gridgammon still exists?

mu...@compuplus.net

Jan 14, 2015, 1:53:36 AM1/14/15
After seeing a reference to it, I visited gridgammon.com
to see that it's only a link to download a software from
2008.

I remember a discussion about it here a couple of years
ago. I think I had wanted to play there and had someone
invite me but got sidetracked and forgot about it before
even signing up.

If it's still in operation, could someone invite me again
(use "register @ inbox.com" if an email address is needed).

Thanks.

MK

michae...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2015, 5:34:27 AM1/14/15
Just send them an email with this content:

-NO, I DON'T WANT TO REGISTER at Gridgammon, because I have my pride and personal dignity.

a)You ignore the vast majority of applications, and you provide absolutely no reason for that.
b)you are an exclusive club with unknown rules and shadow practices.
c)Because you require personal information
d)Because you are a Nationalist club giving priority to applications from a specific Nation
e)Because it takes just a few days to accept members from a specific nation, whereas it takes 6 months or more to juuuuust possibly accept applications from other nations.
f)Because you never reply and never offer any reason for rejecting applications.
g)Because you have absolutely no support.
h)Because your admin never replies to online messages
h)Because you shut down the server at will, and for prolonged periods, without caring to even inform anyone.
h)Because you ask for someone to reference people. You never expose who that someone should be.. You in practice promote axx licking.
h)Because although you got a reputation that the best players play there, you in practice reject applications from the best players for reasons that only YOU know.
i)Because the vast majority of your active members are amateurs just like everywhere else.
j)Because there are better and more democratic BG servers around

Plus a lot of other reasons

michae...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2015, 5:45:41 AM1/14/15
On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 8:53:36 AM UTC+2, mu...@compuplus.net wrote:
You are a strong player right?
You publicly announced that you oppose gambling in BG right?
YOU ARE REJECTED!! Forget it.

You should have suspected that every "free" BG server has an agenda Murat....

mu...@compuplus.net

Jan 15, 2015, 3:16:31 AM1/15/15
On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 3:45:41 AM UTC-7, michae...@gmail.com wrote:

> You are a strong player right?
> You publicly announced that you oppose gambling in BG right?
> YOU ARE REJECTED!! Forget it.
>
> You should have suspected that every "free" BG server has an
> agenda Murat....

Free or paid, I look at them as places where gamblers hustle
beginners to play for money, to give lessons, to sell their
bots and books, etc...

Too bad... :(

MK

mu...@compuplus.net

Jan 15, 2015, 3:11:52 AM1/15/15
On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 3:34:27 AM UTC-7, michae...@gmail.com wrote:

> Just send them an email with this content:
>
> -NO, I DON'T WANT TO REGISTER at Gridgammon, because I have my pride and personal dignity.
>
> a)You ignore the vast majority of applications, and you provide absolutely no reason for that.
> b)you are an exclusive club with unknown rules and shadow practices.
> c)Because you require personal information
> d)Because you are a Nationalist club giving priority to applications from a specific Nation
> e)Because it takes just a few days to accept members from a specific nation, whereas it takes 6 months or more to juuuuust possibly accept applications from other nations.
> f)Because you never reply and never offer any reason for rejecting applications.
> g)Because you have absolutely no support.
> h)Because your admin never replies to online messages
> h)Because you shut down the server at will, and for prolonged periods, without caring to even inform anyone.
> h)Because you ask for someone to reference people. You never expose who that someone should be.. You in practice promote axx licking.
> h)Because although you got a reputation that the best players play there, you in practice reject applications from the best players for reasons that only YOU know.
> i)Because the vast majority of your active members are amateurs just like everywhere else.
> j)Because there are better and more democratic BG servers around
>
> Plus a lot of other reasons

Are they the same bunch as at BGonline or even more elite ones
who subscribe to paid blogs?

But why do they keep talking about making BG more popular then??

