SM or LOTR which do you prefer?

jiar...@aol.com

Dec 3, 2009, 11:45:59 AM12/3/09
Lets assume all codes are up to date.
Thanks Jeff

B Coney

Dec 3, 2009, 11:49:47 AM12/3/09
On Dec 3, 11:45 am, "jiaro...@aol.com" <jiaro...@aol.com> wrote:
> Lets assume all codes are up to date.
>                                      Thanks Jeff

I prefer SM by quite a bit. It just seems to flow better for me, the
sounds are awesome and I like the game play a lot better. It also
probably doesn't help that I'm not into the LOTR movies so I never
have been able to get into the game much...so SM for me!!

Brian

jar155

Dec 3, 2009, 12:13:05 PM12/3/09

Both are excellent but I think the modes are much more fun to play
through on LOTR. Spider-Man has much more flash, but LOTR feels like
the deeper and more satisfying game to me in the end.

Can't lose with either one though!

Damon

Dec 3, 2009, 12:41:39 PM12/3/09
I own both and love both of them. LOTR is the greatest machine made
in my opinion but SM is not too far behind for totally different
reasons. Love the speed and flow of SM but the epic feel and depth of
LOTR elevates it.

The Baron

Dec 3, 2009, 12:50:44 PM12/3/09
On Dec 3, 9:45 am, "jiaro...@aol.com" <jiaro...@aol.com> wrote:
> Lets assume all codes are up to date.
>                                      Thanks Jeff

This is a TOUGH question..actually, to me this is the toughest "which
is better" question.

I own a SM and absolutely love it. It's fast and has great flow. The
objectives are simple and doesn't take any time to figure it out.
While the game isn't very deep, it's exciting, fast, and is very
challenging. Plain and simple, this is a just a fun game to play and I
never get tired of it. It's an added bonus that they continually
update the code for it and it's probably the most complete software
package that Stern has released. Also, I am a huge fan of all three SM
movies.

I temporarily have a buddy's LOTR at my house and I wound up playing
it for 3 hours straight last night - I rarely do this on any other
game. LOTR is much deeper than SM and has a lot to shoot for. It's
also requires accurate shots since you often have to shoot multiple
specific ramps/targets to complete a mode. When I complete a mode, I
feel like I really accomplished something. I also think the modes are
exciting - many are hurry up type modes and it really gets the
adrenalin going. I also think with the exception of the poor quality
cab decal art, it's a beautiful game with some really neat toys.
It's a little more stop and go than Spidey due to the path of the
dead, tower, etc, but it's not bad.
I should add that I am NOT a fan of the books or the movies. I read
all the books when I was younger (hated them), and I actually couldn't
even get through the second movie and never bothered to see the third
- but I love the pinball machine.

If I had to choose between the two - I'd probably stick with my SM,
but I'd be trying to figure out how to buy a LOTR down the road (which
is exactly what I may do).

no_credit_dot

Dec 3, 2009, 1:18:55 PM12/3/09
Thats a tough choice. I think LOTR, SM, and TSPP are definitelty
Sterns best. I own LOTR have owned TSPP and play SM at 2 of my
friends place often. I like the epic feeling of LOTR. The darkness
of the game make it exciting when you are doing well. SM is a
beautiful game in its own right. It reminds me of a cross between AFM
and STTNG. I own both of those so I never caught the SM itch so to
speak. SM is a smoother feeling game with more flow. But, I give
LOTR the advantage for the modes, audio and adrenaline rush. DTR is
one of the coolest things in pinball. I cant speak for Valinor
because I have never seen it. I would try and get both if you can.
But, I choose LOTR in a close race.

-mike

John

Dec 3, 2009, 1:19:01 PM12/3/09
You are deciding between Stern's cream of the crop IMHO. I have LOTR
(4 years now) and had a Spidey for 6 months or so. They are both
great games. Lotr gets my nod here though for being complete,
theatrical, great software and having three incredible multi ball
modes that feel like games within themselves. Lotr has more stop and
go in between some of it's flow modes and mb's.

