I Went Hunting And Didn't Die.

Kerry Jane

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98
And I'm so pleased about it that I decided to make it the title of my post.
:)

I met Hearding... on the bridge out of Britania (sounds like a movie),
because he was going to be nice and give me some feathers. I had no
feathers. I kept buying the provisioners out of them... bowyers too...
anybody, really... because I need them. Badly.

We stood and talked for a while. I asked Dumb Newbie questions. I
complained that I wasn't doing very well in fighting monsters. He said
that he would take me out hunting in a while. I said okay. I told Davian
that I was going to be getting some combat tips from an Oldbie if he wanted
to come. He said okay... so I told him to meet us at the bridge. When we
met there... William Abayra came by, and agreed to join us. Octavian,
another newbie (only three hours old!), came too.

As Hearding said, we were officially a mob.

We went to Yew. Then we walked east. We killed anything that moved. We
even killed a Reaper. That was pretty exciting. I heard there was logs in
the corpse. Woowoo. It cursed Davian and I... and killed Octavian. I got
to spirit speak with an actual spirit! He said: "Being dead sucks." I
said, "Yes, it does." William Abayra said, "What is he saying?" I said,
"He said, 'Being Dead Sucks.'" William laughed.

We walked back to the Yew bank to find a healer for Octavian. Somebody
(didn't catch their name) resurrected him on the spot. It was pretty
amazing. We stood around at the bank for a while... talking... me asking
more Dumb Newbie questions. We stood at the bank for so long that I
actually got to organize my bank box. *That* never happens in Britain! A
pack for armor . . . a pack for sewing stuff & hides that are too heavy . .
. a pack for misc items that I find that are neat . . . all color coded.
Gray is for armor, since metal is gray (well, not my leather stuff... but
theoretically)... Green is for sewing stuff, since it makes me money... red
is for archery supplies, since they make things bloody. :>

While standing around... talking and asking questions, I asked where all
the birds went, because I was having a terrible time finding feathers.
"You can sometimes find them on the docks." Oooh. Good idea. I think
I'll do a little fishing later. Then a guy dressed in purple says, "You
need feathers?" I said, "Yes. I usually end up with a zillion shafts
because I don't have enough feathers to make arrows." He says, "I will
either sell you the feathers or trade some shafts for them." I said, "I
don't have anything to trade except a Green Fancy Shirt." I didn't suppose
he wanted that. He said, "Are you new?" I told him I was. He gave me
some of his feathers.

There are some good things to being new. People like to help. One of
them's name is Eedwick.

He also gave me some bone armor. I hid while I tried it on. I came out of
hiding to show them what I looked like. Davian and Hearding had their
little chuckles. I said, "I look like a maniac!" Hearding said, "You look
like a PK." I said, "I can't wear this helm. It's way too scary!" I
couldn't wear all that armor anyway.. because the minute I walked
anywhere... it said I couldn't move. I put the Scary Armor away and got
back into my trusty studded leather.

William Abayra was fighting a guy named Ol Dirty. I watched my very first
pvp fight. I didn't really get it. Then Ol Dirty went away somehow.

Octavian called it a night (I think he was a little depressed about getting
killed, but we reassured him. I tried to tell him about my run-in with the
Big Thing the other night. I said, "At least you got your stuff back."
And Hearding says, "Look at it this way - free robe!" Hahahahaa...

We killed a harpy. I was so exited I could hardly stand it. While killing
it, I said, "Free Feathers! Wheee!"

Although we lost Octavian, we picked up William's friend Drasten, and
Eedwick decided to come too. Now we were *really* a mob. We fought things
and killed things and automatically got healed without even having to ask
for it and asked questions and got them answered. It was wonderful. Then
one by one... they went away... until we were left with Davian, Eedwick,
and me.

Eedwick gated us back to Yew... and davian and I found our own way to the
moongate. Back in Britain, and then . . .

Connection Lost.

I warped back into the wilderness. Eedgwick said he'd be right there... I
said don't bother... that by now I am a Grandmaster Runner and I can find
my way to the moongate by myself. And so I did. :) Good part: I didn't
get attacked on the way to the moongate. Bad part: We warped back to
before killing the harpy. There went my feathers. :(

It's much more fun to play with people who know what they're doing.

After seeing Eedwick cast it... I decided to learn Heal. Could come in
handy, no?

I now have enough feathers to last me a few days, I think.

I killed a wolf by myself. :)

I'm still missing more than I'm hitting with my stupid bow.

