Production Queue Item Completion Time Wrong

Marvin Gersho

Jul 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/16/00
I am playing my first Stars game.
It is a 12 player Internet game.

I don't understand the production queue indicator of when an item will be
completed. I scheduled an upgrade of a starbase. I definitely had enough
minerals to complete it in one turn, with about 20 or so to spare. I also
had about double the resources needed to complete it. Yet it didn't
complete that turn so instead of an almost certain victory, the older
version of the starbase was destroyed by an enemy attack.

The item appeared green in the production queue. How can I really know for
sure whether an item will complete in one turn or not. This is not the
first time this has happened to me.

Does anyone know?

Thanks,
Marvin

Russ Lewis

Jul 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/16/00
Marvin Gersho wrote:

Did you have any freigters set to pick up minerals and/or colonists? Was the
opponent SS? If so, did he have a ship around your planet that could have
stolen minerals? Packet attack? etc...

--
russ:3:respawn:/usr/bin/russ -verbose > /dev/world

Russ Lewis

Jul 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/16/00
Elliott wrote:

> In article <Piqc5.68333$lU5.4...@news1.rdc1.nj.home.com>,

> "Marvin Gersho" <mge...@home.com> wrote:
> > I am playing my first Stars game.
> > It is a 12 player Internet game.
> >
> > I don't understand the production queue indicator of when an item
> will be
> > completed. I scheduled an upgrade of a starbase. I definitely had
> enough
> > minerals to complete it in one turn, with about 20 or so to spare. I
> also
> > had about double the resources needed to complete it. Yet it didn't
> > complete that turn so instead of an almost certain victory, the older
> > version of the starbase was destroyed by an enemy attack.
> >
> > The item appeared green in the production queue. How can I really
> know for
> > sure whether an item will complete in one turn or not. This is not
> the
> > first time this has happened to me.
> >
> > Does anyone know?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Marvin
>

> I've had several occasions where an item would turn up green but not be
> built. I think the host computer or program is rounding something
> differently then your computer. It always seems to be not in your
> favor. Because of that I always leave a small fudge factor for
> important things like your base.
>
> It is unfortunate that it had to happen to you that way. You have my
> sympathy.

Is either running Linux? I thought somebody said something about rounding
differences...

Russ Lewis

Jul 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/16/00
Marvin Gersho wrote:

> Elliott <klein...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> > --
> > - Elliott Kleinrock (mailto:ell...@inorbit.com)
>
> How much of a fudge factor do you think is necessary? I am rebuilding a
> base this turn on the
> star system. It will be smaller, but hopefully big enough because this turn
> his bombers come in.
> I want as big a base as I can, but I don't want it to go unbuilt this time.
>
> Marvin

I've never experienced *any* inaccuracies in the predictions...that's why I'm
curious if something else happened. Not that it's impossible, but I'm surprised
to hear of it.

Russ Lewis

Jul 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/16/00
Marvin direct emailed me. I clipped my response:

-----------------
> I actually had minerals delivered that turn. There is no SS player in the
> game. No mass drivers seen so far. Quite a frustrating experience.

Ahah! That's the problem!

Minerals are delivered *after* combat (so you have the opportunity to kill an
enemy's ship as it enters orbit). Combat happens *after* production. That's
why you didn't complete it...the minerals didn't arrive until well after
production was complete.
-----------------

If I was incorrect, somebody please speak up.

Elliott

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Marvin Gersho

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00

Elliott <klein...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

How much of a fudge factor do you think is necessary? I am rebuilding a

Elliott

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00
In article <sBtc5.68449$lU5.4...@news1.rdc1.nj.home.com>,

I havn't tested this, but I would go with about 5% of mined minerals
and resources. Minerals on the surface already should be fine. Of
course if he's SS you can lose surface minerals to robber barons, he
needs elec 15 to do that though. It sounds like this is fairly early in
the game, so that is probably not a concern. Also since you knew about
the attack I doubt that he is SS.

--
- Elliott Kleinrock (mailto:ell...@inorbit.com)

Dan Neely

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00

"Russ Lewis" <ru...@lycosmail.com> wrote in message

> Marvin Gersho wrote:
> > Elliott <klein...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > > I've had several occasions where an item would turn up green but not
be
> > > built. I think the host computer or program is rounding something
> > > differently then your computer. It always seems to be not in your
> > > favor. Because of that I always leave a small fudge factor for
> > > important things like your base.
> >
> > How much of a fudge factor do you think is necessary?

if you have the design slots, put several sequential designs in.

> I've never experienced *any* inaccuracies in the predictions...that's why
I'm
> curious if something else happened. Not that it's impossible, but I'm
surprised
> to hear of it.

it happened to me empire wide once. I'd just passed a tech break, and had
all my planets upgrade thieir SB, and build a new BB with the tech. doing
both
required slightly more resouces than a 50% hold provided, so I went from
planet
to planet tweeking the exact amount of pop so I'd have exactly enough
resouces
to upgrade the base, adn build 1 BB. every BB was 99% done the next turn.

Bones

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00
Russ Lewis <ru...@lycosmail.com> wrote

You may be correct, but so is everyone else. Stars has a bug in the
prediction algorithm, at least in multi-player games.

