QFTCIMI515 Final, Round 4: Arts & Literature

已查看 32 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Mark Brader

未读,
2015年7月14日 00:22:542015/7/14
收件人
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-03-30,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days (from the first posting).

All questions were written by members of MI5, and are used here by
permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2015-02-23
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 4 - Arts & Literature

* Architecture of Toronto Buildings

The University of Toronto and the surrounding area contains an
amazing variety of architecture. For each photo, just name the
style of architecture it represents. If you want to show off,
for fun but for no points, also name the buildings.

1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/1.jpg
2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/2.jpg
3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/3.jpg

* Literary Deaths

4. He is the patriarch of his noble family and a proud leader
of the North. He is honorable and compassionate, but publicly
confesses to treason in order to keep his daughters safe.
He is executed by sword. Give his *first and last name*, please.

5. This character is a pure-blooded wizard. He gains lifelong
friendship in a group called "the Marauders", who fought together
during the First Wizarding War. He spends 12 years in prison and
escapes by transforming into the form of a massive black dog.
He is murdered by his cousin. Give his *first and last name*,
please.

6. We meet this character in her moldering wedding dress, wearing
one shoe and hoarding everything from the day she was left at
the altar. At the end of the novel, she dies after failing
to realize until it is too late that her wedding dress has
caught fire. Name her.

* Italian-a-Tempo

We define it; you give us the Italian word or phrase. All answers
start with the letter A.

7. What is the most common of the tempo markings that mean "brisk"
or "lively"?

8. What is the most common marking for a slow tempo, literally
meaning "at ease"?

9. What is the most common marking for a moderate pace, literally
meaning "going"?

* Wartime Novels

Tell us which war is featured in each of these novels.

10. "Flashman at the Charge" by George MacDonald Fraser.
11. "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Ernest Hemingway.
12. "In Country" by Bobbie Ann Mason.

* Egyptian Gods

In each case, name the Egyptian god depicted.

13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/13.jpg
14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/14.jpg
15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/15.jpg

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "We don't use clubs; they weren't invented here.
m...@vex.net | We use rocks." -- David Keldsen

Calvin

未读,
2015年7月14日 01:43:192015/7/14
收件人
On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 2:22:54 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 4 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Architecture of Toronto Buildings
>
> The University of Toronto and the surrounding area contains an
> amazing variety of architecture. For each photo, just name the
> style of architecture it represents. If you want to show off,
> for fun but for no points, also name the buildings.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/1.jpg

Gothic revival, Romantic

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/2.jpg

Classical, neo-classical

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/3.jpg

Brutalist, modernist

> * Literary Deaths
>
> 4. He is the patriarch of his noble family and a proud leader
> of the North. He is honorable and compassionate, but publicly
> confesses to treason in order to keep his daughters safe.
> He is executed by sword. Give his *first and last name*, please.
>
> 5. This character is a pure-blooded wizard. He gains lifelong
> friendship in a group called "the Marauders", who fought together
> during the First Wizarding War. He spends 12 years in prison and
> escapes by transforming into the form of a massive black dog.
> He is murdered by his cousin. Give his *first and last name*,
> please.

Dunno, but why didn't he transform 12 years earlier?

> 6. We meet this character in her moldering wedding dress, wearing
> one shoe and hoarding everything from the day she was left at
> the altar. At the end of the novel, she dies after failing
> to realize until it is too late that her wedding dress has
> caught fire. Name her.

Miss Haversham

> * Italian-a-Tempo
>
> We define it; you give us the Italian word or phrase. All answers
> start with the letter A.
>
> 7. What is the most common of the tempo markings that mean "brisk"
> or "lively"?

Allegro, Adagio

> 8. What is the most common marking for a slow tempo, literally
> meaning "at ease"?

Allegro, Adagio

> 9. What is the most common marking for a moderate pace, literally
> meaning "going"?

Allegro, Adagio

> * Wartime Novels
>
> Tell us which war is featured in each of these novels.
>
> 10. "Flashman at the Charge" by George MacDonald Fraser.

Crimean War

> 11. "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Ernest Hemingway.

Spanish Civil War

> 12. "In Country" by Bobbie Ann Mason.

