Worst cooking mistake you've made

Ron Day

Jan 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/7/97

She went back into the house
and prepared another salad. It seems that she kept the oil and vinegar
under the sink, along with cleaning fluids such as bleach. Well she
prepared the salad, poured the oil and vinegar (the bleach) on the
lettuce and mixed well. As she was carrying the salad out of the house
she smelled the bleach and realized what she had done--so right into the

ashpit!

Now I don't feel quite so embarassed at having confused the non-stick
spray
I had just had in my hand with the bright yellow can of Arm & Hammer
oven cleaner. Fortunately the cornbread stuck to the skillet when I
tried to
turn it out onto a plate, and when I picked up the can of "Pam" to ask
it why
it didn't work, I saw my mistake and, while I didn't have an ashpit, it
went straight into the trash.

MHL

Jan 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/9/97

The most common mistake people make, as far as I know, is to take sugar for
salt, or vice versa.

--
Still Water Runs Deep.
http://home.xl.ca/mpd

Piette

Jan 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/9/97

The worst cooking mistake I've made was when making a recipe called Pasta
St. Ambrose. I used artificial coffee cream instead of real cream. I had
picked the wrong thing up at the store, and didn't notice it until the last
moment, and thought why not? This recipe is a cream, tomato and parmesan
cheese based pasta sauce. The truly sad part of it is that I had grated a
lot of Parmigiano Reggiano which makes the dish superb. The outcome was
inedible. Live and learn.

Mary

Laura Kay Sunderlin

Jan 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/10/97

Well there was that time I had a huge pot of chicken stew cooking and
then threw in a huge bag of mixed wild and regular rice and then
discovered that a lot of that rice was, well...moving.

Or the time we thought of dying the cheese in the fondue pot green for
St. Patricks day. (visualize chunks of bread coated with green stringy
stuff)

And the time I forgot to put baking powder in the biscuits. Made nice
hocky pucks.

Laura

rmc...@acsu.buffalo.edu

Jan 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/10/97

When I was about 13, I decided to try my hand at making bread. And not
just any bread-- Swedish Limpa bread, a variety I had tasted during a
family outing. Well, I mixed in almost all of the ingredients, but I
couldn't find baking powder, so I figured it wasn't very important. The
yeast I used was ancient. And I wasn't too familiar with the concept
of "kneading" and "rising," so after slapping the poor bread dough
around on the counter for a few minutes, into the oven it went....
The end product was so rock-hard, I barely managed to taste the
creation after sawing off and endpiece. The rest of the bread was
put out of its misery.

Ever since my first visit to Spain (during college), I've enjoyed
making the popular Spanish tortilla, a thick egg cake with potatoes,
onions, etc. Most of my attempts have been successful, but some
cookware is not quite suited to the task, and in order to keep the
egg from sticking to the bottom of the pan (even in "non-stick" pans),
it is necessary to do as the Spanish do-- shake the pan vigorously
for several minutes while the egg mixture sets. Unfortunately, my
energy level has not always been so great, so several times the
egg has stuck. Part of the process of making Spanish tortilla is
to place a dish over the pan, flip the half-cooked egg cake onto
the plate, then slide the other half of the cake back into the pan
for completion. But on the occasions when the egg has stuck to the
pan, instead of flipping a half-cooked egg cake onto the dish, a
runny goo of egg and potatoes would come trickling out, and the mess
would ooze all over the dish, and then all over the sink or floor
below. After this disaster, it's depressing to look at the pan and
see the thin layer of cooked egg....

In grad school, on a cold, winter's night in New Jersey, I decided
to roast chestnuts for the first time. I had no idea that I had to
puncture the shells of the chestnuts before putting them in the oven.
After a few minutes, I heard one chestnut pop, and I thought that simply
meant they were done. So, I took them out of the oven before any others
popped. Big mistake! I left the chestnuts in the pan on the table, as
the nuts took turns _exploding_. I got caught in this mess, and I raced
around the kitchen trying to track and clean each horrible little mess
as it happened. Finally, I gave up, left the kitchen, shut the door,
and let the chestnuts finish themselves off. During the following
months, I found chestnut remains in the darndest little places!

____
\ / R. John McCaw * Department of Modern Languages and Literatures
\/ State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York 14260

mich...@acsu.buffalo.edu

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

Tried to make risotto after already cooking the rice in water.
Was able to use it for several days as a substitute for Elmer's Glue.

Many years ago I was in the habit of making a large salad filled with lots
of fresh parsley. One day I grabbed a head of cilantro by mistake (had
never tasted it). Filled the salad with the chopped cilantro, and dug in.
Wow.

-------------------------------
Michael Kankiewicz

Harry A. Demidavicius.

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

Regianno? you wealthy person, you! That must really have ticked you off.
Harry Demidavicius

Emily Breed

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

In article <Pine.GSO.3.95.97011...@conciliator.acsu.buffalo.edu>,

<mich...@acsu.buffalo.edu> wrote:
>Many years ago I was in the habit of making a large salad filled with lots
>of fresh parsley. One day I grabbed a head of cilantro by mistake (had
>never tasted it). Filled the salad with the chopped cilantro, and dug in.
>Wow.

My father does that deliberately. Since it's only been in the past few
years that I've learned to tolerate cilantro, if not actually enjoy it, it
makes dinner at his place a bit difficult occasionally...

If I'd ever been near a crushed bedbug I'd know if that's really what
cilantro smells like. For now, I'll take it on faith. :-)

Emily Breed emi...@best.com
"Neither one person, nor any number of persons, is warranted in saying to
another human creature of ripe years, that he shall not do with his life
for his own benefit what he chooses to do with it." -- John Stuart Mill

Kelly Best

Jan 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/18/97

When I was first learning to cook, I tried to make soup just like
grand-ma. Had lovely veggies, meat and the works in... only I forgot to
add the onion... and I wondered why it tasted like dishwater..

:)

I don't forget onions anymore.

--
Kelly Best
----------

Nichole

Jan 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/19/97

I started cooking only a few years ago, and one day I decided to
make an apple pie. I did everything perfect, and since I like spices I
added lots of nutmeg. At the time I didn't know what nutmeg looked like,
and I also didn't know that my mom had filled the nutmeg container with
garlic salt. Needless to say, the apple pie had a very pungent garlic
taste to it.

nicole bernadette hansen

Jan 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/23/97

Now, I know your mother didn't do this intentionally, but why on earth did
she name you NicHole with an 'h'? This is not the original spelling and
this is only the second time in my life I have seen it spelled this way
for real. I get so sick of people mispelling my name this way. I always
thought it was because people think of the name Nicholas. Perhaps this is
why a few people get named Nichole, because people like the sound of the
name but they have never seen it in print and they spell it wrong under
the influence of Nicholas. Sorry to rant like this, but it makes me
cringe to think someone else has my name but spelled that way, it just
will cause more mispelling of a name that should be straightforward.

