Data East Star Wars Backbox Light Problem

ArcadeJames

Oct 4, 2010, 3:08:43 PM10/4/10
My SW pin is having an issue with the lights in the backbox.

It appears there are three strings of lights, small ones on top and
bottom, then a third that have larger flashing bulbs.

The larger bulbs circuit appears fine but the small ones are not
lighting up.

I initially found that there was a loose wire that fed the lower
string, it came loose from the molex connector. I was able to push it
back in and it appears they are always on, except when you first start
a new game. The switched off until you fired the ball then came back
on. My suspicion is the top and bottom lights are supposed to do the
same thing? Can anyone confirm the correct behavior?

Now, unfortunately, neither string comes on at all. I'm trying to find
my manual with schematics, but thought I'd post to see if anyone has
an idea of what could be wrong? I've fixed the connection issues at
the molex but suspect whatever switches these on and off has failed.

Any suggestions on what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

James

James

Oct 4, 2010, 3:37:37 PM10/4/10
My backbox lighting was also a problem on that game, it was the right
side clip/connector on the power supply board, they very commonly burn
thus creating intermittent lighting or none at all.
You will need to fix that (mine was hacked) and it should be good for
a long time.

I would look at that clip first, then post what you find.

Thanks, James

ArcadeJames

Oct 4, 2010, 4:24:35 PM10/4/10

http://s1010.photobucket.com/albums/af230/ArcadeJames/Star%20Wars%20Pinball/?action=view&current=IMG_0523.jpg

Here's an image of the power supply, can you indicate which connector
was causing the issue?

stangbat

Oct 4, 2010, 5:57:20 PM10/4/10

I'm not sure what the proper behavior is supposed to be for SW, but I
had backbox GI lighting issues with my JP. In addition to the PS,
also check connector J5 on the PPB. I had to resolder the pins as
they had cold cracked over the years.

Todd

Oct 4, 2010, 10:07:10 PM10/4/10
On Oct 4, 2:08 pm, ArcadeJames <arcadeja...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hope this helps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzYKf_xUHXg

I'm pretty sure all of my lights are working as they were all just
recently replaced.

ArcadeJames

Oct 5, 2010, 12:08:58 PM10/5/10

That is awesome thank you for that.

ArcadeJames

Oct 5, 2010, 12:09:22 PM10/5/10

Great info, thank you. I'll look tonight.