Damn pks on drach!!!

1 view

suntzu14

Dec 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/26/99
Yestarday was like crap!!! first me and a friend (one who gmd) go to del the
long way and we are looking for horses but cant find any so we start smakin
trolls and shit then he says hey wanna go to the orc fort? So i said sure
and we go and kill maybe 4 orc captains (lords?) and about 6 orcs then we'r
over loaded so we go to del to get rune home so when we finally get home
another freind asked us if we wanted to go to the orc fort so since we
didn't get much money the first time we decide to go with him, so i go and
refill my regs so i have about 30 of each that i use (Black Pearl, Silk,
Ash, Mandrake, Ginsing, and Garlic) so i spent about 1k-2k (not sure) on
them and we go so we go the long way again, we get passed 3 out of 4 bridges
and right before the orc fort some damn skelaton mages and e-bolt my ass so
i die!so im thinkin shit! But my freinds tell me to go to town and they
have my shit. So i get to town and get rez at healer and am going back to
get to my friends and shit PKS ALL OVER THE DAMN PLACE, LIKE 10-20 that i
saw and shit shit shit! damn e-bolts, boom+stab= OoOoOooO damn pushed wrong
thing insta rez shit! lost about 5 pionts in everything good! slash OoOOoO
shit theres my dead friend so we go and get rezed again and damn damn damn i
lost all my shit armour, weapons, everything!so there i am in del with notin
on except my neabwied shit and damn no rune home or scroll! and i over here
this guy Cardinal talking about how they will try to kick the pks asses but
it dont sound to good! so finally my friend gets a rune home and a scroll
but damn lost everything evan my rune to Valendor! so there we are standing
in town and theres our guild mistress. She takes us back to the house to
practice on elemantals. and i get a regular q-staff from her and there we
go slapping elem asses and my freind gets to gm then my Guild mistress gets
gm! so then we decide to look for a place to plaace a largge house one of
my friends purchased deed for! so we cant find one so our guildmistress gets
a rune from one of the ppl with us and gates SHIT!!! we'r on ice isle! damn
damn damn so she decides to go get pheonix (guild master) to gate us out of
there so she asks for the rune to this place and she will brb. DAMN!!! he
gave her wrong rune so there me and him are all alone! then he decides to go
log on as other char and get to gulid master so im sitting there for what
15min all alone and then i see him run back in and hide so im like WTF? the
na min later her comes Pheonix and gets a gate to moonglow and later i find
out that it was pks that slowed them down!!! so then i had to log! and thats
the end to my perfect day!!! j/k it wasn't perfect
ShadowBlade }8*P Pac/Drach (Lumb R. Jack)

Al

Dec 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/26/99
ShadowBlade,id like to tell you something.
Its not about your bad day , from wich im very sorry for you, but its rather
about your posts. I feel your a bright teen, with good intentions and all,
and that because of people like you the youth is... <snip a big part>...and
therefore i thank you. Heres the matter:
please drop abreviations like U and R and things like SHIT, unless you
really really need it. Its not very polite in any way for anyone and i dont
feel you are angry enough to say that. A sentence with 'To give all my shit
back' isnt just acceptable in my opinion. Try changing it for synonyms (Is
that the right english word ?) like 'stuff' or 'equipment'...
Youre not so rushed to write a letter to a newsgroup are you ?

Thats it. Act mature and people will treat you right. Be polite and well
spoken and people may even think youre older !

*Those are my opinions, im just giving you advices. It doesn not mean in any
way that you have to change your writing for me or anyone else. Its just
that it will look better for you and your credibility from everyone on this
newsgroup*

Oh crap ! Now i feel like an english teacher.Hope you take those remarks
contstructively !

Al
*And a happy new year!*

suntzu14 <sunt...@bigfoot.com> a écrit dans le message :
s6di5l...@corp.supernews.com...

suntzu14

Dec 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/26/99
> My friend, this has got to be the longest sentence ever :=)

hehe i'm a adventurer not a speller hehe or grammar person hehe.
Me ShadowBlade

suntzu14

Dec 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/26/99
You know people might take you more seriasly if you didn't use the word crap
but instead maybe poo or oh cacka or somehting! Hehe j/k sorry i had to get
falmed again about my tryping and just so u know i am 21 years old as of 6/7
days ago. its just that i have always typed like this since i was 15years
old and i got used to it so its kind of hard to correct sorry.
ShadowBlade Drach/Pac }8*P (Lumb R. Jack) and to the post below it was drach
i dont play atlanctic and i am sure it was europeans the talk kind of like
germans! hehe

Ronald In 't Velt

Dec 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/27/99
Hmmm. Must have been one of "those" days. We all have them...