Nicole

Chris Borgnaes

Jan 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/23/97

I once made a topping for lamb chops that called for anchovies, to add
saltiness. We didn't have any but I thought "hey, a fish is a fish,
right?" I used sardines instead. Ugh.

Nichole <suz...@cdsnet.net> wrote in article
<5bu96d$ksn$1...@news.cdsnet.net>...

Nancy Dooley

Jan 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/23/97

;-) having a bad day, Nicole? Here's another smiley to cheer you up
;-)

N.

Laura Ahr

Jan 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/24/97
to a...@openmarket.com

Nichole wrote:

> I started cooking only a few years ago, and one day I decided to
> make an apple pie. I did everything perfect, and since I like spices I
> added lots of nutmeg. At the time I didn't know what nutmeg looked like,
> and I also didn't know that my mom had filled the nutmeg container with
> garlic salt. Needless to say, the apple pie had a very pungent garlic
> taste to it.

Hey, all...

I'm sort of new here, and what better way of introducing myself than to
embarrass myself publicly, yes? :)

Several years ago, for my high school senior prom, my date and I and two
other couples decided to save money and make our own dinner, rather than
to go out to a fancy restaurant.

I was in charge of dessert. I decided to make a rich chocolate kahlua
cake. The recipe was for one round layer, and I wanted two layers, so I
doubled the recipe...almost. I forgot to double the flour!!

What a heavy cake! Wasn't so bad-tasting, but no one could finish their
piece...

Second runner-up would have to be the time I tried red beans & rice and
burned the beans. Would have been okay had I salvaged the ones that
didn't burn. However, I didn't realize right away what had happened, so
I stirred the burnt beans in with the good ones. Eccchh!

:)
--Laura

--
Laura Ahr Voice: 617-949-7012
Open Market, Inc. Fax: 617-949-7133

Laura Pearlman

Jan 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/25/97

When I was very, very young (don't remember exactly how old, but I
remember realizing I'd probably get in trouble for using the stove by
myself), I decided to make some fudge. The recipe called for corn
syrup, but we didn't have any. I found what I thought would be an
ideal substitute, though -- something that had a very similar name
and even looked a lot like corn syrup.

If you ever find yourself in need of a bitter, slimy substance, just
substitute corn oil for corn syrup in any fudge recipe.

-- Laura

Mary Elizabeth

Jan 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/26/97

nicole bernadette hansen wrote:

> Now, I know your mother didn't do this intentionally, but why on earth did
> she name you NicHole with an 'h'? This is not the original spelling and
> this is only the second time in my life I have seen it spelled this way
> for real. I get so sick of people mispelling my name this way.

Huh? She's not misspelling your name, she's spelling her own
name...however she pleases.

MEB

ba...@uoft02.utoledo.edu

Jan 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/26/97

Not my story, but my fiance's .....

One day, he wanted jello. So he get's his jello, and he boils his water
and then ... note following instructions on a pre '80ies package exactly ...
add the contents of packet to boiling water...
.... causing said water to boil up furiously while he stirred it until
dissolved, and then poured into a pan to set.

Ever tasted burned Jello? Never once did the package say to take the pot
off of the stove >8)

Anna

RCC

Jan 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/27/97

> On Thu, 23 Jan 1997 12:26:07 GMT, nbha...@midway.uchicago.edu (nicole
> bernadette hansen) wrote:
>
> >Now, I know your mother didn't do this intentionally, but why on earth did
> >she name you NicHole with an 'h'? This is not the original spelling and

<snippin' it up here, boss>

Sorry to rant like this, but it makes me
> >cringe to think someone else has my name but spelled that way
>

> N.

...but she *doesn't*.

Enid Yvonne Karr

Jan 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/27/97

Back when I was a novice cook, I made a cornbread one
day for my housemates. I couldn't believe how lovely
it looked, it was so much better risen than any I
had ever seen.

My housemates bit into it, and ran to the sink and started
spitting it out and gasping for water. I'm not sure by what
factor I messed up the baking powder/baking soda, but it
must have been significant.....

Douglas Jackson

Jan 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/27/97

In our last episode of [rec.food.cooking], Nichole wrote:
> I started cooking only a few years ago, and one day I decided to
> make an apple pie. I did everything perfect, and since I like spices I
> added lots of nutmeg. At the time I didn't know what nutmeg looked like,
> and I also didn't know that my mom had filled the nutmeg container with
> garlic salt. Needless to say, the apple pie had a very pungent garlic
> taste to it.

My apple pie experience happened when my mom and I were making pies for
Thanksgiving. She wasn't feeling well (she has MS) so she left the rest
of the pie directions to me. I put the apples in the crust, after
sprinkling a little flour in the bottom of the crust. Then I dotted the
pie with butter, added some cinnamon and nutmeg and sugar, put the top
crust on and slashed it a few times and baked it. I have a habit of not
putting items away when I use them, About an hour later my mom comes into
the kitchen and says "What is the cocoa doing out?" I had put cocoa in
the pie instead of cinnamon...2 big tablespoons, but you could hardly tell
once baked. We got a good laugh, though it's not my WORST mistake in the
kitchen.

Jennie

--
_.-------Commercial e-mail will be read at a cost of AUS$25 each-------.
_ // I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed |

Wally Spence

Jan 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/29/97

My wife was trying to boil some water to make instant scalloped
potatoes, and shortly after adding the butter, milk and potato mix, she
discovered that the bowl she was using on the burner was NOT meant to be
used on a burner.

A loud BANG was heard, and the entire stovetop was flooded with a mess.
It ran down into the gas burners and even extinguished the pilot lights.

Runny scalloped potatoes and glass everywhere. She now uses metal pots.
Wally

RCC

Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97

Habib Delgado wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jan 1997 12:26:07 GMT, nbha...@midway.uchicago.edu (nicole
> bernadette hansen) wrote:
>
> >Now, I know your mother didn't do this intentionally, but why on earth did
> >she name you NicHole with an 'h'? This is not the original spelling and
> >this is only the second time in my life I have seen it spelled this way
> >for real. I get so sick of people mispelling my name this way. I always
> >thought it was because people think of the name Nicholas. Perhaps this is
> >why a few people get named Nichole, because people like the sound of the
> >name but they have never seen it in print and they spell it wrong under
> >the influence of Nicholas. Sorry to rant like this, but it makes me
> >cringe to think someone else has my name but spelled that way, it just
> >will cause more mispelling of a name that should be straightforward.
> >
> >Nicole
> >
> How the hell did you decide that YOUR name is the one that is spelled
> properly? How arrogant! and then to actually bitch at someone else
> because their name isn't spelled the same as YOURS, as if your name
> were to be held up as an example for all mankind to view as an example
> of how it SHOULD be spelled. Not the original spelling?? Who gives a
> damn? Sick of people misspelling YOUR name this way? Well, unless you
> are EXTREMELY old, I suspect that there were people spelling it this
> way before your parents were born. Your arrogance absolutely astounds
> me, only to be seconded by your absolute self-centeredness. You must
> be the most absolutely anal person I have ever come across in any
> newsgroup. I don't believe I have ever seen ANYONE actually get pissed
> off and start belittling someone because they didn't spell their name
> in a manner that the instigator saw fit. Grow up--and try to stick to
> the subject of this newgroup, not the spelling of your pissy little
> name. Actually, you seem to be the one who should have the -hole
> suffix at the end of their name, but the first three letters aren't
> "nic", I assure you.