I feel like I know a little more about what I'm doing. That's a good
thing.

Oh... and in all my excitement about killing and being killed... I forgot
to tell you. If you are ever in Skara Brae... on Lake Superior... and you
see a dog named Buster... be nice to him, please... cause he was mine
once. :)

Janey the Newbie, GM Runner
kjd (at) nwlink (dot) com
Remove the 4 to reply via e-mail

Flynndaeyl (LS)

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98
The Yew area is great on LS for both hunting and for finding roleplayers and
other folk to adventure with. I have been playing a little while, and just
started a new character on LS in Yew. If you run into Flynndaeyl the
Aspiring Bowyer and Archer I am certain he will go hunting, and bring some
friends as well. S of Yew is a small ruins area, and just S of there is a
great spot for hunting with just a hint of creature spawn, though nothing
too dangerous to handle. Great for tailors as the area yields lots of hides
(Bulls and Cows aplenty). It is also not too far from Yew guarded
territory.
Good luck out there.

Kerry Jane <4k...@nwlink.com> wrote in message
<71nc1o$e22$1...@texas.nwlink.com>...

>And I'm so pleased about it that I decided to make it the title of my post.
>:)

Hearding

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98
Kerry Jane wrote:

> And I'm so pleased about it that I decided to make it the title of my post.
> :)
>
> I met Hearding... on the bridge out of Britania (sounds like a movie),
> because he was going to be nice and give me some feathers. I had no
> feathers. I kept buying the provisioners out of them... bowyers too...
> anybody, really... because I need them. Badly.
>
> We stood and talked for a while. I asked Dumb Newbie questions. I
> complained that I wasn't doing very well in fighting monsters. He said
> that he would take me out hunting in a while. I said okay. I told Davian
> that I was going to be getting some combat tips from an Oldbie if he wanted
> to come. He said okay... so I told him to meet us at the bridge. When we
> met there... William Abayra came by, and agreed to join us. Octavian,
> another newbie (only three hours old!), came too.
>
> As Hearding said, we were officially a mob.
>
> We went to Yew. Then we walked east. We killed anything that moved. We
> even killed a Reaper. That was pretty exciting. I heard there was logs in
> the corpse. Woowoo. It cursed Davian and I... and killed Octavian. I got
> to spirit speak with an actual spirit! He said: "Being dead sucks." I
> said, "Yes, it does." William Abayra said, "What is he saying?" I said,
> "He said, 'Being Dead Sucks.'" William laughed.

Actually Octavian was killed by the corpser we fought right after the
Reaper. Here's a hint for everyone else out there planning on escorting
new players. Make sure that at least one of the escorters can cast
Greater Heal. William Aybara is not a mage and I haven't started
practicing magery yet.

> We walked back to the Yew bank to find a healer for Octavian. Somebody
> (didn't catch their name) resurrected him on the spot. It was pretty

Tegan or Grifter. They were both trying.

> amazing. We stood around at the bank for a while... talking... me asking
> more Dumb Newbie questions. We stood at the bank for so long that I
> actually got to organize my bank box. *That* never happens in Britain! A
> pack for armor . . . a pack for sewing stuff & hides that are too heavy . .
> . a pack for misc items that I find that are neat . . . all color coded.
> Gray is for armor, since metal is gray (well, not my leather stuff... but
> theoretically)... Green is for sewing stuff, since it makes me money... red
> is for archery supplies, since they make things bloody. :>
>
> While standing around... talking and asking questions, I asked where all
> the birds went, because I was having a terrible time finding feathers.
> "You can sometimes find them on the docks." Oooh. Good idea. I think
> I'll do a little fishing later. Then a guy dressed in purple says, "You
> need feathers?" I said, "Yes. I usually end up with a zillion shafts
> because I don't have enough feathers to make arrows." He says, "I will
> either sell you the feathers or trade some shafts for them." I said, "I
> don't have anything to trade except a Green Fancy Shirt." I didn't suppose
> he wanted that. He said, "Are you new?" I told him I was. He gave me
> some of his feathers.

Nobody seems to want your green fancy shirt do they? Maybe a different
color would work better :)

> There are some good things to being new. People like to help. One of
> them's name is Eedwick.
>
> He also gave me some bone armor. I hid while I tried it on. I came out of
> hiding to show them what I looked like. Davian and Hearding had their
> little chuckles. I said, "I look like a maniac!" Hearding said, "You look
> like a PK." I said, "I can't wear this helm. It's way too scary!" I
> couldn't wear all that armor anyway.. because the minute I walked
> anywhere... it said I couldn't move. I put the Scary Armor away and got
> back into my trusty studded leather.
>
> William Abayra was fighting a guy named Ol Dirty. I watched my very first
> pvp fight. I didn't really get it. Then Ol Dirty went away somehow.