I was wondering about what kind of personalities are those BG
gambling bunch. For a couple of winters, I had thought about
going to some live events. I had free mileage tickets and it
would be good to break the winter monotony. Plus I was always
curious to find out how I would do against humans vs. bots.
But each time I talked myself out of the idea because I didn't
really want to mingle with a bunch of conceited gamblers and
ruin my mood... So maybe I did the right thing...?? :(

MK

michae...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2015, 8:13:34 AM1/15/15
On Thursday, January 15, 2015 at 10:11:52 AM UTC+2, mu...@compuplus.net wrote:

> Are they the same bunch as at BGonline or even more elite ones
> who subscribe to paid blogs?
>
> But why do they keep talking about making BG more popular then??
>
> I was wondering about what kind of personalities are those BG
> gambling bunch. For a couple of winters, I had thought about
> going to some live events. I had free mileage tickets and it
> would be good to break the winter monotony. Plus I was always
> curious to find out how I would do against humans vs. bots.
> But each time I talked myself out of the idea because I didn't
> really want to mingle with a bunch of conceited gamblers and
> ruin my mood... So maybe I did the right thing...?? :(
>
> MK

We cannot generalize by saying that those at BGonline are those who play at Gridgammon. Some of them do, some of them don't.
Imo Gridgammon is just part of the "grid" that circulates money via the USBGfed.

Tournaments are very costly especially if you have to travel by plane, stay at hotel etc. Gamblers do concentrate there of course, but I don't think even the winner ever gets even.If you have spare money to spend on a vacation of this type that's fine by me, otherwise better spend it on a standard traveling around the world,-more fascinating, more of a lifetime experience both for you and your family.

I personally play at playOK, the agenda there is different, they make money from advertisements. It was an almost excellent server until recently when they discovered the fact that more than 80% of the participants are actually amateurs that need encouragement to stay.
What this encouragement could be? Here's the most recent example:
Take it as a quiz if you like, guess the sequence of the next 4 rolls for O to get a lightning backgammon.

GNU Backgammon Position ID: bdsKEgA+AAAgAA
Match ID : EQHgAAAAAAAE
+12-11-10--9--8--7-------6--5--4--3--2--1-+ O:
| X X | O | O | OO 0 points
| | | O | OO On roll
| | | O | OO
| | | O | OO
| | | O | O
^| |BAR| | 7 point match
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | X X X X X |
| X X | | X X X X X X | 0 points
+13-14-15-16-17-18------19-20-21-22-23-24-+ X:(Cube: 2)
Pip counts : O 35, X 84

mu...@compuplus.net

Jan 16, 2015, 4:15:07 PM1/16/15
On Thursday, January 15, 2015 at 6:13:34 AM UTC-7, michae...@gmail.com wrote:

> We cannot generalize by saying that those at BGonline
> are those who play at Gridgammon. Some of them do, some
> of them don't.

Who owns/operates it? What makes them and the players
there so oblivious to any outside criticism??

> Imo Gridgammon is just part of the "grid" that circulates
> money via the USBGfed.

So, a handful of hustlers having a private party and
taking advantage of beginners they admit into the
"closet", without any public interference..??

> I personally play at playOK, the agenda there is different,
> they make money from advertisements. It was an almost
> excellent server until recently when they discovered the
> fact that more than 80% of the participants are actually
> amateurs that need encouragement to stay.

The same is probably true for any server and in fact
for bots also. If a bot cheats a little, in order to
teach its humanling opponents to play better, it's all
for a good cause, right..?? ;)

MK

Michael Petch

Jan 16, 2015, 5:19:48 PM1/16/15
On 2015-01-16 2:15 PM, mu...@compuplus.net wrote:
> So, a handful of hustlers having a private party and
> taking advantage of beginners they admit into the
> "closet", without any public interference..??

I should probably point out Gridgammon doesn't have money play. So the
only thing up for grabs between a beginner and WC play who choose to
play each other is ratings or ego stroking.

michae...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2015, 9:07:23 AM1/17/15
On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 12:19:48 AM UTC+2, Michael Petch wrote:

> I should probably point out Gridgammon doesn't have money play. So the
> only thing up for grabs between a beginner and WC play who choose to
> play each other is ratings or ego stroking.

