Opinions on Family Guy please.

dannunz

Jan 12, 2012, 4:15:31 PM1/12/12

Is it a fairly deep game with the latest code? How hard it it to get to
the wizard mode and how is the wizard mode? What is the going price for
HUO? Thanks

--
dannunz
This USENET post sent from http://rgparchive.com

NM

Jan 12, 2012, 4:25:08 PM1/12/12

dannunz;1861672 Wrote:
> Is it a fairly deep game with the latest code? How hard it it to get to
> the wizard mode and how is the wizard mode? What is the going price for
> HUO? Thanks

The Mullet Crew has placed this title on their Killer Game list.

Detailed answers to many of your questions here:
http://www.pinballreviews.com/frev.htm except this one:

Current HUO pricing: around $3700.

--
NM

Current: AFM, CFTBL, FGY, MB, NGG, SS, STTNG, TAF, ToM, TSPP, TZ, WH2O,
'54 Gottlieb Stage Coach.

Joe S

Jan 12, 2012, 4:33:33 PM1/12/12
FGY is a really good game. The wizard mode, Sperm Attack, is very
difficult to acheive (I've gotten there once and I've owned it for
four years now). The TV mini-wiz mode is awesome, and trying to
acheive the Stewie multiball super jackpot is tough as hell.

Killer humor, great mini playfield, unique layout, great rules. One
of Stern's best.

Rare Hero

Jan 12, 2012, 4:41:02 PM1/12/12
On Jan 12, 1:15 pm, dannunz <dann...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is it a fairly deep game with the latest code?  How hard it it to get to
> the wizard mode and how is the wizard mode?  What is the going price for
> HUO? Thanks

One of Stern's best. Fairly deep - 2 wizard modes. I've had the game
since its release in '07 and STILL can't get to Sperm Attack...the
game has tons of objectives, good stacking strategy, cool playfield
layout with great combo shots, great sound, a great toy (mini
pinball). Those who say the mini pinball is a detriment - I just
don't think they get it. You need the mini pinball to get Stewie
Multiball, where you have to play the main and mini simultaneously and
strategically to get all the jackpots...it's really cool!

Greg

Detroitboy

Jan 12, 2012, 4:42:27 PM1/12/12
On Jan 12, 1:15 pm, dannunz <dann...@yahoo.com> wrote:
If you are a fan of the show its a "must have" game. The sound clips
are among the best of any game, and I still hear new ones sometimes.
Everybody here always hits a flipper button when they walk past it to
hear whatever clip might come up.
For those who are not fans they mostly find it interesting to say the
least. And the mini playfield is actually playable. I'd say the game
is more of an entertainment item than a deep ruled "players game" like
LOTR though. But everyone does like it and you certainly don't find
them around very often. If you worry about your kids hearing fart
sounds, sexual innuendos or poop jokes scratch it off your list.

mr tobias

Jan 12, 2012, 4:44:14 PM1/12/12
I highly recommend it. Excellent rules, interesting layout that as
never got old for me since new. One I'm keeping indefinitely.

Really hard to believe it's just four short years since Stern released
a game like this at a price operators had a chance of seeing a return
on. Now seems like the good old days!

shlockdoc

Jan 12, 2012, 4:50:56 PM1/12/12

Great pin and it is holding its value well. I say that, not so the
anti-capitialist thugs can flame me, but you should not get burned on
resale if it is not for you. Good luck and i think the two main items
are wear at the TV hole and the center post operating well. I am sure
there are other things to look for.

--
shlockdoc

Brighton Ive

Jan 12, 2012, 4:54:37 PM1/12/12
On Jan 12, 9:15 pm, dannunz <dann...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hmmm. I had one for a year. I would say it isn't as deep as folk seem
to make out. For me the modes got old quick - enjoyable as they are,
there just aren't enough. For some reason the game just feels very
repetitive. TV scoop, mini pinball ...... tv scoop, mini
pinball .....endless multiballs also. Oh and chances are you will
*never* get to the Wizard mode. Seriously. I did it with the glass off
just before I sold it ...and I nearly klost the will to live making
all the shots ... LOL

I did enjoy it but never miss it.

