(OT) Ebola Endgame

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 29, 2015, 9:04:01 AM1/29/15

<http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/29/ebola-outbreak-response-enters-endgame>

| 2014 Lie of the Year: Exaggerations about Ebola
| Yet fear of the disease stretched to every corner of
| America this fall, stoked by exaggerated claims from
| politicians and pundits. They said Ebola was easy to catch,
| that illegal immigrants may be carrying the virus across
| the southern border, that it was all part of a government
| or corporate conspiracy.
|
| The claims -- all wrong -- distorted the debate about a
| serious public health issue. Together, they earn our Lie of
| the Year for 2014.
|
| PolitiFact editors choose the Lie of the Year, in part,
| based on how broadly a myth or falsehood infiltrates
| conventional thinking.
< http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2014/dec/15/2014-lie-year-exaggerations-about-ebola/>

--bks

VegasJerry

Jan 29, 2015, 9:24:28 AM1/29/15
Looks like President Obama's Ebola Czar did a great job.

Thank you, President Obama.

Bea Foroni

Jan 29, 2015, 11:57:40 AM1/29/15
I think this is the perfect litmus test for correct thinking. Those who were predicting the end of the world are the ones lead around like a bull with a ring in his nose. Those who thought it was no big thing here, are those who can cut through the bullshit.

Benghazi

WMD

Death panels

Birth certificate

And on and on and on...

fred1...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2015, 12:19:49 PM1/29/15
Ran out of examples after four, I see. Better luck failing next time :)

Bea Foroni

Jan 29, 2015, 12:44:20 PM1/29/15
Muslim President

Gun 'rights'

War on Christmas

Gay agenda

VegasJerry

Jan 29, 2015, 3:20:10 PM1/29/15
On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 9:19:49 AM UTC-8, fred1...@gmail.com wrote:
It only takes one. (And off you run).

risky biz

Jan 29, 2015, 8:43:25 PM1/29/15
On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 9:19:49 AM UTC-8, fred1...@gmail.com wrote:
You're the best example she forgot, 'fred'. Without dimwits like you there wouldn't be a Republican Party.

Pepe Papon

Jan 30, 2015, 1:30:47 AM1/30/15
On 29 Jan 2015 09:03:56 -0500, b...@panix.com (Bradley K. Sherman)
wrote:
They have an odd definition of "lie". A lie is not merely a
statement that turns out to be false.
--

Pepe Papon

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 30, 2015, 8:37:58 AM1/30/15
Pepe Papon <hitme...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>> | 2014 Lie of the Year: Exaggerations about Ebola
>><
>http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2014/dec/15/2014-lie-year-exaggerations-about-ebola/>
>
>They have an odd definition of "lie". A lie is not merely a
>statement that turns out to be false.

You have in mind, apparently, a very specific definition of "lie".
That specificity is *not* justified by the various dictionary
definitions. For example, from an old, non-digital Webster's on
my desk:

3. Anything which misleads or disappoints.

In addition to the long article excerpted above, Politifact
had a second column dedictated to discussion of the choice:

<http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2014/dec/22/mailbag-lie-year-edition-2014/>

--bks

fffurken

Jan 30, 2015, 1:33:50 PM1/30/15
lol You still don't know what a lie is.

risky biz

Jan 30, 2015, 1:59:51 PM1/30/15
An excellent example can be seen by watching what you type.

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 30, 2015, 4:21:40 PM1/30/15
fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>lol You still don't know what a lie is.

LOL^max, I'm the one who gave a dictionary definition.

--bks

fffurken

Jan 30, 2015, 5:08:49 PM1/30/15
Do you know what the difference between a lie and a falsehood is? Do you remember any of this?

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 30, 2015, 5:17:44 PM1/30/15
fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On Friday, January 30, 2015 at 9:21:40 PM UTC, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
>> fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >lol You still don't know what a lie is.
>>
>> LOL^max, I'm the one who gave a dictionary definition.
>
>Do you know what the difference between a lie and a falsehood is? Do you
>remember any of this?

Of course I remember. It was a case where I not only
correctly cited the dictionary but *gave links to the
etymology* of the word! Words have various connotations.
You cannot seize upon one and say "this is the one true
definition". That's not the way that language works.

Here's a second citation, from online Mirriam-Webster:

| 2: to create a false or misleading impression

<http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lie>

The exact same wording is found in _Chambers 21st Century
Dictionary_ which is a dictionary of British usage, and
thus there will be no special pleading based on geography.

Le mot juste.

