Grupuri Google nu mai acceptă postările sau abonamentele noi Usenet. Conținutul anterior este în continuare vizibil.

need Candelabrum help

10 afișări
Accesați primul mesaj necitit

MBO

necitită,
28 oct. 2003, 17:13:5428.10.2003
This is the first time I've gotten this far .... I'm reading the
spoilers, and they say "attach the candles to the candelabrum" .... what
command do I use to do that?

Thanks

--
Mark

Raisse the Thaumaturge

necitită,
28 oct. 2003, 17:18:0728.10.2003

(a)pply the candles while the Candelabrum is in your inventory and the
game will ask you whether you want to attach them to it.

Raisse, killed by a bolt of fire

--
ir...@valdyas.org LegoHack: http://www.valdyas.org/irina/nethack/

Dylan O'Donnell

necitită,
28 oct. 2003, 18:18:5428.10.2003

The candelabrum and the candles are both tools. What command do you
usually use to make use of tools?

: "... and in the silence you hear no plaint of flute or roar :
: of gong, but instead the crash of porcelain shattering." :
: -- Yoon Ha Lee, "The Moonlit Tower" :

Bruce

necitită,
28 oct. 2003, 17:17:3028.10.2003
MBO <mob...@tulane.edu> deserves a cookie for saying:

> This is the first time I've gotten this far .... I'm reading the
> spoilers, and they say "attach the candles to the candelabrum" .... what
> command do I use to do that?

#apply the candles.

--
Bruce Labbate | With a pet at my side, God in the sky
shiftless layabout | Snow falling down
| Freeze my body to the ground.
| - The Pixies

MBO

necitită,
28 oct. 2003, 18:32:2528.10.2003

Dylan O'Donnell wrote:

> MBO <mob...@tulane.edu> writes:
> > This is the first time I've gotten this far .... I'm reading the
> > spoilers, and they say "attach the candles to the candelabrum" .... what
> > command do I use to do that?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> The candelabrum and the candles are both tools. What command do you
> usually use to make use of tools?

Well, the deal was, I knew that #applying candles lights them, and I
didn't know if maybe the candles needed to never have been used in order
to work in the invocation. So now I see that the #apply command gives
you a prompt if possess the candelabrum. Had no way of knowing that,
and I was afraid to spoil everything after having come so far. This is
a weird and tricky game. Thanks for the help.

MBO

necitită,
29 oct. 2003, 13:38:5929.10.2003
Well, the Wiz came back and stole the Candelabrum again -- I've killed
him a few times already, but now I've got no wand of death (even though
I've polypiled in hopes of one), and my Mjollnir and Magicbane have been
disenchanted down to +0, and the bastard keeps running away from me. I
have to say, the way the Wiz and the major demons teleport away all the
time is BORING. Also, i have no ?oSM left, and I keep inscribing the
E-word, but it gets obliterated faster than I can keep up with. I've
got good armor, so I'm not being killed by the Wiz or his pets, and I've
got plenty of food, but I don't see ANY hope of getting the bell, book &
candelabrum back from the bastard, so I'm getting BORED, BORED, BORED.

Is there any other strategy I'm not thinking of????

Thanks,
Mark

Bruce

necitită,
29 oct. 2003, 13:55:1029.10.2003
MBO <mob...@tulane.edu> deserves a cookie for saying:
{snip Wiz has candelabrum}

> Is there any other strategy I'm not thinking of????

You're stopping the Wiz from escaping by waiting where he always
teleports to heal, right? And you're engraving Elbereth with permanent
or semi-permanent means, right?

--
Bruce Labbate | No need for God, no need for him.
shiftless layabout | Just take my hand, you'll be my bride
| Just take that fruit, put it inside.
| - PJ Harvey

MBO

necitită,
29 oct. 2003, 14:10:5929.10.2003

Bruce wrote:

> You're stopping the Wiz from escaping by waiting where he always
> teleports to heal, right? And you're engraving Elbereth with permanent
> or semi-permanent means, right?

Yes, but it seems like he's not respecting the E-word. I've been
engraving it with wands of digging. And now I'm getting beaten up by
dragons on a non-teleport level, and I'm standing on the stairs, so I
can't dig, so I think I'm going to die soon.....