The CNY PIN GUY

Jan 12, 2012, 8:21:57 PM1/12/12
Find your penis 1 dollar

okay here is my shake

i pre ordered the game at the same time POTC was coming out and Family
Guy was next to be released in Winter

I have a EP machine

i went on title and Designer Pat Lawlor

it has 5 key modes based on featured shows , then your mini
playfield , beer can awards , crazy chris, evil money etc

onwed it since new i got the mini Wiz mode 2 times

the super jackpot while in Stewie MB is a bitch to get

i like a challenge so i set lois to hard so your spinner counts are
high to lit your scoop

its deep but not LOTR deep - are there shots and things to do YES
Colorful art package YES Adult Humour F Yea

i hate playing for 20 minutes its boring I like a good game slap in
face and move on

Hold its Value

I paid like 3850 NIB and i will make money iif not break even after 4
years of playing it BUT i have not had any urge to sell this and its
the oldest game in my lineup as far as time in counts - its a keeper
for me but we all have a different view

James

jeffb418

Jan 12, 2012, 8:23:50 PM1/12/12

The CNY PIN GUY;1861826 Wrote:
> On Jan 12, 4:54*pm, Brighton Ive <ivandurn... (AT) hotmail (DOT) com>
> wrote:
> > On Jan 12, 9:15*pm, dannunz <dann... (AT) yahoo (DOT) com> wrote:
> >
> > > Is it a fairly deep game with the latest code? *How hard it it to
> get to
> > > the wizard mode and how is the wizard mode? *What is the going price
> for
> > > HUO? Thanks
> >
> > > --
> > > dannunz
> > > This USENET post sent from *http://rgparchive.com
Plus James "smells like poop"

--
jeffb418

Jeff B
--------
Salt City Pinball Group (Central NY)
http://groups.google.com/group/SaltCityPinball

The CNY PIN GUY

Jan 12, 2012, 8:33:19 PM1/12/12
> Salt City Pinball Group (Central NY)http://groups.google.com/group/SaltCityPinball
> This USENET post sent from  http://rgparchive.com- Hide quoted text -

Jeff my boy its "James Loves Poop"

Check it Out :-)

http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/The-Cny-Guys-Toys/Auto_FG

ScottinSGFNY

Jan 12, 2012, 8:45:09 PM1/12/12
> > This USENET post sent from  http://rgparchive.com-Hide quoted text -

> Jeff my boy its "James Loves Poop"
>
> Check it Out :-)
>
> http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/The-Cny-Guys-Toys/Auto_FG

All this time I thought it was "James eats POOP" - thanks for the
correction but i'm sticking with my version.

ScottinSGFNY

jeffb418

Jan 12, 2012, 8:47:19 PM1/12/12

ScottinSGFNY;1861833 Wrote:
> On Jan 12, 8:33*pm, The CNY PIN GUY <cnypinball... (AT) gmail (DOT) com>
> wrote:
> > > This USENET post sent from *http://rgparchive.com-Hide quoted text
> -

> > Jeff my boy its "James Loves Poop"
> >
> > Check it Out :-)
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/6sdutag
>
> All this time I thought it was "James eats POOP" - thanks for the
> correction but i'm sticking with my version.
>
> ScottinSGFNY

Next time I visit Ill bring a silver sharpie and correct it =)

phishrace

Jan 12, 2012, 8:58:12 PM1/12/12
On Jan 12, 1:15 pm, dannunz <dann...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is it a fairly deep game with the latest code?  How hard it it to get to
> the wizard mode and how is the wizard mode?  What is the going price for
> HUO? Thanks

FGY is one of the few games where you mostly ignore the main wiz mode.
Instead the goal is to reach TV mini wiz mode. TV wiz mode is a timed
single ball mode that's extremely addicting. Stacking modes and
multiballs can yield a lot of points in a hurry. Could be Stern's best
stacking game. IMO FGY/ Shrek is Stern's best game.

-phish

MrBally

Jan 12, 2012, 9:40:49 PM1/12/12
Greta game. I've only got to sperm wiz mode once, and that was with
the glass off. Had NIB since the release.

