Butter

1 view

Steve

Jun 13, 2009, 9:04:28 PM6/13/09
When a recipe calls for butter or melted butter, does it mean salted
or unsalted butter? Any way to tell? Thanks!

--

Fanaticism consists in redoubling your effort when you have forgotten your aim.

...George Santayana

Kris

Jun 13, 2009, 9:23:58 PM6/13/09

I assume salted unless specified. Never seems to hurt.

Kris

gloria.p

Jun 13, 2009, 9:55:43 PM6/13/09
Steve wrote:
> When a recipe calls for butter or melted butter, does it mean salted
> or unsalted butter? Any way to tell? Thanks!

The purists will tell you unsalted ALL the time.
I wouldn't worry about it at all unless it specifies,
and even then don't sweat the small stuff.

gloria p

PeterL

Jun 13, 2009, 9:59:06 PM6/13/09
"gloria.p" <gpue...@comcast.net> wrote in news:h11lb6$aj3$1...@news.eternal-
september.org:

Yep, I only ever use unsalted butter when the recipe specifically asks for
it. Other than that, it's good old 'normal' butter.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"As viscous as motor oil swirled in a swamp, redolent of burnt bell peppers
nested in by incontinent mice and a finish reminiscent of the dregs of a
stale can of Coca-Cola that someone has been using as an ashtray. Not a bad
drink, though."
Excerpt from "The Moose Turd Wine Tasting" by T. A. Nonymous

not...@bb.nothome.com

Jun 13, 2009, 10:13:00 PM6/13/09
Steve <h...@wsx.inv> writes:

> When a recipe calls for butter or melted butter, does it mean salted
> or unsalted butter? Any way to tell? Thanks!

Taste it.

nb

Omelet

Jun 13, 2009, 10:37:08 PM6/13/09
In article <81j835d3tgc0nka98...@4ax.com>,
Steve <h...@wsx.inv> wrote:

> When a recipe calls for butter or melted butter, does it mean salted
> or unsalted butter? Any way to tell? Thanks!

Since salted is the most common, I'd go that route.
But, consider your personal tastes. We always have both on hand.

Most recipes I've seen that require unsalted butter usually specify?
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

recfood...@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: recfoodrecip...@yahoogroups.com

John Kuthe

Jun 13, 2009, 10:46:19 PM6/13/09
On Jun 13, 8:59 pm, PeterL <P...@brissie.aus> wrote:
> "gloria.p" <gpues...@comcast.net> wrote innews:h11lb6$aj3$1...@news.eternal-

> september.org:
>
> > Steve wrote:
> >> When a recipe calls for butter or melted butter, does it mean salted
> >> or unsalted butter? Any way to tell? Thanks!
>
> > The purists will tell you unsalted ALL the time.
> > I wouldn't worry about it at all unless it specifies,
> > and even then don't sweat the small stuff.
>
> > gloria p
>
> Yep, I only ever use unsalted butter when the recipe specifically asks for
> it. Other than that, it's good old 'normal' butter.

"Normal" butter IS unsalted butter. I never use salted butter. I have
a salt shaker and know how to use it!

Or NOT use it! ;-)

John Kuthe...

PeterL

Jun 13, 2009, 11:02:21 PM6/13/09
John Kuthe <john...@gmail.com> wrote in news:2baf9997-86b5-41b2-96e9-
ad7dad...@z9g2000yqi.googlegroups.com:

To each their own.

John Kuthe

Jun 13, 2009, 11:14:41 PM6/13/09
On Jun 13, 10:02 pm, PeterL <P...@brissie.aus> wrote:
> John Kuthe <johnku...@gmail.com> wrote in news:2baf9997-86b5-41b2-96e9-
> ad7dad626...@z9g2000yqi.googlegroups.com:

> > On Jun 13, 8:59 pm, PeterL <P...@brissie.aus> wrote:
> >> "gloria.p" <gpues...@comcast.net> wrote innews:h11lb6$aj3$1...@news.eternal-
> >> september.org:

> >> Yep, I only ever use unsalted butter when the recipe specifically asks fo
> >> it. Other than that, it's good old 'normal' butter.
>
> > "Normal" butter IS unsalted butter. I never use salted butter. I have
> > a salt shaker and know how to use it!
>
> > Or NOT use it! ;-)
>
> > John Kuthe...
>
> To each their own.

You don't get enough salt/sodium as it is?

John Kuthe...

