RIP Gary Carson

Steam

Mar 4, 2014, 7:43:32 PM3/4/14
A shame, definitely on of the good guys

risky biz

Mar 4, 2014, 8:02:22 PM3/4/14
On Mar 4 2014 4:43 PM, Steam wrote:

> A shame, definitely on of the good guys

I liked Gary. I think he wrote one of the best books for the audience
intended. Such a sad occurrence. May he rest in peace.

mockinjay

Mar 4, 2014, 8:15:30 PM3/4/14
On Mar 4 2014 6:43 PM, Steam wrote:

> A shame, definitely on of the good guys

From Gary's facebook page

"This is Lynda Applegate posting. I am sorry to inform that Gary passed
away this morning. It was very peaceful, just the way he wanted to go. We
should all be so lucky. He had recovered from the flu, but apparently died
from a stroke or heart attack. Will post his obit tomorrow."

Jason Pawloski

Mar 4, 2014, 8:28:21 PM3/4/14
On Mar 4 2014 5:43 PM, Steam wrote:

> A shame, definitely on of the good guys

Rest in Peace Gary.

Popinjay999

Mar 4, 2014, 9:19:03 PM3/4/14
On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 4:43:32 PM UTC-8, Steam wrote:

> A shame, definitely on of the good guys

Well, this is a fine howd'y'do. Razzo, and now Gary. We were just asking about Gary. I was just telling someone over the phone that I wish Gary was still on RGP because the newsgroup is nothing now. Of course, we are not really too surprised by Gary's death, but very sad none the less. Razzo was a shocking surprise to me. Gary we were hoping would just keep hanging on.

I remember some pretty good conversations with Gary on this newsgroup. I learned some things from him. That's right, I remember times when I admitted I was wrong and he was right about something. But in poker, we were pretty much on the same page. Heck, Gary taught me a few things about video poker. I'll miss him, but was already semi-prepared for this bad news.

Goodbye, Gary. I counted you as a friend. I'm very sorry to see you go.

-Paul

mo_ntresor

Mar 4, 2014, 9:32:14 PM3/4/14
On Mar 4 2014 5:43 PM, Steam wrote:

> A shame, definitely on of the good guys

gary will be sorely missed.

mo_ntresor

brewmaster

Mar 4, 2014, 10:02:18 PM3/4/14
On Mar 4 2014 4:43 PM, Steam wrote:

> A shame, definitely on of the good guys

RIP Gary. Two of the good guys in 1 week :( 3 people I know dead in a
week.

Tim Norfolk

Mar 4, 2014, 10:57:28 PM3/4/14
I'm getting to the age when my friends are dying, and I don't like it at all.

Jason Pawloski

Mar 4, 2014, 10:56:11 PM3/4/14
On Mar 4 2014 7:19 PM, Popinjay999 wrote:

> Heck, Gary taught me a few things about video poker.

Really? I didn't know this about him. I wish I reached out to talk to him
about VP.

O-PGManager

Mar 4, 2014, 11:33:23 PM3/4/14
On Mar 4 2014 7:43 PM, Steam wrote:

> A shame, definitely on of the good guys

Very sad. Always loved his posts on politics and history. I remember he
gave a succinct summary of the Church Commission findings and his
prescient warning to wide eyed opie in his early 20s, "the police are not
your friend". RGP has never really been the same without him. RIP.

Opie G. Manager
Rec.Gambling.Poker
Assistant Newsgroup Coordinator Emeritus (2009-2011)

Splashie

Mar 5, 2014, 12:38:49 AM3/5/14
On Mar 4 2014 4:43 PM, Steam wrote:

> A shame, definitely on of the good guys

Absolutely. RIP Gary.

Michael
_____________

"I forgot that another one was Splashie, who is a very smart
guy btw" - paulpopinjay, 10/29/13

Popinjay999

Mar 5, 2014, 2:15:00 AM3/5/14
On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:02:18 PM UTC-8, brewmaster wrote:

> RIP Gary. Two of the good guys in 1 week :( 3 people I know dead in a
>
> week.

Back in 2002, who would have thought it if you could see the future and tell Razzo and Gary that they would both die five days apart in 2014?