--bks

fffurken

Jan 30, 2015, 5:23:45 PM1/30/15
On Friday, January 30, 2015 at 10:17:44 PM UTC, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
> fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> LOL^max, I'm the one who gave a dictionary definition.
> >
> >Do you know what the difference between a lie and a falsehood is? Do you
> >remember any of this?
>
> Of course I remember.

Just checking, you're not getting any younger you know.

> It was a case where I not only
> correctly cited the dictionary but *gave links to the
> etymology* of the word! Words have various connotations.
> You cannot seize upon one and say "this is the one true
> definition". That's not the way that language works.
>
> Here's a second citation, from online Mirriam-Webster:
> |
> | 2: to create a false or misleading impression
> |
> <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lie>
>
> The exact same wording is found in _Chambers 21st Century
> Dictionary_ which is a dictionary of British usage, and
> thus there will be no special pleading based on geography.

So you don't know what the difference is, is that what you're saying?

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 30, 2015, 5:30:08 PM1/30/15
fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>So you don't know what the difference is, is that what you're saying?

Not at all, I'm saying that *you* don't. I'm the one providing
chapter and verse. You're just waving your digits.

--bks

fffurken

Jan 30, 2015, 5:33:31 PM1/30/15
On Friday, January 30, 2015 at 10:30:08 PM UTC, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
> fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >So you don't know what the difference is, is that what you're saying?
>
> Not at all, I'm saying that *you* don't.

OK, what's the difference then?

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 30, 2015, 6:07:51 PM1/30/15
Asked and answered. You're like FL Turbo in that you demand an
answer, and then, when you get one, you declare it, ex cathedra,
wrong. Also, like FL Turbo, *you refuse to state the correct answer*.

So why don't you state the difference, and enlighten us all.
Here, I'll get you started with another British dictionary:
<http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/falsehood>

Oh, wait. That seems to imply that the definition of
"falsehood" is "lie". How confusing that must be for you.
Perhaps a quick trip to Oxbridge to set those mugs straight
is in order when you're done setting me straight.

--bks

fffurken

Jan 30, 2015, 6:32:16 PM1/30/15
On Friday, January 30, 2015 at 11:07:51 PM UTC, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
> fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Not at all, I'm saying that *you* don't.
> >
> >OK, what's the difference then?
>
> Asked and answered.

Are you serious? Really? Here -

Of course I remember. It was a case where I not only
correctly cited the dictionary but *gave links to the
etymology* of the word! Words have various connotations.
You cannot seize upon one and say "this is the one true
definition". That's not the way that language works.

Here's a second citation, from online Mirriam-Webster:

| 2: to create a false or misleading impression

<http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lie>

The exact same wording is found in _Chambers 21st Century
Dictionary_ which is a dictionary of British usage, and
thus there will be no special pleading based on geography.

Le mot juste.

--bks

lol That's mostly just fucking waffle.

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 30, 2015, 6:36:04 PM1/30/15
In article <f76da7d0-896c-46fe...@googlegroups.com>,
fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On Friday, January 30, 2015 at 11:07:51 PM UTC, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
>> fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> >OK, what's the difference then?
>>
>> Asked and answered.
>
>Are you serious?

Yes. As I said, you're pulling a FL Turbo. I've
answered the question twice and provided chapter
and verse. You just keep dodging and weaving.

--bks

fffurken

Jan 30, 2015, 6:49:31 PM1/30/15
Looks like about 94% of my post went missing there Cla.. eh, I mean Bradley.

Look, in a sentence or two, in your own words, describe what you think the difference is between a 'lie' and a 'falsehood'?

I could do that easily.

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 30, 2015, 7:03:59 PM1/30/15
fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Look, in a sentence or two, in your own words, describe what you think
>the difference is between a 'lie' and a 'falsehood'?

They are synomns in both British and American English, as
demonstrated by two American English dictionaries and two
British English dictionaries. Let's demonstrate with an
example: On 21 September 2014 fffurken wrote:

"This is my last post on RGP."

That is a lie and that is a falsehood.

--bks

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 30, 2015, 7:05:25 PM1/30/15
Sorry, typo, they are "synonyms".

--bks

fffurken

Jan 30, 2015, 7:17:35 PM1/30/15
On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 12:03:59 AM UTC, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
> fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Look, in a sentence or two, in your own words, describe what you think
> >the difference is between a 'lie' and a 'falsehood'?
>
> They are synomns in both British and American English

But what's the difference?

You said you knew this, and I don't, but yet you can't seem to sum it up in a sentence or two in your own words which I would find very easy.

