Do You Use Peanut Butter For Cooking/baking?

Judy Haffner

Nov 12, 2011, 4:14:11 PM11/12/11

For those that like peanut butter, what ways do you use it, as far as
baking and cooking go?

P & J sandwiches have long been a favorite in many households of all
ages, and then there is the obvious, putting it on toast, various other
sandwich combinations, pancakes, etc., but what are some other things
you like to prepare with it?

Do you use both creamy and crunchy? Have a favorite brand? I have heard
it's really going up in price, but the price at Costco this week remains
the same as it has been for a long time, but thinking maybe will take a
big jump all at once, I did pick up another twin pack of it, as it has a
good shelf date on it.

Judy

Julie Bove

Nov 12, 2011, 4:30:59 PM11/12/11

"Judy Haffner" <jhaf...@webtv.net> wrote in message
Not any more because my daughter is allergic to it. Prior to the allergy
the only thing I really ever put it in was fudge or cookies. I don't like
the taste of peanuts in savory foods.

I prefer crunchy but don't often buy it at Costco. Unless my husband is
home and really in the mood for peanut butter there is no way I can finish
one jar let alone two! I used to buy it and then give one jar to the food
bank. But I haven't bought any there in a while.

Message has been deleted

Brooklyn1

Nov 12, 2011, 4:48:32 PM11/12/11
On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 12:14:11 -0900, jhaf...@webtv.net (Judy Haffner)
wrote:
I mostly eat peanut butter directly from the jar with a spoon.

zxcvbob

Nov 12, 2011, 4:53:27 PM11/12/11
Peanut butter cookies, and (occasionally) sweet potato & peanut butter
soup. That's about all. It makes a pretty good snack with cheese
crackers, but most brands of PB are too sweet.

-Bob

Charlotte L. Blackmer

Nov 12, 2011, 4:57:47 PM11/12/11
In article <28445-4E...@storefull-3253.bay.webtv.net>,
Judy Haffner <jhaf...@webtv.net> wrote:

>For those that like peanut butter, what ways do you use it, as far as
>baking and cooking go?
>
>P & J sandwiches have long been a favorite in many households of all
>ages, and then there is the obvious, putting it on toast, various other
>sandwich combinations, pancakes, etc., but what are some other things
>you like to prepare with it?

Peanut sauce for noodles
Nigella's peanut butter squares
Peanut butter cookies (with or without peanut butter cups) - one recipe I
have has the advantage of being gluten-free

I don't eat it plain on bread/crackers/celery much at all, though it was a
standard lunch/snack when I was a kid. When I was a Very Hungry
Teenager, one of my standard after school snacks was graham crackers
topped with PB, cottage cheese, and honey. Bananas are good with this if
you've gottem. I could be talked into repeating this minus the cottage
cheese.

Chunky is good for peanutty noodles if you whiz it together in the FP IMO,
but most of the stuff in my cupboard is "creamy".

zxcvbob

Nov 12, 2011, 5:01:12 PM11/12/11
I like peanut noodles (buy it at Noodles restaurant sometimes), but I
haven't come up with a sauce at home that I really like. I think I use
too much PB.

-Bob

Kalmia

Nov 12, 2011, 4:35:27 PM11/12/11
I keep both types on hand. I love to use it for a Thai peanut sauce
recipe - with tofu and shrimp.

I am also nuts about the stuff with cream cheese on bagels, toast,
waffles.

Treat yourself to a good one - Tree of Life. Not cheap, but verrry
flavorful.

gloria.p

Nov 12, 2011, 5:09:47 PM11/12/11
On 11/12/2011 2:14 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> For those that like peanut butter, what ways do you use it, as far as
> baking and cooking go?
>
> P& J sandwiches have long been a favorite in many households of all
> ages, and then there is the obvious, putting it on toast, various other
> sandwich combinations, pancakes, etc., but what are some other things
> you like to prepare with it?

Peanut butter cookies. Many SE Asian dishes call for peanut butter in
the sauce.

I used to make "buckeyes" as part of a CHristmas cookie and confection
assortment. Peanut butter mixed with (IIRC) crushed cookie crumbs,
rolled into nickel-sized balls and dipped in dark chocolate with just a
small circle of pb showing on top so they'd look like the namesake buckeyes.