Beldin the Sorcerer

Mar 5, 2014, 2:35:14 AM3/5/14
Steam wrote:
> A shame, definitely on of the good guys

Very sorry to hear this
He was a smart guy

Will in New Haven

Mar 5, 2014, 8:59:43 AM3/5/14
On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:43:32 PM UTC-5, Steam wrote:
> A shame, definitely on of the good guys

Definitely.

--
Will in New Haven

ray...@hotmail.com

Mar 5, 2014, 9:11:58 AM3/5/14
On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:43:32 PM UTC-5, Steam wrote:
> A shame, definitely on of the good guys

RIP

halfpastdead

Mar 5, 2014, 9:47:47 AM3/5/14
beats the alternative

I saw a bumper sticker about six months ago. It said: "Don't Mex with
Tejas".

Tim Norfolk

Mar 5, 2014, 10:52:47 AM3/5/14
Them not dying?

Mossingen

Mar 5, 2014, 10:59:33 AM3/5/14

"O-PGManager" wrote in message news:j1miuax...@news.ezprovider.com...

On Mar 4 2014 7:43 PM, Steam wrote:

> A shame, definitely on of the good guys

Very sad. Always loved his posts on politics and history. I remember he
gave a succinct summary of the Church Commission findings and his
prescient warning to wide eyed opie in his early 20s, "the police are not
your friend". RGP has never really been the same without him. RIP.

_______________

Yep. Not many folks here I could say that about, but Gary was one. Such an
original thinker on all sorts of topics. RIP

mo_ntresor

Mar 5, 2014, 11:17:18 AM3/5/14
On Mar 5 2014 8:59 AM, Mossingen wrote:

> Yep. Not many folks here I could say that about, but Gary was one. Such an
> original thinker on all sorts of topics. RIP

the best gary post ever:

(on muslim mosque building in nyc and tennessee)
"The argument in Tennessee is that since they don't eat zombie flesh they
aren't a real religion and aren't protected by the first amendment."

mo_ntresor

brewmaster

Mar 5, 2014, 2:33:28 PM3/5/14
I think he meant the alternative of you dying. And, as you say, as we get
older it is happening more and more frequently. I have 4 FB friends
(whose pages are still there) who are deceased (and three of those were
rgpers).

mo_ntresor

Mar 5, 2014, 2:48:28 PM3/5/14
On Mar 5 2014 12:33 PM, brewmaster wrote:

> I think he meant the alternative of you dying. And, as you say, as we get
> older it is happening more and more frequently. I have 4 FB friends
> (whose pages are still there) who are deceased (and three of those were
> rgpers).

babs, raider, harkness, gary, razzo ... any i'm missing?

mo_ntresor

brewmaster

Mar 5, 2014, 3:21:50 PM3/5/14
that's all I can think of (the 3 that were FB friends are raider, gary,
razzo)

> mo_ntresor

mockinjay

Mar 5, 2014, 4:06:20 PM3/5/14
Russ

da pickle

Mar 5, 2014, 4:09:12 PM3/5/14
On 3/5/2014 1:33 PM, brewmaster wrote:
>> Them not dying?
>
> I think he meant the alternative of you dying. And, as you say, as we get
> older it is happening more and more frequently. I have 4 FB friends
> (whose pages are still there) who are deceased (and three of those were
> rgpers).

I checked ... not me.

brewmaster

Mar 5, 2014, 4:42:02 PM3/5/14
D'oh, how could we forget that one?

I'm starting to worry about Ed Hutchison, since he didn't report either
RazzO or Gary

mockinjay

Mar 5, 2014, 7:31:17 PM3/5/14
I sent him a facebook message and he replied.
"Thanks for letting me know. I never met Razzo but enjoyed his posts on
RGP. Alas, this group is pretty much irrelevant to poker today, and I very
seldom read it. Best wishes, Ed"

Popinjay999

Mar 5, 2014, 8:34:05 PM3/5/14
On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 4:31:17 PM UTC-8, mockinjay wrote:

> I sent him a facebook message and he replied.
>
> "Thanks for letting me know. I never met Razzo but enjoyed his posts on
>
> RGP. Alas, this group is pretty much irrelevant to poker today, and I very
>
> seldom read it. Best wishes, Ed"

Heh, you ARE "Will_Gamble", aren't you? Do you think Popinjay just got off the boat?

