Iron Man review from Minnesota

mnpinball

Apr 18, 2010, 2:17:52 PM4/18/10
Got the game set up.
Code v.91 loaded. Adjusted a left EOS switch. Adjusted the Iron
Monger mech to sit better flush in the PF. Coil pulse set to hard.
Background music set full.
Game is wicked fast and flows nice on the outer orbit with both
spinners.
Stern and team have a hit here.

Four words.. This game fuckin' ROCKS !!!

Ok back to playing and kicking Bryan Kelly's ass !

PS: already have a Stern bulletin in order for the Monger mech
complements of Bryan.

Pinball Plus

Apr 18, 2010, 2:36:14 PM4/18/10

Would you say its on par with Spidey? Or at least has the possibility
after updates etc. Jason?

mnpinball

Apr 18, 2010, 2:50:09 PM4/18/10

Anyone that owns a Spidey would love this game and would complement
it. It's action packed, in your face and fast. Need more play time on
it but it's really looking damn good so far ;). The soundtrack is
killer.
Get over here and play a few games ;)

Rare Hero

Apr 18, 2010, 3:25:13 PM4/18/10
On Apr 18, 11:50 am, mnpinball <mnpinb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Anyone that owns a Spidey would love this game and would complement
> it. It's action packed, in your face and fast. Need more play time on
> it but it's really looking damn good so far ;). The soundtrack is
> killer.
> Get over here and play a few games ;)

Make some youtube vids, ya bastahd! ;)

Does the .91 update have more movie clips/sounds/voices?

Greg

above average man

Apr 18, 2010, 4:26:29 PM4/18/10

I will say this, as much as I think Iron Man looks sort of boring, it
would indeed be a kick-ass compliment to Spider Man. Just theme and
looks alone would really be sharp.

Jay Bass

Apr 18, 2010, 6:32:16 PM4/18/10
Very cool Jason I'm glad to hear you give it a positive review. I'm
dying to try it. Hopefully 1.0 FW will really push this title over the
top, it already sounds like a hit even with its few shortcomings.

azpinlawyer

Apr 18, 2010, 6:37:31 PM4/18/10

The code, J, the code!!! How are the RULES?!

scott (Detroit Pinball)

Apr 18, 2010, 7:48:09 PM4/18/10

Greg,
Code is still way in its infancy,
*Skill shot is less than desirable, It would be better if the Up Post
actually stayed down-- it would take more skill.
*With future updates--It would be nice to see the magnets actually
catch the ball and you would have to knock the ball off the magnet
with another ball.
The bottom magnet beats the shit out of you(it results in a good many
drains), the object is to make sure to Not hit the magnet.

BBH and IM have very similar layouts, If you like the crane in Dark
Knight, I think the Deer in BBH works in almost a simmilar manner in
creating more shots, I actually like the deer a little better.

The games appear to be in STERN'S spartic philosophy with doing more
with less... which they actually pulled off in decent fashion, you
really dont feel that way when you play them.

I think Terry at Pinball Life is going to sell a ton of his LOTR
coils, I could see how they would make a nice edition on IM. The
ramps are steep, if you dont "nut' the right ramp, its going to
travel back down and sometimes drain down the middle. I could see
how this could aggrovate some players-- "Boag out there?".

Personally I dont like how they did the spinners on IM, I understand
why (they moved them forward from the orbit), they were trying to
create 2 extra shots and have them seperat from the orbit shots. My
feeling is that its to sharp of an angle to actually nut them dead on
to get that pure spinner joy.

All in all its a fun game, and would compliment SM.
STERN will sell a lot of IM's and probablly will out sell BBH 2 to 1.
Even though I like the IM theme better, in my opinion so far, I think
BBH is the better game.
Both games the code needs a lot of work and I never complain about
code.

IM plays like a fast and furious S Ritchie game, and I found BBH not
to be stop and go, but a little more forgiving and I was able to
control the ball a little better in making my shots and slow the pace
down a bit.

Anyway STERN has 2 good games on their hands, Definately not Spidey
good, but vert respectable none the less, a little on the spartic side
would be my main negatives for both games. Both will do Very Well for
themselves on Location

Scott
Detrot Pinball

purplenurple

Apr 18, 2010, 8:02:09 PM4/18/10
What exactly does spartic mean?

Jeff Palmer

Apr 18, 2010, 8:15:49 PM4/18/10
On Apr 18, 7:02 pm, purplenurple <thearcadeadd...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> What exactly does spartic mean?

