Potentially hosting IRDC (Europe!) at University of Lincoln (UK). Thoughts/details inside!

Mark Johnson

Feb 9, 2015, 6:10:59 AM2/9/15
Hello, my fellow roguelikers:

Last year's IRDC in Berlin was great, and I've been thinking of hosting this year's in the UK. I'm mostly associated with the academic world so I thought it would make sense to try and host it in tandem with a university to potentially get staff support, food & drink, etc. Sure enough the University of Lincoln (which hosts a big game design undergraduate & research program, and I'm in contact with some of the staff there anyway) have expressed clear interest in doing so, and have said that they're confident there would be both a number of students/staff interested in coming along and they could provide a room, refreshments, etc.

So: I propose hosting it there. I'll do all the arrangements, setup etc, and the plan would be to host it around the time of the previous IRDC, so something like May 2-3 or 9-10. Same model as before - everyone, be they well-known developer or fan is welcome to come and present, it is an "unconference" where the schedule is decided on on the day, and like in Berlin, something along the lines of one day of talks (the first day) and one day of game demonstrations (the second day) worked very well (though inevitably there was always going to be a little bit of overlap between the two).

Travel-wise, Humberside, Robin Hood, and East Midlands airports are the closest, and just one subsequent train journey away (and larger airports like Manchester are also not too far off, and there's also a direct and very fast train which just goes straight up from London). Lincoln's a very old English town, with both a massive cathedral and a (rather interesting) castle for those who fancy some sightseeing. I'll look into potential accommodation spots once I've gauged interest.

Let me know what you think! Would you attend? Do you have any questions? What (if anything) would you like to present (bearing in mind anyone/everyone can present, but there's also no need to present if you're just interested in attending and meeting other roguelikers)? As much feedback as possible at this point would be great, and assuming a decent number are happy with this, then I'll move forward with getting it set up with Lincoln.

David Damerell

Feb 12, 2015, 1:01:17 PM2/12/15
Quoting Mark Johnson <mrj...@york.ac.uk>:
>Let me know what you think! Would you attend?

I suspect there's about a 75% chance I would if it were in Lincoln.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
If we aren't perfectly synchronised this corncob will explode!