Spells that impose emotions

Tetsubo

Aug 4, 2014, 9:17:54 AM8/4/14
There are numerous spells that control a targets thoughts. But are
there any that control the emotions of the target. I'm not talking about
making a target friendly to a caster. I'm talking about a spell that
makes them /happy/. Anything out there?
--
Tetsubo
Deviant Art: http://ironstaff.deviantart.com/

Justisaur

Aug 4, 2014, 11:25:36 AM8/4/14
On Monday, August 4, 2014 6:17:54 AM UTC-7, Tetsubo wrote:
> There are numerous spells that control a targets thoughts. But are
> there any that control the emotions of the target. I'm not talking about
> making a target friendly to a caster. I'm talking about a spell that
> makes them /happy/. Anything out there?

1e 4th level Illusionist spell "Emotion" It only calls out fear, hate, hopelessness, and rage though.

- Justisaur

Nicole Massey

Aug 4, 2014, 12:34:04 PM8/4/14

"Justisaur" <just...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Tasha's Uncontrollable Hideous Laughter, also from first edition, also might
apply to this. And of course charm spells and the right words for a Command
spell might also apply. (Like, for instance, "rejoice!" or "Lament")

Joanna Rowland Stuart

Aug 4, 2014, 4:01:00 PM8/4/14
In article <lro15t$11l$1...@dont-email.me>, tet...@comcast.net (Tetsubo)
wrote:

> *From:* Tetsubo <tet...@comcast.net>
> *Date:* Mon, 04 Aug 2014 09:17:54 -0400
>
> There are numerous spells that control a targets thoughts. But are
> there any that control the emotions of the target. I'm not talking
> about making a target friendly to a caster. I'm talking about a
> spell that makes them /happy/. Anything out there?
Suggestion?
"Relax, you're safe, be happy!"

An action doesn't necessarily have to be physical. You encourage the
target to relax and be happy.

Cheers
JOanna

tussock

Aug 6, 2014, 12:47:52 AM8/6/14
Justisaur wrote:
> Tetsubo wrote:
>> There are numerous spells that control a targets thoughts. But are
>> there any that control the emotions of the target. I'm not talking
>> about making a target friendly to a caster. I'm talking about a spell
>> that makes them /happy/. Anything out there?
>
> 1e 4th level Illusionist spell "Emotion" It only calls out fear, hate,
> hopelessness, and rage though.

3.0 has (Brd 3, Wiz 4) spell "Emotion" also. Options are /Despair/, /
Fear/, /Friendship/, /Hate/, /Hope/, and /Rage/.
/Calm Emotions/ (Clr 2).
/Cause Fear/ (Brd 1, Clr 1, Wiz 1).
/Fear/ (Brd 3, Wiz 4).
/Remove Fear/ (Clr 1).

/Enthrall/ would be thematically appropriate. /Hideous Laughter/
isn't right at all.

3.5 split Emotion into individual spells because ...? Anyway.

/Crushing Despair/ (Brd 3, Wiz 4).
/Good Hope/ (Brd 2, Wiz 3).
/Rage/ (Brd 2, Wiz 3).

Bards also get Calm Emotions and Remove Fear, 3.0 Bards are more
competent instead. Something like /Glibness/ could also be useful.

Pathfinder should have the 3.5 spells. Ooh, spellfinder

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/tools/advanced-spell-search

Hit that up with Descriptor: Emotion. From core it adds Antipathy,
Sympathy, Eyebite, Doom, Scare, Symbol of Fear, and Weird. Should also
have Phantasmal Killer, but they didn't tag it that way.

--
tussock

Tetsubo

Aug 6, 2014, 8:30:14 AM8/6/14