Data East Star Wars slam tilt question

tim

Oct 9, 2003, 3:45:57 PM10/9/03
I have a long way to go on this pinball project, but thought I would
start here. The game says slam tilt a lot and usually when you hit
the left flipper hard. I have checked the switch on the coin door and
it looks fine. Is there another slam switch somewhere? I found one in
the bottom of the game that had wires cut, but I can not find where it
came from. Strange...any help would be greatly apprecited. Maybe by
tonight I will have more pics posted on my website.
www.timsarcade.net
thanks
Tim Peterson
tyler tx

Michael Hall

Oct 9, 2003, 4:42:10 PM10/9/03
Hello,

I had this similar problem with my D.E. Star Wars too when I purchased
it back in January. I sat down with the manual and entered the switch
diagnostics on the machine. I was able to determine that the row on the
switch matrix chart for the right flipper and the row for the left flipper
were causing other switches on the respective rows to report closed
intermittently whenever I used the flippers. It just turns out that the
left flipper is on the same row as the slam tilt switch. (That's why I did
not know about the right flipper row being involved too, thank goodness for
built in diagnostics). Thanks to all the suggestions on the news group and
for what Denis from Pinball Universe had told me about things coming loose
during shipping sometimes, I began to suspect a short caused by vibration.
So I did the thing that I read about on this news group and banged on the
playfield while opening and closing a switch with my other hand. Tada!! As
I got closer to the drain hole as I banged on the playfield I began to see
other switches start to erroneously fire in the matrix. Suddenly I thought
to myself could it be the outhole switch, it's in the same column as the
Left and Right Flipper? So I lifted the playfield and I could not believe
it! There are two metal latches on the front of the playfield that catch on
the
front of the cabinet. One of the two screws that holds this latch had
backed out and was still partially in the metal latch and the head of the
screw was resting on the terminal of the outhole coil/switch. I screwed it
back in tight lowered the playfield and the problem was gone. I would
suggest checking these latches, because I have seen this happen on my
machine and a friends machine.

Also, this machine only has one slam tilt switch on the front door. If
you found cut wires on the bottom of the cabinet it could be the connection
for the knocker. Often these get used in the field to replace other coils.
I hope this helps.

--
Michael Hall

Remove "StopSpam." to email me...

"tim" <timb...@aol.com> wrote in message

Cliffy

Jul 7, 2012, 6:24:39 PM7/7/12
to Michael Hall
I know I'm replying to an ancient thread, well, 9 years old anyway. But doggone it I just had too. My own DE Star Wars has been resetting for a while now but I've been too busy to get to it. However I'm on a "super secret mission" related to some Star Wars testing right now so I needed it to work more than 2 games.

My first thought was failing bridge although I had gone over the boards years ago when I got the game. Still, bridges fail. I knew my fuse clips and connectors were good because I did all that way back when too. Well, while trying it out last night I was actually able to catch the display just as the game reset. SLAM TILT. Aha! Now I've got somewhere to start from.

A quick google search of RGP and here I find Michael's post. "Bah" sez I. "Couldn't be that simple and what would be the odds anway?" I mean, honestly, doesn't every tech problem deserve jumping right into the hardest possible solution? Don't we all wanna just dive into the boards looking for failed resistor networks? You know ya do, c'mon :)

So I flip up the playfield and sonofabiscuit there it is. The same damn screw Michael talks about loose and resting on a tab of the outhole switch! In disbelief and with still only 99% of my faith intact I run 'er back in and tighten, put 'er back together and play play play. No resets! Faith restored :)

So once again thank you RGP, Google for the archive and especially Michael Hall for posting his solution (something I wish everyone would do)
Gratze!

Cliffy - CARGPB2
www.passionforpinball.com

On Thursday, October 9, 2003 1:42:10 PM UTC-7, Michael Hall wrote:
> Thanks to all the suggestions on the news group and
> for what Denis from Pinball Universe had told me about things coming loose
> during shipping sometimes, I began to suspect a short caused by vibration.
> So I did the thing that I read about on this news group and banged on the
> playfield while opening and closing a switch with my other hand. Tada!! As
> I got closer to the drain hole as I banged on the playfield I began to see
> other switches start to erroneously fire in the matrix. Suddenly I thought
> to myself could it be the outhole switch, it's in the same column as the
> Left and Right Flipper? So I lifted the playfield and I could not believe
> it! There are two metal latches on the front of the playfield that catch on
> the
> front of the cabinet. One of the two screws that holds this latch had
> backed out and was still partially in the metal latch and the head of the
> screw was resting on the terminal of the outhole coil/switch. I screwed it
> back in tight lowered the playfield and the problem was gone. I would
> suggest checking these latches, because I have seen this happen on my
> machine and a friends machine.
>

> --
> Michael Hall

Chad H

Jul 8, 2012, 1:24:15 AM7/8/12

"Secret mission? What plans? What are you talking about? I'm not getting
in there! Don't call me a mindless philosopher, you overweight glob of
grease!"

Cliffy,

That's so awesome! I'll bet your Star Wars is now playing better than
ever. :)

--
Chad H
This USENET post sent from http://rgparchive.com

Cliffy

Jul 8, 2012, 3:30:13 PM7/8/12
On 7/7/2012 10:24 PM, Chad H wrote:
> "Secret mission? What plans? What are you talking about? I'm not getting
> in there! Don't call me a mindless philosopher, you overweight glob of
> grease!"
>
> Cliffy,
>
> That's so awesome! I'll bet your Star Wars is now playing better than
> ever. :)

"Why I should stick my neck out for you is far beyond my capacity"
It's playing GREAT. After probably 7 games in a row I finally got my
name in lights at 106 mil and didn't even get a multiball. All my
efforts were aimed at collecting the force awards and trying to finish
each mode. I think I only hit the ramp 5 times. Will go back today and
see what I can do about getting a real score :)

--
Cliffy -CARGPB2
Home of the world's finest pinball protectors!

jef...@online.no

Mar 15, 2017, 7:25:09 AM3/15/17
Michael Hall (above)
Thank you!
I had this slam tilt problem for 4 weeks with our Rocky & Bullwinkle pinball game.
It was really boring because we have it in a youth club and the slam tilt went on whenever I used
the used the left flipper.
Afte reading your instructions I found the screw causing the short circuit.
Easy Peasy! Tightened it up and no more problem.
The service partner was 2 hours and many weeks away!!!
Thanks again.
(let me know if you get this).
Kind regards,
Jeffrey Tick
Norway

gabrie...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2017, 3:00:00 AM4/25/17
I have not been on this group in forever and was happy to see that one of my ancient posts was helpful to at least two people.

Michael Hall

jjrs...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2017, 6:03:22 PM8/23/17
I just had this exact some problem on my Stars Wars machine, sure enough, this was the fix. So glad for the internet! What did people do when they had tech issues like this before it?

magu...@hotmail.com

Nov 4, 2018, 4:24:44 PM11/4/18
Hello, do you have any pics of the location of the screw? I have the same problem. Thanks.

John Robertson

Nov 4, 2018, 4:46:30 PM11/4/18
On 2018/11/04 1:24 PM, magu...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hello, do you have any pics of the location of the screw? I have the same problem. Thanks.

For all those that don't know how to search RGP on Google Groups here is
Micheal's original post about the loose screw causing odd Slam Tilts!

-----------------(begin quote from 09/10/2003)-------------------

[...]

----
Michael Hall

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com