US Civil War, US Revolutionary War

> * Egyptian Gods
>
> In each case, name the Egyptian god depicted.
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/13.jpg

Ra, Isis

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/14.jpg

Ra, Isis

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/15.jpg

Ra, Isis

cheers,
calvin

Marc Dashevsky

未读,
2015年7月14日 03:09:492015/7/14
收件人
In article <SeCdncyiipoAEznI...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Final, Round 4 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Italian-a-Tempo
>
> We define it; you give us the Italian word or phrase. All answers
> start with the letter A.
>
> 7. What is the most common of the tempo markings that mean "brisk"
> or "lively"?
alegro

> 8. What is the most common marking for a slow tempo, literally
> meaning "at ease"?
adagio

> 9. What is the most common marking for a moderate pace, literally
> meaning "going"?
andante

> * Wartime Novels
>
> Tell us which war is featured in each of these novels.
>
> 10. "Flashman at the Charge" by George MacDonald Fraser.
> 11. "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Ernest Hemingway.
Spanish Civil War

> 12. "In Country" by Bobbie Ann Mason.
>

> * Egyptian Gods
>
> In each case, name the Egyptian god depicted.
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/13.jpg
Osiris

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/14.jpg
Anubis; Horus

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/15.jpg
Anubis; Horus

Erland Sommarskog

未读,
2015年7月14日 04:42:542015/7/14
收件人
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Final, Round 4 - Arts & Literature
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/1.jpg

Neo-classical

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/2.jpg

Neo-romanesque

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/3.jpg

Functionalism

> 7. What is the most common of the tempo markings that mean "brisk"
> or "lively"?

Vivace

> 8. What is the most common marking for a slow tempo, literally
> meaning "at ease"?

Adagio

> 9. What is the most common marking for a moderate pace, literally
> meaning "going"?

Andante

> 11. "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Ernest Hemingway.

Boer War

> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/13.jpg

Ra

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/14.jpg

Ra

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/15.jpg

Ra

Mark Brader

未读,
2015年7月14日 06:34:372015/7/14
收件人
Mark Brader:
> > 5. This character is a pure-blooded wizard. He gains lifelong
> > friendship in a group called "the Marauders", who fought together
> > during the First Wizarding War. He spends 12 years in prison and
> > escapes by transforming into the form of a massive black dog.
> > He is murdered by his cousin. Give his *first and last name*,
> > please.

"Calvin":
> Dunno, but why didn't he transform 12 years earlier?

It's been some years since I read the, but there's a detailed writeup
of the plot at:

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_Prisoner_of_Azkaban

He always had the ability to transform into a dog, and indeed had
used it frequently while in prison. What he didn't have before was
a motivation to escape. The reason he was convicted there was that
he had been framed by the person who had really committed the crime.
After 12 years in prison he happened to see the actual criminal in
a news photo, so now he knew where to find him; and that made it
worthwhile to try to escape and go after him.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "You can fool too many of the people
m...@vex.net too much of the time." -- James Thurber

Björn Lundin

未读,
2015年7月14日 09:55:092015/7/14
收件人
Eddard Stark

> 5. This character is a pure-blooded wizard. He gains lifelong
> friendship in a group called "the Marauders", who fought together
> during the First Wizarding War. He spends 12 years in prison and
> escapes by transforming into the form of a massive black dog.
> He is murdered by his cousin. Give his *first and last name*,
> please.

Sirius Black

> 6. We meet this character in her moldering wedding dress, wearing
> one shoe and hoarding everything from the day she was left at
> the altar. At the end of the novel, she dies after failing
> to realize until it is too late that her wedding dress has
> caught fire. Name her.
>

> * Italian-a-Tempo
>
> We define it; you give us the Italian word or phrase. All answers
> start with the letter A.
>
> 7. What is the most common of the tempo markings that mean "brisk"
> or "lively"?

Andante

> 8. What is the most common marking for a slow tempo, literally
> meaning "at ease"?

Andante

> 9. What is the most common marking for a moderate pace, literally
> meaning "going"?

Andante

> * Wartime Novels
>
> Tell us which war is featured in each of these novels.
>
> 10. "Flashman at the Charge" by George MacDonald Fraser.
> 11. "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Ernest Hemingway.

