What Do You Guys Think Of The AVATAR Trailers?

Steve

Nov 29, 2009, 10:19:20 PM11/29/09
What do you think of the trailer? Does the movie seem to be a piece of
work, or a piece of S$%#?

Steve

Own a Piece of Pinball History
steveritchiepinball.com

Pinball Plus

Nov 29, 2009, 10:21:14 PM11/29/09

Looks like garbage.

Lloyd Olson

Nov 29, 2009, 10:24:03 PM11/29/09
First thing I thought of was I hope the blue guy doesn't sport a five foot
dick like the blue guy in Watchmen. LTG :)

"Steve" <kin...@aol.com> wrote in message

Michael O'Brien

Nov 29, 2009, 10:25:22 PM11/29/09
So far? Looks great. Interested to read the initial reviews soon...

Jack Grenuk (The Kid)

Nov 29, 2009, 10:27:45 PM11/29/09
On Nov 29, 10:25 pm, "Michael O'Brien" <michaelrobr...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> So far? Looks great. Interested to read the initial reviews soon...

I think it'll be good. I'd like to see a better trailer but I think it
has potential.

Jack Grenuk

Sam

Nov 29, 2009, 10:32:22 PM11/29/09

I was impressed with it. The 3D version will be even better.

Sam

Rare Hero

Nov 29, 2009, 10:35:57 PM11/29/09
James Cameron hasn't let me down yet....I like all of his movies.
Dunno if it can live up to the insane amount of hype....but I don't
see any reason it won't be as enjoyable as his others.

Greg

TulsaPin

Nov 29, 2009, 10:36:22 PM11/29/09

I think it looks cool. James said he wrote this story 10 years ago
but just now could het make it with the effects he wanted. Seems this
would make a real cool pinball theme.

Old School Al

Nov 29, 2009, 10:42:21 PM11/29/09
Not very interested from what I have seen. But, being a movie lover I
will see it eventually.

metallik

Nov 29, 2009, 10:45:14 PM11/29/09

Briefly thought it was an ad for a video game... also demerits for
using the incredibly tired cliche "Greatest adventure EVER"

Might check it out when it comes out, but unless initial reviews are
really good, will probably wait for the BD/DVD. Too much CGI.

Rich R

Nov 29, 2009, 10:56:38 PM11/29/09
The theatre "trailer" for Avatar seemed longer than the feature film
we were going to see, recently.
If it gets a decent review, we will go to see if just for the effects.
Of course we will sneaking in the soda and snacks to offset the $9.75
admission ;)
Rich
Bethlehem

Retrogameconnection

Nov 29, 2009, 11:05:55 PM11/29/09

There's a CARGPB candidate.

Anyway, I would agree with Greg. James Cameron is a masterful genius
at what he does who hasn't created a stinker yet. I'm sure this one
will be great. Just the fact that he has the technical prowess needed
to be involved in designing and developing these 3-D cameras that were
used to shoot this movie is enough to make me go see it in the
theatres in 3-D.

I had the pleasure of working with him on Titanic back in 1999 and I
will say that he is one hell of a perfectionist that knows what he
wants! I can't wait to see it personally.

Too bad Steve that you couldn't have convinced Gary Stern to make your
Avatar pin. I'm sure it would have been incredibly successful.

Pinhead!

Nov 29, 2009, 11:13:18 PM11/29/09
I saw the trailer this past Friday before the movie 2012 which I was
dis-appointed with BTW, looks like it will be good, but then again I
thought that about 2012.

Norman

Destruk

Nov 29, 2009, 11:15:47 PM11/29/09
I saw the movie already. It's Battle for Terra with World of Warcraft
graphics. So I don't need to go pay money to see it in a theater,
thanks.

