Rotating Quiz #83 - Greater Than The Sum Of Its Parts

Gareth Owen

Nov 30, 2012, 11:11:59 AM11/30/12
( Inspired by The Canadian Inquisitions "Chapter Titles" round, thanks )
( to Mark Brader and the question setters of that round.... )

Each question takes the form of a list of three subdivisions of a
greater work -- they may be chapters of books, books in a series, songs
on an album, films in a sequence, or any similar breakdown -- the only
criterion is that they are individually titled parts of a greater whole.

Points will be awarded for the name of that Greater Work, and for the
author, artist, etc who created it. Preference will be given to the
earliest and/or original work, so if the items were

"The Fellowship Of The Ring"
"The Two Towers"
"The Return Of The King"

I'm looking for JRR Tolkien, not Peter Jackson.

Similarly:
"Mr Tambourine Man"
"Subterranean Homesick Blues"
"Maggies Farm"
the right answer would be "Bringing It All Back Home",
and "Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits" would be scored wrong.

Some are easy, some are much less so... Enjoy!

Tie breaker will be whoever least recently won a Rotating Quiz.

TL;DR: *** Points for the name of the Greater Work ***
*** AND the Creator of that work. ***

Part The First: Musical Memories

1. "Siegfried"
"Die Walküre"
"Das Rheingold"

2. "Miracle Cure"
"Go To The Mirror!"
"1921"

3. "Higher Than The Sun (a Dub Symphony in Two Parts)"
"Damaged"
"Loaded"

4. "Ur So Gay"
"Waking Up In Vegas"
"Hot n Cold"

5. "Freedom"
"Careless Whisper"
"Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go"

6. "Good Bye Pork Pie Hat"
"Open Letter To Duke"
"Better Git In Your Soul"

7. "Time Of The Preacher"
"Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain"
"Denver"

8. "Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos"
"Mind Terrorist"
"Don't Believe The Hype"

9. "Girl"
"The Word"
"What Goes On"

10. "Nimrod"
"G.R.S"
"* * *"

Part The Second: Literary Escapades

1. "Eclipse"
"New Moon"
"Breaking Dawn"

2. "Book I. Containing as much of the birth of the foundling as is
necessary or proper to acquaint the reader with in the
beginning of this History"
"Book II. Containing scenes of matrimonial felicity in different
degrees of life; and various other transactions during
the first two years after the marriage between Captain
Blifil and Miss Bridget Allworthy.
"Book V. Containing a portion of time somewhat longer than half
a year."

3. "Inferno"
"Purgatorio"
"Paradiso"

4. "The Abyss Gazes Also"
"At Midnight, All The Agents"
"A Brother To Dragons"

5. "A Game Of Chess"
"The Fire Sermon"
"Death By Water"

6. "Please Look. Can You See Us Etc"
"Robert Urich Says No. We Were So Close"
"Rules And Suggestions For The Enjoyment Of This Book"

7. "Struggle For Existence"
"Instinct"
"Laws Of Variation"

8. "Arrival Of A Foundling"
"Catherine Becomes A Lady"
"Mr Lockwood Takes His Leave"

9. "Economy"
"The Ponds"
"Where I Lived, and What I Lived For"

10. "Why Do Drug Dealers Still Live With Their Moms?"
"What Makes A Perfect Parent?"
"How Is The Ku Klux Klan Like A Group Of Real-Estate Agents?"

Part The Third: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

1. "Warldorf Salad"
"The Wedding Party"
"The Germans"

2. "The Contest"
"The Junior Mint"
"The Merv Griffin Show"

3. "Numbers"
"Namaste"
"The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham"

4. "Carentan"
"Bastogne"
"The Last Patrol"

5. "Marine One"
"The Good Soldier"
"A Gettysburg Address"

Chris F.A. Johnson

Nov 30, 2012, 11:42:02 AM11/30/12
> "Die Walk�re"
> "Das Rheingold"

The Ring of the Nibelung, Richard Wagner

> 2. "Miracle Cure"
> "Go To The Mirror!"
> "1921"

Tommy, The Who

> 3. "Higher Than The Sun (a Dub Symphony in Two Parts)"
> "Damaged"
> "Loaded"
>
> 4. "Ur So Gay"
> "Waking Up In Vegas"
> "Hot n Cold"
>
> 5. "Freedom"
> "Careless Whisper"
> "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go"
>
> 6. "Good Bye Pork Pie Hat"
> "Open Letter To Duke"
> "Better Git In Your Soul"

?, Mingus

> 7. "Time Of The Preacher"
> "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain"
> "Denver"
>
> 8. "Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos"
> "Mind Terrorist"
> "Don't Believe The Hype"
>
> 9. "Girl"
> "The Word"
> "What Goes On"

Rubber Soul, Beatles

> 10. "Nimrod"
> "G.R.S"
> "* * *"
>

> Part The Second: Literary Escapades
>
> 1. "Eclipse"
> "New Moon"
> "Breaking Dawn"
>
> 2. "Book I. Containing as much of the birth of the foundling as is
> necessary or proper to acquaint the reader with in the
> beginning of this History"
> "Book II. Containing scenes of matrimonial felicity in different
> degrees of life; and various other transactions during
> the first two years after the marriage between Captain
> Blifil and Miss Bridget Allworthy.
> "Book V. Containing a portion of time somewhat longer than half
> a year."

