Trade HUO LOTR for very nice TOTAN?

Dudleydoright190

Jun 18, 2012, 1:04:33 PM6/18/12
I'm considering trading my HUO LOTR for what appears to be a very nice
TOTAN (I'm going to see the machine in person this afternoon).

My LOTR is HUO, I'm the 2nd owner. In my opinion, the playfield is
near mint (9.5). I put in v.10 roms, backbox eye LED, Arwin plastic
protector, Shire wood rail protector, cliffys, Shire and Gilimi
plastic protectors, etc. The biggest knock on my machine is the
cabinet. It does have minor wear on the left "Blue" side near the
flipper button. It also has a few dings along the very bottom gold
edge. I would say the cabinet is 8.5 out of ten.

From a purely monitary standpoint, I wanted to get some opinions on
the trade.

As always, I appreciate the feedback from the group.

Thanks!

J B

Jun 18, 2012, 2:18:24 PM6/18/12
Do it, no brainer on financial side of things..

cardfelon

Jun 18, 2012, 2:37:22 PM6/18/12

I know the TOTAN that you are going to look at. I wouldn't do it but
it's up to you.

--
cardfelon
This USENET post sent from http://rgparchive.com

Pinball Plus

Jun 18, 2012, 2:59:33 PM6/18/12
i wou
i wouldnt do it . Totan gets boring fast . Always seems to have issues with magnets etc. LOTR is much better.

Victor Clover Jr

Jun 18, 2012, 3:19:18 PM6/18/12
ToTAN may be a simple Pin, but its fun to play and can get your
money and some, of course depending on condition.
I had one for 2 years. great Pin for the whole family and guest.

Regards,

big_daddy

Jun 18, 2012, 3:23:35 PM6/18/12
On Monday, June 18, 2012 12:04:33 PM UTC-5, Dudleydoright190 wrote:
I owned a HUO LOTR and have a TOTAN as well. The LOTR has been sold while the TOTAN remains.

TOTAN seems to be getting very difficult to find as well, while you can easily find LOTR in HUO condition.

metallik

Jun 18, 2012, 5:01:18 PM6/18/12
> I owned a HUO LOTR and have a TOTAN as well.   The LOTR has been sold while the TOTAN remains.
>
> TOTAN seems to be getting very difficult to find as well, while you can easily find LOTR in HUO condition.

Opposite here.. had a beautiful TOTAN from 1999 to 2003, sold it, and
haven't had even the slightest urge to *play* one, let alone buy
another one. Meanwhile I still have my HUO LOTR. I don't understand
the love that TOTAN is getting lately.. it's a horribly simplistic and
boring game. 7 modes that are absolutely worthless scoring-wise (4
can be finished in 2 shots, the others can be wished away, and all 7
of them together are worth less than 1M points), an incredibly
simplistic main multiball (genie, loop, genie, loop, yawn, genie,
loop...), and another Jpop flailfest wizard mode. Oh, and the Harem
exploit. There is no way on God's green earth I'd trade an exciting
game like LOTR for a snorefest such as TOTAN, but do what you want...

skippy church

Jun 18, 2012, 5:55:32 PM6/18/12

I played TOTAN for the first time at MGE, and was absolutely mesmerized
by the game. I thought it was awesome as hell. Granted, I really didn't
understand what was going on. I'm sure that if I had, it would have
gotten a lot more dull.

--
skippy church

metallik

Jun 18, 2012, 6:42:06 PM6/18/12
Can be summarized in a paragraph:

Start game. Hit genie to start mode. Shoot lit yellow shot plus ramp
to complete mode. A couple modes need more than one yellow shot
before the ramp. Once all 7 are done, play through a 2-stage wizard
mode (single ball against skeletons - hit those yellow shots again,
then multiball flailfest - just hit switches til you win). Multiball
- shoot Genie 5 times to light locks. Shoot loop 3 times to lock 3
balls and start multiball. Hit Genie for 1M. Hit loop to relight
Genie. Repeat til back to one ball. Harem: shoot left orbit when
harem is lit (which isn't often due to single-threaded left lane
having only one award lit at any particular time). Repeat 5 times for
2-ball switchfest multiball. Bazaar scoop - random award. Lamp: -
this is worth more than anything except harem exploit. Spin lamp to
build bonus. Shoot captive balls to advance multiplier. 15 spins
starts lightning lamp feature - 8 second timer reset with any spin.
Start 3X lamp from bazaar stacked with lightning lamp for big points.