Cliffy

Nov 29, 2009, 11:20:16 PM11/29/09

Looks like another CGI fantasy movie to me. Looks like it's aimed at 25
and under crowd. The premise should be good, if the producers know
exactly what avatar really means. But from the previews alone it seems
formulaic. I sincerely hope I'm wrong. I sincerely hope we get a movie
with a STORY. I've had my fill of flash bang graphics for the sake of
technology and way done with crash boom destroy everything in sight
action movies. Where's the next Blade Runner? :)

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
Home of the world's finest pinball protectors

Gott Lieb?

Nov 29, 2009, 11:30:12 PM11/29/09
I agree 100% with Larry. I thought for certain it was an ad for a
video game. Conversely, I briefly watched the original Star Wars
today. It still amazes me how 30+ year old special effects blow away
today's CGI. I don't mind CGI when it's integrated into a film, but
when the whole film is 75-85% CGI. . . bleck!

I guess I'm just getting old. :-)

Jim

Kingpin

Nov 29, 2009, 11:45:43 PM11/29/09

Avatar could be the defining moment of Digital 3D film or just another
over ambitious director trying to make his dreams come true with CGI
e.g. George Lucas.

I've been looking forward to this since it was announced around 3
years ago. However, when I saw the teaser I said oh no, not blue
tailed jar-jar binks...@#$&. However since seeing the 1st trailer it
looks pretty decent. Looking forward to it, and seeing Steve's Avatar
if it ever comes to the light of day.

If you go so it DO NOT SEE IT IN 2D, that'd be like seeing it in black
and white for all you old EM farts out there. ;-)

Rare Hero

Nov 29, 2009, 11:54:18 PM11/29/09
On Nov 29, 8:20 pm, Cliffy <crin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But from the previews alone it seems formulaic. I sincerely hope I'm wrong. I sincerely hope we get a movie with a STORY.

Well, again - I think Cameron's track record speaks for itself.
Aliens, Terminator, T2, The Abyss, True Lies, Titanic. All big FX
movies, w/ strong stories and characters that audiences connect to.
I can already see his trademarks all over Avatar (strong female
characters, a blue motif, high concept). I dunno why people seem so
down on it, considering the director. I'll be there opening weekend
w/ my 3D glasses on! :)

Greg

mnpinball

Nov 30, 2009, 12:46:33 AM11/30/09

I'd take Ray Harryhausen's "DynaRama" stop motion over CGI any day !!!

pinheaded

Nov 30, 2009, 12:58:31 AM11/30/09
I think the opportunity for this movie to be the most expensive flop
of all time is possible, but the climate for the movie goers is one of
escaping from our daily toil.
It's a coin toss on this baby: Jackpot or Jackass?

mnpinball

Nov 30, 2009, 1:08:30 AM11/30/09
On Nov 29, 9:19 pm, Steve <king...@aol.com> wrote:

I think the Clash of the Titans 2010 remake looks better.
Here is the trailer for it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfCrx25NHr4

But I will still see Avatar.

metallik

Nov 30, 2009, 1:21:27 AM11/30/09
> Briefly thought it was an ad for a video game...  also demerits for
> using the incredibly tired cliche "Greatest adventure EVER"

Oh, I want to note that this is based on a television ad for the
movie, not a trailer... just re-read the topic and saw that it states
trailers :)

Mark Clayton

Nov 30, 2009, 2:42:04 AM11/30/09
Well, Cameron has set himself up so that even if it makes 300-400
million, it will lose money. The first trailers focused more
on beauty shots of the creatures, and had a definite "fairy people"
feminine tilt. This probably didn't test well and the new trailers
on TV emphasize the action and explosions.

2012 was a pointless two-hour blow-em-up so I'm hoping that Avatar
is more than a two-hour shoot-em-up, with the Earth people (i.e.
Americans) ruthlessly kicking the ass of some poor "indigenous"
people. Don't need the PC propaganda. My biggest apprehension is
that Cameron spent too long developing the "perfect CGI breast" and
didn't bother much with the story.