Pepe Papon

Mar 6, 2014, 2:39:18 AM3/6/14
On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 11:33:28 -0800, "brewmaster"
<a1...@webnntp.invalid> wrote:

> I have 4 FB friends
>(whose pages are still there) who are deceased (and three of those were
>rgpers).

The moral being that RGP is bad for one's health.
--

Pepe Papon

mockinjay

Mar 6, 2014, 9:25:20 AM3/6/14
I am someone who knows how to find Gary Carson's, Razzo's, and even Ed
Hutchinson's page. I could even find yours when you had one. NBFD
really. I told Ed I was from RGP and he replied. Pretty simple really.

Popinjay999

Mar 6, 2014, 11:11:57 AM3/6/14
On Thursday, March 6, 2014 6:25:20 AM UTC-8, mockinjay wrote:

> I am someone who knows how to find Gary Carson's, Razzo's, and even Ed
>
> Hutchinson's page. I could even find yours when you had one. NBFD
>
> really. I told Ed I was from RGP and he replied. Pretty simple really.

Good job, Will.

brewmaster

Mar 6, 2014, 12:58:08 PM3/6/14
I think you, BillB, and Pickle are my last living rgp FB friends. You
guys better watch yourselves.

BillB

Mar 6, 2014, 1:09:28 PM3/6/14
On 06/03/2014 9:58 AM, brewmaster wrote:

> I think you, BillB, and Pickle are my last living rgp FB friends. You
> guys better watch yourselves.

My money is on pickle going first. He's already as old as dirt, and he's
always going on those cheapo cruises, which are basically floating petri
dishes.

risky biz

Mar 6, 2014, 2:16:58 PM3/6/14
LOL. It fits. Good catch, Paul.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
'Travel' on the topic of the "ladyboys" in the videos he posts:
"the videos mentions it maybe 10% of the time, with real girls mentioned
90% of the time"
Re: Obama Says Something I Agree With
Travel Feb 27 2014 5:26 PM Pacific

brewmaster

Mar 6, 2014, 6:26:08 PM3/6/14
I forgot about Alim, he's on there too, but he is so polite in his posts I
forget he's an rgper. I don't think Alim is dying any time soon though,
despite the obvious indication that being an rgper and a FB friend with me
leads to death (the other of the four dead FB friends is my recently
suicided friend).

Pepe Papon

Mar 7, 2014, 1:41:40 AM3/7/14
I'm eating healthy and keeping in shape.
--

Pepe Papon

Mark B [Diputsur]

Mar 7, 2014, 11:48:23 PM3/7/14
On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:43:32 PM UTC-5, Steam wrote:
> A shame, definitely on of the good guys

RIP Gary :(

RichD

Mar 18, 2014, 11:36:59 PM3/18/14
On March 5, Will in New Haven wrote:

>> A shame, definitely on of the good guys
>
> Definitely.

I seek a third opinion.
Which reminds me, what's Kid Poker up to lately?

--
Rich

phil...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2014, 7:53:31 AM9/4/14
On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 6:52:29 PM UTC-5, The Groovin' Mahoovin wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 12:43:32 AM UTC, Steam wrote:
>
> > A shame, definitely on of the good guys
>

> I was just logging in to report his passing in case no one else had. I was a regular poster here from perhaps 1998-2004 but then focused more on sports. I don't want my full posting name to show up in searches but I posted as "Sean " for years. Gary was one of the first online friends I made via gambling, if not the very first. We became friendly via IRCPoker and RGP, and often tossed around ideas about loose games in the IRC chatbox and via email. He had some good ideas, had a great sense of humor, and didn't pretend to be anything other than what he was, just a guy who'd gambled for a long time and gave a lot of thought to the game. His thoughts, along with later ideas from people like Izmet and Abdul, were instrumental in teaching me how to beat loose limit Hold'em games.
>

> Two of my favorite Carson stories. One, the famous grilled cheese sandwich story.
>

> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/rec.gambling.poker/ZxW4yhYfnB0/dYavR6PiLV4J
>

> And two, some "classic Carson" quotes:
>

> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/rec.gambling.poker/FAXGVXSw1U0/yPn8NUy9WDkJ
>

> Someone asked which other RGPers had passed. Aside from the ones mentioned, Lee Munzer, Lou Kreiger, Bill Alan, Steve BIA, Russ Georgiev, and Bill Nirdlinger (the latter two from GCA) have all passed somewhat recently.