Tom Jones, Fielding

> 3. "Inferno"
> "Purgatorio"
> "Paradiso"

The Divine Comedy, Dante Alighieri

> 4. "The Abyss Gazes Also"
> "At Midnight, All The Agents"
> "A Brother To Dragons"
>
> 5. "A Game Of Chess"
> "The Fire Sermon"
> "Death By Water"

?, Stefan Zweig

> 6. "Please Look. Can You See Us Etc"
> "Robert Urich Says No. We Were So Close"
> "Rules And Suggestions For The Enjoyment Of This Book"
>
> 7. "Struggle For Existence"
> "Instinct"
> "Laws Of Variation"
>
> 8. "Arrival Of A Foundling"
> "Catherine Becomes A Lady"
> "Mr Lockwood Takes His Leave"

Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

> 9. "Economy"
> "The Ponds"
> "Where I Lived, and What I Lived For"

On Walden Pond, Thoreau

--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>
Author: =======================

Marc Dashevsky

Nov 30, 2012, 12:03:47 PM11/30/12
In article <87y5hj9...@gmail.com>, gwo...@gmail.com says...
Richard Wagner

> 2. "Miracle Cure"
> "Go To The Mirror!"
> "1921"
>
> 3. "Higher Than The Sun (a Dub Symphony in Two Parts)"
> "Damaged"
> "Loaded"
>
> 4. "Ur So Gay"
> "Waking Up In Vegas"
> "Hot n Cold"
>
> 5. "Freedom"
> "Careless Whisper"
> "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go"
>
> 6. "Good Bye Pork Pie Hat"
> "Open Letter To Duke"
> "Better Git In Your Soul"
>
> 7. "Time Of The Preacher"
> "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain"
> "Denver"
Willie Nelson
Dante

> 4. "The Abyss Gazes Also"
> "At Midnight, All The Agents"
> "A Brother To Dragons"
>
> 5. "A Game Of Chess"
> "The Fire Sermon"
> "Death By Water"
>
> 6. "Please Look. Can You See Us Etc"
> "Robert Urich Says No. We Were So Close"
> "Rules And Suggestions For The Enjoyment Of This Book"
>
> 7. "Struggle For Existence"
> "Instinct"
> "Laws Of Variation"
>
> 8. "Arrival Of A Foundling"
> "Catherine Becomes A Lady"
> "Mr Lockwood Takes His Leave"
Oliver Twist

> 9. "Economy"
> "The Ponds"
> "Where I Lived, and What I Lived For"
>
> 10. "Why Do Drug Dealers Still Live With Their Moms?"
> "What Makes A Perfect Parent?"
> "How Is The Ku Klux Klan Like A Group Of Real-Estate Agents?"
>

> Part The Third: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
>
> 1. "Warldorf Salad"
> "The Wedding Party"
> "The Germans"
>
> 2. "The Contest"
> "The Junior Mint"
> "The Merv Griffin Show"
Jerry Seinfeld

Mark Brader

Nov 30, 2012, 12:09:48 PM11/30/12
Gareth Owen:
> TL;DR: *** Points for the name of the Greater Work ***
> *** AND the Creator of that work. ***

Too late; don't remember?

> Part The First: Musical Memories
>
> 1. "Siegfried"
> "Die Walküre"
> "Das Rheingold"

"The Ring of the Nibelung", Wagner.

> 4. "Ur So Gay"
> "Waking Up In Vegas"
> "Hot n Cold"

Madonna?

> 5. "Freedom"
> "Careless Whisper"
> "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go"

George Michaels.

> Part The Second: Literary Escapades
>
> 1. "Eclipse"
> "New Moon"
> "Breaking Dawn"

"Twilight", Meyer. And no, I haven't read them.

> 2. "Book I. Containing as much of the birth of the foundling as is
> necessary or proper to acquaint the reader with in the
> beginning of this History"
> "Book II. Containing scenes of matrimonial felicity in different
> degrees of life; and various other transactions during
> the first two years after the marriage between Captain
> Blifil and Miss Bridget Allworthy.
> "Book V. Containing a portion of time somewhat longer than half
> a year."

"Oliver Twist", Dickens?

> 3. "Inferno"
> "Purgatorio"
> "Paradiso"

Dante.

At the job where I worked about 30 years ago, there was a hamburger
place where some of us went for lunch sometimes, a couple of blocks
from the office. I haven't been to the location since and have no
idea idea whether the place is still there. It was called "Dante's
Inferno". The burgers were good, but the service was so slow that
I when I started calling the place "Andante's", everyone understood.

> 5. "A Game Of Chess"
> "The Fire Sermon"
> "Death By Water"

"Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", Rowling?

> 8. "Arrival Of A Foundling"
> "Catherine Becomes A Lady"
> "Mr Lockwood Takes His Leave"

"Wuthering Heights", Charlotte Bronte?

> Part The Third: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
>
> 1. "Warldorf Salad"
> "The Wedding Party"
> "The Germans"

"Fawlty Towers", Cleese.

> 2. "The Contest"
> "The Junior Mint"
> "The Merv Griffin Show"

"Seinfeld", Seinfeld.

> 5. "Marine One"
> "The Good Soldier"
> "A Gettysburg Address"

"NCIS", Bellisario?
--
Mark Brader | "...people continue to wish that C were something it is not,
Toronto | not realizing that if C were what they thought they wanted
| be using it in the first place." -- Steve Summit

Mark Brader

Nov 30, 2012, 12:10:59 PM11/30/12
Mark Brader:
> Madonna?

No, Katy Perry! Oh well.
--
Mark Brader | "Simple things should be simple." -- Alan Kay, on UIs
m...@vex.net | "Too many ... try to make complex things simple ...
| -- Jeff Prothero

Gareth Owen

Nov 30, 2012, 12:17:35 PM11/30/12
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> Gareth Owen:
>> TL;DR: *** Points for the name of the Greater Work ***
>> *** AND the Creator of that work. ***
>
> Too late; don't remember?

"Too Long, Didn't Read" - i.e. "Executive Summary of the above for
people who just tend to just scroll down to where the questions start
(e.g. me)"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tl%3Bdr

Mark Brader

Nov 30, 2012, 3:53:09 PM11/30/12
Mark Brader:
> > Too late; don't remember?