Spidey is fast and furious flow.

I sold the Spidey for two reasons, one being the code was incomplete
and it frustrated me that the wizard mode wasn't theatrical along with
the rest of the game (meaning the wizard mode was mission and
objective based as illustrated on the DMD). In Super Hero mode the
shots are all lit, but at the time it was just hit the lit shots
versus hit the lit shots to beat the villans and save Mary Jo (or
whatever the objective is...). The second reason was at the code
level I had at the time, the animations and shots became too
repetitive and it felt like it was always more of the same
(particularly the villans).

I likened Spidey to AFM. For a couple years it was awesome, but then
I had all the shots memorized and got tired of the same old pound the
center targets to drop them and x hits on the saucer to light a
city...so if you love AFM, you should really love Spidey.

I've become focused on not toiling over these type decisions too much
anymore and just figure I'll buy one now and in a few years (or
sometimes months) I'll get the other.

Good luck.

brokenvette

Dec 3, 2009, 1:30:45 PM12/3/09
On Dec 3, 10:45 am, "jiaro...@aol.com" <jiaro...@aol.com> wrote:
> Lets assume all codes are up to date.
>                                      Thanks Jeff

I have both and I love both. I would have to say that it depends on
what you like. Spidy is fast ,lighthearted, funny and fun. It has many
modes but they are not so hard. It has a lot to do but not to the
point that a average player cant finish it.

LOTR is deep deep deep and is dark and serious. You must complete the
modes and the multiballs to get anywhere past destroy the ring. Maybe
you can get to there and back again without all the elf gifts but I'm
not sure and I have never gotten that far. I have played this game and
gotten so mad that I wanted to put my fist through the glass but I
keep comming back for more.

both are awesome but it depends on what you like. You cant go wrong
with either and that is comming from someone who hated Stern pins. If
I had to pick one to give away it probably would be SM but it would be
tough.

I hope this helped

AAPIN

Dec 3, 2009, 1:50:19 PM12/3/09
Repeating what others have said - both are great games.
It all depends on what you like. SM is fast, funny and flashy, easy
to approach for guests and gets my nod - as a matter of fact, it gets
played far more than my TZ and STTNG.
LOTR is dark and deep and will do a better job of immersing you in the
game.
Find some pinheads in your area that have both, and go play
them...that's the only real way to know.

TBK

Dec 3, 2009, 2:27:44 PM12/3/09

Well put Damon - my feelings exactly!

~Ron R
TBK=The Biggest Kid
"Route-rat extraordinaire!"
SD Pinball Club, OC Pinball League, RGP League

jiar...@aol.com

Dec 3, 2009, 2:34:59 PM12/3/09

I like the easy to understand rules and objective of a SM.

Bingovit

Dec 3, 2009, 2:36:25 PM12/3/09

You can't go wrong with either though I think LOTR is just a tad
better.
It all blends in more nicely, the music, modes, speech etc. I like the
overall feel better but I like both movies.
LOTR has the best soundtrack though.

mnpinball

Dec 3, 2009, 2:48:12 PM12/3/09
On Dec 3, 10:45 am, "jiaro...@aol.com" <jiaro...@aol.com> wrote:
> Lets assume all codes are up to date.
>                                      Thanks Jeff

Spider-Man.....

Craig C

Dec 3, 2009, 2:48:31 PM12/3/09
LOTR.

tktlwyr

Dec 3, 2009, 3:08:52 PM12/3/09

Have both. S-M is fun, LOTR is a mission to work through. Both great
games!

I work all day and want to have fun when I get home.

S-M gets the nod.

acarp...@madixinc.com

Dec 3, 2009, 3:09:39 PM12/3/09

LOTR strength

ring modes are more dynamic than arrow modes
3 mbs are better than DO, BSM, and Combos
Mini wiz modes
Ring frenzy better than combos
Better execution of the theme through out.
No need for MM, more to offer with the same layout

SM strength

more straight forward
Wiz mode is possible
Spidey sense is a nice wrinkle
didn't need to keep AFM, better game
flat out fun

I would have to say Rings, but that is not to say SM is not great in
its own right. Both compliment each other and neither are leaving
anytime soon. For the record I would put these two, TSPP and WOF in
my top 5.