PeterL

Jun 13, 2009, 11:35:30 PM6/13/09
John Kuthe <john...@gmail.com> wrote in news:a490d590-d884-44ec-a21e-
28b6f6...@q16g2000yqg.googlegroups.com:

>> > "Normal" butter IS unsalted butter. I never use salted butter. I have
>> > a salt shaker and know how to use it!
>>
>> > Or NOT use it! ;-)
>>
>> > John Kuthe...
>>
>> To each their own.
>
> You don't get enough salt/sodium as it is?

Probably not. Maybe the reason why I'm getting leg cramps. I *rarely* have
them, and have been quite noticible of the fact that they have started after
I have greatly reduced my salt intake.

Omelet

Jun 13, 2009, 11:36:04 PM6/13/09
In article
<a490d590-d884-44ec...@q16g2000yqg.googlegroups.com>,
John Kuthe <john...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > To each their own.
>
> You don't get enough salt/sodium as it is?
>
> John Kuthe...

Many don't keep track.
But if you are not sensitive to it, it does not matter.

I am, so I do.

I don't judge those that don't!

Paco

Jun 13, 2009, 11:40:42 PM6/13/09

"John Kuthe" <john...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Are you a graduate of the "Bobobananaramabonobo School of Culinary
Sanctimonious Preaching of Greater Saint Louis"? Or, just a sock puppet?

PeterL

Jun 13, 2009, 11:44:30 PM6/13/09
"Paco" <kiss_m...@yahoo.com> wrote in

>>> To each their own.
>>
>> You don't get enough salt/sodium as it is?
>>
>> John Kuthe...
>
> Are you a graduate of the "Bobobananaramabonobo School of Culinary
> Sanctimonious Preaching of Greater Saint Louis"? Or, just a sock
> puppet?

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Omelet

Jun 14, 2009, 12:01:16 AM6/14/09
In article <Xns9C2A8A463D862P...@210.8.230.25>,
PeterL <P...@brissie.aus> wrote:

> John Kuthe <john...@gmail.com> wrote in news:a490d590-d884-44ec-a21e-
> 28b6f6...@q16g2000yqg.googlegroups.com:

> >> To each their own.
> >
> > You don't get enough salt/sodium as it is?
> >

> Probably not. Maybe the reason why I'm getting leg cramps. I *rarely* have
> them, and have been quite noticible of the fact that they have started after
> I have greatly reduced my salt intake.

Seriously Peter, try a balanced mineral supplement with Calcium.
Quadricep cramps were no fun and that's what cured them.

Calcium alone didn't. It had to be balanced with Phosphorous and
Magnesium...

Bob Muncie

Jun 14, 2009, 12:25:25 AM6/14/09
Steve wrote:
> When a recipe calls for butter or melted butter, does it mean salted
> or unsalted butter? Any way to tell? Thanks!

Steve - Unsalted butter is always better as far as I'm concerned. In
fact, I don't know why they salt any butter. Why?

Salted butter only adds sodium past what a recipe calls for.

Bob

Goomba

Jun 14, 2009, 12:39:38 AM6/14/09

I assume unsalted unless specified. One can always add salt as needed to
a recipe but can't take it out of the salted butter.

jmcquown

Jun 14, 2009, 7:33:28 AM6/14/09
"Kris" <shan...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

On Jun 13, 9:04 pm, Steve <h...@wsx.inv> wrote:
> When a recipe calls for butter or melted butter, does it mean salted
> or unsalted butter? Any way to tell? Thanks!

I assume salted unless specified. Never seems to hurt.

Kris

Agreed, Kris. Most recipes requiring unsalted butter *do* specify
(particularly in baking where things seem to need to be more precise). I
use salted butter for everyday cooking, spreading on the occasional piece of
toast, etc.

There is the adage you can't unsalt once it's salted, but honestly salted
butter doesn't taste overwhelmingly salty, at least not to my palate. I do
try not to go overboard salting food during cooking; I prefer to let people
salt their food at the table.

Jill

jmcquown

Jun 14, 2009, 7:38:59 AM6/14/09
"Omelet" <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> In article <81j835d3tgc0nka98...@4ax.com>,
> Steve <h...@wsx.inv> wrote:
>
>> When a recipe calls for butter or melted butter, does it mean salted
>> or unsalted butter? Any way to tell? Thanks!
>
> Since salted is the most common, I'd go that route.
> But, consider your personal tastes. We always have both on hand.
>
> Most recipes I've seen that require unsalted butter usually specify?
> --
> Peace! Om

Yep, and in my years of reading cookbooks it's usually baking (as in bread,
yeast rolls, etc.) that will specify unsalted butter. Most recipes don't
specify unless it truly requires unsalted butter.