>So i said sure
>and we go and kill maybe 4 orc captains (lords?) and about 6 orcs then we'r
>over loaded so we go to del to get rune home so when we finally get home
>another freind asked us if we wanted to go to the orc fort so since we
>didn't get much money the first time we decide to go with him, so i go and
>refill my regs so i have about 30 of each that i use (Black Pearl, Silk,
>Ash, Mandrake, Ginsing, and Garlic) so i spent about 1k-2k (not sure) on
>them and we go so we go the long way again, we get passed 3 out of 4 bridges
>and right before the orc fort some damn skelaton mages and e-bolt my ass so
>i die!

My friend, this has got to be the longest sentence ever :=)

Ronald In 't Velt
Please remove MUX from my address to reply.

Acxxi

Dec 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/28/99
The lovely and witty Icelady writes:

>Now I was sure there were no pk's or jerks on the Euro shards
>from what (Gorse) and Stephen Nicholson said in another thread.
>Are you sure this was on Drech and not Atlantic?

That could well be my favorite typo ever. Drech. (assuming it was a typo)
Alas, we poor players on the European shards, buried in Drech!

Anyhow, I don't think its so much a matter of there being *no* PKs on the
European shards. Far from it! But on Drachenfels there are areas I can go and
work and not see PKs for weeks. Literally. When I started mining, I would
strip mine the northern mines in Minoc and make anywhere between 1000-2000 iron
ingots a session without seeing a single other player. The first time I was
PK'd while mining in that area, I was stunned - and I lost about 600 ingots. I
was lulled into a false sense of security!

The PK threat is real on the European shards. I think the Euro-PKs prefer to
pick on folks in dungeons or major PvM areas. Those of us who play for
economic gain (miners, fishers, etc) learn very quickly not to carry anything
of value on us and to develop a strong support network of anti-PKs, thus making
us poor financial targets for the potential player-harvester.

Now, when I play on Chestie (sic - I liked Drech so much I had to find a fun
mis-spelling for an American shard), I find that I can run into a PK about
every five minutes, often in stupid places. (like on the side of a barely
trafficed road, or in their own house killing people who come to their vendor)
I have no idea why Drech and Euro would have a different sort of PK, but they
do.

And, I might add Icelady, should you ever decide to visit us poor Americans who
live on Drech, I would be very happy to set you up with some decent picks,
shovels, and halberds. If you can stomach the occasional lag, you would find a
very congenial atmosphere (as opposed to a congenital atmospherem which is an
entirely different thing, and not a very ncie thing at that).

Rock of Minoc
Crown Pricne (sic) of Typos
Drechonfels (sic)

Richard Cortese

Dec 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/28/99
IceLady <i...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> *smiles*, Thanks for the offer. I do play Europa. I still have my
characters
> on Atlantic. <don't really know why>. Atlantic was where I started in
> Sept. 97. (How could I know then it would be the cesspool of all the
shards).
Ah! Like you had much choice back then. I seem to recall only seeing 3
choices on the shard list when I first started playing, something like
Atlantic, Great Lakes, and Pacific.

The other shards were added pretty quickly, but by then a lot of people had
already become commited to their characters.

Marc Bissonnette

Dec 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/29/99
In article <386b9864...@news.mindspring.com>, i...@mindspring.com says...

>Correct.............. I am still committed to them. Spent too much time on
>my GM Bowyer to just delete the house and characters. :(
>
>I am holding out for the non-pvp area. That should make playing there
>more enjoyable for me.
>
>There are times when playing Europa is totally impossible so I go to
>Atlantic and hang around the house of hunt in the Yew area, or go fishing.

I recently switched from Atlantic over to Drach and have to say that the
people there, in general, are a lot nicer than Atlantic. (Though I do wish my
German was more up to par :)

There are some morons who keep killing the Jeweller in Papua for the sandals
and I take some cheap kicks out of guard whacking them, though there is one or
two of them who take it in stride and actually provide decent conversation
when I'm tired of leather harvesting.

