New Spider-Man software 2.3?!?

DugFreez

Nov 3, 2009, 12:11:20 AM11/3/09
I made a thread asking about the different versions of Spider-Man
software and mentioned that 2.2 was the latest version. Another poster
said that he just received one of the new limited run Spider-Mans and
it had version 2.3 software installed.

Sterns website still has the 2.2 posted as the most resent
version....anyone know anything about this update? Is it normal for
Stern to ship an update before they post it on their site? Anyone have
an inside source to get the scoop on this?

Current Stern Version: v2.2 sys 1.51

New LE Software Version: v2.3 sys 1.52

shlockdoc

Nov 3, 2009, 12:39:16 AM11/3/09

can they post a copy of it here?

iskidoo

Nov 3, 2009, 2:55:23 AM11/3/09
May just be for some simple LE specific DMD displays. Does the DMD
display anything about LE or Limited Edition during the attract
animations?

Bingovit

Nov 3, 2009, 3:22:42 AM11/3/09

You can download the new 2.3 software on the Stern website, it just
isn't changed on their website ;-)
So if you download the english version 2.2 you get the 2.3 ;-)

Bingovit

Nov 3, 2009, 3:32:26 AM11/3/09

Damn, I was so sure about that but apparantly I was dead wrong!!
I'm also interested in a 2.3 version! Maybe someone can download this
one and put it online?

DugFreez

Nov 3, 2009, 3:44:06 AM11/3/09
> Damn, I was so sure about that but apparantly I was dead wrong!!
> I'm also interested in a 2.3 version! Maybe someone can download this
> one and put it online?

I tried the downloads at Stern already thinking the same
thing...but it's still 2.2. It would also be nice to know what was
changed about the software.

I wouldn't think it would just be a difference for the new LE run.
It would seem strange that Black Spider-Man, Elvis Gold and other
special editions didn't get different software but this run of Spider-
Man would for some reason. Has Stern ever done specific limited
edition software like Addam's Family Gold has?

Making a backup of the software should be easy....but I know those
updates can be to big to e-mail. It would be nice if someone could
post them to a file share site or to a binaries newsgroup to share.

mr tobias

Nov 3, 2009, 4:04:23 AM11/3/09

I'm sure Stern will do the right thing and make the latest version of
the software available on their website before long.

PT

Nov 3, 2009, 6:50:41 AM11/3/09
I wouldn't get too excited guys. I doubt they changed the actual game
software. The system software is generic software that is on all of
the SAM pins (WOF, 24, FG, POTC etc). It is the operating system and
has nothing to do with the specific game. When Stern releases
software they take the latest version of the game software and package
it with the latest version of the generic system software. Stern
probably made some minor change to the operating system for Big Buck
Hunter to go from 1.51 to 1.52. When they released the LE pins its
only natural to put the latest system onto the pins - whether that
change the game software or not. This requires rolling the revision
number.

I suppose there could be some minor changes to the Spiderman specific
software. I'll bet there are no changes to the game software itself;
just some minor change to the operating software that would not be
worth installing and losing your settings and high scores over. Time
will tell, if you really want to know try calling Stern tech support.

John

Wolfpack

Nov 3, 2009, 10:07:24 AM11/3/09
My BDK was shipped a few months ago with newer software than what
Stern had posted on their site. The new code was out for several
weeks on the newly shipped pins before it was posted by Stern. The
newer code did have a few game updates and Stern finally posted it on
their website after a few people started calling and asking for it. I
did a backup of my newer code and posted it for others to download, so
hopefully someone can do the same for the new SM code. The only bad
thing is that you have to wait until Stern officially posts it to
review the revision history changes with the new code.

EricPinball

Nov 3, 2009, 11:28:43 AM11/3/09

I like also to have version 2.3
So if some owners of this version put a link to download the sofware
will be great

Eric

www.ericpinball.be

phishrace

Nov 3, 2009, 1:22:05 PM11/3/09

Exactly. It was probably a pricing change for Leutonia. The first clue
that it was something minor was that it only changed the second digit
of the system code. That usually means a minor change.