Habib! This newsgroup's getting better all the time. I rank this answer
3/10 for general meaning, but 8/10 for the "sting in the tail"

Damn. Now you got me all cheerful. Here's a recipe.

I haven't seen any examples of nonya cuisine here (with the possible
exception of laksa), but I think it's worthwhile, because it's a little
different. Nonya food, for those who don't know (sorry to bore those who
do), is Malaysian food with a difference. It's the chinese settlers'
traditional cuisine, so as such it is a cross between far south-east
Asian (Malaysian/Indonesian) and Chinese food, although most of it is
definitely closer to Malaysian/Indonesian food, because the spices of
that cuisine are distinctive. This recipe is one of the more
Chinese-ish.

Really, it is not very well-known food world-wide, so you might be
interested to try it. I have a few other recipes if you're interested.

Babi Chin (Braised Pork in Soya Sauce)

3/4 cup chopped shallot or red onion
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 thumb-sized piece cinnamon

2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons dark soya sauce

1.4Kg (3 pounds) shoulder pork, with skin.
-you can try pork spareribs (Chinese cut, across the bone) if you like
them.
2 lengths sugarcane, 1 foot long (If you can get it. Sorry)

1 tablespoon coriander powder
3 tablespoons preserved soya beans, pounded finely

10 dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked in water for 1/2 hour.
1/2 kilo (1 pound) tinned bamboo shoots, cut into thick slices

instructions:

Cut meat into cubes

Remove skin of sugarcane (as if you've got it), cut into large chunks.

Fry shallots, garlic and cinnamon in oil for 5 minutes. Add sugar, soya
sauce, salt, soya beans, coriander powder, fry for a few minutes, add
cup-and a quarter of water, and the sugarcane, if you have it.

Put in pork, reduce until sauce is almost gone, add cup-and-a-quarter of
water again, boil for five minutes.

Add mushrooms and bamboo shoots, simmer until tender.

Serve with rice.

Deborah Maston

Jan 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/31/97

Worst Cooking Mistake

Moved away from home when I was 19 and wanted desperately to impress
the boyfriend. His favorite was Spaghetti ... I wasn't sure how to
cook the noodles (don't laugh) so I called mom and asked her. She
explained the "process" all the way through. At the end she addes
don't forget to RINSE THE SPAGHETTI before you sit down ... this gets
rid of the "sticky stuff". Hmm... I misunderstood and rinsed the
spaghetti BEFORE I cooked it ! What a clumpy mess!

Nichole

Jan 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/31/97

It would seem to me, that in this day and age it wouldn't matter at all
how someone spelled their name. I could spell my name Nicoal or Nikole or
Nikhole for all that it really matters. Who cares how a name is spelled,
and how do you know what the original spelling is. Nichole is probably
derived from Nicholas and is the most natural spelling for the feminine
version. Nicole is the feminine form of Nicolas, which is the french form
of Nicholas, which is oringinally greek. So it appears to me, that it
doesn't really matter, and no one should really care, how a name is
spelled.

Nichole DiFuria
(don't yell because I captilize the F)

Nancy Dooley

Jan 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/31/97

>Nichole DiFuria
> (don't yell because I captilize the F)
This reminds me - the current editor of one of my magazines (I think
Midwest Living, but can't remember) is Ms. < LemMon >. I mean, give
me a break. I doubt that capitalization ever existed before she made
it up.

(And if I'm wrong, you can beat me with a wet emoticon.)

Nancy.

"Get your facts first, and then you can
distort 'em as much as you please." (Samuel Clemens)

Lady

Feb 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/1/97

In article <32F016...@alink.com> Wally Spence <WSp...@alink.com> writes:
>Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 23:31:32 -0400
>From: Wally Spence <WSp...@alink.com>
>Subject: Re: Worst cooking mistake you've made

>My wife was trying to boil some water to make instant scalloped
>potatoes, and shortly after adding the butter, milk and potato mix, she
>discovered that the bowl she was using on the burner was NOT meant to be
>used on a burner.

My favorite was the first time I tried to make a marble cake. Now, please,
keep in mind, I was about 10 years old. I mixed the yellow cake, I mixed the
chocolate, then I put them in the pan and baked it. Imagine my surprise when
I, after careful icing, cut the cake to find this weird muddy color. I guess
I thought that when the two flavors were MIXED TOGETHER they automatically
marbled!!!!!!

You may all laugh now!

LadySnow

May & Val

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

When I was about 10 I made a chocolate cream pie. First I made the
crust...didn't know you were suppose to use a fork to prick holes in the
unbaked pie crust. The crust puffed up nicely, so I pushed it back down
in the plate. Next I made the chocolate pudding and poured it into the
broke crust. Let it cool and put the whipped cream on top. I proudly
presented the pie to my family. When I cut it and tried to serve it the
pudding ran all over the place. For some reason the pudding never set
up. Bless my dad, he ate the mess I served and then asked for a second
piece and told me how good it was. Very unusual for my dad... a very
picky eater. BTW I still hate to make pies and get stressed out when I
make them.

May

B. Keith Ryder

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

In article <32f21fef...@news.uiowa.edu>,

Nancy Dooley <nancy-...@uiowa.edu> wrote:
> >Nichole DiFuria
> > (don't yell because I captilize the F)
> This reminds me - the current editor of one of my magazines (I think
> Midwest Living, but can't remember) is Ms. < LemMon >. I mean, give
> me a break. I doubt that capitalization ever existed before she made
> it up.

Janet Jackson did this for a while. When she was on the TV show "Good
Times", she billed herself as "JaNet Jackson".

Juh-NETT??

> (And if I'm wrong, you can beat me with a wet emoticon.)

I'll leave that to the Mounties.

