A-List Games

1 view

Ron, (Boatcat)

May 20, 2009, 1:11:57 PM5/20/09

I would imagine this was done before, but
Googling gets all kinds of results to have to go through.
Also not trying to start a controversy, just would like to
have a look. What are what most consider the A-List
Games??

kyle0...@aol.com

May 20, 2009, 1:20:04 PM5/20/09

I would think
MM
MB
CC

and then depending on the person
TZ
CV
TAF
TOTAN
SS
TOM
SC

I think everyone has their own idea of what is on the "A" list, but
this is what I consider on the A list. I am probably missing a few
but off the top of my head this is what I came up with.
Kyle

btrip

May 20, 2009, 1:28:23 PM5/20/09

Don't forget AFM.

solid187

May 20, 2009, 1:34:23 PM5/20/09
> Don't forget AFM.- Hide quoted text -

and now SM.

Taxman

May 20, 2009, 1:43:50 PM5/20/09
I disagree with CC. It gets top $ but is not fun. I would say

Top 10 : A list
MM
AFM
MB
TZ
LOTR
IJ
TAF
SS
ToM
TOTAN
(hey, I own all those)

Many will include
TSPP
CV
STTNG

The B+ List starts
SM
CFTBL
FH
WH2O

Lloyd Olson

May 20, 2009, 1:53:01 PM5/20/09
Ones that start with "A". LTG :)

"Ron, (Boatcat)" <Boat...@aol.com> wrote in message

tktlwyr

May 20, 2009, 1:54:10 PM5/20/09
Funny how White Water has been in Treasure Cove's Top 10 for 5 years
straight (climbing every year, no less) and not considered an "A"
Title.

I also have to cast a vote for S-M. Great game became greater with
the recent software updates. A title!

MonsterBash

May 20, 2009, 1:55:23 PM5/20/09
Surely BBB must be there..

Ed in Texas

May 20, 2009, 2:06:27 PM5/20/09

My A list games are:

Party Zone
Diner
Spider-Man (Stern)
Elvira and the Party Monsters
DE Star Wars
Mousin Around
Last Action Hero

of course this is my current gameroom line up :D

Taxman

May 20, 2009, 2:12:46 PM5/20/09
> My A list games are:
> of course this is my current gameroom line up :D

Sounds like a reasonable definition to me ;-)

Taxman

May 20, 2009, 2:23:25 PM5/20/09
> Surely BBB must be there..

Why? Just becuase it is expensive and/or rare does not make it a top
game. To me (and this is just my opinion) being an "A" list simpley
means a large number of people consider the game fun. To the point
where it usually creates a demand that drives up or maintains a price
as time goes on. But price is more of an effect of the demand that
rarity.

Heck, there were a huge number of TAF machines made. Nowhere near
rare, yet it holds its own through the years. I agree with "tktlwyr"
about WH20, I put it in "my" top 5 games. But enough people do not
like it for whatever reasons that keep it rising to the top in
general. Many people get one decide it is not for them and flip it
back onto the market. While people who get MM, AFM, MB tend to keep
them even though they know they can get top dollar (or 3 other
machines) for them.

It is the exact opposite of Popeye. Why I have heard tales of a man
who had one shipped to his house, waited in anticipation for its
arrival and yet after less than a day realized why it just never made
the grade ;-)

Dave "Taxman" http://www.pinbald.com

Brian

May 20, 2009, 2:53:12 PM5/20/09
This topic sees more wear than a routed-since-new High Speed
playfield.

Few afficionados' A-lists will be the same, especially considering
pindom encompasses pure mechanical, electromechanical, solid state and
DMD production eras.

Brian

seymour-shabow

May 20, 2009, 2:53:51 PM5/20/09

2 hours was the total tally I hear. That might just be a record.

I'm not going to delve into the A level argument - I think people should
buy what they like, you will always find a detractor for a game that you
think is great, just as my collection is not everyone's set of favorites
either.

-scott CARGPB#29

faz

May 20, 2009, 2:55:27 PM5/20/09
On May 20, 12:11 pm, "Ron, (Boatcat)" <Boatca...@aol.com> wrote:

I gotta say, any game with a pinball inside it is "A" in my book. I
must have tried every game at Expo last year and I thought they all
had something to offer. EM, Early SS, SS, you name it!

If you want to know popular, that's a different story.
faz
My 2¢.

Captain Neo

May 20, 2009, 2:59:48 PM5/20/09
This is the definate A list. Don't let anyone tell you different.
It's the offical list of A titles.