> Do you use both creamy and crunchy? Have a favorite brand? I have heard
> it's really going up in price, but the price at Costco this week remains
> the same as it has been for a long time, but thinking maybe will take a
> big jump all at once, I did pick up another twin pack of it, as it has a
> good shelf date on it.

The "natural" types are tasty but often hard to spread. I don't mind
chunky but rarely buy it as the grandkids don't like it. Peter Pan is
tasty. Cashew butter is also yummy.

EVERYTHING is going up in price yet we keep being told there's no
inflation.

gloria p

M. JL Esq.

Nov 12, 2011, 5:38:09 PM11/12/11
There was a long thread about this a month or so ago iirc, let me know
if you are interested in the Asian "peanut sauce" and i can repost the
little bit of info i have.
--
JL
Message has been deleted

George Leppla

Nov 12, 2011, 7:17:02 PM11/12/11
On 11/12/2011 3:14 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> For those that like peanut butter, what ways do you use it, as far as
> baking and cooking go?

Becca makes a sauce for Spring Rolls that has creamy peanut butter as
the main ingredient.

She makes the sauce, I make the Spring Rolls and there is harmony in the
Universe.

George L

Brooklyn1

Nov 12, 2011, 8:09:38 PM11/12/11
Peanut butter is one of those foods that when I get the urge I want to
eat it NOW! So I grab a spoon and eat some directly from the jar. I
honestly can't remember the last time I spread some on anything.

sf

Nov 12, 2011, 8:18:46 PM11/12/11
On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 12:14:11 -0900, jhaf...@webtv.net (Judy Haffner)
wrote:

Try making flourless peanut butter cookies. So good!

Ingredients

1 cup peanut butter
3/4-1 cup white sugar (depends on your sweet tooth)
1 egg

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).

Combine ingredients and drop by teaspoonfuls on cookie sheet.
Bake for 8 minutes. Let cool.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Jerry Avins

Nov 12, 2011, 9:37:08 PM11/12/11
On Nov 12, 4:14 pm, jhaff...@webtv.net (Judy Haffner) wrote:
I used to make peanut cookies on rainy days when I was a kid. As for
brand, it was probably Finast. Nowadays, when I need peanut butter in
a recipe, I use Crazy Richard when I can get it or some other no-salt
nothing-but-peanuts brand. Nowadays, I mostly use PB to make cold
sesame noodles (and of course, on bread.) It also makes a wonderful
dog treat.

Jerry

Julie Bove

Nov 12, 2011, 11:29:44 PM11/12/11

"gloria.p" <gpue...@comcast.net> wrote in message
Yep.

Storrmmee

Nov 13, 2011, 12:41:03 AM11/13/11
cookies, fudge and in some asian dishes as peanut sauce, Lee

Judy Haffner

Nov 13, 2011, 12:09:24 PM11/13/11

Kalmia wrote:

>I keep both types on hand. I love to use
> it for a Thai peanut sauce recipe - with
> tofu and shrimp.

I usually have both on hand too, as some things particularly call for
the crunchy p. butter. My hubby's favorite P. Butter & Chocolate Chip
Cookies uses the crunchy.

I love Chicken Pad Thai with that wonderful peanut sauce. I have a good
way of making Thai Chicken also using peanut butter in the coating.

Judy

Judy Haffner

Nov 13, 2011, 12:15:51 PM11/13/11

zxcvbob wrote:

>Peanut butter cookies, and (occasionally)
> sweet potato & peanut butter soup.
> That's about all. It makes a pretty good
> snack with cheese crackers, but most
> brands of PB are too sweet.

Don't they have peanut butter that contains no sugar? I don't find any
too sweet, and especially mixed with other ingredients. I do make P. B.
cookies quite often, as they always go over well. I've used it in soup,
but not with sweet potatoes, so must say that sounds interesting....care
to share the recipe?

Judy

Whirled Peas

Nov 13, 2011, 12:25:55 PM11/13/11
On 11/12/2011 01:14 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> For those that like peanut butter, what ways do you use it, as far as
> baking and cooking go?
>
> P& J sandwiches have long been a favorite in many households of all
> ages, and then there is the obvious, putting it on toast, various other
> sandwich combinations, pancakes, etc., but what are some other things
> you like to prepare with it?
>
> Do you use both creamy and crunchy? Have a favorite brand? I have heard
> it's really going up in price, but the price at Costco this week remains
> the same as it has been for a long time, but thinking maybe will take a
> big jump all at once, I did pick up another twin pack of it, as it has a
> good shelf date on it.
>
> Judy

An idea I learned on this NG - toasted rye bread spread with peanut
butter, topped with an egg, poached or over easy. I like to mash the egg
on top of the peanut butter toast and sprinkle it with hot sauce.

