HA. HA. haaaaa... GO busted. Google DeepMind AlphaGo beats Lee Se-dol in game 1

raylopez99

Mar 9, 2016, 10:25:43 PM3/9/16
I remember when Usenet had a GO forum (seems to have disappeared) I trolled them after Deep Blue won vs Kasparov, telling them their turn was next, and how smug and sanctimonious they were, saying it will never happen due to GO's complexity, mystical nature and other such nonsense. Ignorant peasants. Their game is rubble now, and the difference is: chess has a rich pedigree and will continue, while their game will be lost into the dustbin of history. Who wants to play a game of pattern recognition with no logical tactical requirements like chess has? You might as well read bar codes for fun.

brad

Mar 10, 2016, 10:32:09 AM3/10/16

Quadibloc

Mar 10, 2016, 9:03:04 PM3/10/16
The human player noted that he made a mistake during that first game, so
presumably he will be more careful during the rest of the match.

Still, for the Go champion to be defeated by a giant machine, like Deep Thought
was, at a time when the world chess champion can be beaten by any ordinary PC
still shows that Go is indeed harder than Chess.

As to people still playing either game - well, it depends on one's tastes, and
in Japan, at least, Go is an acquired cultural taste.

Also, with _komidashi_, Go recovered from what *its* Steinitz, Shusaku, had
done to it. Chess still hasn't bounced back, and so with rare exceptions, chess
is not much of a spectator sport. Yes, Go matches are actually exciting to
people who like that sort of thing - the way chess matches were in the days of
Anderssen and Kieseritzky.

John Savard

raylopez99

Mar 11, 2016, 1:06:24 PM3/11/16
On Friday, March 11, 2016 at 10:03:04 AM UTC+8, Quadibloc wrote:
> The human player noted that he made a mistake during that first game, so
> presumably he will be more careful during the rest of the match.

No, he lost the second game too.

> Still, for the Go champion to be defeated by a giant machine, like Deep Thought
> was, at a time when the world chess champion can be beaten by any ordinary PC
> still shows that Go is indeed harder than Chess.

You're spacing out again. "Giant machine"? Like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAbZzdalZh4

or (best, start at 38:18): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwqLWGibwDY

They might be Giants! boy... (best sung after Super Bowls XLII and XLVI)

> As to people still playing either game - well, it depends on one's tastes, and
> in Japan, at least, Go is an acquired cultural taste.

Says the tasteless man.

> Also, with _komidashi_, Go recovered from what *its* Steinitz, Shusaku, had
> done to it. Chess still hasn't bounced back, and so with rare exceptions, chess
> is not much of a spectator sport. Yes, Go matches are actually exciting to
> people who like that sort of thing - the way chess matches were in the days of Anderssen and Kieseritzky.

You mean unsound sacrifices?

> John Savard

I can practically hear the food falling out of your mouth as you speak.

RL

"They might be fake, they might be lies, they might be big, big fake fake lies"....They might be giants (boy) [repeating]

raylopez99

Mar 12, 2016, 9:20:06 AM3/12/16
On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 2:06:24 AM UTC+8, raylopez99 wrote:

> No, he lost the second game too.

And the third game, and the match. At least Kasparov kept his match against the machine close. Either Lee Se-dol choked, or AlphaGo is stronger than people anticipated (even myself).

RL

vtview...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2016, 3:22:13 PM3/14/16
And now a Go player has beaten the machine

raylopez99

Mar 17, 2016, 1:21:35 AM3/17/16
On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 3:22:13 AM UTC+8, vtview...@gmail.com wrote:

> And now a Go player has beaten the machine

Blind squirrel finds a nut. The margin for defeat for Kasparov was much smaller.

RL

Euclides Zoto

Mar 22, 2016, 7:22:39 PM3/22/16
raylopez99 wrote:

> I remember when Usenet had a GO forum (seems to have disappeared) I trolled them after Deep Blue won vs Kasparov, telling them their turn was next, and how smug and sanctimonious they were, saying it will never happen due to GO's complexity, mystical nature and other such nonsense. Ignorant peasants. Their game is rubble now, and the difference is: chess has a rich pedigree and will continue, while their game will be lost into the dustbin of history. Who wants to play a game of pattern recogni

I doubt that will happen. Yes they were very arrogant but it was only a
matter of time. However GO will go on and just like chess. I like GO
and it will always be a game between people and it will not affect the
game. Just like chess we still have the candidates tournament a world
champion and so on. Unfortunately now they will have to look out for
cheaters in major tournments but again like chess Go will still be a
great game.

EZoto

Quadibloc

Mar 25, 2016, 9:27:19 AM3/25/16
On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 5:22:39 PM UTC-6, Euclides Zoto wrote:
> Unfortunately now they will have to look out for
> cheaters in major tournments but again like chess Go will still be a
> great game.

Not now. Soon. But not just yet.

It took some time after the Deep Blue - Kasparov match before chess programs
running on computers ordinary people could afford could beat the World
Champion, as is the case today.

And _nowadays_ Dennart Scaling is dead, and even Moore's Law is in trouble.
Computers aren't all that much faster than they were five years ago. So it may
be several years - even a decade (or more!) before a Go program running on a
smartphone will be good enough to help a cheater at a serious Go tournament.

John Savard

Euclides Zoto

Apr 2, 2016, 4:38:15 PM4/2/16
But at serious GO tournaments they will eventually be as strict as they
are today in chess tournaments. I believe the rule is still in place
that if you bring your smartphone into the tournament room and it goes
off then you lose the game by forfeit. The rules in chess now are very
strict so I believe GO will have to go that same route in chess.

EZoto