I believe that was a "Jack played it, he likes it" game.

The CNY PIN GUY

Jan 12, 2012, 9:35:57 PM1/12/12
On Jan 12, 8:58 pm, phishrace <phishr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
DAMMIT SCOTT !!

okay just you and Gerry - Punks

socal_steve

Jan 12, 2012, 9:48:16 PM1/12/12
"oh, this here? It's just my package"

I pretty much agree with what everyone has said. The mini tv wizard
mode is awesome. Not easy to get to, but also not a chore.

Other features not mentioned: sound package. The sounds never get old.
There are so many sounds in this game it's great. But you do have to
understand FGY humor to appreciate it. Also, there's so many added
mini modes and features besides just the normal mode start scoop. it's
a pat lawlor classic.

Gerry

Jan 12, 2012, 10:19:01 PM1/12/12
> > -

> > > Jeff my boy its "James Loves Poop"
>
> > > Check it Out :-)
>
> > >http://tinyurl.com/6sdutag
>
> > All this time I thought it was "James eats POOP" - thanks for the
> > correction but i'm sticking with my version.
>
> > ScottinSGFNY
>
> Next time I visit Ill bring a silver sharpie and correct it =)
>
> --
> jeffb418
>
> Jeff B
> --------
> Salt City Pinball Group (Central NY)http://groups.google.com/group/SaltCityPinball
> This USENET post sent from  http://rgparchive.com- Hide quoted text -

Its " James eats POOP" get it straight !

Rare Hero

Jan 12, 2012, 11:24:53 PM1/12/12
On Jan 12, 5:21 pm, The CNY PIN GUY <cnypinball...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I paid like 3850 NIB and i will make money iif not break even after 4
> years of playing

No way, some assholes put graffiti all over it! That game ain't worth
shit! ;)

Greg

The CNY PIN GUY

Jan 12, 2012, 11:29:53 PM1/12/12
Greg

Good thing I sure play a mean Pinball huh :-)

There are 2 captions - I see where the country is going ...

ScottinSGFNY

Jan 12, 2012, 11:40:57 PM1/12/12
On Jan 12, 11:24 pm, Rare Hero <rarehero...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Vandals.......

RotaryRex

Jan 13, 2012, 2:02:59 AM1/13/12
I've been looking at a Shrek how does it compare? I know the playfield
the same layout and I believe rules are identical just with different
names? But I've heard the sound packages isn't as varied or as
spectacular, any opiniOns from guys with time on Shrek/ both pins for
comparison?

Brighton Ive

Jan 13, 2012, 4:52:38 AM1/13/12
Think its totally down to which 'theme' you prefer. I think the FGY
seems to make more sense ...eg the beercan is clearly a beer can ..not
a mirror. Stewies pinball just seems waaaay more Stewie then Donkey -
if that makes sense.

Remember you can always throw the FGY software on there for a
change : )

Rare Hero

Jan 13, 2012, 5:03:36 AM1/13/12
The only physical difference is that there's no coil under Fiona, so
she's stationary vs. Meg, who bounces up and down "crying". Oh, and
there's a light socket in the bumper under Shrek...there wasn't one
under Peter (but I added one myself).

Shrek's got some cool sound. The first ball has "All Star" and the
next 2 have movie score. There just isn't as much voicework as in
Family Guy. You'll hear more stuff repeat in Shrek.

If you get one, get the theme you like best. You can run the software
for either game on either game, if you wanna change stuff up a bit.

Greg

Pinball Life

Jan 13, 2012, 5:40:46 AM1/13/12

I've had Family Guy since I bought it NIB about 4 years ago. IMHO it
really holds up over time. The layout is quite different than all other
modern Stern pins, that's for sure.
Terry.

--
Pinball Life

yzrider926

Jan 13, 2012, 10:22:54 AM1/13/12

I've had mine since 2007, and don't plan on selling it anytime soon. It
does seem to be a game you don't see for sale very often.

--
yzrider926

Stokiebouy

Jan 13, 2012, 10:29:18 AM1/13/12
So just curious.