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 30, 2015, 7:23:35 PM1/30/15
In article <0d344a5c-8ff0-4dde...@googlegroups.com>,
fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 12:03:59 AM UTC, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
>> fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >Look, in a sentence or two, in your own words, describe what you think
>> >the difference is between a 'lie' and a 'falsehood'?
>>
>> They are synomns in both British and American English
>
>But what's the difference?

"Lie" has three letters and "falsehood" has nine letters.

"Falsehood" derives from the Frisian "falshede". "Lie"
derives from the Old English "legan."

"Lie" has a homonymn meaning to be in a horizontal position,
"falsehood" has no homonyms.

--bks

fffurken

Jan 30, 2015, 7:43:03 PM1/30/15
Do you know what the difference between a verb and a noun is?

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 30, 2015, 8:02:58 PM1/30/15
fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Do you know what the difference between a verb and a noun is?

Of course, let's look at an example:

On 21 September 2014 fffurken wrote:
"This is my last post on RGP."

In the example there are two verbs, "wrote" and "is". Counting
the nouns is not so definite as "21 September 2014" can be
counted as one or as three nouns. Other nouns are "fffurken",
"post" and "RGP".

Regardless, the sentence in quotations is a lie and it is
a falsehood. When ffurken wrote it, he was lying and he
was telling a falsehood.

The very fact that ffurken keeps asking questions, while
refusing to answer any, is tantamount to an admission
that he lied and that he told a falsehood.

Hope that helps!

--bks

fffurken

Jan 30, 2015, 8:19:33 PM1/30/15
On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 1:02:58 AM UTC, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:

> Regardless, the sentence in quotations is a lie and it is
> a falsehood.

But what is the *difference* between a 'lie' and a 'falsehood', which is what I keep on asking you repeatedly but to no avail.

And apparently you know and I don't. Amazing.

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 30, 2015, 8:38:21 PM1/30/15
fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 1:02:58 AM UTC, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
>
>> Regardless, the sentence in quotations is a lie and it is
>> a falsehood.
>
>But what is the *difference* between a 'lie' and a 'falsehood', which is
>what I keep on asking you repeatedly but to no avail.

You're a knave and a liar. But you're probably too drunk to care.

--bks

fffurken

Jan 30, 2015, 9:02:04 PM1/30/15
On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 1:38:21 AM UTC, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
> fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 1:02:58 AM UTC, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
> >
> >> Regardless, the sentence in quotations is a lie and it is
> >> a falsehood.
> >
> >But what is the *difference* between a 'lie' and a 'falsehood', which is
> >what I keep on asking you repeatedly but to no avail.
>
> You're a knave and a liar.

What have I lied about? In my world, accusing someone of being a liar is extremely insulting.

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 30, 2015, 9:06:46 PM1/30/15
fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>What have I lied about?

What haven't you lied about?

--bks

fffurken

Jan 30, 2015, 9:12:47 PM1/30/15
What is the *difference* between a 'lie' and a 'falsehood', which is what I keep on asking you repeatedly but to no avail?

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 30, 2015, 9:16:47 PM1/30/15
When you say "to no avail" you are lying. Every post you've
made in this thread has contained at least one similar falsehood.
You are a liar, a teller of falsehoods, and a knave.

--bks

fffurken

Jan 30, 2015, 9:25:49 PM1/30/15
On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 2:16:47 AM UTC, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
> fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> What haven't you lied about?
> >
> >What is the *difference* between a 'lie' and a 'falsehood', which is
> >what I keep on asking you repeatedly but to no avail?
>
> When you say "to no avail" you are lying.

I'm not lying you idiot, I'm still waiting for you to answer the question.

What is the difference between a 'lie' and a 'falsehood'?

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 30, 2015, 9:28:17 PM1/30/15
fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>What is the difference between a 'lie' and a 'falsehood'?

Asked and answered thrice. You are a liar, a knave, a
teller of falsehoods, a boor and a bore.

--bks

fffurken

Jan 30, 2015, 9:31:20 PM1/30/15
On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 2:28:17 AM UTC, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
> fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >What is the difference between a 'lie' and a 'falsehood'?
>
> Asked and answered thrice.

Well then repeat it once more here.

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 30, 2015, 9:41:31 PM1/30/15
fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 2:28:17 AM UTC, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
>> fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >What is the difference between a 'lie' and a 'falsehood'?
>>
>> Asked and answered thrice.
>
>Well then repeat it once more here.

Why?

--bks

fffurken

Jan 30, 2015, 9:47:30 PM1/30/15
On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 2:41:31 AM UTC, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
> fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Asked and answered thrice.
> >
> >Well then repeat it once more here.
>
> Why?

So you can prove that you're not full of shit.