-Mark
-----
http://pinballpal.com

Stephen

Nov 30, 2009, 3:23:09 AM11/30/09
On Nov 29, 8:20 pm, Cliffy <crin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Steve wrote:
> > What do you think of the trailer? Does the movie seem to be a piece of
> > work, or a piece of S$%#?
>
> > Steve
>
> > Own a Piece of Pinball History
> > steveritchiepinball.com
>
>Where's the next Blade Runner? :)
>
> --
> Cliffy - CARGPB2

What we really need is Blade Runner: The Pinball Game, by Steve
Ritchie...!!!

CornCob

Nov 30, 2009, 6:18:25 AM11/30/09

dito! I doubt this will be a let down either. Makes you wonder what
the toys would have been on the never to be pinball?

Ping

chuck

Nov 30, 2009, 7:47:42 AM11/30/09

Looks like the animated blue dudes may not look robotic which will be
a major improvement in CGI. Story may be decent. I'll definitely go
see it.

chuck

Nov 30, 2009, 7:48:23 AM11/30/09

The Abyss??? That movie stunk on ice.

skbrothers

Nov 30, 2009, 9:06:44 AM11/30/09
Where's the next Blade Runner? :)

> --
> Cliffy - CARGPB2
> Home of the world's finest pinball protectorshttp://www.passionforpinball.com

Would love to see a Blade Runner 2 someday.

I remember seeing Blade Runner in the theater and thinking "That
wasn't all that great". But time went by and for whatever reason that
film still resonates with me. This was back at a time when flash bang
graphics (aka Star Wars) were the order of the day.

A thoughtful storyline, believable characters, and immersive
atmosphere are really all that's needed for a good movie, even a Sci-
Fi.

FWIW: Blade Runner is Ridley Scott's favorite of all his own films.
That says a lot considering his work on Alien and Gladiator!

Steve

gpsdrew

Nov 30, 2009, 9:33:30 AM11/30/09
On Nov 29, 10:19 pm, Steve <king...@aol.com> wrote:
> What do you think of the trailer? Does the movie seem to be a piece of
> work, or a piece of S$%#?
>
> Steve
>
> Own a Piece of Pinball History
> steveritchiepinball.com

The only thing I think of when I see the trailer is... what a great
pin you would have made for this theme.

:)
Drew

mnpinball

Nov 30, 2009, 10:06:20 AM11/30/09

Yes, Blade Runner is a masterpeice !!
Good news is that Scott is back on for the next re-boot of the new
Alien movie for 2011.

chuck

Nov 30, 2009, 11:08:31 AM11/30/09

Alien is not in need of a reboot >.>

Give me an original sci-fi movie please.

mnpinball

Nov 30, 2009, 11:31:25 AM11/30/09
> Give me an original sci-fi movie please.- Hide quoted text -

To be fair it's a prequal which I think will be fantastic to see the
origination of the Aliens in Scott's vision.

John In WI

Nov 30, 2009, 11:41:03 AM11/30/09
Steve wrote:
> What do you think of the trailer? Does the movie seem to be a piece of
> work, or a piece of S$%#?
>
> Steve
>
> Own a Piece of Pinball History
> steveritchiepinball.com

I go to very few movies....and this won't be one of them.

--

"Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing�

- Mick Jagger -

John Bigbooty

Dec 1, 2009, 12:36:01 PM12/1/09
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 19:19:20 -0800 (PST), Steve <kin...@aol.com>
wrote:

>What do you think of the trailer? Does the movie seem to be a piece of
>work, or a piece of S$%#?
>
>Steve
>
>Own a Piece of Pinball History
>steveritchiepinball.com

I was wowed when I saw the initial long trailer on the big screen. The
lush environments looked incredible. I'll probably make a point of
seeing it on the big screen.

How much I'll like it will depend upon execution of the storyline. CGI
alone won't carry the movie for me.

Mark
Atlanta GA