Jill

cshenk

Jun 14, 2009, 8:06:26 AM6/14/09
"jmcquown" wrote
> "Kris" wrote

> I assume salted unless specified. Never seems to hurt.

> Agreed, Kris. Most recipes requiring unsalted butter *do* specify

> (particularly in baking where things seem to need to be more precise). I
> use salted butter for everyday cooking, spreading on the occasional piece
> of toast, etc.

Same here. If I do make a sort of 'ghee' though I'll use unsalted.

John Kuthe

Jun 14, 2009, 8:16:39 AM6/14/09

I think the reason "they" add salt to butter is the same reason "they"
add sugars to just about every processed food there is: because that's
what the United Statesians have come to love and demand and thus BUY!
I saw a nutritional breakdown of some salad the Panera Bread Co (St
Louis Bread Co to STL still) is selling and in one serving it contains
well over a GRAM of sodium!! Ick! Better get the HUGE Gulp with that
to flush all that sodium out of your body and though you kidneys!!

No thanks, I'll stick to making my own foods. I tend to eschew much of
that processed food junk.

John Kuthe...

John Kuthe

Jun 14, 2009, 8:29:51 AM6/14/09
On Jun 13, 10:40 pm, "Paco" <kiss_my_s...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "John Kuthe" <johnku...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I'm not nearly as virulent as Bryan, but yes I do have my outspoken
opinions about foods.

A lotta other things too! What's your point?

John Kuthe...

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Omelet

Jun 14, 2009, 9:21:10 AM6/14/09
In article <79k5r6F...@mid.individual.net>,
"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:

Thanks.

And, good to see you posting more again Jill! :-)

htn963

Jun 14, 2009, 10:37:37 AM6/14/09
On Jun 13, 9:25 pm, Bob Muncie <bob.mun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Steve wrote:
> > When a recipe calls for butter or melted butter, does it mean salted
> > or unsalted butter? Any way to tell? Thanks!
>
> Steve - Unsalted butter is always better as far as I'm concerned. In
> fact, I don't know why they salt any butter. Why?

Salted butter keeps longer without going rancid -- which conversely is
why the better brands for unsalted butter comes in the more airtight
foil packaging rather than just paper.

For those who don't use butter much but likes it once in awhile (like
myself) salted it's preferable -- but then I usually go with the
higher-end import varieties which tastes richer than the domestics
(Kerrygold Irish from Trader Joe's is a good brand, and it also comes
unsalted.)

> Salted butter only adds sodium past what a recipe calls for.

Depends on what the recipe is.

--
Ht

Michael Kuettner

Jun 14, 2009, 10:59:26 AM6/14/09

"Steve" <h...@wsx.inv> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> When a recipe calls for butter or melted butter, does it mean salted
> or unsalted butter? Any way to tell? Thanks!

Butter is always unsalted (except in the USA, as it seems).
You don't use salted oil or salted lard or salted margarine, either.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

PeterL

Jun 14, 2009, 11:07:06 AM6/14/09
"Michael Kuettner" <Michael....@gmx.at> wrote in news:h133f1$ihs$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

> "Steve" <h...@wsx.inv> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> When a recipe calls for butter or melted butter, does it mean salted
>> or unsalted butter? Any way to tell? Thanks!
>>
> Butter is always unsalted (except in the USA, as it seems).

Ummmmmmmmm, no.

If you want unsalted butter here in Oz, you have to go looking for it.

Andy

Jun 14, 2009, 11:28:54 AM6/14/09
Steve said...

> When a recipe calls for butter or melted butter, does it mean salted
> or unsalted butter? Any way to tell? Thanks!

Any recipe that doesn't mention which, is a lame recipe.

Andy
--
"I only know what I read. NOT what I'm talking about!"
--Andy

John Kuthe

Jun 14, 2009, 11:33:31 AM6/14/09

Says the man who likes Cool Whip!

;-)

John Kuthe...

Andy

Jun 14, 2009, 11:50:39 AM6/14/09
John Kuthe said...

Touch�!

Well, here's a coconut cream pie w/Reddi-Wip in your face. BLAMO!!!

You've been hit and run by...

