Google グループは Usenet の新規の投稿と購読のサポートを終了しました。過去のコンテンツは引き続き閲覧できます。

WOT: RIP Smokin Joe

閲覧: 6 回
最初の未読メッセージにスキップ

Pin Del

未読、
2011/11/08 10:55:242011/11/08
To:
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/7206261/joe-frazier-former-heavyweight-champion-dead-67
.

Some of you Kids might not know who Smoking Joe is, ButBack when
Boxing was worth watching
he was one of the best !

Pin-Del,
cargpb28

ldnayman

未読、
2011/11/08 11:15:432011/11/08
To:
On Nov 8, 10:55 am, Pin Del <delmail...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/7206261/joe-frazier-former-heavy...
> .
>
> Some of you Kids might not know who Smoking Joe is, ButBack when
> Boxing was worth watching
> he was one of the best !
>
> Pin-Del,
> cargpb28

Before my time but of course I know who Smokin' Joe Frazier was.

Ali-Frazier I and III are two of the greatest fights ever. The first
one might be the greatest sporting event in history. Demand was so
tight that even Frank Sinatra couldn't get a ticket...he finally got
in by using a Life magazine photo pass (he took the picture that ended
up on their cover).

Pretty surprised that Ali outlived him...he would have hated that, as
he hated Ali's guts right up till the end.

32-4...he lost twice to Foreman and twice to Ali. Great fighter from
an era we'll never see again.

Terrapin Mark

未読、
2011/11/08 11:56:452011/11/08
To:
The Thrilla in Manilla!

I remember some of those fights as a very little kid. My dad was a
huge boxing fan. I went to a Sugar Ray Leonard championship fight back
in the day (4th round knock out of Davey "Boy" Green) RIP Joe!

Mark Salas
CARGPB 30

Pin Del

未読、
2011/11/08 11:33:422011/11/08
To:
Good one Levi,
Best part about back then was there was no Pay Per View & anyone who
had a TV could watch these fights ( which my whole family watched
together ) & I agree, Ali / Frazier 1 & 3 were about the best boxing
matchs I ever watched & you all but knew it was going to be a 15 round
fight,, Really good stuff !

Pin-Del,

Terrapin Mark

未読、
2011/11/08 12:03:312011/11/08
To:
Del,

More importantly what does Eddie Murphy (all of them) think the best
boxer was? (some cussing if you are at work.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWvDao-MpOk

Mark

Pinballed

未読、
2011/11/08 12:07:122011/11/08
To:
Smokin Joe Frasier and Ali fights were at the pinnicle of boxing. That
was a golden era of heavyweight boxing for me. Boxing in general just
seemed more real back then. And, sure it was probably crooked but
those were the days when the boxers decided the outcome...not some
judge with an agenda. <Man, how some boxing judges in the later eras
didnt get killed on the way outta the ring I'll never know. I was a
huge Ali fan back then but later I came to really appreciate Smokin
Joe . In fact, I prefered his demeanor in the ring and out of the
ring. A true boxing legend and a great and honourable champion. They
dont make em like that anymore.

ldnayman

未読、
2011/11/08 12:31:452011/11/08
To:
> Pin-Del,- Hide quoted text -

Is that true? They didn't show fights like Ali-Frazier live on free TV
did they?

I was under the impression you had to buy a ticket and watch it on
closed circuit in a movie theater or stadium. In fact in Detroit or
some other urban hellhole, the projector broke for Ali-Frazier 1 and
there was a riot.

rly...@carolina.rr.com

未読、
2011/11/08 12:42:342011/11/08

Joe Frazier was the man. Sad to hear about this, but at least it wasn't
long and drawn out. He only found he had liver cancer last month.
Pound for pound one of the toughest fighters ever.

--
RLy...@carolina.rr.com
This USENET post sent from http://rgparchive.com

Terrapin Mark

未読、
2011/11/08 12:33:492011/11/08
To:
On Nov 8, 12:31 pm, ldnayman <ldnay...@aol.com> wrote:

> Is that true? They didn't show fights like Ali-Frazier live on free TV
> did they?
>
> I was under the impression you had to buy a ticket and watch it on
> closed circuit in a movie theater or stadium. In fact in Detroit or
> some other urban hellhole, the projector broke for Ali-Frazier 1 and
> there was a riot.

Nope! They were on TV. Watched on a black and white Magnavox with my
Dad! Later on all of the good fights were on closed circuit but not
these!

Mark

MrBally

未読、
2011/11/08 13:22:282011/11/08
To:
On Nov 8, 12:07 pm, Pinballed <probass...@live.ca> wrote:

<<< They dont make em like that anymore.>>>

Leon Spinks... LLLLMFAO!

Seriously though, I just read that the 2nd slimiest scumbag boxing
promoter of all time (Bob Arum) was a US attorney. Pretty impressive.

メッセージは削除されました

ldnayman

未読、
2011/11/08 13:10:102011/11/08
To:
Not like we need anything else to argue about, but I'm pretty sure
what you were watching were network TV replays a week or a month after
the big fight was shown live on closed circuit. Wide World of Sports
or what have you would buy the rights to show the fight, after it had
been sold in arenas and movie theaters closed circuit.

Too much money to be made on something like the Fight of the Century
to show it for free on TV.