The few PK's I've run into on Drach are pretty stupid. Admittedly, I got
nailed twice, but only because my char was literally two hours old. The common
PK tactic there is swarming, though you occasionally find a moron PK who
attacks you alone and gets an evil surprise in return :)

Definitely pleased I moved over to Drach, though!

As for the jerk population going up when school is out, this is a given. I've
been online for twenty years now, including working for a few ISP's and this
is normal. Little kids think they're cool by acting like dweebs online. FWIW,
they'll look back on it in a few years and realize just how big a twit they
were. (shrug)

--
----------------------------
Marc Bissonnette

Maxi Rose

Dec 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/29/99
In article <3868e003...@news.mindspring.com>,
IceLady <ice...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Dec 1999 17:00:05 -0900, "suntzu14" <sunt...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
>Now I was sure there were no pk's or jerks on the Euro shards
>from what (Gorse) and Stephen Nicholson said in another thread.
>Are you sure this was on Drech and not Atlantic? You know how
>much less civilized us Americans are.
>
>It must have been some American like me playing the Euro shard.
>Could not be some <civilized> European.:P
>
>Ice,

Go to a Japanese shard and you'll find that to be true, actually. I play
on Yamato these days, as I speak a tiny bit of Japanese. While there
earlier this evening in town, some guy named "your A GONER" came up in
newbie clothes. Me and my husband were standing there next to a Japanese
guy named Mozu minding his own business. GONER tried to kill Mozu and Mozu
called guards. GONER got whacked and I robbed him of his 4 purples he was
carrying. GONER then came back and acted all pissed that we killed him.
Mozu had hacked up his corpse and was taking all the parts, not just the
head. GONER told us in perfect English there was no bounty on him. We
said we didn't care. I told GONER I thought he was an American. He said
he was Japanese. I said Americans are the ones running around being rude
on Japanese shards. Some Americans are nice, but most seem to be rude.
He then tried to claim he owned a big building in New York that housed
MTV. Needless to say, amidst the time, he tried to kill me and my hubby
many more times, getting guardwhacked all the while as we called out
"Guards!"

The Japanese fellow, Mozu, just stood there, bewildered, and finally,
GONER got bored of rezzing and dying for trying to attack us, and left.
We then left soon after.

Compare that with the day before where hubby and I were killing frogs in
the sewers on Yamato and this girl comes running up, named Sue, and
suddenly heals me with bandages! She then ran over and healed hubby. We'd
never seen her before in our lives, and as we went around ganking frogs,
she would follow and heal us with bandages. She saw I was tailoring, and
when she'd killed a frog, she gutted it and handed my the hides. All for
free and without us having to ask. Needless to say, I tailored her some
armor and gave it to her. I also saw we had some gold on us, so we pooled
the 197 gold and gave it to her for her kindness. She then ran off.
Moments later, she returned and gave me some fishsteaks. I thought she
maybe gave me 5 or 10, but no, she gave me 500!! Hubby and I continued
fighting frogs and giant rats and Sue kept healing us all evening. We
chatted briefly with her then had to go.

That sort of kindness happens to me on Yamato _all_the_time_. People come
up behind me and heal me, then follow me and heal me more as I need it.
That's the Japanese for you. They go to inns and taverns and buy lots of
food, laying out a bit in small piles over all of the tables for people,
then leave. They leave out food for people. Then other Japanese come in
and take some. But unlike Americans I've seen, they don't take all the
nice food and sell it back. They eat as much as they need and leave,
leaving the rest of the food for others. It's a whole other world on a
Japanese shard. Let me tell you.

--
@}>-`--,-- @}>-`--,-- @}>-`--,-- {{@}} --,--'-<{@ --,--'-<{@ --,--'-<{@
Maxi Rose Ghost of a Texas Lady | Anime: FY, MB, KOR | Bab5, Goth

Wilson

Dec 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/29/99
I accidently play on Hokuto because when i used UO to ping server to find
out which is the fastest, it gave me Hokuto ( I found out one month later
Great Lakes is really the best ping for me as i live in Texas). Right now
Hokuto has my best characters, because i play there the most. Hokuto may
have a bad ping but the players are very nice. I get PKed only twice in 1
1/2 month of playing...compared I get PKed 5 minutes into the game in Great
Lakes just right out of guard zone west of Britain. Got my stuff stolen once
from a PC who speaks good english. People in Hokuto don't run if you try to
walk near them, on Great Lakes they do. Last night i am offering a place for
a vendor in my house for my neighbor because he needs to lock his packhorse
in the house for easier mining. I have been wondering around the woods from
Trinsic to Britian for the last 10 days to find a spot for a house, haven't
come across reds yet. Now i saw some more perfect english speaking PCs in
the Hokuto now, hope they don't do the things back in Great Lakes to spoil
this great community.