The Spanish Civil War

> 12. "In Country" by Bobbie Ann Mason.
>

> * Egyptian Gods
>
> In each case, name the Egyptian god depicted.
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/13.jpg

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/15.jpg

Horus

Björn

Dan Blum

未读,
2015年7月14日 09:55:252015/7/14
收件人
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 4 - Arts & Literature

> * Architecture of Toronto Buildings

> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/1.jpg

Romanesque

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/2.jpg

Neo-classical; Greek Revival

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/3.jpg

Brutalist

> * Literary Deaths

> 4. He is the patriarch of his noble family and a proud leader
> of the North. He is honorable and compassionate, but publicly
> confesses to treason in order to keep his daughters safe.
> He is executed by sword. Give his *first and last name*, please.

Eddard Stark

> 5. This character is a pure-blooded wizard. He gains lifelong
> friendship in a group called "the Marauders", who fought together
> during the First Wizarding War. He spends 12 years in prison and
> escapes by transforming into the form of a massive black dog.
> He is murdered by his cousin. Give his *first and last name*,
> please.

Sirius Black

> 6. We meet this character in her moldering wedding dress, wearing
> one shoe and hoarding everything from the day she was left at
> the altar. At the end of the novel, she dies after failing
> to realize until it is too late that her wedding dress has
> caught fire. Name her.

Miss Havisham

> * Italian-a-Tempo

> We define it; you give us the Italian word or phrase. All answers
> start with the letter A.

> 7. What is the most common of the tempo markings that mean "brisk"
> or "lively"?

adagio

> 9. What is the most common marking for a moderate pace, literally
> meaning "going"?

adagio

> * Wartime Novels

> Tell us which war is featured in each of these novels.

> 10. "Flashman at the Charge" by George MacDonald Fraser.

Crimean War

> 11. "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Ernest Hemingway.

Spanish Civil War

> 12. "In Country" by Bobbie Ann Mason.

Vietnam War

> * Egyptian Gods

> In each case, name the Egyptian god depicted.

> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/13.jpg

Horus; Ra

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Peter Smyth

未读,
2015年7月14日 13:26:032015/7/14
收件人
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 4 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Architecture of Toronto Buildings
>
> The University of Toronto and the surrounding area contains an
> amazing variety of architecture. For each photo, just name the
> style of architecture it represents. If you want to show off,
> for fun but for no points, also name the buildings.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/1.jpg
> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/2.jpg
> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/3.jpg
>

> * Literary Deaths
>
> 4. He is the patriarch of his noble family and a proud leader
> of the North. He is honorable and compassionate, but publicly
> confesses to treason in order to keep his daughters safe.
> He is executed by sword. Give his *first and last name*, please.
Eddard Stark
> 5. This character is a pure-blooded wizard. He gains lifelong
> friendship in a group called "the Marauders", who fought together
> during the First Wizarding War. He spends 12 years in prison and
> escapes by transforming into the form of a massive black dog.
> He is murdered by his cousin. Give his *first and last name*,
> please.
Sirius Black
> 6. We meet this character in her moldering wedding dress, wearing
> one shoe and hoarding everything from the day she was left at
> the altar. At the end of the novel, she dies after failing
> to realize until it is too late that her wedding dress has
> caught fire. Name her.
>

> * Italian-a-Tempo
>
> We define it; you give us the Italian word or phrase. All answers
> start with the letter A.
>
> 7. What is the most common of the tempo markings that mean "brisk"
> or "lively"?
Allegro
> 8. What is the most common marking for a slow tempo, literally
> meaning "at ease"?
Andante
> 9. What is the most common marking for a moderate pace, literally
> meaning "going"?
Andante

> * Wartime Novels
>
> Tell us which war is featured in each of these novels.
>
> 10. "Flashman at the Charge" by George MacDonald Fraser.
> 11. "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Ernest Hemingway.
> 12. "In Country" by Bobbie Ann Mason.
>

> * Egyptian Gods
>
> In each case, name the Egyptian god depicted.
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/13.jpg
Osiris, Horus
> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/14.jpg
Osiris, Horus
> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/15.jpg
Osiris, Horus

