Gun", James Bond visits MI6's Hong
Kong headquarters, located in a a half-sunken shipwreck in
Hong Kong harbor. The ship in question was commissioned for
the Cunard line and launched in 1939 when it was the largest
passenger liner in the world -- a record it would hold at least
until it caught fire and sank in 1973. Name the ship.

5. In "Goldfinger", Goldfinger's evil scheme is to irradiate the
US gold bullion supply, thus increasing the value of his
own gold. This requires a daring raid on the US Gold Bullion
Depository located on an army base in *what US state*?

6. The opening sequence in "The World is Not Enough" takes place
in Bilbao, Spain -- mostly because the filmmakers wanted to
get a shot of James Bond walking by the Frank-Gehry-designed
Bilbao branch of *what museum*?

7. Ian Fleming wrote all of the James Bond books at his home,
which he named Goldeneye. On *what Caribbean island*, location
of the very first James Bond movie, "Dr. No", is Goldeneye
located?

8. In "Diamonds are Forever", assassins Wint and Kidd take snapshots
as the body of their latest victim Mrs. Whistler is pulled from
a river. Says Mr. Kidd, "Mrs. Whistler did want some pictures of
the canals for the children". Responds Mr. Wint, "the children
will be thrilled". In *which European city* is this scene?

9. This city is currently the only European capital city that sits
on a border with two different sovereign nations. (For clarity:
the city is the capital of its own country *and* it borders
with *two other* countries.) No wonder James Bond used it
as a staging point to help Soviet defector Koskov escape
Czechoslovakia in 1987's "The Living Daylights". Name this
capital city.

10. In "License to Kill", M confronts Bond in the Florida home
of a famous author; Bond resigns from the Secret Service
and M demands that he hand over his gun. Quips James Bond,
"I guess this is a farewell to arms". What *city* are they in?

* Game 007, Round 5 - Audio

No, you're not getting the audio round this week, but I can't
resist posting the preamble to it:

The new Bond movie is called "Spectre". The movie is named after
that villainous murderous criminal organization, SPECTRE. Here are
10 songs that were produced by that villainous murderous criminal,
Phil Spector.

(Cf. Game 10, Round 10, of the previous season, question #E2.)

* Game 007, Round 6 - History - Real-Life Spies

1. American intelligence analyst Jonathan Jay Pollard was sentenced
to life imprisonment for stealing thousands of documents from the
US Navy in the mid-1980s. What country was Pollard spying for?

2. This sublieutenant in Royal Canadian Navy intelligence
started selling secret information to the Russian GRU in 2007,
and wasn't caught until 2011. In 2013, he was sentenced to
20 years imprisonment. Name the man.

3. Although not a spy himself, this physicist was the guiding force
behind a network which disseminated Pakistani nuclear secrets
to nations such as Iran, North Korea, and Libya. Name the man.

4. Rudolf Abel was a KGB agent who was captured by the FBI.
Abel was exchanged for an American, on a Berlin bridge in 1962.
Name that American, portrayed in a recent movie adaptation by
Austin Stowell.

There was no question 5 in the round as prepared for the original
game, and while the Irregulars did come up with an emergency
substitute question after the game started, I'll present the round
here without that addition.

6. In one of the biggest spy scandals in the UK, War Secretary
John Profumo resigned in disgrace after it was discovered that
the showgirl he was seeing was also seeing GRU agent Yevgeni
Ivanov. Name the showgirl who brought down Profumo.

7. Bulgarian dissident Georgi Markov was assassinated on a London
street in 1978. The cause of death was a micro-engineered pellet
containing ricin, but what was the unusual delivery mechanism?

8. In another assassination, fugitive Russian FSB agent Alexander
Litvinenko was killed by KGB agents who served him poisoned tea.
With what radioactive element was it poisoned?

9. At 6'2", this American woman was too tall to serve in the regular
forces so she joined the OSS during World War II and served in
Ceylon (Sri Lanka) and later in China. Her first TV show had its
debut on PBS and ran for ten years. Name this OSS agent, better
known to us from books and TV, and depicted in a 2009 movie.

10. This British agent served in Germany and Russia during World
War I. During the Russian Revolution, he was responsible for
an attempted coup against the Bolsheviks, for which he was
executed by the OGPU in 1925. He was the inspiration for James
Bond and for a 1983 miniseries starring Sam Neill. Name this
"ace of spies".
--
Mark Brader "I like to think of [this] as self-explanatory."
Toronto "I hope *I* think of [it] that way."

Joshua Kreitzer

Apr 2, 2016, 1:33:24 AM4/2/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:bfOdnZVlzr5LymLLnZ2dnUU7-
N_N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 007, Round 4 - Geography - James Bond Locations
>
> 1. In "Moonraker", Bond engages in a boat chase with the assassin
> Jaws that ends with Jaws going over Iguassu Falls. This massive
> cataract with the 6th-highest annual water flow of any waterfall
> is second only in length and size to Victoria Falls, and is
> located on the border of *which two South American countries*?

Brazil & Paraguay; Brazil & Venezuela

> 2. After hang-gliding over Iguassu Falls, Bond follows a beautiful
> woman through the jungle to a secret pyramid. Although in the
> movie the falls and the pyramid are only a few minutes away
> from each other, in the real world the pyramid is a part of the
> ancient Mayan city of Tikal -- which can be found today in what
> Central American country?

Guatemala

> 3. In "From Russia With Love", Bond meets with his contact Kerim
> Bey inside of a large Byzantine structure in Istanbul that has
> been at one time or another a Greek Orthodox cathedral, a Roman
> Catholic cathedral, and an imperial mosque. It was the largest
> cathedral in the world for over 1,000 years, but it's now the
> second-most-visited museum in Turkey. What is its name?

Hagia Sophia

> 5. In "Goldfinger", Goldfinger's evil scheme is to irradiate the
> US gold bullion supply, thus increasing the value of his
> own gold. This requires a daring raid on the US Gold Bullion
> Depository located on an army base in *what US state*?

Kentucky

> 6. The opening sequence in "The World is Not Enough" takes place
> in Bilbao, Spain -- mostly because the filmmakers wanted to
> get a shot of James Bond walking by the Frank-Gehry-designed
> Bilbao branch of *what museum*?

Guggenheim Museum

> 7. Ian Fleming wrote all of the James Bond books at his home,
> which he named Goldeneye. On *what Caribbean island*, location
> of the very first James Bond movie, "Dr. No", is Goldeneye
> located?

Jamaica

> 8. In "Diamonds are Forever", assassins Wint and Kidd take snapshots
> as the body of their latest victim Mrs. Whistler is pulled from
> a river. Says Mr. Kidd, "Mrs. Whistler did want some pictures of
> the canals for the children". Responds Mr. Wint, "the children
> will be thrilled". In *which European city* is this scene?

Venice; Amsterdam

> 9. This city is currently the only European capital city that sits
> on a border with two different sovereign nations. (For clarity:
> the city is the capital of its own country *and* it borders
> with *two other* countries.) No wonder James Bond used it
> as a staging point to help Soviet defector Koskov escape
> Czechoslovakia in 1987's "The Living Daylights". Name this
> capital city.

Bratislava

> 10. In "License to Kill", M confronts Bond in the Florida home
> of a famous author; Bond resigns from the Secret Service
> and M demands that he hand over his gun. Quips James Bond,
> "I guess this is a farewell to arms". What *city* are they in?

Key West

> * Game 007, Round 6 - History - Real-Life Spies
>
> 1. American intelligence analyst Jonathan Jay Pollard was sentenced
> to life imprisonment for stealing thousands of documents from the
> US Navy in the mid-1980s. What country was Pollard spying for?

Israel

> 4. Rudolf Abel was a KGB agent who was captured by the FBI.
> Abel was exchanged for an American, on a Berlin bridge in 1962.
> Name that American, portrayed in a recent movie adaptation by
> Austin Stowell.

Powers

> 6. In one of the biggest spy scandals in the UK, War Secretary
> John Profumo resigned in disgrace after it was discovered that
> the showgirl he was seeing was also seeing GRU agent Yevgeni
> Ivanov. Name the showgirl who brought down Profumo.

