Corky's Cole Slaw

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 7, 2012, 4:30:13 PM7/7/12

I made some of this today. It is actually for dinner tomorrow as I'm
going to smoke a couple of briskets.

Even thought he recipe says not to change anything, I go a little
lighter on the celery seed. Just my personal preference. I also
shred the cabbage and drain it some after it sits an hour or so.

Here is the recipe for cole slaw from Corky's in Memphis. This is the
best I've tasted. Many ingredients are the same in other slaws- the
difference must be the celery seeds, vinegar, and mustard. Don't leave
anything out. It is perfect.

Corky's Cole Slaw
-serves 6+

1 med. head green cabbage, shredded
2 med. carrots. grated
1 green pepper finely diced
2 TBS onion, grated
2 cups mayonnaise
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 TBS celery seeds
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. white pepper

Mix vegetables in a bowl. Mix remaining ingredients in another.

Mix together and toss well.

Cover and refrigerate 3-4 hours.

jmcquown

Jul 7, 2012, 4:39:05 PM7/7/12

"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in message
Here I thought I'd gotten away from any mention of Corky's ;) J/K, if you
like it, you like it. It's just where I worked in Memphis, any time they
had an office function it was catered by Corky's. LOL

Jill

dsi1

Jul 7, 2012, 4:55:45 PM7/7/12
That's a terrifying amount of celery seed! I like celery seed but my
wife doesn't care for the stuff. I guess it feels unpleasant to her
teeth or something. Thanks for the recipe. I going to pick up some
celery seed today.

notbob

Jul 7, 2012, 4:58:27 PM7/7/12
On 2012-07-07, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:

>> Corky's Cole Slaw
>> -serves 6+
>>
>> 1 med. head green cabbage, shredded
>> 2 med. carrots. grated
>> 1 green pepper finely diced
>> 2 TBS onion, grated
>> 2 cups mayonnaise
>> 3/4 cup sugar
>> 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
>> 1/4 cup cider vinegar
>> 2 TBS celery seeds
>> 1 tsp. salt
>> 1/8 tsp. white pepper

I've been making that particular slaw fer 40 yrs, though never heard
of Corky. One variation is to include canned pineapple. Don't make
more than one hr before serving cuz the pineapple can really sog out
the salad.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!

Brooklyn1

Jul 7, 2012, 5:35:14 PM7/7/12
I don't think there is any such thing as the "Best" coleslaw... I hate
onion and mustard in cole slaw, ruins it, I especially abhor Dijon
mustard (an abomination) in anything. I love a good cole slaw, I too
would cut way down on the celery seed, in fact I would use Penseys
celery salt to taste instead (who needs celery seeds stuck between
their teeth), while cutting back on the salt (salt to taste). I don't
think it's possible to follow a slaw recipe exactly anyway, how much
cabbage is a medium head? What are medium carrots? And I've seen
bell peppers that weigh over a pound, I've grown them (I think red
bell pepper is better in slaw, looks nicer too, often I use both red
and green). I make cole slaw often, I use fresh picked cabbage from
my garden... none from a produce department come close in flavor. I
make slaw by eyeball and taste because all veggies are different
sizes... I've never in my life actually measured ingredients for a
slaw... go easy with the vinegar, sugar, and especially salt... you
can always add more but you can't take it out. And remember that
commercial mayo contains a lot of salt. I sometimes halve the mayo
and use plain yogurt or sour cream. To me the most impartant element
of cole slaw is shredding the cabbage, I want long paper thin shreds.
I don't like slaw made with chewed up cabbage like from a food
processor. I slice my cabbage by hand, I have a carbon steel 12"
chefs knife just for that purpose.... years ago Lee Valley was selling
old Sabatier hand forged carbon steel knives, I should have bought
more.

Brooklyn1

Jul 7, 2012, 5:54:30 PM7/7/12
Get some Penseys celery salt instead, theirs contains a lot of freshly
ground celery seed, potent... can't do a Bloody Mary without. And the
salt acts as a preservative, remains potent for years. Most recipes
calling for celery seed call for salt too. You'll likely never buy
celery seeds again.