Alan

seymour-shabow

Dec 3, 2009, 3:10:44 PM12/3/09
jiar...@aol.com wrote:
> Lets assume all codes are up to date.
> Thanks Jeff

Both are good games but give the edge to LOTR (for the unintentional humor!)

-scott CARGPB#29

jiar...@aol.com

Dec 3, 2009, 4:09:06 PM12/3/09

I sold AFM as it bacame too repetitive is SM the same situation or is
there more to it?

John

Dec 3, 2009, 5:25:47 PM12/3/09

> I sold AFM as it bacame too repetitive is SM the same situation or is
> there more to it?- Hide quoted text -

I mean it's a bit of a personal call here, but yes at the original
code level, I felt it could get repetitive. Keep in mind,
everyone's opinion varies and the code has been improved since then
with more animations and varied call outs. I should also say I think
that's when I had my games set on 5 ball which is probably a big
mistake for either Spidey or AFM. I think they stand the test of
time much better as three ball games (I've since been reformed and now
have everything set to 3 balls).

All things considered though, LOTR is a deeper game if you fear
repetition. Also, beating any of the three multiball modes feels
better than 90% of WMS pins wizard modes anyway. I love the
objective based multiballs that progress through a movie scene, it's
just a great package.

One day I'll probably have Spidey back, I am anxious to see how the
code has come along.

kimmy

Dec 3, 2009, 6:00:21 PM12/3/09

Spiderman on route still earns $110 weekly..while LOTR only makes $30
you do the math

The Baron

Dec 3, 2009, 6:16:56 PM12/3/09
> you do the math- Hide quoted text -

That sort of supports what I was saying before. The concept for SM
gameplay is simple to grasp right off the bat. Basically you just aim
for the villains. It's fast, fun, and easy to understand and I could
see it doing well on route.
LOTR can be a bit confusing at first to a casual player. I think it
shines once you put some time on it and learn the rules - this
probably makes it more suitable as a home use pin and for long time
ownership.

In other words, if I only had a chance to play LOTR at a pizza parlor
for $1.00 a play, I might not want to pump $20 into it to really learn
what it's all about. However, I can step up to Spidey and bash away at
villains from the first game and feel like I've got an understanding
of what's going on.

Terrapin (No Tilt Bob) Mark

Dec 3, 2009, 6:26:41 PM12/3/09
Spiderman if I had to choose. Both have been in the house.

Mark Salas
CARGPB 30

acarp...@madixinc.com

Dec 3, 2009, 7:38:09 PM12/3/09
> there more to it?- Hide quoted text -

I sold AFM to get SM for the same reason. I think it has more to
offer. However for me Rings is less likely to be repetitive as there
are more objectives to do. Just take the modes on both. SM arrow
modes only requires you to start them. Rings you need to complete
modes to win gifts. Without gift you can only get so far. SM has no
reward that I know of for completing all 5 modes. Rings gives you a
mini wiz (TABA) if you get all 6 gifts. All depends if you consider
the latter a chore. SM is speed/pace, Rings is tact/ and accuracy
with a little speed mixed in. Different strokes..

Rings to me has more staying power in a home enviorment.

cody chunn

Dec 3, 2009, 7:51:01 PM12/3/09
Just to clarify, you get TABA after playing through all the ring modes, not
the gifts.

--
-cody
--CARGPB4

<acarp...@madixinc.com> wrote in message

taylor34

Dec 3, 2009, 10:21:03 PM12/3/09
I had Rings for a little over a year, had Spiderman for like 2
months. There's no question that Spiderman is the more 'fun' game.
It just flows really well from one shot to the next, making it
possible to get on a huge roll. Obviously, like others have
mentioned, LOTR has the deeper ruleset. Despite the deeper ruleset, I
remember getting bored with the LOTR's multiball after a while, as
every game you'd play through all three of them (sometimes multiple
times).