Christine Keeler; Mandy Rice-Davies

> 7. Bulgarian dissident Georgi Markov was assassinated on a London
> street in 1978. The cause of death was a micro-engineered pellet
> containing ricin, but what was the unusual delivery mechanism?

umbrella

> 8. In another assassination, fugitive Russian FSB agent Alexander
> Litvinenko was killed by KGB agents who served him poisoned tea.
> With what radioactive element was it poisoned?

polonium

> 9. At 6'2", this American woman was too tall to serve in the regular
> forces so she joined the OSS during World War II and served in
> Ceylon (Sri Lanka) and later in China. Her first TV show had its
> debut on PBS and ran for ten years. Name this OSS agent, better
> known to us from books and TV, and depicted in a 2009 movie.

Julia Child

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 2, 2016, 4:55:59 AM4/2/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 007, Round 4 - Geography - James Bond Locations
>
> 1. In "Moonraker", Bond engages in a boat chase with the assassin
> Jaws that ends with Jaws going over Iguassu Falls. This massive
> cataract with the 6th-highest annual water flow of any waterfall
> is second only in length and size to Victoria Falls, and is
> located on the border of *which two South American countries*?

Argentina and Brazil

> 2. After hang-gliding over Iguassu Falls, Bond follows a beautiful
> woman through the jungle to a secret pyramid. Although in the
> movie the falls and the pyramid are only a few minutes away
> from each other, in the real world the pyramid is a part of the
> ancient Mayan city of Tikal -- which can be found today in what
> Central American country?

Guatemala

Yeah, there are not many pyramides around down there. And not much jungle
either. Well, just around the falls where there are national parks on both
sides, the vegetation is quite dense. But for the rest, at least on the
Argentinian side, the forest consists of fast-growing trees being planted
in strict regiment and the soil in between is kept from other vegetation
that could compete.

> 3. In "From Russia With Love", Bond meets with his contact Kerim
> Bey inside of a large Byzantine structure in Istanbul that has
> been at one time or another a Greek Orthodox cathedral, a Roman
> Catholic cathedral, and an imperial mosque. It was the largest
> cathedral in the world for over 1,000 years, but it's now the
> second-most-visited museum in Turkey. What is its name?

Haga Sofia

> 5. In "Goldfinger", Goldfinger's evil scheme is to irradiate the
> US gold bullion supply, thus increasing the value of his
> own gold. This requires a daring raid on the US Gold Bullion
> Depository located on an army base in *what US state*?

Kentucky

> 6. The opening sequence in "The World is Not Enough" takes place
> in Bilbao, Spain -- mostly because the filmmakers wanted to
> get a shot of James Bond walking by the Frank-Gehry-designed
> Bilbao branch of *what museum*?

Guggenheim

> 7. Ian Fleming wrote all of the James Bond books at his home,
> which he named Goldeneye. On *what Caribbean island*, location
> of the very first James Bond movie, "Dr. No", is Goldeneye
> located?

Bahamas

> 8. In "Diamonds are Forever", assassins Wint and Kidd take snapshots
> as the body of their latest victim Mrs. Whistler is pulled from
> a river. Says Mr. Kidd, "Mrs. Whistler did want some pictures of
> the canals for the children". Responds Mr. Wint, "the children
> will be thrilled". In *which European city* is this scene?

Venice

> 9. This city is currently the only European capital city that sits
> on a border with two different sovereign nations. (For clarity:
> the city is the capital of its own country *and* it borders
> with *two other* countries.) No wonder James Bond used it
> as a staging point to help Soviet defector Koskov escape
> Czechoslovakia in 1987's "The Living Daylights". Name this
> capital city.

Bratislava

> 10. In "License to Kill", M confronts Bond in the Florida home
> of a famous author; Bond resigns from the Secret Service
> and M demands that he hand over his gun. Quips James Bond,
> "I guess this is a farewell to arms". What *city* are they in?

Miami

> The new Bond movie is called "Spectre". The movie is named after
> that villainous murderous criminal organization, SPECTRE. Here are
> 10 songs that were produced by that villainous murderous criminal,
> Phil Spector.

!!!! That was a good one!

> * Game 007, Round 6 - History - Real-Life Spies
>
> 1. American intelligence analyst Jonathan Jay Pollard was sentenced
> to life imprisonment for stealing thousands of documents from the
> US Navy in the mid-1980s. What country was Pollard spying for?

USSR

> 7. Bulgarian dissident Georgi Markov was assassinated on a London
> street in 1978. The cause of death was a micro-engineered pellet
> containing ricin, but what was the unusual delivery mechanism?

Umbrella

> 8. In another assassination, fugitive Russian FSB agent Alexander
> Litvinenko was killed by KGB agents who served him poisoned tea.
> With what radioactive element was it poisoned?

Polonium

Dan Tilque

Apr 2, 2016, 5:13:02 AM4/2/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 007, Round 4 - Geography - James Bond Locations
>
> 1. In "Moonraker", Bond engages in a boat chase with the assassin
> Jaws that ends with Jaws going over Iguassu Falls. This massive
> cataract with the 6th-highest annual water flow of any waterfall
> is second only in length and size to Victoria Falls, and is
> located on the border of *which two South American countries*?

Argentina and Brazil

> 2. After hang-gliding over Iguassu Falls, Bond follows a beautiful
> woman through the jungle to a secret pyramid. Although in the
> movie the falls and the pyramid are only a few minutes away
> from each other, in the real world the pyramid is a part of the
> ancient Mayan city of Tikal -- which can be found today in what
> Central American country?

Guatemala

> 3. In "From Russia With Love", Bond meets with his contact Kerim
> Bey inside of a large Byzantine structure in Istanbul that has
> been at one time or another a Greek Orthodox cathedral, a Roman
> Catholic cathedral, and an imperial mosque. It was the largest
> cathedral in the world for over 1,000 years, but it's now the
> second-most-visited museum in Turkey. What is its name?

Hagia Sophia

> 4. In "The Man With the Golden Gun", James Bond visits MI6's Hong
> Kong headquarters, located in a a half-sunken shipwreck in
> Hong Kong harbor. The ship in question was commissioned for
> the Cunard line and launched in 1939 when it was the largest
> passenger liner in the world -- a record it would hold at least
> until it caught fire and sank in 1973. Name the ship.

Queen Elizabeth

> 5. In "Goldfinger", Goldfinger's evil scheme is to irradiate the
> US gold bullion supply, thus increasing the value of his
> own gold. This requires a daring raid on the US Gold Bullion
> Depository located on an army base in *what US state*?

Kentucky

> 6. The opening sequence in "The World is Not Enough" takes place
> in Bilbao, Spain -- mostly because the filmmakers wanted to
> get a shot of James Bond walking by the Frank-Gehry-designed
> Bilbao branch of *what museum*?

Guggenheim

> 7. Ian Fleming wrote all of the James Bond books at his home,
> which he named Goldeneye. On *what Caribbean island*, location
> of the very first James Bond movie, "Dr. No", is Goldeneye
> located?

Jamaica

> 8. In "Diamonds are Forever", assassins Wint and Kidd take snapshots
> as the body of their latest victim Mrs. Whistler is pulled from
> a river. Says Mr. Kidd, "Mrs. Whistler did want some pictures of
> the canals for the children". Responds Mr. Wint, "the children
> will be thrilled". In *which European city* is this scene?

Venice

> 9. This city is currently the only European capital city that sits
> on a border with two different sovereign nations. (For clarity:
> the city is the capital of its own country *and* it borders
> with *two other* countries.) No wonder James Bond used it
> as a staging point to help Soviet defector Koskov escape
> Czechoslovakia in 1987's "The Living Daylights". Name this
> capital city.

