Insubordination: Columbus-recap

jay_kr...@my-deja.com

Dec 12, 2000, 6:24:53 AM12/12/00
Insubordination: Columbus was a big success. Twenty-one V:TES players
filled the Gaurdtower gaming store on December 9th. Most impressive
was the large number of out of town players who made the trip to Ohio's
capital city. Noal and the gang from Farmington Hills were there, as
were several other skilled players that I did not get to meet.
After some confusion about who had made it to the final round,
Doug Brindley, Pete from Cleveland, Jay Kristoff (that's me), Zach
Couch, and Nate "Dog" Williams, took our places as the final five and
sat in that order. Aside from Pete, all of the finalists were from the
Columbus area.
Doug was doubly disappointed to hear that he and his Beast deck had
to play first and that Nate's Dominance bleeder was on his back. Pete
from Cleveland was working a classic Lasombra stealth/bleed deck. I
was working my Tzimisce/Smiling Jack deck. Zach sported small Ventrue
who were good at both voting and bleeding. Nate's Dominance deck
featured different ways to tap player's minions now that Misdirection
only taps one.
My Smiling Jack the Anarch came down early and it never went away.
Nate and Zach's smallish vamps were depleted by Jack. Slowing down two
decks that had led the way in victory points coming into the final
round. Doug's Potence/Celerity Beast with Brujah princes deck took
eight bleed from Nate on the second turn. But once Doug influenced one
of his princes and the Leatherface of Detroit, Nate slowed down. Pete
came very close to ousting me. After taking a six bleed, I started one
of my turns with one pool. I thought I was going to die to my own
Smiling Jack until I remembered that my Powerbase: Chicago had a blood
on it. I was able to pay for Jack with the blood from the Powerbase
and recuperated from there.
Pete was the first to drop. Jack plus the agony of having one of
his vampires beat up by Beast was a lot to take. When Nate bounced one
of Zach's bleeds to Pete, it was over for the Lasombra. Nate was the
next to fall; having to pay six to my Smiling Jack and a pool to my
Anarch Revolt. I wasn't pleased about Zach gaining the VP and the six
pool, but all of his vamps were empty and most were in torpor. Zach
was dead on his next turn. Doug's vamps were worse for wear after
being sucked by Smiling Jack. My use of aggravated damage with
Rotschreck didn't help their cause either. With only Constanza Vinti
ready (with one blood on her) Doug made a last ditch effort to burn
Jack. I blocked it. End of game.
Great thanks to The Guardtower gaming store for hosting the
tournament, V:EKN Prince of Columbus, Amy Thoma for organizing and
judging the event, White Wolf for groovy prize support, and all of the
out of town players who made the tournament better than I could have
imagined.
Check out my deck on Lasombra's "tournament winning decks" page
http://members.tripod.com/~Lasombra/twd.htm This is my first
tournament win and I'm pretty happy.
rock on,
Jay Kristoff

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Peter D Bakija

Dec 12, 2000, 11:30:16 AM12/12/00
Go Jay! I knew there were big things in store for you, ya know, other than the
holder of the coveted "World's Tallest VTES Player" title.

Keep on sticking it to the man!

Peter D Bakija
PD...@aol.com
http://www.geocities.com/bakija6

"Why so many swords?"
"I must kill many."
-Kikuchiyo

shsoton

Dec 14, 2000, 5:15:55 AM12/14/00

Peter D Bakija <pd...@aol.comANTISPAM> wrote in message

> Go Jay! I knew there were big things in store for you, ya know, other than
the
> holder of the coveted "World's Tallest VTES Player" title.

Ahhhh. I think not. This coveted title belongs to either Steve 'Viking'
Wright of the Southampton playgroup, 'Tall' Stu sometime V:TES player or
possibly the tallest of all - 'Tall' Mark ? Is his still playing Green ?
what was he 8 ' ??

Rob

j...@columbus.rr.com

Dec 14, 2000, 6:32:35 AM12/14/00
In article <k61_5.299$Fu2....@news.dircon.co.uk>,

"shsoton" <shs...@dircon.co.uk> wrote:

> > Go Jay! I knew there were big things in store for you, ya know,
other than
> the
> > holder of the coveted "World's Tallest VTES Player" title.
>
> Ahhhh. I think not. This coveted title belongs to either
Steve 'Viking'
> Wright of the Southampton playgroup, 'Tall' Stu sometime V:TES player
or
> possibly the tallest of all - 'Tall' Mark ? Is his still playing
Green ?
> what was he 8 ' ??
>
> I didn't think that my "World's Tallest VTES Player" title would last
for long, as I am a mere 6' 8" (203.2 cm. for non-Americans). I'm OK
with losing the title. I'd rather be known as the guy who invented the
bumper sticker "My other car is your Mom".
Jay