Pixel Dungeon

Watabou

Nov 28, 2012, 9:04:57 AM11/28/12
Hi guys!

I'd like to present my upcoming game for Android devices "Pixel Dungeon". It's rather tradional roguelike in many ways (random levels, permadeath, identifiable items etc) but utilizes uncommon stats system similar to Brogue's one. The game got pixel-art graphics and I tried to make UI as easy and intuitive as possible.
I'm going to release Pixel Dungeon within a week.

Here's the link: http://pixeldungeon.watabou.ru

Right now it redirects to http://pixeldungeon.launchrock.com/ - "please enter your details blah-blah-blah", don't take it too serious, I'm just trying this service out :) I will announce the release here anyway.

Cheers!

Watabou

Nov 29, 2012, 6:34:11 AM11/29/12

Watabou

Dec 2, 2012, 3:23:29 PM12/2/12

Watabou

Dec 4, 2012, 10:03:56 AM12/4/12

alex23

Dec 9, 2012, 7:11:38 PM12/9/12
On Dec 5, 1:03 am, Watabou <odo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Finally released :)https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.watabou.pixeldungeon

Congrats! It's great, esp. for free, better than a lot of the
commercial ones.

David Melik

Dec 9, 2012, 7:20:59 PM12/9/12
Closed source programs are not great. I tried to reply to the author to
say we discuss algorithms/code here, but apparently it went as an email
rather than Usenet reply.

Gerry Quinn

Dec 9, 2012, 9:25:43 PM12/9/12
In article <ka39tb$c2g$1...@dont-email.me>, dchm...@hipplanet.com says...
The quality of a program has nothing to do with whether its source is
open or closed.

I agree this is a dev forum, but I don't think a post about a new
roguelike is a problem. I would cc here from .announce if I released
one too. 7-day roguelike competitions etc. get posted here irrespective
of whether algorithms are discussed.

- Gerry Quinn

Watabou

Dec 10, 2012, 5:33:24 AM12/10/12
I received your email and duplicated this topic in rec.games.roguelike.announce but I don't know if it's possible to delete the topic here (I'm not used to newsgroups tbh).

And thanks for your replies :)

saqq...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2012, 8:27:52 PM12/16/12
Hi Wabatou,

I recently found your game through a post on the r/roguelikes sub-reddit. I've played it for a few hours now and I've found a few bugs and I have a few suggestions, having been a huge fan of Brogue myself.

Firstly, I experienced a problem where all rooms had been explored except a locked door and I had no keys from that floor to unlock it. As you can imagine, I couldn't progress any further.

The second bug I experienced was a total exploration of a floor with no downstairs, so I couldn't progress from there.

Will you be adding a shop similar to Stone Soup? I know Brogue doesn't have any use for the gold that you accumulate other than to increase your score, but gear seems to be a bit more scarce. Having a shop would be a nice combination of Stone Soup and Brogue that would make gear a little bit more obtainable. Several times I've walked around with armor that has 17 strength requirement and I can't progress because strength potions are so few and far inbetween, or I reach level problems like I mentioned above.

Lastly, I just want to commend you on what a great job you've done on the graphics for the game. The animations are extremely fluid, especially the unlocking animation. I'm eager to see more monsters and more weapons from you. If you'd like to contact me about any of this, my email is saqqarai {a} gmail.com.

Keep up the great work!

- Ashley

digg...@gmail.com

Oct 3, 2013, 4:36:43 AM10/3/13
Hi Watabou, I love this game! I've completed it multiple times. Please release source code so I can have even more fun with it..

alex.d...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2014, 2:15:32 PM8/1/14
What program was used to make pixel dungeon?

alex23

Aug 7, 2014, 10:46:43 PM8/7/14

It was developed in Java: https://github.com/watabou/pixel-dungeon