Gareth Owen:
> "Too Long, Didn't Read" - i.e. "Executive Summary of the above for
> people who just tend to just scroll down to where the questions start
> (e.g. me)"

Ah. I've only seen that used as a one-word response to a posting.
--
Mark Brader | A standard is established on sure bases, not capriciously
Toronto | but with the surety of something intentional and of a logic
| necessary for order in human effort. -- Le Corbusier

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 30, 2012, 4:04:39 PM11/30/12
Gareth Owen (gwo...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1. "Siegfried"
> "Die Walküre"
> "Das Rheingold"

Wagner

> 5. "Freedom"
> "Careless Whisper"
> "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go"

Wham!

> 6. "Good Bye Pork Pie Hat"
> "Open Letter To Duke"
> "Better Git In Your Soul"

Charlie Parker

> 9. "Girl"
> "The Word"
> "What Goes On"

Marvin Gaye

> 3. "Inferno"
> "Purgatorio"
> "Paradiso"

Dante Algheri, Inferno

swp

Nov 30, 2012, 6:40:03 PM11/30/12
On Friday, November 30, 2012 11:11:59 AM UTC-5, Gareth Owen wrote:
> Part The First: Musical Memories
>
> 1. "Siegfried"
> "Die Walküre"
> "Das Rheingold"

der ring des nibelungen by wagner

> 2. "Miracle Cure"
> "Go To The Mirror!"
> "1921"

tommy by the who

> 3. "Higher Than The Sun (a Dub Symphony in Two Parts)"
> "Damaged"
> "Loaded"

screamadelica? by primal scream

> 4. "Ur So Gay"
> "Waking Up In Vegas"
> "Hot n Cold"

one of the boys by katy perry (no relation)

> 5. "Freedom"
> "Careless Whisper"
> "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go"

make it big by wham!

> 6. "Good Bye Pork Pie Hat"
> "Open Letter To Duke"
> "Better Git In Your Soul"

*** jazz hands ***

> 7. "Time Of The Preacher"
> "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain"
> "Denver"

red headed stranger by willie nelson

> 8. "Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos"
> "Mind Terrorist"
> "Don't Believe The Hype"

by public enemy

> 9. "Girl"
> "The Word"
> "What Goes On"

rubber soul by the beatles

> 10. "Nimrod"
> "G.R.S"
> "* * *"

this has to be the classical music entry

> Part The Second: Literary Escapades
>
> 1. "Eclipse"
> "New Moon"
> "Breaking Dawn"

twilight saga by stephanie meyer

> 2. "Book I. Containing as much of the birth of the foundling as is
> necessary or proper to acquaint the reader with in the
> beginning of this History"
> "Book II. Containing scenes of matrimonial felicity in different
> degrees of life; and various other transactions during
> the first two years after the marriage between Captain
> Blifil and Miss Bridget Allworthy.
> "Book V. Containing a portion of time somewhat longer than half
> a year."

tom jones by ... argh!

> 3. "Inferno"
> "Purgatorio"
> "Paradiso"

the divine comedy by dante alighieri

> 4. "The Abyss Gazes Also"
> "At Midnight, All The Agents"
> "A Brother To Dragons"

watchmen by alan moore

> 5. "A Game Of Chess"
> "The Fire Sermon"
> "Death By Water"

harry potter and the sorcerer's stone by j.k. rowling

> 6. "Please Look. Can You See Us Etc"
> "Robert Urich Says No. We Were So Close"
> "Rules And Suggestions For The Enjoyment Of This Book"

eggars??

> 7. "Struggle For Existence"
> "Instinct"
> "Laws Of Variation"

origin of the species by chuck darwin

> 8. "Arrival Of A Foundling"
> "Catherine Becomes A Lady"
> "Mr Lockwood Takes His Leave"

wuthering heights by emily bronte

> 9. "Economy"
> "The Ponds"
> "Where I Lived, and What I Lived For"

walden by h.d. thoreau

> 10. "Why Do Drug Dealers Still Live With Their Moms?"
> "What Makes A Perfect Parent?"
> "How Is The Ku Klux Klan Like A Group Of Real-Estate Agents?"

freakonomics by levitt

> Part The Third: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
>
> 1. "Warldorf Salad"
> "The Wedding Party"
> "The Germans"

fawlty towers starring john cleese

> 2. "The Contest"
> "The Junior Mint"
> "The Merv Griffin Show"

seinfeld starring jerry seinfeld

> 3. "Numbers"
> "Namaste"
> "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham"

Lost (the abc show)

> 4. "Carentan"
> "Bastogne"
> "The Last Patrol"

band of brothers (hbo)

> 5. "Marine One"
> "The Good Soldier"
> "A Gettysburg Address"

homeland (showtime)

swp, who has heard many of these, read a few, and watched even fewer

Stan Brown

Nov 30, 2012, 8:40:41 PM11/30/12
On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 16:11:59 +0000, Gareth Owen wrote:

> TL;DR: *** Points for the name of the Greater Work ***
> *** AND the Creator of that work. ***
>
> Part The First: Musical Memories
>
> 1. "Siegfried"
> "Die Walk�re"
> "Das Rheingold"

The Ring of the Nibelungs; Wagner
Twilight;Pope Pius XII

> 2. "Book I. Containing as much of the birth of the foundling as is
> necessary or proper to acquaint the reader with in the
> beginning of this History"
> "Book II. Containing scenes of matrimonial felicity in different
> degrees of life; and various other transactions during
> the first two years after the marriage between Captain
> Blifil and Miss Bridget Allworthy.
> "Book V. Containing a portion of time somewhat longer than half
> a year."