Peter Smyth

swp

未读,
2015年7月14日 16:30:382015/7/14
收件人
On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 12:22:54 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-03-30,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

noted

> ** Final, Round 4 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Architecture of Toronto Buildings
>
> The University of Toronto and the surrounding area contains an
> amazing variety of architecture. For each photo, just name the
> style of architecture it represents. If you want to show off,
> for fun but for no points, also name the buildings.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/1.jpg

neo-classical

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/2.jpg

neo-classical

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/3.jpg

brutal

> * Literary Deaths
>
> 4. He is the patriarch of his noble family and a proud leader
> of the North. He is honorable and compassionate, but publicly
> confesses to treason in order to keep his daughters safe.
> He is executed by sword. Give his *first and last name*, please.

eddard stark

> 5. This character is a pure-blooded wizard. He gains lifelong
> friendship in a group called "the Marauders", who fought together
> during the First Wizarding War. He spends 12 years in prison and
> escapes by transforming into the form of a massive black dog.
> He is murdered by his cousin. Give his *first and last name*,
> please.

sirius black

> 6. We meet this character in her moldering wedding dress, wearing
> one shoe and hoarding everything from the day she was left at
> the altar. At the end of the novel, she dies after failing
> to realize until it is too late that her wedding dress has
> caught fire. Name her.

miss havisham

> * Italian-a-Tempo
>
> We define it; you give us the Italian word or phrase. All answers
> start with the letter A.
>
> 7. What is the most common of the tempo markings that mean "brisk"
> or "lively"?

animato

> 8. What is the most common marking for a slow tempo, literally
> meaning "at ease"?

adagio

> 9. What is the most common marking for a moderate pace, literally
> meaning "going"?

allegretto?

> * Wartime Novels
>
> Tell us which war is featured in each of these novels.
>
> 10. "Flashman at the Charge" by George MacDonald Fraser.

crimean

> 11. "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Ernest Hemingway.

spanish civil war

> 12. "In Country" by Bobbie Ann Mason.

vietnam

> * Egyptian Gods
>
> In each case, name the Egyptian god depicted.
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/13.jpg

osiris

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/14.jpg

anubis

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/15.jpg

ra

swp

Dan Blum

未读,
2015年7月14日 16:39:372015/7/14
收件人

Mark Brader

未读,
2015年7月14日 19:50:022015/7/14
收件人
Erland Sommarskog:
> > Ra
> > Ra
> > Ra

Dan Blum:
> Sis-boom-bah.

"Hail to the sun god!
He is a fun god!
Ra! Ra! Ra!"
--
Mark Brader / This country is planted thick with laws from coast to
Toronto / coast. Man's laws, not God's. And if you cut them down

Mark Brader

未读,
2015年7月14日 19:53:192015/7/14
收件人
Björn Lundin:
> Andante
> Andante
> Andante

About 30 years ago, in a food court near where I was then working,
there was a hamburger place called "Dante's Inferno". I liked
their burgers, but they seemed to need much longer to cook them
than anywhere else did.

I suggested to co-workers that we should call the place Andante's.
--
Mark Brader | "Should array indices start at 0 or 1? My ecumenical
Toronto | compromise of 0.5 was rejected without, I thought,

Joshua Kreitzer

未读,
2015年7月14日 20:55:552015/7/14
收件人
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:SeCdncyiipoAEznInZ2dnUU7-
fud...@vex.net:

> ** Final, Round 4 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Architecture of Toronto Buildings
>
> The University of Toronto and the surrounding area contains an
> amazing variety of architecture. For each photo, just name the
> style of architecture it represents.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/1.jpg

Gothic

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/2.jpg

Georgian

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/3.jpg

Brutalism; Modernism

> * Literary Deaths
>
> 6. We meet this character in her moldering wedding dress, wearing
> one shoe and hoarding everything from the day she was left at
> the altar. At the end of the novel, she dies after failing
> to realize until it is too late that her wedding dress has
> caught fire. Name her.

Miss Havisham

> * Italian-a-Tempo
>
> We define it; you give us the Italian word or phrase. All answers
> start with the letter A.
>
> 7. What is the most common of the tempo markings that mean "brisk"
> or "lively"?

a tempo

> 8. What is the most common marking for a slow tempo, literally
> meaning "at ease"?

adagio

> 9. What is the most common marking for a moderate pace, literally
> meaning "going"?

andante

> * Wartime Novels
>
> Tell us which war is featured in each of these novels.
>
> 10. "Flashman at the Charge" by George MacDonald Fraser.

