LORD OF THE RING LE PICTURES!!!!!

Mike MN

Dec 14, 2009, 7:38:23 PM12/14/09

kbliznick

Dec 14, 2009, 7:40:34 PM12/14/09

What rev is the code? 10 or is it newer for a shaker?

kbliznick

Dec 14, 2009, 7:44:52 PM12/14/09
Guess this answers the production number question as well. #_ of
500. Is it individually numbered?

The cabinet art looks a little different by the flipper buttons and
under the rails.
Gold on Backglass is a little over the top, remove the plaque so we
can see it fully.

Kris

lagator

Dec 14, 2009, 7:46:22 PM12/14/09
On Dec 14, 4:40 pm, kbliznick <kblizn...@aol.com> wrote:
> What rev is the code?  10 or is it newer for a shaker?

Cool, but i miss the little figures. Not enough wow factor to upgrade
my original LOTR, but the gold looks cool. How is the Clear coat?
Thanks for the peek!

ScottinSGFNY

Dec 14, 2009, 7:46:43 PM12/14/09

So how did you find out it was arriving - call from the trucking
company or ??

Still waiting in NY.......

chuck

Dec 14, 2009, 7:47:38 PM12/14/09

One of 500? They must be planning another run. The gold looks much
better than the pics I saw. I'd love to see a pic of the backglass lit.

kbliznick

Dec 14, 2009, 7:49:55 PM12/14/09
I just noticed the ARWEN plastic is included with the machine and not
the trees from the proto and replacement plastic sets.

JARED

Dec 14, 2009, 7:52:22 PM12/14/09

More like "Big Wow!".
A couple extra grand for that backglass? They should have used the
side armor rails as all LOTR's get massive flipper button wear.

Lloyd Olson

Dec 14, 2009, 8:04:35 PM12/14/09
Looks great ! Backglass really turned out awesome. LTG :)

"Mike MN" <mdeise...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Captain Neo

Dec 14, 2009, 8:05:55 PM12/14/09
Looks ok, but man i'd cringe everytime I had to take that backglass
out for any reason ever. Too much of a liability for me. Basically
you traded the toys for the backglass and had a gold trim kit
installed. Backglass does look nice tho. Just don't use windex or
extreme temp changes.

turbo20lbs

Dec 14, 2009, 8:07:18 PM12/14/09
Oh man don't tell me those signatures are UNDER the clear coat? lol

Thanks for sharing pics!

captkirk

Dec 14, 2009, 8:09:04 PM12/14/09

I just can't wait. Looks great! By the certificate, looks as if 500
will be made overall at some point in tme.

captkirk

kruzman

Dec 14, 2009, 8:12:32 PM12/14/09
On Dec 14, 7:38 pm, Mike MN <mdeisenzim...@gmail.com> wrote:

Beautiful!!!!

Pinboozie

Dec 14, 2009, 8:13:28 PM12/14/09
On Dec 14, 7:38 pm, Mike MN <mdeisenzim...@gmail.com> wrote:

Unimpressed. Looks so bare without the figures and I thought the
backglass would be much nicer than that. Gold trim actually doesn't
look that nice on the game, you would think it would. Kind of looks
weird, like it's incomplete. Maybe if a gold shooter and gold coin
door were put on it would look nice. The originals were nicer IMO.

tomdotcom

Dec 14, 2009, 8:14:54 PM12/14/09
Thanks for the pics, I was contemplating getting one, little bit
spendy for me though..would rather get 2 good pins :)

I still want one though haha

Juan_Fingers

Dec 14, 2009, 8:21:03 PM12/14/09
Congrats Mike the game looks great!!! I love the gold lock down bar.
Thanks for the Stern Indy, it's working out great for me.
Lewis

Pinboozie

Dec 14, 2009, 8:26:34 PM12/14/09

Does the gold outline on the backglass look like that up close, or is
that the flash causing that. In the picture, it looks like a child
took a gold marker and just outlined it by hand. Bizarre if it really
looks like that. Is this real or a photoshop job???

Message has been deleted

Mark Clayton

Dec 14, 2009, 8:29:21 PM12/14/09
Because the game is shipped without the armored siderails,
it's important to protect the artwork around the flipper
buttons.

I've just set up a special free shipping discount for
my Stealth flipper button cabinet protectors. Just
place an order in the on-line store, and enter "LOTR" in the
Customer Code box at check-out. This will give a discount
of $2.50 that covers free shipping in the USA, and discounts
shipping the same amount everywhere else.

This code will work on EVERY ORDER, regardless of what's
being purchased, and I'll keep it in effect through the holidays
until 1/1/10.

So please, get something to protect your new LOTR cabinet,
even if you use something different. And take a look at
our line of Stealth protectors for the cabinet around
the flipper buttons, start button, leg attachments and
playfield. And regardless of what you may order be my
guest to use the "LOTR" discount code to save shipping
on every order. See the website link in my sig for
product details.

-Mark
-----
http://pinballpal.com

The Baron

Dec 14, 2009, 8:30:23 PM12/14/09

I dig it, but I wish they would have raised the quality of the cabinet
decals. That's really my only complaint with LOTR. The decals look
like dithered newspaper print.