Andy's Evil Twin

Janet Wilder

Jun 14, 2009, 12:15:26 PM6/14/09
Steve wrote:
> When a recipe calls for butter or melted butter, does it mean salted
> or unsalted butter? Any way to tell? Thanks!

I believe that, as a rule, if it's a recipe for something baked, its
unsalted butter that's required.

I never have anything but unsalted butter in our house, so the question
doesn't arise.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Janet Wilder

Jun 14, 2009, 12:21:01 PM6/14/09
htn963 wrote:

> Salted butter keeps longer without going rancid -- which conversely is
> why the better brands for unsalted butter comes in the more airtight
> foil packaging rather than just paper.

Since I never use salted butter, and we don't use very much unsalted
butter, I keep my unsalted butter in the freezer. I defrost one stick at
a time and that keeps well in a glass butter dish in my fridge. We go
through one stick in two weeks as a rule.

BTW, if you are going to use butter for pie crust, biscuits or other
pastry, the frozen butter scraped over the large holes of a box grater
makes the perfect sized pieces for incorporating with flour.

Stu

Jun 14, 2009, 12:46:05 PM6/14/09
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 11:15:26 -0500, Janet Wilder
<kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Steve wrote:
>> When a recipe calls for butter or melted butter, does it mean salted
>> or unsalted butter? Any way to tell? Thanks!
>>

>I believe that, as a rule, if it's a recipe for something baked, its
>unsalted butter that's required.
>
>I never have anything but unsalted butter in our house, so the question
>doesn't arise.

Next run to Fargo or Grand forks I'm doing the butter run. Take the
cooler and pick up 25 lbs. as I usually find sales for $1.50 to $1.88
lb. at the Super saver.

Ophelia

Jun 14, 2009, 12:52:36 PM6/14/09

In UK we can buy unsalted butter, but there is much more salted butter on
sale. Unless a recipe specifically calls for unsalted butter, then salted
is the norm.

cshenk

Jun 14, 2009, 2:24:03 PM6/14/09
"PeterL" wrote
> "Michael Kuettner" wrote

>> Butter is always unsalted (except in the USA, as it seems).

> Ummmmmmmmm, no.
> If you want unsalted butter here in Oz, you have to go looking for it.

Same in Japan. But I have a feelig it might relate more to the other
person's comment on going rancid. It may be hotter climates have a higher
need for salted butter in the past so are used to it.

If i recall Michael lives in Germany? If so he may think he knows 'hot' but
he's a far cry from what you and i would define it as.

Michael Kuettner

Jun 14, 2009, 2:57:32 PM6/14/09

USA, UK and japan seem to have one thing in common :
salted butter.
On the continent unsalted is the standard.
I guess, salted butter stems from the UK and has made its way through
the Anglo-Saxon world and those parts heavily influenced by it, like
Japan.
I live in Austria; if 40 - 50 degrees Celsius in the summertime isn't hot
enough ...

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

John Kane

Jun 14, 2009, 3:53:29 PM6/14/09
On Jun 14, 10:59 am, "Michael Kuettner" <Michael.Kuett...@gmx.at>
wrote:
> "Steve" <h...@wsx.inv> schrieb im Newsbeitragnews:81j835d3tgc0nka98...@4ax.com...> When a recipe calls for butter or melted butter, does it mean salted

> > or unsalted butter? Any way to tell? Thanks!
>
> Butter is always unsalted (except in the USA, as it seems).
> You don't use salted oil or salted lard or salted margarine, either.

And Canada. Both are readily available now but even 20 years ago one
had to make a real effort to buy unsalted butter.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada

Victor Sack

Jun 14, 2009, 4:58:16 PM6/14/09
Steve <h...@wsx.inv> wrote:

> When a recipe calls for butter or melted butter, does it mean salted
> or unsalted butter? Any way to tell? Thanks!

If there is no specification, it matters not in the least, especially if
the recipe naturally contains any salt at all. Modern commercial salted
butter has very little salt indeed.

The recipe apparently also does not specify sweet butter, or one made
with soured cream - and this also would not usually make a difference in
a savoury recipe with even a slightly pronounced flavour. Here
(Germany) I can get either of these kinds of butter, as well as sweet
butter but with lactic acid added, any of them salted or unsalted, any
day of the week. There is no default, but sweet butter with lactic acid
added, unsalted, is probably the most widely available.