--

BKeith
------
| -- Mayor Marion Barry, Washington, DC

lori ann selke

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

In article <32F0BB...@extro.ucc.su.au>,
RCC <rcol...@extro.ucc.su.au> wrote:

>I haven't seen any examples of nonya cuisine here (with the possible
>exception of laksa), but I think it's worthwhile, because it's a little
>different. Nonya food, for those who don't know (sorry to bore those who
>do), is Malaysian food with a difference. It's the chinese settlers'
>traditional cuisine, so as such it is a cross between far south-east
>Asian (Malaysian/Indonesian) and Chinese food, although most of it is
>definitely closer to Malaysian/Indonesian food, because the spices of
>that cuisine are distinctive. This recipe is one of the more
>Chinese-ish.

<recipe snipped, but thanks!>

>Really, it is not very well-known food world-wide, so you might be
>interested to try it. I have a few other recipes if you're interested.

I had gotten the impression (though I can't exactly pinpoint from where)
that Nonya cuisine was being slated as the Next Big Thing in terms
of Asian food "trends" in the U.S.

Lori

--
se...@midway.uchicago.edu
"I mean, just because you dress in black and listen to cool music and wear

cassandra kenfield

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

I put tomatoes and broccoli etc into my pressure cooker and, at the end of
the cooking period, ran the pot under cold water (my usual method for
cooling it down) and, when I heard the steam and pressure exhausted, went
to open the lid...it would not budge. WELL, "knowing" that the pressure
had been discharged, I assumed some cooking liquid had made it stick, so I
decided to push it really hard....fortunately I stepped to the side to get
some leverage...the lid flew off, went through the doorway to the dining
room and out the window between the dining room and the living room and
made a permanent dent on the wall in the living room. The broccoli and
tomatoes went straight up to the (very high) ceiling and started raining
down on my and everything else. (I still have some little scars from the
steaming veggies).
When I realized that I did not have a hole in my head etc, I got the
humour of it all and started laughing so hard I had to sit down. My
roommate thought I was hysterical and started running around looking for
the vodka (her remedy par excellence for any emergency.). I don't think I
have ever had so much fun in my kitchen! (except for the cleanup)
If I had not stepped out of the path of that lid, I would not be sitting
here typing cute little notes about it!!

RCC

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

lori ann selke wrote:

> In article <32F0BB...@extro.ucc.su.au>,
> RCC <rcol...@extro.ucc.su.au> wrote:
>
> >I haven't seen any examples of nonya cuisine here (with the possible
> >exception of laksa), but I think it's worthwhile, because it's a little
> >different. Nonya food, for those who don't know (sorry to bore those who
> >do), is Malaysian food with a difference. It's the chinese settlers'
> >traditional cuisine, so as such it is a cross between far south-east
> >Asian (Malaysian/Indonesian) and Chinese food, although most of it is
> >definitely closer to Malaysian/Indonesian food, because the spices of
> >that cuisine are distinctive. This recipe is one of the more
> >Chinese-ish.
>
> <recipe snipped, but thanks!>
>
> >Really, it is not very well-known food world-wide, so you might be
> >interested to try it. I have a few other recipes if you're interested.
>
> I had gotten the impression (though I can't exactly pinpoint from where)
> that Nonya cuisine was being slated as the Next Big Thing in terms
> of Asian food "trends" in the U.S.

Wow! Really? How odd. I've seen nonya-style dishes here (in Australia),
but always hidden in Indonesian/malaysian restaurants and not promted as
separate. I reckon it's not different enough from Malaysian/Indonesian
to justify being a big trend, but hey, stranger things could happen.

Lin Nah

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

btw the spelling for it is "Nyonya"

RCC (rcol...@extro.ucc.su.au) wrote:
: lori ann selke wrote:
: >
[...]

There is or was a Nyonya restaurant in Hawaii somewhere and Guam I think
Run by some distant relatives. However they are so old that I am not
really sure if they are still around. (it is my aunt who keeps track
of things like that )

: Wow! Really? How odd. I've seen nonya-style dishes here (in Australia),

: but always hidden in Indonesian/malaysian restaurants and not promted as
: separate. I reckon it's not different enough from Malaysian/Indonesian
: to justify being a big trend, but hey, stranger things could happen.

Yes and you may not even be told it is nyonya food.
IT will be under Malaysian or Indonesian cuisine.

This is because the chinese settlers settled along the straights of
Malacca with particular concentrations in Malacca(Malaysia),
Penang (Malaysia), a few areas in Sumatra (island in the indonesian
archipelago) and Singapore.

These chinese settlers settled many many years ago, and adapted their
food to incorporate local ingredients. Their clothes and language
are also adopted from the local Malay. ie clothes - they wear sarong
etc. Chinese language is hokkien with quite a high percentage of
Malay words in it to the extent that someone from Taiwan (ho speaks
hokkien)will probably not understand the Hokkien spoken in Penang.
It is not unusual to find a Nyonya very fluent in colloquil Malay.

Please do not confuse Nyonyas with the chinese settlers who came to the
region (eg malaysia) to work in Tin mines, pepper farms etc during this
century.

Hope I've not bored any of you 8)

regards
Lin

Rain

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

BKR->> (And if I'm wrong, you can beat me with a wet emoticon.)

BKR->I'll leave that to the Mounties.

Ooh, kinky! 8-)

---
ÅŸ OLX 2.1 TD ÅŸ How did a fool and his money GET together?

Robert Noble

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

cassandra kenfield <casa...@henge.com> wrote in article
<casandra-040...@ppp111.henge.com>...

> I put tomatoes and broccoli etc into my pressure cooker and, at the end
of
> the cooking period, ran the pot under cold water (my usual method for
> cooling it down) and, when I heard the steam and pressure exhausted, went
> to open the lid...it would not budge. WELL, "knowing" that the pressure
> had been discharged, I assumed some cooking liquid had made it stick, so

>...etc

Your story reminded me of why I gave up on my pressure cooker after just a
few uses. Sure, everything cooks real quickly in there, but the downside is
that you then have to wait for the pressure to drop before you can get at
the
results! As I recall it took at least 20 minutes or more. I suppose it's
worth
it if you're cooking something that would otherwise take hours. but other
than that it seemed to me you might as well cook it the regular way and
serve
it up straightaway.

...Robert

Tammy Mcniff

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

Robert Noble (*no...@novasoft.com) wrote:
: Your story reminded me of why I gave up on my pressure cooker after just a

: few uses. Sure, everything cooks real quickly in there, but the downside is
: that you then have to wait for the pressure to drop before you can get at
: the
: results! As I recall it took at least 20 minutes or more. I suppose it's
: worth
: it if you're cooking something that would otherwise take hours. but other
: than that it seemed to me you might as well cook it the regular way and
: serve
: it up straightaway.