DugFreez

Dec 14, 2009, 8:36:28 PM12/14/09
I like the gold trim on the cabinet. Is the T-molding around the
backbox gold too? The gold on the backglass...not so much. As someones
else said...it stands out to much. I also can't imagine anyone liking
this better without the figures. Look at those sling plastics! Grass
and rock...eww. they need figures on them or redesigned or something.
It just screams "Something is missing!".

Was the limited plate over the DMD expected or was that the bonus
surprise?

MB

Dec 14, 2009, 8:40:16 PM12/14/09
!  By the certificate, looks as if 500
> will be made overall at some point in tme.
>
> captkirk

An email from Jolly at Stern today to a Mountain Coin distributor said
more "LE's"will be made in "the Spring".

marc

PT

Dec 14, 2009, 8:44:19 PM12/14/09
Wow! It looks nice. I normally don't like ghrome, but it looks okay
on this game. Get you some white rubber and figures!

John

Stephen

Dec 14, 2009, 8:52:02 PM12/14/09
I usually find gold really tacky, but it looks nice on this machine.
It fits the theme really well and makes the backglass pop (based off
the photos). Money well spent IMO if you don't already have a LOTR,
have the figures to put on and love the game (last being the most
important).

Mike MN

Dec 14, 2009, 8:57:39 PM12/14/09
The playfield is very glossy and thick, the stern and gomez signatures
are great!!! But I am a bit biased right now. Wouldnt you be if you
just spent 5k on a pinball.

vivacarlos

Dec 14, 2009, 9:10:42 PM12/14/09

Indeed i would be.
So be bias, all the hell you want.

Enjoy

apimo...@yahoo.com

Dec 14, 2009, 9:27:46 PM12/14/09
Congrats, and tip of the hat to Jack for helping make the LE come
true. I'm usu. not into gold armour, but it looks OK on this title.
The backglass, however, is a bit disappointing, with the crudely
traced outlines and all. The playfield looks a bit bare w/o the action
figures, but I understand you can pick these up off ebay, etc. Nice to
hear that's there's clearcoat on the playfield this time around. Note
to Gary Stern: we DON'T want your signature on the playfield (or
backglass, or anywhere else for that matter). Overall, in the looks
department, "not bad."

PinChamp

Dec 14, 2009, 9:36:56 PM12/14/09
Hmm, what is not to like!

Tacky Gold Package
Heavily pixelated and cheap looking cab artwork
Ridiculous Gold Autographs
Possibly the most amateur, poorly done, ugly looking backglass in the
history of pinball

Another Home Run for Stern!

Rare Hero

Dec 14, 2009, 9:37:06 PM12/14/09
On Dec 14, 6:27 pm, "apimomf...@yahoo.com" <apimomf...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Note to Gary Stern: we DON'T want your signature on the playfield (or
> backglass, or anywhere else for that matter).

I had to go back and look at the pics again for that...HOLY SHIT! You
gotta stare at that right under the flippers?!?! C'mon! I know there
are figurine haters, but that looks really weird without the
Ringwraith by the red flasher, or the hobbits on the slings. I'm glad
anyone who wanted a NIB LOTR was able to get one, but I'm glad I
didn't get rid of my regular version for one.

Greg

Captain Neo

Dec 14, 2009, 9:49:24 PM12/14/09
signatueres arn't that bad, but he should have put them on the apron
or something. It's nice that people who didn't get in on the LOTR
production run, had one last ditch effort to get a NIB LOTR. I
wouldn't trade mine for one, but to each his own.

gpsdrew

Dec 14, 2009, 9:58:20 PM12/14/09
I think it looks great,
conrats.
Drew

metallik

Dec 14, 2009, 9:59:56 PM12/14/09
> Possibly the most amateur, poorly done, ugly looking backglass in the
> history of pinball

No way it is worse than WPT :)

Eric A.

Dec 14, 2009, 10:00:09 PM12/14/09
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 20:29:21 -0500, Mark Clayton
<spamus...@i87.com> wrote:

>Because the game is shipped without the armored siderails,
>it's important to protect the artwork around the flipper
>buttons.
>
>I've just set up a special free shipping discount for
>my Stealth flipper button cabinet protectors. Just
>place an order in the on-line store, and enter "LOTR" in the
>Customer Code box at check-out. This will give a discount
>of $2.50 that covers free shipping in the USA, and discounts
>shipping the same amount everywhere else.
>
>This code will work on EVERY ORDER, regardless of what's
>being purchased, and I'll keep it in effect through the holidays
>until 1/1/10.
>
>So please, get something to protect your new LOTR cabinet,
>even if you use something different. And take a look at
>our line of Stealth protectors for the cabinet around
>the flipper buttons, start button, leg attachments and
>playfield. And regardless of what you may order be my
>guest to use the "LOTR" discount code to save shipping
>on every order. See the website link in my sig for
>product details.
>
>-Mark

These are one of the BEST pinball add-ons EVER made! I have them on my
LOTR and Austin powers!

Great work Mark!

Eric A.
313-268-0541

pinghetto

Dec 14, 2009, 10:05:56 PM12/14/09
Mine is finally up and running. I was VERY glad to see the S.A.M.
System driver board in it. Best thing to happen to the LE in my
opinion. Just something the others can never have. Pretty cool.

kbliznick

Dec 14, 2009, 10:12:54 PM12/14/09
On Dec 14, 8:05 pm, pinghetto <milla...@frontiernet.net> wrote:
> Mine is finally up and running. I was VERY glad to see the S.A.M.
> System driver board in it. Best thing to happen to the LE in my
> opinion. Just something the others can never have. Pretty cool.