Victor

cshenk

Jun 14, 2009, 5:26:56 PM6/14/09
"Michael Kuettner" wrote

> cshenk wrote:
>> "PeterL" wrote
>>> "Michael Kuettner" wrote

>> Same in Japan. But I have a feelig it might relate more to the other

>> person's comment on going rancid. It may be hotter climates have a
>> higher need for salted butter in the past so are used to it.
>>
>> If i recall Michael lives in Germany? If so he may think he knows 'hot'
>> but he's a far cry from what you and i would define it as.

> I live in Austria; if 40 - 50 degrees Celsius in the summertime isn't hot
> enough ...

Might wanna try that again.

Climate: The Austrian climate is a continental climate with rigid, rainy and
often snowy winters (the winter minimuml temperatures vary between +2�C
and -15�C), and short summers with temperatures variable between 20�C and
30�C

It's 29C on my back porch already which is wonderful as it's a nice cool
temp and no need to run the AC yet. At about 33C we think about it. At
40C, we use it. We seldom exceed 40C for more than a few weeks here but
will hit that and higher for normally 3-4 weeks straight in the beach area I
am at. Sometimes we get lucky and it is just 38C. The difference is it
probably isnt under 34C at night here those times.

Sorry Michael but PeterL and I live in true 'hot' climate. Neither of us
are very familiar with snow. You'd get a giggle at me bundling up at 15C
and looking like a snowman.

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig

Jun 14, 2009, 5:49:16 PM6/14/09
On Jun 14, 11:46 am, Stu <i...@foodforu.ca> wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 11:15:26 -0500, Janet Wilder

Where's "Super saver"? Must be in Grand forks. Butter was $1.65 lb
at Hornbachers' a couple of weeks ago.
Lynn in Fargo :-)
Where are you coming from?

jmcquown

Jun 14, 2009, 7:19:27 PM6/14/09

> In article <79k5r6F...@mid.individual.net>,
> "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Since salted is the most common, I'd go that route.
>> > But, consider your personal tastes. We always have both on hand.
>> >
>> > Most recipes I've seen that require unsalted butter usually specify?
>> > --
>> > Peace! Om
>> >

>> Yep, and in my years of reading cookbooks it's usually baking (as in
>> bread,
>> yeast rolls, etc.) that will specify unsalted butter. Most recipes don't
>> specify unless it truly requires unsalted butter.
>>
>> Jill
>
> Thanks.
>
> And, good to see you posting more again Jill! :-)
> --
> Peace! Om

Thanks, sweetie! I'm still getting unpacked from the move. And wondering
why the heck I didn't 'curbcycle' more stuff when I had the chance. LOL

Jill

Arri London

Jun 14, 2009, 8:32:24 PM6/14/09

Steve wrote:

> When a recipe calls for butter or melted butter, does it mean salted
> or unsalted butter? Any way to tell? Thanks!
>

> --

We only keep unsalted butter in the house, so that's the default. Easy
enough to add salt if needed. Matter of taste preference otherwise; if
you like salted use it.

PeterL

Jun 14, 2009, 8:32:53 PM6/14/09
"Michael Kuettner" <Michael....@gmx.at> wrote in news:h13he5$7pc$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

> I live in Austria; if 40 - 50 degrees Celsius in the summertime isn't hot
> enough ...

You're just getting warm there.

PeterL

Jun 14, 2009, 8:38:47 PM6/14/09
"cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote in

> Sorry Michael but PeterL and I live in true 'hot' climate. Neither of
> us are very familiar with snow. You'd get a giggle at me bundling up at
> 15C and looking like a snowman.

It's 15.6 here at the moment. Weekly highest average is supposed to be 21.

We've been up to 40.6 recently (12+ months ago)........ and that's right next
to the coast/ocean!!

A pretty mild winter always heralds a bloody hot summer.

brooklyn1

Jun 14, 2009, 9:01:47 PM6/14/09
Steve wrote:

> When a recipe calls for butter or melted butter, does it mean salted
> or unsalted butter? Any way to tell? Thanks!

Most every major cook book will note that unless stated otherwise UNsalted
butter is *always* the default... the reason being that salt can always be
added but never removed. Salted butter contains substantial salt...
although there is no USDA rule on how much salt salted butter contains it's
typically about 3 tsps per pound. The amount of salt added is left to the
discretion of the particular dairy and it varies by lot... salt is added
strictly as a preservative only, not for the consumer's preference. I buy
unsalted butter and sprinkle my own salt, I prefer the salt on the surface.
For those who like to stock up on butter when on sale salted butter does not
freeze well.

