Bally Eight Ball Deluxe

LOTW

Mar 31, 2013, 11:57:06 AM3/31/13

Hey guys, picked up a project EBD and ask if someone could send me a
picture or a link to a picture of how the lower left flipper is wired
and to that double EOS switch. Thanks in advance

--
LOTW
This USENET post sent from http://rgparchive.com

ValidPowerDetector

Mar 31, 2013, 3:33:28 PM3/31/13
On Sunday, March 31, 2013 11:57:06 AM UTC-4, LOTW wrote:
> Hey guys, picked up a project EBD and ask if someone could send me a
>
> picture or a link to a picture of how the lower left flipper is wired
>
> and to that double EOS switch. Thanks in advance
>

> Your best bet is to download a free manual from IPDB, consult it,
and wire accordingly. Other machines pics might be misleading.
jim

Gatecrasher

Mar 31, 2013, 4:02:12 PM3/31/13

Here you go. This is from a pretty unmolested machine that is currently
working.

http://oi48.tinypic.com/5rz90.jpg

--
Gatecrasher

*Quality Pinball Parts Made In The USA! *
Buy Direct and Save $

' *http://oi50.tinypic.com/1zy78p.jpg* '
(http://oi50.tinypic.com/1zy78p.jpg)

LOTW

Mar 31, 2013, 5:29:59 PM3/31/13

Thanks for the pic- yeah it is wired right...thought if it wasn't it
would have solved the problem of 3 solenoids not working (16) four drop
target reset, (17) Saucer, (18) outhole kicker. I was thinking the
flipper coil may have been daisy chained- any advice as to what to check
next?

--
LOTW

barakandl

Mar 31, 2013, 5:35:43 PM3/31/13
For the coils not working check for +43v on the hot side of the coil.

Are the coils not working part of the solenoid expander circuit? If so check the header pins on the connector, check the light bulb in the expander.

ValidPowerDetector

Mar 31, 2013, 6:07:29 PM3/31/13
Those are all on the N.O. side of the Sol Exp. How about 2&10 DT and 1&9 DT?

LOTW

Mar 31, 2013, 6:26:31 PM3/31/13

I tried grounding the tabs on the solenoid driver board..17, 18, 19 did
not fire. I swapped out the solenoid board with another board and had
the same results. What should I try next?

Mike Gervasi

Mar 31, 2013, 7:40:31 PM3/31/13
I think we should start with the basics.

In lamp test does the SEB relay click and the load lamp turn on and off?

In coil test which coils do not fire? Do any fire together?

LOTW

Mar 31, 2013, 9:39:19 PM3/31/13

Thanks Mike, I don't here a click for the SEB and the lamp beside it
only blinks for solenoids 16, 17, 18, which fire incorrectly.
It seems when 16 is supposed to fire solenoids 8&9 fire, when 17 is
supposed to fire 8 fires and when 18 is supposed to fire 8 fires.
Thanks in advance.

cody chunn

Mar 31, 2013, 9:45:24 PM3/31/13
You need to verify the correct coils are installed. There are some that
require a diode that others don't. If the wrong coils are installed it will
cause misfires like you are seeing. I don't know off-hand which ones, but it
has been covered here (search RGP for EBD drop target solenoids) and might
be on pinwiki.

-cody
CARGPB4

James - ShacklersRevenge

Mar 31, 2013, 10:16:22 PM3/31/13
Yeah, i'm 99% sure your problem is connector related, either on the
solenoid driver board and/or the mpu board.
Try reseating the connectos and adjust the wires on them, I'm willing
to bet it will bring whatever back to life correctly.
I had this problem on mine, same kind of things. Replaced the
conectors, solved it 100%

Mike Gervasi

Mar 31, 2013, 10:27:16 PM3/31/13
On Sunday, March 31, 2013 9:39:19 PM UTC-4, LOTW wrote:
> Thanks Mike, I don't here a click for the SEB and the lamp beside it
>
> only blinks for solenoids 16, 17, 18, which fire incorrectly.
>
> It seems when 16 is supposed to fire solenoids 8&9 fire, when 17 is
>
> supposed to fire 8 fires and when 18 is supposed to fire 8 fires.

Ok, the first test when you press the button inside the coin door is lamp test. Start there. All the lamps should flash including the lamp near the SEB and the relay should click.
If it does click and the lamp comes on then as Cody suggested check the coils to make sure the right ones are installed, especially the Drop target memory coils. If all those are good, the correct ones, and wired correctly then it's most likely a SDB issue.
The pinwiki for Bally is very good for troubleshooting this issue.

Mike Gervasi

Mar 31, 2013, 10:29:10 PM3/31/13
on Sunday, March 31, 2013 9:39:19 PM UTC-4, LOTW wrote:

> > Thanks Mike, I don't here a click for the SEB and the lamp beside it
>

> > only blinks for solenoids 16, 17, 18, which fire incorrectly.
>

> > It seems when 16 is supposed to fire solenoids 8&9 fire, when 17 is
>

> > supposed to fire 8 fires and when 18 is supposed to fire 8 fires.