Taylor34

DugFreez

Dec 3, 2009, 10:30:43 PM12/3/09

> SM has no
> reward that I know of for completing all 5 modes.

Don't you need to complete all 5 modes to get to Super Hero? If
not....I might actually have a chance of getting to Super Hero one
day.

skbrothers

Dec 3, 2009, 11:15:20 PM12/3/09
LOTR over SM for me

Not a very big Spiderman fan so that plays a part. I like the LOTR
theme MUCH better.

Modes seem more obvious to me on LOTR.

LOTR is in my opinion the best integration of a movie into a pin
ever. The audio on LOTR is first rate and you feel as though your
playing through the movie each time you play.

If you don't like the movies then this may not be your cup o tea!

I like the serious side of the game, kinda like Centaur for me...Dark,
Serious and Great audio!

Steve

Jeff Palmer

Dec 3, 2009, 11:46:59 PM12/3/09

Nope. Just play them. Winning the modes helps with the multiplier
shots.

And to clarify for the readers in this thread, you don't need to win
the LOTR modes to reach Valinor, either, but it sure is helpful if you
want all the gifts faster.

Jeff

DugFreez

Dec 4, 2009, 12:20:19 AM12/4/09

So what do you need to do to get to Super Hero mode in Spider-Man?

MHS

Dec 4, 2009, 12:25:26 AM12/4/09

count me as another for lotr. I consider spidey one of the best pins
ever made, but I just don't like it as much as lotr.

Rare Hero

Dec 4, 2009, 12:49:55 AM12/4/09
On Dec 3, 9:20 pm, DugFreez <dugfr...@live.com> wrote:
>    So what do you need to do to get to Super Hero mode in Spider-Man?

Play all the white modes, finish all the villain modes & Battle
Royale, and you're ready for Super Hero! Sounds easier than it
actually is...I've only gotten it twice.

Greg

DugFreez

Dec 4, 2009, 1:21:17 AM12/4/09

That is what I thought....but somebody seems to think that the
white modes aren't needed for Super Hero. Believe me, I don't think it
sounds easy at all. I've had my Spider-Man for 4 or 5 months and I've
only hit Battle Royale 5 or 6 times. I think the best I have finished
is Battle Royale, 2 white modes complete and a 3rd white mode lit and
ready to be started.

I've never played LOTR myself. I've always heard good things about
it, but hearing about how much deeper it is than Spider-Man only makes
me think I would probably pick Spider-man over it. Any deeper than
Spider-Man to a novice type is more like unfinishable. I also don't
think darker and more serious are really things I look for in a
pin...so I'll stick with Spider-Man, but as I said....that is coming
from a Spidey owner than hasn't even played LOTR.

metallik

Dec 4, 2009, 1:47:25 AM12/4/09
> modes and the multiballs to get anywhere past destroy the ring. Maybe
> you can get to there and back again without all the elf gifts but I'm
> not sure and I have never gotten that far. I have played this game and

You can. Just play the six ring modes - the next 'mode' will be
TABA. Elf gifts do not have a role WRT eraning TABA.

You do want to get as many points as you can from the ring modes, as
those scores are what you earn (again) during TABA.

Good run of ring modes + TABA + 2x scoring + gollum = huge points :)

Rare Hero

Dec 4, 2009, 2:17:05 AM12/4/09
On Dec 3, 10:21 pm, DugFreez <dugfr...@live.com> wrote:
>    That is what I thought....but somebody seems to think that the
> white modes aren't needed for Super Hero.

No, what he was saying is you don't have to COMPLETE the white
modes...as in - accomplish all goals within the mode. You just need
to start them all (thus, lighting them on the centerl 'wheel'). For
instance, if you start Bonesaw - you don't have to complete it by
getting all the switch hits. Starting it is enough to be a qualifier
for Super Hero. That being said - finishing white modes is good
because it earns you a multiplier.