Judy Haffner

Nov 13, 2011, 12:21:26 PM11/13/11

JL wrote:

>There was a long thread about this a
> month or so ago iirc, let me know if you
> are interested in the Asian "peanut
> sauce" and i can repost the little bit of
> info i have.

Maybe it was before the 3rd week in Sept.? I don't recall it, but
sooner, or later probably all food topics will be "reruns", but then is
always new posters coming in, and therefore, new ideas and suggestions.

The Asian peanut sauce sounds interesting, please share what you have on
it? Thanks.

Judy

Judy Haffner

Nov 13, 2011, 12:32:31 PM11/13/11

lal...@cujo.com (l, not -l) wrote:

>For last Sunday's family get-together I
>made individual "peanut butter cup"
> pies. Using Keebler graham cracker
> crust mini's (they come 6 to a package)
> I filled each crust with one ounce (1/8
> cup/2 tblsp) of peanut butter filling and
> topped with one ounce of chocolate
> pudding.

So you also have family get-togethers on Sunday, just as we do! Today
I'm making Buttermilk Brownies and Lemon Squares for them, so nothing
with peanut butter.

>Peanut butter filler:

>1/2 cup peanut butter, natural, chunky   -
> I use Smucker's Natural Chunky
>3 tablespoons butter
>1 cup sugar or Splenda
>6 whole mini graham cracker crumb pie
> crust

>Chocolate topping:
>1 cup skim milk
>1/2 package chocolate pudding and pie
> flling

This sounds wonderful, and would be something I'll bet the grandchildren
would think was great, so will have to give them a try. I wouldn't use
Splenda, or skim milk though.

>Crunchy peanut butter is great with ice
> cream; I put a little on top of a scoop
> then drizzle a ribbon of chocolate syrup
> over it.

I bet that would be good alright! P. butter adds flavor to most
anything....biscuits, main dishes, soups, salads, and Peanut Butter Pie
is hard to beat, as are the cookies (of any kind) and in cakes/frosting
(I make a chocolate cake with the most wonderful p. butter frosting on
it) and in breads. I even make a fruitcake for the holidays with peanut
butter in it!

Judy

Judy Haffner

Nov 13, 2011, 12:38:01 PM11/13/11

George L wrote:

>Becca makes a sauce for Spring Rolls
> that has creamy peanut butter as the
> main ingredient.

>She makes the sauce, I make the Spring
> Rolls and there is harmony in the
< Universe.

They sound delicious! We love spring rolls, but never tasted any with a
peanut sauce in them, that I recollect, but I bet that would be tasty in
them!

Judy

Judy Haffner

Nov 13, 2011, 12:42:06 PM11/13/11

sf wrote:

>Try making flourless peanut butter
> cookies. So good!

>Ingredients
>1 cup peanut butter
>3/4-1 cup white sugar (depends on your
> sweet tooth) 1 egg

>Directions
>Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180
> degrees C).

>Combine ingredients and drop by
> teaspoonfuls on cookie sheet. Bake for
> 8 minutes. Let cool.

These are GREAT, aren't they?! Hubby couldn't believe how they were made
(with so few ingredients) when I told him, and told me I could make them
again...anytime (and I have!) <:))

Judy

Message has been deleted

zxcvbob

Nov 13, 2011, 2:12:30 PM11/13/11
I don't puree the soup, I puree or mash a little of it but leave most of
the chunks. I use smooth or chunky PB, whichever I grab first. Also, I
don't add tomato juice, I use canned sliced or crushed or stewed
tomatoes and reduce the sugar if using stewed:

WEST AFRICAN PEANUT SOUP
(from "Sundays at the Moosewood Restaurant")

2 cups chopped onion
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp cayenne or other ground chiles
1 tsp grated peeled fresh ginger
1 cup chopped carrots
2 cups chopped sweet potatoes
4 cups vegetable stock or water
2 cups tomato juice
1 cup smooth peanut butter
1 Tbsp sugar
chopped scallions
chopped roasted peanuts

Sauté onion in oil until it is transluscent. Stir in cayenne and ginger.
Add carrots and sauté a couple minutes more. Mix in potatoes and stock,
bring to a boil, simmer 15 minutes (until the vegetables are tender).
Puree the vegetables with tomato juice (and some of the cooking liquid
if necessary) in a blender or food processor. Return the puree to the
pot. Stir in the peanut butter until smooth. Check sweetness and add
sugar if necessary. Reheat gently, using a heat difuser if necessary to
prevent scorching. Add more water, stock, or tomato juice to make a
thinner soup if desired. Serve topped with plenty of chopped scallions
and chopped roasted peanuts.