Swank MacCloud

Dec 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/29/99
>I recently switched from Atlantic over to Drach and have to say that the
>people there, in general, are a lot nicer than Atlantic.

Yeah, I too have done the same move. With in one day of playing I was involved
in more player community then I found in over a year on Atlantic. I had a few
friends on Atlantic left from my extended break from UO, and much to my suprise
but I find out that 2 of them are smurfs there! So I guess I get my cake and
eat it too. Oh and also, its my estimate that there are maybe 3/4 less pks on
Drach then on Atlantic. And the majority of them I have met have been damn
commited to being red, and looking/acting damn evil all the time. Not too much
of the old "Come on out into the woods and I'll help you...oooOOOooo" -tactic
you see on Atlantic. That and most of the pk's I've met are VERY American (
met a guy named UsArUlZ or some crap once, and wacked him) or VERY
German...old habits die hard I guess...British and French don't wanna fight,
but boy do those Americans and Germans make up for 'em
Just my opp. I could be wrong,
Ace Card/Swank MacCloud

Marc Bissonnette

Dec 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/29/99
In article <19991229065703...@ng-cu1.aol.com>,
mrey...@aol.comSPAMOLA says...

>but boy do those Americans and Germans make up for 'em
>Just my opp. I could be wrong,

Really? I've found the Germans to be pretty cool. Much as I hate to stereoype
by nationality, but the Americans make up the largest portion of the jerks in
UO (I'm Canadian). The Japanese, true to stereotype, are probably the politest
people online, followed closely by the very rare Russian :)

Actually, my first encounter with Russian players was in Quake when I asked
what language they were all speaking, and about five of them immediately
switched to English and we had the coolest conversation about life in Russia
:)

Ian A Kelley

Dec 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/29/99
Maxi Rose (tel...@vex.net) wrote:

: That sort of kindness happens to me on Yamato _all_the_time_. People come

: up behind me and heal me, then follow me and heal me more as I need it.
: That's the Japanese for you. They go to inns and taverns and buy lots of

: food, laying out a bit in small piles over all of the tables for people,

: then leave. They leave out food for people. Then other Japanese come in
: and take some. But unlike Americans I've seen, they don't take all the
: nice food and sell it back. They eat as much as they need and leave,
: leaving the rest of the food for others. It's a whole other world on a
: Japanese shard. Let me tell you.

Aaargh!! I need the Japanese UO client!! I wanted to play on a Japanese
shard from square one (since I speak/read Japanese fluently) but I'd feel
really stupid writing in romaji. Anyone know where I could get a copy?
Does it require the Japanese version of Win98 too? When I emailed OSI
about this, they seemed pretty clueless.

Thanks for any input.

--
Ian Kelley "Try not to become a man of success but
ike...@mail.sas.upenn.edu rather to become a man of value."

Shin

Dec 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/29/99
On 29 Dec 1999 20:59:59 GMT, ike...@mail2.sas.upenn.edu (Ian A Kelley)
wrote:

>Maxi Rose (tel...@vex.net) wrote:
>
>: That sort of kindness happens to me on Yamato _all_the_time_. People come
>: up behind me and heal me, then follow me and heal me more as I need it.
>: That's the Japanese for you. They go to inns and taverns and buy lots of
>: food, laying out a bit in small piles over all of the tables for people,
>: then leave. They leave out food for people. Then other Japanese come in
>: and take some. But unlike Americans I've seen, they don't take all the
>: nice food and sell it back. They eat as much as they need and leave,
>: leaving the rest of the food for others. It's a whole other world on a
>: Japanese shard. Let me tell you.
>
>Aaargh!! I need the Japanese UO client!! I wanted to play on a Japanese
>shard from square one (since I speak/read Japanese fluently) but I'd feel
>really stupid writing in romaji. Anyone know where I could get a copy?
>Does it require the Japanese version of Win98 too? When I emailed OSI
>about this, they seemed pretty clueless.

