New infinite hill rankings

inversed

Feb 8, 2015, 4:00:56 PM2/8/15
Some time ago I've been messing around with warrior ranking ideas and came up with two different methods. The results along with explanations are now available at http://inversed.ru/CoreWar.htm

Roy van Rijn

Feb 9, 2015, 2:56:10 AM2/9/15
On Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 10:00:56 PM UTC+1, inversed wrote:
> Some time ago I've been messing around with warrior ranking ideas and came up with two different methods. The results along with explanations are now available at http://inversed.ru/CoreWar.htm

Very cool! Both approaches make a lot of sense indeed, especially the sequential push-off, although recalculating that would be nasty each time (unless you cache/store each result and run only once). :-)

The map is also very interesting, Joonas Pihlaja did something similar in 2002 using self-organising maps (http://corewar.co.uk/pihlaja/maps/).

Kiv Ridge

Feb 9, 2015, 12:14:43 PM2/9/15
On Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 2:00:56 PM UTC-7, inversed wrote:
> Some time ago I've been messing around with warrior ranking ideas and came up with two different methods. The results along with explanations are now available at http://inversed.ru/CoreWar.htm

I'd be interested to read more, but the link does not work for me and says the page is unavailable. Could you help me out here?

pauld...@aol.com

Feb 9, 2015, 12:16:19 PM2/9/15
On Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 3:00:56 PM UTC-6, inversed wrote:
> Some time ago I've been messing around with warrior ranking ideas and came up with two different methods. The results along with explanations are now available at http://inversed.ru/CoreWar.htm

Very interesting! I like the map, you can really see the relationships of the warrior groups and those that explore the edges of the groups. I especially like that Torch is right in the middle of the universe :-)

P. Kline

inversed

Feb 9, 2015, 2:49:53 PM2/9/15
On Monday, February 9, 2015 at 8:14:43 PM UTC+3, Kiv Ridge wrote:

> I'd be interested to read more, but the link does not work for me and says the page is unavailable. Could you help me out here?

Maybe there was some server downtime, try again. Does the inversed.ru front page works?

On Monday, February 9, 2015 at 8:16:19 PM UTC+3, pauld...@aol.com wrote:

> Very interesting! I like the map, you can really see the relationships of the warrior groups and those that explore the edges of the groups. I especially like that Torch is right in the middle of the universe :-)

Balanced warriors are located near the center and specialized ones at the periphery. Also note that your anti-scan papers are grouped with paper+stones.

inversed

Skybuck Flying

Feb 9, 2015, 9:24:51 PM2/9/15
Hmm cool your website ! :)

These projects seem interesting:

1.

http://inversed.ru/Ascension.htm

"
Metaheuristic programming: automatic discovery of programs, a generalized
version of genetic programming.
"

What's that ? Can it discover computer programs too ?

2.

http://inversed.ru/AIS.htm

Is this some kind of text/number recognition method/software ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

Feb 9, 2015, 9:29:49 PM2/9/15
This is also very cool:

http://inversed.ru/CoreWar/94nop_MDS.png

To me the white space near the top middle seems like an indication that
there is yet an unknown strategy to be discovered ? ;)

(That could fill up that void or so ;))

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

Feb 9, 2015, 9:31:06 PM2/9/15
Now that I take a look at the legend closer I think I know what that
strategy might be:

A paper + a one shot ! ;)

Bye,
Skybuck.

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message

Skybuck Flying

Feb 9, 2015, 9:32:57 PM2/9/15
Or perhaps:

Paper + Bomber/Clear

Yeah that seems somewhat non-obvious.

Probably a difficult strategy to pull off as well, to try and prevent
self-clearing the own papers.

Or perhaps some other paper strategy can be combined with the clear
strategy.

Ultimately maybe also:

one shot + paper + clear/bomber

Bye,
Skybuck.

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message

Skybuck Flying

Feb 9, 2015, 9:34:46 PM2/9/15
One simple idea could be as follows:

Half the core is paperized. (top?)

Half the core is cleared. (bottom;))

Perhaps such a warrior might survive against certain warriors and tie some
more or maybe even win 50% of the time.

This division/segmentation of the core could be an easy solution to prevent
the paper from getting cleared and vica versa...

Bye,
Skybuck.

inversed

Feb 10, 2015, 3:31:05 PM2/10/15
On Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 5:24:51 AM UTC+3, Skybuck Flying wrote:

> http://inversed.ru/Ascension.htm
> "Metaheuristic programming: automatic discovery of programs, a generalized
> version of genetic programming."
> What's that ? Can it discover computer programs too ?

In Ascension, discovery of computer programs is not at all different from other optimization problems. You may consider it as a general-purpose evolver, except that evolution is not the only option. Anything solvable with genetic algorithm can also be solved with other algorithms. I've already implemented a module for Brainfuck and plan to implement more languages.

> http://inversed.ru/AIS.htm
> Is this some kind of text/number recognition method/software ?

An experimental classification algorithm, works with any classification problems. Text and number recognition are just two examples.