Q. for Eric Rosenberg re: Boyd

1 view

wg bradley

Dec 3, 2003, 4:16:58 PM12/3/03
In this article - http://tinyurl.com/xlf5 - you state as a matter of
fact:

** Having graduated from law school when he was barely old enough to
legally play poker, some believe that Russ Boyd is boy genius. He
never did tell us whether he thought he was a that was true or not,
but he did say, "I sometimes get real moments of clarity that even
surprise myself." **

First of all, Mr. Boyd does claim explicitly in your interview with
him to be a genius. He claims to have had his IQ tested several times
with a score of 150 which, by definition, places him squarely in the
genius range. I was surprised a genius wouldn't know this bit of
common knowledge, just as I was surprised a genius wouldn't know that
intelligence is in fact influenced by genetics.

Anyhow, you state as a matter of fact that Mr. Boyd graduated law
school. How do you know this? I assume as a journalist you didn't take
anything a person like this said at face value and checked all
pertinent facts. The things this person has said and done seem
inconsistent with someone who has completed a program of formal legal
training. I am skeptical. Can you tell me where and when Mr. Boyd
earned his J.D. or LL.B.?

Jeff D

Dec 3, 2003, 4:24:08 PM12/3/03
I thought someone posted a link to his law school that had a blurb about him
on the front page?

Not saying that I trust him nor that, I just remeber someone bringing that
up.

Jeff D
"wg bradley" <w...@bogus.ca> wrote in message

wg bradley

Dec 3, 2003, 4:36:56 PM12/3/03

"Jeff D" <jda...@nospam.cox.net> wrote in message

> I thought someone posted a link to his law school that had a blurb
about him
> on the front page?

Oh... I don't suppose the link looked something like this?
www.pokerspot.com/RussBoyd'sLawSchool ;-)

I suppose it's possible, but some of the things I've seen written by
him seem totally inconsistent with having a law degree.

seattleguru

Dec 3, 2003, 5:12:53 PM12/3/03
On Dec 3 2003 1:16PM, wg bradley wrote:

Can you tell me where and when Mr. Boyd
> earned his J.D. or LL.B.?

For someone so interested in making sure all the facts have been checked
and re-checked, I would think that you would know that a law student earns
either a JD or an LLM. Your questions about fact checking would be easier
to take if you got your facts right.

I am no Dutch/Russ/Dipshit/Whatever Boyd fan, but doesn't anyone think
that all the attention given to him on RGP is exactly what Boyd is craving?

Also, given that Boyd went to law school, he should not be so quick to
dismiss the losses on Pokerspot by claiming they are corporate losses.
Any second year law student knows that improprieties by corporate
officers/directors could potentially pierce the corporate veil thereby
opening up those individuals to personal liability.

Anyway, this is my first and, god willing, last post about Mr. Boyd.
There are other, and substantially more important, topics to be discussed
including the upcoming GCB post, the conspiracy that is online poker and
why Howard Lederer is so damn cool.

Posted using RecPoker.com - http://www.recpoker.com

wg bradley

Dec 3, 2003, 5:26:42 PM12/3/03

"seattleguru" <anon...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Dec 3 2003 1:16PM, wg bradley wrote:
>
> Can you tell me where and when Mr. Boyd
> > earned his J.D. or LL.B.?
>

> For someone so interested in making sure all the facts have been
checked
> and re-checked, I would think that you would know that a law student
earns
> either a JD or an LLM. Your questions about fact checking would be
easier
> to take if you got your facts right.

Really?? I guess I got ripped off when they handed me an LL.B.

Ed Barrett

Dec 3, 2003, 5:27:07 PM12/3/03

hmmm...he's been repeatedly accused of not telling the truth. That seems to
be fairly consistent with most people's perceptions of one who has a law
degree. FWIW, he did make the claim on national TV that echoed the academic
prowess contained in the 'interview.' Of course, they probably didn't check
it out, either. And he does seem to be the type who would have the balls to
make a false claim to a national TV audience. But I tend to believe him.

"wg bradley" <w...@bogus.ca> wrote in message

seattleguru

Dec 3, 2003, 12:30:35 PM12/3/03
On Dec 3 2003 2:26PM, wg bradley wrote:

> Really?? I guess I got ripped off when they handed me an LL.B.