Tom Jones?;Fielding

> 3. "Inferno"
> "Purgatorio"
> "Paradiso"

The Divine Comedy; Dante

> 4. "The Abyss Gazes Also"
> "At Midnight, All The Agents"
> "A Brother To Dragons"
>
> 5. "A Game Of Chess"
> "The Fire Sermon"
> "Death By Water"
>
> 6. "Please Look. Can You See Us Etc"
> "Robert Urich Says No. We Were So Close"
> "Rules And Suggestions For The Enjoyment Of This Book"
>
> 7. "Struggle For Existence"
> "Instinct"
> "Laws Of Variation"

The Origin of Species ...; Darwin

> 8. "Arrival Of A Foundling"
> "Catherine Becomes A Lady"
> "Mr Lockwood Takes His Leave"
>
> 9. "Economy"
> "The Ponds"
> "Where I Lived, and What I Lived For"

Walden;Thoreau

> 10. "Why Do Drug Dealers Still Live With Their Moms?"
> "What Makes A Perfect Parent?"
> "How Is The Ku Klux Klan Like A Group Of Real-Estate Agents?"
>

> Part The Third: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
>
> 1. "Warldorf Salad"
> "The Wedding Party"
> "The Germans"
>
> 2. "The Contest"
> "The Junior Mint"
> "The Merv Griffin Show"

Seinfeld;Larry David & Jerry Seinfeld

> 3. "Numbers"
> "Namaste"
> "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham"
>
> 4. "Carentan"
> "Bastogne"
> "The Last Patrol"
>
> 5. "Marine One"
> "The Good Soldier"
> "A Gettysburg Address"

The West Wing?

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Peter Smyth

Dec 1, 2012, 5:37:01 AM12/1/12
"Gareth Owen" wrote in message news:87y5hj9...@gmail.com...
>TL;DR: *** Points for the name of the Greater Work ***
> *** AND the Creator of that work. ***
>
>Part The First: Musical Memories
>
>1. "Siegfried"
> "Die Walküre"
> "Das Rheingold"
Ring Cycle / Wagner
>2. "Miracle Cure"
> "Go To The Mirror!"
> "1921"
>
>3. "Higher Than The Sun (a Dub Symphony in Two Parts)"
> "Damaged"
> "Loaded"
>
>4. "Ur So Gay"
> "Waking Up In Vegas"
> "Hot n Cold"
>
>5. "Freedom"
> "Careless Whisper"
> "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go"
??? / George Michael
>6. "Good Bye Pork Pie Hat"
> "Open Letter To Duke"
> "Better Git In Your Soul"
>
>7. "Time Of The Preacher"
> "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain"
> "Denver"
>
>8. "Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos"
> "Mind Terrorist"
> "Don't Believe The Hype"
>
>9. "Girl"
> "The Word"
> "What Goes On"
Rubber Soul / The Beatles
>10. "Nimrod"
> "G.R.S"
> "* * *"
Enigma Variations / Elgar

>Part The Second: Literary Escapades
>
>1. "Eclipse"
> "New Moon"
> "Breaking Dawn"
Twilight Saga / ???
Fawlty Towers / John Cleese
>2. "The Contest"
> "The Junior Mint"
> "The Merv Griffin Show"
Seinfeld / Larry David
>3. "Numbers"
> "Namaste"
> "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham"
Lost / JJ Abrams
>4. "Carentan"
> "Bastogne"
> "The Last Patrol"
>
>5. "Marine One"
> "The Good Soldier"
> "A Gettysburg Address"
Homeland

Peter Smyth

John Masters

Dec 1, 2012, 6:21:51 AM12/1/12
On 2012-11-30 16:11:59 +0000, Gareth Owen said:

> TL;DR: *** Points for the name of the Greater Work ***
> *** AND the Creator of that work. ***
>
> Part The First: Musical Memories
>
> 1. "Siegfried"
> "Die Walküre"
> "Das Rheingold"

The Ring Cycle - Richard Wagner

> 2. "Miracle Cure"
> "Go To The Mirror!"
> "1921"

Tommy - The Who

> 3. "Higher Than The Sun (a Dub Symphony in Two Parts)"
> "Damaged"
> "Loaded"
>
> 4. "Ur So Gay"
> "Waking Up In Vegas"
> "Hot n Cold"
>
> 5. "Freedom"
> "Careless Whisper"
> "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go"

Some rubbish - Wham

> 6. "Good Bye Pork Pie Hat"
> "Open Letter To Duke"
> "Better Git In Your Soul"

? - Charles Mingus

> 7. "Time Of The Preacher"
> "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain"
> "Denver"

? - Willie Nelson

> 8. "Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos"
> "Mind Terrorist"
> "Don't Believe The Hype"
>
> 9. "Girl"
> "The Word"
> "What Goes On"

Rubber Soul - The Beatles (Their best album ever)

> 10. "Nimrod"
> "G.R.S"
> "* * *"

Enigma Variations - Edward Elgar

> Part The Second: Literary Escapades
>
> 1. "Eclipse"
> "New Moon"
> "Breaking Dawn"

Twilight Saga - Stephanie Meyer

> 2. "Book I. Containing as much of the birth of the foundling as is
> necessary or proper to acquaint the reader with in the
> beginning of this History"
> "Book II. Containing scenes of matrimonial felicity in different
> degrees of life; and various other transactions during
> the first two years after the marriage between Captain
> Blifil and Miss Bridget Allworthy.
> "Book V. Containing a portion of time somewhat longer than half
> a year."

Tom Jones - Henry Fielding

> 3. "Inferno"
> "Purgatorio"
> "Paradiso"

The Divine Comedy - Dante

> 4. "The Abyss Gazes Also"
> "At Midnight, All The Agents"
> "A Brother To Dragons"
>
> 5. "A Game Of Chess"
> "The Fire Sermon"
> "Death By Water"
>
> 6. "Please Look. Can You See Us Etc"
> "Robert Urich Says No. We Were So Close"
> "Rules And Suggestions For The Enjoyment Of This Book"
>
> 7. "Struggle For Existence"
> "Instinct"
> "Laws Of Variation"
>
> 8. "Arrival Of A Foundling"
> "Catherine Becomes A Lady"
> "Mr Lockwood Takes His Leave"

Wuthering Heights - Charlotte Bront�

> 9. "Economy"
> "The Ponds"
> "Where I Lived, and What I Lived For"
>
> 10. "Why Do Drug Dealers Still Live With Their Moms?"
> "What Makes A Perfect Parent?"
> "How Is The Ku Klux Klan Like A Group Of Real-Estate Agents?"
>

> Part The Third: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
>
> 1. "Warldorf Salad"
> "The Wedding Party"
> "The Germans"

Fawlty Towers - John Cleese

> 2. "The Contest"
> "The Junior Mint"
> "The Merv Griffin Show"
>
> 3. "Numbers"
> "Namaste"
> "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham"
>
> 4. "Carentan"
> "Bastogne"
> "The Last Patrol"
>
> 5. "Marine One"
> "The Good Soldier"
> "A Gettysburg Address"

Mash?

