Seven Day Roguelike 2015: Call For Dates

Jeff Lait

Jan 21, 2015, 9:49:20 AM1/21/15
It is now time for the eleventh annual Seven Day Roguelike Challenge!

First, what is a Seven Day Roguelike?

After eleven years, I'm not going to tell you.

We are continuing our tradition of not using a fixed date,
but instead having a vote to allow the community to shift
the time if necessary.

We had a lot of success with the web-based registration for
the challenge last year, so plan on doing the same this year.
This means we will not be using rec.games.roguelike.development
for the registration process. We will post here more
instructions closer to the date.

We are repeating last year's approach and using a google form for
the date selection process:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1sXrcIPoszMnfvWCZZcQS4v7zwVQcvQixuEIc-HhFex4/viewform

Feel free to kibitz about the dates/process in this thread,
but votes on this thread will not be counted. Instead
we shall try to use the results of that poll.

NOTE: The cabal (there is no cabal) has decided to move the
call for dates to the first Wednesday of the year, rather
than the second last Wednesday. This will give more time from
the picking of the date to the actual event. This is your
chance to argue about that change!

We have plans of trying to mail people reminders if they
provide their email addresses. I'm not going to promise
that will succeed however.

In case you have USENET access but no web access:

The available weeks are:
1) February 21st to March 1st
2) February 28th to March 8th
3) March 7th to March 15th
--
Jeff Lait

Darren Grey

Jan 21, 2015, 10:21:58 AM1/21/15
On Wednesday, 21 January 2015 14:49:20 UTC, Jeff Lait wrote:
> It is now time for the eleventh annual Seven Day Roguelike Challenge!

I still think this voting thing is a bit silly. It always ends up as the
latest date anyway. Having a set date each year (say the week after GDC)
would be much easier for everyone to plan around.

I'm not sure how we get traditions changed around here though :-/

--
Darren Grey

Jeff Lait

Jan 25, 2015, 8:18:05 PM1/25/15
Says the person who just changed one! This very post is pushing
the voting forward three weeks due to your suggestion.

To answer your question from my own viewpoint:

a) I like voting. It brings the community in to think of the 7DRL earlier than would happen without voting. It also democratizes the challenge a bit. If we as a community keep voting the last week, that isn't really a failure of the voting. It might be a bit of busy work, but think of it as social grooming and it may make more sense? We vote for the date for the same reason we talk about the weather.

b) Week after GDC isn't a set time, GDC keeps moving. I'd rather just have a fixed date like "Week containing second last wednesday of march" or similar, which can be run independently of external organizations.

c) The best argument for a set time is people can potentially book vacation around it. Most other bookings (like with SOs) probably don't need quite as much lead time. Especially with your move of the selection date back by three weeks there should be plenty of time. I'm not sure they can be moved any earlier, as voting in December would break the fresh year feel...

This is all my own thoughts, of course, I don't mean them to be absolutes.