This was very interesting. William said the guy stole from him. And
the next time it happened he was going to attack. I thought to
myself...Oh great I've got 43 strength and William's starting a fight!
Well it happened and William starts pumping bolts into him. I ran up
and tried to whack him with my bardiche but started lagging like crazy.
Ol' Dirty seemed to think I was the better target and fried me with
e-bolts. Luckily Drasten (of TNO) was there healing me as fast as
possible. I crashed twice, but came out of the battle still alive.
Actually the whole thing was kind of pointless because both sides had
healers and finally Ol' Dirty just quit fighting. We continued on our
hunting trip.

> Octavian called it a night (I think he was a little depressed about getting
> killed, but we reassured him. I tried to tell him about my run-in with the
> Big Thing the other night. I said, "At least you got your stuff back."
> And Hearding says, "Look at it this way - free robe!" Hahahahaa...
>
> We killed a harpy. I was so exited I could hardly stand it. While killing
> it, I said, "Free Feathers! Wheee!"

I think I said my farewells before this happened.

> Although we lost Octavian, we picked up William's friend Drasten, and
> Eedwick decided to come too. Now we were *really* a mob. We fought things
> and killed things and automatically got healed without even having to ask
> for it and asked questions and got them answered. It was wonderful. Then
> one by one... they went away... until we were left with Davian, Eedwick,
> and me.
>
> Eedwick gated us back to Yew... and davian and I found our own way to the
> moongate. Back in Britain, and then . . .
>
> Connection Lost.
>
> I warped back into the wilderness. Eedgwick said he'd be right there... I
> said don't bother... that by now I am a Grandmaster Runner and I can find
> my way to the moongate by myself. And so I did. :) Good part: I didn't
> get attacked on the way to the moongate. Bad part: We warped back to
> before killing the harpy. There went my feathers. :(
>
> It's much more fun to play with people who know what they're doing.
>
> After seeing Eedwick cast it... I decided to learn Heal. Could come in
> handy, no?

The 1st circle spell Heal will come in handy for awhile, but you'll want
to move on to the 4th circle Greater Heal as soon as possible.

> I now have enough feathers to last me a few days, I think.
>
> I killed a wolf by myself. :)
>
> I'm still missing more than I'm hitting with my stupid bow.

If you can get a bunch of arrows, go attack an ogre. Trap him behind
something and shoot until you run out of arrows. Then run away. Yeah,
you waste a lot of arrows but your skill will improve dramatically.
Just make sure to stay a good distance away from him. He will hurt you.

> I feel like I know a little more about what I'm doing. That's a good
> thing.

You did an excellent job and only needed a few pointers. Namely, when
being chased by an orc run BACK to your friends!

> Oh... and in all my excitement about killing and being killed... I forgot
> to tell you. If you are ever in Skara Brae... on Lake Superior... and you
> see a dog named Buster... be nice to him, please... cause he was mine
> once. :)

I will.

Corwin of Amber (Wind Elders, ATL)

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98
Kerry Jane,

>Oh... and in all my excitement about killing and being killed... I forgot
>to tell you. If you are ever in Skara Brae... on Lake Superior... and you
>see a dog named Buster... be nice to him, please... cause he was mine
>once. :)

Uh-oh ... I started a prototype newbie this weekend in Skara on LS.
Not giving one wit for karma, one of his civic duties was to rid the
city of the wild cats and dogs ...

btw, the healing spell is nice and all ... but save up your money and
buy the healing & anatomy skills. 30 of each of those does a nice bit
of healing for fractions of a gold piece. If you can tailor you know
how to make bandages.

I really need a healing macro though. People keep casting heal before
I get a chance to slap on a bandage.

Corwin

GuildBoss

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98

<Snip>
>We went to Yew.

Darnit I missed you guys. I was out looking for the bank in Yew and
got Terribly Lost (yes, Huntsman got lost...) in the urban sprawl
just north of the Abbey.