--
John Masters

Of those who say nothing, few are silent.
- Thomas Neill

robpparker SPAM @foroptusnet.com.aume Rob Parker

Dec 2, 2012, 12:57:44 AM12/2/12
> Part The First: Musical Memories
>
> 1. "Siegfried"
> "Die Walk�re"
> "Das Rheingold"

The Ring, by Richard Wagner

> 2. "Miracle Cure"
> "Go To The Mirror!"
> "1921"

Tommy, by The Who

> 5. "Freedom"
> "Careless Whisper"
> "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go"

?, by Wham

> 6. "Good Bye Pork Pie Hat"
> "Open Letter To Duke"
> "Better Git In Your Soul"

?, by Charlie Mingus

> 9. "Girl"
> "The Word"
> "What Goes On"

Rubber Soul, by The Beatles

> Part The Second: Literary Escapades
>
> 2. "Book I. Containing as much of the birth of the foundling as is
> necessary or proper to acquaint the reader with in the
> beginning of this History"
> "Book II. Containing scenes of matrimonial felicity in different
> degrees of life; and various other transactions during
> the first two years after the marriage between Captain
> Blifil and Miss Bridget Allworthy.
> "Book V. Containing a portion of time somewhat longer than half
> a year."

Tom Jones, by Henry Fielding

> 3. "Inferno"
> "Purgatorio"
> "Paradiso"

The Divine comedy, by Dante

> 7. "Struggle For Existence"
> "Instinct"
> "Laws Of Variation"

On the Origin of Species, by Charles Darwin

> 8. "Arrival Of A Foundling"
> "Catherine Becomes A Lady"
> "Mr Lockwood Takes His Leave"

Wuthering Heights, by Emily (?) Bronte

> Part The Third: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
>
> 1. "Warldorf Salad"
> "The Wedding Party"
> "The Germans"

Fawlty Towers, by John Cleese & Connie Booth

> 2. "The Contest"
> "The Junior Mint"
> "The Merv Griffin Show"

Seinfeld, by Jerry Seinfeld

> 3. "Numbers"
> "Namaste"
> "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham"

Seinfeld, by Jerry Seinfeld

Rob

Pete

Dec 2, 2012, 12:47:20 PM12/2/12
Gareth Owen <gwo...@gmail.com> wrote in news:87y5hj9...@gmail.com:
Der Ring des Nibelungen, Richard Wagner

> 2. "Miracle Cure"
> "Go To The Mirror!"
> "1921"

Tommy, The Who

> 3. "Higher Than The Sun (a Dub Symphony in Two Parts)"
> "Damaged"
> "Loaded"
>
> 4. "Ur So Gay"
> "Waking Up In Vegas"
> "Hot n Cold"
>
> 5. "Freedom"
> "Careless Whisper"
> "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go"
>
> 6. "Good Bye Pork Pie Hat"
> "Open Letter To Duke"
> "Better Git In Your Soul"
>
> 7. "Time Of The Preacher"
> "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain"
> "Denver"
>
> 8. "Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos"
> "Mind Terrorist"
> "Don't Believe The Hype"
>
> 9. "Girl"
> "The Word"
> "What Goes On"

Rubber Soul, The Beatles

> 10. "Nimrod"
> "G.R.S"
> "* * *"

Enigma Variations, Sir Edward Elgar

> Part The Second: Literary Escapades
>
> 1. "Eclipse"
> "New Moon"
> "Breaking Dawn"

Twilight

> 2. "Book I. Containing as much of the birth of the foundling as is
> necessary or proper to acquaint the reader with in the
> beginning of this History"
> "Book II. Containing scenes of matrimonial felicity in different
> degrees of life; and various other transactions during
> the first two years after the marriage between Captain
> Blifil and Miss Bridget Allworthy.
> "Book V. Containing a portion of time somewhat longer than half
> a year."
>
> 3. "Inferno"
> "Purgatorio"
> "Paradiso"
>
> 4. "The Abyss Gazes Also"
> "At Midnight, All The Agents"
> "A Brother To Dragons"
>
> 5. "A Game Of Chess"
> "The Fire Sermon"
> "Death By Water"

Angels and Demons, Brown

> 6. "Please Look. Can You See Us Etc"
> "Robert Urich Says No. We Were So Close"
> "Rules And Suggestions For The Enjoyment Of This Book"
>
> 7. "Struggle For Existence"
> "Instinct"
> "Laws Of Variation"
>
> 8. "Arrival Of A Foundling"
> "Catherine Becomes A Lady"
> "Mr Lockwood Takes His Leave"
>
> 9. "Economy"
> "The Ponds"
> "Where I Lived, and What I Lived For"
>
> 10. "Why Do Drug Dealers Still Live With Their Moms?"
> "What Makes A Perfect Parent?"
> "How Is The Ku Klux Klan Like A Group Of Real-Estate Agents?"
>

> Part The Third: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
>
> 1. "Warldorf Salad"
> "The Wedding Party"
> "The Germans"
>
> 2. "The Contest"
> "The Junior Mint"
> "The Merv Griffin Show"

Seinfeld, Jerry Seinfeld

> 3. "Numbers"
> "Namaste"
> "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham"
>
> 4. "Carentan"
> "Bastogne"
> "The Last Patrol"