Spartic: The ability to play pinball while only wearing a loin cloth

azpinlawyer

Apr 18, 2010, 8:34:12 PM4/18/10
On Apr 18, 4:48 pm, "scott (Detroit Pinball)"

Thanks, Scott. Just what I wanted to know.

azpinlawyer

Apr 18, 2010, 8:34:31 PM4/18/10

I think he meant Spartan.

mnpinball

Apr 18, 2010, 8:42:43 PM4/18/10
We took some video, will have on YouTube later. I'm loading the game
up and heading home now.
Had about 25 people at Bryan's and everyone was impressed and liked
the game. Many commented it was Borg's best effort to date ! It felt
like playing a Ritchie pin. It played like Spidey with the exception
that Spideys ramps had more speed and flowed just faster. This game
is FAST and can be brutal. Ops will make a ton of money with it.

scott (Detroit Pinball)

Apr 18, 2010, 9:58:18 PM4/18/10
On Apr 18, 8:02 pm, purplenurple <thearcadeadd...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> What exactly does spartic mean?

What I mean by "spartic"
They are stripping back and taking money out of the game, money that
would normally go into additional "shit to shoot at" on the topside of
the playfield-- ie drop targets, newton balls, anything in this
line...

Put an IM next to lets say a Theatre of Magic and you will see what I
mean.

Make no mistake--IM and BBH both do Very well with what they have on
the game. Home Collectors-- will probably notice a difference but
Location players will not notice a difference.

Scott
Detroit Pinball
who is not a "Sparty"

djcharlie17

Apr 18, 2010, 10:00:09 PM4/18/10
Note to self... Call Jason, play Iron Man on next trip to MN. ;-)

Charlie
http://www.spookypinball.com

MrBally

Apr 18, 2010, 10:03:03 PM4/18/10
On Apr 18, 9:58 pm, "scott (Detroit Pinball)"

Only noticeable missing feature on IM are drop targets. The stand ups
seem out of place. Kind of like on SM.

purplenurple

Apr 18, 2010, 10:05:39 PM4/18/10
I know what you were trying to say, i just wanted to know if it was
actually a word.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spartic
spartic - no dictionary results

Maybe you meant sparse?

1. thinly scattered or distributed: a sparse population.
2. not thick or dense; thin: sparse hair.
3. scanty; meager.

Just giving you a hard time :)
Thanks for the review, my IM shows up here in Southern California next
week.

Bryan Kelly

Apr 19, 2010, 6:38:47 AM4/19/10
It was a fun game, I think everyone enjoyed it. However, it was not
one anyone felt the need to rush out and buy. Might pickup a HUO one
a year from now.

Bryan (CARGPB 14)
http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

mnpinball

Apr 19, 2010, 8:39:46 AM4/19/10
On Apr 19, 5:38 am, Bryan Kelly <bskel...@aol.com> wrote:
> It was a fun game, I think everyone enjoyed it.  However, it was not
> one anyone felt the need to rush out and buy.  Might pickup a HUO one
> a year from now.
>
> Bryan (CARGPB 14)http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

> On Apr 18, 7:42 pm, mnpinball <mnpinb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > We took some video, will have on YouTube later.  I'm loading the game
> > up and heading home now.
> > Had about 25 people at Bryan's and everyone was impressed and liked
> > the game.  Many commented it was Borg's best effort to date !  It felt
> > like playing a Ritchie pin. It played like Spidey with the exception
> > that Spideys ramps had more speed and flowed just faster.  This game
> > is FAST and can be brutal. Ops will make a ton of money with it.

One video is up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTyds7qi5hQ

mnpinball

Apr 19, 2010, 8:52:07 AM4/19/10
On Apr 19, 6:39 am, mnpinball <mnpinb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> One video is up.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTyds7qi5hQ- Hide quoted text -

Have to excuse the double flippin' after the ball ends, so used to
Spidey and aborting animations ;-)

gpsdrew

Apr 19, 2010, 9:01:51 AM4/19/10
Doesn't anyone else think that Stern should address the flipper coil
strength issue, insetad of it being an after market mod? In many of
these reviews people talk about this and they are brand new games???
IMO Stern needs to address this before they ship any more games,
because imagine how bad they are going to be in a game on location
after a couple thousand plays...
:(
Drew

MRG

Apr 19, 2010, 9:26:57 AM4/19/10

The problem is not the flipper strength, it a design flaw in the right
ramp. Increasing the flipper strength helps to overcome this flaw.

Bryan Kelly

Apr 19, 2010, 9:50:08 AM4/19/10
I really liked the music and the general sounds. It reminded me of 24
and SM. The music is that "in your face", "get your heart pumping"
type stuff that's well done. It really gets you into the game.

The problem I had was the voices. They were boring as could be.
Reminded me of the blah stuff from 24. It would have been much better
with a little more excitement coming from the actors.