Crimean War

> 11. "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Ernest Hemingway.

Spanish Civil War

> 12. "In Country" by Bobbie Ann Mason.

Vietnam War

> * Egyptian Gods
>
> In each case, name the Egyptian god depicted.
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/13.jpg

Anubis; Horus

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/14.jpg

Horus; Anubis
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

未读,
2015年7月15日 03:11:332015/7/15
收件人
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 4 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Architecture of Toronto Buildings
>
> The University of Toronto and the surrounding area contains an
> amazing variety of architecture. For each photo, just name the
> style of architecture it represents. If you want to show off,
> for fun but for no points, also name the buildings.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/1.jpg

Gothic

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/2.jpg

neo-Roman

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/3.jpg

postmodern

> * Literary Deaths
>
> 4. He is the patriarch of his noble family and a proud leader
> of the North. He is honorable and compassionate, but publicly
> confesses to treason in order to keep his daughters safe.
> He is executed by sword. Give his *first and last name*, please.
>
> 5. This character is a pure-blooded wizard. He gains lifelong
> friendship in a group called "the Marauders", who fought together
> during the First Wizarding War. He spends 12 years in prison and
> escapes by transforming into the form of a massive black dog.
> He is murdered by his cousin. Give his *first and last name*,
> please.
>
> 6. We meet this character in her moldering wedding dress, wearing
> one shoe and hoarding everything from the day she was left at
> the altar. At the end of the novel, she dies after failing
> to realize until it is too late that her wedding dress has
> caught fire. Name her.
>

> * Italian-a-Tempo
>
> We define it; you give us the Italian word or phrase. All answers
> start with the letter A.
>
> 7. What is the most common of the tempo markings that mean "brisk"
> or "lively"?

a tempo

> 8. What is the most common marking for a slow tempo, literally
> meaning "at ease"?
>
> 9. What is the most common marking for a moderate pace, literally
> meaning "going"?
>

> * Wartime Novels
>
> Tell us which war is featured in each of these novels.
>
> 10. "Flashman at the Charge" by George MacDonald Fraser.

Crimean

> 11. "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Ernest Hemingway.

WWI

> 12. "In Country" by Bobbie Ann Mason.
>

> * Egyptian Gods
>
> In each case, name the Egyptian god depicted.
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/13.jpg

Ra

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/14.jpg

Annubis

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/15.jpg

--
Dan Tilque

Pete

未读,
2015年7月15日 19:19:462015/7/15
收件人
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:SeCdncyiipoAEznInZ2dnUU7-
fud...@vex.net:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-03-30,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days (from the first posting).
>
> All questions were written by members of MI5, and are used here by
> permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2015-02-23
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 4 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Architecture of Toronto Buildings
>
> The University of Toronto and the surrounding area contains an
> amazing variety of architecture. For each photo, just name the
> style of architecture it represents. If you want to show off,
> for fun but for no points, also name the buildings.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/1.jpg
> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/2.jpg

Georgian

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/3.jpg

Modernist

> * Literary Deaths
>
> 4. He is the patriarch of his noble family and a proud leader
> of the North. He is honorable and compassionate, but publicly
> confesses to treason in order to keep his daughters safe.
> He is executed by sword. Give his *first and last name*, please.
>
> 5. This character is a pure-blooded wizard. He gains lifelong
> friendship in a group called "the Marauders", who fought together
> during the First Wizarding War. He spends 12 years in prison and
> escapes by transforming into the form of a massive black dog.
> He is murdered by his cousin. Give his *first and last name*,
> please.

Sirius Black

> 6. We meet this character in her moldering wedding dress, wearing
> one shoe and hoarding everything from the day she was left at
> the altar. At the end of the novel, she dies after failing
> to realize until it is too late that her wedding dress has
> caught fire. Name her.
>

> * Italian-a-Tempo
>
> We define it; you give us the Italian word or phrase. All answers
> start with the letter A.
>
> 7. What is the most common of the tempo markings that mean "brisk"
> or "lively"?

Allegro

> 8. What is the most common marking for a slow tempo, literally
> meaning "at ease"?

Adagio

> 9. What is the most common marking for a moderate pace, literally
> meaning "going"?