Does this mean any updated code cannot be loaded onto ROMS for the
Whitestar boards?

Lloyd Olson

Dec 14, 2009, 10:16:15 PM12/14/09
If it indeed does have the SAM system, there won't be updates for whitestar
LOTR's. LTG :)

"kbliznick" <kbli...@aol.com> wrote in message

Andrew Barney

Dec 14, 2009, 10:22:13 PM12/14/09

Nice! Shakers in old games = NO. Lame! lol

Andrew

PinChamp

Dec 14, 2009, 10:25:24 PM12/14/09

Wow, good point.

Well, either way you slice it, it looks like a photo finish for
Stern. . .

spazz...@hotmail.com

Dec 14, 2009, 10:26:17 PM12/14/09
Sorry,

But this machine is wrong on a number of levels. Yes, the backglass
is poor. No armor for the flipper buttons. No figures. No shaker
included. It's $5k (I wouldn't have a problem with $5k if it
warranted it.)

Pretty much everyone that has one of these on the way bought it
blind. Most likely because of the last really special pin Spiderman
Black was a true home run because it offered many special extras for
not a lot of extra money. Are there any out there that were on the
fence who are not going to purchase after seeing the end result?

There is no way I would trade my low play standard edition for this
straight up, let along cough up an extra $1500. I feel sorry for the
guys that gave up theirs in anticipation.

Stern needs to go ahead and close up shop. It's been 10 years and
they have done so little to innovate pinball they might as well have
closed up shop with Williams. They've come out with 2 or 3 titles in
10 years that actually make any money and are worth remembering. Then
they rape the collectors with this.

Hope those of you out there who got raped don't take this too
personally. It's more of an attack on Stern's attempt to cash in on
the collectors that wanted a nice LOTR.

-Jeff

MarcG

Dec 14, 2009, 10:31:41 PM12/14/09

I want to see it in person, but from the pics the backglass looks bad
with the odd gold outline. I think the cab in gold trim looks great.
Dont care for the signatures. Not bad I guess, congrats to all that
got one.

metallik

Dec 14, 2009, 10:32:51 PM12/14/09
On Dec 14, 10:16 pm, "Lloyd Olson" <l...@ssbilliards.com> wrote:
> If it indeed does have the SAM system, there won't be updates for whitestar
> LOTR's. LTG :)

Well, is it the SAM CPU, or just the SAM driver board? I'd find it
extremely hard to believe they migrated the game code to run on SAM
CPU, especially since Keith hasn't worked there in over a year.

Can we get pics of the backbox contents from any new LE owners?
Jason? :)

mnpinball

Dec 14, 2009, 10:33:42 PM12/14/09

WOW, I didn't even know that the SAM board was going into this
definite plus !! That's why the LE has shaker code. No updates for
the standard whitestar. :) or ;( depending on your thoughts. NICE.

PinChamp

Dec 14, 2009, 10:33:51 PM12/14/09

> Hope those of you out there who got raped don't take this too
> personally.  It's more of an attack on Stern's attempt to cash in on
> the collectors that wanted a nice LOTR.
>
> -Jeff

Great Post! However, I think those who forked over the $5K to Stern
got what they deserved. Stern has been ripping people off with crap
quality games for 10 years now, and all the drama that ensued
regarding this pile was no exception to their piss-poor ways. If
people could not smell this pile coming from a mile away than they
deserve to have stepped in it.

Can you say nail in the coffin?

Game-Set-Match.

Bye Bye Stern.

hahahahahhaha

azpinlawyer

Dec 14, 2009, 10:37:11 PM12/14/09

I think it looks amazing.
I prefer the lack of figurines. Love the BG and love the gold trim.
BTW, the outlines are more pronounced by the flash.

metallik

Dec 14, 2009, 10:39:06 PM12/14/09
> WOW, I didn't even know that the SAM board was going into this
> definite plus !!  That's why the LE has shaker code. No updates for
> the standard whitestar. :) or ;( depending on your thoughts.  NICE.

Pop the glass and see if it is a full SAM system or just the SAM
driver board with a Whitestar CPU. A SAM CPU would require the game
code to be rewritten for the SAM CPU chip, which I highly doubt they
did for 500 games (not to mention the sound re-encoded in SAM-
compatible compression, etc). If it is a Whitestar CPU driving a SAM
solenoid board, it probably wouldn't take too much to add the shaker
to older games - just figure out what solenoid the Whitestar is trying
to drive on the SAM driver board and build your kit accordingly.

Regardless of the boardset, what version number shows up on boot?

mnpinball

Dec 14, 2009, 10:45:24 PM12/14/09

I did not buy one Larry. I'm content with my HUO NIB LOTR I bought on
closeout in 2004 for $3400. ;)

2 friends did buy one locally. Mike and Brian. They should post some
internals pics I hope.

metallik

Dec 14, 2009, 10:51:17 PM12/14/09
> I did not buy one Larry.  I'm content with my HUO NIB LOTR I bought on
> closeout in 2004 for $3400. ;)
> 2 friends did buy one locally.  Mike and Brian. They should post some
> internals pics I hope.

Whoops, glanced and saw MN in the title and figured it was you..
d'oh! Kewl on the closeout price... great game :) I got a HUO one
myself.