Band of Brothers, Spielberg

> 5. "Marine One"
> "The Good Soldier"
> "A Gettysburg Address"

Pete

Jeffrey Turner

Dec 2, 2012, 5:23:18 PM12/2/12
Wagner, The Ring Cycle
Twilight series

> 2. "Book I. Containing as much of the birth of the foundling as is
> necessary or proper to acquaint the reader with in the
> beginning of this History"
> "Book II. Containing scenes of matrimonial felicity in different
> degrees of life; and various other transactions during
> the first two years after the marriage between Captain
> Blifil and Miss Bridget Allworthy.
> "Book V. Containing a portion of time somewhat longer than half
> a year."
>
> 3. "Inferno"
> "Purgatorio"
> "Paradiso"

Dante Alighieri

> 4. "The Abyss Gazes Also"
> "At Midnight, All The Agents"
> "A Brother To Dragons"
>
> 5. "A Game Of Chess"
> "The Fire Sermon"
> "Death By Water"
>
> 6. "Please Look. Can You See Us Etc"
> "Robert Urich Says No. We Were So Close"
> "Rules And Suggestions For The Enjoyment Of This Book"
>
> 7. "Struggle For Existence"
> "Instinct"
> "Laws Of Variation"
>
> 8. "Arrival Of A Foundling"
> "Catherine Becomes A Lady"
> "Mr Lockwood Takes His Leave"
>
> 9. "Economy"
> "The Ponds"
> "Where I Lived, and What I Lived For"
>
> 10. "Why Do Drug Dealers Still Live With Their Moms?"
> "What Makes A Perfect Parent?"
> "How Is The Ku Klux Klan Like A Group Of Real-Estate Agents?"

Freakonomics

> Part The Third: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
>
> 1. "Warldorf Salad"
> "The Wedding Party"
> "The Germans"
>
> 2. "The Contest"
> "The Junior Mint"
> "The Merv Griffin Show"
>
> 3. "Numbers"
> "Namaste"
> "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham"
>
> 4. "Carentan"
> "Bastogne"
> "The Last Patrol"
>
> 5. "Marine One"
> "The Good Soldier"
> "A Gettysburg Address"

--Jeff

Joachim Parsch

Dec 3, 2012, 2:11:59 AM12/3/12

Gareth Owen schrieb:
Richard Wagner: Der Ring des Nibelungen

> 2. "Miracle Cure"
> "Go To The Mirror!"
> "1921"
>
> 3. "Higher Than The Sun (a Dub Symphony in Two Parts)"
> "Damaged"
> "Loaded"
>
> 4. "Ur So Gay"
> "Waking Up In Vegas"
> "Hot n Cold"
>
> 5. "Freedom"
> "Careless Whisper"
> "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go"

Wham: ?

> 6. "Good Bye Pork Pie Hat"
> "Open Letter To Duke"
> "Better Git In Your Soul"
>
> 7. "Time Of The Preacher"
> "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain"
> "Denver"
>
> 8. "Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos"
> "Mind Terrorist"
> "Don't Believe The Hype"
>
> 9. "Girl"
> "The Word"
> "What Goes On"

Beatles: Rubber Soul

> 10. "Nimrod"
> "G.R.S"
> "* * *"
>
> Part The Second: Literary Escapades
>
> 1. "Eclipse"
> "New Moon"
> "Breaking Dawn"

Stephenie Meyers: Twilight Saga

> 2. "Book I. Containing as much of the birth of the foundling as is
> necessary or proper to acquaint the reader with in the
> beginning of this History"
> "Book II. Containing scenes of matrimonial felicity in different
> degrees of life; and various other transactions during
> the first two years after the marriage between Captain
> Blifil and Miss Bridget Allworthy.
> "Book V. Containing a portion of time somewhat longer than half
> a year."

Laurence Sterne: Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman

> 3. "Inferno"
> "Purgatorio"
> "Paradiso"

Dante: Divine Comedy

> 4. "The Abyss Gazes Also"
> "At Midnight, All The Agents"
> "A Brother To Dragons"
>
> 5. "A Game Of Chess"
> "The Fire Sermon"
> "Death By Water"
>
> 6. "Please Look. Can You See Us Etc"
> "Robert Urich Says No. We Were So Close"
> "Rules And Suggestions For The Enjoyment Of This Book"
>
> 7. "Struggle For Existence"
> "Instinct"
> "Laws Of Variation"
>
> 8. "Arrival Of A Foundling"
> "Catherine Becomes A Lady"
> "Mr Lockwood Takes His Leave"

Emily Bronte: Wuthering Heights

> 9. "Economy"
> "The Ponds"
> "Where I Lived, and What I Lived For"
>
> 10. "Why Do Drug Dealers Still Live With Their Moms?"
> "What Makes A Perfect Parent?"
> "How Is The Ku Klux Klan Like A Group Of Real-Estate Agents?"
>
> Part The Third: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
>
> 1. "Warldorf Salad"
> "The Wedding Party"
> "The Germans"

Fawlty Towers?

> 2. "The Contest"
> "The Junior Mint"
> "The Merv Griffin Show"
>
> 3. "Numbers"
> "Namaste"
> "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham"
>
> 4. "Carentan"
> "Bastogne"
> "The Last Patrol"
>
> 5. "Marine One"
> "The Good Soldier"
> "A Gettysburg Address"

Joachim

David B

Dec 3, 2012, 10:41:24 AM12/3/12
2. "Miracle Cure"
"Go To The Mirror!"
"1921"

The Who - Tommy?

3. "Higher Than The Sun (a Dub Symphony in Two Parts)"
"Damaged"
"Loaded"

Primal Scream - Screamadelica?

5. "Freedom"
"Careless Whisper"
"Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go"

Wham!

8. "Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos"
"Mind Terrorist"
"Don't Believe The Hype"

Public Enemy.

9. "Girl"
"The Word"
"What Goes On"

The Beatles - Rubber Soul?