Geez, how clueless can OSI get? They don't even know how their own
software works???

I'm sure since UO is exported to Japan, you might be able to import it
back in. Maybe an online vendor in Japan? Or a distributor who imports
stuff from Japan.

Quaestor

Dec 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/29/99
Marc Bissonnette wrote:

> Really? I've found the Germans to be pretty cool. Much as I hate to stereoype
> by nationality, but the Americans make up the largest portion of the jerks in
> UO (I'm Canadian).

It's easy to bash americans. We make up the biggest share of users of the
internet, and a far-wider portion of our populace has internet access than most
countries, so you don't have to have any class or any feeling of a stake in the
future in order to appear online. Also, we are fighting a "don't discipline your
child" craze that has produced a couple of generations of kids, maybe half of whom
are now on internet, who do not share the values of their previous generations,
things like life, liberty, the happiness of pursuit, public property, private
property, generosity, sociability, and most everything else, they do not value in
the way that most of the civilized people of the world do. With no social values,
much less any controls, of course they act in an anti-social manor.

So let's point the finger of blame where it belongs, at those who say don't
discipline your child.

(It is a certainty that someone will now call me a child-beater. Guess what sort
of upbringing that someone had?)

> Actually, my first encounter with Russian players was in Quake when I asked what
> language they were all speaking, and about five of them immediately switched to
> English and we had the coolest conversation about life in Russia :)

Too bad OS couldn't be troubled to include bluejeans on the christmas list. :-)

Mike

Dec 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/30/99

What is the difference on the UO ? I thought you can play any shard
with standard UO client.

Anyways, with the minicrash last night, the servers I could play were Hokuto
and Wakuto. Started new miners and within 3 mins in Minoc, some PK tries
to take me out. No offence but I don't think they were Japanese PK's.
Names were some hilly billy name and GiGaLaMeSh or something. Typical
annoying underage jerks (US probably *heh* ).

Must be a record, first 3 mins and I get attacked. Good thing I fought back
and other miners came, then the PK's ran :)

Maachanto no Remon

Dec 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/30/99
On Thu, 30 Dec 1999 10:12:27 -0500, Mike <cha...@arvotek.net> simply
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>What is the difference on the UO ? I thought you can play any shard
>with standard UO client.
>
>Anyways, with the minicrash last night, the servers I could play were Hokuto
>and Wakuto. Started new miners and within 3 mins in Minoc, some PK tries
>to take me out. No offence but I don't think they were Japanese PK's.
>Names were some hilly billy name and GiGaLaMeSh or something. Typical
>annoying underage jerks (US probably *heh* ).
>
>Must be a record, first 3 mins and I get attacked. Good thing I fought back
>and other miners came, then the PK's ran :)

I know that several US underage jerks make it a sport of joining
Japanese shards to do nothing but be a nuisance, because "thos edamm
JapZ sux at PvP" .. Really makes me proud to have them as ambassadors
for not only my generation, but for my country.

-Katie

Kiril Threndor

Dec 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/30/99
In article <386d51f1...@news.bna.bellsouth.net>, IceLady
<i...@bellsouth.net> writes
> I think the American shards just has more kids playing.
>The telephone cost in Europe makes it much harder for kids to spend
>much time on-line. Fewer kids = fewer pk's and fewer jerks from my
>experience.

This is the main reason. In all online games I have played where there
are different regional servers, there are always more kewl doods on the
US servers. The average age is a lot lower on the Us servers and it can
only be because of the Telco pricing in Europe.

This will change soon though, as from the Spring, the UK is switching to
flat pricing. If you think that the US has the monopoly on school age
jerks, just wait until our idiots get online!

Kiril Threndor
A swordsman, just not a very good one!

Be true, Unbeliever
Answer the call.

rattran

Dec 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/31/99
On Thu, 30 Dec 1999 18:25:11 +0000, Kiril Threndor
<ult...@baywatch.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>This is the main reason. In all online games I have played where there
>are different regional servers, there are always more kewl doods on the
>US servers. The average age is a lot lower on the Us servers and it can
>only be because of the Telco pricing in Europe.
>
>This will change soon though, as from the Spring, the UK is switching to
>flat pricing. If you think that the US has the monopoly on school age
>jerks, just wait until our idiots get online!