My mistake...Didn't realize you were talking about a Canadian law degree.

wg bradley

Dec 3, 2003, 5:58:49 PM12/3/03

> On Dec 3 2003 2:26PM, wg bradley wrote:
>
> > Really?? I guess I got ripped off when they handed me an LL.B.
>

> My mistake...Didn't realize you were talking about a Canadian law
degree.

An LL.B. is not synonymous with a "Canadian law degree". It is you,
sir, that needs to get your facts straight.

wg bradley

Dec 3, 2003, 6:00:06 PM12/3/03

"Ed Barrett" <EBAR...@satx.rr.com> wrote in message

> hmmm...he's been repeatedly accused of not telling the truth. That
seems to
> be fairly consistent with most people's perceptions of one who has a
law
> degree.

That may be the perception, but it's not the reality.

Rich

Dec 3, 2003, 7:26:50 PM12/3/03
On Dec 3 2003 2:27PM, Ed Barrett wrote:

> hmmm...he's been repeatedly accused of not telling the truth. That seems to
> be fairly consistent with most people's perceptions of one who has a law
> degree. FWIW, he did make the claim on national TV that echoed the academic
> prowess contained in the 'interview.' Of course, they probably didn't check
> it out, either. And he does seem to be the type who would have the balls to
> make a false claim to a national TV audience. But I tend to believe him.

Why do you believe him? He wouldn't be the first con artist to lie about
their past, if that's indeed the case. Read any of the official
"biography" materials about L. Ron Hubbard for a perfect example. Even
some people who I wouldn't classify as con artists have taken
opportunities to inflate their public image. Orson Welles did a lot of
that in the early days - his image as a wunderkind was largely his own
creation.

These type of people understand that if you say something is true, many
people will believe it just based on that.

Do you think ESPN would have given him as much airtime if not for that
image? And he used that airtime to promote his new site.

The question is really whether the people who reported these claims as
facts did anything to verify them, as the original poster asked. It's an
excellent question.

Rich

Roland2k

Dec 4, 2003, 3:12:42 PM12/4/03
Crosspost to rec.acronym.whofuckingcares!

Eric Rosenberg

Dec 4, 2003, 4:18:24 PM12/4/03
Dear WG Bradley,

I most certainly did confirm the facts! Russ Boyd graduated from the
University of Missouri Law School in 1999. Not only did he graduate at
the age of 18, but he completed his JD a year early (he was supposed to
be in the class of 2000). He started the program at the age of 15.

I normally do not reveal my sources for ANY stories that I am associated
with, but since I get the feeling that you patted yourself on the back
after making this post, I will humor you.

This information was confirmed by Ms. Cheryl Poelling of the law
school's administration department. AND YES, she did confirm that it is
the SAME Russ Boyd that finished 12th in the World Series of Poker. Ms.
Poelling can be reached at (573)882-6487

Thank you for you concerns.

Regards,
Eric Rosenberg
http://www.LiveActionPoker.com

** Anonymous RGP ACCESS at http://www.LiveActionPoker.com

** FREE Lou Krieger Book w/ PartyPoker Account
http://www.LiveActionPoker.com/freebook/

Eric Rosenberg

Dec 4, 2003, 4:22:38 PM12/4/03
From: wg bradley (w...@bogus.ca)

> Anyhow, you state as a matter of fact that Mr.
> Boyd graduated law school. How do you know
> this? I assume as a journalist you didn't take
> anything a person like this said at face value
> and checked all pertinent facts.

Dear WG Bradley,

Jon Eaton

Dec 4, 2003, 4:36:55 PM12/4/03
For the record, I remember a friend telling me he read a story about
Boyd on MU's website a while back, when he finished in the WSOP. If anyone
seriously doubts his credentials, I could easily make a quick call to some
friends and get phone #'s for records at the school.

Jon

"Eric Rosenberg" <eric@liveactionpoker(remove).com> wrote in message

wg bradley

Dec 4, 2003, 4:44:42 PM12/4/03

"Eric Rosenberg" <eric@liveactionpoker(remove).com> wrote in message

Patted myself on the back?? Sorry I don't follow...I merely said based
on the things Russ Boyd had said and done I was very skeptical that he
had formal legal training. If I was skeptical that he had such
training then it follows that I was skeptical that you confirmed same.
I apologize if this hurt your feelings.

If he did in fact graduate from an approved legal program I am more
perplexed than ever about some of the things he has said and done.