Brooklyn1

Jul 7, 2012, 5:57:25 PM7/7/12
notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:

>>> Corky's Cole Slaw
>>> -serves 6+
>>>
>>> 1 med. head green cabbage, shredded
>>> 2 med. carrots. grated
>>> 1 green pepper finely diced
>>> 2 TBS onion, grated
>>> 2 cups mayonnaise
>>> 3/4 cup sugar
>>> 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
>>> 1/4 cup cider vinegar
>>> 2 TBS celery seeds
>>> 1 tsp. salt
>>> 1/8 tsp. white pepper
>
>I've been making that particular slaw fer 40 yrs, though never heard
>of Corky. One variation is to include canned pineapple. Don't make
>more than one hr before serving cuz the pineapple can really sog out
>the salad.

Um, you forgot the coconut and marachino cherries. lol

Cheryl

Jul 7, 2012, 6:33:55 PM7/7/12
Looks good! I have to mess with perfection though because I don't like
that much sugar in cole slaw. But it looks good to me! I'm going to
slow smoke a portion of the rump roast I cut off the bigger part
tomorrow. I'm going to do it in the gas grill as I've done that before
with pork and it turned out really good. I didn't get that smoke ring
though. I'm going to try more smoke and a lower temp this time.

Message has been deleted

Cheryl

Jul 7, 2012, 6:36:45 PM7/7/12
I think your period key is stuck...

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 7, 2012, 6:48:50 PM7/7/12
On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 10:55:45 -1000, dsi1
<ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:

>On 7/7/2012 10:30 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> I made some of this today. It is actually for dinner tomorrow as I'm
>> going to smoke a couple of briskets.
>>
>> Even thought he recipe says not to change anything, I go a little
>> lighter on the celery seed. Just my personal preference. I also
>> shred the cabbage and drain it some after it sits an hour or so.
>>

>> 2 TBS celery seeds

>> Cover and refrigerate 3-4 hours.
>>

>That's a terrifying amount of celery seed! I like celery seed but my
>wife doesn't care for the stuff. I guess it feels unpleasant to her
>teeth or something. Thanks for the recipe. I going to pick up some
>celery seed today.

I cut it in half and it seems about right to us.

dsi1

Jul 7, 2012, 7:26:39 PM7/7/12
The celery seed was too expensive so I didn't get it. I was thinking
about getting celery salt but was unsure if it would be a good
substitute. Too bad I didn't read your post earlier.

dsi1

Jul 7, 2012, 7:30:17 PM7/7/12
The celery seed was too expensive but maybe I could grate some celery
in there.
Message has been deleted

Steve Pope

Jul 7, 2012, 8:58:45 PM7/7/12
jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:

>Here I thought I'd gotten away from any mention of Corky's ;) J/K, if you
>like it, you like it. It's just where I worked in Memphis, any time they
>had an office function it was catered by Corky's. LOL

My friend from Memphis (actually, Horn Lake) attests to both the
righteousness and the popularity of Corky's down there. Unfortunately
I've only been to the chain-ified Corky's locations at the other end
of Tennessee which were not that impressive. The pulled pork was
too soggy and not very smoky.

Steve

Jim Elbrecht

Jul 7, 2012, 9:02:25 PM7/7/12
dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

-snip-
>The celery seed was too expensive so I didn't get it. I was thinking
>about getting celery salt but was unsure if it would be a good
>substitute. Too bad I didn't read your post earlier.

I see no resemblance between celery seed and celery salt-- either in
taste or the texture the seed adds to a slaw.