Paco

Jun 14, 2009, 10:55:02 PM6/14/09

"PeterL" <P...@brissie.aus> wrote in message
> "Paco" <kiss_m...@yahoo.com> wrote in

>>> You don't get enough salt/sodium as it is?
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...
>>
>> Are you a graduate of the "Bobobananaramabonobo School of Culinary
>> Sanctimonious Preaching of Greater Saint Louis"? Or, just a sock
>> puppet?
>>

> ROFLMAO!!!!!

;-)

Paco

Jun 14, 2009, 10:57:20 PM6/14/09

>> > You don't get enough salt/sodium as it is?
>>
>> > John Kuthe...
>>
>> Are you a graduate of the "Bobobananaramabonobo School of Culinary
>> Sanctimonious Preaching of Greater Saint Louis"? Or, just a sock puppet?
>

> I'm not nearly as virulent as Bryan, but yes I do have my outspoken
> opinions about foods.
>
> A lotta other things too! What's your point?
>
> John Kuthe...

Wasn't making a point. Just asking questions. Bobojunior.

Paco

Jun 14, 2009, 10:58:50 PM6/14/09

"Michael "Dog3"" <don'ta...@donttell.huh> wrote in message
> "Paco" <kiss_m...@yahoo.com>
> news:h11rfu$hpk$1...@news.eternal-september.org: in rec.food.cooking

>> Are you a graduate of the "Bobobananaramabonobo School of Culinary
>> Sanctimonious Preaching of Greater Saint Louis"? Or, just a sock
>> puppet?
>

> <splurt> OMG that is funny. You owe me a cup of coffee.
>
> Michael

Sorry about that! Next time I'm in STL, you pick out the coffee shop, I'll
pick up the tab!

Michael Kuettner

Jun 15, 2009, 8:04:10 AM6/15/09
cshenk wrote:
> "Michael Kuettner" wrote
>> cshenk wrote:
>>> "PeterL" wrote
>
>>> Same in Japan. But I have a feelig it might relate more to the other
>>> person's comment on going rancid. It may be hotter climates have a
>>> higher need for salted butter in the past so are used to it.
>>>
>>> If i recall Michael lives in Germany? If so he may think he knows
>>> 'hot' but he's a far cry from what you and i would define it as.
>
>> I live in Austria; if 40 - 50 degrees Celsius in the summertime isn't
>> hot enough ...
>
> Might wanna try that again.

Try what ?

> Climate: The Austrian climate is a continental climate with rigid, rainy
> and often snowy winters (the winter minimuml temperatures vary between
> +2�C and -15�C), and short summers with temperatures variable between 20�C
> and
> 30�C

Oh, another clueless wiki - entry ?
It was 34 deg C yesterday at 13:00h.
Right now (14:01h) it's 26 degrees C. But it seems to get warmer ...

And short summers ? This isn't Sweden ...

> It's 29C on my back porch already which is wonderful as it's a nice cool
> temp and no need to run the AC yet. At about 33C we think about it. At
> 40C, we use it. We seldom exceed 40C for more than a few weeks here but
> will hit that and higher for normally 3-4 weeks straight in the beach
> area I am at. Sometimes we get lucky and it is just 38C. The
> difference is it probably isnt under 34C at night here those times.
>
> Sorry Michael but PeterL and I live in true 'hot' climate. Neither of us
> are very familiar with snow. You'd get a giggle at me bundling up at 15C
> and looking like a snowman.

To sum it up : Salted butter seems to be an Anglo-Saxon thingie and
has nothing to do with temperature.
It surely isn't easy to find in Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Austria,
Switzerland, Hungary, Poland,etc.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

PeterL

Jun 15, 2009, 11:40:34 AM6/15/09

> To sum it up : Salted butter seems to be an Anglo-Saxon thingie and
> has nothing to do with temperature.

So why make a big deal out of the temperature thing???

You just shot yourself in the foot.

> It surely isn't easy to find in Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Austria,
> Switzerland, Hungary, Poland,etc.

Oh well...... maybe one day those countries will drag themselves out of
the dark ages and catch up with the rest of us.

