shipping boards in bubble wrap?

Pinball Plus

Feb 14, 2010, 12:03:31 PM2/14/10
Just got an angry buyer on ebay saying I shoudve known better thsn to
send him wrapped in bubble wrap. I've never had a complaint before
since selling stsrted in 98 fo me. Can bubble wrap damage boards?
Thanks in advance. Jr

pinballnut

Feb 14, 2010, 12:08:07 PM2/14/10
Never heard of such a thing. Styro wouldn't work well IMHO, so what's
left?

Brad

Pinball Plus

Feb 14, 2010, 12:10:00 PM2/14/10

mnpinball

Feb 14, 2010, 12:15:02 PM2/14/10

Never heard of this, I have shipped and received boards in bubble wrap
with no problems. Does he want them shipped in anti-static bags
maybe ??

Gott Lieb?

Feb 14, 2010, 12:17:36 PM2/14/10
In a word, yes, there is the chance of damage. Unless you use anti-
static products, there's no guarantees. There is red / pink anti-
static bubble wrap out there, but I don't know how effective it is. I
always ship boards in the silver / gray anti-static bags to be
certain.

And for the record, I just received some boards wrapped in styrofoam
wrap and packed with shrinkwrap balled up. Needless to say, I'm not
too happy with the seller. The seller could have at least used the
poor man's anti-static wrap, Reynold's Wrap (aluminum foil), or
wrapped it in newspaper.

Jim

cpu.slave

Feb 14, 2010, 12:17:59 PM2/14/10
On Feb 14, 11:10 am, Pinball Plus <pinballp...@gmail.com> wrote:

I've received boards wrapped in bubble wrap, never had a problem.
I've also gotten in anti-static bags but it's usually reflected in the
higher then norm shipping costs.

Perhaps this guy is upset because you didn't send him the necessary
styro peanuts needed to complete his time machine that also turns lead
to gold?

erickit

Feb 14, 2010, 12:20:53 PM2/14/10

You need to protect the board from static, anti static bag or foil
first then the bubble wrap is fine.
All the new boards I have recieved from retailers come in a AS bag and
bubble wrap.
I always touch ground before I put my hands near a board, you don't
want to pass static electricity through one.

Eric

crank

Feb 14, 2010, 12:21:44 PM2/14/10

Hey Duane, did you stay up too late last night?

freeplayer

Feb 14, 2010, 12:24:32 PM2/14/10
> > Thanks in advance. Jr- Hide quoted text -

Pink Bubble wrap anti static, made to protect board component from
damage caused by static electricity. The regular clear bubble wrap is
not meant for shipping circuit or computer boards. Staples list them
seperately. I have always received my boards sent out for repair
wrapped in the pink bubble or pink styro anti static material.

Gott Lieb?

Feb 14, 2010, 12:24:40 PM2/14/10
I should add that I have received boards in plain bubble wrap, and
typically expect most shipments to be this way anymore. However, if I
bought a "100% guaranteed working board", (not saying that's what you
were offering), I would expect it to be in an anti-static bag.

Jim

freeplayer

Feb 14, 2010, 12:36:27 PM2/14/10
> > Thanks in advance. Jr- Hide quoted text -

I should add that boards are usually placed inside a sturdy tinted
anti static tinted bag. The pink stuff is the outer cushion material
which is also anti static. I believe it's also okay to just use the
static bag and then regualr styro peanuts to fill the rest of the box,
but anything coming in direct contact with the boards needs to be
static free. You know the old rub your shoe back and forth on the
carpet and the touch someone on the ear trick. Static Jolt.

John Wart, jr

Feb 14, 2010, 12:36:34 PM2/14/10
On Feb 14, 12:03 pm, Pinball Plus <pinballp...@gmail.com> wrote:

I use anti-static bags and the pink anti static bags. I also try to
use pink or green anti static peanuts.

ESD doesn't always show up immediately.