Serves 6-8

Jim Elbrecht

Nov 13, 2011, 2:48:40 PM11/13/11
zxcvbob <zxc...@charter.net> wrote:

-snip-

>I don't puree the soup, I puree or mash a little of it but leave most of
>the chunks. I use smooth or chunky PB, whichever I grab first. Also, I
>don't add tomato juice, I use canned sliced or crushed or stewed
>tomatoes and reduce the sugar if using stewed:

I have a similar one simmering today. I use celery and not carrots,
and add a couple cups of adzuki beans. More ginger, no sugar. A dash
of cumin. Used a can of diced tomatoes. My recipe calls for red
sweet pepper, but I only had a green one.

I'll use chunky peanut butter when the time comes. we garnish with
chopped peanuts and squeeze a 1/4 lime over each dish. [and we
don't puree it either]

Jim
[leaving Bob's recipe]

jmcquown

Nov 13, 2011, 2:55:59 PM11/13/11

"zxcvbob" <zxc...@charter.net> wrote in message
Publix has a store brand of natural peanut butter that contains nothing but
peanuts and salt. It's also cheaper than JIF or Skippy or whatever those
other brands are that have an ingredient list as long as my arm. Sure, the
peanut oil separates and rises to the top of the jar and you have to stir it
up. The jar recommends stirring it well after opening then store it in the
refrigerator to prevent further separation, which I gladly do. You can let
it sit out for a few minutes to get soft and more spreadable - no biggie.
It is delicious, pure peanut butter. And it's about $1 less per jar than
the name brand stuff.

As for the OP's question, I generally only use PB on toast. On very rare
occasions I might bake cookies.

Jill

M. JL Esq.

Nov 13, 2011, 3:18:50 PM11/13/11
sf wrote:

> Try making flourless peanut butter cookies. So good!
>
> Ingredients
>
> 1 cup peanut butter
> 3/4-1 cup white sugar (depends on your sweet tooth)
> 1 egg
>
> Directions
>
> Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
>
> Combine ingredients and drop by teaspoonfuls on cookie sheet.
> Bake for 8 minutes. Let cool.

And then partly dip about 1/2 the cookie in some good melted chocolate
and let the chocolate harden around it.
--
JL

M. JL Esq.

Nov 13, 2011, 4:04:13 PM11/13/11
My mistake, the thread was in "another group" but here is the post i
made there.

JL Wrote:
>> I often make a Chinese peanut sauce with it [peanut butter]. To
serve with sauted
>> cabbage, rice noodles & a bit of pork.
>

> Could you go into a bit more detail please?

I saute the sliced cabbage and rice noodles in peanut and/or sesame oil,
add the pre-cooked
& sliced or shredded pork and heat through and then add the sauce and
simmer for a minute or so.

The sauce is a quick and easy, only i don't have any specific recipe, i
live near a large Asian shopping area and when i first started shopping
there i noticed a few "American" products every Asian food store seemed
to stock, peanut butter (both smooth and chunky) being one of them.

Asking around a bit i found out that the peanut butter is used with
chicken or fish stock and various spices to make the Chinese peanut sauce.

Again, i don't know how authentic it is, whether it is in any way
traditional to Chinese cooking or is an adaptation by Chinese immigrants
to the USA.

One thing i do differently than Chinese cooks is that i make up the
sauce in a food processor, tasting as i mix it, then transfer to a
small sauce pan and heat up and only then pour over the dish i am using
it on. The Chinese & Thai sources i have found for this make the sauce
in the wok with the other ingredients at the end of the cooking of the dish.