I use the "quick release" method. Fill sink with a couple of inches of
cold water, place pressure cooker in the sink, and run cold tap water on
the lid. Takes a couple of minutes, no more. Easy peasy.

But *always* check and clean the vent before you use your pressure cooker.
ALWAYS. My cat lost all but one of his remaining lives the time the
over-pressure plug blew and black bean juice spewed all over my kitchen.

Tammy
Sacramento, California

Valerie Stark

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

In article <01bc1379$947e0a70$735cd0d0@arctic>,

Robert Noble <*no...@novasoft.com> wrote:

>Your story reminded me of why I gave up on my pressure cooker after just a
>few uses. Sure, everything cooks real quickly in there, but the downside is
>that you then have to wait for the pressure to drop before you can get at
>the
>results! As I recall it took at least 20 minutes or more. I suppose it's
>worth
>it if you're cooking something that would otherwise take hours. but other
>than that it seemed to me you might as well cook it the regular way and
>serve
>it up straightaway.

Robert,

My pressure cooker allows me to vent the steam, thereby dropping the
pressure. I can open it whenever I wish.

Val

Robert Noble

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

Aha, it sounds like the technology has advanced somewhat; I'm talking
about 10-15 years ago. Or maybe I just didn't investigate all its
capabilities...

...Robert

Robert P. Noble Without love in the dream
Software Engineer it will never come true.
NovaSoft Systems Inc -- Hunter
Burlington MA

Michelle Dick

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

In article <32F8F3...@novasoft.com>,

Robert Noble <no...@novasoft.com> wrote:
>> In article <01bc1379$947e0a70$735cd0d0@arctic>,
>> Robert Noble <*no...@novasoft.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >Your story reminded me of why I gave up on my pressure cooker after just a
>> >few uses. Sure, everything cooks real quickly in there, but the downside is
>> >that you then have to wait for the pressure to drop before you can get at
>> >the
>> >results! As I recall it took at least 20 minutes or more. I suppose it's
>
>Aha, it sounds like the technology has advanced somewhat; I'm talking
>about 10-15 years ago. Or maybe I just didn't investigate all its
>capabilities...

To do a quick pressure release on any pressure cooker (even old-style
jiggle-tops) you just take it to the sink and run cold water over it.
Takes maybe 30 seconds. Safer than venting the steam, too.

--
Michelle Dick art...@rahul.net East Palo Alto, CA

Valerie Stark

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

In article <32F8F3...@novasoft.com>,
Robert Noble <no...@novasoft.com> wrote:
>Valerie Stark wrote:
>>
>> Robert,
>>
>> My pressure cooker allows me to vent the steam, thereby dropping the
>> pressure. I can open it whenever I wish.
>>
>> Val
>
>Aha, it sounds like the technology has advanced somewhat; I'm talking
>about 10-15 years ago. Or maybe I just didn't investigate all its
>capabilities...
>

>...Robert

I got my pressure cooker over 10 years ago (!). It has the same "jigger"
set-up that my mom's did when I was growing up.

Val

Adrian Mariano

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

sz1...@dino.ucdavis.edu (Tammy Mcniff) writes:

>Robert Noble (*no...@novasoft.com) wrote:
>: Your story reminded me of why I gave up on my pressure cooker after just a
>: few uses. Sure, everything cooks real quickly in there, but the downside is
>: that you then have to wait for the pressure to drop before you can get at
>: the
>: results! As I recall it took at least 20 minutes or more. I suppose it's

>: worth

>: it if you're cooking something that would otherwise take hours. but other
>: than that it seemed to me you might as well cook it the regular way and
>: serve
>: it up straightaway.

>I use the "quick release" method. Fill sink with a couple of inches of

>cold water, place pressure cooker in the sink, and run cold tap water on
>the lid. Takes a couple of minutes, no more. Easy peasy.

Or with newer models, just flip the quick release switch. Takes about
30 seconds and is even easier.

RCC

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

Lin Nah wrote:

> btw the spelling for it is "Nyonya"
>
> Yes and you may not even be told it is nyonya food.
> IT will be under Malaysian or Indonesian cuisine.
>
> This is because the chinese settlers settled along the straights of
> Malacca with particular concentrations in Malacca(Malaysia),
> Penang (Malaysia), a few areas in Sumatra (island in the indonesian
> archipelago) and Singapore.
>
> These chinese settlers settled many many years ago, and adapted their
> food to incorporate local ingredients. Their clothes and language
> are also adopted from the local Malay. ie clothes - they wear sarong
> etc. Chinese language is hokkien with quite a high percentage of
> Malay words in it to the extent that someone from Taiwan (ho speaks
> hokkien)will probably not understand the Hokkien spoken in Penang.
> It is not unusual to find a Nyonya very fluent in colloquil Malay.
>
> Please do not confuse Nyonyas with the chinese settlers who came to the
> region (eg malaysia) to work in Tin mines, pepper farms etc during this
> century.
>
> Hope I've not bored any of you 8)
>
> regards
> Lin

You didn't bore me, but I can try to bore everyone else:

I chose the "nonya" spelling because it seemed to conform more with the
way I'd heard it spoken. I've seen the other spelling just as much, but
I'm glad to go with you on it. I've just beeen to Malacca. By God, it
was ordinary. The rate at which they're putting hotels up boggles the
mind. History can't be as nice it you're looking at a four hundred year
old grave while leaning against the side of a four hundred room hotel.
The funny thing is that they're putting all the hotels up on the coast,
as one would on the French riviera, but the coast is just awful-looking
industrial grey sludge, so they might be doing everyone else a favour by
obscuring it.

Penang's pretty nice, though. Still, my favourite place in Malaysia
(which means my favourite place on my trip, with the exception of
Singapore and Bangkok) was actually Kota Bahru, where the night market
had absolutely great food in amazing variety. it was also once of the
most open, nice places to eat that I saw. The size of a football field,
with stalls covering half, tables the other half. Sit down at dusk, eat
your fill, then when you can stand something else, eat again, and so on
until late night. And, for the night, kiss ten bucks goodbye, if you
have tried the expensive stuff. Just as I thought I'd found my spiritual
home, the tragedy was the fact that the consumption of alcoholic
beverages was outlawed in public places, including restaurants,
nightclubs and the like. I suspect that this has been repealed, but I
only found beer in one place in the whole town...

But enough of the travelogue. The nyonya food which I had in Malaysia
wasn't great (not terrible). If you have any nyonya recipes which are
distinctly different from Malaysian/Indonesian cuisine, please post. The
whole idea of Chinese food with South-East Asian spices/influence seems
to me to be lovely. Not better than either, but a good addition to one's
cooking armory.

Jennifer Sokoloff

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

[...]