1. "Warldorf Salad"
"The Wedding Party"
"The Germans"

Fawtly Towers - John Cleese.

calvin

Dec 3, 2012, 5:57:57 PM12/3/12
On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 02:11:59 +1000, Gareth Owen <gwo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Part The First: Musical Memories
>
> 1. "Siegfried"
> "Die Walküre"
> "Das Rheingold"

Wagner's Ring Cycle

> 2. "Miracle Cure"
> "Go To The Mirror!"
> "1921"

The Cure?

> 3. "Higher Than The Sun (a Dub Symphony in Two Parts)"
> "Damaged"
> "Loaded"

The Whitlams?

> 4. "Ur So Gay"
> "Waking Up In Vegas"
> "Hot n Cold"
>
> 5. "Freedom"
> "Careless Whisper"
> "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go"

George Michael and/or Wham!

> 6. "Good Bye Pork Pie Hat"
> "Open Letter To Duke"
> "Better Git In Your Soul"

David Bowie?

> 7. "Time Of The Preacher"
> "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain"
> "Denver"
>
> 8. "Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos"
> "Mind Terrorist"
> "Don't Believe The Hype"
>
> 9. "Girl"
> "The Word"
> "What Goes On"
>
> 10. "Nimrod"
> "G.R.S"
> "* * *"
>

> Part The Second: Literary Escapades
>
> 1. "Eclipse"
> "New Moon"
> "Breaking Dawn"

Stephenie Meyer, Twilight

> 2. "Book I. Containing as much of the birth of the foundling as is
> necessary or proper to acquaint the reader with in the
> beginning of this History"
> "Book II. Containing scenes of matrimonial felicity in different
> degrees of life; and various other transactions during
> the first two years after the marriage between Captain
> Blifil and Miss Bridget Allworthy.
> "Book V. Containing a portion of time somewhat longer than half
> a year."

Henry Fielding's Tom Jones?

> 3. "Inferno"
> "Purgatorio"
> "Paradiso"

Dante's Inferno

> 4. "The Abyss Gazes Also"
> "At Midnight, All The Agents"
> "A Brother To Dragons"
>
> 5. "A Game Of Chess"
> "The Fire Sermon"
> "Death By Water"

Donaldson?

> 6. "Please Look. Can You See Us Etc"
> "Robert Urich Says No. We Were So Close"
> "Rules And Suggestions For The Enjoyment Of This Book"
>
> 7. "Struggle For Existence"
> "Instinct"
> "Laws Of Variation"
>
> 8. "Arrival Of A Foundling"
> "Catherine Becomes A Lady"
> "Mr Lockwood Takes His Leave"

Jane Austen, Persuasion?

> 9. "Economy"
> "The Ponds"
> "Where I Lived, and What I Lived For"
>
> 10. "Why Do Drug Dealers Still Live With Their Moms?"
> "What Makes A Perfect Parent?"
> "How Is The Ku Klux Klan Like A Group Of Real-Estate Agents?"

Stephen Levitt (sp?) Freakenomics

> Part The Third: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
>
> 1. "Warldorf Salad"
> "The Wedding Party"
> "The Germans"

John Cleese's Fawlty Towers

> 2. "The Contest"
> "The Junior Mint"
> "The Merv Griffin Show"

Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David, Seinfeld

> 3. "Numbers"
> "Namaste"
> "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham"
>
> 4. "Carentan"
> "Bastogne"
> "The Last Patrol"
>
> 5. "Marine One"
> "The Good Soldier"
> "A Gettysburg Address"

The Sopranos?

--
cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Dec 4, 2012, 1:03:19 AM12/4/12
Ring Cycle
Wagner

> 2. "Miracle Cure"
> "Go To The Mirror!"
> "1921"

Tommy
The Who
Devine Comedy
Dante
--
Dan Tilque

How did I get into this mess? Miles isn't even /here/.
-- Ivan in _Captain Vorpatril's Alliance_, Lois McMaster Bujold

Gareth Owen

Dec 10, 2012, 2:07:20 PM12/10/12
First, the answers: Wherever there are multiple creators, full credit
was given for any individual correct.

1. "Siegfried"
"Die Walküre"
"Das Rheingold"

Richard Wagner - "Der Ring des Nibelungen", an operatic cycle based on
Norse mythology. This was the easiest question on the quiz.

2. "Miracle Cure"
"Go To The Mirror!"
"1921"

The Who - "Tommy", a rock opera about a deaf dumb and blind kid who
unfeasibly parlays a unlikely skill at pinball into implausible
semi-Messianic status

3. "Higher Than The Sun (a Dub Symphony in Two Parts)"
"Damaged"
"Loaded"

Primal Scream - "Screamadelica", a magnificent rock, acid house, dub
fusion double album, "frequently acknowledged as one of the best albums
of the 1990s" (wikipedia)

4. "Ur So Gay"
"Waking Up In Vegas"
"Hot n Cold"

Katy Perry - "One Of The Boys". She kissed a girl and she liked it.
She married Russell Brand with somewhat more mixed results.

5. "Freedom"
"Careless Whisper"
"Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go"

Wham - "Make It Big". I gave partial credit for George Michael.
(He kissed a girl, and decided it really wasn't for him.)

6. "Good Bye Pork Pie Hat"
"Open Letter To Duke"
"Better Git In Your Soul"

Charles Mingus - "Mingus Ah Um".
Possibly the third best Jazz album of 1959...

7. "Time Of The Preacher"
"Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain"
"Denver"

Willie Nelson - "The Red Headed Stranger". The greatest
outlaw-country-concept-album of all time, a multi-platinum seller that
spawned a movie starring Nelson himself.