Tinker Gnome

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00

> Marvin direct emailed me. I clipped my response:
>
> -----------------
> > I actually had minerals delivered that turn. There is no SS player in
the
> > game. No mass drivers seen so far. Quite a frustrating experience.
>
> Ahah! That's the problem!
>
> Minerals are delivered *after* combat (so you have the opportunity to kill
an
> enemy's ship as it enters orbit). Combat happens *after* production.
That's
> why you didn't complete it...the minerals didn't arrive until well after
> production was complete.
> -----------------
>
> If I was incorrect, somebody please speak up.
what if you have battle orders set to dump cargo? would the cargo (minerals)
then go to the planet that is under the combat?

Russ Lewis

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
Tinker Gnome wrote:

Battle still happens after production. I don't know if the cargo gets dumped on
the planet or if it's lost in space...never tried.

Russ Lewis

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
Russ Lewis wrote:

> Marvin direct emailed me. I clipped my response:
>
> -----------------
> > I actually had minerals delivered that turn. There is no SS player in the
> > game. No mass drivers seen so far. Quite a frustrating experience.
>
> Ahah! That's the problem!
>
> Minerals are delivered *after* combat (so you have the opportunity to kill an
> enemy's ship as it enters orbit). Combat happens *after* production. That's
> why you didn't complete it...the minerals didn't arrive until well after
> production was complete.
> -----------------
>
> If I was incorrect, somebody please speak up.

Marvin mailed me again, clarified that he did not mean minerals delivered by
ship, but mined by the mines. Sorry, Marvin.

Aldaron

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
Russ Lewis wrote:

> Tinker Gnome wrote:
>
> > "Russ Lewis" <ru...@lycosmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Marvin direct emailed me. I clipped my response:
> > >
> > > -----------------
> > the
> > >
> > > Ahah! That's the problem!
> > >
> > > Minerals are delivered *after* combat (so you have the opportunity to kill
> > an
> > > enemy's ship as it enters orbit). Combat happens *after* production.
> > That's
> > > why you didn't complete it...the minerals didn't arrive until well after
> > > production was complete.
> > > -----------------
> > >
> > > If I was incorrect, somebody please speak up.
> > what if you have battle orders set to dump cargo? would the cargo (minerals)
> > then go to the planet that is under the combat?
>
> Battle still happens after production. I don't know if the cargo gets dumped on
> the planet or if it's lost in space...never tried.
>
> --
> russ:3:respawn:/usr/bin/russ -verbose > /dev/world

It gets dumped to the planet, same as the salvage from the
battle in orbit drops to the planet.

--
We walk in the dark places no other will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

----Anla'Shok Vow

Remove nospam to reply

Loren Pechtel

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
>differently then your computer. It always seems to be not in your
>favor. Because of that I always leave a small fudge factor for
>important things like your base.

How would you notice a rounding error in your favor?

Loren Pechtel

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
>How much of a fudge factor do you think is necessary? I am rebuilding a
>base this turn on the
>star system. It will be smaller, but hopefully big enough because this turn
>his bombers come in.
>I want as big a base as I can, but I don't want it to go unbuilt this time.

One thing I have done is used *TWO* starbase designs. Build
something you are sure of, then build another that's the same thing
with more stuff added. If the second doesn't complete, you still get
the first at least.

Chris Schack

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
In article <PCCc5.9961$cc3.1...@news.magma.ca>,
"Bones" <drbones...@hotmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>You may be correct, but so is everyone else. Stars has a bug in the
>prediction algorithm, at least in multi-player games.

I just found a definite sign of that bug. Ran up plans for 3 turns,
ended up 3 short on resources. Exactly 3, on a single planet.

Chris Schack

James McGuigan

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00
Loren Pechtel <lorenp...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

The ship that you though would take 3 years to build (3111 res on a planet
with 1555 res/year) gets done in 2.

That or you get an extra chaff ship added to you main BB you just had enough
res for.

--
I have my freedom, and even bound and beaten I will still be free,
For I am free because and only because I know I am free,

James McGuigan

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00
Chris Schack <tmpm...@trends.net> wrote in message

That suggests that the program messes up by 1 resource per year.

I would assume this is due to a > instead of a >= being used (or the other
way round) in the IF statement for the prediction, and this would aslo get
multiplied by the number of years as stars seems to check each year
seprately and then adds up instead of just adding it all up and dividing by
number of years.

Well this is my take on your analisis, does it seem right to you. And Jeff
what's you take on this 'feature'?

Loren Pechtel

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00
>> >differently then your computer. It always seems to be not in your
>> >favor. Because of that I always leave a small fudge factor for
>> >important things like your base.
>>
>> How would you notice a rounding error in your favor?
>
>The ship that you though would take 3 years to build (3111 res on a planet
>with 1555 res/year) gets done in 2.
>
>That or you get an extra chaff ship added to you main BB you just had enough
>res for.

True, but neither are all that dramatic, you very well might not
see it.

Pix!

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00
"James McGuigan" <Jame...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> way round) in the IF statement for the prediction, and this would aslo get
> multiplied by the number of years as stars seems to check each year
> seprately and then adds up instead of just adding it all up and dividing
by
> number of years.

Well, yes. This is how construction happens in the real world. :)

Arralen

Jul 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/20/00
James McGuigan wrote:

> And Jeff
> what's you take on this 'feature'?

Happily ignoring - there something else to do, what promises MONEY !!

Besides - do you want to buy a sequel to a game that wasn't patch to
"bug-free" status in 'bout 5 years?

.. just kidding - of course we'll all buy SN, won't we ?

Arralen

There's no "doesn't fit!"
- you always can adjust the size of the hammer most easily !!

...from my first lesson in engineering.