[LSJ] Shadow Court Satyr (Changeling) Miscellanious Questions.

Andreas Nusser

Dec 9, 2002, 6:34:52 AM12/9/02
LSJ,

Some more questions about allies esp. Shadow Court Satyr since I really
have to build a deck with this ally :

Card text:
Changeling with 3 life. 1 strength, 1 bleed. When Shadow Court Satyr
comes into play, you may put a combat card from your hand on him. Once
each combat, Satyr may use the ability of that card as if that card had
been played from your hand. If the card has a cost, he pays its cost in
life to use its ability. If the card requires a Discipline, he may only
use the basic ability of that card as a vampire with a capacity of 1. If
the ability would give him blood, give him life instead.

Can I play Taste of Vitae on SCS?

I shoot with Magnum on a vampire. Do I get 2 blood since Taste was
played on him?

Can I play Disarm on SCS?

I attack with Shadow Court Satyr a vampire which has got Memories of
Mortality on him. I do 1 damage he does none.
What happens with the Disarm then?

Can I use this as much as I want to?

What about Weighted Walking stick?

Does it renew every time is has been used up?

What about Amaranth?

Thanks in advance

--
Andreas Nusser
www.vekn.de

LSJ

Dec 9, 2002, 8:38:58 AM12/9/02
Andreas Nusser wrote:
> Some more questions about allies esp. Shadow Court Satyr since I really
> have to build a deck with this ally :
>
> Card text:
> Changeling with 3 life. 1 strength, 1 bleed. When Shadow Court Satyr
> comes into play, you may put a combat card from your hand on him. Once
> each combat, Satyr may use the ability of that card as if that card had
> been played from your hand. If the card has a cost, he pays its cost in
> life to use its ability. If the card requires a Discipline, he may only
> use the basic ability of that card as a vampire with a capacity of 1. If
> the ability would give him blood, give him life instead.
>
> Can I play Taste of Vitae on SCS?

Yes. It is a combat card.

> I shoot with Magnum on a vampire. Do I get 2 blood since Taste was
> played on him?

No. He doesn't get the ability to use it "as a vampire", and it offers
no utility to a non-vampire.

> Can I play Disarm on SCS?

Yes. It is a combat card.

> I attack with Shadow Court Satyr a vampire which has got Memories of
> Mortality on him. I do 1 damage he does none.
> What happens with the Disarm then?

You may use it as if played from your hand. Which means placing the card
on the opposing vampire and sending that vampire to torpor.

> Can I use this as much as I want to?

No, since after the first "use", the card will no longer be on the SCS.

> What about Weighted Walking stick?
>
> Does it renew every time is has been used up?

No. It is burned when it is "used up". Card text.

> What about Amaranth?

It is a combat card.
The SCS cannot use it, though, since it requires a vampire. Card text.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

legbiter

Dec 10, 2002, 2:52:57 AM12/10/02
<snip>

How about the bloodlines cards with outferiors, eg Absorb the Mind?
Must i choose whether the satyr is playing it for the dom text or the
myt text when played? Or can i wait till i am about to use it? In the
latter case, can i change my mind the NEXT time it's used?

Micah

Dec 10, 2002, 5:31:25 AM12/10/02
legb...@mailandnews.com (legbiter) wrote in message news:<22fea992.02120...@posting.google.com>...

Wow ... what a great card to put on the Satyr... with fake out or IR
goggles it means that you either steal 1 blood at long range (thus
increasing his life) or dodge if your manouver was countered or if
someone frisbees something your way.

I love this ally...

LSJ

Dec 10, 2002, 6:23:37 AM12/10/02

The latter.
Yes, you are free to use any inferior version each time it is used.

Petri Wessman

Dec 10, 2002, 7:51:46 AM12/10/02
On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 11:23:37 GMT, LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> said:

LSJ> legbiter wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> How about the bloodlines cards with outferiors, eg Absorb the Mind?
>> Must i choose whether the satyr is playing it for the dom text or the
>> myt text when played? Or can i wait till i am about to use it? In the
>> latter case, can i change my mind the NEXT time it's used?