Welcome back, Sean Duffy. When did you start using GroovinMahoovin?
Message has been deleted

Maverick

Sep 12, 2014, 4:49:49 AM9/12/14
Who the fuck was "babs"? I didn't know Razzo croaked. Hopefully, he didn't pass inside a costa rican brothel.

Paul Popinjay

Sep 12, 2014, 9:08:06 AM9/12/14
On Friday, September 12, 2014 1:49:49 AM UTC-7, Maverick wrote:

> Who the fuck was "babs"? I didn't know Razzo croaked. Hopefully, he didn't pass inside a costa rican brothel.

Razzo and Gary died about a week apart. I think Razzo died in his sleep, in Vegas. Here's a page for Gary Carson.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/kansas/obituary.aspx?n=gary-lavon-carson&pid=170040912

Maverick

Sep 22, 2014, 5:50:33 AM9/22/14
On Friday, September 12, 2014 6:08:06 AM UTC-7, Paul Popinjay wrote:
> Razzo and Gary died about a week apart. I think Razzo died in his sleep, in Vegas. Here's a page for Gary Carson.
>

> http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/kansas/obituary.aspx?n=gary-lavon-carson&pid=170040912

Where's Razzo's page? Died in his sleep? I'd have thought he'd died of a massive heart attack at someplace called "Happy Endings Massage Parlor"...or the Costa Rican vernacular: The Library.

Paul Popinjay

Sep 22, 2014, 9:59:58 AM9/22/14
The only page for Razzo that I know of was the page some people posted asking for help with the costs. There were several pictures of him and his family. I don't know the link. I was sorry to see him go. Seemed like a pretty good guy and I always figured I'd meet him someday in Vegas. He was way too young. I never did see an obituary in a Vegas paper. I looked, too. At first I was hoping it was another sick joke. But I guess it wasn't.

Paul Popinjay

Sep 22, 2014, 10:08:25 AM9/22/14
On Monday, September 22, 2014 2:50:33 AM UTC-7, Maverick wrote:
I found the link, there's some good pictures of him and his family.

https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/m734/darryl-phillips-going-home?utm_source=giveforward&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=donation_receipt_T0

Maverick

Sep 23, 2014, 5:44:09 AM9/23/14
And they only raised $1840 out of $3500 requested. Looks like Razzo got stiffed on the way out the door. Razzo claimed to me he made well over $1million in tokes...and the man can't get a $3500 funeral. Doyle should have buried him himself.

Eddie Murphy buried Redd Foxx. Doyle can't bury Razzo?

homoind...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2014, 6:33:18 AM9/23/14
And they only raised $1840 out of $3500 requested. Looks like Razzo got stiffed on the way out the door. Razzo claimed to me he made well over $1million in tokes...and the man can't get a $3500 funeral. Doyle should have buried him himself.

Eddie Murphy buried Redd Foxx. Doyle can't bury Razzo?

I had to wonder about that myself. He didn't leave anything? His grown kids couldn't scrape together 3500 bucks??
Message has been deleted

Bea Foroni

Sep 24, 2014, 6:44:24 PM9/24/14
On Tuesday, September 23, 2014 2:44:09 AM UTC-7, Maverick wrote:
> And they only raised $1840 out of $3500 requested. Looks like Razzo got stiffed on the way out the door.

Looks like Razzo was the one stiffing. "The man who dies rich dies in shame", can conversely be said that the person who dies without the funds to dispose of his carcass also dies in shame.

The family could have just refused the body and the State would have handled the remains. Much better than public begging. And much better treatment than some of the budget services. Heck, even the willing to a medical education institution would have ensured disposal after student studies.
Message has been deleted