Looping Paper

John Metcalf

Jul 22, 2016, 4:56:03 AM7/22/16

I'm writing a short guide to replicators and wondered if anyone has written an effective single process looping paper? Maybe something like the following:

;redcode-94nop
;name loopy
;author John Metcalf
;stategy single process paper

paper mov #dest+9, #0
add.a #7847, dest
copy mov <paper, {dest
jmn copy, paper
spl paper
dest jmz 4932, *0

Thanks,

John

Stephen Gunnell

Jul 22, 2016, 7:23:23 AM7/22/16
I did write stuff like that in the '88 days. But effective? Not a hope.

Skybuck Flying

Jul 23, 2016, 11:32:11 AM7/23/16
This is not a single process warrior, it spawns new processes ?! ;) :)

Bye,
Skybuck.

Roy van Rijn

Jul 25, 2016, 4:52:22 AM7/25/16
On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 10:56:03 AM UTC+2, John Metcalf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing a short guide to replicators and wondered if anyone has written an effective single process looping paper?

I've submitted this warrior to a tournament you've hosted once. Because it bombs a lot it is mostly made to be LP, producing about 25-30 live copies at most at any given time.

;redcode-94nop quiet
;name Noqua
;author Roy van Rijn
;strategy LP paper
;assert 1

pLen equ 9

lStep equ 5244
pStep equ 5024
bOff equ 4031
bStep equ 1550

pPtr spl pStep , pLen
add.f pBomb , pPtr
pLoop mov pBomb , @1
mov pBomb , *bOff
add.ab #bStep , -1
mov <pPtr , {pPtr
jmn pLoop , *pPtr
jmz.b pPtr , }pPtr
pBomb dat >lStep+pLen , }pLen

end pLoop

Not very effective, scores 94 points against the current hill (just the paper, no qscanning etc).

pauld...@aol.com

Jul 26, 2016, 8:25:29 AM7/26/16
As a pure replicator single-process can't compete. Copying 6 lines takes 12 instructions, during which time any spl-wiped copies will have executed 12 splits creating 2^12 timewasters.

You'd need strong stone support, maybe treat the mice as satellites, or go 'Sneaky' :-)

Paul

John Metcalf

Jul 28, 2016, 8:36:51 AM7/28/16
The most effective looping paper I can find is Digital Rain by
inversed which scores 101 against 94nop:

https://users.obs.carnegiescience.edu/birk/COREWAR/LP/HILL/digitalrain.red

Without bombing the score lurks around 65. Here's the best I
could come up with:

;redcode-94nop
;name LoopyX
;author John Metcalf
;strategy looping paper
;assert CORESIZE==8000

paper mov #49, #0
copy mov <paper, {dest
jmn copy, paper
spl >paper, {-1277
dest jmz 5620, *0

;redcode-94nop
;name LoopyDJN
;author John Metcalf
;strategy looping paper
;assert CORESIZE==8000

paper mov.i #49, -1
copy mov *paper-1, {dest
djn.a copy, paper-1
spl paper-1, {-1277
dest djn.f 5620, {0

Skybuck Flying

Jul 30, 2016, 9:43:30 PM7/30/16
Perhaps try some brute forcer or evolver or something ? Seems small enough !
;)

Bye,
Skybuck :)