Anyway, I was wandering about when the message "Now under the
protection of the guards" pops up. Sheesh, I didn't know when I
*stopped* being under their protection in the first place but at that
point I was just glad to be back. :-)

Well, will you be in Yew again tonight? We're supposed to hunt
together, remember? <g> You're making way too much
progress--color-coded packs! <sigh> I don't even have armor yet... :-(

BTW, is there a tailor in Yew? I couldn't seem to locate one.

Cya soon I hope

Huntsman of Yew, LS

P.S. Never did find that bank. I got spooked by all the houses and
just headed back to the Abbey... <g>

Paul H. Soares, Jr.
GuildBoss - Guild and Clan Manager for Win9x/NT
http://www.guildboss.com

Hearding

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98
GuildBoss wrote:

> BTW, is there a tailor in Yew? I couldn't seem to locate one.

There's no tailor in Yew. Just hop in the moongate until you get to
Skara Brae.

Steven Lum

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98

the bank is in the Abbey, the right wing

Scott

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98
On Tue, 3 Nov 1998 08:57:32 -0800, "Kerry Jane" <4k...@nwlink.com>
wrote:

>I'm still missing more than I'm hitting with my stupid bow.

Are you still using a newbie bow (the one you might have been
given upon creation)? If so, next time you see me I'll make you a new
one. Practice bows are terrible, and you really want to use the ones
made by other players.

Scott
--
I'm not bitter. Really.
gothic.net/~raindog/process/

Kerry Jane

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98
Flynndaeyl (LS) wrote in message <71nd7b$54v$1...@hirame.wwa.com>...

>The Yew area is great on LS for both hunting and for finding
> roleplayers and other folk to adventure with.

Yew is good... but there are monsters that are too big for me there... and
even though I'm a GM Runner, I still get stuck behind trees. A lot. So
I'd rather not go alone. And it's hard to find someone to sell my stuff to
there. And I fill up too quick.

> I have been playing a little while, and just started a new
> character on LS in Yew. If you run into Flynndaeyl the
>Aspiring Bowyer and Archer I am certain he will go hunting,
> and bring some friends as well.

That sounds great. :) Janey wears a green fancy dress. I'm back to
green... but it's a store-bought green and looks nicer.

> Great for tailors as the area yields lots of hides (Bulls
> and Cows aplenty). It is also not too far from Yew
> guarded territory.

Are bulls and cows harder than wolves?

It's difficult without knowing the Monster Food Chain.

I think I'm at the bottom of that food chain. Godzilla's nephew chased me
near Britain yesterday. I used my Running Skill yet again.

Janey the Newbie

Kerry Jane

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98
Raph Koster wrote in message <71o6cs$4k2$4...@supernews.com>...
>I have been sitting here with a smile on my face from
>reading all your newbie experiences. :) You sound like
>you are having a lot of fun.

I am. :)

I wish my bow worked better... and I wish somebody (hint hint nudge nudge
wink wink) would up the bird spawn rate. Us newbies are having a horrible
time finding feathers. We can't kill harpies, you know. And begging from
oldbies makes us feel like weenies.

There were all sorts of birds in Britain. But they were on top of
buildings. I ran all around the place trying to figure out how to get up
there. I could have had myself 200 feathers in no time flat.

>I'm glad.

I'm glad you're glad. And I hope you'll tell The Big Man that I'm having
fun being a newbie, too. :) I think he needs to know that some of us are
having fun being newbies.

>PS, of course by next month you'll be asking me for
>something or other and threatening to quit, right? ;)

ROFL! No. All I want is a game to play.

Besides... threatening is not in my nature. I might beg and plead... and
write fifty page essays on why things should be the way I think they should
be... but I won't threaten. Maybe you'd think threatening was better after
a while. :P

Thanks for adding the door-pathfinding to the wish list. I have others.
I'm making a list. :>

Kerry Jane / Janey the Newbie.

Kerry Jane

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98
Hearding wrote in message <363F39F0...@flash.net>...

>Nobody seems to want your green fancy shirt do they?
>Maybe a different color would work better :)

Actually... last night I sold it to Alison the Tailor. I'm really glad
somebody finally wanted it... so I could get it out of my inventory. Whee!

>The 1st circle spell Heal will come in handy for awhile,
> but you'll want to move on to the 4th circle Greater
> Heal as soon as possible.

Every time I start to do something... I find out that I need to do more of
it... or make it bigger, somehow.

Davian is doing better than me. I hate feeling like I'm in competition.
Davian is... (what do you call it, DD?) an Achiever. I did some stupid
things in building this character... which isn't surprising seeing as she
was my first (well, third, but I don't count the other two Janeys since I
don't play them and am waiting the 7 days so I can delete them).