For about 1 cup of sauce i use about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of chunky peanut
butter, chicken or fish stock (thin to desired consistency) and then
add sesame oil, soy sauce, mashed ginger, mashed garlic, cayenne flakes
(all 'to taste") and to vary this from time to time i add lemon/lime
juice, sake, vinegar, cilantro, Chinese 5 spice's mix, cumin, oregano,
sliced green onions to garnish. The elderly relative i used to cook for
liked this sauce with a bit of curry powder in it.

As mentioned i put all the ingredients (except the green onions) in a
food processor (with warm stock) and mix just to combine, then i heat up
in a sauce pan to blend or "marry" the flavours and then serve over or
with any particular dish.

Here are a couple of recipes i looked up on the net, there's a lot of
them. Im partial to sweet vinegar's but many recipes call for rice
vinegar's. I keep thinking a good dark beer would go well in this sauce
but haven't got around to trying it yet.

Honey Peanut Sauce

1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Combine honey, peanut butter, soy sauce, cilantro and hot pepper flakes;
mix well.

Thai peanut sauce

1/2 cup peanut butter (always, always unsweetened !!)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon hot chili oil
OR
1/8 teaspoon hot red chili pepper flakes
2 spring onions, sliced

PREPARATION:

Stir ingredients together and heat to allow flavours to marry. Do not
boil. Serve with dumplings or noodles.

I can only encourage people to do some independent research,
especially if
there is a Chinese or Thai restaurant you like and sample their sauce,
often, in Thai restaurants, you can get it as a salad dressing. Or
even look up the Thai dish "Satay".

While i much prefer a beef satay here's a link to a rather decent
chicken satay that includes a Thai peanut sauce recipe. which i post
more for reference than anything else, i am not familiar enough with
Asian fish sauces to really comment on them.

http://thaifood.about.com/od/thairecipes/r/thaichickensate.htm

Googleing, as i mentioned, will turn up many, many other examples of
variations on this thinned commercial peanut butter sauce, i was about
to say i buy peanut butter just to make the sauce with, but then i
remembered i don't buy the commercially processed & packaged peanut
butter, rather i buy raw shelled peanuts for less than $1.00 USD per
pound and make my own peanut butter:)

I prefer to grind the peanuts raw rather than roasted.

But its a very forgiving sauce, it can be spiced or seasoned any way you
like, the ER was fond of a sweet version of it i used tarragon in.

And of course .... i put garlic in my peanut butter as well as any sauce
i make from it:)

Even the use of chicken stock is not necessary, i understand some
Buddhists make a "dhal" of rice and lentils and serve this peanut sauce
over it made with water rather than chicken stock. I have used a veggie
stock to good effect but i do prefer a chicken stock for this peanut sauce.

If i were more familiar with the Asian fish sauces and spices i might
use a fish stock but the one time i tried making the peanut sauce with
fish stock i didn't care for the results. Which surprised me as i am
very fond of using a fish stock to make a western style sauce with. And
most of the more authentic Asian recipes call for the ubiquitous
commercial, often fermented, highly salted, product "fish sauce" as a
liquid, seasoning ingredient in the peanut sauce.
--
JL

sf

Nov 14, 2011, 2:37:36 AM11/14/11
On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 08:42:06 -0900, jhaf...@webtv.net (Judy Haffner)
wrote:

I've been meaning to try them with another nut butter, but haven't. I
have a jar of almond butter that I'm sure my hubby would love as
cookies because he's wild about almonds.

sf

Nov 14, 2011, 2:39:00 AM11/14/11
On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 12:18:50 -0800, "M. JL Esq." <jpst...@isp.com>
wrote:
Aha, you're suggesting that I guild the lily? I can do that. ;)

M. JL Esq.

Nov 14, 2011, 11:28:22 AM11/14/11
sf wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 12:18:50 -0800, "M. JL Esq." <jpst...@isp.com>
> wrote:
>

>>sf wrote:
>>

>>>Try making flourless peanut butter cookies. So good!
>>>
>>>Ingredients
>>>
>>>1 cup peanut butter
>>>3/4-1 cup white sugar (depends on your sweet tooth)
>>>1 egg
>>>
>>>Directions
>>>
>>>Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
>>>
>>>Combine ingredients and drop by teaspoonfuls on cookie sheet.
>>>Bake for 8 minutes. Let cool.
>>>

>>And then partly dip about 1/2 the cookie in some good melted chocolate
>>and let the chocolate harden around it.
>

> Aha, you're suggesting that I guild the lily? I can do that. ;)

I got hooked on them when i worked near a Mrs. Fields cookie shop.