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 30, 2015, 10:05:05 PM1/30/15
fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 2:41:31 AM UTC, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
>> fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> >Well then repeat it once more here.
>>
>> Why?
>
>So you can prove that you're not full of shit.

Sorry, that burden is now yours. You've told so many
lies that you must now prove that you can tell the truth.

--bks

Clave

Jan 30, 2015, 10:14:38 PM1/30/15

"Bradley K. Sherman" <b...@panix.com> wrote in message
And good luck with that.

fffurken

Jan 30, 2015, 10:25:43 PM1/30/15
On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 3:05:05 AM UTC, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
> fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> Why?
> >
> >So you can prove that you're not full of shit.
>
> Sorry, that burden is now yours. You've told so many
> lies that you must now prove that you can tell the truth.
>
> --bks

What's the *difference* between a 'lie' and a 'falsehood', which is what I keep on asking you repeatedly but to no avail?

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 30, 2015, 10:30:03 PM1/30/15
fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>What's the *difference* between a 'lie' and a 'falsehood', which is what
>I keep on asking you repeatedly but to no avail?

I don't think that "keep on asking you repeatedly" is proper
English. Can you strive to be a tad less redundant?

--bks

fffurken

Jan 30, 2015, 10:48:56 PM1/30/15
On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 3:30:03 AM UTC, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
> fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >What's the *difference* between a 'lie' and a 'falsehood', which is what
> >I keep on asking you repeatedly but to no avail?
>
> I don't think that "keep on asking you repeatedly" is proper
> English.

Of course it's "proper English" and of course I knew there was a redundancy involved. You don't seem to realise that I realise what I write before I write it and before the likes of you *ever* has a clue.

Now, you're all ad hom'd out so let's go for it, last chance -

"What's the *difference* between a 'lie' and a 'falsehood'"?

In your own words, and by a contemporary definition?

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 30, 2015, 11:01:21 PM1/30/15
fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>"What's the *difference* between a 'lie' and a 'falsehood'"?
>In your own words, and by a contemporary definition?

Asked and answered thrice, O Liar. With cited contemporary
definitions. Waiting for you to tell us what the whispering
voices in your head are telling you about this fascinating
dichotomy. Waiting with bated breath, but not holding my
breath; do you understand the distinction?

--bks

fffurken

Jan 30, 2015, 11:22:40 PM1/30/15
lol

What the fuck are you talking about?

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 30, 2015, 11:41:40 PM1/30/15
fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>What the fuck are you talking about?

It's still up there in the Subject line, Pinocchio.

--bks

fffurken

Jan 30, 2015, 11:49:38 PM1/30/15
Nope.

Subject line -

"(OT) Ebola Endgame"

fffurken

Jan 30, 2015, 11:51:41 PM1/30/15
Btw, I have decided in my own head that you're completely fucking crazy.

Seek help.

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 30, 2015, 11:57:01 PM1/30/15
fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 4:41:40 AM UTC, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
>> fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>> It's still up there in the Subject line, Pinocchio.
>
>Nope.
>
>Subject line -
>
>"(OT) Ebola Endgame"

Yup, that's *my* subject line. That's what *I* am talking about.
What everyone wants to know is what *you* are talking about,
and why you're telling so many lies on the way to making
your point, if you have one, which liars like you usually don't.

--bks

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 30, 2015, 11:59:29 PM1/30/15
fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Btw, I have decided in my own head that you're completely fucking crazy.

Yes, something peculiar is going on in your own head.
Perhaps it's about to explode?

--bks

| The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not
| believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else.

<George Bernard Shaw>

fffurken

Jan 30, 2015, 11:59:49 PM1/30/15
On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 4:57:01 AM UTC, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
> fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> It's still up there in the Subject line, Pinocchio.
> >
> >Nope.
> >
> >Subject line -
> >
> >"(OT) Ebola Endgame"
>
> Yup, that's *my* subject line. That's what *I* am talking about.
> What everyone wants to know is what *you* are talking about,
> and why you're telling so many lies on the way to making
> your point, if you have one, which liars like you usually don't.
>
> --bks

I have asked you a simple question which you have refused to answer time and time again. There is only one sensible conclusion.

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 31, 2015, 12:01:11 AM1/31/15
fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I have asked you a simple question which you have refused to answer time
>and time again. There is only one sensible conclusion.

That your head is about to explode?

--bks

| Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and
| expecting different results.

<Albert Einstein>

fffurken

Jan 31, 2015, 12:36:47 AM1/31/15
You have been repeatedly asked.

You have avoided that, you should go away now. That's not a warning.