JeffB418

Feb 14, 2010, 12:37:24 PM2/14/10
Yeah boards should be in an ESD safe bag at-least, then bubble wrap
around that. Or get bubble bags that are ESD safe. ESD damage to a
board isn't always noticeable for example a board that wont boot. ESD
damage can actually shorten the life of board components and cause
them to fail 1 year down the road instead of 20 years. We use these
all the time at work, http://www.uline.com/bl_7651/Anti-Static-Bubble-Bags
. The cheaper way to go are these http://www.uline.com/BL_51/Static-Shielding-Bags-Open-End
.

Jeff B

Rick Swanson

Feb 14, 2010, 1:55:21 PM2/14/10
On Feb 14, 12:36 pm, "John Wart, jr" <johnwar...@johnwartjr.com>
wrote:

> I use anti-static bags and the pink anti static bags. I also try to
> use pink or green anti static peanuts.
>
> ESD doesn't always show up immediately.

I had someone who I think to be knowledgeable on the subject tell me
to first wrap the boards in brown kraft paper and then put regular
bubble wrap around the kraft paper. I've followed that advice, but
now wonder if the guy was feeding me BS.

Rick Swanson
cargpb6

JeffB418

Feb 14, 2010, 2:23:55 PM2/14/10

Yeah paper is not in anyway an ESD safe material, sorry to say.

Jeff B

fordiesel69

Feb 14, 2010, 2:39:46 PM2/14/10
Bubble wrap is bad.....

Use the silver anti static bags and then bubble wrap.

Pinaddict

Feb 14, 2010, 2:47:17 PM2/14/10
I'm always amazed that people (in general) touch and handle PCB's
without ground themselves first!! It's a fact - Just by touching the
board can cause discharge even if you don't feel it. It will cause
damage to the components-if not right away could be up to several
years before damage is seen (latency damage). I for one would be upset
if i received a board without ESD protecting it ( 100% tested or
not).

martin

Feb 14, 2010, 3:56:10 PM2/14/10

Once a board is assembled, the parts are a whole lot less sensitive to
static damage than bare parts. But using bubble wrap is inviting
trouble. You are pretty much guaranteed to cause static damage on the
board. That damage will show within a few days to a few years of use.

And this is not the snap and crackle kind of static that we get in dry
weather. This is the kind of static that you cannot feel. Just the
static cling you feel is sufficient to damage sensitive parts.

So unfortunately, your buyer is justifiably upset with your shipping. N

Fred Kemper

Feb 14, 2010, 4:44:29 PM2/14/10
If it's not pink or green, then yes it is quite possible.

Static electricity can, and does damage components.
The damage might not be realized right away. (They can
fail later.)

Place boards in antistatic bags or use antistatic bubble
wrap FIRST.

--
Fred
TX

"Pinball Plus" <pinba...@gmail.com> wrote

BUY...@aol.com

Feb 14, 2010, 4:52:23 PM2/14/10
On Feb 14, 4:44�pm, "Fred Kemper" <pbgar...@davlin.net> wrote:
> If it's not �pink or green, then yes it is quite possible.
>
> �Static electricity can, and does damage components.
> The damage might not be realized right away. (They can
> fail later.)
>
> �Place boards in antistatic bags or use antistatic bubble
> wrap FIRST.
>
> --
> Fred
> TX
> CARGPB#8
> ******************
>
> "Pinball Plus" <pinballp...@gmail.com> wrote

> > Just got an angry buyer on ebay saying I shoudve known better thsn to
> > send him wrapped in bubble wrap. I've never had a complaint before
> > since selling stsrted in 98 fo me. Can bubble wrap damage boards?
> > Thanks in advance. Jr- Hide quoted text -

next time try blue freddy

GPE

Feb 14, 2010, 5:03:11 PM2/14/10

"Pinball Plus" <pinba...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Actually, yes, it can. It depends on the type of bubble wrap. The clear
stuff is one of the biggest static generators out there (right along side
them stinking white peanuts.

The pink (sometimes green) bubble wrap is non-static generating. It is also
not static shielding. So it won't generate a static charge but won't stop
one either.

Best way to ship boards - static shielding bags.

Ed