Lazy Production Workers?

carca...@my-dejanews.com

Sep 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/18/98
I have noticed something strange with the production queue. Sometimes, if
you put an item into a production queue it will showup green but not be
produced. I have noticed this mostly when the resources available is exactly
or just a very little bit more than what is needed for the item being
produced.

Is the research percentage somehow screwing up the actual resources available
at a planet? Perhaps if you have an item in the queue that needs 50
ressources and you have exactly 50 resources (or even 51) available at the
planet (after research has been taken out) when the turn is actually
generated the research percentage calculations are off because of rounding or
something and you end up with less than the 50 resources than your planet
reported when you were playing the turn.

This problem has hurt me in the past when I was trying to build an orbital
fort just in time for an attack but the fort wasn't built! It showed green
in the queue but next turn it wasn't there and I lost the world. If I had
known about this potential problem I would have designed the fort with a few
less beams so I could have had a few resources buffered to ensure that the
fort was built.

This may be an old issue but I haven't seen anything on it recently.

Thanks in advance,

carcassonne

Alex Heney

Sep 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/18/98
On Fri, 18 Sep 1998 13:53:23 GMT, carca...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

>I have noticed something strange with the production queue. Sometimes, if
>you put an item into a production queue it will showup green but not be
>produced. I have noticed this mostly when the resources available is exactly
>or just a very little bit more than what is needed for the item being
>produced.
>
>Is the research percentage somehow screwing up the actual resources available
>at a planet?

Are you sure that it was still green immediately before submitting
your turn?

I have done similar things in the past where I have set it so that
something would be produce, and then afterwards realised I only needed
an extra 1% on research to get a level. Putting the research level up
"lost" the resources needed for the item.

It is also possible, if ships have waypoint zero orders to lift
population or minerals, that this would not leave enough of something
to build the item. Even a waypoint zero order to drop population could
cause it, if you have an autobuild of factories/mines ahead in the
queue, because the green showing will only take account of what is
currently on the planet + growth for next turn.

There may be other ways of affecting the resources or minerals
available next turn when you are not looking at the planet, but the
above are all I can think of immediately.
--

Alex Heney, global villager

Please remove NO and SPAM from above
address if replying by email.

Olaf Meyer

Sep 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/18/98
>I have noticed something strange with the production queue. Sometimes, if
>you put an item into a production queue it will showup green but not be
>produced. I have noticed this mostly when the resources available is
exactly
>or just a very little bit more than what is needed for the item being
>produced.
>
>Is the research percentage somehow screwing up the actual resources
available
>at a planet?

I have also noticed effect. I don't think it depends on research though,
because it might also occur when you have your research set to 0%.

Perhaps if you have an item in the queue that needs 50
>ressources and you have exactly 50 resources (or even 51) available at the
>planet (after research has been taken out) when the turn is actually
>generated the research percentage calculations are off because of rounding
or
>something and you end up with less than the 50 resources than your planet
>reported when you were playing the turn.

This problem always occurs if I try to build as many chaff scouts as
possible at one planet. E.g. if I put 400 chaffs into my production queue I
find next turn that 20 of them haven't been built.
My suspicion is that this behaviour depends on the miniaturization level you
have. When you have all tech levels maxed out a quick jump 5 engine will
cost you only 1I 0B 1G 1Res. (if I remember right...), but I suppose that
the game keeps track of maybe 1/10 or 1/100 of either the minerals or the
resources, or both. So if an item cost you 1.05 I, 0 B 1.14G and 1.2 Res you
might end up with a price of 105I 0B 114G and 120Res for 100 items instead
of 100/0/100/100.
But maybe there is another explanation and I am totally wrong.

GENERAL SPIROU
AKA "BEASTY-BOY"

jason...@msn.com

Sep 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/19/98
In article <3602b3f3...@news.btinternet.com>,

a.j....@btNOinterSPAMnet.com (Alex Heney) wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Sep 1998 13:53:23 GMT, carca...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> >Is the research percentage somehow screwing up the actual resources available
> >at a planet?

Nope, not a research-allocation thing.

> Are you sure that it was still green immediately before submitting
> your turn?

This isn't it either. It is not a question of changes made before the turn is
generated (though sure that could change things too).

I think Olaf is on the right track with the fractional cost thing. The
effect is much more noticable with a large number of cheap ships than with a
smaller number of relatively expensive ones. The "rounding" or fractional
cost error would be bigger then, of course. It seems the queue only knows
the integer costs, though. I have also noticed that some turns when this
happens, the leftovers to research are different than the research screen
estimate, which can make one miss a level increase if you cut things too
fine. And no, that isn't the extra levels thing, but seems to stem from the
same sort of "underpricing" of small ships in Qs; more resources than the Qs
thought seem to be going to the shipbuilding, leaving less for the research
and reducing the number built.

I have not nailed it down, beyond being able to confirm that it does happen
and that from what I have seen Olaf is on the right track.

For what it is worth...

Sincerely,

Jason Cawley