That's all folks!

Victor Clover Jr

Jun 18, 2012, 6:43:05 PM6/18/12
LOTR & ToTAN are 2 totally different beast all together. Don't think
many would dispute the simplicity of ToTAN, but
the enjoyment factor, plus resell, make it a good buy. I am
surprise by your comments since you had a ToTAN for 4 years.
I guess any Pin could seem boring after awhile, but for those just
getting around to own or play a ToTAN, I say do it, but
don't get upside down on one either.

Regards,

Mr. 68

Jun 18, 2012, 7:43:02 PM6/18/12
On Jun 18, 4:42 pm, metallik <metal...@fuse.net> wrote:
> Can be summarized in a paragraph:

Come on Larry, you could have broken the up into at least three
paragraphs. : )

I have both games. Tales of the Arabian Nights I have had longer
between the two and it remains a strong keeper in my collection. And I
have friends lined up wanting to buy it.

Lord of the Rings I am so over and its next to be sold.

Victor Clover Jr. nailed it especially the fun factor.

Kim
http://www.WrongCrowdProductions.com/
http://tinyurl.com/7q8q856
CARGPB #36

jimjim66

Jun 18, 2012, 8:51:46 PM6/18/12
On Jun 18, 10:04 am, Dudleydoright190 <dudleydoright...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Just from the aspect of money- TOTAN > LOTR

Unless the TOTAN is really in super bad shape. I would estimate an
average TOTAN is worth 10%- 15% more in value. I would say an average
machine is something you don't have to dump a lot of money into to run
and only has some wear cosmetically.

metallik

Jun 18, 2012, 9:53:11 PM6/18/12
> Come on Larry, you could have broken the up into at least three
> paragraphs. : )
>
> I have both games. Tales of the Arabian Nights I have had longer
> between the two and it remains a strong keeper in my collection. And I
> have friends lined up wanting to buy it.
>
> Lord of the Rings I am so over and its next to be sold.

Haha yea that was quite a run-on paragraph. I know TOTAN has its
fans, they're quite vociferous at times :)

I enjoyed it while I had it, but I also had MM, TZ and AFM among
others next to it, so it didn't get much play and its turdliness took
a while to be exposed. After a while, I realized that I was only
playing TOTAN to listen to the cool music and see the lightshow. I'd
long since stopped trying for high scores, as doing so required
playing in such a bastardized fashion as to be completely un-fun.
When I needed money for a house, out the door it went without a second
thought.

Now, you want to talk about being over a game... I'd play just about
*any* other game manufactured since 1980 before I would TOTAN. Every
other game I've owned and sold, I'd happily play again - even VND -
but I have no such desire for this game. Except to maybe hear the
first part of the wizard mode's music... :D

eagle68

Jun 18, 2012, 10:13:23 PM6/18/12
On Jun 18, 5:01 pm, metallik <metal...@fuse.net> wrote:
Don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel. I think the theme
and artwork make it collectible, but game play and ruleset are not the
greatest. I thought the making of this machine was an attempt to make
a simple pinball machine with easy rules and lure kids away from video
games back to pinball. Anybody heard that as well?

George Hali

Jun 18, 2012, 10:23:15 PM6/18/12
Do it. Totan is more fun.

George

Jesse Wilson

Jun 19, 2012, 4:17:38 AM6/19/12
I had a TOTAN because I was quite impressed with how it looked and
played at our local pinball joint. It lasted less then a year because it
got extremely repetitive and while it was very pretty it just didn't do
it for me after a while. Now the pin that I got with the proceeds, SM is
still going strong and probably my favorite still.

Jesse