I have also seen the peanut butter cookies with a depression in the top
that is filled with melted chocolate and left to harden.
--
JL

Jerry Avins

Nov 14, 2011, 11:37:13 AM11/14/11
On Nov 14, 2:39 am, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 12:18:50 -0800, "M. JL Esq." <jpsti...@isp.com>
> wrote:
>

> > sf wrote:
>
> > > Try making flourless peanut butter cookies.  So good!
>
> > > Ingredients
>
> > > 1 cup peanut butter
> > > 3/4-1 cup white sugar (depends on your sweet tooth)
> > > 1 egg
>
> > > Directions
>
> > > Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
>
> > > Combine ingredients and drop by teaspoonfuls on cookie sheet.
> > > Bake for 8 minutes. Let cool.
>
> > And then partly dip about 1/2  the cookie in some good melted chocolate
> > and let the chocolate harden around it.
>
> Aha, you're suggesting that I guild the lily?  I can do that.  ;)

Would that be the gilded lilies guild?

sf

Nov 14, 2011, 2:02:38 PM11/14/11
On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 08:28:22 -0800, "M. JL Esq." <jpst...@isp.com>
wrote:

> I got hooked on them when i worked near a Mrs. Fields cookie shop.
>
> I have also seen the peanut butter cookies with a depression in the top
> that is filled with melted chocolate and left to harden.

My DIL made the most amazing dessert last night. Think: shortbread
cookie cups filled with ganache (flavored with a touch of pomegranate
syrup/molasses); topped with whipped cream and pomegranate seeds.
YUM!

sf

Nov 14, 2011, 2:28:35 PM11/14/11
On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 08:37:13 -0800 (PST), Jerry Avins <j...@ieee.org>
wrote:
JL and I are notoriously bad spellers, so we know what we mean even if
nobody else can figure it out.

chizcurlz

Nov 14, 2011, 1:37:21 PM11/14/11

Judy Haffner;1682058 Wrote:
> For those that like peanut butter, what ways do you use it, as far as
> baking and cooking go?
>
> P & J sandwiches have long been a favorite in many households of all
> ages, and then there is the obvious, putting it on toast, various other
> sandwich combinations, pancakes, etc., but what are some other things
> you like to prepare with it?
>
> Do you use both creamy and crunchy? Have a favorite brand? I have heard
> it's really going up in price, but the price at Costco this week
> remains
> the same as it has been for a long time, but thinking maybe will take a
> big jump all at once, I did pick up another twin pack of it, as it has
> good shelf date on it.
>
> Judy

Yes, peanut butter is usually an ingredient for "KARE-KARE", a local
dish here in the Philippines.

--
chizcurlz

Cheryl

Nov 14, 2011, 8:15:15 PM11/14/11
On 11/12/2011 8:18 PM, sf wrote:

> Try making flourless peanut butter cookies. So good!
>
> Ingredients
>
> 1 cup peanut butter
> 3/4-1 cup white sugar (depends on your sweet tooth)
> 1 egg
>
> Directions
>
> Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
>
> Combine ingredients and drop by teaspoonfuls on cookie sheet.
> Bake for 8 minutes. Let cool.

I made those once and they are very rich. They tend to get very hard
when they cool, so if I make them again, they will have to be much
smaller so they become more like a crisp. I don't think I saw the
instruction to say a tsp but that sounds right. Everyone loved them
when I made them.

sf

Nov 14, 2011, 8:18:32 PM11/14/11
On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 20:15:15 -0500, Cheryl <jlhs...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
Huh. That didn't happen to me, but I don't like hard/crisp cookies -
so I under-baked them a bit.

zxcvbob

Nov 14, 2011, 8:20:50 PM11/14/11
Here's my versions. I don't remember where I originally found it:

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup (1/2 of 12 oz bag) semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix first five ingredients in medium bowl. Mix
in ch. chips. Using moistened hands, form generous 1 Tbsp dough for
each cookie into ball. Arrange on 2 ungreased baking sheets, spacing 2
inches apart. Bake cookies until puffed, golden on bottom and still
soft to touch in center, about 10 or 12 minutes. Cool on the cookie
sheets for 5 minutes. Carefully transfer to racks; cool completely.

-Bob