Lloyd Olson

Dec 14, 2009, 10:56:14 PM12/14/09
I'd like to see a picture with the backglass lit. Bet it looks awesome. LTG
:)

"MarcG" <mar...@gmail.com> wrote in message

DugFreez

Dec 14, 2009, 11:13:14 PM12/14/09

You can honestly say that those slings look right without figures or
something on them? It's just grass and stone!

Here's a money making opportunity for someone with some art skills
and a way to make replacement plastics. Make new sling plastics for
this thing for people that aren't going to add figures. There may be
other plastics that look out of place without the figures, but I'm not
at all familiar with this game. I just know that those sling plastics
look craptastic as is.

Michael O'Brien

Dec 15, 2009, 12:31:23 AM12/15/09
Ok now, it's a quality title and I am glad they're making more of
them. And I guess I'd like to see a picture of that backglass lit up
(and in person) before I passed further judgment. But those
signatures on the playfield directly below the flippers...WHOA! What a
terrible idea. You'll be staring at those nonstop while you're
playing.

Michael

CornCob

Dec 15, 2009, 3:56:45 AM12/15/09

I don't think you should be so hard on Stern, you've had 10years also,
apart from spreading your seed what have you done? zero I suspect.

Just the fact they are here with us today is good enough to know
they've done ok and those pictures of LoTR are nice, showing one of
the best games you can buy, minus the figures, only sad part.

Ping

Expat

Dec 15, 2009, 4:45:51 AM12/15/09

Hey it works,a cheesey pin for a cheesey movie...

This is one pin I'd never let in my basement, sorry ;)

alienpoker

Dec 15, 2009, 4:53:27 AM12/15/09

> Hey it works,a cheesey pin for a cheesey movie...
>
> This is one pin I'd never let in my basement, sorry ;)- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, you keep that space open for the MM remake.
I'd rather have a pinball game than an empty space for my $5000.

Adm56

Dec 15, 2009, 7:32:15 AM12/15/09
To the original poster...congrats on the NIB pin...it must be a great
feeling. But I have to agree with some of the others here on the
backglass. Very tacky. I prefer the original.

AFM_TZ

Dec 15, 2009, 9:09:31 AM12/15/09

Just wondering about those sigs - are they above the clear or below?
Sorry if its a dumb question. I would figure thats a tough choice when
adding - because above would wear off and below would lock it in (so i
would say its locked in?).

big_daddy

Dec 15, 2009, 9:53:12 AM12/15/09
On Dec 14, 7:29 pm, Mark Clayton <spamuser1...@i87.com> wrote:
> Because the game is shipped without the armored siderails,
> it's important to protect the artwork around the flipper
> buttons.
>
> I've just set up a special free shipping discount for
> my Stealth flipper button cabinet protectors.  Just
> place an order in the on-line store, and enter "LOTR" in the
> Customer Code box at check-out.  This will give a discount
> of $2.50 that covers free shipping in the USA, and discounts
> shipping the same amount everywhere else.
>
> This code will work on EVERY ORDER, regardless of what's
> being purchased, and I'll keep it in effect through the holidays
> until 1/1/10.
>
> So please, get something to protect your new LOTR cabinet,
> even if you use something different.  And take a look at
> our line of Stealth protectors for the cabinet around
> the flipper buttons, start button, leg attachments and
> playfield.  And regardless of what you may order be my
> guest to use the "LOTR" discount code to save shipping
> on every order.  See the website link in my sig for
> product details.
>
> -Mark
> -----http://pinballpal.com
>

> JARED wrote:

> > On Dec 14, 4:38 pm, Mike MN <mdeisenzim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z82/mikeeisenzimmer/lotr/
>
> >> All I can say is wow!!
>
> >> Mike
>
> > More like "Big Wow!".
> > A couple extra grand for that backglass? They should have used the
> > side armor rails as all LOTR's get massive flipper button wear.- Hide quoted text -

You don't really need cabinet protectors for a home use only game, do
you? What did they paint these with - water colors?

Juan_Fingers

Dec 15, 2009, 10:08:32 AM12/15/09
Get the cabinet protectors. People are spending $5000 on this game,
putting protectors on is a no brainer. Just because a game is in the
home doesn't mean it won't get played a ton. If you buy the game to
just look at then you can pass on them.
Lewis

> you?    What did they paint these with - water colors?- Hide quoted text -

jackofdiamonds

Dec 15, 2009, 10:30:02 AM12/15/09

Sucks!

skbrothers

Dec 15, 2009, 10:31:32 AM12/15/09
Yeah...even in home use I'd use te clear flipper button protectors
from Pinball Pal (is it?).

I have them on mine as most route LOTRs have terrible wear at those
spots.

They may very well be using watercolors ;-)

And FWIW...I've looked at the pics of the LOTR LE (Thanks for posting
them Mike and Congrats on the new pin!) and actually prefer my
standard original run NIB LOTR. The gold outlines on the backglass
just don't do it for me and the gold trim in general just looks a
little to "Liberace" for me. While I think George Gomez's signature
is REALLY cool, I'm not sure I like where they are located.

Glad to see this project carried out though! Kudos to Jack and Gary!

