Play it Safe or Go For It?

AAr3172534

Jun 21, 2001, 12:23:53 AM6/21/01
We talk about risking cold contracts for overtricks in other threads (and it is
usually good advice to not do that), but I have another question.

When, in the differenent scoring systems (primarily MPs, IMPs, and Rubber), and
different contract types (Part score, Game, and Slam; Undoubled and Doubled),
and different vulnerability should I play it safe for Down One, and when should
I risk going Down Two to make the contract? Is it usually better to go for the
contract or play it safe for Down One?

Just wondering. Thanks!

DavJFlower

Jun 21, 2001, 5:01:55 AM6/21/01

Firstly, you must ask the question whether the chance of making is illusory -
are you playing opponents for cards totally inconsistent with their bidding or
play ?

From now on, I'll assume that the choice is between a sure down 1, and a 50-50
making/down 2 situation.

At rubber bridge and IMPs, always go for the contract.

At match points it is more interesting, as it depends on what is happening at
other tables. Try to assess what sort of score down 1 will give you - if it is
lousy, then you have to play to make, but if it is good (especially if down 2
is bad), play safe for one off.
Vulnerability is key. If you are vulnerable, down 2 is rarely a good score, but
down 1 will be OK if the opponents can make a part score. However,
non-vulnerable, there is rarely a big difference between down 1 and down 2.

Hope this helps,

Dave Flower