You almost convinced us that Gridgammon is just a benevolent site M. Petch with no agenda whatsoever :-)))

michae...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2015, 9:12:53 AM1/17/15
Just ask yourself why they need your real name and address before they even look at your application. What do they check out after having your real name and address?? Your credit card? Hmmm possibly but I don't think so. What then? ;-)

Michael Petch

Jan 17, 2015, 11:31:11 AM1/17/15
On 2015-01-17 7:12 AM, michae...@gmail.com wrote:
> Just ask yourself why they need your real name and address before they even look at your application. What do they check out after having your real name and address?? Your credit card? Hmmm possibly but I don't think so. What then?

Passes Michael the tinfoil. Maybe it is as simple as trying to keep
people off that are not wanted (cheaters like Hank Youngerman come to
mind) and making sure that people have no more than one account on the site.

michae...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2015, 3:22:51 PM1/17/15
On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 6:31:11 PM UTC+2, Michael Petch wrote:

> Passes Michael the tinfoil. Maybe it is as simple as trying to keep
> people off that are not wanted (cheaters like Hank Youngerman come to
> mind) and making sure that people have no more than one account on the site.

Yes it could be as simple as that. In which case 99.9% of any new applicants (having been referenced by an existing member or Bg Federation) should have been approved. Is that what really happens M.Petch?

Michael Petch

Jan 17, 2015, 5:30:18 PM1/17/15
On 2015-01-17 1:22 PM, michae...@gmail.com wrote:
> Is that what really happens M.Petch?

Since I don't have the responsibility of making those decisions, and I
don't actually know how many apply and how many get accepted I can't
say. When I use to to refer people I knew all of them got in. Sometimes
after a few weeks but non were denied. It is possible people choose not
to give all the information that is asked, rejected because of who they
are, or maybe they just fell through the cracks.

You have no evidence to make the claims you have been making on this
forum either. If you have issues might I suggest contacting Gabriella?

Disclosure: I don't work for Gamesgrid, I am just a player. In the past
I have done referrals. Beyond that I have no knowledge of Gamesgrid
business and membership operations.

michae...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2015, 6:31:30 PM1/17/15
On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 12:30:18 AM UTC+2, Michael Petch wrote:

> Since I don't have the responsibility of making those decisions, and I
> don't actually know how many apply and how many get accepted I can't
> say. When I use to to refer people I knew all of them got in. Sometimes
> after a few weeks but non were denied. It is possible people choose not
> to give all the information that is asked, rejected because of who they
> are, or maybe they just fell through the cracks.
>
> You have no evidence to make the claims you have been making on this
> forum either. If you have issues might I suggest contacting Gabriella?
>
> Disclosure: I don't work for Gamesgrid, I am just a player. In the past
> I have done referrals. Beyond that I have no knowledge of Gamesgrid
> business and membership operations.

I actually have evidence for most of my claims. She never replied to my emails. She never responded to any of my online messages. They did not approve not even one of the about 10 friends I proposed. Hence I abandoned it.
Isn't it true that they closed down the server just recently without informing anyone? Isn't it true that there is absolutely no information "about us" anywhere?

michae...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2015, 6:45:36 PM1/17/15
And you just provided the proof that to be accepted one has to be proposed by "someone special". Preferably American...

Simon Woodhead

Jan 17, 2015, 6:53:53 PM1/17/15
On 18/01/2015 9:45 AM, michae...@gmail.com wrote:

> And you just provided the proof that to be accepted one has to be
> proposed by "someone special". Preferably American...

Blatantly rude and untrue.

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 17, 2015, 7:22:55 PM1/17/15
I wouldn't want to be part of any club that would accept me as a member.

--bks

Michael Petch

Jan 17, 2015, 7:59:20 PM1/17/15
On 2015-01-17 4:45 PM, michae...@gmail.com wrote:
> And you just provided the proof that to be accepted one has to be proposed by "someone special". Preferably American...

Did you ask Gabriella to be a referrer? I know in the past they didn't
take referrals through just anyone - usually people that were trusted or
GG management knew. Maybe that changed.

I had a policy that if I were to refer someone it was someone I actually
knew and would have no issue vouching for. I know some other respected
referrers were willing to refer anyone who asked.

I didn't start referring out of the blue. I did contact Gabriella about
doing referrals.