CV
TZ
TAF
LOTR
Stargate
Batman forever
GNR
TOTAN
RFM
JP
SW DE
Time Machine DE
Shadow
SST
POTO
O1

that is the complete list. No more....no less. Write them down.
Read it. Live it. Love it.

seymour-shabow

May 20, 2009, 3:01:38 PM5/20/09

Looks suspiciously like Capt. Neo's collection......

-scott CARGPB#29

gpsdrew

May 20, 2009, 3:14:20 PM5/20/09
yeah this is like asking who's girlfriend/wife is the best looking...
:)

Abby Normal

May 20, 2009, 3:16:38 PM5/20/09
What? No Genesis?

loo...@goatstore.com

May 20, 2009, 4:45:16 PM5/20/09

Don't be silly, that's a Stern game.

A games are games that say "Bally" or "Williams" on the backglass. B
games are everything else. At least, that is what I think judging by
what a lot of people around here say!

Max Badazz

May 20, 2009, 6:07:47 PM5/20/09
>  What are what most consider the A-List Games??

Any game you are about to sell......A list
Any game you are about to buy...... not A list

Chris (in NH)
http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/maxbadazz

PT

May 20, 2009, 6:14:55 PM5/20/09
LOL: DE games! Sorry, the A-list only includes select WPC and Stern
DMD games...

In no particular order:

MM
AFM
MB
IJ (not IJ4!)
TZ
TAF
TOM
SS
TOtAN
CV
SC
LOTR
SM

John
(My A-list would include WPT and STTNG, but I'm not as egocentric as
Neo)

freeman

May 20, 2009, 6:51:38 PM5/20/09
> have a look.  What are what most consider the A-List
> Games??

You have the freedom to create your own list.
I did. Neo Did.

http://home.comcast.net/~sfreeman196492mi/pinball_ratings.htm

Ron, (Boatcat)

May 21, 2009, 8:48:09 AM5/21/09

I'm aware I have the freedom to create
my own list.
My reason for posting is that I am
primarily an EM Guy, and don't get much
exposure to what's popular of '90's games, etc,
(except for the obvious, MM, AF, CC). That's
why I asked, "What are WHAT MOST consider
the A-List Games?"
I should have specified "High Speed
and newer," with the assumption the newer
games are more popular with this newsgroup.
Thanks for the replies so far.
Ron

azpinlawyer

May 21, 2009, 9:09:54 AM5/21/09
When I'm asked this question, I don't think of my favorite games--I
think of the "conventional wisdom." IMO, The "A-list" is:

MM
CC
MB
AFM
CV
SC
SS
LOTR
TSPP
TAF (G)

Then.....
TAF
TZ
TOM
Banzai
BBB
Spidey

Then....
WH2O
Shadow
BSD
STTNG
GNR

azpinlawyer

May 21, 2009, 9:10:34 AM5/21/09

Oops--stick TOTAN and IJ in with the TZ bunch

rudy gulp ptooie

May 21, 2009, 10:10:17 AM5/21/09
Not a bad list, although FH has to be in there somewhere. Not a DMD
game, but a hugely popular and highly sought after game from the '90s.

Ted

frenchy

May 26, 2009, 11:02:36 AM5/26/09
<<To me (and this is just my opinion) being an "A" list simpley
means a large number of people consider the game fun. >>

I think it's more like 'a large number of people consider the game
rated high by a large number of people" ; ) I don't know that I
would only use the word 'fun' either, lots of people rate the 'aura'
of a game very high, or the theme/license, the complexity, size of the
rulesheet, artwork, sound/effects package, and other factors.
Sometimes I wonder if people would have significantly different lists
if they were asked to list those games that are most fun, and those
they'd most like to own. (?)

Taxman

May 26, 2009, 11:25:10 AM5/26/09
True, a game like ToM or TOTAN get extra points for looking good. But
many people (not me) complain about the music of White Water that
knocks it down.

Fun is the wrong word, but the rating systems on sites like IPDB and
Pinside take the other factors into the equation.

Dave "Taxman" http://www.pinbald.com

jar...@gmail.com

May 26, 2009, 11:51:42 AM5/26/09

I don't think you can safely just dismiss Data East simply because
they're Data East. DE gets the snob treatment real bad, but they do
have some surefire winners. Jurassic Park is great! I'd put that in my
top 20 without any reservation. Guns N' Roses is fun, if you can
manage to find one to play for a bit. A lot of people like the DE Star
Wars too and would pay a good price to own one.

I don't think it's wise to just dismiss all that Data East put out
just because they aren't Bally/Williams.