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 31, 2015, 12:44:10 AM1/31/15
fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>You have been repeatedly asked.

I have repeatedly answered.
You have repeatedly lied.
The symmetry would be pleasing; except for the lying.

--bks

fffurken

Jan 31, 2015, 7:33:26 AM1/31/15

Bea Foroni

Jan 31, 2015, 12:06:02 PM1/31/15
On Friday, January 30, 2015 at 8:59:49 PM UTC-8, fffurken wrote:
> On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 4:57:01 AM UTC, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
> > fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Holy shit! Is there no end to this?

fffurken

Jan 31, 2015, 12:43:23 PM1/31/15
I know it's amazing the way they don't answer questions.

Do YOU know what the difference between a 'lie' and a 'falsehood' is?

jcpickels@nospam

Jan 31, 2015, 1:44:37 PM1/31/15
fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 5:06:02 PM UTC, Bea Foroni wrote:
>>
>> Holy shit! Is there no end to this?
>
> I know it's amazing the way they don't answer questions.
>
> Do YOU know what the difference between a 'lie' and a 'falsehood' is?

Intent to deceive ... let this be the end.

Bea Foroni

Jan 31, 2015, 2:02:22 PM1/31/15
LOL!

fffurken

Jan 31, 2015, 2:17:23 PM1/31/15
On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 7:02:22 PM UTC, Bea Foroni wrote:

> > Do YOU know what the difference between a 'lie' and a 'falsehood' is?
>
> LOL!

No? Fuck me.

I'm surrounded by idiots.

FL Turbo

Jan 31, 2015, 4:16:16 PM1/31/15
On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 23:07:47 +0000 (UTC), b...@panix.com (Bradley K.
Sherman) wrote:

>fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Not at all, I'm saying that *you* don't.
>>
>>OK, what's the difference then?
>
>Asked and answered. You're like FL Turbo in that you demand an
>answer, and then, when you get one, you declare it, ex cathedra,
>wrong. Also, like FL Turbo, *you refuse to state the correct answer*.

You have never answered my original question which was:
Given a rise of 3.2 mm in sea level per year, how many years would it
take to reach a total of 12"

Stop lying, Bradley.

---

fffurken

Jan 31, 2015, 4:35:54 PM1/31/15
On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 9:16:16 PM UTC, FL Turbo wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 23:07:47 +0000 (UTC), b...@panix.com (Bradley K.
> Sherman) wrote:
>
> >fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >>OK, what's the difference then?
> >
> >Asked and answered. You're like FL Turbo in that you demand an
> >answer, and then, when you get one, you declare it, ex cathedra,
> >wrong. Also, like FL Turbo, *you refuse to state the correct answer*.
> >
> You have never answered my original question which was:
> Given a rise of 3.2 mm in sea level per year, how many years would it
> take to reach a total of 12"
>
> Stop lying, Bradley.

Lying is the least of his worries.

Associating me with you is unforgivable.

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 31, 2015, 4:39:31 PM1/31/15
FL Turbo <noe...@notime.com> wrote:
>You have never answered my original question which was:
>Given a rise of 3.2 mm in sea level per year, how many years would it
>take to reach a total of 12"

Asked and answered. When are you going to answer *my* question?

--bks

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 31, 2015, 4:40:13 PM1/31/15
fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 9:16:16 PM UTC, FL Turbo wrote:
>> Stop lying, Bradley.
>
>Lying is the least of his worries.

I *always* tell the truth. Always.

--bks

fffurken

Jan 31, 2015, 4:47:17 PM1/31/15
Do you have a question? I'm sorry, I didn't notice that. Shoot.

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 31, 2015, 4:51:10 PM1/31/15
Fffurkey, now you *must* be drunk. That was a response to Turby!

It is true, however, you also dodged a question. But I'm not
going to repeat it because you'll just keep lying.

--bks

fffurken

Jan 31, 2015, 4:53:28 PM1/31/15
On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 9:51:10 PM UTC, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
> fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Asked and answered. When are you going to answer *my* question?
> >
> >Do you have a question? I'm sorry, I didn't notice that. Shoot.
>
> Fffurkey, now you *must* be drunk. That was a response to Turby!
>
> It is true, however, you also dodged a question.

What was the question?

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 31, 2015, 4:55:00 PM1/31/15
fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 9:51:10 PM UTC, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
>> fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> >Do you have a question? I'm sorry, I didn't notice that. Shoot.
>>
>> Fffurkey, now you *must* be drunk. That was a response to Turby!
>>
>> It is true, however, you also dodged a question.
>
>What was the question?

You first.