> Believe me, I don't think it
> sounds easy at all. I've had my Spider-Man for 4 or 5 months and I've
> only hit Battle Royale 5 or 6 times. I think the best I have finished
> is Battle Royale, 2 white modes complete and a 3rd white mode lit and
> ready to be started.

Try starting the white modes before multiballs. You can go white mode/
multi, but not multi/white. If you tend to start Doc Ock or Black
Suit before getting a white mode going, you'll find yourself playing
the game for a while with no white mode to show for it!

>   I've never played LOTR myself. I've always heard good things about
> it, but hearing about how much deeper it is than Spider-Man only makes
> me think I would probably pick Spider-man over it. Any deeper than
> Spider-Man to a novice type is more like unfinishable. I also don't
> think darker and more serious are really things I look for in a
> pin...so I'll stick with Spider-Man, but as I said....that is coming
> from a Spidey owner than hasn't even played LOTR.

I don't consider LOTR dark...it's a beautiful game, and feels like
you're playing thru a cinematic epic adventure! I'm wasn't a LOTR
(movie) fan at all...but my girlfriend was playing LOTR non-stop at a
party, so I decided to check it out...and was just so impressed by the
whole package. When I started playing it, I FINALLY understood why
people loved it so much. Long story short, I bought it...love
it...and it actually made me want to watch the movies since I got to
enjoy the characters and music in the pin so much.

As for Spidey vs. LOTR. So tough. Love 'em both, would never sell
them. LOTR feels so great to play ...howveer, I tend to "crave"
Spidey and play it more often.

Greg

acarp...@madixinc.com

Dec 4, 2009, 12:01:49 PM12/4/09
On Dec 3, 4:51 pm, "cody chunn" <cchu...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Just to clarify, you get TABA after playing through all the ring modes, not
> the gifts.
>
> --
> -cody
> --CARGPB4
> [Note: Following any advice given in this message
>  may result in property damage, minor injury, serious injury or death.
>  Follow advice at your own peril.]
>
> <acarpen...@madixinc.com> wrote in message
> Rings to me has more staying power in a home enviorment.- Hide quoted text -

Sorry for the misinformation..

socal_steve

Dec 4, 2009, 12:42:39 PM12/4/09
LoTR is like playing the Legend of Zelda without any save points.
Super deep, drags you in, but you will feel depressed when your a
couple shots away from Valinor and lose your last ball.

I've had my LoTR for about 2 1/2 years and still love it to this day.

Pin Lord

Dec 4, 2009, 2:08:02 PM12/4/09

Had both, got rid of LOTR but still have and always will have SM. SM
is easily the better game IMO. LOTR is a clunkfest, but the code is
outstanding! SM is smooth as silk with the awesome code to boot. Not
*quite* as deep as LOTR, but plenty deep enough and tough to beat with
the outlanes opened all the way up. I personally haven't made Super-
Hero yet (one white mode away), but my machine is set up super tough.
I did make Valinor once, but that was the game of my life. I would
say, if set up right, SM is every bit as tough as LOTR to make the
wizard mode.

Stephen

Dec 4, 2009, 5:10:55 PM12/4/09

Oh boy. Surprised this hasn't turned ugly yet. :P

I'm a Spider-Man man myself. It's like a faster, constantly moving
version of Attack from Mars (well...it is Ritchie). I'm one of those
players that doesn't necessarily need rule or mode depth (not that
Spider-Man is shallow...but we are comparing it to LOTR here). I think
a strong playfield design is essential and actually doesn't need it.
Depth in the rules is like icing on the cake. Firepower is a good
example. I can play that thing for hours straight and it is dead
simple when it comes to rules (it includes a whopping 1 mode). The
playfield design in LOTR isn't bad, but it is in the slow lane with
the right turn signal stuck on compared to Spider-Man flying down the
left with a missing tire, sending sparks all over the freeway while
being chased by the cops.

With that said, I can see LOTR being the ultimate home machine based
off of rules and modes alone. The depth ensures that you will always
have something new to see for at least a year or two (or for some
people in the group, never see everything and sell it in frustration
after two years ;P).