I'll be glad to be Cascades Janey... or Grand Canyon Janey ... or maybe
Rocky Mountain Janey ... or whatever the new shard will be called.

>If you can get a bunch of arrows, go attack an ogre.

Uhhh... I think not.

>Trap him behind something and shoot until you run out
> of arrows.

Right. I will probably get trapped behind something until I run out of
arrows. He won't run out of fists.

>Then run away.
I'm getting good at that.

>Yeah, you waste a lot of arrows but your skill will
>improve dramatically.

But is saying OooOOooo really worth it? I don't sink so.

>You did an excellent job and only needed a few pointers.
>Namely, when being chased by an orc run BACK to your friends!

You said Run. And so I did. I am like Forrest Gump. You need to hold a
big STOP sign to make me stop. :>

Hi. My name's Janey. Janey Guh-ump.

Janey the Newbie

Kerry Jane

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98
bizbee wrote in message <3641b93d...@nntp.ix.netcom.com>...
>Do you have T2A?
>Watch the woods NE of Britain for birds... unfortunately they are also
>rife with PKs....
>and finally...
>practice hiding.

Hiding is up to 50 now.

All of a sudden I am flush with feathers. Whee! But man it was really
tough there for a while. I'm glad i found oldbies to take me hunting.
Harpies = gooood.

I have yet to see a PK... except for those ones that night... and I was
already dead. So what could they do?

If boots don't give me armor protection... and they weigh four whole
stones... why am I wearing them? I'm going barefoot.

Why don't the vendors have a hat that matches my dress?

Why can't I make hats?

I got the kill shot on two monsters (not animals - real actual monsters)
tonight. I want to be The Fair Janey. :>

Kerry Jane / Janey the Newbie

Kerry Jane

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98
Hearding wrote in message <363FF0E8...@flash.net>...
>Why wear armor? If you remember, I wasn't wearing
>any armor until we got back to Yew. I was going to tailor
>a set of studded out of kills but you guys were having so
>much fun that I couldn't bear to take any hides from you :)

You didn't have to do that . . . :) Besides, hides are frustrating. They
are too heavy. They should weigh half of what they do. It would make more
sense...

> (Armor is a good idea though)

Yeah, like . . . what if something *hits* me?? That Ettin (that was The
Huge Thing that killed me the other night) hit hard. And I died quick.

>> tonight. I want to be The Fair Janey. :>

>You already are.
*blush*

Thanks. :)

Janey.
Remove the 4.

Raph Koster

Nov 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/4/98
"Kerry Jane" <4k...@nwlink.com> wrote:

>And I'm so pleased about it that I decided to make it the title of my post.
>:)

Kerry,

I have been sitting here with a smile on my face from reading all your

newbie experiences. :) You sound like you are having a lot of fun. I'm
glad.

-DD

PS, of course by next month you'll be asking me for something or other
and threatening to quit, right? ;)

-Raph Koster
Lead Designer, Ultima Online

GuildBoss

Nov 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/4/98
Thanks. Finally located it on a map at UOSS. The maps in the T2A
manual are too small and dark <sigh>.

Huntsman, LS

>the bank is in the Abbey, the right wing

GuildBoss

Nov 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/4/98
Oh, that's too bad. How exactly does one *use* a moongate? Never mind,
I have the document from UOSS around here somewhere.... :-)

Thanks,

Huntsman

>There's no tailor in Yew. Just hop in the moongate until you get to
>Skara Brae.

Scott

Nov 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/4/98
On Tue, 3 Nov 1998 17:18:54 -0800, "Kerry Jane" <4k...@nwlink.com>
wrote:

>There were all sorts of birds in Britain. But they were on top of

>buildings. I ran all around the place trying to figure out how to get up
>there. I could have had myself 200 feathers in no time flat.

Jhelom and Skara are feather factories. Whenever you need them
just walk along the coastline and you can usually pick up 100 per
trip.

Hearding

Nov 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/4/98
Kerry Jane wrote:

> If boots don't give me armor protection... and they weigh four whole
> stones... why am I wearing them? I'm going barefoot.

Why wear armor? If you remember, I wasn't wearing any armor until we

got back to Yew. I was going to tailor a set of studded out of kills
but you guys were having so much fun that I couldn't bear to take any

hides from you :) (Armor is a good idea though)

[snip]

Matrim Cauthon

Nov 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/4/98
GuildBoss <pa...@guildboss.com> wrote in message

>BTW, is there a tailor in Yew? I couldn't seem to locate one.