LSJ> The latter.
LSJ> Yes, you are free to use any inferior version each time it is used.

Whoah, cool. This opens up some evil little possibilities <runs off to
do deck design> :)

//Petri

legbiter

Dec 10, 2002, 11:16:17 AM12/10/02
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3DF5CE6E...@white-wolf.com>...

> legbiter wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > How about the bloodlines cards with outferiors, eg Absorb the Mind?
> > Must i choose whether the satyr is playing it for the dom text or the
> > myt text when played? Or can i wait till i am about to use it? In the
> > latter case, can i change my mind the NEXT time it's used?
>
> The latter.
> Yes, you are free to use any inferior version each time it is used.

You see that, fellow fairy-fanciers? i always said that the "L" in
"LSJ" stood for "Lord". The Lord Giveth [dual-function
inferior/outferior combat cards], the Lord Taketh Away [any chance of
playing Burst of Sunlight and surviving]. Blessed be the Name of the
Lord.

legbiter

Dec 10, 2002, 5:11:47 PM12/10/02
Petri Wessman <or...@orava.org> wrote in message news:<877keid...@ws16.smallplanet.fi>...

Y'know Petri, if i didn't know better, i would SWEAR you haven't been
reading the !gangrel NLs. ALL my faithful readers [doubtless including
you] have known about this ever since Bloodlines came out, and the new
ruling was made on Burst of Sunlight when played by allies. MORAL:
Obey The Voice of the Legbiter, Unless it is Obviously At Variance
With That of the LSJ.

Slightly, VERY slightly more seriously, i hereby announce the !gangrel
NLs first and doubtless only/last ever poll:

What is the best combat card for the Shadow Court Satyr? Illustrate
your answer with no more than a SHORT sentence, if you choose. Answers
to legb...@talk21.com, please.

Petri Wessman

Dec 11, 2002, 4:20:24 AM12/11/02
On 10 Dec 2002 14:11:47 -0800, legb...@mailandnews.com (legbiter) said:

legbiter> Y'know Petri, if i didn't know better, i would SWEAR you
legbiter> haven't been reading the !gangrel NLs. ALL my faithful
legbiter> readers [doubtless including you] have known about this ever
legbiter> since Bloodlines came out, and the new ruling was made on
legbiter> Burst of Sunlight when played by allies. MORAL: Obey The
legbiter> Voice of the Legbiter, Unless it is Obviously At Variance
legbiter> With That of the LSJ.

Guilty as charged :). I must have missed that edition of the !Gangrel
NL, as this whole thing was new to me.

//Petri

henrik ericsson

Dec 11, 2002, 4:29:46 AM12/11/02
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3DF49CF2...@white-wolf.com>...

> Andreas Nusser wrote:
> > Some more questions about allies esp. Shadow Court Satyr since I really
> > have to build a deck with this ally :
> >
> > Card text:
> > Changeling with 3 life. 1 strength, 1 bleed. When Shadow Court Satyr
> > comes into play, you may put a combat card from your hand on him. Once
> > each combat, Satyr may use the ability of that card as if that card had
> > been played from your hand. If the card has a cost, he pays its cost in
> > life to use its ability. If the card requires a Discipline, he may only
> > use the basic ability of that card as a vampire with a capacity of 1. If
> > the ability would give him blood, give him life instead.
> >
> > Can I play Taste of Vitae on SCS?
>
> Yes. It is a combat card.
>
> > I shoot with Magnum on a vampire. Do I get 2 blood since Taste was
> > played on him?
>
> No. He doesn't get the ability to use it "as a vampire", and it offers
> no utility to a non-vampire.

So if you place a Burst of Sunlight ([tha] Strike: 1R aggravated
damage. This striking vampire also takes 1 aggravated damage.) on the
changeling, he doesn't take any damage from it since he doesn't play
it "as a vampire"?