On Apr 19, 7:52 am, mnpinball <mnpinb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Apr 19, 6:39 am, mnpinball <mnpinb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > One video is up.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTyds7qi5hQ-Hide quoted text -

ChrisH

Apr 19, 2010, 10:03:00 AM4/19/10
I played Iron Man with Derek yesterday. He was giddy to say the
least. So here is my review of the game, for whatever it's worth.

The cabinet art and backglass are nicely done. The plastic apron
looks fine but only time will tell if it will hold up to lifting the
playfield in and out. The playfield art is generally nice and I think
it was a good decision to go with less photoshop work on the playfield
as a whole. The slings are of course the typical Stern secondary
character photoshop pics.

The playfield is wide, wide open. The action figures are the
typical off the shelf variety and in the wide open spaces of the game
they look small. In fact, War machine in the dark far back corner
kind of disappears a little bit. So at first look it feels like the
game is barely there.

The sound and music are very well done. It has perfectly
implemented music that feels like the movie and fits the theme
throughout. The sound effects of the battle, the jet engine sounds,
machine gun fire, etc. all add to the overall feel of the game. The
code is coming along for sure and Lyman is once again the guy we all
should be thanking. He has proven over and over that he can write
code for any layout that improves the game in every way. If Gary
really is keeping inserts to a minimum for whatever reason, Lyman
knows how to write code that virtually puts them back onto the
playfield.

The shots on the game are really nothing special or new. The feel of
the game comes from the magnets and the War machine kicker, all of
which are used in very cool ways so far. But I must add that the
magnets are cheaters as people have mentioned. In the short time I
played I had the magnets shove the ball down the outlanes several,
very frustrating times. On one occasion I had the Whiplash magnet
throw the ball into a bounce and it hopped over the right outlane
guide and into the drain. It made me want to beat the shit out of
something. On a good game or during league play I would have to take
a long walk if something like that happened. So in my mind, this new
"random" addition is a giant negative. But at the same time, the
effect of the magnets is very cool. I just think that for home play
or league play, Lyman should have a code save that can be turned on
and avoid the feeling of a rip-off. 35 million was my highest score
and I'm sure the magnets helped.

The Whiplash shot is intersting and more difficult to hit than you
would first expect since it is tucked behind the ramp in a way that
blocks the right backhand mostly. The orbits flow and are fast. The
speed of the game that people talk about, in my mind anyway, comes
from the drone targets, the War Machine kicker and the orbits. Of
course having a bash toy in the front center makes it fast too because
you are slamming and returing the ball to yourself like playing
handball. The ramps are long and slow and in many ways, for me,
unsatisfying. They create the effect of waiting. The right ramp does
reject made shots which adds to the frustration too. The left ramp
would feel better if it was a straight return, instead of a
rollercoaster of bumps and turns. Steve Ritchie would have walked
into this layout complete, reformed the ramps and changed the speed
and feel of the game immediately.

There are some interesting things here though and for me Borg's
strength is in his mechanical design. The War Machine kicker feels
fantastic. The Iron Monger is well designed and registers from every
direction. The up post in the back lane simplifies the gate theory
and allows for stops to start effects - a two fold mech that had to
save some money. He gets a lot of bang for his magnet buck too.
Playing it I couldn't help thinking if Steve Ritchie had designed the
layout and Borg had designed the mechanicals it could be mind
blowing. But in one small way Steve is in the game...the left
slingshot has a 2 post top that creates a STTNG flat top sling on a
much smaller scale. Balls to the left lanes were a bitch to control
without having some more practice nudging in that corner and I had to
curse my buddy Steve a little bit. Especially since the Iron Monger
magnet loves going to the left. It feels planned for drains and
shorter ball times and it gets the job done.

Overall though I really think the game, with Lyman at the wheel has a
lot of potential. The sound and lights, the battle feeling of the
layout, and the great theme really work as a pinball game. The code
will finish the story. But it has enough frustrating elements in the
ramps and the magnet death punches that might make this a game that
gets a lot of love/hate traffic. I don't think it is destined for
widespread love like Spider-Man, but I would put it next to my Spider-
man for sure.

Chris

gpsdrew

Apr 19, 2010, 10:54:41 AM4/19/10

Thanks for the reply, but I am not sure I feel any better about
it...actually maybe worse if they know that the right ramp has a
design flaw and don't care about it...
hmmmm.
Drew

Pin Lord

Apr 19, 2010, 12:57:43 PM4/19/10
On Apr 18, 11:17 am, mnpinball <mnpinb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

That was one of the worst reviews I've ever read...no details on why
the game fuckin' ROCKS?