Michael Petch

Jan 17, 2015, 8:00:26 PM1/17/15
On 2015-01-17 4:53 PM, Simon Woodhead wrote:
> And you just provided the proof that to be accepted one has to be
>> proposed by "someone special". Preferably American...

No, but what I am suggesting is that GG may not take referrals from just
anybody. And there is nothing wrong in that.

Michael Petch

Jan 17, 2015, 8:09:55 PM1/17/15
On 2015-01-17 4:45 PM, michae...@gmail.com wrote:
> And you just provided the proof that to be accepted one has to be proposed by "someone special". Preferably American...

If there was someone desperate to get on GG By mid February I'd actually
direct them at someone with a fast track for referrals. They aren't part
of the USBGF and they aren't even in the US.

There is a team event called Esprit played by players on SHG and GG.
Some players won't play anywhere other than GG so if you sign up for the
event you can inform the host you don't have a GG account and they'll
arrange to get you one. This has been true in the past.

http://www.warpgammon.com

You could consider them special because they run tournaments that
require players to get on GG. I don't see problems in that either.

mu...@compuplus.net

Jan 17, 2015, 9:10:02 PM1/17/15
On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 4:31:30 PM UTC-7, michae...@gmail.com wrote:

> Isn't it true that they closed down the server just
> recently without informing anyone? Isn't it true that
> there is absolutely no information "about us" anywhere?

Who are these people? Person/s? For/non profit corporation?
Association? Organization?

Do they pay taxes?

Maybe they are trying to make sure no FBI agent sneaks in?

Talking about that, has anybody reported them to FBI's as
suspicious entity/activity??

Why does USBGF associated itself with such a secretive
entity/operation??

I suppose they have a right to be an exclusive group but
shouldn't they at least disclose who/what they are, what
is their mission/operation, their rules/bylaws, etc...??

With all those self-declared professional gamblers involved,
I would eye them with suspicion than not...

Maybe it's time to stir the "pot"? ;)

MK

MK

Michael Petch

Jan 17, 2015, 10:09:34 PM1/17/15
On 2015-01-17 4:31 PM, michae...@gmail.com wrote:
> Isn't it true that they closed down the server just recently without informing anyone? Isn't it true that there is absolutely no information "about us" anywhere?

They replaced all the hardware on the back end and they didn't ask for
any money from the users to cover the costs.

If you emailed support you would have received an auto-responder that
Grid Gammon was down for repair.

It was advertised on bgonline.org and a Facebook group was created by
Leonardo (and I helped maintain it) that gave updates on GridGammon
status providing information of the type of work that was being done:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/327317570791979/

I never complained because I haven't paid money to them in about 12 years.

michae...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2015, 5:46:13 AM1/18/15
On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 2:59:20 AM UTC+2, Michael Petch wrote:

> Did you ask Gabriella to be a referrer? I know in the past they didn't
> take referrals through just anyone - usually people that were trusted or
> GG management knew. Maybe that changed.
>
> I had a policy that if I were to refer someone it was someone I actually
> knew and would have no issue vouching for. I know some other respected
> referrers were willing to refer anyone who asked.
>
> I didn't start referring out of the blue. I did contact Gabriella about
> doing referrals.

It seems you did not read carefully what I wrote. I contacted her tens of times both when I saw she was online at Gridgammon and separately via emails. She NEVER responded.
On the other hand everybody assumes that has to be polite and respectful at Gridgammon, the vast majority of players say "hello good luck" at the beginning of the match as well as "thanks for the match" at the end etc.

I hope you understand that refusing to reply or ignoring any member or even a new applicant is not polite and contradictory to the ethics that most members stand for.

And no, I never knew you need a permission to become a referrer.How would I know? There is no information available anywhere. I received no reply to my messages... Just out of curiosity what should be the credentials of a person to be accepted as referrer?
I am sure a president of a National BG Federation would qualify, isn't it?

gfko...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2017, 4:50:48 PM10/15/17
Come play at www.SimplyBG.com , a good alternative to GridGammon , Money Play Rules, Match Play, Tournaments, Cube, ELOs, auto saved matches, full support, clubs support, match exports to eXtreme, GNUbg, Snowie, JellyFish.