BUG: Sokoban doesn't work in the new Slash'em!

robin_...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/12/98
Hey, the new dungeon branch "Sokoban" in Slash'em 0.0.4E1 doesn't work!

I'm using the MSDOS binaries downloaded from http://slashem.cjb.net. When I
enter Sokoban (in wizard mode, though I shouldn't think that makes a
difference) I get the message "Couldn't load sokoban4.lev -- making a maze"
and it makes a maze and tells me I'd better quit :-(

Does this happen because Slash'em is looking for a levels file in its
directory that is actually now part of Nhdat?

Anyone fixed it yet?

Robin Johnson
rjohnson at feba dot org dot sc
"Oh, Dennis, forget about freedom. We haven't got enough mud."

Warren Cheung

Oct 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/12/98
robin_...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Hey, the new dungeon branch "Sokoban" in Slash'em 0.0.4E1 doesn't work!
>
> I'm using the MSDOS binaries downloaded from http://slashem.cjb.net. When I
> enter Sokoban (in wizard mode, though I shouldn't think that makes a
> difference) I get the message "Couldn't load sokoban4.lev -- making a maze"
> and it makes a maze and tells me I'd better quit :-(
>
> Does this happen because Slash'em is looking for a levels file in its
> directory that is actually now part of Nhdat?

DON'T LOOK AT THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN! HE IS UNIMPORTANT! IT CAN'T BE HIS
FAULT...

Okay, maybe a little. Okay, to tell the truth, guess who forgot to compile
it into the DOS binary...
Looks like E2 Preview is going up awfully soon...
--
WACko

Homepage:
http://wac.cjb.net\ or http://wac.home.ml.org

SLASH'EM (Game Indev):
http://slashem.cjb.net or http//slashem.home.ml.org

Kevin Hugo

Oct 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/12/98
robin_...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Hey, the new dungeon branch "Sokoban" in Slash'em 0.0.4E1 doesn't work!
>
> I'm using the MSDOS binaries downloaded from http://slashem.cjb.net. When I
> enter Sokoban (in wizard mode, though I shouldn't think that makes a
> difference) I get the message "Couldn't load sokoban4.lev -- making a maze"
> and it makes a maze and tells me I'd better quit :-(

The relevant files were apparently left out in the DOS version
(Mac works fine). I have mailed Warren with the fix. In the
meantime, it is completely safe to continue the game -- you just
won't get the goodies normally found in that branch.

Mitch45678

Oct 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/13/98

And you will also find minotaurs about 30 levels higher in the dungeon than you
would otherwise and get your ass handed to you.

: P
Dave

Kevin Hugo

Oct 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/13/98
mitch...@aol.com (Mitch45678) wrote:

> >> I get the message "Couldn't load sokoban4.lev -- making a maze"
> >> and it makes a maze and tells me I'd better quit :-(
> >

> >In the
> >meantime, it is completely safe to continue the game -- you just
> >won't get the goodies normally found in that branch.
>
> And you will also find minotaurs about 30 levels higher in the
> dungeon than you would otherwise and get your ass handed to you.

That's true. My point is that completing the new Sokoban branch
is not essential to win the game. But then again, neither are the
Gnomish Mines... but most players know that there are goodies there.