Moderato

> * Wartime Novels
>
> Tell us which war is featured in each of these novels.
>
> 10. "Flashman at the Charge" by George MacDonald Fraser.

Crimean War

> 11. "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Ernest Hemingway.

Spanish Civil War

> 12. "In Country" by Bobbie Ann Mason.

Vietnam War

> * Egyptian Gods
>
> In each case, name the Egyptian god depicted.
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/13.jpg

Isis
Isis; Anubis

Pete

Jason Kreitzer

未读,
2015年7月16日 00:21:512015/7/16
收件人
On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 12:22:54 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
World War I
> 12. "In Country" by Bobbie Ann Mason.
Vietnam

Mark Brader

未读,
2015年7月16日 23:19:172015/7/16
收件人
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-03-30,
> see my 2015-02-23 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 4 - Arts & Literature

> * Architecture of Toronto Buildings

> The University of Toronto and the surrounding area contains an
> amazing variety of architecture. For each photo, just name the
> style of architecture it represents. If you want to show off,
> for fun but for no points, also name the buildings.

I don't want to debate the nomenclature of architectural styles, so
if you were ruled wrong, think your answer is correct, and want to
protest, then you'll need to find a cite that refers to the specific
building shown and describes it as being in the style you named.

> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/1.jpg

Romanesque (more specifically Richardsonian romanesque or romanesque
revival). 4 for Dan Blum.

It's the provincial parliament (or legislature) building at Queen's Park.

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/2.jpg

Classical revival (neo-classical). I accepted "Greek revival".
4 for Dan Blum and Stephen. 2 for Calvin.

It's Convocation Hall.

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/arch/3.jpg

Brutalism. 4 for Dan Blum. 3 for Calvin, Stephen, and Joshua.

It's the John P. Robarts Research Library.

> * Literary Deaths

> 4. He is the patriarch of his noble family and a proud leader
> of the North. He is honorable and compassionate, but publicly
> confesses to treason in order to keep his daughters safe.
> He is executed by sword. Give his *first and last name*, please.

Eddard (or Ned) Stark. ("Song of Ice and Fire" series by Martin /
"Game of Thrones"). 4 for Dan Blum, Björn, Peter, and Stephen.

> 5. This character is a pure-blooded wizard. He gains lifelong
> friendship in a group called "the Marauders", who fought together
> during the First Wizarding War. He spends 12 years in prison and
> escapes by transforming into the form of a massive black dog.
> He is murdered by his cousin. Give his *first and last name*,
> please.

Sirius Black. ("Harry Potter" series by Rowling.) 4 for Dan Blum,
Björn, Peter, Stephen, and Pete.

> 6. We meet this character in her moldering wedding dress, wearing
> one shoe and hoarding everything from the day she was left at
> the altar. At the end of the novel, she dies after failing
> to realize until it is too late that her wedding dress has
> caught fire. Name her.

Miss Havisham. ("Great Expectations" by Dickens. Her first name is
never mentioned.) I accepted "Haversham". 4 for Calvin, Dan Blum,
Stephen, and Joshua.

> * Italian-a-Tempo

> We define it; you give us the Italian word or phrase. All answers
> start with the letter A.

> 7. What is the most common of the tempo markings that mean "brisk"
> or "lively"?

Allegro. 4 for Marc, Peter, and Pete. 3 for Calvin.

> 8. What is the most common marking for a slow tempo, literally
> meaning "at ease"?

Adagio. 4 for Marc, Erland, Stephen, Joshua, and Pete. 2 for Calvin.

> 9. What is the most common marking for a moderate pace, literally
> meaning "going"?

Andante. 4 for Marc, Erland, Björn, Peter, and Joshua.

> * Wartime Novels

> Tell us which war is featured in each of these novels.

> 10. "Flashman at the Charge" by George MacDonald Fraser.

Crimean War. 4 for Calvin, Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> 11. "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Ernest Hemingway.

Spanish Civil War. 4 for Calvin, Marc, Dan Blum, Björn, Stephen,
Joshua, and Pete.

> 12. "In Country" by Bobbie Ann Mason.

Vietnam War. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, Pete, and Jason.

> * Egyptian Gods

> In each case, name the Egyptian god depicted.

> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/13.jpg

Osiris. 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, Björn, and Stephen. 3 for Peter.