Not a tailor, but a skinner.. she buys skin-made tailorer's products

--
Mat

Matrim Cauthon

Nov 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/4/98
Kerry Jane <4k...@nwlink.com> wrote in message
71ov2k$bn8$1...@texas.nwlink.com...

>You didn't have to do that . . . :) Besides, hides are frustrating. They
>are too heavy. They should weigh half of what they do. It would make more
>sense...

Actually, what you should do is tailor each time you get hides, make
something out of them and they weigh much less (weird i know) like 4 hides
weigs what? 40 pounds ? Well tailor them into a studded bustier and voilá, 1
pound

--
Mat

Tolian Worf

Nov 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/4/98
I am not threatening to quit and I have been playing for 4 months!

;)

--
Download UO Journal Converter for a longterm record of your UO Adventures!
http://www.canit.se/~tolian/uojc

Raph Koster wrote in message <71o6cs$4k2$4...@supernews.com>...

>"Kerry Jane" <4k...@nwlink.com> wrote:
>
>>And I'm so pleased about it that I decided to make it the title of my
post.
>>:)

lst...@my-dejanews.com

Nov 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/4/98

> Thanks. Finally located it on a map at UOSS. The maps in the T2A
> manual are too small and dark <sigh>.

Hey. They are there. I don't have to spend ten minutes downloading them if I
go to a new town. I'm not going to complain about the new manual, because I'm
very happy that there IS a manual!

Lew aka Ash of Pacific (unless my new ISP has a lousy connection to it...)

ja...@my-dejanews.com

Nov 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/6/98
LOL
(pause)
LOL (some more)

:)

Gurney Halleck: "If wishes were fished...we'd all cast nets..."

In article <71o6cs$4k2$4...@supernews.com>,
rko...@origin.ea.com (Raph Koster) wrote:

> "Kerry Jane" <4k...@nwlink.com> wrote:
>
> >And I'm so pleased about it that I decided to make it the title of my post.
> >:)
>

> Kerry,
>
> I have been sitting here with a smile on my face from reading all your
> newbie experiences. :) You sound like you are having a lot of fun. I'm
> glad.
>
> -DD
>
> PS, of course by next month you'll be asking me for something or other
> and threatening to quit, right? ;)
>
> -Raph Koster
> Lead Designer, Ultima Online

ja...@my-dejanews.com

Nov 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/6/98

I once saw this Whole FLOCK of birds in an Island town! Long ago...
I was afraid to attack one... Alfred Hitchcock and all...
Figured they'd swarm me and peck/"machine gun" me to death!!!

JadeM †

Gurney Halleck: "If wishes were fished...we'd all cast nets..."

In article <71o9do$lff$1...@texas.nwlink.com>,

"Kerry Jane" <4k...@nwlink.com> wrote:
> Raph Koster wrote in message <71o6cs$4k2$4...@supernews.com>...

> >I have been sitting here with a smile on my face from
> >reading all your newbie experiences. :) You sound like
> >you are having a lot of fun.
>

> I am. :)
>
> I wish my bow worked better... and I wish somebody (hint hint nudge nudge
> wink wink) would up the bird spawn rate. Us newbies are having a horrible
> time finding feathers. We can't kill harpies, you know. And begging from
> oldbies makes us feel like weenies.
>

> There were all sorts of birds in Britain. But they were on top of
> buildings. I ran all around the place trying to figure out how to get up
> there. I could have had myself 200 feathers in no time flat.
>

> >I'm glad.
>
> I'm glad you're glad. And I hope you'll tell The Big Man that I'm having
> fun being a newbie, too. :) I think he needs to know that some of us are
> having fun being newbies.
>

> >PS, of course by next month you'll be asking me for
> >something or other and threatening to quit, right? ;)
>

> ROFL! No. All I want is a game to play.
>
> Besides... threatening is not in my nature. I might beg and plead... and
> write fifty page essays on why things should be the way I think they should
> be... but I won't threaten. Maybe you'd think threatening was better after
> a while. :P
>
> Thanks for adding the door-pathfinding to the wish list. I have others.
> I'm making a list. :>
>

> Kerry Jane / Janey the Newbie.