From a maintenance point of view, any issues with Family Guy?

Aside from regular clean and maintain stuff.

regards
Paul

Detroitboy

Jan 13, 2012, 10:58:16 AM1/13/12
Not a thing yet and its gotten lots of play for the past 3 years.

Larry Esposito

Jan 13, 2012, 11:00:24 AM1/13/12

Stokiebouy;1862144 Wrote:
> On Jan 13, 9:22*am, yzrider926 <DSingleto... (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>
> wrote:
> > I've had mine since 2007, and don't plan on selling it anytime soon.
> It
> > does seem to be a game you don't see for sale very often.
> >
> > --
> > yzrider926
> > This USENET post sent from *http://rgparchive.com
>
> So just curious.
>
> From a maintenance point of view, any issues with Family Guy?
>
> Aside from regular clean and maintain stuff.
>
> regards
> Paul

Yes,

The little ball gets stuck on the plastics behind the flippers on the
mini-PF. I had to put a little stewie character there to stop it. Beer
can sticker gets hosed quick.

Other than that, not much else to worry about.

I agree with the concensus. Great game!

--
Larry Esposito

stevenp

Jan 13, 2012, 11:01:59 AM1/13/12

Most people here seem to like it. I don't. The layout and shots don't
really appeal to me, and that is consistent each time I play it.
Clearly I'm in the minority here.

--
stevenp

Robert Somerdin

Jan 13, 2012, 1:46:37 PM1/13/12
I've had family guy a few years now & no issues at all. I never
watched the show before I owned the pin, but the pin is so funny I now
watch the show..

Personally never had any issues with the ball getting stuck on the
mini pf..

Robert

NM

Jan 13, 2012, 3:37:39 PM1/13/12

Robert Somerdin;1862314 Wrote:

> Personally never had any issues with the ball getting stuck on the
> mini pf..

Me neither.

--
NM

Current: AFM, CFTBL, FGY, MB, NGG, SS, STTNG, TAF, ToM, TSPP, TZ, WH2O,
'54 Gottlieb Stage Coach.

Larry Esposito

Jan 13, 2012, 4:10:10 PM1/13/12

NM;1862388 Wrote:
> Me neither.

I posted a few months ago if anyone else had the problem and how to fix
it and I got several replies from people that they had the same problem.

Strange.....

In any event, I would say it is not a machine that has many maintenance
issues at all. I would not let that topic prevent me from buying one.

--
Larry Esposito

worstballlever

Jan 13, 2012, 5:20:40 PM1/13/12
have you ever taken a long straw and stuck it up your ass and tried
sucking your own shit through the straw, thats exactly how playing
family guy is. Shitty and you leave with a bad taste in your mouth.

Gerry

Jan 13, 2012, 10:56:31 PM1/13/12
WOW, what a picture.......

I got nothin for that one ! you left me speachless.....and i
must say, i am definitely one of the grossest fuckers ever...

At least thats what pretty much everybody that knows me tells me and
everyone else..........LOL

I can see you really love FG..... Tell us how you really
feel ... :)

J. Weaver Jr.

Jan 14, 2012, 10:34:12 AM1/14/12
Stokiebouy wrote:

> So just curious.
>
> From a maintenance point of view, any issues with Family Guy?
>
> Aside from regular clean and maintain stuff.

No issues here, in over 4 years of steady play. The only thing I've
noticed is that the beer can sticker got chewed up pretty quickly, so
the first time I replaced it, I trimmed the border top and bottom and
mounted the sticker so that the ball hits the can _below_ it. Problem
solved.

No plans to remove/replace this machine any time soon. -JW

MrBally

Jan 14, 2012, 10:41:47 AM1/14/12
As soon as I started to see the fast wear on the beer can sticker, I
covered the ball contact area with a piece of Bally slingshot mylar
cut to fit that area. Never worried about it again. The only tough
areas to clean are the Newton ball tracks and the pf below the stewie
PF but nobody can see hidden dirt anyway.

I've had the mini PF ball get stuck twice at the top of the plexi
surround fence wedged against the maing PF glass. Would have loved to
have had a video of that happening.