Eric Rosenberg

Dec 4, 2003, 4:56:30 PM12/4/03
No worries. Perhaps I read more into you post than I should have.

Since the article, I have received many emails. A handful of them told
me that I was helping with Boyd's lie about law school. One emailer
even said that he would use it to "publicly discredit" me. I assumed
that you were the one that sent me that email. I guess I should have
done my fact checking on that as well! ;)

Again, I appologize for the rudeness in my reply.

Eric

Eric Rosenberg

Dec 4, 2003, 4:58:23 PM12/4/03
From: Jon Eaton (kingfora...@mchsi.com)

> I could easily make a quick call to some
> friends and get phone #'s for records at the
> school.

Um, didn't I just post this? Re-read my post and you will find that
info in there.

wg bradley

Dec 4, 2003, 5:08:54 PM12/4/03

"Roland2k" <rolan...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Crosspost to rec.acronym.whofuckingcares!

I didn't crosspost anything. Never have, never will.

wg bradley

Dec 4, 2003, 5:25:08 PM12/4/03

> No worries. Perhaps I read more into you post than I should have.
>
> Since the article, I have received many emails. A handful of them
told
> me that I was helping with Boyd's lie about law school. One emailer
> even said that he would use it to "publicly discredit" me. I
assumed
> that you were the one that sent me that email. I guess I should
have
> done my fact checking on that as well! ;)
>
> Again, I appologize for the rudeness in my reply.

No, you did check your facts so it is I who owes you an apology. I
must question however how someone can finish a JD in 2 years. I have
never heard of any law school offering such a program, and there is no
reference to such an option on their website.

Commander Suckout

Dec 4, 2003, 12:37:18 PM12/4/03
"If he did in fact graduate from an approved legal program I am more
perplexed than ever about some of the things he has said and done."

Call Ripley. (807)445-8778. Mention that you found the first unethical
greedy lawyer.

Jon Eaton

Dec 4, 2003, 5:48:26 PM12/4/03
Didn't read that last part of it... but yeah, if anyone doubts you, I am
backing up your word.

Jon

"Eric Rosenberg" <eric@liveactionpoker(remove).com> wrote in message

wg bradley

Dec 4, 2003, 6:05:20 PM12/4/03

"Commander Suckout" <anon...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "If he did in fact graduate from an approved legal program I am more
> perplexed than ever about some of the things he has said and done."
>
> Call Ripley. (807)445-8778. Mention that you found the first
unethical
> greedy lawyer.

I was not referring to his ethics.
But your implication that lawyers as a group are greedy and unethical
could not be further from the truth.

John Harkness

Dec 4, 2003, 6:21:19 PM12/4/03

Why? Isn't surgical removal of the conscience part of the graduation
ceremony?

John Harkness

DanielRentzer

Dec 5, 2003, 12:59:49 AM12/5/03
There are many law schools where you can finish a JD in two years. I went
to law school for over a year and almost completed my JD at the university
of La Verne, I would have been able to finish the program in two
years.It's a lot of work but could be done.

John Harkness

Dec 5, 2003, 6:32:13 AM12/5/03
On 05 Dec 2003 05:59:49 GMT, "DanielRentzer" <anon...@thegrid.net>
wrote:

>There are many law schools where you can finish a JD in two years. I went
>to law school for over a year and almost completed my JD at the university
>of La Verne, I would have been able to finish the program in two
>years.It's a lot of work but could be done.

The University of La Verne?

What, couldn't get into The University of Shirley?

John Harkness

arlo payne

Dec 5, 2003, 8:37:09 AM12/5/03
And you should of!

Someday you will see just how bad you screwed up by not finishing that
last year :(

wg bradley

Dec 5, 2003, 9:27:37 AM12/5/03

"DanielRentzer" <anon...@thegrid.net> wrote in message

> There are many law schools where you can finish a JD in two years. I
went
> to law school for over a year and almost completed my JD at the
university
> of La Verne, I would have been able to finish the program in two
> years.It's a lot of work but could be done.

The Univerity of La Verne does not appear to be an American Bar
Association approved law school. My reading of the ABA's rules is that
a school that would grant a J.D. in 2 years would be ineligible for
ABA approval.

Paul Sikorski

Dec 7, 2003, 3:35:23 AM12/7/03
All the graduation gowns have big Ls on them.

DQPaulie

"John Harkness" <jhXaYr...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message