WANTED: Krups Il Primo Owners Manual

James Garcia

Oct 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/7/96

I just bought a used Krups Il Primo Expresso/Cappachino Machine.
Since this is my first machine, I don't have a clue as for how to
operate it. If someone can help me out, Please let me know!

-james

David A Johnson

Oct 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/7/96

How's it going? I've got the same model, so I might be able to help a
bit... I'm not sure how experianced you are at making espresso/cappucino,
so I'm just going to post the basics...

The first thing you want to do (after making sure the unit is unplugged)
is to slowly take off the cap on top. (Says "caution...") The glass
carafe has several markings on the side indicating different "fill"
levels. The one on the bottom has the "steam" graphic which I'll explain
later. The "2" marking is enoughf for a double espresso, and the "4" is
enough for "4" shots. For one cappuccino, fill the carafe a -little- past
the 2 mark. (for 2 of them, fill it to where it reaches the metal band
supporting the handle.) -DO NOT FILL PAST THE SILVER BAND- Dump the
measured WATER into the top of the unit, and screw on the lid tightly.
-never remove the lid when the machine is on- (The reason I bolded
"water" is because an old friend -who wasn't too bright- asked if you fill
the unit with milk for cappuccino...NO!)

Next, you take off the filter assembly by turning it to the left. There
is a porta-filter (small metal filer) in the assembly. (Empty it out
between uses. ;-) ) Take the filter and fill it with espresso-ground
coffee, up to one of the two markings on the side indicating 2 or 4.
(make sure you do this according to the above paragraph... Ie. 2shots
espresso.) Some people suggest packing the espresso with a tamper,
but that's another issue. Put the filter back in the assembly and
reattach the assembly to the main unit. (just like you took it off.)

If you're making cauppucino, have a cup or small pitcher of milk ready.
I'd guess about 250 or so ml. for a single. Frothing the milk is
something you're going to have to learn elsewhere... (Sorry, I've got
school tomorrow.)

Make sure all parts are in place before you turn the thing on. (lid,
filter assembly, porta-filter, carafe, ... Then make sure the unit is
plugged in (duh) and flip the switch on the left side to the espresso
icon. After a short time, espresso will come dripping out... If you're
making cappuccino, the time to start frothing the milk is when the
espresso makes it up to the first mark I mentioned above, with the steam
icon. Otherwise, let it brew & remeber to turn off and clean the unit.
(be REALLY careful, it gets HOT!!! I'd suggest putting off cleaning the
unit until it's completly cool...)

That's probably what you need to know...
Have fun, be safe,& use common sense, I claim NO liability for what I've
said above. (The unit can be dangerous if you're clueless!)
Best of luck.

Dave

Steven M. Schwartz

Oct 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/13/96

> I just bought a used Krups Il Primo Expresso/Cappachino Machine.
> Since this is my first machine, I don't have a clue as for how to
> operate it. If someone can help me out, Please let me know!
>
> -james

I have a Krups Espresso Novo. Does a reasonably good job. The phone number
for "questions on how to operate your product" from the owners manual is
1-800-526-5377 M-F 9A-4p EST.
smschwartz

--
Steven M. Schwartz
San Jose Cardiac Surgery Group

Paul Charlesworth

Oct 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/14/96

Hi I noticed your reply and wondered if you could help me with a little
question I have about the Espresso Pronto (similar to the Novo but more
boxy design). I bought a reconditioned one from an out let mall and am just
getting to grips with it.

The problem I have is that after making coffee the grounds are very wet and
there is often a pool of water sitting in the top of the filter holder. I
dont think I had this problem when I first got the machine a few weeks ago.

Do you have a feel for what I might be doing wrong.

Ive tried a few different grinds but have not found a solution to it yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Best Wishes,

Paul.

Paul Charlesworth,
12:53 PM Mon, Oct 14, 1996

In article <schwartz-131...@dial-cup3-5.iway.aimnet.com>,

Stephen Schiller

Oct 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/15/96

Paul Charlesworth <pcha...@iastate.edu> wrote in article
<pcharles-ya023180...@news.iastate.edu>...

> Hi I noticed your reply and wondered if you could help me with a little
> question I have about the Espresso Pronto (similar to the Novo but more
> boxy design). I bought a reconditioned one from an out let mall and am
just
> getting to grips with it.
>

> Paul Charlesworth,
> 12:53 PM Mon, Oct 14, 1996
>

>We have both a Pronto and a Novo - try tamping the coffee a little harder
for drier grounds. But the real question is, how are the shots? If they
are ok, I certainly wouldn't worry about it.

Paul Charlesworth

Oct 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/16/96

In article <01bbbae4$b8504a00$67e7...@maitre.pr.mcs.net>, "Stephen
Schiller" <mai...@mcs.com> wrote:

Thanks for your reply, I had an idea that tamping the grounds harder would
work as I tried tamping them really hard, it makes the pump much quieter as
the back pressure builds up and the crema is significantly more prominant.

I think the shots are OK, I am a novice and couldnt be 100% certain, I
noticed that with lighter tamping the expresso in delivered in about 15
second and runs clear quite fast. The stream would be about 1/8th inch in
diameter, with harder tamping the stream is about 1/16th inch darker and
the color doesnt run out so quick. I think progress is being made.

Incidentally, what IS the Crema and why is it so important.

Many thanks,

Best Wishes,

Paul.

Paul Charlesworth,
10:01 AM Wed, Oct 16, 1996

bri.le...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2014, 7:27:07 PM9/22/14
I just got the IL Primo from my mother-in-law who bought it at a flea market so I don't hace the owners manual. I've never even had a cappuccino or espresso let alone the knowledge of how to operate a machine to make one. I read the eHow for this particular model so I know the basics, but my question is, What is the use of the "steam symbol" on both the glass carafe & the settings?

nancy...@gmail.com

May 20, 2017, 12:17:51 PM5/20/17
Just
Bought this model and can't figure out how to get the steam out. I flip it to steam setting and tons of pressure builds up but there's no dial or switch or anything to release the steam

di...@santesmasses.net

Jun 16, 2019, 4:04:59 PM6/16/19
On Saturday, 20 May 2017 12:17:51 UTC-4, nancy...@gmail.com wrote:
> Just
> Bought this model and can't figure out how to get the steam out. I flip it to steam setting and tons of pressure builds up but there's no dial or switch or anything to release the steam

The owner's manual of KRUPS Il Primo can be found here
http://smallappliance.com/images/SmallAppliance/English/products/standard/972.pdf