I'd use 2 T of *seed* and be happy to eat it--

Of course I just got my $10, 12oz bottle of Celery Seed just in time
for cole slaw season- <g>
http://www.amazon.com/CELERY-FRESHLY-PACKED-spices-seasonings/dp/B000N4XIIY/

I'd use 1 T of mustard seed before I used celery salt-

Jim

dsi1

Jul 7, 2012, 9:32:05 PM7/7/12
On 7/7/2012 3:02 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> -snip-
>> The celery seed was too expensive so I didn't get it. I was thinking
>> about getting celery salt but was unsure if it would be a good
>> substitute. Too bad I didn't read your post earlier.
>
> I see no resemblance between celery seed and celery salt-- either in
> taste or the texture the seed adds to a slaw.
>
> I'd use 2 T of *seed* and be happy to eat it--

The small container of seeds at the store was $6! I'm not sure if it
even contained 2 Tablespoons of the stuff. That was a bummer. Cardamon
was $16! Holy smokes - that's depressing.

> Of course I just got my $10, 12oz bottle of Celery Seed just in time
> for cole slaw season- <g>
> http://www.amazon.com/CELERY-FRESHLY-PACKED-spices-seasonings/dp/B000N4XIIY/

That's a good deal. Thanks! I'll check out Costco or Sam's Club for
celery seed first.

gregz

Jul 7, 2012, 10:03:03 PM7/7/12
I can run down local Italian deli and buy portions of bulk seasonings.
Cheap.
I'm looking at one of my containers, which is large, and looks like one I
bought at one of my dollar stores, for a dollar.

Last year one of my bars was making Cole slaw. Cut very coarse and very
delicious. I don't think I've ever seen Cole salad with any kind of
mustard.

Greg

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 7, 2012, 10:26:25 PM7/7/12
On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 17:35:14 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>I don't think there is any such thing as the "Best" coleslaw... I hate
>onion and mustard in cole slaw, ruins it, I especially abhor Dijon
>mustard (an abomination) in anything.

I dislike Dijon by itself, but you don't get the mustard taste at all
here. Only time I use it is in cooked things, like a dab in sauteed
mushrooms or Steak Diane.

> I love a good cole slaw, I too
>would cut way down on the celery seed, in fact I would use Penseys
>celery salt to taste instead (who needs celery seeds stuck between
>their teeth), while cutting back on the salt

I'll have to look into getting some of the celery salt. Never tried
theirs.

>I slice my cabbage by hand, I have a carbon steel 12"
>chefs knife just for that purpose.... years ago Lee Valley was selling
>old Sabatier hand forged carbon steel knives, I should have bought
>more.

Hey, I have a couple of them. It was a great buy at the time. I'd go
back for more if available too.

Christine Dabney

Jul 7, 2012, 10:34:27 PM7/7/12
I love my Sabatier knives..high carbon steel. They keep the sharpest
edge. The only disadvantage to them, is that they do rust... But I
love the feel of them.
Fantes sells them..

Christine
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

Brooklyn1

Jul 7, 2012, 11:03:00 PM7/7/12
On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 16:26:39 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
Where do you shop that celery seed is expensive, it's one of the least
expensive spices, and a little goes a long way:
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/results.html
Celery salt is just salt and ground celery seed, costs even less...
and Penzey gives a grand share of ground seed in their celery salt.
I no longer buy celery seed, a high quality celery salt works better,
and celery salt has a much longer shelf life then plain ground celery
seed.

Michael OConnor

Jul 8, 2012, 1:02:07 AM7/8/12
I don't like a sugary cole slaw, I like it spicy. I guess my recipe
looks something like this:

1/2 head cabbage sliced thin
1/2 pound carrots
1 bunch green onions sliced in 1/8" slices
1/2 bunch cilantro leaves chopped thin
3/4 cup fat free mayo
1/4 cup yellow mustard
2 tbsp spicy brown mustard, but I prefer Zatarain's creole mustard
1 tbsp horseradish
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon celery seed
1/2 tablespoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon old bay
1/2 tablespoon sriracha hot sauce (optional but recommended)

Mix veggies well. Mix wet ingredients and spices and test it to see
if it is to your liking; if you find it too strong you might want to
add some mayo and reserve some of the mixture that you pour over
veggies. Chill one hour.