Bratislava

--
Dan Tilque

Björn Lundin

Apr 2, 2016, 5:24:22 AM4/2/16
On 2016-04-02 07:25, Mark Brader wrote:
>> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-11-09,
>> and should be interpreted accordingly.
>>
>> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give
>> both a right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty.
>> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
>> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote
>> the questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal
>> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>>
>> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
>> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
>> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
>> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
>> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 007, Round 4 - Geography - James Bond Locations
>
> 1. In "Moonraker", Bond engages in a boat chase with the assassin
> Jaws that ends with Jaws going over Iguassu Falls. This massive
> cataract with the 6th-highest annual water flow of any waterfall
> is second only in length and size to Victoria Falls, and is
> located on the border of *which two South American countries*?

Brazil and Argentina

> 2. After hang-gliding over Iguassu Falls, Bond follows a beautiful
> woman through the jungle to a secret pyramid. Although in the
> movie the falls and the pyramid are only a few minutes away
> from each other, in the real world the pyramid is a part of the
> ancient Mayan city of Tikal -- which can be found today in what
> Central American country?

Mexico; Honduras

> 3. In "From Russia With Love", Bond meets with his contact Kerim
> Bey inside of a large Byzantine structure in Istanbul that has
> been at one time or another a Greek Orthodox cathedral, a Roman
> Catholic cathedral, and an imperial mosque. It was the largest
> cathedral in the world for over 1,000 years, but it's now the
> second-most-visited museum in Turkey. What is its name?

Hagia Sofia

> 4. In "The Man With the Golden Gun", James Bond visits MI6's Hong
> Kong headquarters, located in a a half-sunken shipwreck in
> Hong Kong harbor. The ship in question was commissioned for
> the Cunard line and launched in 1939 when it was the largest
> passenger liner in the world -- a record it would hold at least
> until it caught fire and sank in 1973. Name the ship.

Britannia

> 5. In "Goldfinger", Goldfinger's evil scheme is to irradiate the
> US gold bullion supply, thus increasing the value of his
> own gold. This requires a daring raid on the US Gold Bullion
> Depository located on an army base in *what US state*?

Kentucky

> 6. The opening sequence in "The World is Not Enough" takes place
> in Bilbao, Spain -- mostly because the filmmakers wanted to
> get a shot of James Bond walking by the Frank-Gehry-designed
> Bilbao branch of *what museum*?

Guggenheim

> 7. Ian Fleming wrote all of the James Bond books at his home,
> which he named Goldeneye. On *what Caribbean island*, location
> of the very first James Bond movie, "Dr. No", is Goldeneye
> located?

St Kitts

> 8. In "Diamonds are Forever", assassins Wint and Kidd take snapshots
> as the body of their latest victim Mrs. Whistler is pulled from
> a river. Says Mr. Kidd, "Mrs. Whistler did want some pictures of
> the canals for the children". Responds Mr. Wint, "the children
> will be thrilled". In *which European city* is this scene?

Amsterdam ?

> 9. This city is currently the only European capital city that sits
> on a border with two different sovereign nations. (For clarity:
> the city is the capital of its own country *and* it borders
> with *two other* countries.) No wonder James Bond used it
> as a staging point to help Soviet defector Koskov escape
> Czechoslovakia in 1987's "The Living Daylights". Name this
> capital city.

Bratislava

> 10. In "License to Kill", M confronts Bond in the Florida home
> of a famous author; Bond resigns from the Secret Service
> and M demands that he hand over his gun. Quips James Bond,
> "I guess this is a farewell to arms". What *city* are they in?

Key West

> * Game 007, Round 5 - Audio
>
> No, you're not getting the audio round this week, but I can't
> resist posting the preamble to it:
>
> The new Bond movie is called "Spectre". The movie is named after
> that villainous murderous criminal organization, SPECTRE. Here are
> 10 songs that were produced by that villainous murderous criminal,
> Phil Spector.
>
> (Cf. Game 10, Round 10, of the previous season, question #E2.)
>

> * Game 007, Round 6 - History - Real-Life Spies
>
> 1. American intelligence analyst Jonathan Jay Pollard was sentenced
> to life imprisonment for stealing thousands of documents from the
> US Navy in the mid-1980s. What country was Pollard spying for?

Russia; DDR

> There was no question 5 in the round as prepared for the original
> game, and while the Irregulars did come up with an emergency
> substitute question after the game started, I'll present the round
> here without that addition.
>

> 7. Bulgarian dissident Georgi Markov was assassinated on a London
> street in 1978. The cause of death was a micro-engineered pellet
> containing ricin, but what was the unusual delivery mechanism?

an umbrella

> 8. In another assassination, fugitive Russian FSB agent Alexander
> Litvinenko was killed by KGB agents who served him poisoned tea.
> With what radioactive element was it poisoned?

Polonium?

Björn

Dan Blum

Apr 2, 2016, 11:00:44 AM4/2/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 007, Round 4 - Geography - James Bond Locations

> 1. In "Moonraker", Bond engages in a boat chase with the assassin
> Jaws that ends with Jaws going over Iguassu Falls. This massive
> cataract with the 6th-highest annual water flow of any waterfall
> is second only in length and size to Victoria Falls, and is
> located on the border of *which two South American countries*?

Brazil and Argentina; Argentina and Chile

> 2. After hang-gliding over Iguassu Falls, Bond follows a beautiful
> woman through the jungle to a secret pyramid. Although in the
> movie the falls and the pyramid are only a few minutes away
> from each other, in the real world the pyramid is a part of the
> ancient Mayan city of Tikal -- which can be found today in what
> Central American country?

Guatemala

> 3. In "From Russia With Love", Bond meets with his contact Kerim
> Bey inside of a large Byzantine structure in Istanbul that has
> been at one time or another a Greek Orthodox cathedral, a Roman
> Catholic cathedral, and an imperial mosque. It was the largest
> cathedral in the world for over 1,000 years, but it's now the
> second-most-visited museum in Turkey. What is its name?

Hagia Sophia

> 4. In "The Man With the Golden Gun", James Bond visits MI6's Hong
> Kong headquarters, located in a a half-sunken shipwreck in
> Hong Kong harbor. The ship in question was commissioned for
> the Cunard line and launched in 1939 when it was the largest
> passenger liner in the world -- a record it would hold at least
> until it caught fire and sank in 1973. Name the ship.

Queen Mary

> 5. In "Goldfinger", Goldfinger's evil scheme is to irradiate the
> US gold bullion supply, thus increasing the value of his
> own gold. This requires a daring raid on the US Gold Bullion
> Depository located on an army base in *what US state*?

Kentucky

> 6. The opening sequence in "The World is Not Enough" takes place
> in Bilbao, Spain -- mostly because the filmmakers wanted to
> get a shot of James Bond walking by the Frank-Gehry-designed
> Bilbao branch of *what museum*?

Guggenheim

> 7. Ian Fleming wrote all of the James Bond books at his home,
> which he named Goldeneye. On *what Caribbean island*, location
> of the very first James Bond movie, "Dr. No", is Goldeneye
> located?

Barbados; Grand Cayman

> 8. In "Diamonds are Forever", assassins Wint and Kidd take snapshots
> as the body of their latest victim Mrs. Whistler is pulled from
> a river. Says Mr. Kidd, "Mrs. Whistler did want some pictures of
> the canals for the children". Responds Mr. Wint, "the children
> will be thrilled". In *which European city* is this scene?

Amsterdam; Venice

> 9. This city is currently the only European capital city that sits
> on a border with two different sovereign nations. (For clarity:
> the city is the capital of its own country *and* it borders
> with *two other* countries.) No wonder James Bond used it
> as a staging point to help Soviet defector Koskov escape
> Czechoslovakia in 1987's "The Living Daylights". Name this
> capital city.

Prague; Vienna

> 10. In "License to Kill", M confronts Bond in the Florida home
> of a famous author; Bond resigns from the Secret Service
> and M demands that he hand over his gun. Quips James Bond,
> "I guess this is a farewell to arms". What *city* are they in?

Key West

> * Game 007, Round 6 - History - Real-Life Spies

> 1. American intelligence analyst Jonathan Jay Pollard was sentenced
> to life imprisonment for stealing thousands of documents from the
> US Navy in the mid-1980s. What country was Pollard spying for?