I think it may be simply the jerk-nice ratio is fairly standard across
regional/language barriers, but there are so many Americans playing
that the majority of the jerks end up being American jerks.

WARNING: following numbers bear no relation to reality, and are for
demonstration purposes only. Do not place in mouth or rectum.

100,000 Americans, 10,000 jerks
20,000 Germans, 2,000 jerks
20,000 British, 2,000 jerks
30,000 Aus/Nz, 3,000 jerks
10 methane breathing aliens, 1 jerk

Ian A Kelley

Dec 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/31/99
Shin (n...@pobox.com) wrote:

: Geez, how clueless can OSI get? They don't even know how their own
: software works???

Yep, they emailed me back with the standard "You can use the translation
server to communicate" seeming to not realize I was asking about how to
TYPE in Japanese...when I clarified this, he said "Talk to EA," who just
pointed me back to OSI. Whee, now I'm going in cirles :(

: I'm sure since UO is exported to Japan, you might be able to import it

: back in. Maybe an online vendor in Japan? Or a distributor who imports
: stuff from Japan.

Heh, if only I knew of one...I suppose I can just start a char on a
Japanese shard and just build him until I get the Japanese client so I
can actually talk with people...:P

Richard Cortese

Dec 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/31/99
Ian A Kelley <ike...@mail1.sas.upenn.edu> wrote in message

> Heh, if only I knew of one...I suppose I can just start a char on a
> Japanese shard and just build him until I get the Japanese client so I
> can actually talk with people...:P
They seem to have the ability to turn off the Japanese character set when
they want to communicate. Arigato always gets ^^ returned anyway.

Otara

Jan 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/1/00
On 31 Dec 1999 11:47:02 -0600, rattran <rat...@renn.faire.net> wrote:
>I think it may be simply the jerk-nice ratio is fairly standard across
>regional/language barriers, but there are so many Americans playing
>that the majority of the jerks end up being American jerks.

Absolutely. Australians would easily take over if we had the numbers
:).

Otara

Ian A Kelley

Jan 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/1/00
Richard Cortese (rico...@netmagic.net) wrote:
: Ian A Kelley <ike...@mail1.sas.upenn.edu> wrote in message

Actually, the thing that's really weird is you don't need the client to
read the Japanese character set...just the Japanese character font. I've
got NJWin installed on my system, and when Japanese players type in
Japanese, I can read it. I just can't TYPE it...

Richard Cortese

Jan 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/1/00
Ian A Kelley <ike...@mail2.sas.upenn.edu> wrote in message

> Richard Cortese (rico...@netmagic.net) wrote:
> : Ian A Kelley <ike...@mail1.sas.upenn.edu> wrote in message
> : news:84jahi$5sk$1...@netnews.upenn.edu...
> : > Heh, if only I knew of one...I suppose I can just start a char on a
> : > Japanese shard and just build him until I get the Japanese client so I
> : > can actually talk with people...:P
> : They seem to have the ability to turn off the Japanese character set
when
> : they want to communicate. Arigato always gets ^^ returned anyway.
>
> Actually, the thing that's really weird is you don't need the client to
> read the Japanese character set...just the Japanese character font. I've
> got NJWin installed on my system, and when Japanese players type in
> Japanese, I can read it. I just can't TYPE it...
Maybe a real silly question, but can it be Windows that is forcing a
default? I am not sure how tied UO is the the machine it is on, but I kind
of think they may may have used a lot of Windows hooks.

Ian A Kelley

Jan 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/2/00
Richard Cortese (rico...@netmagic.net) wrote:

: Maybe a real silly question, but can it be Windows that is forcing a

: default? I am not sure how tied UO is the the machine it is on, but I kind
: of think they may may have used a lot of Windows hooks.

English Windows and Japanese support do not really go hand-in-hand...you
can only type Japanese in applications that support it, then
cut-and-paste it into other applications. Of course, this doesn't
work with UO. I imagine that UOj is simply an application that allows
Japanese input and would work with NJWIN, or Windows 9kJ, of course. I know
that UO English doesn't allow for Japanese input, and even when I tried
to send Japanese "spell words" with UOMagic they came up as complete
garble in the UO client.

Wish this could be as easy as JLK on my Mac is...:(