Scary story (for a minute) -- glad you survived.
That reminds me of an episode on the Simpsons when Marge leaves Homer
for a weekend, and he's running after her train:

H: How often should I change Maggie?
M: As often as she needs it
H: How do I use the pressure cooker?
M: DON'T!!!

:) Jen
(who is terrified of pressure cookers)

Lin Nah

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

lori ann selke (se...@midway.uchicago.edu) wrote:
: I had gotten the impression (though I can't exactly pinpoint from where)
: that Nonya cuisine was being slated as the Next Big Thing in terms
: of Asian food "trends" in the U.S.
sounds good but seems unlikely.
There's quite a few chinese in Malaysia who have not even tried
nyonya food. It is very concentrated to those regions I mentioned
in another followup.

Anyway if it takes off and the food is authentic, I'll welcome it
with open arms 8).

regards
Lin

idlewild

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

In article <01bc1379$947e0a70$735cd0d0@arctic>,

Robert Noble <*no...@novasoft.com> wrote:

>Your story reminded me of why I gave up on my pressure cooker after just a
>few uses. Sure, everything cooks real quickly in there, but the downside is
>that you then have to wait for the pressure to drop before you can get at
>the
>results! As I recall it took at least 20 minutes or more. I suppose it's

my mom used to run cold water over the top of the cooker (the lid), and
sort of set it over the drain to set up a mini water bath. as i recall,
the pressure had dropped enough within minutes to open up w/o any damage
done and the food was still hot.

-j.
--
Will cook for food.

Nancy Dooley

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

On Thu, 6 Feb 1997 16:18:28 GMT, jos...@midway.uchicago.edu
(idlewild) wrote:
>my mom used to run cold water over the top of the cooker (the lid), and
>sort of set it over the drain to set up a mini water bath. as i recall,
>the pressure had dropped enough within minutes to open up w/o any damage
>done and the food was still hot.

My mom did that, too.

Brian Ehret

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

Graham Kerr recommends a type that has an elliptical lid. He says that
it's safer because the lid CAN'T blow off while cooking. Sounds safer
to me but I have no idea what brand it is or how the pressure is
relieved. If I was going to buy one, I'd look for this for safety
reasons. Maybe he writes about it in a cookbook or you can write to
him.

SusanE

TJ

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97
Hawkins Futura. Mine is going well. I bought it the moment I saw that
eccentric lid INSIDE the pot. I hear Hawkins no longer imports it (mine
was made in India), but that its still available. A shopkeeper at a
store that *used* to carry them said that they had lost their
"excellent" rating. That might have been salesman BS. I like mine fine
and it has held up for years of beans and stock making. I use it at
least 2 times a week. It has never frightened me, and I was a
room-next-to-the-kitchen observer of a PC accident that ended up in the
ER....so I'm jumpy. (It was jiggle-top-as-missle) tj

Tammy Mcniff

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

TJ (sti...@nwlink.com) wrote:

: Hawkins Futura. Mine is going well. I bought it the moment I saw that

: eccentric lid INSIDE the pot. I hear Hawkins no longer imports it (mine
: was made in India), but that its still available. A shopkeeper at a

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Any idea where it might be found/ordered within the US? I'd love to have
one, I use my PC all the time but am decidedly disenchanted with the
Wearever I own. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I consistently check
and clean the vent, and it *still* blew (the over-pressure plug, that is,
NOT the lid) last time.

Any idea of cost?

: store that *used* to carry them said that they had lost their

: "excellent" rating. That might have been salesman BS. I like mine fine

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Did he happen to mention from whom it was lost? Just curious. It
certainly looks like a good-un to me (having seen Graham Kerr use it ALL
the time on his shows).

Tammy
Sacramento, California

Lady

Feb 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/8/97

In article <5dbvds$p...@chaos.dac.neu.edu> jsok...@lynx.dac.neu.edu (Jennifer Sokoloff) writes:
>From: jsok...@lynx.dac.neu.edu (Jennifer Sokoloff)

>Subject: Re: Worst cooking mistake you've made
>Date: 6 Feb 1997 06:58:04 GMT

>: some leverage...the lid flew off, went through the doorway to the dining
>: room and out the window between the dining room and the living room and
>: made a permanent dent on the wall in the living room. The broccoli and
>: tomatoes went straight up to the (very high) ceiling and started raining
>: down on my and everything else. (I still have some little scars from the
>: steaming veggies).

>Scary story (for a minute) -- glad you survived.
>That reminds me of an episode on the Simpsons when Marge leaves Homer
>for a weekend, and he's running after her train:

>:) Jen

>(who is terrified of pressure cookers)

I too am terrified of pressure cookers. While my logical mind says it's
stupid, I can still remember being a little girl (believe me, that takes some
thinking BACK) and having my mother tell me to get out of the kitchen because
she was using the pressure cooker. I'm 45 and have still never used one.

LadySnow
(no, no, get that thing away from me)

Douglas Jackson

Feb 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/8/97

In our last episode of [rec.food.cooking], RCC wrote:
> Habib Delgado wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 23 Jan 1997 12:26:07 GMT, nbha...@midway.uchicago.edu (nicole
> > bernadette hansen) wrote:
> >
> >SNip Nicole's very rude and self centered idea that she is a Goddess of
names and that no one on earth can have any variation of her name because
she seems to demand it.

> Snip Habib's perfectly logical and just response about how ridiculous
Nicole's rant was

My response: My name is Jennie. Can anyone guess how mahy times someone
writes Jenny or Jennifer. It does not necessarily drive me crazy, unless
it is peopple I know or people I have corrected a number of times. On the
other hand when a teacher writes Jenny on the board (when I was in school)
or someone spells it with a 'y' or says or writes Jennifer I either ignore
it (it is not a big deal) or correct them (if they are a person I will
have regular contact with in the future) and when I correct them I never
go crazy about it, I just calmly mention it. I think Nicole needs to grow
up, I know I did...when I was about 7.

Jennie

PS: thanks for the recipe for Babi Chin. I am going to make it for
Valentine's Day

--
_.-------Commercial e-mail will be read at a cost of AUS$25 each-------.
_ // I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed |
\X/ or numbered! My life is my own. - No.6 to No.2, "The Prisoner" |
`----As always, my university has no idea at all of what I am saying----'

Dan Masi

Feb 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/10/97

Valerie Stark wrote:

> In article <01bc1379$947e0a70$735cd0d0@arctic>,
> Robert Noble <*no...@novasoft.com> wrote:
> >
> >Your story reminded me of why I gave up on my pressure cooker after
> > just a few uses. Sure, everything cooks real quickly in there, but
> > the downside is that you then have to wait for the pressure to drop
> > before you can get at the results! As I recall it took at least 20
> > minutes or more...