Are any of you guys feeling even slightly greedy? Spidey is arguably
the most polished game to come out in the last 10 or 15 years. And you
want more? Have you been to Superhero lately? Finished it? How many
times?

-phish

MRG

Nov 3, 2009, 2:23:37 PM11/3/09
Most likley the update is this:

- Fixed a problem with persistent style auditing that could cause the
game
to stop running in 50HZ countries.

DugFreez

Nov 3, 2009, 5:42:12 PM11/3/09

Greedy?..I guess. It would be nice to have options like "Team Play"
that are already in the software to actually do something.

That may be asking to much, but if an update was made...why not use
it?

Daniel Tonks

Nov 4, 2009, 9:38:03 AM11/4/09
"DugFreez" <dugf...@live.com> wrote in message

> Greedy?..I guess. It would be nice to have options like "Team Play"
> that are already in the software to actually do something.

As far as I know that setting doesn't work on any SAM game. I actually
inquired on this some months back, basically it's just way down on the
priority list to implement. Would be slightly nice to have, but certainly
not important...

- Dan

DugFreez

Nov 4, 2009, 1:34:01 PM11/4/09
On Nov 4, 9:38 am, "Daniel Tonks" <dtonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM> wrote:
> "DugFreez" <dugfr...@live.com> wrote in message

Yeah...I agree with you there. It just takes a little math to do the
same thing. I was just making a point that not only is there a little
room to improve the software....but they actually have things that are
unfinished in the software. I don't think wanting things to actually
work that are already in the settings as being "greedy".

The game is great as it is....but if they did add / update / fix
something with the 2.3 software....why wouldn't you want to update to
it?

pmwolf

Nov 4, 2009, 1:41:46 PM11/4/09
>    The game is great as it is....but if they did add / update / fix
> something with the 2.3 software....why wouldn't you want to update to
> it?

Because it erases all of my awesome high scores! =)

I usually wait until something MAJOR happens in the code before I
update. Of course, with Spidey, it went through MANY major updates in
a short period of time.

Pete

AFM_TZ

Nov 4, 2009, 1:44:58 PM11/4/09

Pete - whats your top score (so i have something to aim for)?

Rare Hero

Nov 4, 2009, 2:09:55 PM11/4/09
On Nov 4, 10:34 am, DugFreez <dugfr...@live.com> wrote:
>    The game is great as it is....but if they did add / update / fix
> something with the 2.3 software....why wouldn't you want to update to
> it?

2.3 has some new shaker code ...so, if you don't have a shaker motor,
it probably won't matter for you ....however - EVERYONE with Spidey
should have a shaker motor! It's awesome.

Greg

pmwolf

Nov 4, 2009, 2:18:17 PM11/4/09
> Pete - whats your top score (so i have something to aim for)?

Top score: 490,089,640.

Of course, I've never made it to Super Hero mode, though...I keep
choking!! (Someday...).

Pete

Rare Hero

Nov 4, 2009, 2:22:32 PM11/4/09

Wow, I only got that high when I made it to Super Hero! Normally I'm
between 180-300 mil.

Greg

Joe Jet

Nov 4, 2009, 4:05:59 PM11/4/09

Cool!... but... how do you know this? Which leads to... what other
changes?

TBK

Nov 4, 2009, 5:33:44 PM11/4/09
Greg,

Here's something to shoot for: 1.4B several times on route
machines! ;P

What pissed me off about it was KME was kind enough to drop a 1.5B+ on
the damn thing so I never had the GC score!

~Ron R
TBK=The Biggest Kid
"Route-rat extraordinaire!"
SD Pinball Club, OC Pinball League, RGP League

Rare Hero

Nov 4, 2009, 5:40:20 PM11/4/09
On Nov 4, 2:33 pm, TBK <rrezen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's something to shoot for: 1.4B several times on route
> machines! ;P

Fuck.
You.