Steve

Andrew Barney

Dec 15, 2009, 10:35:32 AM12/15/09
On Dec 14, 9:33 pm, PinChamp <joe.ezr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Great Post!  However, I think those who forked over the $5K to Stern
> got what they deserved.  Stern has been ripping people off with crap
> quality games for 10 years now, and all the drama that ensued
> regarding this pile was no exception to their piss-poor ways.  If
> people could not smell this pile coming from a mile away than they
> deserve to have stepped in it.
>
> Can you say nail in the coffin?
>
> Game-Set-Match.
>
> Bye Bye Stern.
>
> hahahahahhaha

lol, talk about lame.

Andrew

big_daddy

Dec 15, 2009, 10:59:47 AM12/15/09

So many haters... I would like to get all of you guys in a room with
Gary Stern and see if you still act this way. I'd guess that the
semi-anonymous internet bravado would be tamed quite a bit...

This is pretty simple stuff - we were told enough about the LOTR LE
high level feature-set (and lack of toy figurines) with plenty of time
to cancel had we wanted to... How about letting those of us who
forked over $5K make the decision about whether we like it or not?

Red Rocket

Dec 15, 2009, 11:08:26 AM12/15/09
> forked over $5K make the decision about whether we like it or not?- Hide quoted text -

WELL SAID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

c2

Dec 15, 2009, 11:12:24 AM12/15/09
All the negative crap on this thread sucks. I remember the same BS from
the keyboard-commando crowd when I got my Black Spider-man. I don't get
why its so much fun to rain on the parade.

Anyway, as a LOTR owner, I'd like to congratulate all you guys that got
the LE model and welcome you to the club. Fantastic game and I'm
confident you guys will love it!! I still remember the first time I
beat FOTR multiball... chills. Have fun guys.

Cheers,
Craig

pingod

Dec 15, 2009, 11:18:20 AM12/15/09

All i can say is Happy Happy Joy Joy.
Merry Xmas to all

brokenvette

Dec 15, 2009, 11:18:51 AM12/15/09
No ones opinion here matters except the one that belongs to the people
who bought the game or the person who posted. Im glad you got it and I
hope you like it. If I didnt already have one I would be jealous but
Im perfectly happy with the one I have.

Congrats to you.

Merry Christmas

James

TBK

Dec 15, 2009, 11:19:30 AM12/15/09
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but just because you're entitled
to it doesn't mean you have to share it! Haters seem to be the ones
who didn't buy it and judging by the posts - they haven't seen it in
person either.

I am probably the single biggest fan of this title on the planet even
though I don't own one.

The LE looks great, I'd like to see what the bg looks like lit up in a
semi-dark room. The gold trim matches the theme and graphics nicely.

The lack of figures does seem to diminish the theme somewhat but that
can be and SHOULD be resolved - if the owner deems it necessary. (I
would if it were mine.)

Hopefully the autographs are under the clear coat, although I believe
they would have been better placed on the apron.

If it were up to me (which it isn't since I did not buy one) I'd use
every Cliffy/lexan/clear plastic protector ever made for the machine.

If anyone in So Cal purchased one of these - I'd love to play it!

~Ron R
TBK=The Biggest Kid
"Route-rat extraordinaire!"
SD Pinball Club, OC Pinball League, RGP League

mnpinball

Dec 15, 2009, 11:25:23 AM12/15/09
The LE LOTR is running a whitestar CPU with a SAM power driver board.

azpinlawyer

Dec 15, 2009, 11:25:29 AM12/15/09

Ron--you're welcome anytime.

railbender

Dec 15, 2009, 11:25:43 AM12/15/09
On Dec 14, 5:38 pm, Mike MN <mdeisenzim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z82/mikeeisenzimmer/lotr/
>
> All I can say is wow!!
>
> Mike

Congrats and thanks for posting the pics! I am curious on the boardset
and any updated code.

I look forward to seeing one of these, because I really wanted it. ?

Kenny

mnpinball

Dec 15, 2009, 11:29:03 AM12/15/09

The LE LOTR is running a whitestar CPU with a SAM power driver board.

skbrothers

Dec 15, 2009, 11:37:46 AM12/15/09
Thanks for the intel Jason!

So, in theory, is a Shaker motor for a "NON-LE LOTR" still possible to
pull off?

If someone were to produce a shaker motor mod, tied into the hit
switch on the Balrog, I'd buy it in a Illinois Minute (as opposed to a
California minute)!

Steve

Jay

Dec 15, 2009, 11:50:47 AM12/15/09
On Dec 15, 9:12 am, c2 <tx_slings...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Thank you to all for the positive comments.

Negative people:
Do you understand why this person is so negative? Is it because they
hate their job, feel frustrated, feel trapped in their life or do they
lack in self esteem so the only way they can feel powerful is by
hurting others? If you can understand where it’s coming from, it’s
much easier to deal with. Some people seem to think that the only way
they can get what they want is to be manipulative. Remember the
saying, "the squeaky wheel gets the oil." They believe this and think
that if they don't whine and complain that they won't be heard and
that this is the only way to get what they want.

Remember that the negative behaviour is a reflection of them. It tells
you what kind of person they are and what issues they may be dealing
with. It's not a reflection of who you are.

Also you can add jelousy and envy to the list.

Jealousy is an emotion and typically refers to the negative thoughts
and feelings of insecurity, fear, and anxiety over an anticipated loss
of something that the person values, such as a relationship,
friendship, or love. Jealousy often consists of a combination of
emotions such as anger, sadness, and disgust.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all you positive people...... Keep
on flipping!!!!!

kbliznick

Dec 15, 2009, 11:53:17 AM12/15/09
> So, in theory, is a Shaker motor for a "NON-LE LOTR" still possible to
> pull off?