--bks

fffurken

Jan 31, 2015, 4:58:17 PM1/31/15
I don't know what your question is, what is it?

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 31, 2015, 4:59:48 PM1/31/15
fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I don't know what your question is, what is it?

You first.

--bks

fffurken

Jan 31, 2015, 5:01:28 PM1/31/15

Pepe Papon

Feb 1, 2015, 2:30:13 AM2/1/15
On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 13:37:55 +0000 (UTC), b...@panix.com (Bradley K.
Sherman) wrote:

>>><
>>http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2014/dec/15/2014-lie-year-exaggerations-about-ebola/>
>>
>>They have an odd definition of "lie". A lie is not merely a
>>statement that turns out to be false.
>
>You have in mind, apparently, a very specific definition of "lie".
>That specificity is *not* justified by the various dictionary
>definitions. For example, from an old, non-digital Webster's on
>my desk:
>
> 3. Anything which misleads or disappoints.

If the weatherman predicts snow, and it rains instead, did the
weatherman lie?
--

Pepe Papon

Pepe Papon

Feb 1, 2015, 2:45:41 AM2/1/15
Even if a woman asks you, "Does this make me look fat"??
--

Pepe Papon

Bradley K. Sherman

Feb 1, 2015, 8:09:10 AM2/1/15
Pepe Papon <hitme...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 13:37:55 +0000 (UTC), b...@panix.com (Bradley K.
>Sherman) wrote:
>> 3. Anything which misleads or disappoints.
>
>If the weatherman predicts snow, and it rains instead, did the
>weatherman lie?

It depends on the exact wording and the exact conditions.
Was he speaking in probabilities? Did it snow at higher
elevations? But it certainly is possible for a weatherman
to lie.

Of course, Ffffurken, and TruthSeeker miss the most difficult
philosophical question about lying:
Suppose Ffffurken thinks the tournament is on Wednesday and
wants TruthSeeker to miss the tournament and tells Truth Seeker,
with clear intent to deceive:
"The tournament is on Thursday."
But one minute before Ffffurken said that, the Casino changed
the tournament to Thursday. So the statement is objectively
true. Did Ffffurken tell a lie, Did Ffffurken tell a falsehood?

There have been discussions of this going back to Herodotus.
To think that the voices in Ffffurken's head know the One
True Answer to the question is the height of conceit.

--bks

fffurken

Feb 1, 2015, 8:33:31 AM2/1/15
lol By all means, fall back on it being a "philosophical question".

What a nincompoop.

Bradley K. Sherman

Feb 1, 2015, 8:46:12 AM2/1/15
fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>lol By all means, fall back on it being a "philosophical question".

Do you feel at all bad about having forged a reply from me, fffurken?
Your lying and profanity are off-putting, but forgery reaches a
new level of mendacity. If you apologize, I will forgive and forget,
but if you just leave it, it will haunt you for the rest of your
rgp life. The decision is yours.

--bks

fffurken

Feb 1, 2015, 9:06:55 AM2/1/15
lol Hysterical drama queen as well as a nincompoop.

You refuse to acknowledge, or you don't know, what the difference is between a 'lie' and a 'falsehood' (even Joe Long could muster it).

Go sit in the stupid corner.

Bradley K. Sherman

Feb 1, 2015, 9:15:03 AM2/1/15
fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 1:46:12 PM UTC, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
>> Do you feel at all bad about having forged a reply from me, fffurken?
>> Your lying and profanity are off-putting, but forgery reaches a
>> new level of mendacity. If you apologize, I will forgive and forget,
>> but if you just leave it, it will haunt you for the rest of your
>> rgp life. The decision is yours.
>
>lol Hysterical drama queen as well as a nincompoop.

Then from this point forward, I will be able to make fffurken's
head explode at will. I will not need a series of devastating
posts, nor a single incisive post, nor a paragraph, a sentence
or a clause, but with a single word: "Forger".

So it shall be written, so it shall be done.

--bks

fffurken

Feb 1, 2015, 9:46:00 AM2/1/15
lol

TruthSeeker

Feb 1, 2015, 12:18:13 PM2/1/15
Dictionary wordings may vary, but IMO an essential component for
something to be a lie is that the person telling or writing it knows it
to be false. When someone states a falsehood that he believes to be
true, he is wrong, he is mistaken, but he is NOT lying.

--
Truthseeker

"Je suis Charlie."

TruthSeeker

Feb 1, 2015, 12:21:10 PM2/1/15
Now there is an interesting point. His intent was clearly to lie but by
the time he told it, it was true. That accident does not make him any
less dishonest, though. Intent matters.

