colonist decy rate ?

LordHelmchen

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Hi
I's me again !
I could use the formula(e) used to calculate the loss of colonists due
to overcrowding and/or negative planet values.
This would help me a lot in improoving my IS design and Tactics.

LordHelmchen
Alienist of Alienate

Dif-tor heh smusma \\//_
substitute AT=@ and DOT=. in reply address

Ezequiel

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
LordHelmchen <lord.h...@cyberdude.com> escribio:

>Hi
>I's me again !
>I could use the formula(e) used to calculate the loss of colonists due
>to overcrowding and/or negative planet values.
>This would help me a lot in improoving my IS design and Tactics.

Two different issues here:

Negative planets: The planet kills 0.1*(hab value) of the pop each
year, independently of the capacity. The capacity is calculated as if
it was a 5% planet. A -1% planet kills 0.1% of your pop each year.

Overcrowded positive planets: A 100% planet kills 0% of your pop each
year. A 400% planet (and any over that) kills 12% of your pop each
year. It's linear in that interval, so:

(capacity%)-100%
(pop-death%)=----------------*12% , 100% < (capacity%) < 400%
300%

Or better:

( (Pop)/(PlanetValue)-(MaxPop) )
(PopNextYear)=( 1 - ----------------------------*.12 )(Pop)
( (MaxPop) )

Where (PlanetValue) goes from 0 to 1 (58% is .58) and (MaxPop) means
the max pop in the HW.

One thing that took me some time to realize: Pop spillovers from
freighters to planets happen *before* deaths from overcrowding. That
means that the calculation you have to make is not: "X people will
die, how many do I have to have over orbit to replace them?" but "I'll
have X people in orbit of a planet with Y pop. Those X will generate
X*(1+G/200) spillover [G is actual max growth, from 1 to 20], so I'll
have Y+X*(1+G/2) now in the planet, and from these a certain amount
will die (which I can calculate using the overcrowding formulas). How
much must X be so the deaths from overcrowding in Y+X*(1+G/200) are
exactly Y?"

In negative planets: the overcrowding is always a constant percentage,
that depends in V (the planet value), that goes from -1 to -45. The
math:

(1+V/1000)(Y+X(1+G/200))=Y =>

X = Y/((1+G/200)*(-1000/V-1))

Plug the desired Y, the planet's D and the race's G and you'll know
how many pop to put over that red planet.

Calculating how much to put over a positive planet that you want to
keep at a given overcrowding level (300% is pretty popular) is a
bigger pain in the ass, though. M is the max pop in the HW:

(Y+X*(1+G/2))*(1-.12*(((Y+X*(1+G/2))/V)-M)/M)=Y

I don't feel like getting the X out right now...

SBPosey

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
In article <35E5A5F3...@cyberdude.com>, LordHelmchen
<lord.h...@cyberdude.com> writes:

>I could use the formula(e) used to calculate the loss of colonists due
>to overcrowding and/or negative planet values.
>This would help me a lot in improoving my IS design and Tactics.

Once upon a time, I knew the formula for overcrowding, but I've
since forgotten. Negative planet values are easy: your colonists
die at 1/10th the planet value. Planet value = -12%... Colonists
die at 1.2% per year.
--
sbp...@aol.com
"Living on earth may be expensive, but it includes an annual free trip

SBPosey

Aug 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/30/98
In article <35e557a9...@noticias.ibernet.es>,
EMA...@santandersupernet.com (Ezequiel) writes:

>One thing that took me some time to realize: Pop spillovers from
>freighters to planets happen *before* deaths from overcrowding.

That ordering is as listed on my Order of Events page (although,
not the consequences of that fact).

http://members.aol.com/sbposey/stars.html