> kjd (at) nwlink (dot) com
> Remove the 4 to reply via e-mail

ja...@my-dejanews.com

Nov 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/6/98

It's fun (a lot "more" fun, I should say) when you start
because everything is "SHINY & NEW" to you.
Give it two months or so. When the Hard Cold REALITY sets
in you'll be Bitchin like the rest of us!!!
If it's not this... it's that...

:)

JadeM †

> kjd (at) nwlink (dot) com
> Remove the 4 to reply via e-mail

Dundee

Nov 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/6/98
On Wed, 04 Nov 1998 00:18:28 GMT, rko...@origin.ea.com (Raph Koster)
wrote:

>PS, of course by next month you'll be asking me for something or other
>and threatening to quit, right? ;)

All you had to do was add coconuts, and Cyclone would still be with
us...

--
Dundee of Lake Superior - Skep...@SPAMISantisocial.com
Good slime. Nice slime. I've always wanted a friend like you.

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Nov 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/7/98
On Tue, 3 Nov 1998 20:37:54 -0800, "Kerry Jane" <4k...@nwlink.com> wrote:

|If boots don't give me armor protection... and they weigh four whole
|stones... why am I wearing them? I'm going barefoot.

Corrupted already.

You should wear footwear because if you didn't your character's feet would
be cut to shreds from travelling over rough terrain...and regardless of
whether or not the game actually inflicts that penalty.

|Why don't the vendors have a hat that matches my dress?

You need a dye tub and dyes so you can dye the hat of your choice a
suitable color. Use the dyes on the tub, then pick a color, then use the tub
on the hat. The dyes will eventually wear out, but the tub won't.

|Why can't I make hats?

Good question.

Dennis F. Heffernan UO: Venture (Catskills) dfra...@email.com
Montclair State U #include <disclaim.h> ICQ:9154048 CompSci/Philosophy
"And I say now these kittens, they do not get trained/As we did in the days
when Victoria reigned." -- T. S. Eliot, "Gus, the Theatre Cat"

Kerry Jane

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
>|If boots don't give me armor protection... and they weigh four whole
>|stones... why am I wearing them? I'm going barefoot.
> Corrupted already.

Well ... yes. :> However... I did get some Theigh Boots (free with every
orc purchase, yes?) last night, so I am wearing them. I still look like a
menace, even though I'm not wearing Bone Armor.

i think i look fat in my armor. Then, when i put my dress on, which is
another layer of clothing and *should* make me look even *fatter* ... I
look skinnier. But with my Green Fancy Dress... I look too Fancy to be
going Adventuring. But I don't want to get rid of my Kilt (I like my brown
plaid newbie-kilt) ... and I can't wear a shirt on top of my armor to cover
it up... so I guess I am stuck with what I've got.

> You should wear footwear because if you didn't your

> character's feet wouldbe cut to shreds from travelling

> over rough terrain...and regardless of whether or not
> the game actually inflicts that penalty.

Actually, Janey liked to feel the ground under her feet.

> You need a dye tub and dyes so you can dye the hat of
> your choice a suitable color.

Oh Riiiight. Like I could ever get Baxter Green to come from the dye tubs.

(Baxter is the tailor in Skara Brae)

>|Why can't I make hats?
> Good question.

I can make hats now. Well actually... I can make Football Helmets. I
don't think I can dye them green.

BTW - my ISP upgraded their news server, so I have been out of business for
a few days. All of a sudden I have 1275 messages to catch up on. But
after that... I will post about my latest adventures... and a little essay
entitled "It's Not The Destination; It's The Journey." I'm sure this
thrills you all.. but I just didn't want you to think I had quit after so
short a time of playing. :>

(Besides, if I had done that, I would have written one of those I QUIT
messages. hehehe.)

Kerry Jane

Dundee

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 11:03:28 -0800, "Kerry Jane" <4k...@nwlink.com>
wrote:

>going Adventuring. But I don't want to get rid of my Kilt (I like my brown

>plaid newbie-kilt) ... and I can't wear a shirt on top of my armor to cover
>it up... so I guess I am stuck with what I've got.

You can wear a doublet, a tunic or a surcoat over your armor though.

>(Baxter is the tailor in Skara Brae)

His days are numbered, by the way...

Jack Benny

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
Dundee wrote:

> >(Baxter is the tailor in Skara Brae)
>
> His days are numbered, by the way...

Ohhh! I am going to have to get him into the witness protection program
where he will be assigned a new name and home.

Baxter if you can read this, HIDE!