TruthSeeker

Feb 1, 2015, 12:23:39 PM2/1/15
I do not believe there exists a human being anywhere on the planet who
always tells the truth in all circumstances. Which makes the statement
"I always tell the truth" itself a lie.

Bradley K. Sherman

Feb 1, 2015, 12:32:47 PM2/1/15
TruthSeeker <nos...@nofnspam.com> wrote:
>Now there is an interesting point. His intent was clearly to lie but by
>the time he told it, it was true. That accident does not make him any
>less dishonest, though. Intent matters.

Of course intent matters, but discerning intent, is, in reality,
often impossible. Let's take as an example the episode in which
V.P. Dick Cheney shot hunting companion Harry Whittington in the
face. Now, we're talking about two very powerful men, in the
company of two very powerful woman (not their wives).
Whittington had just scored a "double" showing up the egocentric
Cheney. Cheney had been drinking and was on prescription drugs.
Was there intent? I think there was, but I fully admit that it
is impossible to prove. Further, it may have been subconscious
and even *Cheney* might not realize that he intended to shoot
Whittington.

That's an example of why relying on "intent" to discriminate
between "lie" and "falsehood" is totally artificial. You can,
if you like, *posit* such a discriminiant, but there is not
objective basis for it. You're just being arbitrary.

--bks

Bradley K. Sherman

Feb 1, 2015, 12:35:17 PM2/1/15
TruthSeeker <nos...@nofnspam.com> wrote:
>I do not believe there exists a human being anywhere on the planet who
>always tells the truth in all circumstances. Which makes the statement
>"I always tell the truth" itself a lie.

Well here I am. Your unfounded belief has just foundered on the
rock of objective truth.

--bks

fffurken

Feb 1, 2015, 12:47:03 PM2/1/15
This is why people like you shouldn't be allowed anywhere near Wikipedia.

Bradley K. Sherman

Feb 1, 2015, 1:02:58 PM2/1/15
fffurken <fffu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>This is why people like you shouldn't be allowed anywhere near Wikipedia.

I understand that Wikipedia has a big problem with forgers, so
I'll attribute this bizarre statment to your textbook case of
psychological projection.

--bks

fffurken

Feb 1, 2015, 1:04:13 PM2/1/15
And what's the bets this guy has a bigger collection of wizard figurines than Maggot himself?

jcpickels@nospam

Feb 1, 2015, 2:45:53 PM2/1/15
Entirely too correct for our group. We are aboard and this may be my last
or nearly last post (would not want to lie about it).

See everyone in a week.

TruthSeeker

Feb 1, 2015, 6:54:23 PM2/1/15
How, since your claim itself was obviously a lie?

Pepe Papon

Feb 1, 2015, 9:37:01 PM2/1/15
Always telling the truth in all circumstances isn't actually a virtue.
Sometimes, for example, it's proper and appropriate to tell little
white lies in order to be polite and to avoid hurting people's
feelings.
--

Pepe Papon

Pepe Papon

Feb 1, 2015, 9:40:59 PM2/1/15
On Sun, 1 Feb 2015 13:09:07 +0000 (UTC), b...@panix.com (Bradley K.
Sherman) wrote:

>Pepe Papon <hitme...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 13:37:55 +0000 (UTC), b...@panix.com (Bradley K.
>>Sherman) wrote:
>>> 3. Anything which misleads or disappoints.
>>
>>If the weatherman predicts snow, and it rains instead, did the
>>weatherman lie?
>
>It depends on the exact wording and the exact conditions.
>Was he speaking in probabilities? Did it snow at higher
>elevations? But it certainly is possible for a weatherman
>to lie.

I'm talking about normal conditions in a normal weather report.

>Of course, Ffffurken, and TruthSeeker miss the most difficult
>philosophical question about lying:
> Suppose Ffffurken thinks the tournament is on Wednesday and
> wants TruthSeeker to miss the tournament and tells Truth Seeker,
> with clear intent to deceive:
> "The tournament is on Thursday."
> But one minute before Ffffurken said that, the Casino changed
> the tournament to Thursday. So the statement is objectively
> true. Did Ffffurken tell a lie, Did Ffffurken tell a falsehood?

Yes, he did, even though the statement turned out to be true. OTOH,
if he actually thought the tournament was on Thursday even though it
was actually on Wednesday, then he didn't lie. He was merely
mistaken.

>There have been discussions of this going back to Herodotus.
>To think that the voices in Ffffurken's head know the One
>True Answer to the question is the height of conceit.