MBO

necitită,
29 oct. 2003, 14:29:2729.10.2003

OK, an update -- I killed a cockatrice and [CAREFULLY] wielded its
corpse against mine enemies, including the Wiz, his double, his triple
(I'm pretty sure - are there three of him), and his pet Lich. So now
I've got all the loot I need, EXCEPT the Bell! I thought he had stolen
the bell as well as the book and candelabrum, but I don't find it, and
busted open all the statues of him and all his pets -- no bell. His pet
Lich picked up the Book after I killed the Wiz -- I didn't know Liches
would do that -- is it possible some other monster has the Bell? And by
the way, what's the deal with the Wiz and his Double both having the
Amulet? Now I've got two Amulets in by bag. Are they both real?

--
Mark

Bruce

necitită,
29 oct. 2003, 14:49:1729.10.2003
MBO <mob...@tulane.edu> deserves a cookie for saying:
> OK, an update -- I killed a cockatrice and [CAREFULLY] wielded its
> corpse against mine enemies, including the Wiz, his double, his triple
> (I'm pretty sure - are there three of him), and his pet Lich. So now
> I've got all the loot I need, EXCEPT the Bell! I thought he had stolen
> the bell as well as the book and candelabrum, but I don't find it, and
> busted open all the statues of him and all his pets -- no bell. His pet
> Lich picked up the Book after I killed the Wiz -- I didn't know Liches
> would do that -- is it possible some other monster has the Bell?

Hmm. I don't know any monsters that want the Bell specifically. The
Wizard, I believe, but I don't know who else.

> And by the way, what's the deal with the Wiz and his Double both
> having the Amulet? Now I've got two Amulets in by bag. Are they both
> real?

If both are in your bag, neither is real.

--
Bruce Labbate | Metaphor for a missing moment,
shiftless layabout | Pull me into your perfect circle.
| One womb, one shape, one resolve.
| - A Perfect Circle

MBO

necitită,
29 oct. 2003, 16:08:3029.10.2003

Bruce wrote:

> If both [amulets] are in your bag, neither is real.

It did surprise me that I didn't get some kind of message about it not
being able to be contained in such trappings.

Sigh. This game is HARD.

--

Mark

Bruce

necitită,
29 oct. 2003, 16:11:0229.10.2003
MBO <mob...@tulane.edu> deserves a cookie for saying:
> Bruce wrote:
>> If both [amulets] are in your bag, neither is real.

> It did surprise me that I didn't get some kind of message about it not
> being able to be contained in such trappings.

Well, if you're desperately looking for the Bell and/or Candelabrum, I
wouldn't expect that you have the Amulet, seeing as you need one to get
the other.

--
Bruce Labbate | Gotta cut away, clear away, snip away
shiftless layabout | and sever this umbilical residue
| that's keeping me from killing you.
| - A Perfect Circle

Eric Wright

necitită,
29 oct. 2003, 17:06:0629.10.2003
Bruce <sol...@gehennom.net> wrote in message news:<bnp5jt$om$1...@news-int.gatech.edu>...

> MBO <mob...@tulane.edu> deserves a cookie for saying:
> > OK, an update -- I killed a cockatrice and [CAREFULLY] wielded its
> > corpse against mine enemies, including the Wiz, his double, his triple
> > (I'm pretty sure - are there three of him), and his pet Lich. So now
> > I've got all the loot I need, EXCEPT the Bell! I thought he had stolen
> > the bell as well as the book and candelabrum, but I don't find it, and
> > busted open all the statues of him and all his pets -- no bell. His pet
> > Lich picked up the Book after I killed the Wiz -- I didn't know Liches
> > would do that -- is it possible some other monster has the Bell?
>
> Hmm. I don't know any monsters that want the Bell specifically. The
> Wizard, I believe, but I don't know who else.
>
> > And by the way, what's the deal with the Wiz and his Double both
> > having the Amulet? Now I've got two Amulets in by bag. Are they both
> > real?
>
> If both are in your bag, neither is real.

There are four items which "cannot be confined in [any] trappings"
meaning they can never be put into any kind of container. Destroying
3 of these items might make the game unwinnable; destroying the other
one would absolutely make the game unwinnable...

I'm sure you can figure out what the 3 and 1 item(s) are... and no,
they aren't the rings of power. That's another game ;)

Kevin Wayne

necitită,
30 oct. 2003, 15:48:4730.10.2003
Quoth ewr...@nc.rr.com (Eric Wright) on this day of 29 Oct 2003
14:06:06 -0800:

>There are four items which "cannot be confined in [any] trappings"
>meaning they can never be put into any kind of container. Destroying
>3 of these items might make the game unwinnable; destroying the other
>one would absolutely make the game unwinnable...

Is it *possible* to destroy them?