/Henrik

LSJ

Dec 11, 2002, 7:48:03 AM12/11/02
henrik ericsson wrote:
> So if you place a Burst of Sunlight ([tha] Strike: 1R aggravated
> damage. This striking vampire also takes 1 aggravated damage.) on the
> changeling, he doesn't take any damage from it since he doesn't play
> it "as a vampire"?

If "you" (meaning the minion opposing the Satyr in combat) strikes
with Burst of Sunlight, the Satyr takes 1R aggravated damage.

If "you" (meaning the Satyr) uses the Burst of Sunlight ability "as a
vampire", then the Satyr takes 1 aggravated damage (causing the Satyr
to burn 1 life).

Petri Wessman

Dec 11, 2002, 9:37:47 AM12/11/02
On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 07:48:03 -0500, LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> said:

LSJ> henrik ericsson wrote:
>> So if you place a Burst of Sunlight ([tha] Strike: 1R aggravated
>> damage. This striking vampire also takes 1 aggravated damage.) on the
>> changeling, he doesn't take any damage from it since he doesn't play
>> it "as a vampire"?

LSJ> If "you" (meaning the minion opposing the Satyr in combat) strikes
LSJ> with Burst of Sunlight, the Satyr takes 1R aggravated damage.

LSJ> If "you" (meaning the Satyr) uses the Burst of Sunlight ability "as a
LSJ> vampire", then the Satyr takes 1 aggravated damage (causing the Satyr
LSJ> to burn 1 life).

Ok, maybe I'm dense here, but I'm confused as to why the Satyr is
considered a vampire with regards to Burst of Sunlight, but not with
regards to Taste of Vitae. Both cards refer to vampires being affected
by their effects, so why this disparity? Is it an obscure wording
issue or what?

//Petri

LSJ

Dec 11, 2002, 9:57:48 AM12/11/02
Petri Wessman wrote:
> Ok, maybe I'm dense here, but I'm confused as to why the Satyr is
> considered a vampire with regards to Burst of Sunlight, but not with
> regards to Taste of Vitae. Both cards refer to vampires being affected
> by their effects, so why this disparity? Is it an obscure wording
> issue or what?

It's a wording issue, but it's not obscure.
Card text allows the Satyr to use the card "as a vampire" if it requires a Disicpline.
Taste of Vitae doesn't require a Discipline.

Petri Wessman

Dec 11, 2002, 10:18:20 AM12/11/02
On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:57:48 -0500, LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> said:

LSJ> Petri Wessman wrote:
>> Ok, maybe I'm dense here, but I'm confused as to why the Satyr is
>> considered a vampire with regards to Burst of Sunlight, but not with
>> regards to Taste of Vitae. Both cards refer to vampires being affected
>> by their effects, so why this disparity? Is it an obscure wording
>> issue or what?

LSJ> It's a wording issue, but it's not obscure. Card text allows the
LSJ> Satyr to use the card "as a vampire" if it requires a Disicpline.
LSJ> Taste of Vitae doesn't require a Discipline.

Ah, of course. I was just comparing BoS and ToV, and forgot to check
the exact wording on the Satyr :/. Thanks.

//Petri

Snapcase

Dec 11, 2002, 11:13:45 AM12/11/02
sg3kmb6...@death-star.com (henrik ericsson) wrote in message news:<e064ea1c.02121...@posting.google.com>...

> *If the card requires a Discipline, he may only use the basic ability of
> that card as a vampire with a capacity of 1.*

> So if you place a Burst of Sunlight ([tha] Strike: 1R aggravated
> damage. This striking vampire also takes 1 aggravated damage.) on the
> changeling, he doesn't take any damage from it since he doesn't play
> it "as a vampire"?

Card text seems to indicate Satyr only is allowed to play cards
requiring disciplines "as a vampire". Disciplineless combat cards
that refer to vampires (like taste of vitae) would have no effect.
Since Burst requires a discipline, it would deal 1 agg to the Satyr.