John Inc

未読、
2011/11/08 13:55:372011/11/08
To:
ldnayman <ldna...@aol.com> wrote in news:6fef7337-fd18-4674-a6de-
a32409...@e2g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

> Not like we need anything else to argue about, but I'm pretty sure
> what you were watching were network TV replays a week or a month after
> the big fight was shown live on closed circuit. Wide World of Sports
> or what have you would buy the rights to show the fight, after it had
> been sold in arenas and movie theaters closed circuit.
>
> Too much money to be made on something like the Fight of the Century
> to show it for free on TV.

Not only that, but the fight wasn't even on radio. I remember waiting
for the recaps after every round.
--
John

Terrapin Mark

未読、
2011/11/08 14:02:522011/11/08
To:
On Nov 8, 1:10 pm, ldnayman <ldnay...@aol.com> wrote:

> Not like we need anything else to argue about, but I'm pretty sure
> what you were watching were network TV replays a week or a month after
> the big fight was shown live on closed circuit. Wide World of Sports
> or what have you would buy the rights to show the fight, after it had
> been sold in arenas and movie theaters closed circuit.

You are correct. Actually I am sure you are. I recall seeing them
fight on regular TV (just not against each other). Nowadays none of
the top named boxers (Pac man etc) are ever shown on regular TV. I do
recall an Ali vs. Wepner or Ali vs. Quarry fight on TV.

...and what is there to argue you about? You are always right (in a
non political sense) and I am always wrong :)

Mark

ldnayman

未読、
2011/11/08 14:08:032011/11/08
To:
On Nov 8, 2:02 pm, Terrapin Mark <terrapinm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...and what is there to argue you about? You are always right (in a
> non political sense) and I am always wrong :)
>
> Mark

Not true.

I predicted a 7-9 season out of the Redskins. Not sure they'll win
another one all year.

Terrapin Mark

未読、
2011/11/08 14:11:472011/11/08
To:
On Nov 8, 2:08 pm, ldnayman <ldnay...@aol.com> wrote:

> I predicted a 7-9 season out of the Redskins. Not sure they'll win
> another one all year.

When the Skins were 3-1 I posted on Facebook asking who the idiot on
ESPN was that said during the preseason that they would go 3-13.
Looking at the schedule the teams that they can win against (Seattle
and Miami) are both road games so all bets are off. Seriously looking
at the schedule I am not sure they win more than 4.

I have them beating Minnesota for a 4th win but not much else. Hey
atleast we have "misery" in common!

Mark Salas
CARGPB 30

ldnayman

未読、
2011/11/08 14:23:082011/11/08
To:
Well, here's to the best QB not named Andrew Luck in training camp
next summer!

Pin Del

未読、
2011/11/08 14:29:512011/11/08
To:
I think Levi's right to , Most likely we were watching it a few weeks
after the fights took place, But the fights we saw on TV seemed as
real to me since I was only 10 or 11 years old & had never seen 2 men
beat the crap out of each other like that .
After that we watched every fight we could get & I even watched Leon
Spinks win a fight over Ali & then losing the Belt to Ali's Sparing
partner ( cain't remember his name,,,, Sorry I have CRS today ) I
think it was Larry Homes who then went on a 40 fight streak before he
was beaten and Like Ali, The damage took it's toll on Homes just like
Ali .

There was another fighter at the time named Norris ( cain't remember
1st name ) who was a heck of a knock-out fighter & he was knocked out
in the 3rd round by Foreman .

Bottom line, Nothing we see today comes close ! .

Pin-Del,

ldnayman

未読、
2011/11/08 14:50:282011/11/08
To:
On Nov 8, 2:29 pm, Pin Del <delmail...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There was another fighter at the time named Norris ( cain't remember
> 1st name ) who was a heck of a knock-out fighter & he was knocked out
> in the 3rd round by Foreman .
>
> Bottom line, Nothing we see today comes close ! .
>
> Pin-Del,- Hide quoted text -

I bet you are thinking of Ken Norton.

And Holmes fought forever...I think until his late 40s...but he's not
in bad shape actually, and he's still rich (real estate).

Pin Del

未読、
2011/11/08 14:57:502011/11/08
To:
Thanks Levi !
It was Ken Norton , I started lifting weights after watching him fight
because I wanted Arm"s like he had, =)

cal50

未読、
2011/11/08 15:45:572011/11/08

One of the legends for sure. Back when the title meant more than just
money and a lot of rounds to get it. Big George, Joe and Ali are what
made the heavyweights fun to watch.

--
cal50

RGP Archive and posting Gateway

ldnayman

未読、
2011/11/08 16:05:122011/11/08
To:
On Nov 8, 3:45 pm, cal50 <jbhar...@oh.rr.com> wrote:
> One of the legends for sure. Back when the title meant more than just
> money and a lot of rounds to get it. Big George, Joe and Ali are what
> made the heavyweights fun to watch.

even the 2nd tier guys were
good...Chuvalo...Quarry...Lyle...Shavers...Norton...Weaver etc.

Terrapin Mark

未読、
2011/11/08 16:16:462011/11/08
To:
On Nov 8, 4:05 pm, ldnayman <ldnay...@aol.com> wrote:

> even the 2nd tier guys were
> good...Chuvalo...Quarry...Lyle...Shavers...Norton...Weaver etc.

Absolutely!! Frazier and Ali were two of the best and kept (IMO) a
very, very good fighter in Jerry Quarry from winning a title. Earnie
Shavers! I remember him.

Levi and Mark agreeing!! I am off to 7-Eleven to play the lottery :)

Mark

新着メール 0 件