--
Kevin Wayne

"Stark raving sane."
-- Rosencrantz and Guildenstern

Roger Broadbent

necitită,
30 oct. 2003, 16:16:3330.10.2003
Kevin Wayne <killed...@yahoo.com> wrote in

[Invocation items and amulet]

> Is it *possible* to destroy them?

Not directly - I think in 3.4.1 it was possible to bribe a demon lord
holding an invocation item or the Amulet. They then left the dungeon with
the item. I think that there are other monsters that can leave the dungeon
voluntarily (nurses?) - it might be possible to polymorph a covetous
monster into one of these while holding an item and it subsequently leave
with its inventory.

The DevTeam seem to regard these as bugs however and plug loopholes when
they are found. AFAIK, there is only one way to make the a game unwinnable
while still in progress that is intentional.

Roger

Renata Kussack

necitită,
30 oct. 2003, 17:16:2630.10.2003
Kevin Wayne <killed...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is it *possible* to destroy them?

Years ago, someone ate the bell of opening. (BTW: what did you get as a
message, o Unfortunate One? "This Bell of Opening tastes delicious". A
singe "Buuurp" would be nice;)?

Greetings,
Renata :)

--
Hat sich die Katze in Ihrer Hand festgebissen,
läßt sie sich unter fließend Wasser leicht entfernen.

Dylan O'Donnell

necitită,
30 oct. 2003, 18:29:2230.10.2003
Roger Broadbent <rdb_spa...@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> Kevin Wayne <killed...@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
> [Invocation items and amulet]
> >
> > Is it *possible* to destroy them?
>
> [...] I think that there are other monsters that can leave the dungeon
> voluntarily (nurses?) - it might be possible to polymorph a covetous
> monster into one of these while holding an item and it subsequently leave
> with its inventory.

Nurses aren't polymorphable into.

Eva Myers

necitită,
31 oct. 2003, 05:12:4131.10.2003
ren...@berlin.snafu.de (Renata Kussack) writes:

> Kevin Wayne <killed...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Is it *possible* to destroy them?
>
> Years ago, someone ate the bell of opening. (BTW: what did you get as a
> message, o Unfortunate One? "This Bell of Opening tastes delicious". A
> singe "Buuurp" would be nice;)?

Presumably that was a bug and was fixed a long time ago? From a bit
of source diving, it looks to me as though neither you nor other
monsters are ever permitted to eat any of the invocation items or the
Amulet of Yendor.
Eva.

--
Eva Myers, Computer Officer, Statistical Laboratory, University of Cambridge
Email: erm...@cam.ac.uk WWW: http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~eva/

5parrow

necitită,
31 oct. 2003, 12:01:3831.10.2003
Roger Broadbent wrote:
> The DevTeam seem to regard these as bugs however and plug loopholes when
> they are found. AFAIK, there is only one way to make the a game unwinnable
> while still in progress that is intentional.

...And that way isn't available after certain things have been done,
right? (Just to confirm.)

- 5parrow

Rast

necitită,
31 oct. 2003, 20:31:3931.10.2003
Jukka Lahtinen wrote on 31 Oct 2003 22:57:45 +0200 in article
> 5parrow <mail....@gtg692n.edu> writes:

> > Roger Broadbent wrote:
>
> > > they are found. AFAIK, there is only one way to make the a game unwinnable
> > > while still in progress that is intentional.
>
> > ...And that way isn't available after certain things have been done,
> > right? (Just to confirm.)
>
> Right. There's one way to make your game absolutely unascendable no matter
> what you try to do to make things as they were and what ever your
> capabilities are, IF there's one particular thing you haven't done yet.

You're talking about making the Quest unavailable before completing it, but
there are variations on that. For example, leave the Amulet and the "Eye in
the Quest area and then get kicked out permanently.

Also, this looks rather unwinnable to me:

Wiped out all xorns. You return to human form!

+-+ +-+ +-+
? ? ?@? ? ?
" +-+---------+-+
? ? ? ?
+---? +---+
? > ? + ?

--
There walked into the lethal quicksands a very old man in tattered purple,
crowned with withered vine-leaves and gazing ahead as if upon the golden

David Corbett

necitită,
31 oct. 2003, 21:06:5231.10.2003
Rast wrote:
> Jukka Lahtinen wrote on 31 Oct 2003 22:57:45 +0200 in article
>
>>5parrow <mail....@gtg692n.edu> writes:

>>>...And that way isn't available after certain things have been done,
>>>right? (Just to confirm.)
>>
>>Right. There's one way to make your game absolutely unascendable no matter
>>what you try to do to make things as they were and what ever your
>>capabilities are, IF there's one particular thing you haven't done yet.
>

> You're talking about making the Quest unavailable before completing it, but
> there are variations on that. For example, leave the Amulet and the "Eye in
> the Quest area and then get kicked out permanently.
>
> Also, this looks rather unwinnable to me:
>
> Wiped out all xorns. You return to human form!
>
> [snip partial screenshot of Vlad's]

Not quite. You've forgotten about earth elementals, which are
non-genocidable (and a valid polymorph target).