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/14.jpg

Anubis. 4 for Dan Blum, Björn, Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Pete.
3 for Marc. 2 for Joshua.

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-4/god/15.jpg

Horus. 4 for Björn. 3 for Dan Blum. 2 for Marc, Peter, and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Geo A&L
Dan Blum 36 47 47 130
Joshua Kreitzer 46 48 31 125
Marc Dashevsky 38 44 25 107
Pete Gayde 20 48 28 96
Erland Sommarskog 36 46 8 90
"Calvin" 25 42 22 89
Peter Smyth 27 41 21 89
Björn Lundin 16 40 28 84
Stephen Perry 40 -- 43 83
Dan Tilque 35 32 8 75
Jason Kreitzer 20 20 4 44
Bruce Bowler -- 28 -- 28

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Gadgetry abounded everywhere, almost all of which
m...@vex.net | he could justify." -- Robert Asprin

Erland Sommarskog

未读,
2015年7月17日 04:49:002015/7/17
收件人
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 7. What is the most common of the tempo markings that mean "brisk"
>> or "lively"?
>
> Allegro. 4 for Marc, Peter, and Pete. 3 for Calvin.

For the record: I answerd "Vivace" which also means "lively". However,
without any research, I certainly consent that allegro is more common.

Mark Brader

未读,
2015年7月17日 05:35:312015/7/17
收件人
Mark Brader:
>>> 7. What is the most common of the tempo markings that mean "brisk"
>>> or "lively"?
>>
>> Allegro. 4 for Marc, Peter, and Pete. 3 for Calvin.

Erland Sommarskog:
> For the record: I answerd "Vivace" which also means "lively". However,
> without any research, I certainly consent that allegro is more common.

Not only that, but it starts with A.
--
Mark Brader | "... there is no such word as 'impossible' in
Toronto | my dictionary. In fact, everything between
| -- Dirk Gently (Douglas Adams)

Erland Sommarskog

未读,
2015年7月17日 07:55:542015/7/17
收件人
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Not only that, but it starts with A.

Blush! I completely missed that part. I'll stand in my corner for the
rest of the day.

Gareth Owen

未读,
2015年7月23日 13:08:312015/7/23
收件人
Downside of being a bit late...

> * Literary Deaths
>
> 4. He is the patriarch of his noble family and a proud leader
> of the North. He is honorable and compassionate, but publicly
> confesses to treason in order to keep his daughters safe.
> He is executed by sword. Give his *first and last name*, please.

Ned (Eddard) Stark

> 5. This character is a pure-blooded wizard. He gains lifelong
> friendship in a group called "the Marauders", who fought together
> during the First Wizarding War. He spends 12 years in prison and
> escapes by transforming into the form of a massive black dog.
> He is murdered by his cousin. Give his *first and last name*,
> please.

Sirius Black

> 6. We meet this character in her moldering wedding dress, wearing
> one shoe and hoarding everything from the day she was left at
> the altar. At the end of the novel, she dies after failing
> to realize until it is too late that her wedding dress has
> caught fire. Name her.

Miss Haversham

> * Italian-a-Tempo
>
> We define it; you give us the Italian word or phrase. All answers
> start with the letter A.
>
> 7. What is the most common of the tempo markings that mean "brisk"
> or "lively"?

Presto

> 8. What is the most common marking for a slow tempo, literally
> meaning "at ease"?

Largo

> 9. What is the most common marking for a moderate pace, literally
> meaning "going"?

Adagio?

> * Wartime Novels
>
> Tell us which war is featured in each of these novels.
>
> 10. "Flashman at the Charge" by George MacDonald Fraser.

Crimean

> 11. "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Ernest Hemingway.

WWI

> 12. "In Country" by Bobbie Ann Mason.

Vietnam

Mark Brader

未读,
2015年7月23日 23:40:362015/7/23
收件人
Hmm, someone else who doesn't know what words start with A. :-)

If Gareth Owen had posted his answers on time, he would have scored
20 points.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "You are not the customer,
m...@vex.net you are the product."

Gareth Owen

未读,
2015年7月24日 02:09:142015/7/24
收件人
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> Hmm, someone else who doesn't know what words start with A. :-)

<facepalm emoji>
0 个新帖子