It would seem so.
What are the differences in the whitestar and Sam driver boards? Are
there the same number of coil drivers?

Can someone check the code revision in their LE (hold the right
flipper button on start-up)?

MrBally

Dec 15, 2009, 12:14:28 PM12/15/09
On Dec 15, 7:32 am, Adm56 <adm56h...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Original LOtR translites are still available for those that don't like
the BG. Plus, the BG's can be sold as many would be willing to pay big
bucks for one.

goatdan

Dec 15, 2009, 12:16:27 PM12/15/09
Other than the slings, I actually think it looks better without the
figures... which was not what I was expecting to think at all. Very
cool!

MrBally

Dec 15, 2009, 12:17:48 PM12/15/09
On Dec 15, 11:25 am, mnpinball <mnpinb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The LE LOTR is running a whitestar CPU with a SAM power driver board.

You've just made a lot of original LOtR owners very happy.

MrBally

Dec 15, 2009, 12:19:23 PM12/15/09

Hold on for a few minutes, I'm making a batch of popcorn in my Gold
Medal popcorn-o-Matic.

appetite4pinball

Dec 15, 2009, 12:22:02 PM12/15/09
On Dec 14, 6:38 pm, Mike MN <mdeisenzim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z82/mikeeisenzimmer/lotr/
>
> All I can say is wow!!
>
> Mike

Congratulations! I think it looks fantastic! It does look a little
barren without the toys, but those can be added in quite easily. I'd
really like to see what the back-glass looks like lit up! I was on the
fence about ordering the LE and ending up getting a mint HUO version
last week instead. I think i made the right choice given the price
difference, but if i had a bigger pinball piggy bank i would have
ordered the LE in a heartbeat! I absolutely love playing this game!
It's my first Stern title and I think the game has now by-passed TZ as
my favorite machine of all time. The software and depth is
unbelievable, and the game's theme/story and sounds really draw you
in! You can tell that Stern and the people involved really went all
out on this game! Kudos to Jack and Gary for getting this done!

So far on my game I've added pinbits plastic protectors, stronger ring
post, replacement Pippin (mine was de-capitated!),pinballpal flipper
and start button protectors, pincab leg protectors, i replaced the
Shire fork switch (was loose and flaky). I'm going to order stronger
flipper coils. I thought i could get by with the stock coils, but
they get pretty mushy after i've been playing awhile (2nd run game).
I might also get the Cliffy protectors, although i don't see any sign
of wear at either hole with around 500 plays on my machine. Any other
recommended additions that i'm missing?

Enjoy your game!
-Mike

Mike MN

Dec 15, 2009, 12:37:22 PM12/15/09

Thanks to the positive people!!! Easy to not like it if you don't
have one, just like I hate the sm black, but not really I just wish I
would have waited to get it insead of buying the red roght away.

I would be pissed too if I had the holy Grail of stern (lord) and the
7 years later they made more of what I was hoping was going to
increase in value like bbb.

Really I would be a tad upset. But I also would still enjoy the game
I had.

Mike

Michael O'Brien

Dec 15, 2009, 12:44:35 PM12/15/09
Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, just need to
figure out whos:

1) jealous / envious, thus not giving an honest opinion, vs

2) those that really like or don't care for the appearance, whether or
not you own one.

Don't agree that those without an LE cannot give an opinion. If that's
the case, then the postings here on rgp will dwindle to next to
nothing.

Michael

yzrider926

Dec 15, 2009, 12:48:23 PM12/15/09
Congrats to all the new owners. I like the gold trim, the BG is a
little much, not to bad though. Overall I would be happy to own either
a LE or the HUO one I currenlty have. Great game and I am sure most
people will enjoys theres.

Dennis

kbliznick

Dec 15, 2009, 1:02:54 PM12/15/09
> So far on my game I've added pinbits plastic protectors, stronger ring
> post, replacement Pippin (mine was de-capitated!),pinballpal flipper
> and start button protectors, pincab leg protectors, i replaced the
> Shire fork switch (was loose and flaky). I'm going to order stronger
> flipper coils.  I thought i could get by with the stock coils, but
> they get pretty mushy after i've been playing awhile (2nd run game).
> I might also get the Cliffy protectors, although i don't see any sign
> of wear at either hole with around 500 plays on my machine.  Any other
> recommended additions that i'm missing?
>
> Enjoy your game!
> -Mike

What else?

How about
Custom Shooter Rod- Either the Sting Sword Handle or the clear Acrylic
with the One Ring
Pinball Pal Fluorescent light filter (WOW, this makes huge
difference)
PinGuard DMD shields.
Cliffy Colored Posts.
Light-up Flipper Buttons ( I bought Multi-color changers but I want to
change it to just solidly lit translucent red buttons)
Shaker Motor Kit (pending software availability)
Extra Figures (Sauron, Gimli, Legolas, Boromir, Path of the Dead
Ghosts) Or install figures to plastics instead of zip ties.
EYE flasher in backbox
I changed the flipper rubbers from Black to Red and Now I don't think
I need to install the more powerful flipper coils (I have them but
haven't installed them yet for fear of destroying pastics and figures)

What did I forget?