Israel

> 4. Rudolf Abel was a KGB agent who was captured by the FBI.
> Abel was exchanged for an American, on a Berlin bridge in 1962.
> Name that American, portrayed in a recent movie adaptation by
> Austin Stowell.

Powers

> 7. Bulgarian dissident Georgi Markov was assassinated on a London
> street in 1978. The cause of death was a micro-engineered pellet
> containing ricin, but what was the unusual delivery mechanism?

umbrella

> 8. In another assassination, fugitive Russian FSB agent Alexander
> Litvinenko was killed by KGB agents who served him poisoned tea.
> With what radioactive element was it poisoned?

polonium

> 9. At 6'2", this American woman was too tall to serve in the regular
> forces so she joined the OSS during World War II and served in
> Ceylon (Sri Lanka) and later in China. Her first TV show had its
> debut on PBS and ran for ten years. Name this OSS agent, better
> known to us from books and TV, and depicted in a 2009 movie.

Julia Child

> 10. This British agent served in Germany and Russia during World
> War I. During the Russian Revolution, he was responsible for
> an attempted coup against the Bolsheviks, for which he was
> executed by the OGPU in 1925. He was the inspiration for James
> Bond and for a 1983 miniseries starring Sam Neill. Name this
> "ace of spies".

Reilly

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Jason Kreitzer

Apr 2, 2016, 5:54:49 PM4/2/16
Tennessee
> 6. The opening sequence in "The World is Not Enough" takes place
> in Bilbao, Spain -- mostly because the filmmakers wanted to
> get a shot of James Bond walking by the Frank-Gehry-designed
> Bilbao branch of *what museum*?
>
> 7. Ian Fleming wrote all of the James Bond books at his home,
> which he named Goldeneye. On *what Caribbean island*, location
> of the very first James Bond movie, "Dr. No", is Goldeneye
> located?
Jamaica
> 8. In "Diamonds are Forever", assassins Wint and Kidd take snapshots
> as the body of their latest victim Mrs. Whistler is pulled from
> a river. Says Mr. Kidd, "Mrs. Whistler did want some pictures of
> the canals for the children". Responds Mr. Wint, "the children
> will be thrilled". In *which European city* is this scene?
>
> 9. This city is currently the only European capital city that sits
> on a border with two different sovereign nations. (For clarity:
> the city is the capital of its own country *and* it borders
> with *two other* countries.) No wonder James Bond used it
> as a staging point to help Soviet defector Koskov escape
> Czechoslovakia in 1987's "The Living Daylights". Name this
> capital city.
>
> 10. In "License to Kill", M confronts Bond in the Florida home
> of a famous author; Bond resigns from the Secret Service
> and M demands that he hand over his gun. Quips James Bond,
> "I guess this is a farewell to arms". What *city* are they in?
Key West

> * Game 007, Round 5 - Audio
>
> No, you're not getting the audio round this week, but I can't
> resist posting the preamble to it:
>
> The new Bond movie is called "Spectre". The movie is named after
> that villainous murderous criminal organization, SPECTRE. Here are
> 10 songs that were produced by that villainous murderous criminal,
> Phil Spector.
>
> (Cf. Game 10, Round 10, of the previous season, question #E2.)
>

> * Game 007, Round 6 - History - Real-Life Spies
>
> 1. American intelligence analyst Jonathan Jay Pollard was sentenced
> to life imprisonment for stealing thousands of documents from the
> US Navy in the mid-1980s. What country was Pollard spying for?
Israel
> 2. This sublieutenant in Royal Canadian Navy intelligence
> started selling secret information to the Russian GRU in 2007,
> and wasn't caught until 2011. In 2013, he was sentenced to
> 20 years imprisonment. Name the man.
>
> 3. Although not a spy himself, this physicist was the guiding force
> behind a network which disseminated Pakistani nuclear secrets
> to nations such as Iran, North Korea, and Libya. Name the man.
>
> 4. Rudolf Abel was a KGB agent who was captured by the FBI.
> Abel was exchanged for an American, on a Berlin bridge in 1962.
> Name that American, portrayed in a recent movie adaptation by
> Austin Stowell.
Gary Powell

Pete

Apr 2, 2016, 6:54:06 PM4/2/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:bfOdnZVlzr5LymLLnZ2dnUU7-
N_N...@giganews.com:

>> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-11-09,
>> and should be interpreted accordingly.
>>
>> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give
>> both a right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty.
>> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
>> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote
>> the questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal
>> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>>
>> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
>> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
>> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
>> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
>> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 007, Round 4 - Geography - James Bond Locations
>
> 1. In "Moonraker", Bond engages in a boat chase with the assassin
> Jaws that ends with Jaws going over Iguassu Falls. This massive
> cataract with the 6th-highest annual water flow of any waterfall
> is second only in length and size to Victoria Falls, and is
> located on the border of *which two South American countries*?

Brazil and Argentina

> 2. After hang-gliding over Iguassu Falls, Bond follows a beautiful
> woman through the jungle to a secret pyramid. Although in the
> movie the falls and the pyramid are only a few minutes away
> from each other, in the real world the pyramid is a part of the
> ancient Mayan city of Tikal -- which can be found today in what
> Central American country?

Costa Rica; Mexico

> 3. In "From Russia With Love", Bond meets with his contact Kerim
> Bey inside of a large Byzantine structure in Istanbul that has
> been at one time or another a Greek Orthodox cathedral, a Roman
> Catholic cathedral, and an imperial mosque. It was the largest
> cathedral in the world for over 1,000 years, but it's now the
> second-most-visited museum in Turkey. What is its name?

Hagia Sophia

> 4. In "The Man With the Golden Gun", James Bond visits MI6's Hong
> Kong headquarters, located in a a half-sunken shipwreck in
> Hong Kong harbor. The ship in question was commissioned for
> the Cunard line and launched in 1939 when it was the largest
> passenger liner in the world -- a record it would hold at least
> until it caught fire and sank in 1973. Name the ship.

Queen Elizabeth I

> 5. In "Goldfinger", Goldfinger's evil scheme is to irradiate the
> US gold bullion supply, thus increasing the value of his
> own gold. This requires a daring raid on the US Gold Bullion
> Depository located on an army base in *what US state*?

Kentucky

> 6. The opening sequence in "The World is Not Enough" takes place
> in Bilbao, Spain -- mostly because the filmmakers wanted to
> get a shot of James Bond walking by the Frank-Gehry-designed
> Bilbao branch of *what museum*?

Guggenheim

> 7. Ian Fleming wrote all of the James Bond books at his home,
> which he named Goldeneye. On *what Caribbean island*, location
> of the very first James Bond movie, "Dr. No", is Goldeneye
> located?

Jamaica

> 8. In "Diamonds are Forever", assassins Wint and Kidd take snapshots
> as the body of their latest victim Mrs. Whistler is pulled from
> a river. Says Mr. Kidd, "Mrs. Whistler did want some pictures of
> the canals for the children". Responds Mr. Wint, "the children
> will be thrilled". In *which European city* is this scene?

Amsterdam

> 9. This city is currently the only European capital city that sits
> on a border with two different sovereign nations. (For clarity:
> the city is the capital of its own country *and* it borders
> with *two other* countries.) No wonder James Bond used it
> as a staging point to help Soviet defector Koskov escape
> Czechoslovakia in 1987's "The Living Daylights". Name this
> capital city.

Luxembourg City

> 10. In "License to Kill", M confronts Bond in the Florida home
> of a famous author; Bond resigns from the Secret Service
> and M demands that he hand over his gun. Quips James Bond,
> "I guess this is a farewell to arms". What *city* are they in?

Key West

> * Game 007, Round 5 - Audio
>
> No, you're not getting the audio round this week, but I can't
> resist posting the preamble to it:
>
> The new Bond movie is called "Spectre". The movie is named after
> that villainous murderous criminal organization, SPECTRE. Here are
> 10 songs that were produced by that villainous murderous criminal,
> Phil Spector.
>
> (Cf. Game 10, Round 10, of the previous season, question #E2.)
>

> * Game 007, Round 6 - History - Real-Life Spies
>
> 1. American intelligence analyst Jonathan Jay Pollard was sentenced
> to life imprisonment for stealing thousands of documents from the
> US Navy in the mid-1980s. What country was Pollard spying for?