Pat Rankin

necitită,
31 oct. 2003, 22:26:1131.10.2003
In article <86llr28...@strackenz.spod-central.org>,\
psm...@spod-central.org writes...

> Roger Broadbent <rdb_spa...@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>> [...] I think that there are other monsters that can leave the dungeon
>> voluntarily (nurses?) - it might be possible to polymorph a covetous
>> monster into one of these while holding an item and it subsequently leave
>> with its inventory.
>
> Nurses aren't polymorphable into.

But Kops are. I don't think this issue is worth worrying about....

David J. Grabiner

necitită,
31 oct. 2003, 23:27:4331.10.2003
Rast <ra...@hotmail.com> writes:

> Also, this looks rather unwinnable to me:
>
> Wiped out all xorns. You return to human form!
>
> +-+ +-+ +-+
> ? ? ?@? ? ?
> " +-+---------+-+
> ? ? ? ?
> +---? +---+
> ? > ? + ?

If you are stuck surrounded by walls, that is a major trouble, and your
god can help you out of it.

(This protects you against rehumanizing inside solid rock, or
teleporting into a 1x1 closet after some other creature has already
teleported there and picked up the scroll.)

--
David Grabiner, grab...@alumni.princeton.edu, http://remarque.org/~grabiner
Baseball labor negotiations FAQ: http://remarque.org/~grabiner/laborfaq.html

Boudewijn Waijers

necitită,
1 nov. 2003, 07:17:3201.11.2003
Jukka Lahtinen, cunningly disguised as juk...@despammed.com wrote:

> However, I don't think that many of us would go back to the quest while
> already carrying the Amulet, Candelabrum or the Book.
> (I know, I know, it is *possible* and somebody probably has done it, but
> it's just not very likely thing to do.)

The game even anticipates on your doing it: there are special messages
from your quest leader if you pay him or her a visit to report your
well-being and announce that you're on your way to offer the amulet.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (bwaijers at tiscali.nl).

"Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others."

Tars_Tarkas

necitită,
1 nov. 2003, 09:15:1101.11.2003
Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Jukka Lahtinen, cunningly disguised as juk...@despammed.com wrote:
>

>>However, I don't think that many of us would go back to the quest while
>>already carrying the Amulet, Candelabrum or the Book.
>>(I know, I know, it is *possible* and somebody probably has done it, but
>> it's just not very likely thing to do.)
>

> The game even anticipates on your doing it: there are special messages
> from your quest leader if you pay him or her a visit to report your
> well-being and announce that you're on your way to offer the amulet.

Just for the record, all my ascended characters (except my YAFAP, IIRC)
have visited their Quest Leaders with the Amulet. It's not _that_ much
of a detour. Sure, Rodney might show up, and he might steal the AoY and
he might dump it into a pool of water when you kill him and then you
might have to get it back somehow, but, like that's ever going to
happen... ;)
--
GP_Spukgestalt, elfish Priest, killed by kitten.

Seraphim

necitită,
1 nov. 2003, 11:46:1201.11.2003
Jukka Lahtinen <juk...@despammed.com> wrote in

> Rast <ra...@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> You're talking about making the Quest unavailable before completing
>> it, but there are variations on that. For example, leave the
>> Amulet and the "Eye in the Quest area and then get kicked out
>> permanently.
>

> Yeah, that could be considered a variation.

> However, I don't think that many of us would go back to the quest
> while already carrying the Amulet, Candelabrum or the Book.

Doesn't the quest leader actually tell you to 'return for advice once you
have the amulet' when you approach him/her/it with the quest artifact?

MBO

necitită,
4 nov. 2003, 14:28:0104.11.2003
UPDATE: I still haven't been able to recover the dang Bell, and I've
killed Rodney several times and can't understand how I'm supposed to get
the REAL Amulet, so I'm getting frustrated and contemplating suicide
(within the game, of course). But for future reference in future games,
I have a question: Will Rodney respect the E-word? And if I leave the
Bell or Book or Candelabrum on an E-word protected square near the
vibrating square while going to fetch the other artifacts, will the
E-word not get scuffed in my absence?