> My pressure cooker allows me to vent the steam, thereby dropping the
> pressure. I can open it whenever I wish.

I thought just about all pressure cookers had a quick-release to
do this. Also, I thought that standard operating procedure if you
didn't want to use the vent was to run cold water over the cooker...
steam condenses instantly on the inside, and you can then open the
cooker. Robert, you may want to get out your cooker's manual and
give it another try!

--
Dan Masi
Mentor Graphics Corp.

Your Name

Feb 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/11/97

Dan is right. I use the pressure cooker all the time, and after 20 seconds under
cold water you can open the lid.

Dorothy

Feb 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/12/97

Graham Kerr uses a Futura pressure cooker. I have one, it is teflon coated
and I love it. They are not cheap but well worth the money. Dorothy

difi...@aol.com

Feb 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/12/97

In article <5dgj71$con$2...@news.latrobe.edu.au>, lss...@lux.latrobe.edu.au (Douglas Jackson) writes:

>My response: My name is Jennie. Can anyone guess how mahy times someone
>writes Jenny or Jennifer. It does not necessarily drive me crazy, unless
>it is peopple I know or people I have corrected a number of times. On the
>other hand when a teacher writes Jenny on the board (when I was in school)
>or someone spells it with a 'y' or says or writes Jennifer I either ignore
>it (it is not a big deal) or correct them (if they are a person I will
>have regular contact with in the future) and when I correct them I never
>go crazy about it, I just calmly mention it. I think Nicole needs to grow
>up, I know I did...when I was about 7.
>
>Jennie

My name is Diana and people tend to call me Diane (which is why I only call people by the name they introduce themselves to me by - I won't call someone Kathy if they've introduced themselves as Kathleen). I don't get angry because I understand that most people mistakingly think that Diane is the shortened version of Diana - when in fact it is a totally different name. Di is the shortened version. In addition, my mother intentionally gave me the simplest spelling for my name so that I wouldn't go through life with the irritation of constantly having to correct people. They spell my name Dianna, Diahna, Diahne, Dyana, Deanna - I'm not exaggerating. Then I had to go and marry a man who spells his name "Jeffery". Nicole, look at it the way I do, at least they aren't spelling our names "B#@% H" :-)

Having said that I would like to pay my dues and share with you the incredibly stupid cooking mistake this "Di" did. I cut up some turkey wings, rolled them in Italian seasoned bread crumbs, placed them in a pyrex baking dish and oven fried them at a very high temperature. While that was in the oven I took a pan and put a mixture of water, wine, mushrooms and thyme and brought it to a simmer. Then my phone rang and I turned off the heat under the wine mixture so I wouldn't forget and burn the mushrooms or something. After about 30 - 45 minutes my timer went off and I took the turkey out of the oven. I immediately poured my, then cold, liquids into the extremely hot pyrex baking dish.... BOOM!

My cooking companion animals (three labradors and two cats) who like to lay on the floor and watch me in the kitchen for some strange reason won't do that anymore.

I knew better than that, which makes it all the more frustrating. O.K. everyone, from now on you can feel free to call me "Die"! :-)

Di Fields

Holly Hutchason

Feb 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/13/97

My turn. I was baking a cake - lemon mahtzo meal for passover. The edges
were burning so I took it out of the oven and cut the edges off, leaving
ugly black
crumbs all over the top of the cake. So I took it to the sink and flipped
it over to brush the crumbs off. Dumped the whole thing (raw in the
middle) down the sink.

I covered it with warm fruit compote. The guests loved it.

Skeeter

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

I too am afraid of the large pressure cookers. Especially if used for
canning. The small ones I have used and I have one now that goes in
the microwave. I get nightmares just thinking about one being used
for canning blowing up. All those shards of glass flying about is
real scary.
Skeeter

TJ

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

Kirby Smithe wrote:

> Ryann Gerber wrote:
> >
> > I am so glad that I am not the only one with (according to my pressure
> > cooking mother) a fear of pressure cookers..

> > > I too am afraid of the large pressure cookers.
>
> People!, people!, people! You are missing a great resource in the
> kitchen. Really!
YES. Last night I made killer gumbo. While the black-eyed peas were
sh-sh-shing away in the PC, I coarsely chopped the veggies for the
broth. As soon as the beans went out, the stock veggies went in. While
those veggies sh-sh-sh'ed, I saute'd the onions and got the roux
browned, just in time for the broth. No more hours of boiling stock, no
more remembering to get the beans soaking the night before. Better than
car batteries without cells that need filling. tj

Kirby Smithe

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

Ryann Gerber wrote:

> I am so glad that I am not the only one with (according to my pressure
> cooking mother) a fear of pressure cookers..
> Skeeter wrote:
>
> > >I too am terrified of pressure cookers.
> > >LadySnow
> > >(no, no, get that thing away from me)
> >
> > I too am afraid of the large pressure cookers.

People!, people!, people! You are missing a great resource in the
kitchen. Really!

You MUST keep the pressure cooker lid clean. Clean the weight, clean
the safety valve and clean the whateveritscalled that the weight
sits on. And replace the gasket and the rubber safety valve...now
and then.

Don't fill the pot over about 3/4 full of soup-like stuff so that
it doesn't boil up and clog the whateveitscalled and it'll work
just fine. Trust me, I'm a computer guy.

Ryann Gerber

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

I am so glad that I am not the only one with (according to my pressure
cooking mother) a fear of pressure cookers...one blew when my mom was
opening it and now I have to leave the kitchen when she uses it...it
just makes me too nervous. She wanted to give me one, I asked for a
dutch oven instead <g>!

Skeeter wrote:

> >I too am terrified of pressure cookers. While my logical mind says it's
> >stupid, I can still remember being a little girl (believe me, that takes some
> >thinking BACK) and having my mother tell me to get out of the kitchen because
> >she was using the pressure cooker. I'm 45 and have still never used one.
> >

> >LadySnow
> >(no, no, get that thing away from me)

TJ

Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97

.