Israel

> 2. This sublieutenant in Royal Canadian Navy intelligence
> started selling secret information to the Russian GRU in 2007,
> and wasn't caught until 2011. In 2013, he was sentenced to
> 20 years imprisonment. Name the man.
>
> 3. Although not a spy himself, this physicist was the guiding force
> behind a network which disseminated Pakistani nuclear secrets
> to nations such as Iran, North Korea, and Libya. Name the man.
>
> 4. Rudolf Abel was a KGB agent who was captured by the FBI.
> Abel was exchanged for an American, on a Berlin bridge in 1962.
> Name that American, portrayed in a recent movie adaptation by
> Austin Stowell.

Powers

> There was no question 5 in the round as prepared for the original
> game, and while the Irregulars did come up with an emergency
> substitute question after the game started, I'll present the round
> here without that addition.
>
> 6. In one of the biggest spy scandals in the UK, War Secretary
> John Profumo resigned in disgrace after it was discovered that
> the showgirl he was seeing was also seeing GRU agent Yevgeni
> Ivanov. Name the showgirl who brought down Profumo.
>
> 7. Bulgarian dissident Georgi Markov was assassinated on a London
> street in 1978. The cause of death was a micro-engineered pellet
> containing ricin, but what was the unusual delivery mechanism?

Umbrella

> 8. In another assassination, fugitive Russian FSB agent Alexander
> Litvinenko was killed by KGB agents who served him poisoned tea.
> With what radioactive element was it poisoned?

Plutonium

> 9. At 6'2", this American woman was too tall to serve in the regular
> forces so she joined the OSS during World War II and served in
> Ceylon (Sri Lanka) and later in China. Her first TV show had its
> debut on PBS and ran for ten years. Name this OSS agent, better
> known to us from books and TV, and depicted in a 2009 movie.

Julia Child

> 10. This British agent served in Germany and Russia during World
> War I. During the Russian Revolution, he was responsible for
> an attempted coup against the Bolsheviks, for which he was
> executed by the OGPU in 1925. He was the inspiration for James
> Bond and for a 1983 miniseries starring Sam Neill. Name this
> "ace of spies".

Reilly

Pete Gayde

Calvin

Apr 2, 2016, 10:15:55 PM4/2/16
On Saturday, April 2, 2016 at 3:25:43 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 007, Round 4 - Geography - James Bond Locations
>
> 1. In "Moonraker", Bond engages in a boat chase with the assassin
> Jaws that ends with Jaws going over Iguassu Falls. This massive
> cataract with the 6th-highest annual water flow of any waterfall
> is second only in length and size to Victoria Falls, and is
> located on the border of *which two South American countries*?

Brazil and Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay

> 2. After hang-gliding over Iguassu Falls, Bond follows a beautiful
> woman through the jungle to a secret pyramid. Although in the
> movie the falls and the pyramid are only a few minutes away
> from each other, in the real world the pyramid is a part of the
> ancient Mayan city of Tikal -- which can be found today in what
> Central American country?

Costa Rica, Panama

> 3. In "From Russia With Love", Bond meets with his contact Kerim
> Bey inside of a large Byzantine structure in Istanbul that has
> been at one time or another a Greek Orthodox cathedral, a Roman
> Catholic cathedral, and an imperial mosque. It was the largest
> cathedral in the world for over 1,000 years, but it's now the
> second-most-visited museum in Turkey. What is its name?

St Sofia

> 4. In "The Man With the Golden Gun", James Bond visits MI6's Hong
> Kong headquarters, located in a a half-sunken shipwreck in
> Hong Kong harbor. The ship in question was commissioned for
> the Cunard line and launched in 1939 when it was the largest
> passenger liner in the world -- a record it would hold at least
> until it caught fire and sank in 1973. Name the ship.

Queen Mary

> 5. In "Goldfinger", Goldfinger's evil scheme is to irradiate the
> US gold bullion supply, thus increasing the value of his
> own gold. This requires a daring raid on the US Gold Bullion
> Depository located on an army base in *what US state*?

Kentucky

> 6. The opening sequence in "The World is Not Enough" takes place
> in Bilbao, Spain -- mostly because the filmmakers wanted to
> get a shot of James Bond walking by the Frank-Gehry-designed
> Bilbao branch of *what museum*?

Guggenheim

> 7. Ian Fleming wrote all of the James Bond books at his home,
> which he named Goldeneye. On *what Caribbean island*, location
> of the very first James Bond movie, "Dr. No", is Goldeneye
> located?

Jamaica

> 8. In "Diamonds are Forever", assassins Wint and Kidd take snapshots
> as the body of their latest victim Mrs. Whistler is pulled from
> a river. Says Mr. Kidd, "Mrs. Whistler did want some pictures of
> the canals for the children". Responds Mr. Wint, "the children
> will be thrilled". In *which European city* is this scene?

Amsterdam

> 9. This city is currently the only European capital city that sits
> on a border with two different sovereign nations. (For clarity:
> the city is the capital of its own country *and* it borders
> with *two other* countries.) No wonder James Bond used it
> as a staging point to help Soviet defector Koskov escape
> Czechoslovakia in 1987's "The Living Daylights". Name this
> capital city.

Vienna

> 10. In "License to Kill", M confronts Bond in the Florida home
> of a famous author; Bond resigns from the Secret Service
> and M demands that he hand over his gun. Quips James Bond,
> "I guess this is a farewell to arms". What *city* are they in?

Miami, New Orleans

> * Game 007, Round 6 - History - Real-Life Spies
>
> 1. American intelligence analyst Jonathan Jay Pollard was sentenced
> to life imprisonment for stealing thousands of documents from the
> US Navy in the mid-1980s. What country was Pollard spying for?

GDR, USSR

> 2. This sublieutenant in Royal Canadian Navy intelligence
> started selling secret information to the Russian GRU in 2007,
> and wasn't caught until 2011. In 2013, he was sentenced to
> 20 years imprisonment. Name the man.
>
> 3. Although not a spy himself, this physicist was the guiding force
> behind a network which disseminated Pakistani nuclear secrets
> to nations such as Iran, North Korea, and Libya. Name the man.
>
> 4. Rudolf Abel was a KGB agent who was captured by the FBI.
> Abel was exchanged for an American, on a Berlin bridge in 1962.
> Name that American, portrayed in a recent movie adaptation by
> Austin Stowell.

Powers

> There was no question 5 in the round as prepared for the original
> game, and while the Irregulars did come up with an emergency
> substitute question after the game started, I'll present the round
> here without that addition.

Pope Pius XII

> 6. In one of the biggest spy scandals in the UK, War Secretary
> John Profumo resigned in disgrace after it was discovered that
> the showgirl he was seeing was also seeing GRU agent Yevgeni
> Ivanov. Name the showgirl who brought down Profumo.

Keeler, Rice-Davies

> 7. Bulgarian dissident Georgi Markov was assassinated on a London
> street in 1978. The cause of death was a micro-engineered pellet
> containing ricin, but what was the unusual delivery mechanism?

Umbrella to the leg

> 8. In another assassination, fugitive Russian FSB agent Alexander
> Litvinenko was killed by KGB agents who served him poisoned tea.
> With what radioactive element was it poisoned?

Polonium

> 9. At 6'2", this American woman was too tall to serve in the regular
> forces so she joined the OSS during World War II and served in
> Ceylon (Sri Lanka) and later in China. Her first TV show had its
> debut on PBS and ran for ten years. Name this OSS agent, better
> known to us from books and TV, and depicted in a 2009 movie.
>
> 10. This British agent served in Germany and Russia during World
> War I. During the Russian Revolution, he was responsible for
> an attempted coup against the Bolsheviks, for which he was
> executed by the OGPU in 1925. He was the inspiration for James
> Bond and for a 1983 miniseries starring Sam Neill. Name this
> "ace of spies".