Also should mention there is a great video on EBD SEB troubleshooting on pinballninja.com

LOTW

Mar 31, 2013, 11:14:55 PM3/31/13

Hey thanks guys, is the pinball ninja site still up?- I can't get in
there.
I noticed the outhole coil is a 2 lug with only 1 diode (wrong) and the
SEB does not click after re-seating the connectors. I will look for
another coil, does Centaur have an SEB board? I could try swapping one
in.

dothedoo

Apr 2, 2013, 2:38:59 PM4/2/13
If you have two solenoids firing at once as you stated here:

'It seems when 16 is supposed to fire solenoids 8&9 fire'

then you most likely have a diode issue as Cody suggested. Verify that you have the dual-diode coils in the right places and check ALL coil diodes and make sure none are shorted.

From the schematics those would be:

Inline drop target reset
7 bank drop target reset
Saucer
1 ball drop target
2 ball drop target
Outhole

They are all associated with the solenoid expander. So start with those and make sure they all have two diodes (both 7 bank coils too) and no shorts.

Bill Stahly

dothedoo

Apr 2, 2013, 4:36:42 PM4/2/13
Oops, just noticed you posted the outhole coil is wrong. Yep, fix that, check the others and you should be good. Also as suggested earlier, you may need to reflow the pins on the SEB.

LOTW

Apr 20, 2013, 3:24:48 PM4/20/13

The SEB clicks and it's lamp blinks in the lamp test, the proper coil is
in the kickout with 2 diodes. All lamps, sounds, switches and displays
working in tests and the lamp and solenoid driver boards check out fine.
In solenoid test I get nothing- not even the SEB lamp blink for 8,9,15
and for 16,17,18 the SEB lamp blinks for each but the solenoids do not
fire. What should I check next?
Thanks in advance.

Gatecrasher

Apr 20, 2013, 9:01:42 PM4/20/13

The first thing you almost always need to do with pins like this is to
bite the bullet and REPLACE every single connector (or at least start
going through them one by one until everything works). "Reseating" them
usually doesn't do squat.

I just got done working on two EBD machines and they both needed
connectors plus one needed a new fuse mount for under the playfield
because it wasn't making good contact.

As soon as I replaced the bad connectors, both machines worked 100%.
Before that, one was doing all kinds of crazy stuff and the other just
had a few minor issues.

It's all part of the hobby and you can't survive without a nice supply
of connectors and a good wire stripper & crimper. The investment will be
well worth it.

You can get everything you need from Big Daddy:

http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/

The first connectors I would be looking at are all of them on the MPU
and Solenoid Driver. After that, move on to the rest if required.

I usually end-up doing them all though because I don't want to have to
mess with them again. I'm the kind of guy who isn't satisfied until
everything is working 100%. I do not rest until every lamp, every
feature, everything is working perfectly.

Here are my two super clean Eight Ball Deluxes:

[image: http://i37.tinypic.com/rc8rbq.jpg]

[image: http://i38.tinypic.com/og03lt.jpg]

[image: http://i38.tinypic.com/330e6wy.jpg]

"Quit Talking and Start Chalking"

The cabinets on both of these are beautiful. All-original with zero fade
and clean as a whistle inside and out. Both have the original
playfields. One has the factory playfield Mylar and the other one only
has the slingshots and pop bumper Mylars.

I think they are both HUO. Even the coin doors are mint with the return
flaps still there too.

The picture I took for you of the flipper was from one of these.

--
Gatecrasher

*Quality Pinball Parts Made In The USA! *
Buy Direct and Save $

' *http://oi50.tinypic.com/1zy78p.jpg* '
(http://oi50.tinypic.com/1zy78p.jpg)

LoveF2K

Apr 21, 2013, 12:09:50 AM4/21/13
You need to make a donation to Pinball Ninja and he will grant you access to the site via username and password, I think it's like 20 bucks via paypal.

Mike Gervasi

Apr 21, 2013, 7:23:29 AM4/21/13
And it's WELL worth it. There's an entire archive of repairs there and I've used them for this and many other issues I've run into.

Mike Gervasi

Apr 21, 2013, 7:30:41 AM4/21/13
Those are fantastic. I just did a PF swap on an LE. It came out nice but I had wanted to redo the cab as well. Got the stencil kit but the LE cab seems to be made out of really cheap fiberboard and I was afraid to put a sander to it. So I touched it up as best I could.
Other than that the only thing I'm still unhappy with is the cover on the shooter. I can't seem to locate a decal to put on it anywhere being it's different than the stock EBD apron.

LOTW

Apr 22, 2013, 10:52:25 PM4/22/13

The SEB clicks and the light blinks in test- I replaced the connectors
for J4 on the LDB and the connector on the SEB and still no better.
Also when the ball is supposed to eject into the outlane, the coin door
solenoid fires, is this related to the SEB or is something mis-wired?
Nice pair of EBD's Gartway BTW.