Pin Lord

Dec 15, 2009, 1:13:06 PM12/15/09
On Dec 14, 7:37 pm, azpinlawyer <gregda...@mail2lawyer.com> wrote:
> I think it looks amazing.
> I prefer the lack of figurines.  Love the BG and love the gold trim.
> BTW, the outlines are more pronounced by the flash.

This guy must have one coming...LOVE the BG??? How can you look at
those pics and love it?? They look like crap! Granted, it is
probably just the picture or the angle of the shot...I mean it MUST be
right? They couldn't have put it out looking like that?!!?!

mr tobias

Dec 15, 2009, 1:19:21 PM12/15/09
On 15 Dec, 00:38, Mike MN <mdeisenzim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z82/mikeeisenzimmer/lotr/
>
> All I can say is wow!!
>
> Mike

Gold trim looks very nice. Worked really well on Elvis Gold and does
so on this one. Not sure about the backglass. Perhaps I'd like it
better if I saw it in the 'flesh' all lit up, but for now I'll reserve
judgement. I miss the playfield figures, but maybe that's because I'm
use to having them there. Not keen on the signatures, or at least
where they located them.

If you missed this superb game in its earlier incarnation, this seems
like a great way to acquire it. Am I jealous of those who've bought
it? Not at all - I bought the game new first time round and I'm
completely satisfied with it. To those who've bought the LE - ENJOY!

Kwisatz

Dec 15, 2009, 1:27:51 PM12/15/09
> EYE flasher in backbox
> I changed the flipper rubbers from Black to Red and Now I don't think
> I need to install the more powerful flipper coils (I have them but
> haven't installed them yet for fear of destroying pastics and figures)

I have the stronger flipper coils. I think they are pretty much
required to reach Valinor. The one and only time I reached Valinor was
shortly after I installed them.
Still haven't got back several years later. Thinking of replacing them
again incase there are now fatigued. Have yet to damage any playfield
parts with the stonger coils.

Steve

bigb32

Dec 15, 2009, 1:28:22 PM12/15/09
What are the easiest mods to install for a newbie?

kbliznick

Dec 15, 2009, 1:37:00 PM12/15/09

> What are the easiest mods to install for a newbie?- Hide quoted text -

Most of the mods are pretty easy.

Easiest Level:
Target Decals
Shooter Rod
Light up buttons
Backbox filter
POTD Ramp
DMD Guard
Flipper button and start button protectors
Pincab leg protectors

Easy level:
Flipper Coils
Plastic protectors
Stronger Ramp Post
Extra Figures
Gold Trim Kit
Change out clear thin posts under slings to red jeweled posts
POTD deflector

Intermediate Level:
Update Software
Eye Flasher Mod
Mound Figures on Plastics
Shaker motor.

Matt S.

Dec 15, 2009, 1:39:22 PM12/15/09

> You don't really need cabinet protectors for a home use only game, do
> you?    What did they paint these with - water colors?

You need them. My NIB LOTR started to fade around the buttons after
about a year. I got protectors on there before it was too bad, but it
absolutely will happen in normal use.

DugFreez

Dec 15, 2009, 1:44:26 PM12/15/09
> Thank you to all for the positive comments.
>
> Negative people:
> Do you understand why this person is so negative? Is it because they
> hate their job, feel frustrated, feel trapped in their life or do they
> lack in self esteem so the only way they can feel powerful is by
> hurting others? If you can understand where it’s coming from, it’s
> much easier to deal with. Some people seem to think that the only way
> they can get what they want is to be manipulative. Remember the
> saying, "the squeaky wheel gets the oil." They believe this and think
> that if they don't whine and complain that they won't be heard and
> that this is the only way to get what they want.
>
> Remember that the negative behaviour is a reflection of them. It tells
> you what kind of person they are and what issues they may be dealing
> with. It's not a reflection of who you are.
>
> Also you can add jelousy and envy to the list.
>
> Jealousy is an emotion and typically refers to the negative thoughts
> and feelings of insecurity, fear, and anxiety over an anticipated loss
> of something that the person values, such as a relationship,
> friendship, or love. Jealousy often consists of a combination of
> emotions such as anger, sadness, and disgust.
>
> Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all you positive people...... Keep
> on flipping!!!!!

Wow...what a load of crap. So if a person has something good to
say...they are telling the truth and being a genuine person, but if
it's negative....it's because their mommy didn't love them enough? Get
over it hippie.

There is nothing wrong with expressing your opinion if it's good or
bad. Many people take their opinions to the extreme and I'm sure SOME
of the comments are out of jealousy or self assurance (trying to
convince themselves that their original LOTR is good enough). But I
think it's foolish to condemn every negative opinion with your new age
"negative energy / positive energy" spin.

Read my original post and tell me about how I'm jealous and I hate
my life. I don't care for the backglass (the opinions seem pretty
split on it) and I think the empty slings look totally ridicules. Why
would you design a pin to have a grass pattern sling plastic and a
stone looking sling plastic? YOU WOULDN'T! It was designed to have
figures standing on them....like they were standing on grass and
stone. It looks stupid and like something is missing without
them...even if someone didn't know they were supposed to be there. I
really doubt ANYONE thinks that a blank grass and stone pattern looks
good there. There is a negative comment that is made, not because I'm
a bad person...but because the fact that it looks the way it does is
negative itself.