Riley

cheers,
calvin

Marc Dashevsky

Apr 3, 2016, 11:36:14 AM4/3/16
In article <bfOdnZVlzr5LymLL...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 007, Round 4 - Geography - James Bond Locations
>
> 1. In "Moonraker", Bond engages in a boat chase with the assassin
> Jaws that ends with Jaws going over Iguassu Falls. This massive
> cataract with the 6th-highest annual water flow of any waterfall
> is second only in length and size to Victoria Falls, and is
> located on the border of *which two South American countries*?
Uruguay and Brazil

> 2. After hang-gliding over Iguassu Falls, Bond follows a beautiful
> woman through the jungle to a secret pyramid. Although in the
> movie the falls and the pyramid are only a few minutes away
> from each other, in the real world the pyramid is a part of the
> ancient Mayan city of Tikal -- which can be found today in what
> Central American country?
Honduras; Guatemala

> 3. In "From Russia With Love", Bond meets with his contact Kerim
> Bey inside of a large Byzantine structure in Istanbul that has
> been at one time or another a Greek Orthodox cathedral, a Roman
> Catholic cathedral, and an imperial mosque. It was the largest
> cathedral in the world for over 1,000 years, but it's now the
> second-most-visited museum in Turkey. What is its name?
Hagia Sofia

> 4. In "The Man With the Golden Gun", James Bond visits MI6's Hong
> Kong headquarters, located in a a half-sunken shipwreck in
> Hong Kong harbor. The ship in question was commissioned for
> the Cunard line and launched in 1939 when it was the largest
> passenger liner in the world -- a record it would hold at least
> until it caught fire and sank in 1973. Name the ship.
>
> 5. In "Goldfinger", Goldfinger's evil scheme is to irradiate the
> US gold bullion supply, thus increasing the value of his
> own gold. This requires a daring raid on the US Gold Bullion
> Depository located on an army base in *what US state*?
Kentucky

> 6. The opening sequence in "The World is Not Enough" takes place
> in Bilbao, Spain -- mostly because the filmmakers wanted to
> get a shot of James Bond walking by the Frank-Gehry-designed
> Bilbao branch of *what museum*?
Guggenheim

> 7. Ian Fleming wrote all of the James Bond books at his home,
> which he named Goldeneye. On *what Caribbean island*, location
> of the very first James Bond movie, "Dr. No", is Goldeneye
> located?
Jamaica

> 8. In "Diamonds are Forever", assassins Wint and Kidd take snapshots
> as the body of their latest victim Mrs. Whistler is pulled from
> a river. Says Mr. Kidd, "Mrs. Whistler did want some pictures of
> the canals for the children". Responds Mr. Wint, "the children
> will be thrilled". In *which European city* is this scene?
Amsterdam

> 9. This city is currently the only European capital city that sits
> on a border with two different sovereign nations. (For clarity:
> the city is the capital of its own country *and* it borders
> with *two other* countries.) No wonder James Bond used it
> as a staging point to help Soviet defector Koskov escape
> Czechoslovakia in 1987's "The Living Daylights". Name this
> capital city.
>
> 10. In "License to Kill", M confronts Bond in the Florida home
> of a famous author; Bond resigns from the Secret Service
> and M demands that he hand over his gun. Quips James Bond,
> "I guess this is a farewell to arms". What *city* are they in?
>

> * Game 007, Round 5 - Audio
>
> No, you're not getting the audio round this week, but I can't
> resist posting the preamble to it:
>
> The new Bond movie is called "Spectre". The movie is named after
> that villainous murderous criminal organization, SPECTRE. Here are
> 10 songs that were produced by that villainous murderous criminal,
> Phil Spector.
>
> (Cf. Game 10, Round 10, of the previous season, question #E2.)
>

> * Game 007, Round 6 - History - Real-Life Spies
>
> 1. American intelligence analyst Jonathan Jay Pollard was sentenced
> to life imprisonment for stealing thousands of documents from the
> US Navy in the mid-1980s. What country was Pollard spying for?
Israel

> 2. This sublieutenant in Royal Canadian Navy intelligence
> started selling secret information to the Russian GRU in 2007,
> and wasn't caught until 2011. In 2013, he was sentenced to
> 20 years imprisonment. Name the man.
>
> 3. Although not a spy himself, this physicist was the guiding force
> behind a network which disseminated Pakistani nuclear secrets
> to nations such as Iran, North Korea, and Libya. Name the man.
>
> 4. Rudolf Abel was a KGB agent who was captured by the FBI.
> Abel was exchanged for an American, on a Berlin bridge in 1962.
> Name that American, portrayed in a recent movie adaptation by
> Austin Stowell.
Powers

> There was no question 5 in the round as prepared for the original
> game, and while the Irregulars did come up with an emergency
> substitute question after the game started, I'll present the round
> here without that addition.
>
> 6. In one of the biggest spy scandals in the UK, War Secretary
> John Profumo resigned in disgrace after it was discovered that
> the showgirl he was seeing was also seeing GRU agent Yevgeni
> Ivanov. Name the showgirl who brought down Profumo.
>
> 7. Bulgarian dissident Georgi Markov was assassinated on a London
> street in 1978. The cause of death was a micro-engineered pellet
> containing ricin, but what was the unusual delivery mechanism?
umbrella tip

> 8. In another assassination, fugitive Russian FSB agent Alexander
> Litvinenko was killed by KGB agents who served him poisoned tea.
> With what radioactive element was it poisoned?
polonium

> 9. At 6'2", this American woman was too tall to serve in the regular
> forces so she joined the OSS during World War II and served in
> Ceylon (Sri Lanka) and later in China. Her first TV show had its
> debut on PBS and ran for ten years. Name this OSS agent, better
> known to us from books and TV, and depicted in a 2009 movie.
Julia Child

> 10. This British agent served in Germany and Russia during World
> War I. During the Russian Revolution, he was responsible for
> an attempted coup against the Bolsheviks, for which he was
> executed by the OGPU in 1925. He was the inspiration for James
> Bond and for a 1983 miniseries starring Sam Neill. Name this
> "ace of spies".
Reilly

swp

Apr 3, 2016, 12:44:43 PM4/3/16
On Saturday, April 2, 2016 at 1:25:43 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> > These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-11-09,
> > and should be interpreted accordingly.

noted

> * Game 007, Round 4 - Geography - James Bond Locations
>
> 1. In "Moonraker", Bond engages in a boat chase with the assassin
> Jaws that ends with Jaws going over Iguassu Falls. This massive
> cataract with the 6th-highest annual water flow of any waterfall
> is second only in length and size to Victoria Falls, and is
> located on the border of *which two South American countries*?

argentina, brazil

> 2. After hang-gliding over Iguassu Falls, Bond follows a beautiful
> woman through the jungle to a secret pyramid. Although in the
> movie the falls and the pyramid are only a few minutes away
> from each other, in the real world the pyramid is a part of the
> ancient Mayan city of Tikal -- which can be found today in what
> Central American country?

guatemala

> 3. In "From Russia With Love", Bond meets with his contact Kerim
> Bey inside of a large Byzantine structure in Istanbul that has
> been at one time or another a Greek Orthodox cathedral, a Roman
> Catholic cathedral, and an imperial mosque. It was the largest
> cathedral in the world for over 1,000 years, but it's now the
> second-most-visited museum in Turkey. What is its name?

hagia sophia

> 4. In "The Man With the Golden Gun", James Bond visits MI6's Hong
> Kong headquarters, located in a a half-sunken shipwreck in
> Hong Kong harbor. The ship in question was commissioned for
> the Cunard line and launched in 1939 when it was the largest
> passenger liner in the world -- a record it would hold at least
> until it caught fire and sank in 1973. Name the ship.

rms queen elizabeth

> 5. In "Goldfinger", Goldfinger's evil scheme is to irradiate the
> US gold bullion supply, thus increasing the value of his
> own gold. This requires a daring raid on the US Gold Bullion
> Depository located on an army base in *what US state*?