<VBEG>

Jacques

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 11:03:28 -0800, "Kerry Jane" <4k...@nwlink.com> wrote:

|i think i look fat in my armor. Then, when i put my dress on, which is
|another layer of clothing and *should* make me look even *fatter* ... I
|look skinnier. But with my Green Fancy Dress... I look too Fancy to be

|going Adventuring. But I don't want to get rid of my Kilt (I like my brown
|plaid newbie-kilt) ... and I can't wear a shirt on top of my armor to cover
|it up... so I guess I am stuck with what I've got.

If you want a real treat, make a male character and put on a dress.

|Oh Riiiight. Like I could ever get Baxter Green to come from the dye tubs.
|

|(Baxter is the tailor in Skara Brae)

I know; I've got a character there. (Venture-LS just bought a ship today,
after dying twice to lag and almost getting bagged in the process by a PK. Of
course, now he's broke.)

|I can make hats now. Well actually... I can make Football Helmets. I
|don't think I can dye them green.

The new leather caps are not dyeable.

|BTW - my ISP upgraded their news server, so I have been out of business for
|a few days.

'Salright, mine increased its prices and had its service go to hell for a
few days....

|after that... I will post about my latest adventures... and a little essay
|entitled "It's Not The Destination; It's The Journey." I'm sure this
|thrills you all.. but I just didn't want you to think I had quit after so
|short a time of playing. :>

Looking forward to it.

Dennis Francis Heffernan

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 20:01:54 GMT, Dun...@LakeSuperior.Shard (Dundee) wrote:

|>(Baxter is the tailor in Skara Brae)
|

|His days are numbered, by the way...

Another one?

STOP THE MADNESS!

Kerry Jane

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
Dundee wrote in message ...

>>(Baxter is the tailor in Skara Brae)
>His days are numbered, by the way...

Good. Baxter is pissing me off. Could you spawn one that still has Baxter
Green cloth though? And how about a nice Dark Blue?

And how about ones that have hats that match the cloth they sell?

Kerry Jane / Janey the Newbie

remove the 4

Kerry Jane

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
Dennis Francis Heffernan wrote in message
<72d3g4$gf8$2...@news-2.news.gte.net>...

> If you want a real treat, make a male character and put on a dress.
Funny you should mention that.

Last night... i was trying different colors and clothes combinations in the
tailor shoppe at skara brae... and the Dread Pirate Bly (come on, Bly, step
forward and fess up!) came in, drunker 'n a skunk... and I gave him my
purple dress... and he put it on and went into war mode and danced around
in it and said "Arrr" a couple of times. :>

> The new leather caps are not dyeable.

Hmmph. Figures. :>

> Looking forward to it.
Well you are in luck, then! Today is Veteran's day... which means no
mail... which means I had *absolutely nothing* to do at work today. So I
wrote my posts. Hehe - don't tell anybody.

I think I forgot to bring one of them home though. I'll have to post that
one tomorrow. It's unfortunate, though... because that was the "I'm Having
Fun" one.

Kerry Jane / Janey the Newbie

Dundee

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 20:08:58 -0800, "Kerry Jane" <4k...@nwlink.com>
wrote:

>Dundee wrote in message ...

>>>(Baxter is the tailor in Skara Brae)
>>His days are numbered, by the way...
>
>Good. Baxter is pissing me off. Could you spawn one that still has Baxter
>Green cloth though? And how about a nice Dark Blue?
>
>And how about ones that have hats that match the cloth they sell?

I can't control what spawns. Only, to some degree, *when* new ones
will spawn. Don't expect the new weaver (who also has black sandals)
to last much longer either.

Steven Fisher

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
In article <3649d...@news.nwlink.com> , "Kerry Jane" <4k...@nwlink.com>
wrote:

>BTW - my ISP upgraded their news server, so I have been out of business for

>a few days. All of a sudden I have 1275 messages to catch up on. But

>after that... I will post about my latest adventures... and a little essay
>entitled "It's Not The Destination; It's The Journey." I'm sure this
>thrills you all.. but I just didn't want you to think I had quit after so
>short a time of playing. :>

Wonderful! I never got around to posting this, but it was in my drafts
folder for sending when I read this post...

-----
Subject: Kerry Jane!...
...please post more stories! PLEEEAAASE!
*breaks into sobbing*
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAASE!
----

Really. I decided to give it one more day and your post arrived.

When did I become a jaded oldbie who enjoys reading Tales of Helpless
Newbies? Keep up the posts!

--
Steven Fisher