Chris

Dec 15, 2009, 1:49:46 PM12/15/09
On Dec 14, 7:38 pm, Mike MN <mdeisenzim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z82/mikeeisenzimmer/lotr/
>
> All I can say is wow!!
>
> Mike

Congrats!!! And thanks for the pics!!!!!

Chris

bigb32

Dec 15, 2009, 1:54:23 PM12/15/09

Anyone know what the free gift from Jack is going to be?

metallik

Dec 15, 2009, 2:38:11 PM12/15/09
> Negative people:
> Do you understand why this person is so negative? Is it because they
> hate their job, feel frustrated, feel trapped in their life or do they
> lack in self esteem so the only way they can feel powerful is by

<big snip>

I think you're REALLY overanalyzing people's reactions here :) The BG
in that picture looks quite gaudy. A lot is likely due to camera
flash, but honestly, the bordering was done in a way that some folks
just might not like. You're taking photorealistic art and adding a
cartoonish border around lots of it - a border that is reflective and
stands out more than the artwork it encases. This could be "really
cool" all the way down to "butt ugly", depending on one's opinion of
that art style. Personally, I don't think it looks bad, but I also
don't think it looks really great either.. I'd like to see one in
person, though.

> Also you can add jelousy and envy to the list.

Eh, doubtful... if people were envious, they'd just go buy a LOTR LE
from the 2nd run. Seriously, I think that glass was not what a lot of
folks were expecting, and an overly bright camera flash picture made
it look worse.

BoJo

Dec 15, 2009, 2:49:26 PM12/15/09
Nice too see they removed the tournament button from the lockdown
bar. I am sure it was done as a cost saving, but regardless I think
it looks a lot better without it.

metallik

Dec 15, 2009, 2:51:44 PM12/15/09
On Dec 15, 11:25 am, mnpinball <mnpinb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The LE LOTR is running a whitestar CPU with a SAM power driver board.

Ok, that is very cool.. now, without trying to be a pest, got another
couple questions... When playing, do the slingshots have more
"oomph" than the regular LOTRs (or Sopranos or TSPP or other Whitestar
games?) I suspect they may be on the 50v rail now, since the SAM
board is being used. If this is the case, any chance of getting good
photographs of the boards and wiring in the backbox? Wondering how
hard it'd be to mod a regular LOTR for SAM driver. Also, if this is
the case, I'll say right now that is the best improvement the LE model
offers over the regular one. 20v slings suck!

kbliznick

Dec 15, 2009, 3:02:50 PM12/15/09
there is a picture of the sling coil here:

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z82/mikeeisenzimmer/lotr/?action=view&current=IMG_1605.jpg

is that a 20V coil or a 50V coil?

Actually a full picture of the coil schematic that is partly visible
in this picture would answer alot of questions.

PinAffliction

Dec 15, 2009, 3:19:20 PM12/15/09
Congratulations Mike and all the other new owners, and thanks for
sharing the pictures.
Opinions are going to be all over the place just as was the case with
BSM.
The gold outlines on the backglass are brightest just adjacent to
where you can see the flash reflection, this is to be expected from a
metalized paint, note the gold is much more subdued off axis on the
left side of the photo.
Keep in mind that under normal conditions this glass will be back-lit,
and that gold paint will likely diminish to a dark outline under that
condition.
While there seems to be some irregularity in the gold lines, this may
be intentional to give an antique filigree flavor, note you can see
very good detail in the gold above the eye for example. I might have
preferred to have just the gold border rather than the outlined
characters, but I expect this backglass looks great in person.
I would also recommend the flipper button protectors, the artwork is
very fragile here for whatever reason even in home use.
When you have the time I would be very interested to know what the
software version is.
Thanks for sharing, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Scott

appetite4pinball

Dec 15, 2009, 3:30:25 PM12/15/09

Thanks for putting that list of mods together. So far I've mainly
been focusing on protective mods, but i'll likely do some of the other
mods you mentioned later. High on my list are flipper coils, shaker
motor, DMD shield or filter, and warming filter. Adding extra figures
is a possibility if i can do so in a way that is reversible, looks
stock, and doesn't affect game-play (diverting the POTD). Anyone know
if the clear acrylic (with ring) shooter rod is going to be made
again? thanks,

Mike

kbliznick

Dec 15, 2009, 3:35:49 PM12/15/09
OK

Looking at the SAM and WHITESTAR driver boards it appears that they
are functionally the same board, and the SAM is backwards compatible
down to the later model whitestar driver boards. The only differences
I see in the boards is the use of surface mount components and the
indicator LED's. Otherwise it's the same number of connectors and
locations and driver transistors.
Maybe there are some other subtle differences but I don't think it
amounts to much.
So I think this means 20v slings.

PinFlipper

Dec 15, 2009, 3:58:17 PM12/15/09

now im not a huge fan of sterns products but how can u throw a dig on
the only company out there building completed pinballs...at least its
a finished completed game. cant say the same for other companys out
there!!!!

DugFreez

Dec 15, 2009, 4:06:37 PM12/15/09

I'm not familiar with with LOTR (original or LE) but the tourney
button not being on the lockdown bar does sound like an improvement if
it was originally on the lockdown bar. I love the tournament system on
my Black Spider-Man but I hate the tourney button placement. It is
much better suited for the front of the cabinet.

It is loading more messages.