kentucky

> 6. The opening sequence in "The World is Not Enough" takes place
> in Bilbao, Spain -- mostly because the filmmakers wanted to
> get a shot of James Bond walking by the Frank-Gehry-designed
> Bilbao branch of *what museum*?

the guggenheim museum

> 7. Ian Fleming wrote all of the James Bond books at his home,
> which he named Goldeneye. On *what Caribbean island*, location
> of the very first James Bond movie, "Dr. No", is Goldeneye
> located?

jamaica

> 8. In "Diamonds are Forever", assassins Wint and Kidd take snapshots
> as the body of their latest victim Mrs. Whistler is pulled from
> a river. Says Mr. Kidd, "Mrs. Whistler did want some pictures of
> the canals for the children". Responds Mr. Wint, "the children
> will be thrilled". In *which European city* is this scene?

amsterdam

> 9. This city is currently the only European capital city that sits
> on a border with two different sovereign nations. (For clarity:
> the city is the capital of its own country *and* it borders
> with *two other* countries.) No wonder James Bond used it
> as a staging point to help Soviet defector Koskov escape
> Czechoslovakia in 1987's "The Living Daylights". Name this
> capital city.

bratislava

> 10. In "License to Kill", M confronts Bond in the Florida home
> of a famous author; Bond resigns from the Secret Service
> and M demands that he hand over his gun. Quips James Bond,
> "I guess this is a farewell to arms". What *city* are they in?

key west

> * Game 007, Round 5 - Audio
>
> No, you're not getting the audio round this week, but I can't
> resist posting the preamble to it:
>
> The new Bond movie is called "Spectre". The movie is named after
> that villainous murderous criminal organization, SPECTRE. Here are
> 10 songs that were produced by that villainous murderous criminal,
> Phil Spector.
>
> (Cf. Game 10, Round 10, of the previous season, question #E2.)

:-)

> * Game 007, Round 6 - History - Real-Life Spies
>
> 1. American intelligence analyst Jonathan Jay Pollard was sentenced
> to life imprisonment for stealing thousands of documents from the
> US Navy in the mid-1980s. What country was Pollard spying for?

israel

> 2. This sublieutenant in Royal Canadian Navy intelligence
> started selling secret information to the Russian GRU in 2007,
> and wasn't caught until 2011. In 2013, he was sentenced to
> 20 years imprisonment. Name the man.

jeff delisle

> 3. Although not a spy himself, this physicist was the guiding force
> behind a network which disseminated Pakistani nuclear secrets
> to nations such as Iran, North Korea, and Libya. Name the man.

khan

> 4. Rudolf Abel was a KGB agent who was captured by the FBI.
> Abel was exchanged for an American, on a Berlin bridge in 1962.
> Name that American, portrayed in a recent movie adaptation by
> Austin Stowell.

f. g. powers

> There was no question 5 in the round as prepared for the original
> game, and while the Irregulars did come up with an emergency
> substitute question after the game started, I'll present the round
> here without that addition.

you are number 5. ;-)

> 6. In one of the biggest spy scandals in the UK, War Secretary
> John Profumo resigned in disgrace after it was discovered that
> the showgirl he was seeing was also seeing GRU agent Yevgeni
> Ivanov. Name the showgirl who brought down Profumo.

christine keeler

> 7. Bulgarian dissident Georgi Markov was assassinated on a London
> street in 1978. The cause of death was a micro-engineered pellet
> containing ricin, but what was the unusual delivery mechanism?

an umbrella

> 8. In another assassination, fugitive Russian FSB agent Alexander
> Litvinenko was killed by KGB agents who served him poisoned tea.
> With what radioactive element was it poisoned?

polonium

> 9. At 6'2", this American woman was too tall to serve in the regular
> forces so she joined the OSS during World War II and served in
> Ceylon (Sri Lanka) and later in China. Her first TV show had its
> debut on PBS and ran for ten years. Name this OSS agent, better
> known to us from books and TV, and depicted in a 2009 movie.

julia child

> 10. This British agent served in Germany and Russia during World
> War I. During the Russian Revolution, he was responsible for
> an attempted coup against the Bolsheviks, for which he was
> executed by the OGPU in 1925. He was the inspiration for James
> Bond and for a 1983 miniseries starring Sam Neill. Name this
> "ace of spies".

sidney reilly

swp

bbowler

Apr 4, 2016, 11:16:50 AM4/4/16
Hagia Sophia?

> 4. In "The Man With the Golden Gun", James Bond visits MI6's Hong
> Kong headquarters, located in a a half-sunken shipwreck in Hong Kong
> harbor. The ship in question was commissioned for the Cunard line
> and launched in 1939 when it was the largest passenger liner in the
> world -- a record it would hold at least until it caught fire and
> sank in 1973. Name the ship.
>
> 5. In "Goldfinger", Goldfinger's evil scheme is to irradiate the
> US gold bullion supply, thus increasing the value of his own gold.
> This requires a daring raid on the US Gold Bullion Depository located
> on an army base in *what US state*?

Kentucky

> 6. The opening sequence in "The World is Not Enough" takes place
> in Bilbao, Spain -- mostly because the filmmakers wanted to get a
> shot of James Bond walking by the Frank-Gehry-designed Bilbao branch
> of *what museum*?

Guggenheim

> 7. Ian Fleming wrote all of the James Bond books at his home,
> which he named Goldeneye. On *what Caribbean island*, location of
> the very first James Bond movie, "Dr. No", is Goldeneye located?

Jamaica
Israel

> 2. This sublieutenant in Royal Canadian Navy intelligence
> started selling secret information to the Russian GRU in 2007, and
> wasn't caught until 2011. In 2013, he was sentenced to 20 years
> imprisonment. Name the man.
>
> 3. Although not a spy himself, this physicist was the guiding force
> behind a network which disseminated Pakistani nuclear secrets to
> nations such as Iran, North Korea, and Libya. Name the man.
>
> 4. Rudolf Abel was a KGB agent who was captured by the FBI.
> Abel was exchanged for an American, on a Berlin bridge in 1962. Name
> that American, portrayed in a recent movie adaptation by Austin
> Stowell.

Francis Gary Powers

> There was no question 5 in the round as prepared for the original game,
> and while the Irregulars did come up with an emergency substitute
> question after the game started, I'll present the round here without
> that addition.
>
> 6. In one of the biggest spy scandals in the UK, War Secretary
> John Profumo resigned in disgrace after it was discovered that the
> showgirl he was seeing was also seeing GRU agent Yevgeni Ivanov.
> Name the showgirl who brought down Profumo.
>
> 7. Bulgarian dissident Georgi Markov was assassinated on a London
> street in 1978. The cause of death was a micro-engineered pellet
> containing ricin, but what was the unusual delivery mechanism?

An umbrella

> 8. In another assassination, fugitive Russian FSB agent Alexander
> Litvinenko was killed by KGB agents who served him poisoned tea. With
> what radioactive element was it poisoned?

Polonium

> 9. At 6'2", this American woman was too tall to serve in the regular
> forces so she joined the OSS during World War II and served in Ceylon
> (Sri Lanka) and later in China. Her first TV show had its debut on
> PBS and ran for ten years. Name this OSS agent, better known to us
> from books and TV, and depicted in a 2009 movie.

Julia Child

Mark Brader

Apr 4, 2016, 11:15:20 PM4/4/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-11-09,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 007, Round 4 - Geography - James Bond Locations

> 1. In "Moonraker", Bond engages in a boat chase with the assassin
> Jaws that ends with Jaws going over Iguassu Falls. This massive
> cataract with the 6th-highest annual water flow of any waterfall
> is second only in length and size to Victoria Falls, and is
> located on the border of *which two South American countries*?

Argentina, Brazil. 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque, Björn, Pete,
and Stephen. 3 for Dan Blum and Calvin.

Paraguay was close; its triple point with the other two countries
is a river junction only about 15 miles downstream from the falls.
Uruguay is quite a bit farther away, and Venezula and Chile are
right out.