8. "Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos"
"Mind Terrorist"
"Don't Believe The Hype"

Public Enemy - "It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back".
"Possibly the greatest rap album ever made. Balancing political
incisiveness with rock dynamics, it crossed the race divide and
almost instantly made all other rap acts sound tame. For a brief
spell hip hop was about more than guns and bling." BBC Online

9. "Girl"
"The Word"
"What Goes On"

The Beatles - "Rubber Soul". Moderately successful beat combo from
Merseyside. John Masters called it "Their best album ever", an
assessment with which I agree.

10. "Nimrod"
"G.R.S"
"* * *"

Edward Elgar - "The Enigma Variations", a series of musical pieces
inspired by Elgar's friends, and given titles that hint at the person
concerned.

Part The Second: Literary Escapades

1. "Eclipse"
"New Moon"
"Breaking Dawn"

Stephanie Meyer - The Twilight Saga. Very popular with the young
people, I'm led to understand.

2. "Book I. Containing as much of the birth of the foundling as is
necessary or proper to acquaint the reader with in the
beginning of this History"
"Book II. Containing scenes of matrimonial felicity in different
degrees of life; and various other transactions during
the first two years after the marriage between Captain
Blifil and Miss Bridget Allworthy.
"Book V. Containing a portion of time somewhat longer than half
a year."

Henry Fielding - "The History Of Tom Jones, a foundling". The word
'foundling' was a deliberate if somewhat opaque clue. I accept "Tom
Jones", by which the work is widely known.

3. "Inferno"
"Purgatorio"
"Paradiso"

Dante Alighieri - "The Divine Comedy", in which Dante passes through
Hell, Purgartory and Paradise in pursuit of beloved Beatrice, only to
remember he has left the iron on.

4. "The Abyss Gazes Also"
"At Midnight, All The Agents"
"A Brother To Dragons"

Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons - "Watchmen". Seminal 1980s comic book,
recently filmed. Each title is a short section from a longer quotation,
which appears in full at the chapters end.

5. "A Game Of Chess"
"The Fire Sermon"
"Death By Water"

T.S.Eliot - "The Wasteland". Identified multiple times as Harry
Potter. Probably the best known modern(ist) poem in English, but not on
rec.games.trivia, it seems, as no points were scored on this.

6. "Please Look. Can You See Us Etc"
"Robert Urich Says No. We Were So Close"
"Rules And Suggestions For The Enjoyment Of This Book"

Dave Eggers - "A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius", a
semi-autobiographical memoir/novel that was a literary sensation in 2000.

7. "Struggle For Existence"
"Instinct"
"Laws Of Variation"

Charles Darwin - "On The Origin Of Species, By Means of Natural
Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life".

The most important ever work in biological science, or lies spread by
Satan. Take your pick.

8. "Arrival Of A Foundling"
"Catherine Becomes A Lady"
"Mr Lockwood Takes His Leave"

Emily Bronte - "Wuthering Heights"

9. "Economy"
"The Ponds"
"Where I Lived, and What I Lived For"

Henry Thoreau - "Walden"

10. "Why Do Drug Dealers Still Live With Their Moms?"
"What Makes A Perfect Parent?"
"How Is The Ku Klux Klan Like A Group Of Real-Estate Agents?"

Stephen Dubner & Steven Levitt - "Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist
Explores the Hidden Side of Everything"

Part The Third: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

1. "Warldorf Salad"
"The Wedding Party"
"The Germans"

John Cleese & Connie Booth - "Fawlty Towers".

2. "The Contest"
"The Junior Mint"
"The Merv Griffin Show"

Jerry Seinfeld & Larry David - "Seinfeld"

3. "Numbers"
"Namaste"
"The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham"

Jeffrey Leiber, JJ Abrams & Damon Lindelhof - "Lost". Rob Parker
identified this as "Seinfeld" too, but I suspect that he was just making
an ironic aside about "Shows with wildly disappointing final episodes"

4. "Carentan"
"Bastogne"
"The Last Patrol"

Stephen Ambrose, Stephen Spielberg - "Band Of Brothers"

5. "Marine One"
"The Good Soldier"
"A Gettysburg Address"

Howard Gordon and Alex Gansa - "Homeland". Increasing implausible would
be a polite description.
1 1
1234567890 1234567890 12345
---------- ---------- -----
Chris Johnson 2200010000 0220000020 00000 = 11
Marc Dashevsky 1000001000 0010000001 00000 = 4
Mark Brader 2000100000 2010000100 22000 = 11
Erland Sommarskog 1000100000 0020000000 00000 = 4
swp 2222202120 2122012222 22111 = 38 - a magnificent score
Stan Brown 2000000000 1220002020 02000 = 13
Peter Smith 2000100022 1000000000 22201 = 15
John Masters 2200111022 2220000100 20000 = 20
Rob Parker 2200110020 0222000200 22000 = 20
Pete 2200000022 1000000000 02020 = 13
Jeffrey Turner 2000000000 1010000001 00000 = 5
Joachim Parsch 2000100020 2020000200 10000 = 12
David B 0220100120 0000000000 20000 = 10
Calvin 2000100000 2220000002 22000 = 15
Dan Tilque 2200000000 0020000000 00000 = 4

Thanks for playing.

I'll entertain any reasonable corrections or disputes, though I'm
confident it won't change the fact that

THE WINNER IS : SWP

Mark Brader

Dec 10, 2012, 2:19:48 PM12/10/12
Gareth Owen:
> First, the answers: Wherever there are multiple creators, full credit
> was given for any individual correct.

> Wham - "Make It Big". I gave partial credit for George Michael.

Correction: in accordance with your stated policy, you gave a full
point for George Michael.
--
Mark Brader | "The inability to distinguish between epistemic and deontic
Toronto | interpretations of 'why', which is common among children,

Gareth Owen

Dec 10, 2012, 2:24:15 PM12/10/12
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> Gareth Owen:
>> First, the answers: Wherever there are multiple creators, full credit
>> was given for any individual correct.
>
>> Wham - "Make It Big". I gave partial credit for George Michael.
>
> Correction: in accordance with your stated policy, you gave a full
> point for George Michael.

Yes, correct correction.