DNO

Apr 19, 2010, 1:11:01 PM4/19/10

There is no "design flaw" with the ramp.
It simply takes a good shot to make the corner. It reminds me of the
mouse hole on Mousin' Around.
Flippers also seem just fine to me, no problems making any of the
shots.
Game is great just as it sits with .91 code, although I haven't seen
Jericho Missile Mayhem, but that could just be me.
I see nothing to whine about from this new Stern.
-DNO-

pingod

Apr 19, 2010, 8:03:52 PM4/19/10
> -DNO-- Hide quoted text -

I got to level 6,Jerico missile yesterday.
Nice dmd shots of missiles going off in the background.
Very cool background music.
I played it at Jay Richardson Pinball in Strathmore,Alberta
The only one in Alberta so far.
My score was 65,000000 Factory settings,outlanes farout.
The code was only 7 something.
Love the game allready,have one on the way.
Dan

Barney

Apr 20, 2010, 3:15:26 AM4/20/10
mnpinball <mnpi...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:cf270611-c10e-40f8-b0f2-
38fca8...@f17g2000vbd.googlegroups.com:

> Coil pulse set to hard.

If it was not set to "hard", would it be a little bit more of a slower
game?

Barney

mnpinball

Apr 21, 2010, 11:39:04 AM4/21/10
On Apr 20, 2:15 am, Barney <Le...@Leica.com> wrote:
> mnpinball <mnpinb...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:cf270611-c10e-40f8-b0f2-
> 38fca8735...@f17g2000vbd.googlegroups.com:

> >  Coil pulse set to hard.
>
> If it was not set to "hard", would it be a little bit more of a slower
> game?
>
> Barney

For the heck of it I changed it back to "normal" I really didn't
notice a change.
I'm hitting these ramps ok and making the shots. It's a matter of
skill and timing to make good shots on the right ramp and not arguing
that. Design flaw ??? Maybe this is how it was designed and meant to
challenge you. I don't know.
FWIW the stock coil numbers for left flipper are 22-1080 4.55ohm and
right flipper 23-1100 5.3ohm. The left coil is larger.

d rock

Apr 21, 2010, 12:23:14 PM4/21/10

Jason,
How are you liking it; now that you have had it for a few days?
thx
derek

chuck

Apr 21, 2010, 12:29:57 PM4/21/10

I think he meant sporadic

mnpinball

Apr 21, 2010, 12:41:47 PM4/21/10
> derek- Hide quoted text -

Really like it. I have it set up hard and left the outlanes open from
factory. It's difficult to get everything lit but I did get the Do or
Die mode the other day. It's not Spidey code comparable but it's very
fun. So far I have 165+ plays on it.

mnpinball

Apr 24, 2010, 10:07:28 PM4/24/10
Been playing the crap out of this game. Updated with v1.0 then just
recently to v1.1 and the game is kicking my ass.

I had about 165 plays on v.91 and have about 80 plays on the new code
and I have to say it's really tough. It's had some serious changes to
the hardness level.

You have to get all characters lit and held with one ball or you lose
it all on the next ball and have to do it again. It's hard !! My best
is about 44M so far.

To give you perspective of the modes compared to Spidey:
Lite and complete all Mark I-VI suits for Jericho Missle Mayhem mode =
Battle Royale in Spidey (mini wiz mode)
Lite and complete all Characters starts Do or Die mode = Super Hero in
Spidey.

War Machine MB has a cool add a ball feature like Spidey Sense.

I actually backhanded the right flipper and made the right ramp which
amazed me.

Checked my audits and most all games are within the realm of 3 to 6
minutes.

If Stern can get any operator to buy this machine or win back some of
the disgruntled ops they will win them over with this game as I see
this making some serious ca$h box ! The game rocks, the theme rocks,
the music rocks, and this is by far John Borg's best layout in his
library of games he has created. Nice open PF and easy to maintain.
One moving mechanical toy that is VERY durable and has no problem
registering hits at all angles.

Way to go Stern and crew.

Iron Man is no Spidey but it's a fantastic game and one that goes well
sitting next to Batman and Spidey I like to call "The Triple Threat".
Game is very different and a hit.

Wolfpack

Apr 24, 2010, 10:56:17 PM4/24/10
My new Iron Man was delivered yesterday and I updated the 1.1 code
this evening (it arrived with 1.0). The game absolutely rocks. The
shots are great, the modes are great, and the audito is amazing. I
can only imagine what the shaker motor will add. I may go athead and
pull the shaker out of my BDK and add it to my IM and just reinstall
my new shaker in BDK whenever it comes in.

I have to give it up to Stern, This is a great pin and it fits
perfectly alongside my SM and BDK.