Greg

PT

Nov 4, 2009, 6:06:48 PM11/4/09
We play factory setting 3-ball tournament games at my house (no extra
balls). My friend Pete has gotten a little over 600M. I've managed a
little over 200M.

John

DugFreez

Nov 5, 2009, 12:43:15 AM11/5/09
> 2.3 has some new shaker code ...so, if you don't have a shaker motor,
> it probably won't matter for you ....however - EVERYONE with Spidey
> should have a shaker motor!  It's awesome.
>
> Greg

I have a shaker motor and just wiped my high scores so I would
DEFIANTLY be interested in this update. So where did you get the info
on the update? Any guesses as to when Stern will post it up?

As for my high score...213,881,420 factory settings. I wasn't even
close to super hero mode. I think I only had 2 bonus modes completed.
The bonus modes seem to be my hangup. I just don't pay enough
attention to those white arrows.

DugFreez

Nov 10, 2009, 7:43:52 AM11/10/09
I emailed Stern about when this software revision would be posted.
Pat got back with me quickly and said this 2.3 was already available
on their website (which it isn't).

I sent another e-mail commenting that 2.2 was the most recent one
posted, but I didn't hear anything back. Anyone else want to bother
them?

abcdelmrs

Nov 10, 2009, 3:58:16 PM11/10/09

I don't know when the update was posted, but I just tried downloading
it on a lark a few minutes ago (as usual the link is still listing it
as 2.0). I was pleasantly surprised to find the 2.3 code in the zip
file.

Here's the new stuff in the readme

Spider-Man V2.3 - August 18, 2009 - System V1.52

Fixed a problem with the Doc Ock rule. If "Armed at the Dock" was
restarted during the grace period (either by Spider-Sense or by
starting
another multiball), then VUK shots for "Fusion Malfunction" would say
"Bank Bust". This is horribly wrong and has been corrected.

Ball save now OFF for Director's Cut.

The trough jam switch was missing the 'trough jam' attribute. This
was
causing the trough jam switch to show up in the wrong location during
'clear balls' test. This has been corrected.

Added shaker motor code to combos, combo multiball, black suit
multiball,
and the modes. Combos require the setting to be 'MAXIMAL'.

tktlwyr

Nov 10, 2009, 4:31:48 PM11/10/09

Confirmed 2.3 is up!

It must have been posted just recently because earlier today it was
still at 2.2.

Dave

Lloyd Olson

Nov 10, 2009, 4:43:50 PM11/10/09
Up and running. LTG :)

"tktlwyr" <david...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

DugFreez

Nov 10, 2009, 4:44:56 PM11/10/09
Read me says August 18th....but it just posted today. I guess a
little whining and bitching still gets the job done from time to
time. ;-)

I hadn't noticed any of these things being a problem but I'll take
their word for it and I appreciate the update. It's nice to know that
bugs are still being fixed even though I'm not a good enough player to
actually get to them.

Thanks Stern.

Daniel Tonks

Nov 11, 2009, 9:01:28 AM11/11/09
Glad to see this is available! More shaker = more excellence! :-) It really
seems that Lyman is determined to make SM Stern's most polished and
perfected code.

I'm an entirely sucky player, but was the one to notice the Doc Ock problem.
Wasn't until the second time when I figured something strange was up.

- Dan

"DugFreez" <dugf...@live.com> wrote in message

mnpinball

Nov 14, 2009, 12:06:33 AM11/14/09
Code's not done untill "dirty pool" is implemented !

ZMAN

Nov 15, 2009, 4:54:54 PM11/15/09
On Nov 14, 12:06 am, mnpinball <mnpinb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Code's not done untill "dirty pool" is implemented !

I've been playing v2.3 and installed "directors cut".

When i get past "Battle Royale" it doesn't take any shots to light a
"doc ock multiball". They just keep showing as ready (all three lights
blinking towards the doc) after the previous multiball ends. This has
happened on about 3 of my games. Cant be exatly sure of all the
circumstances that make this occur.

Anybody else notice this?

Ed Z