--Mark

Erik

necitită,
5 nov. 2003, 06:48:2305.11.2003
MBO <mob...@tulane.edu> wrote in message news:<3FA7FDA6...@tulane.edu>...

@'s don't respect the E-word. Nor do certain other creatures... :)

If you can find a crystal ball and a couple of scrolls of charging,
you could search the levels around where you lost the Bell.

Finally, rather than suiciding (unless you're intentionally trying to
leave a bones file) you should just exit the dungeon. You keep a
higher score that way.

Erik

MBO

necitită,
5 nov. 2003, 11:38:0805.11.2003

Jukka Lahtinen wrote:

> Lesson: It's easier to get the Bell before getting the Book.. (or did he
> steal it from you before you got to the vibrating square?)

Yes, it was stolen from me. Curses!

> I generally drop the Bell and Candelabrum next to the stairs on the
> vibrating square level, to keep Rodney from stealing or cursing them and
> to free those inventory slots (and reduce weight..). I know I won't need
> them before coming back through that staircase, anyway.
> Oh, and one more hint: you can attach the candles to the Candelabrum as
> soon as you find it. That way the candles won't encumber you any more, and
> they can't be stolen. They will always be where the Candelabrum is.

This is helpful -- thanks!

--
Mark

Kevin Wayne

necitită,
6 nov. 2003, 06:26:1406.11.2003
Quoth Erik_Os...@ieee.org (Erik) on this day of 5 Nov 2003
03:48:23 -0800:

>MBO <mob...@tulane.edu> wrote in message news:<3FA7FDA6...@tulane.edu>...
>> UPDATE: I still haven't been able to recover the dang Bell, and I've
>> killed Rodney several times and can't understand how I'm supposed to get
>> the REAL Amulet, so I'm getting frustrated and contemplating suicide
>> (within the game, of course). But for future reference in future games,
>> I have a question: Will Rodney respect the E-word? And if I leave the
>> Bell or Book or Candelabrum on an E-word protected square near the
>> vibrating square while going to fetch the other artifacts, will the
>> E-word not get scuffed in my absence?
>>
>> --Mark
>
>@'s don't respect the E-word. Nor do certain other creatures... :)
>
>If you can find a crystal ball and a couple of scrolls of charging,
>you could search the levels around where you lost the Bell.

You could also run upstairs to the main dungeon, find some nymphs to
kill, get their potions of object detection, and then go back down and
use them on levels where you think you might find the Bell.

This may be a stupid question, but, you did do the Quest and got the
Bell from there, right? I only ask because you did get fooled by the
fake amulets, and there can be other bells lying around.

Kevin Wayne

necitită,
6 nov. 2003, 06:26:1606.11.2003
Quoth Jukka Lahtinen <juk...@despammed.com> on this day of 05 Nov 2003
17:21:46 +0200:

>I generally drop the Bell and Candelabrum next to the stairs on the
>vibrating square level, to keep Rodney from stealing or cursing them and
>to free those inventory slots (and reduce weight..). I know I won't need
>them before coming back through that staircase, anyway.

Just as another point of view....

I never leave items lying around on a level on the basis that "nothing
happens on a level while you're not on it." From my point of view
(ymmv) that's an abuse, and I wish the game randomly moved around
monsters when you reentered a level, and also that items would have a
chance of disappearing from a stash and reappearing in some monster's
inventory (percentage chance dropping if the stash was in a container,
locked, under a boulder, on Elbereth, etc.).

Anyway, the way I usually play, leaving the invocation items by the
stairs wouldn't help much. I usually make sure I'm ascension-ready
before I enter the Wizard's Castle--and as you'll see, this involves
having a means of TC and having already identified the VS. When I make
my way to the Wizard's Island, I find a way to levitate or freeze the
moat, and then 1) Dig (spell or wand) into the Wizard's tower and
2)zap /oDeath. I run in, pry the Book from Rodney's cold, dead fingers
and then levelport down to the VS level. I could appear anywhere on
the level--not necessarily by the stairs--so I teleport over to the
VS. Two turns after grabbing the Book, (four or five after
encountering the Wizard for the first time) I'm ready for the
invocation. The earliest Rodney's ever bothered me is on the Sanctum
level.

On the Bell--where does Rodney go when stealing stuff? (This is not a
rhetorical question; I don't know the answer.) Does he bring it back
to the top of the tower? Have you checked there? I'd also sift through
the rubble where you stoned the Rodneys again. If he doesn't stash it
somewhere, I would think it should be there.

0 mesaje noi