> 2. After hang-gliding over Iguassu Falls, Bond follows a beautiful
> woman through the jungle to a secret pyramid. Although in the
> movie the falls and the pyramid are only a few minutes away
> from each other, in the real world the pyramid is a part of the
> ancient Mayan city of Tikal -- which can be found today in what
> Central American country?

Guatemala. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Stephen.
2 for Marc.

> 3. In "From Russia With Love", Bond meets with his contact Kerim
> Bey inside of a large Byzantine structure in Istanbul that has
> been at one time or another a Greek Orthodox cathedral, a Roman
> Catholic cathedral, and an imperial mosque. It was the largest
> cathedral in the world for over 1,000 years, but it's now the
> second-most-visited museum in Turkey. What is its name?

Hagia (or Aya) Sophia. I scored "St. Sophia" as almost correct.
4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, Björn, Dan Blum, Pete, Marc,
Stephen, and Bruce. 3 for Calvin.

> 4. In "The Man With the Golden Gun", James Bond visits MI6's Hong
> Kong headquarters, located in a a half-sunken shipwreck in
> Hong Kong harbor. The ship in question was commissioned for
> the Cunard line and launched in 1939 when it was the largest
> passenger liner in the world -- a record it would hold at least
> until it caught fire and sank in 1973. Name the ship.

RMS "Queen Elizabeth", later just "Elizabeth" and finally "Seawise
University". 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen. 3 for Pete.

"Queen Elizabeth I" is wrong; the ship never had a number in its
name and it was named after the 20th-century Queen Elizabeth who
became the Queen Mother, not the 16th-century one now called Queen
Elizabeth I. (This also explains why the later ship named after this
one was the "Queen Elizabeth 2" rather than "Queen Elizabeth II".)
But I suspect that at least some of our QMs would have accepted this
answer, so it seemed to be fairest to score it as almost correct.

> 5. In "Goldfinger", Goldfinger's evil scheme is to irradiate the
> US gold bullion supply, thus increasing the value of his
> own gold. This requires a daring raid on the US Gold Bullion
> Depository located on an army base in *what US state*?

Kentucky. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, Björn, Dan Blum, Pete,
Calvin, Marc, Stephen, and Bruce.

> 6. The opening sequence in "The World is Not Enough" takes place
> in Bilbao, Spain -- mostly because the filmmakers wanted to
> get a shot of James Bond walking by the Frank-Gehry-designed
> Bilbao branch of *what museum*?

Guggenheim. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, Björn, Dan Blum,
Pete, Calvin, Marc, Stephen, and Bruce.

> 7. Ian Fleming wrote all of the James Bond books at his home,
> which he named Goldeneye. On *what Caribbean island*, location
> of the very first James Bond movie, "Dr. No", is Goldeneye
> located?

Jamaica. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Jason, Pete, Calvin, Marc,
Stephen, and Bruce.

> 8. In "Diamonds are Forever", assassins Wint and Kidd take snapshots
> as the body of their latest victim Mrs. Whistler is pulled from
> a river. Says Mr. Kidd, "Mrs. Whistler did want some pictures of
> the canals for the children". Responds Mr. Wint, "the children
> will be thrilled". In *which European city* is this scene?

Amsterdam. 4 for Björn, Pete, Calvin, Marc, and Stephen.
3 for Dan Blum. 2 for Joshua.

Yeah, I know, this was an entertainment and/or literature question,
not a geography question. But that's the way they wrote it.

> 9. This city is currently the only European capital city that sits
> on a border with two different sovereign nations. (For clarity:
> the city is the capital of its own country *and* it borders
> with *two other* countries.) No wonder James Bond used it
> as a staging point to help Soviet defector Koskov escape
> Czechoslovakia in 1987's "The Living Daylights". Name this
> capital city.

Bratislava. (Slovakia. Austria is on its west, Hungary on its
south.) 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, Björn, and Stephen.

> 10. In "License to Kill", M confronts Bond in the Florida home
> of a famous author; Bond resigns from the Secret Service
> and M demands that he hand over his gun. Quips James Bond,
> "I guess this is a farewell to arms". What *city* are they in?

Key West, Florida. (Where Ernest Hemingway lived.) 4 for Joshua,
Björn, Dan Blum, Jason, Pete, and Stephen.

> * Game 007, Round 6 - History - Real-Life Spies

> 1. American intelligence analyst Jonathan Jay Pollard was sentenced
> to life imprisonment for stealing thousands of documents from the
> US Navy in the mid-1980s. What country was Pollard spying for?

Israel. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Jason, Pete, Marc,
Stephen, and Bruce.

> 2. This sublieutenant in Royal Canadian Navy intelligence
> started selling secret information to the Russian GRU in 2007,
> and wasn't caught until 2011. In 2013, he was sentenced to
> 20 years imprisonment. Name the man.

Jeffrey Delisle. 4 for Stephen.

> 3. Although not a spy himself, this physicist was the guiding force
> behind a network which disseminated Pakistani nuclear secrets
> to nations such as Iran, North Korea, and Libya. Name the man.

Abdul Qadeer Khan. 4 for Stephen.

> 4. Rudolf Abel was a KGB agent who was captured by the FBI.
> Abel was exchanged for an American, on a Berlin bridge in 1962.
> Name that American, portrayed in a recent movie adaptation by
> Austin Stowell.

Francis Gary Powers. ("Bridge of Spies".) I scored "Gary Powell"
as almost correct. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, Calvin, Marc,
Stephen, and Bruce. 3 for Jason.

> There was no question 5 in the round as prepared for the original
> game, and while the Irregulars did come up with an emergency
> substitute question after the game started, I'll present the round
> here without that addition.

> 6. In one of the biggest spy scandals in the UK, War Secretary
> John Profumo resigned in disgrace after it was discovered that
> the showgirl he was seeing was also seeing GRU agent Yevgeni
> Ivanov. Name the showgirl who brought down Profumo.

Christine Keeler. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Joshua and Calvin.

> 7. Bulgarian dissident Georgi Markov was assassinated on a London
> street in 1978. The cause of death was a micro-engineered pellet
> containing ricin, but what was the unusual delivery mechanism?

An injector built into an umbrella. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque,
Björn, Dan Blum, Pete, Calvin, Marc, Stephen, and Bruce.

> 8. In another assassination, fugitive Russian FSB agent Alexander
> Litvinenko was killed by KGB agents who served him poisoned tea.
> With what radioactive element was it poisoned?

Polonium. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, Björn, Dan Blum, Calvin,
Marc, Stephen, and Bruce.

Yes, this question did previously appear in QFTCIMI515 Game 6,
Round 2, on poisons, posted here 2015-04-25. In both cases the
specific isotope, 210, was not required in the answer.

> 9. At 6'2", this American woman was too tall to serve in the regular
> forces so she joined the OSS during World War II and served in
> Ceylon (Sri Lanka) and later in China. Her first TV show had its
> debut on PBS and ran for ten years. Name this OSS agent, better
> known to us from books and TV, and depicted in a 2009 movie.

Julia Child ("Julie and Julia"). 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
Pete, Marc, Stephen, and Bruce.

> 10. This British agent served in Germany and Russia during World
> War I. During the Russian Revolution, he was responsible for
> an attempted coup against the Bolsheviks, for which he was
> executed by the OGPU in 1925. He was the inspiration for James
> Bond and for a 1983 miniseries starring Sam Neill. Name this
> "ace of spies".

Sidney Reilly. 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, Calvin, Marc, and Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 007 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Spo Mis Geo His
Stephen Perry 36 32 40 36 144
Joshua Kreitzer 29 24 30 23 106
Pete Gayde 32 22 31 20 105
"Calvin" 26 26 22 19 93
Dan Blum 12 31 26 24 93
Marc Dashevsky 8 20 22 24 74
Dan Tilque 12 12 32 16 72
Peter Smyth 40 28 -- -- 68
Erland Sommarskog 32 4 24 8 68
Bruce Bowler 4 8 16 20 48
Björn Lundin 4 8 28 8 48
Jason Kreitzer 4 8 8 7 27

--
Mark Brader | "(I've been told that I suffer from rampant narcissism.
Toronto | Just to confirm the accuracy of this character assessment,