7DRL Success: PlantForce

purplearcanist

Oct 15, 2009, 10:59:39 PM10/15/09
I have successfully programmed my 7DRL in less than 7 days. I hope I
made a good attempt at my first complete roguelike. Enjoy the
resulting game. Anyways, as I really liked the idea of the 7DRL, I
hope this gets included with the other Roguelikes in the competition,
and I hope that I can enter more 7DRLs.

To play, simply click on this link. Java web start will start the
program automatically:

http://sites.google.com/site/eliotsprograms/launch.jnlp

No guarentees that it will work if you don't have Java 1.6. Anyways,
have fun!

Features include:

* 11 different monsters, each with varying speed, health, and quirks
* Plants that have different features, which change in subsequent
generations
* No health, instead a hunger system that requires food to block
attacks.
* 3 different attack styles, and 4 different plant magicks, all tied
to a practice-based skill system.
* Ground fertility, which can be modified to affect the lifespan of
your plants.

I am a little concerned about balance, and I would like some input.
Also, I am afraid that there are some bugs in the 7DRL that were not
fixed. Anyways, please help me by reporting any bugs you find, or any
suggestions for feature improvements or balance. Also, I want to know
what you thought about the game.

P.S. I feel a little intimidated by the amount of roguelike sites out
there, such as Roguebasin. Can someone help me put my success on
these sites so that I can interest other people.

Nik Coughlin

Oct 16, 2009, 12:06:18 AM10/16/09
"purplearcanist" <ejg...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>I have successfully programmed my 7DRL in less than 7 days. I hope I
> made a good attempt at my first complete roguelike. Enjoy the
> resulting game. Anyways, as I really liked the idea of the 7DRL, I
> hope this gets included with the other Roguelikes in the competition,
> and I hope that I can enter more 7DRLs.
>
> To play, simply click on this link. Java web start will start the
> program automatically:
>
> http://sites.google.com/site/eliotsprograms/launch.jnlp

No luck here (Java 6/1.6.0_16):

com.sun.deploy.net.FailedDownloadException: Unable to load resource:
file:/home/eliot/PlantLife/dist/launch.jnlp

If I save and open the jnlp I see the name of your jar, if I download the
jar and run that I get a black screen that does nothing until I press
escape, at which point I get the oh noes you failed to defend yourself
dialog.

Dirk Zimmermann

Oct 16, 2009, 5:07:15 AM10/16/09
Good job :)

Unfortunately I experience an error too:

com.sun.deploy.net.FailedDownloadException: Unable to load resource:
file:/home/eliot/PlantLife/dist/launch.jnlp

at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.actionDownload
(DownloadEngine.java:1347)
at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getCacheEntry
(DownloadEngine.java:1487)
at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getCacheEntry
(DownloadEngine.java:1465)
at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResourceCacheEntry
(DownloadEngine.java:1568)
at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResourceCacheEntry
(DownloadEngine.java:1496)
at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResource(DownloadEngine.java:
217)
at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResource(DownloadEngine.java:
201)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.updateFinalLaunchDesc(Launcher.java:447)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareToLaunch(Launcher.java:232)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareToLaunch(Launcher.java:183)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:104)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Main.java:405)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Main.java:252)
at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Main.java:111)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:637)

I'm on Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8, I have switched to 1.6.0_15.

-- Dirk http://blog.dirkz.com

David Damerell

Oct 16, 2009, 5:44:58 AM10/16/09
Quoting purplearcanist <ejg...@yahoo.com>:
>* No health, instead a hunger system that requires food to block
>attacks.

One has to wonder how this is not health with a different hat on.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Oil is for sissies
Yesterday was First Epithumia, October - a weekend.

purplearcanist

Oct 16, 2009, 8:43:11 AM10/16/09
On Oct 15, 10:06 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <nrkn....@gmail.com> wrote:
> "purplearcanist" <ejg_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I am trying to solve your problem with this game. I download it, and
your bug is reproduced. I try my image file, still buggy. Looks like
I am going to have to try to fix this before the 7DRL contest is up.

purplearcanist

Oct 16, 2009, 10:54:24 AM10/16/09
On Oct 15, 10:06 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <nrkn....@gmail.com> wrote:
> "purplearcanist" <ejg_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Guys, rest assured, I know why the bug is occuring. It will be fixed
ASAP, and you should be able to play Plant Force 7DRL. In spite of
this, I got it to work on my computer, so I suppose this counts as a
win.

purplearcanist

Oct 20, 2009, 11:37:57 PM10/20/09