:-)

blake murphy

Jun 15, 2009, 1:37:15 PM6/15/09
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 22:58:16 +0200, Victor Sack wrote:

> Steve <h...@wsx.inv> wrote:
>
>> When a recipe calls for butter or melted butter, does it mean salted
>> or unsalted butter? Any way to tell? Thanks!
>
> If there is no specification, it matters not in the least, especially if
> the recipe naturally contains any salt at all. Modern commercial salted
> butter has very little salt indeed.

i've been wondering this as well. even, say, spread on a piece of toast,
is the flavor that different? (i usually buy salted butter.)

your pal,
blake

Bob Muncie

Jun 15, 2009, 2:51:03 PM6/15/09

Yes. Unsalted butter is much sweeter.

sf

Jun 15, 2009, 3:32:34 PM6/15/09
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 14:51:03 -0400, Bob Muncie <bob.m...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Some people would call it "bland".

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Ed Pawlowski

Jun 15, 2009, 5:03:34 PM6/15/09

"blake murphy" <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> i've been wondering this as well. even, say, spread on a piece of toast,
> is the flavor that different? (i usually buy salted butter.)
>
> your pal,
> blake

To me, it tastes like whipped cream with no sugar. We rarely use unsalted
and cannot really tell in a recipe as the other ingredients usually
overpower it anyway. .

Dimitri

Jun 15, 2009, 5:28:25 PM6/15/09

"Steve" <h...@wsx.inv> wrote in message

> When a recipe calls for butter or melted butter, does it mean salted
> or unsalted butter? Any way to tell? Thanks!

Yes,

The default for baking is unsalted
The default for savory is salted

Unless otherwise specified you'll not go wrong with the above.

Dimitri

cshenk

Jun 15, 2009, 7:21:21 PM6/15/09
"PeterL" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote in

>> Sorry Michael but PeterL and I live in true 'hot' climate. Neither of
>> us are very familiar with snow. You'd get a giggle at me bundling up at
>> 15C and looking like a snowman.

> It's 15.6 here at the moment. Weekly highest average is supposed to be 21.

Just starting summer (2 weeks into it?) and 29 C was last I noted, but is
now almost chilly at what seems to be 24C. It's not a very detailed
thermometer and set a bit high up so hard to be really accurate. It's
pretty much sundown soon in an hour or so. Opened the house up as Don had
the AC on so it was probably hotter during the day.

> We've been up to 40.6 recently (12+ months ago)........ and that's right
> next
> to the coast/ocean!!

As you slide to winter, we cross match a bit. 40C is about it for here most
years, at least for several days running. Sasebo Japan was hotter but they
only post the weather station bit from a mountain top thats at least 10F
cooler normally than the ocean front parts.

> A pretty mild winter always heralds a bloody hot summer.

Same here. Mild winter. Doesnt bode well.

Dimitri

Jun 15, 2009, 7:17:45 PM6/15/09

"brooklyn1" <grave...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Don't need to freeze salted 5 months supply is enough.

Dimitri

http://www.joyofbaking.com/Butter.html

Butter comes in two forms salted and unsalted (sweet). Unsalted butter has
a shelf life of around 3 months refrigerated because it contains no
preservatives. Salted butter has a longer shelf life (up to 5 months)
because salt acts as a preservative. However, salt can overpower the sweet
flavor of the butter and can also mask any odors. The amount of salt added
to salted butter can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and it is hard
to know how much extra salt to add to your recipe. The rule of thumb is that
if you are substituting salted for unsalted butter in a recipe, omit the
extra salt in the recipe (i.e. Omit ? teaspoon of salt per 1/2 cup (113
grams) of butter).

Most butter has an expiry date on it. It should be stored well-wrapped in
foil away from any strong odors and in the coldest part of the refrigerator.
Foil is used to prevent exposure to light and air which can cause the butter
to oxidize and become stale. Check your butter's freshness by cutting a
small slice and the outside of the butter should be the same color as the
inside. If the outside is a darker color than the inside the butter has
oxidized. You can freeze butter for around six months. Just make sure you
defrost the butter overnight in the refrigerator before using it. It is
best not to use butter that has been frozen for baking, as freezing can
affect the texture of the butter and change its moisture content. When the
butter thaws it can be grainy with droplets of water.

Read more: http://www.joyofbaking.com/Butter.html#ixzz0IXlS3bOs&C

Bob Muncie

Jun 15, 2009, 7:21:06 PM6/15/09
Bob Muncie wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>> When a recipe calls for butter or melted butter, does it mean salted
>> or unsalted butter? Any way to tell? Thanks!
>>

> Steve - Unsalted butter is always better as far as I'm concerned. In
> fact, I don't know why they salt any butter. Why?
>
> Salted butter only adds sodium past what a recipe calls for.
>
> Bob

Victor Sack

Jun 15, 2009, 5:55:49 PM6/15/09
blake murphy <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote:

> i've been wondering this as well. even, say, spread on a piece of toast,
> is the flavor that different? (i usually buy salted butter.)