Jim Elbrecht

Jul 8, 2012, 6:22:25 AM7/8/12
dsi1 <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:

>On 7/7/2012 3:02 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-
>The small container of seeds at the store was $6! I'm not sure if it
>even contained 2 Tablespoons of the stuff. That was a bummer. Cardamon
>was $16! Holy smokes - that's depressing.

Yeah-- I've got a big jar of Cardomom, too. [and some Star anise]
Even if they die when the jar is 1/2 full, I'm way ahead of the game.

>> Of course I just got my $10, 12oz bottle of Celery Seed just in time
>> for cole slaw season- <g>
>> http://www.amazon.com/CELERY-FRESHLY-PACKED-spices-seasonings/dp/B000N4XIIY/
>
>That's a good deal. Thanks! I'll check out Costco or Sam's Club for
>celery seed first.

Good luck-- I don't know if it is the time of year, or what-- but I
tried Sams, BJ's and all the usual suspects before I went to Amazon.
[and needed it to make my $25 for free shipping.<g>]

Jim

Gary

Jul 8, 2012, 9:15:02 AM7/8/12
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Here is the recipe for cole slaw from Corky's in Memphis. This is the
> best I've tasted. Many ingredients are the same in other slaws- the
> difference must be the celery seeds, vinegar, and mustard. Don't leave
> anything out. It is perfect.

Thanks Ed. I've saved it and will try it next time I make some.

G.

Gary

Jul 8, 2012, 9:16:42 AM7/8/12
jmcquown wrote:

> Here I thought I'd gotten away from any mention of Corky's ;)

LOL! Not only a mention of the place you used to work at, but a hated
COLESLAW recipe too. hehehh ;)

G.

Bloke Down The Pub

Jul 15, 2012, 11:28:58 AM7/15/12

"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in message

> I made some of this today. It is actually for dinner tomorrow as I'm
> going to smoke a couple of briskets.
>
> Even thought he recipe says not to change anything, I go a little
> lighter on the celery seed. Just my personal preference. I also
> shred the cabbage and drain it some after it sits an hour or so.
>
> Here is the recipe for cole slaw from Corky's in Memphis. This is the
> best I've tasted. Many ingredients are the same in other slaws- the
> difference must be the celery seeds, vinegar, and mustard. Don't leave
> anything out. It is perfect.
>
> Corky's Cole Slaw
> -serves 6+
>
> 1 med. head green cabbage, shredded

A little late here but what size would a medium head of cabbage be? Either
in volume or weight. Most of the cabbages I see are about the same size and
would be 9 inches to a foot in diameter.

Mike

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 15, 2012, 12:00:54 PM7/15/12
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 23:28:58 +0800, "Bloke Down The Pub"
<cab...@xxxx.iinet.net.au> wrote:

>> Corky's Cole Slaw
>> -serves 6+
>>
>> 1 med. head green cabbage, shredded
>

>A little late here but what size would a medium head of cabbage be? Either
>in volume or weight. Most of the cabbages I see are about the same size and
>would be 9 inches to a foot in diameter.
>
>Mike

I'd say they are large. You can, of course, us any size you want,
just adjust the amount of dressing to suite you taste. When I look
for medium, I think about 8 to 9 inches. I also shred the cabbage,
let it stand a couple of hours, then squeeze a lot of water out of it.

Brooklyn1

Jul 15, 2012, 12:29:32 PM7/15/12
<cab...@xxxx.iinet.net.au> wrote:

>"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I made some of this today. It is actually for dinner tomorrow as I'm
>> going to smoke a couple of briskets.
>>
>> Even thought he recipe says not to change anything, I go a little
>> lighter on the celery seed. Just my personal preference. I also
>> shred the cabbage and drain it some after it sits an hour or so.
>>
>> Here is the recipe for cole slaw from Corky's in Memphis. This is the
>> best I've tasted. Many ingredients are the same in other slaws- the
>> difference must be the celery seeds, vinegar, and mustard. Don't leave
>> anything out. It is perfect.
>>
>> Corky's Cole Slaw
>> -serves 6+
>>
>> 1 med. head green cabbage, shredded
>

>A little late here but what size would a medium head of cabbage be?

A "C" cup.