I doubt the Herodotus was discussing a definition of a word in the
modern English language, which is really all that we've been talking
about here.
--

Pepe Papon

Bradley K. Sherman

Feb 1, 2015, 10:31:15 PM2/1/15
You should thing about change your silly pseudonym to "TruthDenier".

--bks

Bradley K. Sherman

Feb 1, 2015, 10:32:30 PM2/1/15
Pepe Papon <hitme...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>On Sun, 1 Feb 2015 17:35:14 +0000 (UTC), b...@panix.com (Bradley K.
>
>>TruthSeeker <nos...@nofnspam.com> wrote:
>>>I do not believe there exists a human being anywhere on the planet who
>>>always tells the truth in all circumstances. Which makes the statement
>>>"I always tell the truth" itself a lie.
>>
>>Well here I am. Your unfounded belief has just foundered on the
>>rock of objective truth.
>
>Always telling the truth in all circumstances isn't actually a virtue.

I would not argue with that! It's my cross to bear.

--bks

Bradley K. Sherman

Feb 1, 2015, 10:42:00 PM2/1/15
Pepe Papon <hitme...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>On Sun, 1 Feb 2015 13:09:07 +0000 (UTC), b...@panix.com (Bradley K.
>Sherman) wrote:
>
>>Pepe Papon <hitme...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>If the weatherman predicts snow, and it rains instead, did the
>>>weatherman lie?
>>
>>It depends on the exact wording and the exact conditions.
>>Was he speaking in probabilities? Did it snow at higher
>>elevations? But it certainly is possible for a weatherman
>>to lie.
>
>I'm talking about normal conditions in a normal weather report.

Normal weather reports are given in probabilistic terms.
If I tell you that there is a 75% chance of drawing a
spade, club or diamond from a 52 card deck and you draw
a heart, I did not lie.

If the weatherman were to say, "It will definitely snow tonight"
or "There is a 100% chance of snow tonight" and it rains, then,
yes, that's a lie. Most people understand that the weatherman
is making a prediction which is subject to error, not claiming
to foretell the future with perfect accuracy.

--bks

Pepe Papon

Feb 1, 2015, 11:17:57 PM2/1/15
Intent is what distinguishes a lie from a mistake. Whether or not an
observer can determine intent is irrelevant to whether a given
statement is a lie or not. If you tell a lie and get succeed in
deceiving people, that doesn't make your statement any less of a lie.
It means you lied and got away with it.
--

Pepe Papon

Bradley K. Sherman

Feb 1, 2015, 11:26:59 PM2/1/15
Pepe Papon <hitme...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>Intent is what distinguishes a lie from a mistake.

It is not that simple. The mistakes that people make often
reveal their intent. Ask any world-class poker player.

--bks

Pepe Papon

Feb 1, 2015, 11:47:49 PM2/1/15
Here's the part where Joe declares how much he loves the way people
react to his screen name.
--

Pepe Papon

Pepe Papon

Feb 1, 2015, 11:52:14 PM2/1/15
I think you're making it more complicated than it actually is by
bringing in the issue of detectability. It's either a lie or not
independent of what is revealed. The intent is either there or not
independent on what is revealed.

Defining "intent" might get complicated, but that's a separate issue
from the definition of "lie".
--

Pepe Papon

Pepe Papon

Feb 1, 2015, 11:55:55 PM2/1/15
On Mon, 2 Feb 2015 03:41:57 +0000 (UTC), b...@panix.com (Bradley K.
Weather reports don't always talk in terms of probability. They
often don't. "Sunny tomorrow with highs in the upper 80s". "Rain
tomorrow, heavy at times with gusty winds and temperatures in the
40s".
--

Pepe Papon

Bradley K. Sherman

Feb 2, 2015, 12:12:53 AM2/2/15
Pepe Papon <hitme...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 2 Feb 2015 04:26:55 +0000 (UTC), b...@panix.com (Bradley K.
>Sherman) wrote:
>
>>Pepe Papon <hitme...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>>Intent is what distinguishes a lie from a mistake.
>>
>>It is not that simple. The mistakes that people make often
>>reveal their intent. Ask any world-class poker player.
>
>I think you're making it more complicated than it actually is by
>bringing in the issue of detectability. It's either a lie or not
>independent of what is revealed. The intent is either there or not
>independent on what is revealed.

I think you're making it far too simplistic. As I said this
question has been debated for millenia. You don't get
to throw out "detectability" to make life convenient for
yourself. At any rate, we're off on a tangent. The question
under discussion was separating lie from falsehood, not lies
from mistakes. It is certainly *not* the case that all
falsehoods are mistakes.

--bks

It is loading more messages.