The differences between different types of butter are normally apparent
if tasted side-by-side with something relatively bland, like a piece of
bread or toast, but usually not in a cooked dish.

Victor

htn963

Jun 15, 2009, 6:08:29 AM6/15/09
On Jun 14, 9:21 am, Janet Wilder <kelliepoo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> htn963 wrote:
> > Salted butter keeps longer without going rancid -- which conversely is
> > why the better brands for unsalted butter comes in the more airtight
> > foil packaging rather than just paper.
>
> Since I never use salted butter, and we don't use very much unsalted
> butter, I keep my unsalted butter in the freezer. I defrost one stick at
> a time and that keeps well in a glass butter dish in my fridge. We go
> through one stick in two weeks as a rule.

To each their own, but frozen and then thawed-out butter just doesn't
sound appealing to me. Freezing foods (especially condiments of which
I treat butter as such) tend to subtly distort their taste and texture
to me and I avoid doing so whenever possible. (And if I could, I
would also get all my meat and seafood fresh, but then I'm a bit too
lazy to raise and slaughter or catch my own animals. Calling anyone
who knows of an area in the United States reliably, affordably and
safely serviced by such meat markets so I can move there for
retirement.:)) Also, unsalted butter doesn't taste any better to me
than salted butter and I'm not on a sodium restricted diet so I don't
worry about that issue.

Anyhow I never need to stock up on butter, as extra virgin olive oil
is *my* everyday default. For me, bread dip in a good olive oil
straight out of its bottle is as good (if not better) than bread with
butter.

> BTW, if you are going to use butter for pie crust, biscuits or other
> pastry, the frozen butter scraped over the large holes of a box grater
> makes the perfect sized pieces for incorporating with flour.

Yep, that's the way to do it as I gathered from the professionals.
But I hardly ever bake -- like I've said, I don't use butter much.

--
Ht

Cindy Hamilton

Jun 16, 2009, 9:30:15 AM6/16/09

Since I often add twice as much salt as a recipe calls for, the amount
of salt in the butter is irrelevant.

Cindy Hamilton

TerryinDTW

Jun 16, 2009, 12:19:05 PM6/16/09
On Jun 16, 9:30 am, Cindy Hamilton <angelicapagane...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> On Jun 14, 12:25 am, Bob Muncie <bob.mun...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Steve wrote:
> > > When a recipe calls for butter or melted butter, does it mean salted
> > > or unsalted butter? Any way to tell? Thanks!
>
> > Steve - Unsalted butter is always better as far as I'm concerned. In
> > fact, I don't know why they salt any butter. Why?
>
> > Salted butter only adds sodium past what a recipe calls for.
>
> > Bob

Salting makes butter last much longer. Next time you are at the store
check the expiration dates on salted vs unsalted.

Merryb

Jun 16, 2009, 12:30:53 PM6/16/09
On Jun 14, 9:21 am, Janet Wilder <kelliepoo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> htn963 wrote:
> > Salted butter keeps longer without going rancid -- which conversely is
> > why the better brands for unsalted butter comes in the more airtight
> > foil packaging rather than just paper.
>
> Since I never use salted butter, and we don't use very much unsalted
> butter, I keep my unsalted butter in the freezer. I defrost one stick at
> a time and that keeps well in a glass butter dish in my fridge. We go
> through one stick in two weeks as a rule.
>
> BTW, if you are going to use butter for pie crust, biscuits or other
> pastry, the frozen butter scraped over the large holes of a box grater
> makes the perfect sized pieces for incorporating with flour.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count.  Cooking does.

You are right about that- I use my salad shooter (one of the only uses
for it). It also works well for chocolate...

Bob Muncie

Jun 16, 2009, 1:20:45 PM6/16/09

That might be true, but I kept a lb of butter in the fridge practically
forever (sweet), and below 70, a stick in the dish on the counter will
last until consumed, so I never really noticed an expiration/spoilage issue.

Bob

Tracy

Jun 16, 2009, 1:29:22 PM6/16/09

I keep a stick on the counter in a covered dish too, except when it's
really hot and the butter melts.

Tracy