> > People!, people!, people! You are missing a great resource in the
> > kitchen. Really!
> YES. Last night I made killer gumbo.tj
Okay, two requests for the gumbo, here I go. From Vegetarian Cooking At
the Academy (California Culinary Academy) my Pressure Cooker advice
included:
Dirty Rice Gumbo. *ingredients*
Start a cup of Black eyed peas in the PC (to end up with *2 cups cooked
b-e'd peas*). No need to pre-soak, just get it up to speed for about 10
solid minutes.
Next put a grate over your burner or in the broiler blacken *2 red bell
peppers and 4 tomatoes*. When they are black all over, toss in plastic
bag to steam a few minutes before peeling and chopping.
While these are going, chop up veggies for broth. This recipe is not
critical. You could use trimmings from the veggies for the gumbo. 2+
Cups of broth are needed. I'd try to throw in an onion, a carrot, a
couple of cloves of garlic, a parsnip, a handful of mushrooms, a potato,
several parsley stems, a bay leaf, and four cups water. When the beans
come out of the pressure cooker, let them drain and throw in the the
stuff for the broth and get it fired up.
Now start on the gumbo proper:
Peel and chop up *4 small kohlrabies* into generous one inch dice
Scrub and chop *3 carrots* good sized chunks.
Trim *1 bunch broccoli*. Peel stems and cut into 2" lengths and cut off
florets.
Trim ends from *8 small okra* (I used frozen)
Cut *2 zucchini* into good sized peices.
Reserve these.
Next: A large skillet (I mean big), heat *3 T. oil*. Add *2 large stalks
celery* diced, *a large onion* diced, *1 green pepper* (I used a
jalapeno instead for more kick) diced. Cook until lightly browned (10
minutes). Stir in *4 T. all-purp flour* and lower heat, stirred
carefully until browned. Now add *2 cups* of the broth, *1 teas thyme
and 1 teas oregano (dry or more if fresh)*, stirring to avoid lumps for
5 minutes. Add the grilled chopped toms and red peppers, the okra, the
kohlrabi, the carrots. Cook for 20 mintues. This likes a lid. I didn't
have one and needed more broth added periodically. Add broccoli, cook 5
minutes, add *one cup corn kernals*, the 2 cups of blackeyed peas, the
zucchini and cook until zucc's ready to eat. After the zucc's had
released their water it was now too liquidy and i added a 1/2 teas of
file'. Serve over these rice (I found the recipe too small for all that
gumbo. I'm going to up it by 1/2 next time). This rice can be done in
pressure cooker.

Make rice with 2 1/2 cups long grain white rice in 5 Cups water and 2
1/2 teas. salt.
When done al dente, add 2/3 Cup chopped *Italian parsley*
2 1/2 teas dried thyme
1 1/4 teas paprika
2 1/2 Table. butter
Stir and devour. The kohlrabi was a real hit. Everyone kept saying "What
is this great veggie?"

Fookoo Network

Mar 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/7/97

In article <5dalei$p...@newsstand.cit.cornell.edu>, adr...@cam.cornell.edu
says...

>Or with newer models, just flip the quick release switch. Takes about
>30 seconds and is even easier.

You should be really careful about these quick release methods, using a quick
release switch. I tried out a new Magafesa pressure pot and tried it. Some
stuff went shooting across the room. Better to stick with the sink and cold
water out of the faucet. Also with the Magafesa don't believe it when the pop
up pressure button goes down. A couple of times there was still pressure in
the pot which again shot out some hot stuff. Better run it for a few extra
seconds under cold water before pressing the quick release button (to check to
see if there is any pressure left in the pot). After this experience, I
could hardly believe that Lorna Sass did the demo video tape that came with
the Magafesa. So there can be significant differences amongst these newer
non-jiggle top pressure pots.

Adrian Mariano

Mar 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/7/97

foo...@pacbell.net (Fookoo Network) writes:

Whether you can use the quick release depends on whether the steam in
the pressure cooker is saturated with the juices of what you're
cooking.

For making risotto, the quick release on the Magefesa has worked great
every time, spraying clean steam. For making beans, the quick release
isn't a good idea. I don't think this depends on the brand of
pressure cooker. When the pressure button is all the way down I've
never had enough pressure left inside to make a mess.

It should come as no surprise that different pressure cookers are
different. The Magefesa was rated #1 by Cook's Illustrated and it was
rated #2 by Consumer Reports. (Consumer reports preferred jiggle
tops, so they rated a jiggle top #1.)

The Kuhn Rikon was Cook's Illustrated's second rated model, but with
that one you have to hold down the pressure release button until the
pressure is done releasing. And apparently with the Lagostina
pressure cooker, the quick release has to be held down with a wooden
spoon (because steam sprays out over the switch).

Fookoo Network

Mar 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/23/97

In article <5fphcc$9...@newsstand.cit.cornell.edu>, adr...@cam.cornell.edu
says...

>It should come as no surprise that different pressure cookers are
>different. The Magefesa was rated #1 by Cook's Illustrated and it was
>rated #2 by Consumer Reports. (Consumer reports preferred jiggle
>tops, so they rated a jiggle top #1.)
>
>The Kuhn Rikon was Cook's Illustrated's second rated model, but with
>that one you have to hold down the pressure release button until the
>pressure is done releasing. And apparently with the Lagostina
>pressure cooker, the quick release has to be held down with a wooden
>spoon (because steam sprays out over the switch).

I have used the jiggle top for years and only recently switched into one of
the second generation (as designated by Lorna Sass) pressure cookers. One
totally amazing point that is glossed over by many "reviews" is that the
second generation pressure pot is almost a completely closed system, meaning
that the amount of energy to keep the pressure up, as compared to the jiggle
top, is much, much less. These second generation pressure pots really do need
those flame retarders that you stick between the burner and the pressure pot,
otherwise the pressure gets to max and you will see steam coming out of the
relief valve. This lower adjustment of a gas burner, for example, translates
into much less high heat exposure to the rubber gasket as compared to the
jiggle top pot. The Kuhn-Rikon rubber gasket is very pliable and actually
soft compared to the Presto version. Talking with Kuhn-Rikon, one of the
customer service people said that she had been using the same rubber gasket
for over six years with her pot.

Any of these second generation pressure pots should work quite well. I use a
Kuhn-Rikon and have found it very well constructed and easy to use. But the
quick pressure release is not all that well done. Nothing seems to beat
putting the pot under a stream of cold water from the faucet. My point about
Magafesa was that when their pressure gauge goes all the way down, one should
be very careful because there still maybe residual pressure inside the pot
which can still shoot stuff out that relief valve if it is engaged. When the
Kuhn-Rikon pressure gauge reads zero and is all the way down, I have never
found any residual pressure in the pot.

TJ

Mar 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/23/97

Recipe of the Week:
From Lorna Sass Cooking Under Pressure:

Bourbon-laced sweet Potatoes

3/4 C orange juice
Zest of one orange
1/4 C bourbon (or use more OJ)
1/2 teas. cinnamon
1/8 teas. nutmeg
Mix together and put in your cooker. Add
5 large sweet potatoes (3 lbs.) peeled and cut into 1/4" slices.
Dab over the top
1/3 C orange marmalade
2 T. butter.
Lock and bring up to pressure. Cook 2 (two, count 'em 2) minutes on high
pressure, use quick release, mash coarsely with a fork, salting as
desired and mash in
1/3 C. coarsely chopped walnuts.

Reheats at 350 in an oven...make in advance!